Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Hybrid MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• imjcleckeyimjcleckey Member Posts: 7
    Thanks larsb,

I don't think it is the oil pan or engine mount, since high octane wouldn't fix this. If you have a chance, try 89 - 93 octane gas and see if that fixes the knock for you, and report back. My guess is that the refineries have changed something relative to the refining process, and the resulting slightly lower octane is enough that the 07 TCH does not compensate for it and the car experiences precombustion ping. With the improved mileage, the high octane is actually more cost effective for me, so I'm not inclined to give the dealership a couple hundred dollars to look at it (and try to sell me some other service that I'm pretty sure the car does not neet).

Appreciate your feedback.
  • sunny12sunny12 Member Posts: 9
    Bought the for one week. found the Mileage of 2012 Camry hybrid is only 37.5 miles/gallon. is not even close to 41 miles/gallon described in its specification. Very disappointed... Anyone has the same issue?
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Give it a chance to break in. Good gosh you are only 10% below target. Most people would be very pleased with your results.
    If everyone think in your way, it is meaningless to put it in the specification.
    Thanks.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    The quoted mileage posted by the manufacturer and certified by the government is achieved under ideal conditions in a laboratory. Hardly anyone
    achieves this rating. use it for comparison purposes only. In the real world there are many factors that affect mileage. Stop and go driving, hilly country, cold weather, windy conditions, speed, etc. You are getting excellent mileage for a new car.
  • rhodiesrhodies Member Posts: 2
    We opted for the 2012 Camry hybrid LE rather than the XLE simply for the gas mileage advantage. Bottom line, we drive 650+ miles (the gas light indicator pops up with 3 gallons left) and we have gotten 42.6 mpg on the last two tanks. Mainly city driving, but a couple 100 mile country road trips involved also. I don't drive over 65 mph on the Interstates. The car has great handling compared to previous Camry hybrid models. All the pick up needed to get into fast traffic. I filled up with no-ethanol gas today and I'm curious if this will make any difference in fuel mileage. At almost $5 more for a fill up, it best show some improvement. I'll fill you in on the next fill up (usually three weeks).
    I am not sure what is the reason, now my new 2012 Camry hybrid gas mileage has been coming down from initial 37.5 miles/gallon to 36 miles/gallon.
    Anyone got any ideas?
  • snaab93se1snaab93se1 Member Posts: 69
    You will need to give us more information...What was the temperature outside? as this affects mileage, what pressure are your tires inflated to, What speed to you travel at on the highway? Do you accelerate slowly or do you have a lead foot? Have you read the many posts on this forum that tell you how to alter your driving to maximize fuel economy? Many factors will affect your mileage...the MPG rating on the window is an estimate...but you can likely beat it with adjustments to your driving depending upon many other variables. You can't expect the car to deliver the same mpg regardless of conditions....can you run 5 miles in the summer and drink the same amount of water as if you ran the same 5 miles in the winter? Conditions dictate the consumption...The MPG on the window sticker is an estimate and mileage may vary....but with some attention to driving habits you will be able to increase your MPG once the car and tires have broken in.
  • rhodiesrhodies Member Posts: 2
    Picked up our 2012 Camry in mid-November. After the first three gas fill ups, we're averaging 41.5 MPG. O.K., I'll admit that I'm having fun driving around like an old geezer milking the mileage for all its worth. My Prius owner brother-in-law said that this driving novelty mentality should wear off in five-to-seven years. I drive mainly in rural settings and in small towns with only two extended trips on an Interstate never going over 65 mph. An added note: I tried one full tank of $$ non-ethanol gas and there was no overall mileage difference.
  • briguywibriguywi Member Posts: 2
    Well, I find that my mileage varies from trip to trip, depending on all type of travel. I drive from a distant suburb about 15 miles home from work every day. Speed limit goes from 55 to 45 to 35 to 30 to 25 during the course, with lots of stop lights. Must be the ideal situation for a hybrid, because I regularly get over 50 MPG. Conversely, when on the FREEWAY, driving over 65, I usually get less, in the neighborhood of 36-38 MPG. Thankfully, most of my driving is around town and the suburbs, so I'm happy. My understanding is that this type of hybrid drive does indeed favor in-town driving over freeway. driving, in terms of MPG.

