Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Interior and Dashboard

Comments

• obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    usually requires a strong jerk to clear that last latch with that little button depressed.
  • 04chevyext04chevyext Member Posts: 2
    I JUST BOUGHT A 2004 CHEVROLET SILVERADO EXT CAB
    HAD IT ABOUT TWO WEEKS.36,451 MILES. I WENT TO HOME DEPOT AND I NOTICED MY TACH HAD STOPPED WORKING. I CHECKED TO SEE IF THERE WERE ANY LOOSE CONNECTIONS BUT STILL NO LUCK.ANYONE HAVE A FIX? THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS.
    There is a plug in the back of the cluster. Remove the cluster and check the plug. Still don't work? Order another cluster or if under warranty have the dealer do the above.

And do try to lose the CAPS.
  • nelle6nelle6 Member Posts: 1
    It is the stepper motor inside the instrument cluster that is your problem. I know of a shop that can repair that cluster for 185.00 and a one day turn around. Give them a call at 1 800 677 3336.
  • 04chevyext04chevyext Member Posts: 2
    What's wrong with the caps? i like the caps.In the words
    of an old Sheriff. " THAT,S AN ATTENTION GETTAAA" Thanks for the help guys ill see if i can check the back connection
    If thats not it, ill call the #. its a crying shame these
    problems with so little miles.
  • fdubosefdubose Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 GMC Sierra 1500. At about 40,000 miles my amp guage quit. At about 48,000 miles my gas gauge quit working and now stays on "E" with gas light on. I have been told to replace the cluster. Could you please tell me if I could fix the cluster myself? If not tell me what replacing it involves, and what are my options on a new purchase?
    You could upgrade your current cluster to one of a Escalade or Denali. You will need to get it programmed with your current mileage prior to installing it. As far as installing it is pretty much plug and play.

Not sure on getting it repaired as even the dealer won't be able to help you there. Not by replacing components anyway. They would offer to replace your current one with one similar and if programming is not available with provide you with a door sticker that has the date and mileage at the time of replacement plus enter your mileage under your VIN and record it with GM.
  • fdubosefdubose Member Posts: 2
    Where can I get a new or reman cluster? I can't do without my truck to send my cluster off and have it repaired. Is there a place where I can get one of those cool flamed clusters already programmed?
    You can call these guys and make arrangements for programming a new cluster.

clusters
  • wolfpacker1wolfpacker1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 chevy silverado w/ driver and passenger side climate control with the sliders instead of electronic display. The light behind the driver side slider went out last week and I pulled the panel out figuring that it was probably a bulb. I proceeded to take the panel apart with no success in fixing the problem. Has anybody had this same problem? Will I have to buy a new panel for fix it? Thanks.
  • grampy1grampy1 Member Posts: 140
    I just got a letter from GM informing me of a free instrument panel fix/replacement for my 04' Sierra. Seems there are many faults with the cluster. Check with your dealer,or vehicle recall lists.
  • ntroberntrober Member Posts: 1
    Can you help me out with the part number or name to ask for at the parts store? Will I have to get it from a Dealer?
  • asjiiiasjiii Member Posts: 1
    My 98 Sierra keeps getting water, not antifreeze in the heater fan box when it rains. now in the winter it freezes. any one have any ideas wear the leak is coming from?
  • jerryk2jerryk2 Member Posts: 6
    my speed gage goes from 0 to like 30 from 30 to like 40 and just juming aroung has any one had this problem and what do i need to do thanks
  • mike239mike239 Member Posts: 2
    did anyone ever figure out how to get the headrests off ? for chevy 2500 i tried to push the button and gave a hard yank with no luck. thanks
    You need to replace the cluster as it is defective.
    where is it and how hard is it to change thanks
    In 1999 there was a transition from old to new body style. If you have the new body style with the 5.3 or 4.8L motor then this cluster will work for you.

cluster

or you could try here:

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com

I also understand there there is a bulletin out and your Chevy dealer might replace it for free.
  • bigz04bigz04 Member Posts: 12
    04 Chevy. I'm on my 3rd Cluster this month! with no change. My Speedo still goes crazy at times or stays at zero. Plus the last repair on cluster the Truck's gear selector panel did not work, just have a blank screen. dealership keeps telling me that its the cluster and that they will keep ordering a new cluster until they get one that works! All fine and good but they keep my truck for half the day every time it goes in! Any one else have this same problem?????? My fear is that my local Chevy dealer don't know what they are doing on this repair.....
    where can i find the bulletin at for this let me know thanks or you can email me at champsprint31@aol.com with the info thanks
    there was a post earlier that referred to it. How true it is I don't know.

