Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Lexus RX 350 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• microcuts629microcuts629 Member Posts: 2
    Asterix4, Do they have new 2009's where you live? What area are you located? I can't find a 2009 anywhere in the northeast.
  • asterix4asterix4 Member Posts: 16
    microcuts629 - You are right.. I found it out after visiting the biggest dealership in the region.. And there are no incentives on 2010 models.. I'm now starting to look at Acura MDX..
  • rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    I believe there are lease specials on the 2010RX.

I am waiting for incentives on 2010, so far none. I bet others are waiting for incentives as well.Bet sales would increase if Lexus came out with incentives since I suspect many are waiting, but so far, it appears Lexus does not need or want to offer any.

Will be interesting as I continue to wait.
  • ctsoxfan2ctsoxfan2 Member Posts: 38
    The dealer I went to mentioned leasing specials as well. I would love to know the specifics (MF/Residual) as I plan to be purchasing in the next couple of weeks. I want to make sure I am getting the best rate.
  • smr36smr36 Member Posts: 59
    I don't understand the logic of offering lease incentives and not a cash purchase discount alternative at the same time. At least for high end brands like Lexus, the market momentum would be greater (world of mouth by prospective buyers) and the cost to Lexus would not change. Further, they'd sell more cars. It's fairly easy to equate subsidized low interest to a cash discount.

I plan to buy an RX in July. Maybe Lexus will come through with something by then. Right now it looks like about $4k off MSRP is about the best I would expect here in the San Diego area.
    I agree with the $4k off MSRP. Invoice on my car is about $5.5k below MSRP (Edmunds). I am hoping to get it for between $500-$700 over invoice, but am realistically thinking I am going to have to go to $1500 over, which would be around the $4k below MSRP.
  • allchemieallchemie Member Posts: 6
    The Acura MDX is a very reliable vehicle. I wouldn't pay extra for the additional warranty since everything is covered for the first 3 years anyway. The dealerships are offering these other warranties and so-called paint protection and other plans to help their bottom line--not yours. I've driven an MDX since it first came out in the fall of 2000 as a 2001 model and have never had a problem.

Just take care of your MDX and keep on top of all scheduled maintanence, oil changes, and clean the car often and you will have years of no trouble and also have your car looking good too.

Greg
    With leases, in a few years there are built in buyers or customers for new leases and, thus, new cars.
  • dmp4dmp4 Member Posts: 2
    Try Lexus of Annapolis in Maryland.
    They still had a large selection last week.
    With leases, in a few years there are built in buyers or customers for new leases and, thus, new cars.
  • WhichSUVWhichSUV Member Posts: 6
    I have done my homework and will be buying a 2010 RX this weekend from a NE area dealer. After much internet and phone back and forth, i've been able to get $4500 below MSRP. Is that the best i can reliable expect or should i negotiate more in person on the day of sale? Also, would be very appreciative to hear what thrown ins and financing rates people have been getting on the RX.

Thanks in advance!
    What is the MSRP of the vehicle?
  • asterix4asterix4 Member Posts: 16
    WhichSUV - Sounds like a good deal to me. Which dealership is giving you 2010 RX350 4500 below invoice ?
  • restonhamrestonham Member Posts: 9
    I think that was $4500 below MSRP, not invoice. And that's a very good price. Is NE Nebraska or the Northeast? Which state?
  • degirldegirl Member Posts: 45
    Hello,

I think a previous post listed Lexus financing in the 5% range. Penn-Federal credit union offers 3.99% if you don't qualify for free membership you can join for a one time $25.99 fee. If you go into the dealership with your own financing it is one less area that clouds the actual buying process. You can join and apply for auto loan via internet. In fact you have to apply online to get the 3.99% rate. I posted this info on another forum and the person that used Pen Fed was so satisfied and pleased. Good Luck!
    I'll post all the details shortly (MSRP, final price, dealership) if the sale goes through.

