Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    I tried the exotic blades on my Disco and I found they didn't work that much better than using regular cheapo replacements... with Rain-X. I use the stuff religiously and it really helps repel ice and rain. I think I put Anco blades on last time and they work *great* in that combination.

I tried the Rain-X additive for the squirter and it's no good at all... sort of builds up a goo on the headlights. Just use the wipe-and-buff stuff.

Best regards, -Bob
  • odiopusodiopus Member Posts: 47
    Has anyone noticed that the headlight lenses for on the '03 Disco are made of plastic? What's up with that? I have a '01 Disco with glass lenses and unfortunately got bombarded with a load of large rocks a dump truck ahead of me lost while driving 80MPH on the highway. Needless to say my passenger headlight lens suffered a crack and tiny whole (it became more of a fishbowl after a rainy day), my driver side fog light suffered a brutal crack and my windshield suffered two quarter size cracks. What would the damage be if I had plastic lenses? I was able to get the parts from Rover Connection at half the price of the dealer cost excluding labor. I didn't know replacing the the lamps was so easy. It literally took my 5 minutes to replace each lamp. The Disco also suffered a chip on the paint in front of the front sunroof, and I have noticed some rust on the chip. Does anyone know how the warranty handles this type of rust or corrosion?

Odiopus

• wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Member Posts: 363
    The Plastic would handle rocks and other debris much better than glass, and would probably be cheaper to replace. The only problems might be that they get cloudy over time from either constant roadway debris or possibly oxidation.
    I think what they're doing is moving to the plastic lens as a simple seal over the reflective surface. Glass lenses were used to focus the beam, now they use multi-surface reflectors to put the light where they want it... and don't need a fancy piece of glass anymore.

In either case you'll be replacing the headlight itself... I doubt you'd be able to replace a plastic cover and achieve an adequate seal to keep moisture out.

Just for grins, how much does a replacement glass headlight cost in the Lower 48 states? I paid about $110 for one headlight here in Alaska, a year ago.

Regards, -Bob
  • mrtoad3mrtoad3 Member Posts: 68
    Has anyone replaced their stock 18" tires on their D2 with snow tires from Bridgestone. I'm wondering how the Blizzak LM-22 performs in the snow and ice. It's supposed to be very good but expensive. I'd prefer to not replace my rims so that I can get Nokians.
    If anyone has any experiences with these tires please let me know what you think. Thanks.
    Here's a good link for Blizzak details:

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/blizzfaqs.html

Regards, -Bob

• ntau02ntau02 Member Posts: 1
    I realize this is the Disco message board and therefore the oppinions could be biased. But, should I buy my aunt's '98 Disco? It has 88k miles. She is the only owner. It's been serviced every time by the dealership. She drives like an old lady. It is in great shape. I was eyeing an Audi but she told me I could have it for $11K. Does this sound reasonable? What type of maintanence will it need in the near future? Thanks-
    Take a look a little further up for my reply to an earlier question about a '98 with much higher miles.

It sounds like a good deal on a good car. I'd go for it.

Maintenance? Get a copy of the service history and either let them keep doing the work or you take it over from there. I change ALL my fluids every year (and engine oil every 3k). Brake pads last me ~15k miles. Simple work to replace them. You might need to have the throttle body and plenum cleaned, unless they did it at the 75k service... I'm not sure if that's called for.

It's about time for wheel bearings, power steering pump, alternator, ABS pump to wear out. Chances are it would really benefit from a long hard road trip too... get it up to temperature for an hour of good hard driving. There is likely condensation moisture in the swivel balls and diffs that could stand some cooking out. Give the transmission and engine a good workout. My '96 thrives on regular, hard use. Drive it over some RR tracks at 55mph and see if it shimmys after the bumps? Might be time for a new steering damper, or adjustment on the shim stack at the swivel pins. STAND on the brakes and see if the ABS activates? Look at the base of the rear doors, aft lower corners. Any rust? That's a trouble spot. Also around the alpine windows.