cluster recall
  • caseyboy87caseyboy87 Member Posts: 1
    For some reason the my dashboard directly underneath the windshield on the passenger side began to bubble and peel. Anyone know where I can get a new dash piece or somethine to replace it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Casey
    when the motor is running at idle speed the rpm s go from like 800 to 300 or 400 and just jumps around only at idle speed and i have changed out both o2 sensors be for the converter so if you have any idea let me know i have not check the spark plugs yet and that is next for me to atleaset look at but the code off the service motor light says o2 sensors
  • mike239mike239 Member Posts: 2
    to remove the headrests there is a little hole on the side without the button if you push a paper clip into the hole and lift the headrest will come out
  • davidtcdavidtc Member Posts: 6
    Note that if you have a 2007 model GMC or Chevrolet with the leather wrapped steering wheel you may have a small cut at the one o'clock position with the wheel straight ahead. This would be on the top of the wheel, with the cut radial to the wheel. I have now had my second replacement wheel in my '07 GMC Sierra. The cut is at the point where the supplier starts the protective plastic wrapping prior to shipping. The dealer did not unwrap the first replacement wheel, I unwrapped it at the dealer and found the cut on it and showed them. It was the same as the factory wheel. I've asked to have a Regional Service Rep brought into this but the dealer says it isn't necessary as they will replace it again. I figure it to be a supplier problem. Phone calls to three other dealers in my area have turned up eight replacement steering wheel problems due to this cut.
  • davidtcdavidtc Member Posts: 6
  • bigz04bigz04 Member Posts: 12
    Okay I've had 5 yes 5 instrument panel clusters put in at my local "Parts changer" on my 2004 Z71 4x4 5.3L V8 with no luck in fixing my Speedo that only wants to work some times, half the time it will stay at zero or bounce from current speed to a lower speed. I plan on taking out my Speed Sensors in the Transfer case and cleaning them with some electric parts cleaner to see if that works, other wise its $80 for two new ones? Any one else do this repair before or have the same speedo issue? Am I going to have fluid from the transfer case come out when I un-blot these speed sensors?
  • edh6207edh6207 Member Posts: 1
    For the last 3 days. my instrument panel has been flash. it will go from security, low fuel, and battery. does anyone know the cause of this.
  • muscleheadermuscleheader Member Posts: 1
    Jerryk2
    there are 2 more O2 sensors there. If the read out keeps saying that then replace the othere two. there are 2 behind the cat and two above the cat. usualy on the the exhaust manifolds
  • kiernan_2001kiernan_2001 Member Posts: 5
    I am having the same problem at about the same mileage... Does anyone know how to fix this. The passenger side works, but the driver side does not. It turns on, but then shuts off within seconds.
  • 04gmcsierra04gmcsierra Member Posts: 2
    I have an 04 GMC Sierra Extended Cab, and every time I wash my truck the carpet on the passenger side in the front is soaked. The carpet is wet under the plastic trim and about 2 inches beyond. No wind noise when I drive the truck. Replaced the door seal, but no luck. I have had some one inside the truck when I spray the door with water and they say that they do not see any water running from the top of the door nor the sides of the door. Is there any way it could my getting in from the engine compartment? If not possibly were? Please help,
  • iwaswunderingiwaswundering Member Posts: 1
    I just recently purchased a 1996 gmc sierra, and the front seats are all worn out. it is the basic SL model with the 60/40 bench. I want to install a newer seat which has the middle fold down console which can fold back up into a seat, along with the reclining feature. As mine is the striaght bench right across with out any of these features. I was wondering how newer of a seat can i install into the cab, as to i have a bad back and would like to get the most recently designed seat chevy makes as possible egronimically wise. I was told by a dealer 96 to 98 truck seats are compatible, and by a auto wrecking yard 88-98 all truck seats are compatiable. Is there any chance that a 03 or even a 02 seat would be able to fit in this truck because i have recently sat in one and those seats are very comfortable. anyones input on this matter would be greatly much appreciated because my truck is going to be out of the shop next week and the hunt for a better seat will begin thank you for your time.
  • 2lazyh2lazyh Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2004 duramax diesel GMC Seirra. While driving, my speedometer slowly declined to 0 while I was still keeping up with traffic at about 65mph. It does not work at all now. I am no mechanic, can anyone tell me what is wrong?
    I understand that GM has a whole bunch load of clusters that are failing. Looks like yours is one of them.
  • dmcgeedmcgee Member Posts: 1
    possibly the windshield leaking down through dash
  • chuck67chuck67 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone else had a problem with with the digital reading on the dashboard cluster? I only have 1200 miles on mine and the digital reading for mileage will sometimes work and sometimes blank and the same for the screen that shows you what gear you are in. I noticed it in the mornings when it is cold and by the time I get to the dealership it starts working again. Also when this happens the gas gauge gives a false reading (always says1/4 when the tank is full) :confuse:

I traded my 04 silverado for the same issue and they said that 08 had a new cluster design so there would be no problems.
  • darnold_007darnold_007 Member Posts: 4
    Instrument panel gauges drop to zero on occasion. When this happens, the Security light comes on at the same time the gauges drop out. It could be my imagination, but it seems like it happens more often when I'm coming to a stop. Also, evry once in a while the door locks engage during the time the gauges drop out. They all come back within a few seconds... the truck runs fine during this time and nothing else seems to be malfunctioning. It acts like the computer thinks the truck is OFF for a few seconds
    Any ideas??
    A little more information would help. Like what model year?
    It's a 2005 5.3L V8 ...
    4 door LTS package
    Just a follow up in case anyone else has this problem.
    The dealer replaced the instrument cluster unit that controls all of the gauges and holds all of the information such as mileage and settings. The instrument cluster unit is nothing more than a "printed circuit board" that went bad. They are fairly proud of it considering the cost (~$500 incl. parts and labor). Interesting note: The previous owners had a sony radio (touch screen - NAV) installed and the installers used power from the intrument cluster (printed circuit board) as power to the radio. I was told it's possible... that this could've been the source of the problem. Everything is working now.
  • kc1371kc1371 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 04 GMC Sierra Extended Cab, and every time I wash my truck the carpet on the passenger side in the front is soaked. The carpet is wet under the plastic trim and about 2 inches beyond.

Did you ever find a fix for this problem...I just purchased a 2004 Crew Cab and have exactly the same problem. It almost acts as though it is coming from the vent along the floorboard but is definately not antifreeze. I would appreciate any help.
  • kc1371kc1371 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 04 GMC Sierra Crew Cab, and when I wash the truck, the carpet on the passenger side in the front is soaked. The carpet is wet under the plastic trim and about 2 inches beyond. It almost acts as though it is coming from the vent along the floorboard but is definately not antifreeze. The window seal doesn't seem to be the problem either. I would appreciate any help.
    Your drainplug for the a/c evaporator is probably clogged. I'd check that out first.
  • 66ssimpala66ssimpala Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have 2002 silverado 4x4. I'll be driving and all of a sudden my message center turns red, not charging, then goes to low fuel and the gas gauge drops all the way down, passlock comes on and the abs light turns on. just as quickly it all returns to normal with the passlock light remaining on until I shut the key off.
    I don't believe it is actually not charging as the lights dont dim. The truck will cycle through these changes sometimes more frequently then others. Thanks for the help
    Are all of these "messages" contained in your "cluster"? If so, it appears many are having the same problem as you and having their dealer replace it free of charge.
  • cleslie2006cleslie2006 Member Posts: 10
    WHAT SIZE BULBS ARE IN THE DASH CLUSTER OF A 2002 GMC SIERRA EXT CAB P/U? ARE THEY THE SAME AS THE 70'S TYPE WHERE YOU TURN A KNOB TYPE CASE AND PULL IT OUT AND A WEDGE TYPE BULB PUSHES IN THE PLASTIC CASE LIKE PIECE. DOES IT TAKE 194 BULBS. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD GREATLY BE APPRECIATED. THANK YOU, CARL LESLIE EMAIL CARLKIM@BELLSOUTH.NET
  • jkhmjkhm Member Posts: 3
    '04 silverado: what will cause all the dash lights to slowly dim out and finally turn off and not turn back on?

when driving, all the dash panel lights started to dim and get dimmer. Finally turned off and no longer have any power. Also, the radio went dead.
    Easiest to check would be the fuses. Sounds like the BCM may have gone south.
  • jkhmjkhm Member Posts: 3
    The fuses are all fine. The way that it slowly dimmed out also makes me think it isn't a fuse problem.

I know nothing about cars. Can you tell me what BCM is?
    There are several modules within the vehicle that controls different functions sort of like micro computers. The BCM is the body control module which controls things like power windows, keyless remote, lights, power lock, factory alarm, tach, a/c, and instrument cluster.

You would need to check for codes using an OBDII scanner. Bottom line, you need to take it in to have it checked by a mechanic. Doesn't have to be the Chevy dealer. If you have a mechanic that works on your truck, he/she should be able to trouble shoot and replace the BCM should it prove to be defective.