Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Lexus ES 350 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jano2jano2 Member Posts: 141
    Has anyone else encountered this problem? We paid extra for side moldings, but the salesman says there is a problem with the color so I am taking an IOU until we can get the moldings installed. We are paying an extra $350 for them. The salesman originally told me that the $199 Edmunds said they are worth does not include labor for putting them on. I googled Lexus body moldings and saw they will be available in Sept for $199 - no mention of labor to install them though. I think I will have them take the $350 off the contract and just wait till September and drive to a dealership closer to my house. Any opinions from anyone? Thanks
  • gqstylegqstyle Member Posts: 6
    please e-mail me also. Thank you. gqstyle@comcast.net
  • 4barbara4barbara Member Posts: 46
    Like anything the laborers working at the dealership are used in ANY form so they can exact a price to charge.
    So if they (laborers) have nothing to do they still get paid the same salary. I bet that the moldings are a snap together puzzle that is easily installed.
    You'll never know how they do it or how long it takes because you are seeing the work preformed. But I can bet you that they'll tell you it takes 3-4 hours....is that including lunch break? ahah
    The workers will never work on ONE job at a time but several. In this way they could be doing many things and the dealership charging OUTRAGEOUS fees. Did it really take that long...I truly believe its much less than you think. You can't argue with the dealership. Get it done 3rd party, you'll save $100 easy.
    the salesman to ask.
    HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT TO SPEND!

This is your DEATH wish. The dealer will charge you just slightly higher than what you want. So when you hem and haw the deal making is now in THEIR court...not yours. They make you come to them with this ploy.
    NEVER...EVER get to the price point of what you want to spendl. They won already.
    Don't tell them how you're gonna pay UNTIL you finalize the bottomline PRICE they are willing to sell.
    But to do that you must RESEARCH till you drop. Never commit to them as to WHEN you're ready to buy. They ask that all the time. When you don't get the deal you want...get up and leave, NO SECOND GUESSING!!! And NEVER respond to the question...."What's it gonna take to say yes"
    This is another way to get you to argue with them. They want that dearly.
    Always say that I'm shopping around and won't make a decision until I believe that I'm at the lowest price that exsists in the market.
    Even tell them you're willing to pay cash. That'll keep them in YOUR PARK. Won't make a difference if its not! They'll sell it deal to the bank anyway.
    The O7s are already on the losing end in a give back even before you leave the lot....its depreciated just sitting on the lot. The 08s are where THEY want to be and not sit on inventory. There's plenty of 07s around....SHOP TILL YOU DROP!
    You'll save thousands.
    Ask about their money factor once you are ready.
    Ask WHEN the car was build...date.
    Ask their RESIDUAL %....this is of the UTMOST importance in pricing it out for the montly payment.
    Lexus have EXCELLENT resale value and should garner 55 to 60 percent. They higher the number the lower the montly.
    But that ALL depends on the PRICE!
    Don't EVER take the line it doesn't matter what the price is...IT CERTAINLY DOES MATTER!!!
    Why! Because the percentage and montly is used against that figure. They lower the lease term the HIGHER the residual percentage...hence the lower the montly.
    Remember...NEVER...EVER tell them or answer them "How much do you want to spend"...
    CHANGE THE SUBJECT and control the deal by working solely on the FINAL PRICE!!
    At some point all the dealerships you've been talking to will be close. When that happens GET THE EXTRA OPTIONS for Free to seal the deal with whomever is willing to give.
  • mac1lsr1mac1lsr1 Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for the great tips, 4barbara. I already have been doing most of what you say, but you have inspired me to do a much better job of negotiating for the price that I want to pay. I DO plan to buy a new 2007, but the lowest existing market price (I like your term) probably won't hit its lowest point until the 08's are hitting the lots (maybe end of September). I'll be scouting the new car lots to keep track of inventory, so I can use that for my negotiations. I'll let everyone know how well I do (And now I'll have this in the back of my mind while I'm sitting down with the saleperson!)
    I can't believe I missed the H in monthly 3 times...
    I was typing kind of fast but still
    english or typing 101 again
    Working on a deal right now with Glendale, Ca
    for ES 350 with PP+ no nav.
    First price out of the gate!