I guess to me, 37.5 MPG is excellent for a full size sedan with the quality of ride that the Camry delivers. Most people would be envious of MPGs in that range, on an average. Yes the Prius delivers more MPG, and of course the all-electric stuff goes to the next level, but the Prius has a rough ride and loud cabin noise, and the all-electric models have charging and cost problems. So in this category, 37.5 seems hardly disappointing to me.
  • hp2009hp2009 Member Posts: 65
    Hi,
    2012 camry hybrid.....it will take some time to figure out truth about mpg.....

since look at 2012 prius v (new one) same problem people have....33-37.0mpg ....which is huge problem some people have (look at priuschat.com) and i have been not active in forum but reading edmunds and prius chat....few times a week....so far regular prius has solid history which can be small for some people.....

2012 prius v ....cost wise 4000-5000 more for same prius engine.....with 6 inch longer....do u think it can carry load? i doubt it.....it will take some time for truth to come out ....so i never preffer to buy new model for one yr.....

2012 camry hybrid......cost reduce but still high.....camry always has trouble with hybrid verson in past ...so wait until real story on mpg come out....

recently motor trend(look prius chat...toyota camry section) did three vehicle compare,,hybrid sonata..2012 camry hybrid,jetta tdi,,,,,camry came with 300miles with 36-37mpg....which is almost same as regular camry...so why buy hybrid....

thanks
    hp
  • swingmanswingman Member Posts: 54
    Since when does the regular camry get anywhere close to 36-37mpg in city or combined city/highway driving?

If you're talking close to 100% highway driving,then the hybrid is probably pointless as the biggest improvement for hybrids is in the city.

Touting highway mpg on a regular camry as being comparable is a bit pointless for anyone that does mainly city driving.
  • bfitz1bfitz1 Member Posts: 2
    Bought a new 2012 TCH XLE last weekend and am averaging 48mpg so far in mixed city/highway driving. I've used just over a quarter of a tank in roughly 300 miles of driving. It is virtually impossible not to get the advertised mileage if you use the ECO DRIVE mode. The weather in Boston has been cold and I've kept the heat set at 70 degrees on the "AUTO" setting with the AC off. I can't believe how quickly this car heats up. Using the re-directed exhaust gases to heat the engine block is ingenious and really works!

I have to say, the EV Mode really works as well! I've been able to coast along in slow traffic for at least 1.2 - 2 miles at a time; and, the battery reaches full charge quickly if you let the regenerative brakes do their job and glide to a stop when possible.

Considering I am achieving this sort of mileage during the break in period, I can't wait to see what I can achieve later!

I really love the quality and value built into this car. The ride quality is excellent and the Navigation and Audio System is beyond superb!

Great Car!
  • rctolanrctolan Member Posts: 6
    from dealer to home.....2200' to 4200' at 65 MPH and 4 trips to town and back @ 33 miles each (same elevation change) 36.9 MPG (65 degrees F). Now learning the tricks using EV mode and ECO mode. Cruise control works well. In Normal mode the acceleration and sensitivity to the pedal is impressive. Freeway on ramps are a breeze!
  • graveywavygraveywavy Member Posts: 1
    I have an older Camry Hybrid from 2007. It was rated around 38 mpg at the time, but I only got that during the break-in period. In reality, I get around 33 mpg (ranges from 32-35) in mixed driving. I live in Southern California.

The new 2012 Camry Hybrid should achieve a little more since Toyota shed some of the weight to improve gas mileage on the Hybrid. However, I still doubt the lighter Camry Hybrid will go above 40mpg after break-in period.

