Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• stopgostopgo Member Posts: 16
    I have a Disco HSE with the Harmon Kardon Navigation system. Occasionally since I purchased it in October this year, the system has behaved oddly. It will change modes from CD to Radio on it's own and ultimately go into a "shut down" where I have to execute a "reset" on the system in order to get it to work again.

Anyone else having any trouble with their system???

Thanks
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    From what i have read & heard, the ACE system is somewhat unreliable (system failure, breaks here and there). I would get one withOUT the ACE for sure! With the '03 updates, ACE is really not needed very much (as long as you realize that you're driving a SUV, not a sports car).

The ONLY vehicle (from your list) that can make it is the 4Runner, which uses the same 4-wheel traction control system as the LR Disco. MDX may make it IF it has enough ground clearance (it has a clutch-based "pseudo" locker in the rear diff).

• SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Regarding the "competition"...

The MDX is based on the Honda Minivan platform. I would never do any serious off road work with it.

The QX4 is a tarted up pathfinder and that is a good off road truck, even if it is unibody.

The new 4Runner will do just about anything off road a Disco would, but it is not built nearly as tough. Smaller bolts, thinner stampings, etc, etc. The Discovery is way overbuilt and that is a good thing.

If I was dropping $40k on a new SUV, and planned to due a lot of off road work, then a new Discovery would be my #1 choice by a long shot.
  • denver8denver8 Member Posts: 42
    I was in Santa Fe over thanksgiving visiting the mother in law and they have a Land Rover Dealer and mercedes Dealer next door to each other. It was fun to see the differences in the dealers off road tracks. The Land Rover off road track has the usual hill climb and turn with the side slopes to demonstrate the stability of the Land Rover. The Mercedes track for the G-wagen was just a steep hill with a g-wagen parked on top. Mercedes did a good job of making their hill a lot higher for a nice effect but they did not have any side angle stuff. They also placed it at the edge of the lot so the two tracks are side-by-side.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    ...this topic seems to have the highest concentration of ACCURATE LR knowledge. What's your opinion of the Freelander(yes, I know it's not a "real" Land Rover;) ). Anyway, the local LR dealer has a couple of service loaner "S" models with less than 15K miles for sale at @$22K. Full warranty of course. It would be my wife's car as she likes AWD as well as the Freelander's compact size. The only off roading it will see is an unplowed gravel driveway. Yea? Nay? Me, I'd prefer a Disco, but the price and fuel economy of the Freelander are awful tempting. Thanks!
    My opinion of the Freelander is not that it "isn't a real Rover" it's that it is severely outdated. I just don't see anything that elevates it above the competition. (Liberty, Escape/Tribute, CRV, RAV4, etc.)

Have you checked out the Liberty? Pretty cool little truck.
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    Do any of the vehicles you mentioned come standard with a 5 speed automatic with command shift, Electronic Traction control, Heated Mirrors and windscreen, and Hill Descent Control? Freelander does look a bit outdated, but it has a lot of state-of-the-art features and is built as solid as any other Land Rover product. As in the Discovery a lot of the value is in the things you can't see or touch.
    I've given the Liberty some thought, but I'd almost certainly have to order one to my specs-Off Road Pkg, heated seats, NO sunroof-which would raise the price to $26K+. Next, the closest dealer has a truly pathetic service department, which is not good since the Liberty's reliability appears to be somewhat less than sterling(OTOH, my 1999 Wrangler has been fairly trouble free-as it should be considering how long Toledo has been throwing them together). I suppose my point is that it seems a $22K pre-owned Freelander is a better value than a new "soft roader" from the US or Japan.
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    I doubt that the 4Runner is "lesser" built than the Disco. My '02 4Runner Limited 4wd actually cost MORE than my brother's '01 LR Disco SE. Feature-wise, the 4Runner actually was slightly less (fake wood, leather of lower quality, smaller, etc.). I find this interesting because LR is a luxury brandname...and foreign as is Toyota. Why?? Toyota 4Runner especially has legendary durability.

If you guys get a chance, crawl underneath a 4Runner (1996-2002)...it is extremely well-built with full armor protection...fully-boxed frame & fully-boxed crossmembers (ALL high-strength steel). Approach/departure angle is superb. Ground clearance is class-leading (i have 10.5" of TRUE--lowest point on 4Runner--ground clearance with 265/75/16 tires; standard tires are 265/70/16). The front control arms on the IFS (a weak point for articulation) is also fully-boxed.