$37k

More to come
    My mistake....that was MSRP

w/o Nav.....$33,500
    with Nav....$ $37,000

And like I said just before.
    It was the first price given..so there's MORE ROOM!
    4barbara,

Man, you sure get the deals! That's just what I want, Prem. Pkg./Nav.
    Moderators, why doesn't the invoice price appear for the base price of the car? I really need to know the invoice price of the car with options before I can make a deal. Thanks.
    I am not a moderator, but the way I found out the invoice price was through a consumer report. I had to pay $14.00 for it, but it was worth it to me. They also tell you what options they recommend (mostly from a safety standpoint)and it also gives you the starting negotiating price. Edmunds TMV is very close to what consumer reports recommends, but it is nice to know the invoice price the dealership paid. Of course this is the end of the 2007's so you should be able to get an excellent price. I probably could have bargained for a better price, but I am paying $37,350.
    Oh, that's right. I've been getting Consumer Reports magazine for years. I forgot about their new car pricing reports. I've got a CR magazine right next to me, so I'll look up how to get a report. Yes, I'm working. But I'm multi-tasking ;)
    what vehicle did you get?
    and the options?

thanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,826
    The base invoice is $30,441 with destination included... as far as I can tell..

I'm not sure why Edmunds does not show it.

Hope this helps,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

We got the ES350 Package II which includes everything except the Mark Levinson Audio Pkg, Park Assist, and Panoramic Sun Roof.

Crazy...it has a moon roof. I am not really sure I understand the difference between a sun and moon roof, but it doesn't matter.

By the way my car was delivered today and I love it so far. We are taking a little road trip over the weekend so I will have some real feedback Sunday night.
    Multi-tasking? You must be a female (and if you are a man - gulp...sorry. It was a joke ;) ). Back to car talk. Did you get the new car report from Consumers Report?
    I am very pleased with the price I paid for my Lexus, the straight forward communication with the salesman (internet manager TA, at Park Place Lexus Dealer in Plano) and the customer service I received. They went way out of their way to give me great service including delivery to me. Unfortunately I live nearly 4 hours away from this dealership so I won't be going there for service, but if their service department is as good as their internet mgr. I am sure I would be pleased. I highly recommend them! Another poster Pumkin was also very happy with his transaction with the internet mgr.
  • jweston1jweston1 Member Posts: 15
    What did you buy and how much was the discount? How much is their doc. fee?
  • newrnewr Member Posts: 24
    Hi,
    I am considering buying a 2007 ES350. One recent quote for a Ultra package is 39800 with MRSP of 44200. Is that a good price or should I be able to get more? I believe the invoice price is about 38700...should I expect them to sell at or below invoice given it's year end?

Also, how much is doc fees usually? I've been told $350 by this dealer.

Should I keep waiting? Also, am I better off to deal with internet dealers or just walk in?

Thanks
    We bought a 2007 Lexus ES350. The pkg I got included everything except the Mark Levinson audio, the panoramic sun roof, and the park assist. (I have the navigation system, back up camera, heated and ventilated leather seats, moon roof etc...) and paid $37,350. I probably could have gotten a better discount but I had dealt with 4 other dealerships and this was at least $1200 cheaper than the best deal I got from any of them. Also I didn't have to wait while they went to talk to their mgr and get back to me etc since I was dealing with the internet manager (who by the way was very personable, polite, returned my phone calls, and emails). Pumpkin who posts here used the same salesman and paid $36,950 and got the same pkg I did and like Pumpkin said it was the attitude of the salesman that made the difference.
    Extra fees:
    Inventory Tax: $74.21
    Documentary Fee:$50.00
    TX inspec. Fee: $23.75
    Deputy Svc. Fee:$ 5.00
    Title Fee: $93.80
    TX road & bridge$11.50
    No license fee and no US luxury tax