BTW, Camry is considered mid-size (as opposed to large-size by someone's earlier post).
  • nettechnettech Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2007 Camry Hybrid too, and I'm averaging 39 mpg in mixed city and highway travel (these are gas test numbers, not the ones the trip computer calculates). The PSI in my tires is at the maximum recommended by the manufacturer, I drive like a grandma at times, and rarely do I "hit the gas" but rather ease into my accelerations, and coast whenever I can.

However, the point is that it is "doable" even in the older TCH model if you're willing to make the appropriate changes to your driving habits. Have to admit, it was funny to watch everyone pass me on the way to a red light this morning while I didn't have to slow my momentum down and got to the light right as it turned green. Its small changes like that that squeeze a few extra MPGs out of a gas tank.
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    edited February 2012
    nettech says, "Have to admit, it was funny to watch everyone pass me on the way to a red light this morning while I didn't have to slow my momentum down and got to the light right as it turned green. Its small changes like that that squeeze a few extra MPGs out of a gas tank."

Good point, and one thing I enjoy also. After 7.5 years now driving my hybrids, I have learned to "scout ahead" and see what a light might be doing by the time I get there and adjust to it.

TOO MANY PEOPLE just *ZOOM* from traffic signal to traffic signal, burning (wasting) precious gas for the benefit of sitting through another light.

It's. Stoopid.

I have averaged about 34 MPG over the 5.5 years I have owned my 2007 TCH. Not hugely great, but better than a similarly-sized non-hybrid would get.
  • chris_s_2010chris_s_2010 Member Posts: 2
    Just finished a trip from Toronto to Florida and back in my "new" 2010 TCH. I kept track of fill-ups and the mileage at each key point. I took the route through the Carolinas and Virginias so there was a lot of up and down. On the way down, I used cruise part of the time. On the way back, I used cruise for almost the whole trip. I was generally 5 mph over the limit so it mostly varied between 70 - 75 mph. I did about 400 local, mostly highway, miles in Florida. Tires were set to 35 lbs.

By my calculations, I got 41 mpg on the way down (including the local mileage there) and 40 mpg on the way back. I used 70 gal of gas for 2885 miles. The trip computer in the car provided numbers between 35.7 and 39.2 for various segments of the trip.

I'm more than happy with this result but it seems almost too good based on what most other people have reported. The mileage is accurate and I'm pretty sure that we recorded the fill-ups accurately.
  • wae1wae1 Member Posts: 1
    Well I am starting to get great mpg's from my 2012 Camry XLE Hybrid (convenience package, moon roof, display navigation and entunes, leather package). I live in cold cold Wisconsin and with the weather warmer today, my eco drive level reached 50.3 mpg!!! I was also able to snap a picture with the eco drive level at 49.5 with 1947 miles on the car, and outside temperature of 32 degrees fahrenheit driving in town.
  • nettechnettech Member Posts: 4
    Chris, those numbers don't look all that unreasonable to me. As long as you are using the CC, the TCH is very good with fuel economy on the highway. I have a five mile stretch on a parkway I take every day on the way to work, and the MPG meter is routinely at 50-60 MPG. Of course, I'm only going 60 mph, but the car still does well even at higher speeds. I'm currently at 42 MPG on this newest tank of fuel (mixed city/highway driving) and I'm hoping to do even better when I eventually move to the Goodyear Fuelmax tires.
  • camry_fancamry_fan Member Posts: 2
    Almost love my 2012 TCH XLE! Over 6K on the vehicle w/a consistent 38.6 MPG -- 80% hwy mileage :) The MPG estimate the car reports has been w/in 1-2 tenths of manual calculation. Very accurate. However, the cruise range and fuel guage are an entirely different issue. 17 gal tank (not counting the fill tube) and I have yet to put more than 15 gal in the car after the range meter reads zero and the fuel guage is empty. The only exception was last night when I left work. Car was on empty (fuel wrn light on for 40+ mi), range = 0 and I drove home (42 miles). Filled up the next morning w/15.5 gal. Counting tube capacity, that conservatively leaves 2.5 gal left and on a hybrid - an easy 90+ miles! Been two two different Toyota dealers to investigate/repair -- telling me (after coord with "Toyota") the car is still in "learning mode". Love the mileage, too bad I have absolutely no idea how far I can actually drive!! This is absurd. At one time my range guage read 499 mile after a fill up. Equates to 12.9 mpg for 17 gal! Learning mode or not - that is just ridiculous! :mad:
    Here's a tip for you:

In my 2007 TCH, I have figured out I have about 3 gallons left in the 17 gallon tank when the computer shows "Cruising Range 0"

With that in mind, when I see that message, I immediately take what the computer shows as the "MPG this tank" and subtract 2 miles per gallon from it, then multiply that times 17.

That will give me the total amount of estimated "REAL total miles driven" I can get in this tank.

This system works great. I usually drive until there is more than 15 gallons used up before refilling the tank.

Example:
    1. system shows Cruising Range 0.
    2. MPG on the car computer shows 34.8 MPG.
    3. I subtract 2 MPG from that, leaving me 32.8 MPG.
    4. I multiply 32.8 by 17 and get 557.6
    5. My "miles driven so far this tank" on the car computer shows 459.6.
    6. I subtract 459.6 from 557.6 and get 98 miles.
    7. Therefore, I know I need to fill up sometime in the next 98 miles, OR, before the "miles driven so far this tank" gets to 557.6.

Try this and see if it works for you. I'd bet a dozen doughnuts it will !! :shades:
  • camry_fancamry_fan Member Posts: 2
    Sounds like a plan - I really appreciate your input. I'll try it and see how it goes. Thanks Much :)
  • scubapriusscubaprius Member Posts: 1
    There is a big difference of the drivability between normal and eco, I don't like the eco mode, and my normal mode drive in local only yields 35 +- in Altanta mild winter. The same time I can get 55+ out of my 2008 Prius, I don't think they are giving the right MPG on the sticker, we had such high hope before. But, the comfort and power is superior comparing to my little Prius.
    45 mile roundtrips to town and back at normal traffic speed.....39 mpg (55 deg F) front tires 38psi, rear 44 psi). 45 mile roundtrips with newbie hypermiling coming uphill and using EV.....43 mpg. To and from LA (270 miles) at freeway speeds..jackrabbit lights...sticking with traffic.....39 mpg. (all computed with full tanks and division)
    These two items are not usually highlighted but deserve to be. The other evening there is a short stretch of passing lane here on the desert. I was surprised that passing two trucks brought the car to just touch the 100 mph mark! With this kind of power and a seamless transmission the car goes up and down hills using cruise control like a dream. It's possible under CC that you won't notice the engine coming on and turning off under normal driving. Be nice to your fellow drivers as they may not have this constancy and when one is hypermiling they could get very agitated. It's amazing the amount of gas that is wasted rushing from traffic light to traffic light.
  • caazcaaz Member Posts: 209
    COLD WEATHER
  • caazcaaz Member Posts: 209
    So throw a 2 gallon gas can in the trunk when its almost empty and run it out. then you'll know.
  • whatever16whatever16 Member Posts: 1
    A couple of questions. I've only got about 1700 miles on my Camry Hybrid, and have it in Eco mode all the time. However I'm only getting a bit over 35 mpg in half city/half highway driving. A bit disappointing and I was wondering if I'm doing something wrong. Secondly was curious what the EV mode does. Often when I try and go into EV mode it tells me that EV mode is unavailable, and even when it does seem to be available it blinks out immediately. Any advice is appreciated.
    Well, this is a tough question. After 7.5 years of driving two hybrids, I can offer you some suggestions.