Haha! :-) I can see I'm outvoted on the Freelander, no problem. :-)

I just wasn't impressed with it, and I don't think it is as solid a piece as the Discovery. But opinions vary, and I'm happy to agree to disagree.

They certainly do offer a TON of value slightly used though.
  • nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    I picked up my DI for $26k at 9 months of age. How's that for a discount? It's my recommendation... you still have lots of warranty left and if there are chronic problems the shop can pull up the details by VIN.

Win / Win.
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    Bob:
    I feel like we've moved to Alaska. That big snow/ice storm came thru here and made a mess. We're at 5500', and above the inversion, so we got a lot of rain, but now it's feezing and the only thing moving is the snow plows, LR's, and my ML. Gotta love the weather!!!
    Cheers
    Pat
  • miked03miked03 Member Posts: 21
    I have a 03 disco, which I took out today in about 7 inches of snow, weeeeeeeeee. It was fun, but have some questions for some of the more experienced out there. The anti lock brakes worked just fine, but the noises they made were quite alarming and the pulsing was rather rapid. Sound normal? The traction control also sounded strange, a loud winding noise. Any advise would be appreciated.

Note - I have experience with anti lock brakes on dry pavement from testing more docile vehicles and traction control on my 00 Passat, and in comparison, the Disco is unique to say the least.
    Mike- Two comments:
    1. Each manufacturer decides how much feedback the ABS will provide to the driver.
    2. The ABS system will be especially intrusive as the friction coefficient approaches 0. Ditto for the traction control.
    I drive a DI so I can't really speak to the sounds from the DII. But I suspect they use the same basic layout and components, so... what you're hearing sounds about right. Mine sounds like someone dropping steel bearings on a metal table, and it does cycle very quickly.

I disabled my ABS so when I get into really ugly, nasty deep snow and bury the truck I can use the throttle and brakes to spin the wheels and then stop the drivetrain immediately as I shift to reverse/drive attempting to clear myself. When the ABS is active, you stomp the brakes to halt the spinning drivetrain before shifting, and the ABS activates and won't STOP the drivetrain... and you just tear up parts trying to clear yourself.

I believe the ABS pump is used to apply partial braking to the spinning wheel. So what you hear is probably the pump working.

Enjoy the DII in the snow! What a hoot!
  • schoolerlakeschoolerlake Member Posts: 4
    Would you please get me info on VIN VA373256. I'm looking for build date and warranty info. Thanks.
    Your Discovery was built on 10/04/01 and has had only one warranty repair.
    Your Range Rover was built on 05/23/97 and up to 30,000 miles had a quite extensive warranty listing, typical problems for the vehicle. at that point it seems to have slowed way down, no repairs until 1 at 70,000 miles.
    Take heart, folks... if you have warranty issues they show up soon in your truck's life and once fixed, tend to stay fixed. Tincup showed us another example; that's what my truck did too, but I haven't had any further repair issues in 4 years.

Holy smokes... what am I SAYING???!!!! I take it back! Lord Lucas... DON'T LISTEN!!!!
  • kbowenkbowen Member Posts: 58
    What do you guys think about it? My D2 lease is up next year and the Hummer 2 looks very attractive. The D2 has been great, except for those 18" low profile tires that have absolutely no business being on a serious off road vehicle.

I also understand the Defender won't be back in the good old USA until 2006. I was also considering that since it was supposed to be here in 2004. Anyone know about that?
  • r178r178 Member Posts: 10
    I've seen this link while reading throughout the forum. They have what seems to be great deals (which is really hard to tell since I'm looking only at pictures over the web) Does anyone have experience with buying vehicles on the web? If you guys/gals have any spare time check 'em out and let me know your opinion.

http://www.bvlandrovers.com/browse.phppage=showroom

I guess with anything else in life it has its pros and cons, just thought maybe some experienced car buyers out there could state the obvious that I may miss. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