plus TX sales tax @6.25%= $2334.38

Hope this helps.
  • phyll97phyll97 Member Posts: 10
    Finally bought today at Park Place Grapevine. Did the deal over email. Only went into today for trade in on my old car and to sign finance papers. Robert Champion - great sales guy. Whole experience at Park Place was great. I got white E350 premium plus package for 34,500 (no nav)and chrome wheels for $1250. They will match lowest finance deal you can get. Was in and out in an hour and a half - that's even after driving it and going over all the features. And there are a lot of features!!! I love it!
    Got our deal done today. Went to Glendale Ca first and got the run around...sort of. What was promised over the phone didn't come to pass. Also the action was too salesman like...I hate that treatment, soooooo.....
    We drove up to Oxnard Ca to the internet dept and felt like I belonged. Great bunch of people up there. Very low pressure sales and left us alone to walk the lot with keys.
    In the end....we ended up with the 350 Smokey Granite/Black interior with Chromes for 32,600. Chromes were added for $720 as I bitched and moaned about it being a deal breaker.
    Premium Plus no nav.
    Very smooth ride and nice and tight handling.
    Pick-up felt excellent @ 272 horses. Responded quick and fluid.
    No complaints. I even handed our my business card for home loans and jewelry. Told them any diamond or watch would be 15% above my cost. I almost got 3 orders on watches but they didn't have the numbers.
  • jweston1jweston1 Member Posts: 15
    John,
    Can you tell me the manager to talk to to get your fantastic price?
    Thanks
    Thanks kyfdx for the base invoice price. Yes, that will help. I requested a Consumers Report magazine New Car Price Report for the ES 350 this past Friday. They said it will take 5-7 days to be mailed to me. I paid $14.00.
    jano2, congratulations on the new ES. By the way, sunroofs are steel, while moonroofs are glass (to view the moon and stars at night, I guess). It's getting hard to find sunroofs nowadays, for those who like steel above their heads.
    I did my Sunday morning scouting today of 2 Lexus dealerships in Southeastern PA. Looking for a new 2007 ES350. On one lot, I found a total of 9, not including the 4 marked sold. The ones without NAV had MSRPs of either 38,202 or 38,252, and the couple with NAV had an MSRP of 41,662. At another dealership 50 miles away, I found 6 on the lot. Non-NAV versions with MSRPs of 36,167 and 38,252, and NAV models with MSRPs of 41,662. At a 3rd (big) dealership in South Jersey, I had the lot scouted for me by a reliable source, who found approximately 30 new 2007 ES350s available. I might get my best deal there, but then again, I might not. Was going to wait until the 2008s arrived before price negotiating, but now I think if I wait that long, I won't get a color combination I like. Just my thoughts.
  • littlewonderlittlewonder Member Posts: 20
    I'd love to know which dealership in south jersey you are looking at and what kind of offers you get there. please keep us poted:)
  • cyfancyfan Member Posts: 2
    In the same boat and was quoted $39,404. I will be asking for $38,500, and hope one of the 4 dealerships will take it.
    Thanks. I think I am going to enjoy this car. Just FYI the MSRP on this car was $41,322. I know the deals are out there now, but I also think if you wait too long the color choices will not be available. I bet it would not be a problem at all getting one for $36,250 with navigation now....or even less.

Good luck to you!
  • newrnewr Member Posts: 24
    let me know how that goes...went to another dealership.. and they are running out of 07..will only give me 2000 off on the 2008 and 3000 for 2007
    In South Jersey, I've test driven at Lexus of Cherry Hill. That's where they have approx 30 ES 350s (as of 1&1/2 weeks ago). I wonder how many they sell in a day, on average?
  • johnymackjohnymack Member Posts: 18
    Hi Jweston1,
    Please e-mail me at jm_proe@yahoo.com.

Since I have posted what I paid a couple of weeks ago I have received twelve e-mails from people wanting the name of the sales guy I went through. I am amazed of how many people read these forums. So far out of these twelve one e-mailed me back saying that he bought from the same sales guy and paid the same price.

Reading these forums was a big help in buying a car and I just want to post my experience to help others :) .

Price I paid for ES 350 Lexus in Dallas

Bought on 07-28-2007

I paid $34,500.00 for my ES 350 at Sewell Lexus Dallas. The only thing it did not have is Navigation, High Intensity Headlamps, Mark Levinson Audio, Park Assist, Panoramic Sun Roof and Chrome Wheels.

Sewell wanted $1,700 for Chrome wheels, I got the same wheels for $750 shipped to my door from L.A. Wheel and Tire.

My experience with Sewell was absolutely wonderful; I did all my negotiating by e-mail with both Park Place Lexus Grapevine and Sewell Lexus of Dallas. Park Place also offered me the same price of $34,500.00 but did not include Window tint, Hand painted pin stripes and All weather floor mats. Park Place did include the plastic stone chip hood protector though, Sewell did not.

E-mail me if you want the sales managers name, he was fantastic, it only took one hour to sign all paper work and purchase the car. My interest rate with Lexus was 5.99%.

Things I don’t like about the car so far: Engineer who designed interior lights should be fired (Cannot see a thing, very dim), driver side Ventilated front seat works better than passenger side, ceiling is a little low, not much head room (I am only 5’-10”). Other than that I love the car, my previous car was a 2000 E320 Mercedes.

