Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Lexus RX 350 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    With all these decisions life is so tough.

I have driven a Lexus RX since 2001. The vehicle has over 100,000 miles and the only thing that required repair was the power antenna and that was under warranty. My experience is that Lexus is an extremely reliable well built, comfortable vehicle.
    BYW I am a guy and do not consider it a ladies vehicle and besides, who cares.
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    Hahaha, no, those decisions aren't so serious, after all, its just a car.

Yes, I do know that Lexus are very reliable, after all, if a Toyota can last you over 100k miles then Lexus has to.

Well, the sales guy told me it's still consider a ladies car :blush:

Plus, I don't really see many guys driving the RX,

Btw, are you planning on getting the new RX?

Ever driven the x6? I have, it's great, but so are the problems.
    I am presently deciding if I want to trade and buy a 2010. It is a really nice car, but with the economy and cost of the vehicle--need I say more, especially since my car is working fine.

Never looked at a BMW as I heard repair costs when out of warranty.

I would like to know what others are receiving for a discount on the 2010s
  • jpzy3jpzy3 Member Posts: 11
    I was wondering - did anyone from the NY/NJ/PA area get the $10-11k discount on the 2009 RX350 with the last marketing support incentive that ended on 3/2/09?
  • eyedoc4eyedoc4 Member Posts: 3
    For those who think Lexus/Toyota is "perfect" in the reliability department I have to differ. I have bought several Lexus products, always a re-designed model in its first year. I have been Lexus' test bed going through multiple recalls, warranty extensions for parts known to fail and just a collection of annoying problems. My 2004 RX with air suspension had the air suspension fail at 40,000 miles 5 months out of warranty, The car had 5 repairs to get rid of the famous dashboard rattle, and the rattle returned. This was a Japanese made RX. My 98 GS was made better but also had first year issues. For those buying the 2010 RX just be prepared for "little things" to pop up.
  • jeksjeks Member Posts: 3
    This site has been extremely helpful in terms of prices and negotiating tactics. I'm encountering a LOT of resistance by the salespeople when I mention anything close to the prices I've read about here. I am still holding out b/c I know it's a buyers' market, and I have other alternatives if I can't get the prices that I want on the '09, but I'm just wondering if others encountered the same resistance and just held firm through it. Any advice would be much appreciated -- so far, it seems like a losing battle. my wife thinks we should give in and accept our latest offer, about $7k-8k off MSRP, but I want to try for $10k-11k (as suggested here), since I know there aren't many '09s left. Thoughts?
  • daddydaddy Member Posts: 21
    jeks:
    Wait and see, what new Lexus marketing support amount will be since the previous $5K offer expired March 2. I would guess, they may extend or even increase that amount. With more bad news coming every day and the stock market tumbling, it is not like people are rushing to buy a luxury car in this down economy. I would hold out and wait until you get the best offer that others are reporting in this forum. There is no reason to pay $2K-3K more than you should.
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    Hello. By any chance did you see the road comparison in the
    April 2009 edition of Motor Trend? It was a comparison between the 2010 Lexus 450h and the German diesel counterparts, i.e.,
    BMW X5, Mercedes-Benz ML320 Bluetec and the Volkswagen
    Touareg TDI.

After studying some of the varioius pictures, I have to say the
    2010 RX looks pretty good, at least exterior-wise, against the other three models. It makes them look dated.

Also, it was stated that the BMW got stuck two or three times, "three times more than the Lexus or the VW." I believe I saw a picture somewhere else in the magazine where they had to tow the BMW to get it out of the muck and snow. The Lexus came in second behind the VW.