V/R YN2

• mrtoad3mrtoad3 Member Posts: 68
    I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who thinks the 18" tires are worthless offroad.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    Kind of looks like a bloated lunch box. Way too pricey for a GM truck.
  • kimobonnkimobonn Member Posts: 8
    Well, my Mother just test drove one about 2 weeks ago. She liked it alot, but she had some issues. 1) the warranty sucks (3/36) You can get an extended, but you are going to pay a lot for it (2 - 4 grand, and they arn't that great). 2) The gas mileage is horrible (8-10 city 12 highway) Granted, you would not buy this for the mpg, but come on... 3) It is big. This may not be a problem, but if you can't fit it in your garage, time to take out a home improvement loan.....!!!!! 4). You can't get any other type of engine, just the 6Litre V8.. Other than that, it was a comfortable ride, very spacious (not as much head room though)...

Kimo
  • kimobonnkimobonn Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the info. I believe the warranty repair was for a faulty windows mech. I just put over a 1000 miles on it (in 2 weeks), and I still love going out side to take a look at it.

I have to say, while the 18" wheels might not be great off-road, they look fantastic on this truck. To me, the 16" wheels just don't look as good...

Kimo
    You are right about the repair. And you had the same opinion about the 18" rims and tires that our marketing people found with their research. As an aside on this, the New Range Rover wasn't on the market a week before we had requests if 22-24" wheels would fit the vehicle.
    Sounds like typical Ford decisions. 18" wheels because they look good; independent suspension because it rides nice; and so on. I fear the Land Rover line is turning into the stuff soccer moms, not off roaders, dream about. But the 18" size is not the problem, it's the low profile of the tire. Why not a larger rim with a beefy tire. I bought the DII because the Jeep Grand Cherokee I had didn't cut it off road. Just this summer alone--my first real off road vacation in the D2-- I had 4 (that's FOUR)flats in two weeks, all off road. I bought this vehicle for it's toughness, and it is indeed tough; so why put ballerina slippers on it and continue to soften it up so you have nothing more than an over priced Explorer. If it ain't broke.........
    The decision to use 18" rims and the necessary low profile tires (there is only so much clearance to be had) was made in 1998. Ford did not buy Land Rover until June of 2000. The prior owner? BMW! They were also the owners when New Range Rover (with 4 wheel independent suspension) was designed. British Aerospace was in charge when Freelander was concieved and BMW was in charge when it was launched in 1997 in Europe. Please criticize the right company. :) Your comments on the trend to soften all SUV's is on target, but that is a direct response to realities of the marketplace. ACE equipped vehicles were seen as being more for people who wanted improved on-road handling and ride as opposed to off-road capabilities, hence the 18" rims and tires. Given that even Land Rover's are used off road by less than 15-20% of their customers, to a marketing person the decision made sense.
  • jlzjlz Member Posts: 5
    Recently, I got a small dent on windshield on my '01 Disco. I was waiting 'till
    January to replace it, and apply insurance deductible toward the next
    year. Couple of nights later, it was cold enough for Disco to automatically start
    blowing hot air directly to the windshield. Immediately, small dent became big crack across
    almost entire windshield. So, I told goodbye to my deductible and arranged
    with my local dealer to replace it. They hired some outside glass repair shop,
    and job was done in one day (never mind that I had to reattach hose to the windshield
    water nozzles). Few days later, I opened the cargo door and noticed that the plastic buttons
    that cover screws that hold plastic paneling around left rear glass panel were popped
    out. Also, I noticed that left rear glass panel has no wires on it, while right panel was wired.
    I don't remember not having wires on that panel, and went back to dealership. They
    told me that these wires are antennas (thought they are glass heaters) and that most
    of Discos come with both sides wired, but in rare cases, such is mine, only single panel
    comes wired. Asked about popped out buttons, answer was these things happen all the
    time. What is the probability of pop-ups happening exactly at the time of windshield replacement?
    Probability is small, but these things happen, remember, all the time.
    Is it my love toward Disco turned to paranoia, or I was hit by chop-shop job?
    Any idea how to check what kind of glass was originally installed?
    give me the last 8 of your VIN and I'll check it out
    Last 8 digits of the VIN number are:

1A700096
    Your vehicle is an LE model that only had an antenna in the RH Glass. Only the SE and HSE models have the dual diversity antennas.
    Thanx, tincup. Glad it is only paranoia. :)
  • jj02jj02 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone had any experience with tornado-fuel saver?
    I seen this on TV commercial but I not really sure this can save gas and add 5 to 10 more horse!! Please let hear about this!
    Don't you think that if something like this worked that manufacturers would put it on as standard equipt.? Especially the companies that are having a hard time meeting CAFE requirements or have vehicles criticized as being gas guzzlers? Free HP and more MPG by a relatively inexpensive device that is not specifically tailored to each vehicle is entirely unrealistic. manufacturers are spending millions trying to obtain these goals. This is just another in a long line of products that have only one real effect for the consumer, the lightening of their wallets. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out the The accessories to improve mileage and extend engine life discussion for more snake oil talk.

Steve, Host
    I've found The ultimate accessory to extend engine life and increase mileage!! And it actually WORKS!! You won't believe what a simple device it is, and how utterly bombproof:

Sneakers and a mtn bike.

Let's see, 17,600 miles in 4 years, that's equivalent to $5456.00 in auto expenses at current IRS rates. Deduct the price of the bike (and allllllllllll those groovy parts) and I'm still ahead almost $3000. Plus lower medical bills and I can RUN up stairs, not trudge.

Anyone want to join me? Let's explore alternate transportation this month... I'm thinking x-c skis to work?
    I have a question in the Freelander topic if you have the time. Thanks!!!
  • bgsntthbgsntth Member Posts: 92
    First, thanks to all for your informative discussion over the past several months, especially tincup. You have helped considerably toward my next purchase. I'm replacing a Grd Cherokee with either a Disco SE7 (X-plan) or Honda Pilot EX-L. I need a third seat and something that will climb the coastal mountains on my family's property in the Big Sur area. Obviously for this reason the Disco is preferable, as I have used every bit of the Jeep's V8 and Quadradrive system climbing steep knolls when the road washes out. I'm hoping that if I end up getting the Pilot that some Bridgestone Revo's will aid its off-road ability. Which I guess is like putting hiking boots on a ballerinia :)

The only things holding me back from the Disco is its resale value and my wife's complaints about the narrow and awkward rear door openings, as we will soon have 2 boys in car seats. I will be writing off 75% of the vehicle's miles for business, either as a lease or depreciation, and will most likely keep either vehicle for 3 years. My question is: How bad is the depreciation after 3 years for the Disco, and how hard is it to sell (i.e., will I be taking a bath). FWIW, I will definitely downgrade to the S's 16" wheels and Michelins.

Thanks,

Martin
    I guess my real beef then should be with the dealer. I expressed doubt that the low profile tires would do well off road, and I made it very clear I was considering the DII strictly because of it's off road abilities. The salesman assured me the 18" tires would perform well off road and that the ACE system provided more wheel articulation which enhanced off road capability. He was absolutely wrong about the tires, but I guess the point is that Land Rover should at least offer a decent tire for off road use for those who want the ACE system. Presently, at least my dealer tells me, if you get the ACE, there is no other tire option, and therein lies the problem.
    That is a problem due to economy of scale. Land Rover sells less than 20,000 Discovereys a year in the US, I would imagine ACE is on less than 25% of those. At those levels it was decided that the Engineering group could only afford to test and certify one wheel-tire combination for that option. Due to the litigious nature of US consumers, there is no way we will equip vehicles with non-certified combinations.
    I can't speak to the salesperson, He is an employee of the dealership not LRNA.
    bgsntth

1. You will lose more money (%) after 3 years on the Disco then the Pilot... period.

Honda is a resale % leader, Land Rover is closer to the other end. It's also what makes used Discos such a steal to us 'po folks. :-)

2. The Pilot, like the Acura MDX is based on the Odyssey minivan chassis. I was behind one on the road the other day and was surprised how low the exhaust hangs, and how "tender" (thin) looking the suspension pieces are on it.

It is most definately NOT a true off roader, and I bet that it says so somewhere in the manual even.

I wouldn't mind it as a foul weather people hauler, but I'd be awfully aprehensive about using it off road.