In the meantime, still hoping to hear from someone who has financed if Lexus is willing to beat the standard credit union rates to get the sale done and what final throw ins would be be reasonable to ask for on day of sale.
  • wrahnwrahn Member Posts: 45
    If you get your RX350 2010 for $4k below MSRP, you're good.

Lots of luck,
    Wes
  • tyler70tyler70 Member Posts: 82
    I spoke with someone today who recent bought a 2010 RX 350 thru a "auto broker". she bought a fully loaded including the head up display, except for rear seat entertainment for $45k including all taxes and dmv and all fee. she paid it off w/o finance. I just wonder if anyone knows about this buying method. she said her $45k is inclusive of the broker fee. This is something new to me. she basically she told the broker the exact veh that she wants and the price that she is willing to pay up to, and the broker is responsible to work with all internet managers and they got her the exact veh for less that her was willing to pay. they even deliver the veh to her house for her. :confuse:
    I believe a broker is a person that buys a lot of cars from various dealers and, thus, by volume, can get a better price.

What was the MSRP of the vehicle you mentioned?
    It would be more helpful if you could state the details since state fees and taxes vary. CA just upped the sales tax and registration fees. What were the options, what was the MSRP and what discount was negotiated??? So far, it seems that $4,000 off MSRP is considered a good, but doable deal.

I prefer direct buyer to seller negotiation. I don't believe that, in this buyer's market, a broker can get a better deal for me. If any broker out there in the "cloud" can get a better deal, let us know.
    I believe a broker is a person that buys a lot of cars from various dealers and, thus, by volume, can get a better price.

What was the MSRP of the vehicle you mentioned?
    I dont know the exact options nor the MSRP, because she did not know all the packages names. however she said she has the best packagaes and all the options except the rear entaintament package. I tried to look up the pricdes with a fully loaded veh, the MSRP is almost 50k. It seems too good to be true for her to buy it for 45k all inclusive. Given that she bought it before the CA increase it sales tax from 7.75% to 8.25 and DMV increased it fee, but still, it does add up. I am still waiting for her to call me with the "broker's" information so i can contact them.
    Pulled the trigger on a 2010 RX on Saturday. Went with Nav package (Nav/Comfort/etc) with a MSRP of $46,766. Ended up getting the car for $42,500, which is about $1400 above invoice. Also got them to throw in the all-weather mats. Don't think I did too bad considering this is a brand new model. Ended up doing a 3 yr lease. Residual @59%, MF @ .00275.
    When you indicated MSRP vs invoice-did the invoice price come from the dealer or Edmunds as, I believe, Edmunds does not include the advertising fees? I am of the impression dealers are working on a difference of around $5000 from invoice to MSRP.
  • soonercatsoonercat Member Posts: 48
    Depends on amount of options. A fully loaded RX has larger margin than a base model. $5,000 is somewhere in between.
  • gmsmithgmsmith Member Posts: 6
    What dealer did you work with on this? I am looking for the same config and same type of lease, I can't get anyone to come down that far....
    Finally bought my 2010 RX this weekend in the Boston area. Went with Smoky Grey Nav, includes prem/comfort pcks, wood wheel/knob, towing prep, wheel locks, cargo mat, & remote start. No rear ent DVD.

MSRP ($47141)
    Final price paid: $41850 ($5291 below MSRP)
    Out the door after tax, Reg, Insp, Title, Doc Prep: $44376.50 (probably could have haggled a bit on doc fees but didn't bother.)
    Financing: 4% with 5K down for 48 or 60 mos (maybe could've shopped for a bit better with credit unions but too lazy)

As soon as i actually take possesion, I'll fill you in on the details of which dealer (don't want to jinx it), though i will say that 3 dealers in the boston area were willing to give near identical deals. One was classy (got the sale), the other two more high pressure (lost my sale).