Good luck!
  • pjreporterpjreporter Member Posts: 32
    Hi, I am a reporter for a major business daily and in need of executive-types who are also Land Rover Discovery drivers. If you own such a car, please email me at LANETEF@YAHOO.COM
  • zilberg2zilberg2 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a Disco II 2002 returned from a lease. The car dealer did not have a manual. Does anyone know if there is a pdf version anyware? When I press the hill decent button, I get the chime but no lights on the dash. I took it down a steep grade but nothing happened. Does it have to be a certain grade of decent? I already had it at the dealer for electical work, My sport mode light would not come on. The dealer fixed it and said that every thing should be fine now. But I don't know about the hill decent and how it works. I did not buy it at the Land Rover Dealership and Saved 3 Grand.
    Some one Please Respond.
  • johnedavies1johnedavies1 Member Posts: 20
    It only functions in low range. Slow to less than 5 mph, put the tranny in neutral, switch to low range and move back to a gear position (any fwd gear). Press the HDC button and keep both your feet off the pedals - it should do all the work except for the steering, and keep your speed to about 5 mph.

I don't believe there is a miminum grade for it to work.

Try this before worrying that it is broken.
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    johnedavies1 was on the mark on how to use HDC. We do not have Owner's Manuals available except in hard copy. These are available at your local Land Rover dealership. The part numbers for these are LRN2002DSCW for the SD and SE models and LRN2002DSCWNAV for the HSE models.
  • auntietonyaauntietonya Member Posts: 1
    Hello, Disco People:

I am a former Wrangler owner. I brought it brand new custom ordered in 1997. It was my first car. I started driving at 31. (Native New Yorker.)The car was great in the summer, but I had so many problems with it I almost gave up on car ownership. It had two catalytic converters go, the muffler, the transmission, the transmission lines, a mysterious check engine light that confounded two dealerships, a fender bender that cost $1200 in damage, it was towed twice and the custom system was stolen out of it. Now I want a Disco. 1999-2002. Base model is fine. I am concerned about reliability. I have no mechanical interest or aptitude, and the farthest off-road I plan to go is to the gravel lot when I park at basketball games. So why do I want it? Remember I drove a Wrangler. The Disco is the nicest truck I can get for the least money without feeling like a soccer mom. I'm single, and current only cart around teenage nieces and nephews, and assorted grown friends. I admit to also loving the steering wheel radio control, I have almost killed myself plenty of times changing CD's and adjusting volume. I was going to get a Maxima for that reason. I was way too cool with the Wrangler dealership repair shop. If I do get a Disco, out of the years indicated, which is the best of the base models? Should I get mileage as low as less than 10,000 or more than 40,000? I get the sense on this board that it takes time to "break in" the Rovers to see if you have a good one or not. I want to buy on the web, and most sellers will let me take the car to the local LR dealership to have it checked out. Is there anything specific I should look for and if I run the VIN, can I be sure that that's an accurate indicator of previous problems? Thank you so much for your time excuse the long post. My friends who own Rovers love them, but I can't live in the shop like I did with the Wrangler! Responses would be appreciated...you can even email me directly at auntietonya@hotmail.com
  • nccareernccareer Member Posts: 2
    Clearly the Goodyear Wranglers on the Discovery II are defective. All mine were severly cupped within 20K. Then I put on 2 new ones after doing an alignment and now they are severly cupped too. My question is has anyone had any luck getting Land Rover or Goodyear to make good on these problem tires?

Additionally, what is the best tire to use for replacement (I do 99% highway driving and want quiet tires).
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    nccareer:
    The HP's are just lousy tires.

Try the Pirelli Scorpion S/T. They['re a direct fit for both the 16" & 18" rims.
    Merry Christmas to All!!!

I'll be sure to post quickly when I see Santa lifting off. I understand the weather will be clear tonight, so watch for him right at the spot of midnight.

God Jul og Godt Nytt Ar!
  • zilberg2zilberg2 Member Posts: 2
    I'm going to try this. I realize that the dealer has all the answers, but since i didn't buy the car from them they make me feel like i'm intruding. They said that the manual was ordered, but its been 2 months. Any way, When i put the Disco in low gear, I get a chime. When i go in reverse the chime still stays on, is that normal? The yellow gear is lit on the dash.

Merry Christmas to All, and a Happy New Year!!!!
    The HDC works in reverse also.
    ...at -3F this morning and the sky is clear. It's spozed to get to -10F tonight. The Disco is running like a pig in an orchard and life is gooooooooooood.