1. My 2007 TCH has 92K miles, and I have averaged about 34 MPG over that time, with about an 85% City/15% Hwy mix living in Phoenix. So at least 7 months of the year I have the A/C running, which creates a drag on mileage. so your 35 MPG is not unreasonable.

2. Short trips are tough on MPG in all cars, but are more noticeable when you have a car with which you are studying the mileage. Are many of your trips short? That will kill the mileage, because the hybrid system is at it's best efficiency when the engine is fully warmed up.

3. My personal recommendation is to inflate your tires to 40 PSI. I think the manual says 32 PSI, but you'll gain a little mileage boost by keeping them inflated a little higher. If you do regular tire maintenance (rotating tires every other oil change, checking the PSI once a month, etc) you won't lose any tire life by inflating them up a little bit.

4. Read up on an accelerator technique called "feathering." It can give you a 1-2 MPG per tank boost if done often and correctly.

5. Don't carry any extra weight in your car. Every pound will draw-down additional MPG. Only carry what you absolutely need.

6. All the standard MPG tips apply - no "jackrabbit" starts, don't accelerate quickly from red light to red light, try to watch ahead a few blocks and regulate your speed when you know you are going to hit a red light or a green light up ahead, etc.

To get the full MPG benefit of your hybrid, you'll have to be a more conscientious driver, and pay attention to some little details.

Good luck and let us know how it goes !!

Happy Hybriding !!! :shades:
  • britzbritz Member Posts: 1
    I noticed one of the 2012 Toyota Camry LE Hybrid Adds listed a cruising range (something like 615 miles, 15 * 41 mpg combined) that had a small footnote stating that it was based on 15 gallons. So I suspect that Toyota figures the last 2 gallons is a safety factor. If you use the whole 17 gallons you would get close to 700 miles.

I am on my first tank of gas and (2012 TCH LE) in hilly Seattle with winter conditions, winter gas (lower fuel energy value), an engine not yet broken, lots of short trips (<13 miles), mainly city driving, running in ECO mode I have averaged 38 mpg on the first 1/2 of the tank of gas. I have noticed as others have noted that the first warmup miles (lets say 3 miles), the mpg is much lower. Than if I keep driving the mpg goes up from about 25 for the trip ending at 38 average. I have tried some trips where I first warmed up the engine, restarted the car to start a new trip and have then gotten as high as 48-51 mpg city in ECO mode. So I am so far very optimistic that once the engine is broken in, summer fuel blend is available and I try driving a longer trip I will definitely get the kind of mpg the EPA ratings state or better. My previous car was a 2008 Acura TL Type S with 286 hp (17/26 EPA MPG, 92 octane only). So far I am loving waving at the gas stations as I drive by and figure I am cutting my fuel costs in 1/2. My TL got 20 mpg commuting (17 if I used the heated seats and auto climate control). So I am pumped about getting around 40 mpg and using 87 octane instead of 92.
    edited March 2012
    Well, whatever16: I had the same question and couldn't find the answer written anywhere on the 2012 TCH. There are two (or maybe....technically only one) EV mode/s. The first is the pseudo EV mode that you will see on the highway when you come down off a hill and EV lights up on the left and the arrow points from the battery to the wheels. THIS EV mode can operate at higher speeds while the EV mode which is actuated by the EV button (next to the eco button) and lights up the upper right EV mode icon operates only a very low speeds and will stay engaged only if the battery is charged and a very light touch on the accelerator doesn't kick the motor on. A very delicate touch is needed to keep this "pure" EV mode going and the worst condition is starting up from a full stop. In traffic the EV SLOW START probably aggravates every other driver and it shows how much fuel everyone is dumping in stop and go driving with jack rabbit starts probably dumping 3 times as much fuel as an EV slow start in the TCH. On a route I travel several times a week I've learned to use EV mode (both kinds) in town, usually on routes where people can easily get around me (4 lane roads) and on streets where there is no traffic. IF I slow down I can get 50 MPG on this route where in the beginning I could only get 40mpg. The cost is time for it will take about 50% longer to get somewhere :-)