So while I've been on the fence as to the exterior styling of the 2010 RX, I was pleasantly surprised at how it looked compared to the other vehicles.
  • caltimes2caltimes2 Member Posts: 4
    Purchased the vehicle at Lexus of Stevens Creek in San Jose. Did most of the negotiating via email but finalized the deal over the phone. I'm not sure what their supply of AWD vehicles was like since I didn't inquire about it.
  • mar1an1mar1an1 Member Posts: 38
    Guys, anybody have pricing quote fir 09 RX350 AWD new or with miles in NJ area?
    Dealerships have been calling me to come and look at their 09 RX350, most of them w/o NAV. The ones with NAV is at Prestige Lexus and after dealing with a rude/unprofessional salesperson, I decided to close the book on Lexus. That's until other dealerships start calling me on daily basis.
    Today, another called for a black+tan 09 RX350 with few miles on it for $34,500 AWD w/o NAV. I would like to get a NAV system, but if they're giving it to me at a really good price (say $30k), I'll get an after market NAV like Tomtom or something like that. What do you guys think? I honestly don't think that they'll take $30k. This is not my first vehicle of choice. My preference is 09 MDX with Tech/Sport package and I'm in no rush to get either one, as long as I get the best deal.

I really appreciate your help.
  • jciel2003jciel2003 Member Posts: 9
    try lexus warnock nj they have a courteous and reliable salespersons there.and that 34, 500 is way too much...
    Thanks for the reply. But this is Warnock Lexus that offered me the price ;)

I went there last weekend and they were trying to sell me the '08 RX400h as opposed to the '09 RX350 with NAV (that they no longer have). The internet salesperson told me that the price of the RX400h would be around the same as the RX350 with NAV which she confirmed to be around $37k. We showed up, test drove the car.... and then they showed us the bill that was around $40k. In which world $37k is similar or around $40k?

Yesterday, a different salesperson called me to offer me the same 09 RX350 that he claimed to be left over because the buyer backed out last weekend. The same vehicle was available as of last weekend and offered to us at $36k by a salesperson who tried to sell us the '08 400h. ;)
  • tmanmiatatmanmiata Member Posts: 79
    Just bought my wife a 09' RX FWD last Saturday with Premium, Liquid Graphite Finish 18" wheels, Cargo Mat, wheel lock and Rain Sensing wiper for $31652 which is a little more than $9000 under MSRP. We contacted 4 Lexus dealers in Dallas/Fort Worth area. The 09' RX is becoming a scarce commodity in our area too. We found 3 matched our color and options but 2 were sold during the time I was trading emails back and forth. The 3rd one was actually on "reserved", meaning someone agreed to buy but had not closed the deal yet. That deal somehow did not go through, and it is the one we ended up purchased. Can we get a better deal if we hold out? Probably, but chances are we won't get the color and options we wanted. There are plenty of Black 09' RX though, but being in Texas, Black is one color we cannot live with. I am sure people will get a great deal if they don't mind the color (there is one dealer has 7). Neither my wife nor myself like 2010's styling. Of course, that is all personal taste. One thing I do know is that there is always risk buying new/first year redesign model. I worked as a test engineer in the Automotive industries earlier in my career. What I learned quickly is that no matter how well the design or how much testing/simulation you do, there will be design and manufacturing defects. Manufacturers typically will make changes to their manufacturing process and/or redesign and implement them as they get more data based on warranty service and internal testing. Some choose to ignore the issues unless it is a safety hazard then (forced to) do a massive recall. As good as Toyata, it is no exception. For this reason, personally I will not buy a new/first year redesign model. ;)
  • xGuessWhoxxGuessWhox Member Posts: 20
    I agree with you on this one. the new 2010 looks aggressive and doesnt look so-soccer-mom-ish. it looks alot better in person than in pic. if they clean up the rear in 2011 and add some wood in the interior, i might take a bite.

X6 on the other hand looks very cramped in the back and with even less cargo space than rx. just from pics, it looks like rear passengers will have to duck their head when they sit.

if i had to choose, i'd pick the rx over x6.
  • bikerrnbikerrn Member Posts: 6
    I just purchased the same vehicle as you with the exact same options last weekend, got the Golden Almond Metallic and love it!! Got a similar deal with around $9,000 off. You are right, the 09 in my area of Florida is a scarce commodity. What color did you end up with? I purchased via email and it was the best experience I have ever had buying a car.
    r u going to have it financed or lease? if its rx 350 with nav 35,500 to 36k would be a good bargain but without nav it depends on what's in the package. i had one for finance with premium package, hs, 18" and so on for 34k. and they gave me a good deal of apr as compared to tri county lexus..if u buy one be very careful with their added insurance tactics they got me there which i think i dont need it for now but i dont know if i will be needing it for the future.
    Can anyone comment as to dicounts they have been offered on the 2010 withg or without nav?
    What is the added insurance tactics?