Was Santa good to everyone? He was pretty doggone generous with me, but he forgot to slip that '63 Hummingbird beneath the tree (rubbing hands together) so it looks like I'll have to jog his memory with the checkbook.
  • rkoeslerrkoesler Member Posts: 62
    Just to let you all know I'm still alive and loving my DII as much as ever. I had the fortune, during our last 8" of snow, of banging my Toyota 4x4 truck into the right rear side of a DII. Well, it did $ 1800 damage to the Toy, but only broke a small sliver of glass from the taillight lense of the Landy - damn they are tough !! Be glad you drive one!! PS: At 33,000 miles on my '00 DII, not a sign of any problems - and no stinking complaints either - I love it as is!!!
    Similar story here, but I was the recipient. My aunt-in-law (grin) was backing out of my driveway, and ran into the aft corner of my Disco. She took out the entire back hatch and bumper on her Chrysler minivan, to the point it won't close or seal correctly. The Disco? Well, it popped one of those cheesy wood screws loose on the underside where the plastic bumper end cap is held in place. Otherwise not a mark.

Last winter a poor unfortunate soul slid in beneath the aft end of my Disco in her spanking new Camry, and took out the entire front end of her car. Parts all over the intersection. It took one teeny little flake of black paint off the underside of my rear bumper beside the hitch.

:) Tough trucks.
  • wbenhoganwbenhogan Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to decide which roof rack to buy for my 99 DII. I am considering the Hannibal Roof Rack or the Land Rover Adventure Rack. I would love to hear anybody who has an opinion.

Thank you,
    Shawn
  • pinlinpinlin Member Posts: 1
    Hi.. New to site.. enjoyed reading..been looking @a 1994 discovery. with 103,000 miles.. anybody have any advice? ( btw in New Jersey) Thanks & Happy New Year to you all !!
  • cokejimcokejim Member Posts: 2
    While I love the Disco brand/heritage. How long should I expect the brake pads to last. I live in Atlanta, and the dealer wants to replace all four pads at only 14K miles? Sounds like scam to someone used to a Wrangler in which pads/shoes lasted 40-50K....what gives, HELP? Also, can I do this myself?
    The dealer here in Texas wanted $98 for the headlight. I bought for about $50 from Rover Connection... Install was too easy. I'm not sure if www.roverconnection.com delivers to Alaska, but you might want to give them a call. They have OEM parts far below the dealer cost. I haven't been able to find a reseller with lower prices.

By the way in response to "Rovers are Tough" post, I just wanted to add that my Disco has survived a lot of fender benders with zero to minimal damage. In one incident a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe backed up to my rear driver side. Not a single scratch on the Disco, but the Hyundai's bumper was completely smashed in and the tail light was crushed. In another incident a 2002 Honda Accord did the same thing but at a higher speed and the damage was unreal. The Honda's bumper literally almost come off. The Disco suffered a crack on the lens of the tail light. If you really want a reliable vehicle that will perform safely in all types of weather, I would go with the Disco. I saw a Nissan Xterra drive out of control on a rainy day. The guy drove over a puddle of water on the highway and the truck freaked out. I don't think I will ever be able to go back to a 2 wheel drive vehicle.

Odiopus
  • waskowasko Member Posts: 103
    cokejim:

I'd say you'd want to start inspecting them 'real hard' at around 22-30k on the pads, depending on how you drive. 14k sounds low to me unless you drive it like a drag racer :) They do squeak occasionally due to brake dust buildup.

I'm at 23k right now and still have 35% left on my original pads. I'll get them changed at my next oil change, just to be safe.

If yours are squeaking a bit, I suggest (on an empty stretch of road) getting her up to 20-25mph and slamming on the brakes. Do the same in reverse (a little slower of course!) and you should dislodge any built-up dust.

I did this often on my DI and it worked like a charm.

Happy new year to all! May 2003 be full of fond Rovering memories and few service visits for everyone!