Good luck to those looking to buy in May!
    When will you be taking possession(so I know when you will provide additional info) as I am in the Boston area and would like to know which dealer you felt was classy and any additional details you can provide? From your previous posts, I know you researched carefully. I assume no trade was involved? Do you know the invoice according to the dealer? I am hoping to buy soon and would appreciate any input you can provide as it sounds like you got an excellent deal. Since all dealers were within the same ballpark was it necessary to negotiate a great deal or were all pretty much the same early on? Was financing via the dealer?
    Your purchasing near the end of the month may have helped you in negotiating.

Thank you in advance for all your help.
    hi whichsuv. which package does "remote start" come under because I cant find it anywhere on the option list. how much is that option? I am also interested in park assist but the dealers i visited said it does not come in as "stand along" option. what I want is: nav + premium + comfort + wood trim + park assist but I have not seen this combination. I think you got a very good deal. did you go thru salesman or thru the internet dept ? thanks
    Hoffman Lexus in Hartford, CT. Good experience, no pressure.
    Invoice Price came from Edmunds. MSRP was sticker price.
    I believe that remote start comes with the premium package (don't quote me on this). I know that I got remote start on mine, and I got the nav/premium/comfort/wood combination.
    I have seen it as a stand alone option for $375.00
    Hi rparis & tyler70.

I'll be picking it up next week sometime, so i'll fill you in on the dealership info then.

Calculating the actual invoice is tricky. In my particular case, if you go by CR, kbb, or edmonds it seemed to be 40,700 (after subtracting dealer holdback) for the Nav car with a MSRP of 47141. Now the dealer will show you a printout that lists his invoice for this car at 42K+ but i don't believe it. No point arguing over what invoice actually is, jsut tell him your going to take the lowest offer, so its academic.

In my case, no trade was invloved and i did finance through Lexus. The remote start option i believe is a stand alone as it was present on only some of the Nav models i saw. All models in NE come with AWD and premium package. You can get the invoice and MSRP for it from any of the above websites. I think the CR new price report is very helpful if your willing to pay the 14 bucks.

It is definitely best to do most of the price negitotiating first with internet sales guys. Play them off against each other and then go visit the three lowest in person on the same day with quotes you already know are very competitive. You'll be able to knock at least a few hundred off that on site. In my case, i told them that financing would be the tie breaker and i wanted a rate of at least 4%. Don't let them tell you they have no control over rates. They can easily pull favors with their banks to get you a "buy rate"

Hope this was helpful.
    Thank you for the detailed response.

I will look forward to learning which dealer you purchased from. Were they all within a hundred or two of each other? I don't think Edmunds includes local dealer advertising. Appreciate your thoughts on invoice print out from dealer. There could also be special incentives from Lexus Corp. that customers and Edmunds are not aware of.

Thanks again for your insight.
    I've been dealing with the same Lexus dealership since I traded in my ES300 for the 2000 RX300. Since then I traded in my 2000 for a 2003 RX300 and then traded it for the 2005 Rx300. Now I'm ready to trade my 2005 for the 2010 RX350 for delivery in June. One thing I've noticed is the "discount" to me is not as good as I been able to get in the past deals. Of course I always have bought at the end of the product year rather then at the begining of the year. I've also noticed my trade-in is not as good as in the past even though the mileage at trade for my RXs has been under 40,000 miles and the cars have been still under warranty. Of course the price of the car has gone up with each year.

Now for what I'm getting.

RX350 FWD Base Price $36,800
    Total Accessories $ 8,672
    Comfort Package
    19" Alum Wheels
    12 - Speaker Audio
    Navigation Sys
    Intuitive Parking Assist
    Premium Package
    Wood & Leather Trim
    Cargo Mat
    Wheel Lock
    Cargo Net
    TOTAL
    Destination $875

Total $46,347
    Trade in allowance $19,000

Cost $27,347

There doesn't seem to be any deals here.
    If they are allowing $19000 for your trade in-what is the discount from MSRP aside from trade in allowance? I keep the two figures seaprate when I trade.
  • soonercatsoonercat Member Posts: 48
    Trade value is not bad in this market. Of course take $5,000 off the trade to see the actual cash value of your trade. I found that walking into a dealer who has never laid eyes on you before can yield a better deal. I think you could sell it for way more if you had time.