Package I – “Premium” - $38,157
    - Premium leather trim interior with real wood accents
    - Heated and Ventilated front seats
    - Driver memory: Seat, Steering Wheel, Outside Mirrors
    - Power Tilt and Telescoping Steering Wheel
    - Bluetooth Compatibility
    - 6 Disc, Single feed in dash CD player in the console
    - Rain-sensing Wipers
    - Driver Seat Extender
    - Carpet Cargo Mat
    - Wheel Locks
    - Power Rear Sun Shade
    - Body Side Moldings
    - Smart Key

They also threw in the following:
    - Window Tint
    - Rear Spoiler
    - Hand Painted Pin Stripes
    - All Weather Floor Mats

Total list price of car was $39,100.00……….I only paid $34,500.00.

Sale Price - $34,500.00
    Sales Tax - $2,156.25
    Dealer's Inv. Tax - $80.07
    Documentary Fee - $50.00
    Deputy Fee - $5.00
    License, Trans, Title - $103.80
    Inspection - $23.75
    Sub-Total - $36,918.87

Good Luck, John
    E-mail – jm_proe@yahoo.com

P.S. I followed this web-sight in buying a car and it absolutely works: How to save money buying a new car in 5 quick steps.
    http://www.carbuyingtips.com/buyingnewcar.htm
    The key is to get a internet quote from the Dealer through Kelly Blue book or Nada.com, this will cut out the middle man (the salesman) and you will save by not paying commission to the salesman. Internet price will always be far less than walking through the door and getting a price.
    ZHAN,

Did you ever purchase a car? If you did where and how much.
    Klee3

Have not heard anything form you in a while. Did you buy a car? If so where and how much. Just curious.
  • lexuses350lexuses350 Member Posts: 8
    I just bought an ES 350 with the premium package. I was able to negotiate the price down to $700 under invoice. I was curious if anyone has been able to get it lower. I got the feeling that if I had held out, I would have gotten it for just a little less.
    I didn't feel Newport would have gone down in price so I never approached. Went to Oxnard Ca instead.
    I got approximately $4000 off the MSRP. They WANT to get rid of those 07's especially since the 08's are getting ready to come in the door - if they haven't already. I bet you can do much better than that!!!
    Which package did you get? (I think the packages are confusing, because they seem to be different in different parts of the country). Did it include the navigation system etc..?

Thanks
  • carrelman2carrelman2 Member Posts: 80
    IF YOU ARE LOOKING TO BUY A 2007 ES350 BE SURE TO CHECK WITH PRESTIGE LEXUS IN RAMSEY NEW JERSEY. THEY HAVE THE BEST PRICES PLUS THE LARGEST INVENTORY. AS OF SATURDAY AUGUST 25th THEY SHOWED 75 IN STOCK. YOU CAN CHECK THEIR INVENTORY ON THEIR WEBSITE.
    I was looking at old posts and way back in April people were getting the ES350 w/navigations for $36+. Wish I would have seen those in July, but I still got a good deal and good service.
    Thanks for the tip about Prestige in Ramsey NJ. Didn't know any Lexus dealer showed their inventory on the Internet until you mentioned it. Thanks Greatly! I just sent a purchase inquiry to Prestige. Too bad they are long drive from me. And traffic is always bad around North Jersey.
    The package that I got was the premium package, it did not include navigation.

Heated and ventilated seats
    Wood and leather-trimmed steering wheel and shift knob
    Bluetooth Audio
    Full-size spare tire with 17-in alloy wheel
    rear seat side airbags
    preferred accessory package

Price before tax and license: $32,700

TIP:
    I am sure most of you already do, but I found that negotiating via email is an amazing tool. I was having four different dealerships compete with each other. Most of the time the dealerships were unwilling to keep going down below invoice unless they saw that another dealership was already doing it. They want to get your business, bottom line.
    Newport absolutely negotiated. I was blown away by how nice their facility was. TOP TOP rate!
  • dachdach Member Posts: 4
    Contacted the two Lexus dealers in Cincinnati Ohio area thru Edmunds “Get Dealer Quotes”. Both replied promptly.

Asked both for a quote for premium plus pkg with navigation. Told each dealer others report paying 36-37,000 in this forum. Got quotes of $39,100 and $38,950.