Slowing down can't in general this can't be done on highway and city travel but even then you could be spending about 1/3 less at the pump with a hybrid.
    If you wonder why the 2012 TCH can hit 100 mph in a passing zone it's because the car probably has 300 HP between both engines. Top speed is supposedly a 'governed' 118 mph.
  • dfunktdfunkt Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my 2012 Camry Hybrid LE about 2 weeks ago and I too am getting about 33-35 mpg combined city/hwy on eco mode all the time. I try to put it in EV mode but for the most part, it shuts off right away, so whats the point?? I feel the battery pack doesn't hold that much charge at all. I love the way it drives but I think this is a sham because I have not gotten anywhere near their declared epa mileage at all and I tried hard not to jackrabbit nor speed up so fast at all. And that is without anything else in the car; no luggage, no passengers.

Yeah, so any tips would be nice. But I guess for now, I will try to hypermile it by following big rigs and hyperinflate my tires a bit. Hope this works!!
    My credentials: Hybrid advocate since 2004. Prior owner of 2004 HCH, current owner (94K miles) of 2007 TCH.

Let me try to allay some of your fears.

First off, it's not a "sham" in ANY way. EPA mileage is an estimate - some people get more, some people get less - but NOTHING is guaranteed in life, including that an owner will *ALWAYS* achieve or surpass the EPA *ESTIMATED MPG*.

My lifetime mileage in my 2007 TCH is right around 34 MPG, so your results are not out of line at all.

Some people get better mpg, some get less.

Highway MPG for me personally is better than city. I have gotten as high as 44.88 MPG for a full highway tank to as low as 26.55 for a full highway tank.

EV mode works best at lower speeds, when the battery is full.

Learn how to "feather" the accelerator. Google it and all the instructions are there.

I have safely run my tires at 40 PSI without undue wear.

Your mileage may or may not improve over 33-35 MPG. But you still have the only Camry which can consistently achieve that figure.
  • retired23retired23 Member Posts: 2
    I have only had the 2012 THC XLE for 2 weeks and 600 miles but I must say I am very pleased. I have been averaging around 40 mpg in mixed city and highway driving. I have been just leaving it in ECO mode and haven't changed my driving style. It's still rather cold here in Wisconsin so I expect the mileage will only improve as it gets warmer and the engine continues to break in. I have only found 2 negatives concerning the car. First, are the tires that came on the car. They were Bridgestone Turanzos which are really junk tires. I traded them in on Michelin Primacy MXMRs. Second, there was a lot of wind noise coming from the drivers window when closed. They are replacing the window channel weather stripping which should take care of that problem.
  • fallouhfallouh Member Posts: 1
    Guys, I need your advice,
    I've noticed that my TCH doesnt turn off the engine and switch to Electric mode fast even if the engine temperature is high, the only way to force the car to switch to electic is by stopping on the side for 3~5 seconds, then engine shuts down and I can drive on EV mode. Any idea what is causign this?
  • sportsducksportsduck Member Posts: 2
    I drive about 70 miles a day with a mix of local, highway, and stop and go traffic (drive in early NYC rush hour). Only had the car for 500 miles but getting as advertised: 40.5 MPG. Admittedly I have a heavy foot at the start so I'm happy with what I've gotten thus far especially since I'm coming from a mini van. Tried the ECO mode a few times but the engine became too sluggish for my taste. Granted that's why the ECO mode is there, to improve your MPG, but part of the reason why I went for the hybrid was that it was peppier than the 2.4 cyl version and to to save 1 or 2 MPG I'll keep the peppiness. Used the EV in parking lots and some backed up highway merges so that was nice.
  • hbqiaohbqiao Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I am curious on the result of the wind noise reduction you mentioned. I also noticed the excessive wind noise on my 2012 Camry hybrid LE. Here is a link that people discuss this: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/310-7th-generation-2012/397399-ge- n-7-wind-noise-9.html.I have applied the change in the link and it may helped, but still not satisfied,
  • retired23retired23 Member Posts: 2
    This is a little off topic but I was asked to post the result of having the driver's window glass channel replaced to reduce wind noise. It was a success. Immediately after having the glass channel replaced we drove 265 miles on the interstate and there was no wind noise comming from above the drivers window. Ninety percent of the trip was at 70 mph and I averaged 41.2 mpg. I am really pleased with the TCH.
  • craigmainecraigmaine Member Posts: 1
    Just to chime in on MPG on our 2012 TCH Le. We are getting around 40 mpg in mixed driving in rural Maine. Have taken two long trips almost all on interstates and got 47 mpg on one trip and 45 mpg on another. This is careful driving but I was always keeping up with traffic 60 to 70 mph. Very happy with the car.
  • tjackson12336tjackson12336 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2009 with 145,000 miles and when driving carefully can get between 41 and 43.5 mpg per tank (summer-mileage not as good with winter driving as others in this forum have mentioned). If I don't pay attention will tpically be beteen 36 and 38 mpg. I drive 90 miles round trip each day to work and my drive is 60% city/country roads and 40% highway. Let me define driving carefully:
    1) I keep the display on mileage per tank and am always trying to drive to increase my mileage. It's actual a fun game.
    2) On city/country roads I accelerate normally to just above the speed limit then let off the accelerator and let the MPG guage drop into E mode and try to nurse it as long as possible.
    3) I drive the speed limit on highways typically a posted 70. This can take some patience especially if you have a heavy foot.
    4) I always use cruise control on the highway AND where possible on city/country roads. If I use the pedal and am not focused on my gauges find my "heavy foot" hurting my mileage.