Just my 2¢
  • denver8denver8 Member Posts: 42
    I had to go to the Honda corporate web site to see what a Pilot even looked like. The Honda web site has a pretty cool feature where you can do a side by side comparison between various vehicles. That may be a feature for you if you haven't done so already. Just remember who (Honda) is sponsoring the site. You said on occasion that you had to use all of the V-8 on your Jeep to climb some of the hills at your place. I am not sure if the Honda without a low range will be that good for you. I go fishing at a place that is a long rocky steep climb and I have done it without using low gear but I get bounced all over the place. Putting it in low gear I can ease along and eat a sandwich and enjoy the scenery. The Honda has struts instead of shocks. Over the long term I would think shocks on ANY vehicle would last longer and be more durable??? Are there any rocks on your road? Take a look under either vehicle and see where the low spots are. I noticed on the older Rav4's the tailpipe hangs below the rear axle-- just begging to be ripped off. I even noticed on Explorers and many pickups the shocks hang about 2-3 inches below the axles--not a good thing.
    Take a look beneath a CRV or Pilot next time you stop behind one at a traffic light. See how thin those half-shafts are? About the size of your thumb. It's really not built to go offroad.

Same goes for many of the current independent suspension SUVs... look at a Ford Escpape! Holy smokes, those lower rear control arms are just begging to be banged on a rock.

If you really want to climb, get solid axles, limited slip diffs and low range. It'll climb better and last longer.

My $.02 -Bob
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Member Posts: 363
    For most people, offroading does not involve climbing rocks and wading through mud. For most, offroading means driving through slippery conditions like gravel and snow and ice. You might want to clarify your statements of "true offroaders".
  • bgsntthbgsntth Member Posts: 92
    Hey thanks for the suggestion and comments, greatly appreciated. The Pilot will mean that bypassing the road and going up the knoll of the mountain will no longer be an option, but there will be considerably less whining from my wife when she is putting kids in their car seats.

There are not a lot of rocks on the property as say around the Tahoe area. Mainly it is loose dirt and grass (yikes). I say the V8/Quadradrive because there have been numerous instances when another family member's CJ w/ open diffs or F150, also w/ open diffs, have not been able to make it up the hill. Till now the Grd Cherokee has never failed to take me where I pointed it. Its abilities are obviously beyond the tolerances of my sphincter meter. We however need a third seat, hence the Disco or Pilot.

The wife is taking another test drive of the Disco. If she gives me her nod of approval than I will gladly accept the financial hit to gain some security off-road. I would also much rather have a vehicle with some character and soul, instead of clinically fresh and functional.
  • hebe220hebe220 Member Posts: 1
    We have been looking at the 1998 Discovery and admit that we like all the amenities it offers. The info I have found on the web is either very positive or very negative. On the negative side, there are too many costly repairs and a lot of headache. Others, just plain love it. Does anyone have this year and could give some good advice? He selling it for $13,750 and it has 116,500 miles.
    Thanks, Heather
    The '98 is not a bad year at all. '96 was the one to watch out for. If he's been driving it that long then chances are there are no "issues" with it. It would have much lower miles.

At this age, she'll be looking at a power steering pump, ABS pump and alternator before too much longer. Each of those are EXPENSIVE. I also feel 13 Large is an awful lot.

It's sort of low-balling the price, but go to Ebay and do a search for 1998 Land Rover Discovery. See what they're going for there. Probably $5k less. Is that reasonable for your locale? No. But it's a measure of absolute lowest price. I'd put his price near the top of what you could ask for it... and not expect to get.

Also take a look at Kelly Blue Book (kbb.com) and see what it could go for.

I think you'll love the truck. If it had low miles then I'd say it was one to avoid. He has apparently driven it a lot and it's served him well. He's getting out before the expensive parts start to break.

Just my $.02 -Bob
  • 29632963 Member Posts: 37
    Does anyone know if there is a kit available to replace the Disco's halogen headlight assembly with a xenon high intensity discharge system?

The new Disco's headlights are so similar to the '03 Range Rover's (HID equipped), I wonder if big brother's xenon bulbs (and associated electrical hardware) would work?

Any thoughts or links to websites offering a conversion kit would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• aveenoaveeno Member Posts: 2
    I would like to replace my LR wiper blades with BOSCH or PIAA wiper blades. I couldn't find any parts store (PepBoys, Auto Barn) who could help me find the right blade or inserts. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Aveeno