Thx, wasko
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    I need some additional explanation, as a friend made an offer that I do not know if it will save me
    money or cost me money...my friend is a Ford retiree, and he offered me use of the “Z” plan,
    which he says will allow me to purchase any vehicle under Ford’s banner at “3% over DEALER
    COST”...( if I am not mistaken, A-plan if for Ford employees/retirees, X-plan if for their
    immediate family members, Z-plan is for non-relations...correct me if I am wrong)...here’s the
    bottom line questions...1) if “dealer cost” is defined as Edmund’s invoice cost, and if Z-plan is
    3% over that, there are already dealers out there who will sell a car at Edmund’s invoice, and Z-
    plan would cost me money rather than save me money...if “dealer cost” is defined as including all
    other holdbacks, etc., then Z-plan would be a great deal...does anyone familiar with Ford plans
    know how “dealer cost” is defined?...2) Also, my friend said that since he was a salaried
    employee, as opposed to an hourly (unionized) employee, his plan will also allow the discount on
    Jaguar and Land Rover...so, while I could consider Mountaineer or Aviator under the Ford/LM
    brands, does anyone know the discount on Land Rover Discovery, since Edmunds has no listing
    other than MSRP?...3) do employee discount plans only cover new cars, or does it cover used,
    too, since I would, in the future, consider a 2 or 3 year old Jaguar XJ8L???...thanks for any
    helpful information...

Bob
    The pads on my 00 DII were replaced at 30,000 miles with @ 40% life left. The dealer also replaced all rotors due to a service bulletin - seems that people who complain about "noisy brakes" on DII's, get all new pads and rotors free of charge (a $1200 service according to dealership manager). They asked me at my 30K service if my brakes were noisy, I said NO, but they said "yes they are, you just don't know it".

Also, since installing my OME heavy duty front, and medium/heavy duty rear springs and long-travel shocks, my Ramp Travel Index (RTI) has dropped from 730 to 590. Wheel articulation on the stock vehicle was much better, but the vehicle had 2.5 inches less ground clearance under the frame. Everything is a trade-off.

Happy Rovers to all!!
    A-plan is for active employees and their immediate families, X-plan is for friends and families, and Z-plan is for retirees only. X-plan on ford branded products is 4% over the A/Z-plan price which is printed on the invoice. On Ford branded products the A/Z-plan price is generally under invoice, on Land Rovers A/Z-plan is invoice plus destination and regional advertising charges, X-plan is 4% over that. I just checked and Edmunds does list invoice on all of the Discovery (for 2003 they are no longer called Discovery II) models (S,SE,HSE). There are no other fees allowed to be charged like doc fees. It is a good deal on most vehicles, more so on A/Z plan. It is a no haggle way to get a good deal on the vehicles. In most markets Land Rover products are going at or close to MSRP as most dealers in an area are owned by the same company. This is reflected in Edmunds TMV, which is MSRP for these vehicles.These plans (A/Z/X)are for new untitled cars only.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Thank you.
  • brutus12brutus12 Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I are considering buying a 2001 Discovery II. The vehicle has 10,000 miles on it and seems to be in excellent condition with the price being very agreeable. Our concern is with the cost of maintenance and are the brakes very troublesome. What is the expected gas mileage of this vehicle? Can an owner of a Discovery II please give me a brief account of their ownership experience? We want to be able to utilize this vehicle for a good ten years or so.
    I can say for what I have seen and felt while test driving this seems to be the vehicle for us. It's like we have test driven every SUV out there and we always come back to the Land Rover Discovery II. I guess bottom line I want to feel good about what we are doing. THANK YOU OUT THERE....
    Have someone pull up the vehicle's history by VIN. At 10k miles it either has a chronic irritation and someone got rid of it or they were in over their head and had to get out of the purchase. The good news is, once the irritation is fixed (if indeed that is the case) it will stay fixed.

Rovers are MUCH more reliable than they used to be. With Bosch electronics and simpler / tougher drive components than the earlier Discos, you have a truck that can easily go ten years. Mine is six years old now and still literally drives and works like a new truck, with 77k miles. Everything is tight, there are no clunks or rattles or loose parts anywhere. She always starts and runs like a scalded cat. I never try to maintain good mileage, and never really pay attention to how I'm driving, and I get around 11mpg in town and perhaps 15mpg on the highway.

