Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• smokymansmokyman Member Posts: 12
    I am thinking of taking my 95 disco on a trip across the country. any suggestions on what to have serviced before hand?
    Got about 120K on it but runs without a hickup.
  • dealmkrjjddealmkrjjd Member Posts: 32
    rkoesler:
    I love my Rover, but am a little PO at my dealer since I just spent $900 for front brakes & rotors at 40K. That is in addition to $300 for rear pads at 25K. Please give me further info about any recall on the brakes so I can complain.
  • dealmkrjjddealmkrjjd Member Posts: 32
    Sorry, mine is a 2000 DII as well.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    enough to explain to me that Ford Z-plan includes Land Rover, I have an additional question...if I want to purchase an extended warranty to 100K, does Z-plan discount the warranty price, too, or can the dealer sell at any price they want?
  • kbowenkbowen Member Posts: 58
    Your post above that the Pirelli Scorpion S/T comes in 18" and was a decent tire gave me some hope that maybe, just maybe, there is an off road tire for us 18" guys. Not so. The S/T does not come in the 18" size, only the Zero model does and it's primary use is high speed highway. Checked with Goodyear, Michelin, Dunlop and a bunch of others and there is NOTHING. Even went to the dealership asking for help and was told that not only is there no decent off road tire available for the 18" wheel, Land Rover will no longer even offer the 16" wheel on the Disco for which there are plenty of good off road tires available. So, along with all of the other changes made to the 2003--unibody, independent suspension, rack and pinion steering, etc.--Ford has truly transformed this once magnificent highly capable off road vehicle into the soccer mom dream mobile with only the ILLUSION of off road prowess left, much as it seems GM is trying to do with the Hummer II (all I see in the commercials is some dainty woman driving this beastly looking HII like she's behind the wheel of a VW rabbit). I envy you and your 96, I believe it is, and your ability to keep it up yourself and modify it as you may need to. For us guys who buy from the show room, they are stripping away all the options, except the option to vote with our feet. It is a darn shame, I really like the DII, but it has morphed into an animal other than what I bought it for. The new Jeep Rubicon looks promising and I may just turn the DII over to the wife the way nature, or rather Ford, intended.
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    The 2003 Discovery is not unibody, it is body-on-frame with live axle's front and rear. It also does not have rack and pinion steering. You must have it confused with the 2003 Range Rover, which despite having these changes is actually a more accomplished off road vehicle than the 4.0-4.6 it replaced. The S model still comes with 16" wheels standard, and the prior years 16" wheels are also still available. Land Rover cannot prevent you from changing to whatever wheel and tire combination you want, it is your vehicle. There is just no approved 16" rim or tire for the SE and HSE with ACE. Ford has had little input into the current Discovery as the base vehicle is largely the same as the earlier Series II vehicles. Rant all you want, but please get your facts straight.
  • nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    Have you looked at prior years' 16" wheels? I don't know the lug spacing but I bet they'd bolt right up to a SII hub. You might even look for some 16" steel NATO wheels and mount some gnarly treads on them, then rotate them onto the truck for weekend adventures? Take a look at Discoweb.org for suggestions about tires and wheels... they're a good resource for tech questions.

One thing to bear in mind, if you put tall tires and 16" wheels on an ACE truck, you're running a mild risk if you drive it hard in corners. ACE will hydraulically limit body/suspension roll but it can't anticipate how the tires themselves will deflect in hard cornering. Just be careful. :)

Rover on!
    16" rims for the DI or Defender won't work, different bolt pattern. But the 4.0-4.6 SE Range Rover had 16" rims as standard equipt. from 95-01 and these are compatable with the DII. Also all non-ACE equipped DII's in 99,00,01 and SD Models in 02 and S models in 03 come standard with 16" rims. So these will not be unavailable anytime soon as they have to be available for warranty coverage. Your comments on ACE equipped vehicles and the effect of 16" rims and tires is spot on.
    Of course! The SII Disco has the earlier Rangie axles... so of course they'll have that bolt pattern. Thanks for setting me straight. And this is good information for all you Disco offroaders to snip and tuck away somewhere for future reference.
  • johnedavies1johnedavies1 Member Posts: 20
    I don't even own a Disco yet, so while I can't comment directly, I can offer some general towing advice.

The real issue with any tow vehicle and a heavy trailer is stability, not power. A short wheelbase vehicle like the Disco (100 inches) will have nowhere near the directional control of a longer wheelbase vehicle (like just about every other truck). It is a case of the tail wagging the dog. Serious accidents happen all the time with short trucks and long trailers.