The thing that got me is that even for a car with 1000 miles, they showed me the invoice that has wheel lock, premium pain, cargo mats+all weather mats, etc as a part of the MSRP. Then they discounted like around $10k from that price, and then compensate the 1000 miles for like additional $500. I truly feel like I'm being have. It's not a brand new car, so they can't count all these used wheel lock, premium paint, etc. Afteral, the car was used for a test drive, shouldn't all the knick knack be counted in depreciation of value?
    I think I've had it.... I'm giving up on the 09 Lexus RX350 and switch my attention back to the MDX. I was hoping to get good deals on the RX, but I truly have no patience for haggling back and forth. I like RX, but it's lacking several features that exist in the MDX. With all the haggling for a car that hasn't been redesigned for years, I decided to hang my hat.

Thanks for the info though :)
  • tmanmiatatmanmiata Member Posts: 79
    We got the Breakwater Blue with gray interior. We also did everything through email until we got the deal, then trade phone calls trying to reserve the car. We also got 3.99% for 60 months financing. We emailed all 4 Lexus dealers in our area, not all of them are as pleasant though. There is one salesman that was not very honest and tried to trick us in pricing. I ended up emailing his manager and asking to deal with another sale person. The dealer we purchased the RX from was excellent though. :)
    yeah u should take mdx...i just read from the us news that mdx is the number one among luxury midsize so just go for the best....
    with the rx 350 they just want to let go of the last one...did u happen to talk to the manager they can give it to u for like 32k. but if u give up its fine...
    plus i dont know if they r going to have the 5 k dealer incentive for this month...
    mar1an1 at least you are or still were in the running for an 09 RX350 this week. i've called around all week and i'm just told they are sold out in the northeast or given some crazy price of $39k. so i've given up too.

what features does the MDX have over the rx350? maybe i should start looking at the MDX as well...
  • brianbjgbrianbjg Member Posts: 5
    Purchased a 2010 LX350 AWD, with Premium,Comfort, Navigation, Towing, Leather/Wood, wheel locks, remote start, glass breakage packages, mats, roof rack crossbars (everything but 16 speaker radio and rear DVD screens) today at Lexus of Watertown, MA.

Paid 5 percent over dealer invoice, which saved around $3250 off of the sticker.
    Thank you. If you don't mind my asking did you ask for a greater discount and agreed at 5% over invoice. Without negotiating they had offered me about $2500 off on a car with a few less of the smaller options . I am still debating if I want to trade an older RX. With the economy so bad I wonder if Lexus will provide some marketing support in the reasonable near future.

Thanks again
    I started by asking for 3%. Got a response of 6%, then settled at 5%. The whole process took around 45 minutes, and I was pretty pleased.
    Thank you.

After you have driven a bit, please share your thoughts with all of us. It certainly is a nice car and the nav-mouse is definitely unique.
  • dollyhdollyh Member Posts: 5
    Can you please tell me MSRP and dealer invoice on RX 350 2010?
    Thank YOU!
    Check out Edmunds new cars.
    Here's the info for the 2010 RX350 AWD, which I will be picking up next Saturday:

Retail Dealer
    Vehicle Base Model: 38200.00 33043.00
    Comfort Package 2000.00 1600.00
    12 Speaker Prem Audio 110.00 88.00
    Navigation 2400.00 2052.00
    Premium Package 2400.00 2028.00
    Tow Prep Package 238.00 190.00
    Cargo Mats 92.00 55.00
    Wheel Locks 81.00 51.00
    Cross Bars 259.00 225.00
    Remote Start 375.00 225.00
    Glass Breakage Sensors 205.00 149.00