I prefer the DI (Disco Series I) over the DII because it has shorter overhangs and the greenhouse feels much more spacious and "open". It has no feeling of claustrophobia, which I often feel in the DII. It has plenty of power, feeling just like the DII (to me). It also has a manual lock for the center diff. On the other hand, the DII has electronic traction control and that is perfectly adequate for 95% of owners. If you're going offroad, avoid the 18" wheels and ACE option.

You'll find the Disco is really not that much more expensive to maintain than other SUVs, except parts can be VERY expensive, and hard to find aftermarket. It used to be the quality control for parts was sketchy, but it's improving too. Service is pricey, but some things (like the auto trans service) is done once and then never again. It is extremely easy to change fluids on the Disco, and gratifying to do yourself. The hardest part will be finding a good place to recycle the used lubes.

As for brakes, most people go about 40k miles before needing new pads. I go about 17k miles. It is a VERY simple job to change them, and actually quite fun to do... and it gives you the chance to bleed and replenish your brake fluid frequently. Aftermarket pads are readily available and inexpensive. I've used Wagner and Lockheed and I prefer the Wagners. If you have the truck elevated on one side with wheels off, you could probably change the pads on a wheel in 15 minutes, including bleeding them. And then you rotate your tires and you're done!

It used to be a love/hate thing with Rovers, with aggravations that you accepted or dealt with... which were more than offset by the way the truck treated you the rest of the time. Now, the quality control has improved to where they are truly competitive for reliability standards, and in my opinion far more durable than anything else you'll find out there for comparable price. The MB Gelandewagen compares for durability but it's twice the money. For a visible demonstration, crawl beneath another SUV and look at its fasteners and the size of its components... then crawl beneath the Rover and compare. You'll be amazed.

Okay, enough blather. I hope this helps. Best regards, -Bob
  • kimobonnkimobonn Member Posts: 8
    I purchased a 2002 Discovery II SE which had about 13k miles on it. At first I was not sure if I wanted to buy new, but after inspecting the vehicle, and getting a good price, I decided it was the way to go. Believe me, I still look forward to going/leaving work so I can look at my truck, and then drive it :). For gas mileage, I get roughly 12 - 14.5 in the city (the 12mpg is when I have my Thule ski rack on). On the highway I get around 15 - 17mpg (again, the 15 is with the Thule ski rack). I just took it in for the 15k service, and the dealership experience was the best I ever had. They were fast, didn't charge me for services they didn't think I needed (like tire rotation/balance), and even dropped the car of at my house, and picked up the loaner. They also fixed a lot of little annoying issues that I found, such as a squeaking rear door/driver door, rocking drivers seat, etc. None of these were big, but the dealership treated them as such. If you are worried about the warranty, purchase an extended one with LandRover. I purchased a 6year/100k mile warranty, and it cost me roughly $1700. I do know that the warranty does go up when the vehicle hits 15k miles, so you might have some time to think about it. All in all, I think it was a good purchase, and I plan on keeping it for a long time (unless I just have to get a 2004 :)....)
  • shennandoahslashennandoahsla Member Posts: 1
    I just wanted to pass along a couple of experiences I have had with my 01 Disco II that are not so positive.

Let me preface my message with this: I have dreamed of owning a Disco since college when I had seen a Land Rover Safari program with Discos trekking through the Amazon. I was totally pumped when I was in a position where I could actually own one. I test drove a bunch of other SUVs to be certain that it was as good as I thought it was and found that I truly liked the Land Rover better.

Four months into owning the car I had a fender bender that was my fault. I had applied light, quick pressure to the breaks and the anti-locks kicked on and I rolled, very slowly, into another car. I felt like the accident shouldn't have happened - I had never had anti-locks switch on so quickly - but I figured I had screwed up somehow. I asked the dealer about it in passing on my next service, and they assured me it was just me getting used to the car. Two months later I received the recall notification on the ABS. Who knows.... What I do know is I didn't have my truck for over 3 weeks because the body shop could not get the parts.

Most recently, my wife was driving the truck when the engine made a horrible noise. She pulled over, turned the car off and called me. I told her to start it so I could hear the noise. When she restarted the car there was no noise, but the service engine light was on. She drove it a short distance home while I called the dealership.