Also, while it is possible to tow 4500 pounds with a rig "rated" for 5000, it is pushing the envelope and you are just asking for trouble. Be very suspicious of advertised trailer weights - they are almost universally lower than reality. The only sure way to know is to take it to a public scale and weigh it. And I have doubts that you will only be carrying 650 pounds of load in the trailer - full gray and black water tanks alone will likely add 350 pounds (and you can't always empty them right away). When I owned a 25 ft Nash, I carried almost 1500 pounds of stuff ocassionally. Drinking water, canned goods, personal gear, sporting goods like bikes, clothes, books, added installed equipment like a generator - it all adds up VERY quickly. I towed my 6000 pound (loaded) trailer with a 3/4 ton 7.4 liter Suburban, and did not feel as if it were overkill, especially in the mountains.

For your trailer I suggest a full-sized pickup or a long wheelbase SUV.

For further comments and opinions visit the various trailer newsgroups, like:

rec.outdoors.rv-travel

alt.rv.pop-up-trailers

You can use this link to search their archives:

http://groups.google.com/googlegroups/deja_announcement.html

Be safe!
  • pjd1pjd1 Member Posts: 13
    "Has anyone replaced their stock 18" tires on their D2 with snow tires from Bridgestone."

I've recently purchased Blizzaks for my wife's
    Jeep Liberty, as well as for my own 2001 Disco II.(However, I had only the stock 16" wheels.)

I can't praise these tires highly enough.
    These tires are quiet and smooth on the highway
    and they are nothing short of amazing on hard packed slippery snow or ice.
    Do you absolutely need them for your Disco?
    Probably not, a fresh set of stock Michelin XPC's are pretty decent in almost any conditions when combined with anti-locks & traction control.
    Still if the conditions in your area warrant them, (Black Ice, etc.), they're well worth the dough, about $125-$130 apiece, mounted.

BTW, the geniuses in the Bridgestone marketing
    dept have changed the name of the Blizzak for light trucks to "Winter Dueler",(Ugh!) DM-Z2.
    Still, the tire is exceptional.

Important tip: These tires must come off in the
    Spring. If you run them in warm weather the tread
    will wear out very quickly.
    Ideally, you should mount these up on separate rims. By doing this, I have previously gotten three seasons out them on my wife's Volvo.
  • odiopusodiopus Member Posts: 47
    I remember you mentioned that changing your brakes is simple... How can one determine if the rotors need to be turned? I'm a litle over 20K and I wanted to change the brakes on my DII myself, but was wondering if there is a site out there that would explains the details of changing the pads??

Odiopus
    You might take a look at Discoweb.org -- they have an extensive "Tech" section.

There are specs for rotor replacement that measure minimum thickness, as well as (I believe) depth of grooves in the swept surface. As for grooves in the rotors, I have got them from picking up stones in river crossings and things, and they have gouged my rotors a little. I just kept using them and the pads mated to the new gouged surface, polished them up with continued use, and all is well. Once they reach minimum thickness however, you better consider changing them... there's the chance a rotor could fail and mechanically lock a wheel at speed.

As to changing the pads... my DI may be a little different than your DII, but it is soooooo simple! Jack up one side and remove both wheels (so you can rotate them front-to-back later) and remove the bolts holding the caliper to the hub. Don't let the caliper fall so it's hanging from the brake hose. Loose the bleed screw for the slave cylinder and push the pads/pistons back into the calipers until the pistons are ALL the way back in. You'll have a mess of brake fluid so haev newspapers down. When ready, close the bleed screw and then remove the cotter pins that pass thru the two pins that locate the pads in place. Withdraw the pins and out pop the pads! Put in new pads (paying attention to any anti-squeal doodads they may have provided) and slide the pad locating pins back in. Install two new cotter pins and slide the caliper back over the rotor, install its bolts and torque. Make sure there's no brake fluid on the rotor or pads, and then bleed the brakes. Simple! When you start driving her again you'll want to take it easy the first few times you brake, so the pads can mate to the rotor surface (100% contact) and you can slowly heat the pads a few times to "set" the compound and not glaze them over. If your brakes feel at all spongy then you need to bleed them again. Make sure you top off your brake fluid reservoir when finished. Oh, and make sure you set your tire pressures: my stock tires were 28psi front and 38psi rear... if you rotate them you'll want to check that.

This is just one of the simple jobs you can perform on your Disco... it's a good feeling to think YOU can work on her!