Total Accessories: 8530.00 6870.00

Destination Charge 825.00 825.00
    TDA 573.00
    Dealer Holdback 764.00
    Whsl. Financial Reserve 382.00

Total: 47555.00 42457.00

Hope this helps!!
  • dollyhdollyh Member Posts: 5
    thanks so much!
  • anthonyercoanthonyerco Member Posts: 1
    Well, I just puchased my 2009 Lexus RX350 at North Park Lexus @ San Antonio with the level 3 Premuim Plus package which includes navigation and the mark levingston sound system for $37,000. I had to work them pretty hard and I called their bluff a few times but I finally got the deal I wanted. I purchased the car from Bill Williamson. He will work with you and he will give you what you want for your trade... Hope this helps
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    Hello,

I have been reading here for a while, I have notice that no one is sharing their driving experiences about the new RX, they tell all about the price, msrp, and this and that, but no DRIVING EXPERIENCE!!! :confuse:
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    That's because this is the Prices Paid forum..

If you want to discuss driving characteristics, try here:

2010 Lexus RX

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• hellagranthellagrant Member Posts: 31
    What is:

TDA
    Dealer Holdback
    Whsl Financial Reserve????

Sounds like you got a great deal....that is barely over invoice. The 2010 RX just came out, so to get a deal like that is great. Congrats man!
    If you are still in the market for the RX350 and happened to be in NJ, try calling Prestige lexus. If they still have the cars, then bargain with them. Seriously, they've had these cars with NAV for weeks ever since I started talking to them. And you're right, they also wanted $39k for each one of them. Tsk... tsk... tsk..
    The thing about 09 MDX that I like the most is the SH-AWD. It's one of the best. From what I read, RX350 has tons of problems with it's F/AWD (late production of 2009 and even get carried over to the 2010. I will post the posting that I found regarding this). Besides, MDX has one of the best Navigation system, and third row seating available. Many will try to say that the 3rd row seating is totally useless (for child and pets only), but it's better to have it then not.

The interior and exterior of RX350 have not been redesigned for years. It still has the tape deck audio system. And when I asked the salesperson why the tape deck and not the IPod, he said that because it was going to cost too much to redesign when the cars have been ordered for manufacturing years ago. Not sure if this is true or not, but I just feel that if I want to dump that much money for a car, it better be perfect and not outdated!

For the price around $38k, you can get a fully loaded MDX (Tech Package which include NAV + backup camera, reliable SH-AWD, redesigned exterior/interior in the color combo that you want, and not settle for whatever the Lexus dealership has). That's the way I look at it... It's a bit more if you want the one with the Sport Package. You should really test drive the car to see the difference between them two. I made a mistake of not doing enough research the last time I bought a car (06 Subaru Legacy Turbo 2.5GT Limited) and realized that I was had by the salesperson!!!! :mad: So, I will take my sweet time this time around to get something that I really want on my terms too.... The way that the economy is going, it's a buyer's market ;)
    RE: Posting on 2010 RX350 F/AWD. In my humble opinion, Acura SH-AWD is one of the best at the moment. The same system was first rolled out in 05 RL (we own the 05 RL, thus far, no complaint).

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f14dd11/43

>> The 2010 RX350 (and the Toyota Venza) F/awd system was adopted from the Ford Escape/Mariner/Tribute design and is WORSE than the previous RX F/awd system by a WIDE measure.

>> The new 2010 RX350 F/awd system, like the Ford Escape, uses direct drive from the transaxle output to the rear driveshaft. At the end of the rear driveshaft a "linear" electric clutch is used to modulate, modify, the level of engine torque, 0-50%, delivered to the rear diff'l.

The functionality of Braking, ABS, VSC, EBD, etc, depends on the rear driveline being INSTANTLY decoupled upon activation of any of these "features", and that is the Lexus procedure.