The first sign of trouble was the feedback that I couldn't get my car in for 6 business days because the were backed up - even if it was warranty work and even though they said don't drive it anywhere.

After some discussion about that response, they had me tow it in and they would get to it when they could. 3 business days later they were able to look at it. That is when I was informed that the 7th piston had seized. I would probably need a new engine, but the service manager would have to approve the order and he was on vacation till after Christmas. Oh, and by the way, we just had another Disco in here with the exact same problem and the car was in for over a month because the engine was back ordered.

At that point I had to ask for a loaner, which drew a deep sigh and a "let me check what's available". I am now driving a freelander, which is a fine car, but I still don't like it.

As the saga drew out over the holidays there has been a lot of finger pointing between the Land Rover dealer, which is a "Land Rover Center", and Land Rover Corporate.

Bottom line:
    - My truck won't be available until February.
    - They are not fixing what my service manager said they were going to do at first.
    - He mentioned that they will be remanufacturing parts - not a big confidence builder.
    - Owner care at corporate has not called me back when they said they would.

I had always wanted this truck. I have had some awesome driving experiences on and off road with it. I recommended this truck to a friend who has had two and swears by them.

If I could get a out of owning this truck without loosing money I would. Just thought I should pass it along.
    That absolutely sucks. It sounds like the dealership has been the source of most of the trouble... for what it's worth, my dealership here has been gracious every step of the way. I wish you well.

Tincup, can you give us some indication of frequency of occurrence of this seized piston problem? I've never heard of it on any Rover. I wonder if that dealership is using poor filters, or poor oil? Do the trucks come from the factory "dry"? Is the oil replaced before the truck goes out the door?
  • utvol1utvol1 Member Posts: 6
    Does Land Rover ever plan on putting a diesel engine in the Discovery for the USA market? I checked the Land Rover website and this is an option in UK and gets great MPG compared to the gas engines.
    go back and read the postings - you'll find more info than you care to ingest.

My 00 DII is the absolute best, most reliable, and trouble free vehicle I've ever owned ((out of 28 or so (some I only kept for 1 to 2 days, and that includes a number of Mercedes', BMW's, Toyotas' etc.)). And best of all - I still look foreward to driving it every day. I'm in LOVE !!!

My gas mileage has varied from 12 mpg offroad in Colorado to 24 mpg (believe it or not) on the flats of Kansas, with an average of 16 in everyday driving. Maintenance is no more than for my Toy 4x4 truck (and is free during the warranty period for my vehicle). My brakes are good with @ 40% life left at 30,000 miles. Dealership experience has been superb with a loaner Disco always at hand when needed.

Go for it !! Happy Rovering.
  • johnedavies1johnedavies1 Member Posts: 20
    All the three LR dealers in WA are owned by the same person, so I don't exactly have a way to "go to the other guy" to get a good deal on a new Disco. Any comments, good or bad, about LR Seattle, Bellevue or Spokane?

How about the Portlad OR or Boise ID dealers?

Any luck at buying a new LR at less than MSRP from any of them?

BTW, is there a search mode for this forum? I can't find it if it exists. Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'm in Boise, but I don't know anything good or bad about the local Land Rover dealer (lylepearson.com).

There's a keyword search and an Advanced Search tool on the left sidebar.

Steve, Host
    My best advice, talk to Gord'n Perrot. He was in several forums many many moons ago, and nothing but good was ever said about him. He's at G&S Service, I believe in Bellevue or Kirkland.

Gord'n Perrot G&S Service SEA
    (206) 361-7002
    Send me an Email with the last eight of your vehicle VIN number and the name of the center you are dealing with. I can't promise anything, but I will look into it as far as my position allows.
  • bakcabakca Member Posts: 33
    I have over 34k miles on my '01 DII. I changed the brakes at 30k since they were getting close. The dealer in Mission Viejo, CA has been great. They definitely seem to care about their customers. I had a couple of small oil leaks early on but nothing since. Oh yeah, and the clock light went out (fixed under warranty). After 18 months of ownership I would do it over again.