I hope this helps.
  • robertdesrobertdes Member Posts: 1
    We have had the TCH for three weeks now and couldn't be happier. I was very impressed with the mileage displayed but wanted to verify at the pump. Display after first 330 miles was 40.4 and the pump calculated out to 44.4 mpg. This seemed high and in hind sight with topping up less then half a tank on a hot day fuel expansion might have given an optimistic reading. So second top up at 420 miles on a cold car I combined the two getting 41.4 on the car display and the pump said 41.38. Can't get much closer than that. Today, 460 miles and display read 41.5 and the pump said 41.09. I am very happy with these numbers. I have to admit I am watching the readout and playing the numbers, starting very smoothly, keep closer to the speed limit than in the past and looking ahead more (all great safety habits not considering mpg). I drive about 80% city 20% hwy so these numbers are spot on with the EPA. Considering I was getting 22 mpg combined (also matching EPA) in the same conditions in my 2003 accord v6 this is a pretty impressive improvment. The TCH has the same 0-60 time as the accord so I am not losing anything. Considering the TCH has more room and a quieter ride, it is really a win win. According to fueleconomy.gov calculator I will be saving $1,400 a year over the Accord.
    My biggest complaint is that you need a key to open the trunk. I think it should be unlocked if the car is unlocked. My kids are constantly throwing sports gear in the trunk and i have to remember to pull the release. But that shows how impressed I am with this car that the trunk release stands out. So far really pleased with my first Toyota.
  • hihostevohihostevo Member Posts: 59
    We have owned 3 Prius's in the past ('05, '08, & '10) and still have the '05. We just traded the "10 in on a TCH. It is a loaded XLE model and the EPA estimate was 38 - 40. I test drove it around town for about an hour being very cautious with the throttle and feathering the throttle whenever possible, without being crazy about it. After about an hour of driving both on side streets and the freeway I had averaged 49.8mpg according to the cars computer.
    After purchase I reset the calculator filled the tank, loaded the car and set out to northern Utah. As this is a mountainous uphill trek I decided to make it as horrible as possible. I just used the cruise control with no attempt at maximizing mileage. Now I did not keep the speed the same for the whole trip as I was trying to vary the speeds during the break-in period but we were cruising between 65 and 85 for the entire trip. At the end of the trip the cars computer read 33.8 mpg. However when I filled the car at the pump the math said I had averaged slightly over 40mpg. After 4 days in Northern Utah we were on our way back to Vegas. we have owned the car for about 10 days and have 1100+ miles on the car. We live in the Southern end of town and so have to drive uphill for the last 8 miles to our home, but the car's computer says we are averaging 42mpg and the math at fillup says 45.