Obviously, new RX is highly discounted now. Would leasing have cost you more or less based on your trade in experience?
    I once hated leasing but if MF is reasonable and residual is high --it protects against a bad market. For instance my 2007 BMW 328i was a 36k mile/3 yr lease. MSRP was $40k, sale price $38k and residual value is $26k--in one more year. I see 2007 BMW's like mine going for $27k now with 20,000 miles. Obviously I will not buy it for residual nor will BMW sell it for that much. Their loss in this case. RX 350 residual is 59% (compare to MDX 51% now)--
    My discount was only $1,217.

Wes
    Have you taken possession so you can share the name of the dealership, etc? Also, what was the difference between the high and low offers.

Thank you in advance.
  • degirldegirl Member Posts: 45
    Hi everyone,

I was told by a dealership that the luxury package is only with the navigation package. Is this true? I didn't see it on Edmunds or the Lexus build your vehicle site. I also told the dealer I am not sure if I want heated/cooled seats and his response was "all 2010 rx 350 are equipped with them." True or false? Anyone in the pa/de/md/nj area interested in doing a multi purchase. I did see some posts last fall where a few people did that. I inquired about it and the dealership kept upping the amount by a few hundred dollars. He stated the contact person for the group was confused on the figures. I am ready to purchase. I just would stay away from that dealership(Lexus of Chester Springs)
    can anyone answer this for me.?
    I saw on one of the RX review that when you "remote start" this vehicle, the engine will turn off when you open the door. is this true? my second question if if anyone has seen the the intuitive park assist comes as a "stand alone" feature or it only comes in a package. On Edmunds I see it comes as a "stand alone" feature, but then I went to the dealer, they said currently it only comes in with a package. I have been watching the prices on this veh and dont see the prices go down much. I am not in a rush to buy one, but I like to get it by the end of the month. any suggestion when the best time to buy this veh ? thanks
  • bond8bond8 Member Posts: 33
    Yes that is true for the remote starter. Once you touch the door handle the car engine will turn off. That is a safety feature built in. I have another car that has a remote starter and that turns off as soon as you touch either the brake or the gas pedal.
    About the park assist, I think you should be able to get it as a standalone feature, but dont quote me on it. I had spoken to a dealer and he had told me that with the 2010 RX you can pretty much buy any feature individually unlike the older versions.
    And I think buying towards the end of teh month always helps. Because the dealers are eager to meet their targets and generally will honor a decent offer.
    What is the reason to have a remote start? Why would I want the car to start if I'm not in it?

Anyone have RX sales figures for for April and May?
    In cold weather areas, people like to start the car before getting into it so the vehicle will not be ice cold when first starting out on a trip.
  • jpzy3jpzy3 Member Posts: 11
    Could you tell me which message #s you saw the posts on the group purchase last fall or around which month these were posted?
  • sxylxysxylxy Member Posts: 29
    The lease on my RX 350 w/Mark Levinson & NAV is 6 weeks away from ending. Any thoughts on my 3 options:

1. Avoid paying the registration & all four new brakes by turning it in.
    2. Pay the $26K residual, $430 for the brakes, $480 for the registration, $1K to get it "Certified" and hope that there aren't any additional charges during the certification, plus $2,300 Calif. tax.
    3. Sell it to a third party and have them pay the tax...pocket the difference.

Anyone else face this choice? What did you choose?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    What year and mileage for your car?

As far as option #3. Most leasing banks won't allow you to sell the car to a third party, and avoid the tax, unless it's a car dealer. Also, the chance of your car being worth more than the residual is slim.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

What did you finally decide?
    The car is a 2007 with 32K miles.