Best regards, -Bob
  • odiopusodiopus Member Posts: 47
    Thanks a million! Sounds simple enough. I remember reading something about it on discoweb.org, but the post had already been archived. I found the link after all. The instructions are also up on expeditionexchange.com under the tech section. It's nice to know we can save a few bucks if we had a little time to spare. Dealer costs ranges from $500 to $1000 depending on your area, and that's just for brakes all around. I purchased my pads from roverconnection.com for $200 and a few bucks for delivery. I thought I would stick with OEM pads for now and then try some new pads next time? Any suggestions on where to quality pads at a fair price?

Odiopus
    Land Rover's MSRP for front and rear pad kits on your DII are $221.11 combined. Here's a little secret for you, RoverConnection buys their parts from US Land Rover dealers, not Land Rover UK. They get bulk quantity wholesale discounts from a few dealers willing to take a lower profit margin for volume sales. Next time you check their price, let your local dealer have a chance to match it. They may agree to it and it could at least save you the freight.
    I just went to the local parts store. Here they're called "Schucks"... might be there too? I've tried Wagner and Lockheed pads, both work well, and seem to last about the same. My most recent were Lockheed and if I remember right they had a cool little spring that went into the caliper piston to prevent squeal. I think they were like $25 a pair...

Have fun! Remember the new cotter pins.
    Disco II to the rescue:
    Today's tale from the frozen North...My good friend called this morning to tell me that his mountaintop driveway had drifted in overnight...
    The snow had drifted in about 1.5- 2 feet deep and was packed like concrete. It was bad enough that he was unable to get his Jeep Cherokee thru it, and his John Deere Diesel tractor wouldn't start because it was too cold. So, he couldn't plow it out either.
    I said I'd see what I could do...I stopped first to pick up some Kerosene to get his tractor going and then I drove up to his house...
    I hestitated at first when I got to the driveway...I didn't know snow could pack this solid...Still I decided to give it a try...The happy result was that I was able to cut two nice ruts for him after running the Disco up and down the driveway three times, and he was able to drive the Jeep out thru them.
    The Disco, the traction control and the Blizzaks
    all got a first rate test of their abilities and didn't let us down. It's always nice to see what this truck will do when you really need it.
    LR: Still the best 4x4xFar
  • smokymansmokyman Member Posts: 12
    Is there an aftermarket oil pan warmer or something to make early morning start up easier in cold climates?
    I live in southern appalachia and we have been having some record cold below zero stuff and my disco is having a bit of trouble in the mornings.
    -5 degrees is probably a heat wave for nanuk and a few others - any suggestions?
    Your local Land Rover dealer can order you a block heater if he doesn't have it in stock.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    They are giving them away in Anchorage - maybe Nanuq can send you one ;-)

Steve, Host
    Now that I am at work I can give out the number for the block heater, it is PRC9674.
    Just pop in some nice thin oil. That's all you gotta do. Give her a new filter and some 0-30w and you're good down to -20 easily. I've gone lots colder than that, without even plugging her in (where we go camping there ain't no outlets).

Just give her lots of time to warm up before you go anywhere... and she will be SLUGGISH. It's actually kind of funny. :)

Going camping tonight with the Scouts. Sleeping out in snowbanks with tarps, and starting the Astronomy merit badge... we got lots of black nights, white stars and clear skies.
    A question for the group:
    Has anyone had any experience with the following tires to replace the stock 18" Goodyear Wrangler HP's: Bridgestone Dueler H/P ($133.), Kumho Ecsta STX ($98.), Pirelli Scorpion Zero($124)
    Any direct experience with these tires would be appreciated.
    The campout this weekend was great, and even though it hit -20F the Disco still started right up for the drive home. If you run thin oil you should have no trouble.
  • r178r178 Member Posts: 10
    Hey Tincup...Don't know if you remember me but, I'm the guy with the wife that wants to purchase the Acura MDX over the DISCO. Anyways, I've been working with this online company bear valley. I was wondering if you could check some things out for me. If so here is some info.

VIN# SALTY124XXA215314
    VIN# SALTW124XA2A737200
    I would appreciate all and any help that you may provide.
    Hi there,
    VIN XA215314 was built 3/19/99, last reported service was at 26,083 miles. Vehicle is a California car. Pretty clean warranty history, just a couple of minor repairs. There is one outstanding recall showing.

VIN 2A737200 was built 7/09/01, last reported service was at 4,771 miles. Vehicle was sold in Georgia. Warranty history is spotless.
    Hope that info helps
  • garywgaryw Member Posts: 116
    Are we allowed to post our vehicle as being up for sale on this board or is it against the rules.

Thanks...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    No buying or selling on Town Hall please. Try the Sell Your Car link on the main edmunds.com page.

And thanks for asking!

Steve, Host
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    Let me know, if you don't mind, how your dealings with bear Valley turn out. I'm considering getting a LR from them in about a year. Thanks
    Cheers
    Pat
  • garywgaryw Member Posts: 116
    Any recommendations for LR boards to post my vehicle on.