I have noticed that if I drive "without" the cruise control on I consistently get better mileage... I guess I have learned some "habits" with the gas pedal driving the Prius all these years that translate well to the Camry. However, for our semi-weekly trips to northern Utah I simply set the cruise control and let the computer do the work... just plain lazy I guess!

As we tend to put about 55,000 miles on a car in 23 months I will learn more about the car as the months go by. So far we are quite happy and figure the car will cost about $300 more per year in fuel than the Prius.
  • anghuggins123anghuggins123 Member Posts: 1
    Our 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid battery died at 100,090 miles. Toyota says that it is passed the 100k mile warranty, so no help on the costs. The Toyota dealership said that it would be $4000, including labor, and 2 weeks to get a new battery installed. No warning, just died in traffic. So stressful and so sad. Just beside myself with what to do. We've always been Honda loyalists, now feel like we've made a poor choice in choosing a Toyota. :(
    Well, this seems completely fake. These traction batteries don't "die" all of a sudden like a 12V car battery.

You would have noticed a gradual reduction in battery charge capability. They don't just one day stop working.

If I'm wrong and this is a true story and not just a troll, you can certainly get help with this.

Toyota WILL help you to keep you a customer.

Google how to use an "E-Mail Carpet Bomb" and target Toyota brass with this.

Your circumstance is highly unusual and highly unlikely.
  • cdn_tchcdn_tch Member Posts: 194
    This is the transition point between mode 3 and mode 4. When the engine temp reaches 70oC, you need to stop for 7 seconds with the engine running for the system to change to mode 4. At that point you can get the TCH to switch to EV mode at lower speeds. In Mode 2 & 3, you must exceed ~35mph before the TCH can be feathered into EV mode.
  • newmoon49newmoon49 Member Posts: 1
    After five months and 6400 miles, readout shows average 43.3 MPG (Hybrid LE.) This is mostly combined city/highway (about 75% highway), commute around 20 miles each way, plus surface streets in local neighborhood. I drive conservatively (as always) and don't go over 60MPH on the freeway. I have gotten "hooked" on watching the trip fuel economy readout. I feel a certain psychological reward when I do well, and have learned a few tricks to boost the mileage somewhat. I am amused to see cars racing past at frantic speeds. Some people seem to think the onboard computer is off the mark on reading fuel economy, either too high or too low. But I figure I am saving over $100 a month compared to my previous 1998 non-hybrid Camry LE, based on how often I fill up. That is the bottom line. So far, I am amazed at the combination of MPG, size, comfort and power in the 2012 Camry Hybrid.
  • shook4shook4 Member Posts: 4
    I own a 2007 TCH with 56K miles. I have been reading about hybrid battery overheating problems on the Prius due to the hybrid battery cooling fans being dirty, reducing the airflow to the battery. One of these postings recommended cleaning this cooling fan every 60K miles as a part of the normal maintenance. The 2007 Prius does not have a filter prior to the fan input air flow. When the fan gets dirty, the reduced air flow causes the hybrid battery to overheat and this could result in reduced hybrid battery life or in extreme cases total battery failure. Has anyone experienced this problem on a TCH vehicle. Does the TCH have a filter prior to the hybrid battery cooling fan. I would much prefer cleaning the filter or the fan over a costly hybrid battery replacement. I would appreciate any input...