I guess they don’t deal around here yet. Reminds me of a Mark Twain quote "When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati because it's always twenty years behind the times." I don’t see any reason to pay more, just because I’m here.
  • es350buyeres350buyer Member Posts: 2
    Dach,

I purchased from Lexus Store of Lexington after checking all dealerships throughout the midwest and south (excluding florida). I got an '07 ES 350 PP + Nav package for $37,750 from Lexington as well as getting outstanding service. I had a lower price at Nashville Lexus of $37,500, but it was further from the home and not worth the drive. I spoke with Rob Lowder in Nashville, and he gave me excellent service and I would believe would be willing to knock a little bit more off of that price. In Lexington, I am fairly certain I got them as low as they were willing to go since it is such a small market. Dale Corley from Hennessey Gwinnett in Atlanta had the lowest price in the southeast. He quoted around $37,000, but I wanted to deal with the hometown dealership. His service was excellent as well. I spoke with Louisville, Dayton, Cincy, and a few in Chicago and left unimpressed with their willingness to negotiate. Lexus of Naperville in Illinois wasn't even willing to discuss price over the phone - they better come into the 21st century if they want the business of educated shoppers. For you, I would recommend calling Lexington & Nashville as their service and willingness to negotiate far surpassed other dealerships in the region. If you're willing to go all the way to Atlanta, the price will be even better. Hope that helps.
    When I first started talking to dealerships those were around the first prices they gave me (3 dealerships in Houston, TX and 1 in San Antonio. I don't have a Lexus dealership in my hometown, but I wanted to deal with someone closer to home. Houston is about 1.5 hrs away and San Antonio about 2.5) I also told them of the deals on this forum and one of them told me he didn't blame me for taking my business elsewhere because he could not beat that price. Another told me he sold the Lexus for around $39,000. I ended up buying from a Plano, TX dealership, paid $37,350. Plano is about a 4 hour drive from me, but I guess I will get my first couple of maintenance check ups from a Lexus dealer in Houston, and then after the 10,000 mile check up switch to the Toyota dealership locally and just make sure they stamp my maintenance book.
    I would think those guys would want to deal be paid something rather than nothing. Their managers must not be letting them deal. They could be selling more cars and making more money!
    Don't give up. You CAN getter a better deal and those dealerships lose out. You can believe they are still making money selling at $37!
    esbuyer350,

I also had a dealership tell me they didn't want to talk prices over the phone. I was not going to drive 100+ miles if it was not worth my time. I ended up doing my deal via internet, phone, and fed ex. Did not meet my salesman face to face at all. In this day and age you have to be able to change and that means dealing over the internet. It is funny you mention educated shoppers because one of the salesmen I dealt with in the beginning told me he would tell his manager that I was an 'educated buyer' and would talk to them about the price I wanted to pay. Since I was talking to him over the phone by this time he knew I was a woman. I think they thought I would finally surrender and pay their price. I called their bluff and now they are the ones emailing me asking if they can give me more info.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,826
    The two Cincinnati dealers are owned by the same dealership group..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Two of the Houston dealerships I was talking to that didn't want to budge on pricing were also owned by the same group.
    carrelman2,

I really, really have to thank you for mentioning Prestige Lexus in Ramsey NJ. Until you mentioned Prestige, I didn't even know about them. They are a 2&1/2 hour drive away from me in typically heavy North Jersey traffic. Yesterday, I got a price quote over the phone from Prestige that was by far the best price I've gotten among the 5 dealerships I have contacted. I agreed to the quoted price without any negotiating. I'll be getting the following: (Note the below numbers are from a window sticker of an ES350 I viewed locally that had the exact same MSRP of $41,662, so the one I am buying but haven't seen yet should be optioned the same way):

2007 ES 350 Obsidian/Black 33,470
    Premium Plus Package 2,480
    Navigation 2,650
    Rear side airbags 250
    Full size spare 205
    HID w/ AFS 815
    Intuitive Park Assist 500
    Wood and leather wheel 330
    Pref Acc Pkg 197

List price: 41,662
    Selling price (drum roll please) . . . 37,300
    Other fees:
    7% sales tax 2,611
    Tire tax 7.50
    Doc fee 149
    4 year NJ registration 231 (mandatory for new cars in NJ, but this price sounds high. Anybody know if this price is OK?)
    Total price incl. tax and fees: $40,298.50
    I'll be picking it up Saturday morning

carrelman2, now don't tell me you charge a Finders Fee. If I have any money leftover, I'm going to inquire about chrome wheels. But thanks again, you saved me a minimum of $1,226, which is the difference to the next lowest price quote I received.