The way I read the information the only time(s) the rear drive line will be automatically "coupled" is under HARD acceleration or with front wheelspin/slip arising from too much engine torque being used for road surface conditions. There is an intimation that OAT, COLD OAT will play a part in the level of torque automatically delivered to the rear drive line.

If the clutch is fully locked, as it can be up to 18MPH under driver pushbutton control, the driveline and tires will be forced to "absorb" any stress due to high roadbed traction. If the clutch is only partially closed/engaged then the clutch itself will be forced to absorb any undue driveline stresses, stressing.

The Ford manual WARNS that in this circumstance, linear clutch overheating, the system may go to FULL engagement or be disabled altogether and advises the driver that should this happen the procedure to follow is to pull over long enough for the rear linear clutch to cool off.

Toyota and Lexus have been notoriously lax with this type of advice so I suspect we will not see this CAUTION note in any Toyota or Lexus owners manual until maybe 2013.

While I am NOT a strong fan of the current RX's F/awd it can be made more functional than the new one. The current model uses a fully OPEN center diff'l that will allocate the engine drive torque 50/50 F/R just as long as both "ends" have equal, roughly equal, traction with the road surface.

The "secret" to making use of the current system is to assure that F/R roadbed traction is ALWAYS roughly EQUAL. I do that by installing all four tire chains in times of need.

The only option with the new system would be to "wire" the rear clutch fully closed and disable one of the front drive halfshafts. You would then have a RWD vehicle, ultimately more safe than the new F/awd RX350.

I have been seriously considering the purchase of a Mercury Mariner hybrid (now with VSC) and should I do so it would go immediately into the shop for a REMCO front halfshaft modification and I would "hot-wire" the rear clutch fully closed.

RWD but with part-time 4WD capability via manually engaging the REMCO halfshaft coupling device.
    does road in tire, multi shield and protection plus policy good...is it a good deal for future use?
    yes, i'm in NJ and I think got the $39k quote from Prestige too. they'll probably wait til the last day of the promo and if no one bites at the high price, they'll sell it to their friends at the low price.

i guess i should go test drive the MDX. i've heard many good things, but acuras never really did anything for me. however, if it drives well, it maybe enough to convince me b/c I've already had my share of impulsive car shopping and i'm done - although i had lots of fun with those 2 impulsive buys.

i test drove the volvo XC90 this weekend and was pleasantly surprised. i actually test drove it to confirm i should cross it off my list, but instead it's back on the list.

also test drove the BMW X5 and was hoping i wouldn't like it soo much(i am biased towards bmw) and now that's definitely on the top of my list. can't beat that bmw-handling. but I can't see spending that much money on a new car so i may go used.

i did cross the cayenne off my list. test drove a cayenne base although the one I drove might've had issues. i guess i was looking for anything to cross it off my list - the maintenance is too costly.

i'm looking for a good quality vehicle at a very discounted price in this economy. a co-worker is also looking for a new subaru, but even subaru is not budging on price. i thought it was a buyer's car market too - what's the deal?! or should i say where are the deals in NJ?

i was actually in the market for a used vehicle and this lexus marketing support through me for a loop b/c of the big discount. unfortunately, i found out about it too late. warnock said they were sold out of the 09 RXs a couple weeks ago and didn't have to go anywhere near $11k under list.

i'll let you know how i like the MDX. maybe we can go in together and get a deal for two. thanks for posting that info on AWD.
    Does maintenance come with a new lexus purchase?

I'm more familiar with BMWs and maintenance is included for first 4yrs/50,000mi. I thought it was included with a Lexus purchase as well, but from what I gathered from the service forum it isn't. Someone mentioned they pre-paid for maintenance... anyone recommend what a good price is and for how long are the contracts?
    The first one or two scheduled services are included, but not for 4yrs/50000 miles.
  • CanStackerCanStacker Member Posts: 13
    Hi Car Man:

Can you tell us if Lexus has announced any favorable money factor or other incentive yet for the 2010 Lexus RX 350?

Thanks,

CanStacker
    As of 3/9 there are no additional incentives according to my dealer.