Thanx.
  • photodiscophotodisco Member Posts: 17
    At first i didn't think so, but after seeing the spy photo in the attached link, IT'S TRUE - THEY'VE SOLD OUT TO FORD!! The photo looks like a ford explorer. What does everyone think about this. Looks like I better buy a 2003 because it's going to be the last of the breed

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5147&n=158,- 178&sid=178
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    I wouldn't worry too much yet. That photo could be or mean anything. Just because the guy selling the photo says it's the next Disco doesn't mean diddly-squat.

It looks pretty much like an Explorer to me. They might be testing some stuff in-with-on it, but otherwise... ??

Ford recently announced that Land Rover would be developing thier own vehicles. And though they will surely use some Ford bits (drivetrain) they will continue to be true Land Rovers.

PAG heads have seen the disaster that rebadging Fords as premium brands brings. The Jag X-type has been a complete failure. It is essentially a rebadged Ford Mondeo, a good car, but not at $40k.

Fear not Rover-faithfull! The sky is NOT falling.. yet.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Yeah, that "Explorer" is clearly just a test mule. And you are dead right; the WORST thing PAG could do is force LR to share platforms with Ford's so-called SUVs. Imagine an Explorer based Disco with no ground clearance, no low range, and a column shift. I'm sure there are more than a few bean counters at Ford who think that is a great idea. Blecch...
    I tend to believe the info here (click on "Future Model Updates"):

http://www.thelandroverchronicle.com/new_page_337.htm

QUOTE:
    A new Discovery is penciled in for 2005. The Discovery III will use an all new platform which will be shared with the Defender replacement also for 2005 and the baby Range Rover in 2006.
    Key features: expect more ground clearance, higher approach and departure angles, better on road handling and better off-road ability.

The price for the new Discovery will remain very close to the base price of the outgoing model, but the base petrol engine ( V8 ) will be replaced with a modified Jaguar V6. This new V6 will deliver around the same bhp with slightly less torque than the V8 it replaces. Of course the new V8 will also be from Jaguar and will command a higher price of around $5,000 more than the V6. A new line of Turbo diesel engines will appear ( although probably not in North America ), the new joint venture Ford/Peugeot 2.7 V6 TD will produce around the same bhp as the petrol V6, but with almost as much torque as the petrol V8

The exterior for Discovery will be a revolution rather than an evolution. Key features: Rear mounted spare tire will move inside, new split tailgate similar to Range Rover's, optional long wheelbase, optional air-suspension, overall look much sportier.
    UNQUOTE

Let's hope it's right....sounds good to me.
    I read at DiscoWeb that a memmber was told by a Land Rover USA tech rep that a FUNCTIONAL CDL will be available here.

Can anyone else confirm this?

I am holding off on my purchase until I find out about this.....

TIA.
    That jives with what I've "heard" through my PAG souces as well. (Volvo is a big client so I dig a bit). :-)
    Could you expand on what you mean by functional CDL?
    Tincup: What I meant by "functional CDL" was a driver-selectable center differential lock. The early Discovery IIs (through mid 2001) had a CDL installed in the transfer case, but you could not actually engage it from inside the cabin, as LR in their infinite wisdom did not include a selector lever. You could still install an aftermarket system to actuate it. (By installing an aftermarket system, you endangered your drivetrain warranty.) In mid-2001 LR completely eliminated the internal CDL parts from the case.

The 2003 Disco II has a fully functional CDL available as an option in overseas markets only. I am really hoping that it will be available here in the USA. It is a very useful feature for serious off-roading in situations where the ETC can get overwhelmed. It also provides a mechanical fail-safe in case of ETC failure while 'wheeling, and a lockable center diff is a requirement if you plan to install limited slip or locking diffs in the axles.

This issue is confused by the recent CDL Placard mistake by LR USA, in which they installed CDL operating instructions in 2003 Disco IIs that did not even have a CDL. Some owners were _really_ mad to find out that their new trucks did not have the feature. As I would have been, had I bought one. Even the experienced salesman I dealt with was fooled.
    Sporin: Thanks for the reply - it is encouraging to here a rumor substantiated, even if the only way to know for sure is to wait for the press release. BTW, what are "PAG sources"?
    Because my company (advertising) has Volvo as a client, we here a lot of the "scuttlebutt" from the Premier Auto Group (PAG) realm.