On another note, it seems Ford is trying to boost profits by cross selling Jags and LR's together under one roof. I really don't see the point. I can't picture the LR group selling XK8's or the Jag group in safari shorts.

http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/article.do?id=19713&section=BUSINESS&year=2003&month=1&day=9

<snip>

In the U.S., Ford wants dealers to combine outlets for Jaguar and Land Rover. Jaguar has about 150 U.S. retailers and Land Rover has about 140, with 44 percent of dealers already operating combined dealerships. Ford seeks to raise that to 65 percent by 2004.

"By putting Jaguar and Land Rover together, it improves a dealer's profitability," said Mike O'Driscoll, president of Aston Martin Jaguar Land Rover of North America. Ford wants dealers to invest profits in features such as valet services and customer lounges to attract buyers.

The rational is that increasing profitability will make having a Land Rover or Jaguar Franchise more desirable to own. This helps make the vehicles more available, hence leading to higher sales volume as more areas have retailers for the brands. As far as I have been told the plan is to have separate sales facilities, but have shared office and finance staff as well as sharing of service space and parts warehousing. This helps lower the bottom line by not having to operate and staff 2 separate facilities. As most Land Rover and Jaguar dealerships are low volume this will help keep up profitability. Jaguar and Land Rover dealerships share the same selling philosophies already, so I doubt their consolidation will be a negative change for the consumer. I do know that Ford is very intent on keeping all the PAG brands distinctive from one another and from Ford in general.
  • bakcabakca Member Posts: 33
    I see the point of shared administration. It will be interesting to see how they integrate the side by side sales. As long as Ford understands what they have with Jaguar and Land Rover it may work out ok. I'd hate to see them try and turn it all into another Ford dealership. I had an explorer before the Disco, and although it was a good car and I had a decent and convenient dealership, there is no comparison to the LR experience.
    From all indications I have seen first hand, Ford is very aware of the value of Land Rover, Jaguar, and Aston Martin. They have owned Jaguar for over ten years and Aston Martin for longer than that. Having seen the new XJ8 in the flesh and read all the technical details, I am confident that future Land Rover products will remain true to the heritage that they have established and will continue to be among the elite of off road vehicles.
  • vaboy3vaboy3 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have experience using a Discovery II to tow a travel trailer? Any advice would be appreciated. I want to pull a 24 foot Airstream trailer that weighs 3850 empty and probably 4500 when loaded. This is within the towing weight listed in my owners manual. Thanks in advance.
  • peweepewee Member Posts: 6
    Hi:
    We are long time readers, and first time posters. We are considering a Discovery SE purchase at Land Rover East in Denver. Has anyone here had experience with this dealer that they wish to share with us? Our own pre-sale experience has been extremely positive. I seek knowledge of their service operation.

Additionally, would the "2004 Discovery," whatever it is to be, be worth waiting for, as our Land Rover purchase will have to be at least a 10 year affair?

Expected uses for the Disco include trips into the Colorado, Wyoming and Montana back country, as well as occasional cross country trips to Florida, New Jersey and Maine. (I hate to fly).

Thanks for your help, and for the many informative posts on this message board.

Also, anyone know if ham radio gear would muck up the electronics?

regards,pewee
    I own a 2001 Disco and have had a few minor problems, most of the problems I had were related to the computer. I had an ACE problem that was throwing my back end side to side and it was because one of the modules in the computer was failing. I have also had problems with my horn going out intermittently and my SLS, ACE, and Tranny light come up intermittently as well. All of these were related to problems with the computer. I believe the Disco is a great truck and very reliable. Has anyone had any similar problems with the ECU? It seems that there is a short somewhere that the dealer can not pinpoint. My fuses for the horn also burns out on a regular basis. Overall, the pros have outweighed the cons as far as my experience as a Disco owner and still believe it's the best truck out there.

Odiopus
  • denver8denver8 Member Posts: 42
    I have had some service work done at the Denver east dealer and I buy parts from them occasionally. I also went on one of their off road events... very fun and a free lunch!!! They are kind of far from my house and I have since found closer service places. Overall my limited experience with them has been good. If I lived closer to them I would go more often.
  • peweepewee Member Posts: 6
    Denver8,

Thanks for the info. Land Rover of Denver - South and Land Rover of Denver - East are about equidistant from my house. Been to both, and both seem to be nice and above board. I lean toward Denver East because of a particular Sales Rep who has been working with us.

Thanks again,

Pewee