I suspect many are waiting for an incentive, but Lexus is probably going to wait to see how the new RX is selling, especdially since supplies are somewhat limited now..
  • kf2009kf2009 Member Posts: 2
    Tmanmiata..
    where did you bought your RX350..may I have the Sale person name?
    Thank you
  • soonercatsoonercat Member Posts: 48
    Not favorable. 59% residual at 3 years. Means a lot of depreciation with a fairly high money factor. I saw some folks getting quotes for about $800 per month with tax included and zero down.
  • skylabskylab Member Posts: 37
    Ouch. Considering loaded 09s had been leasing for around $450 a month, that's a bit of a kick in the pants.
    Check out the Acura MDX forum Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences. There are several of us who're holding back together in NJ!! :)

They too have good incentives. And if you happen to like MDX, the best price around North Jersey is supposedly Acura of Ramsey. Somebody in the Acura forum was able to get a deal at $38500 (09 MDX with Tech Package) with 2.9 or 3.9% APR for 5 yrs. If you like the X5, you will be pleasantly surprised with the MDX. MDX rides totally differently than Lexus or BMW though. In my humble opinion, it's more sporty and rugged. Performance wise, it blows Lexus and BMW. And their electronic gadgets also blow their competitors. In terms of services, this is where I'm not too happy about. We went to several Acura dealerships to service our RL and they rarely have any loaners available. You have to make an appointment like at least 3 days in advance. HQ Customer Services follow up dilligently with most complaints though. A colleague owns a Lexus and he told me that Lexus' HQ Customer Care never follows up on complaints. Only on praises.... that's why they have "over the chart" customer satisfaction... hehehe....

Subaru isn't going to budge their prices. While other car manufacturers suffer, Hyundai and Subaru are actually doing very well in comparison. Please tell your coworker to stay away from Ramsey Subaru or any other Ramsey Auto Group (Acura of Ramsey is not a part of this group). They got sued and lost due to their unethical business practices, and still they scam at every possible opportunity. We got scammed and I would never forgive/forget it. Will find out the name of the salesperson and post it on ripoff.com. That should teach him a lesson... Subaru itself is not a bad car. It's a high performance car (at least mine is). But the electronic gadget is sooooo outdated.... HQ Customer care is somewhat descent, though you really have to make your case with them.

Anyway just my 2 cents. I'll never consider cayenne.... it's too much hassle, and not enough ROI. My Subaru has the same boxer engine... not sure how long it will last as this is the first time ever I own a subaru, but crossing my finger. :shades:
    Can you share how you call their bluffs to get to the $37k with NAV? Did you get the F/AWD? (Sorry, I can't call it an AWD in my good conscience as it's not a full time AWD)
    I was told this much for their demo with 3000 miles in it.
  • runner19runner19 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to all the posts here got a good deal on the 09 Rx350, about 10K off on MSRP, NAV, Premium Plus, 18in wheels, rainsensors etc. got it last week at Lexus of Rocville, MD, they have some more, some non nav's too. If you are interested PM me I will give you more info.
  • gregd1gregd1 Member Posts: 38
    Hello,
    I have been looking at many Lexus dealer's web sites. And none seem to show their new inventory. They display used inventory. But no new.
    Has anyone seen a Lexus dealer's web site that lists new inventory?

thanks
  • drjcool1drjcool1 Member Posts: 45
    Runner19,
    I would love to have your contact info at that dealership in Rockville, MD if you would be so kind. Thanks!
  • md_outbackmd_outback Member Posts: 185
    Hey soonercat,
    Are you sure about that 59% residual? That's actually a very favorable 3 year figure as most vehicles are now listed in the low 50% to high 40% range for 3-year residuals (typically based on 10K or 12K miles per year). Many manufacturers were bitten pretty hard with lease returns that had a market value well under the buyout price, so they reacted by reducing the residuals. A residual of 59% could save you about $80/month compared to a 52% residual for a new RX (using their standard .00275 money factor and guessing at a typical price). Then again, it is a 2010 model and it is still early 2009 on my calendar, so maybe that's figured into the 59% figure.