PAG is the Ford division that runs Jag, Volvo, Land Rover, and Aston Martin.
    Is not slated to show up on US vehicles until the 2004 MY. (I get more than scuttlebutt, I work for LRNA).
     I was just confused by the abbreviation as it was before I had my coffee, I am quite aware of what the center diff lock does. The diff lock was in the earlier transfer case because it was essentially the same case as the Discovery I. The reason it was not activated was because the ETC software was not written to deal with a locking center diff. It could be manually activated, but would make the ABS and ETC malfunction. In late 2001 the parts inside the case that enabled diff lock were removed as a cost saving measure (no sense paying for components that weren't used)There were 2 different Tboxes developed for 2003 MY, but Diff lock was not included in US vehicles. The labels that the service action was for were for UK vehicles that had the CDL installed, it was a mistake on the production line in the UK that led to them being on US vehicles.
    Tincup - since it seems as if you are in the midst of things.....

Do you know if the CDL will be an option or standard equipment?

If an option, do you have any idea of the cost and availability (percentage of vehicles produced with the CDL)?

It is interesting that a phone call to LRNA brings zero information on this subject ("We are not allowed to discuss future models"), yet you personally seem willing to talk here. Can you get into trouble by talking about this? I hope not.

I really want a Disco II, but I will wait as long as necessary to buy one with a CDL, as long as I know there is a good chance they will be available. By talking to me about it, LR is not losing a customer.
  • kacykkacyk Member Posts: 4
    I'm tempted to purchse a 2000 Disco II that's under factory warranty. I realize that these cars are quirky and seem to have some reliability issues but nothing can't be worse than my (I bought it new at the time) 1983 SAAB 900S. I've been hearing that whatever problems there are, that they surface early and once fixed, stay that way. Si I'm assuming that a 30K mile Disco II will have the bugs out. Also, I do plan on an extended warranty. Any thoughts or recommendations? kacykang@hotmail.com Thank you! Kacy
    I can't go into specifics on future models, and have no idea of cost. The owner care dept. are not allowed to give future model info, and if the CDL wasn't already available in other markets, I wouldn't mention it at all.
    I'd take a long hard look at the vehicle's history by VIN. That's just long enough for someone to be thoroughly aggravated by the truck and get rid of it. Tincup can tell you the history.

On the other hand, you might have a good deal there. If the history is clean (no recurring visits to dealer) then you'll save a bundle over the new price and have a truck that will last for YEARS.

I bought my DI at 9 months of age and 11k miles. I saved about $10k over the new price, and I did the dirty work and got all the bugs worked out. It was aggravating (and the DIIs are a LOT better than my '96 in that regard) but now I'm really glad I did it. Your DII will be head and shoulders better for initial build quality than my '96 was.

To consider: at 35k miles you're looking at a transmission service. It's pricey... see if they'll agree to do that service for free when you buy it. It doesn't hurt to ask!

Regards, -Bob
    Forgive me if I'm poking my nose in here, but it sounds to me like you want to go offroad with your Disco. If so, I'd recommend a late DI. It has better overhangs than the DII, and it's got better visibility out the cabin. The leather is more durable, and it's a bit more spartan inside (less painful when you get it all muddy). The axles have a lot more moving parts, but they're still tough as nails. It has plenty of power, doesn't have HDC and ETC and XYZ and all the other mumbo-jumbo you really don't need for offroading, and it has the manual locking center diff. Put a Detroit locker in the rear and a TrueTrac in the front and you're unstoppable.

And the money you save will pay for all these toys as well. :)

Just my $.02 -Bob
  • raaudiraaudi Member Posts: 3
    I need some info about the '03 disco se.I am contemplating purchasing one but I believe ford is the parent company. I am not a ford fan (heck no) but I am wondering if this vehicle is a dressed up expedition. And does it share any parts with any ford products. I know the British autos are not the best but I want nothing to do with any ford product.
  • rp_fencerrp_fencer Member Posts: 13
    Trying to buy a Michelin tires. Went to Costco and shop around. They don't recommend putting in the Michelin Cross Terrain the said it is not suited for LR Disco. Michelin Tech support confirmed it when I called them up to verify. Costco suggested the Michelin 4X4 XPC which is $193++.

Any suggestion on what kind of tires that is best suited for Disco II. I need to change the two front tires. I'll be moving the rear tires to the front and have the 2 new tires installed at the back. I have 34K miles on my truck and I am here in the Bay Area

Thanks for the help
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    Try the Pirelli Scorpion S/T. Excellent tire and a lot cheaper than the Michelin.
    No, I don't believe you'd find a single part from any Ford that would fit the Disco. It's a truly distinct vehicle. At this point I believe Ford is streamlining management etc., and in the future you'll likely begin to see hybrid parts that "will" work on the Rover... and begin to migrate over there. Just not now.