Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Lexus RX 350 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    closenoughclosenough Member Posts: 31
    I'm reading alot of entries about getting the elusive 5k off of MSRP. I'm not sure that is the correct way to look at building a deal on these cars and I don't think the conditions are ripe for these deals anymore. Here's why: For my example I will be using a 2010 RX AWD as available right now configurable on the Lexus website in the Northeast.

1. Back in September (I think), Lexus increased the invoice price on the AWD from 33,998 to 34,977 without changing the MSRP. I never did receive a satisfactory explanation as to why.
    2. Per the Lexus website, the available configurations start at MSRP of 43,483 up to 47,910. The invoice range is 39,126 to 42,743, respectively. Factoring in a modest TDA of 600 and then taking out the Holdback (387) and WFR (773) leaves a Net Cost To Dealer of 38,567 to 43,343. This leaves the greatest possible margin between MSRP and Net Dealer Cost at just under 4,600.

The vibe I got from dealers is that they will sell these all day long at invoice plus 1k. Some reluctance under that, and extreme reluctance under invoice, but it can be done.

I hope this helps.
  • Options
    scotfishscotfish Member Posts: 1
    2007s are coming off leases. I'm looking to buy one w/high mileage. Are there any maintenace issues to watch out for??
  • Options
    jklossjkloss Member Posts: 39
    Go to any of the Safro dealerships in Milwaukee - great deals and no problems
  • Options
    cutco760cutco760 Member Posts: 63
    Hey nosfertoo,

No problem at all, I dealt with Jack B and Harry. Great guys, actually Harry will be delivering my plates tomorrow at my house. By the way I traded the Lexus survey for a Lexus coffee mug. Let them know that you will trade the survey for one of the items (shirt, teddy bear, mug and etc). Harry is the nicest person you will meet. Congrats on the price.

David L
  • Options
    funguy123funguy123 Member Posts: 94
    I am no expert but that is just a bad deal. 32.5K for cars that already has 31000 miles on it!!!!
    Like you said, you can buy a new re-designed 2010 model for 37K. I would price this car somewhere between $25k - $29k. There is no way in my book it's going even close to $30k.
    You must remember, when you buy new car, it's value goes down very fast in the first year.
  • Options
    nosfertoonosfertoo Member Posts: 12
    At tricounty, I jokingly said that I was going to put my experience on Edmunds forum and they might get more queries for a >5K discount. They said they would match all requests. Maybe the 1K invoice increase of September was just a window dressing by Lexus to give their deals more latitude in selling.
  • Options
    Could be. But the only way we as outsiders can estimate the cost of the vehicle to the dealer is through invoice price. Perhaps your vehicle was pre September.

I'm glad to hear that you had a good experience with tr-county. I inquired back in Aug for a high discount and once they heard my intentions I never received another communication from them. Timing is everything.

You mentioned in a earlier post that the RX you purchased had remote start. I was not aware that Lexus offered remote start as a factory option. Was it?
  • Options
    krishnakeskrishnakes Member Posts: 3
    I am getting a similar offer from tricounty. However they state that they have a $900 charge for fees (dmv which they cannot control included but the remaining amount is much higher than other dealerships). Has this been your same experience

Any feedback would be much appreciated since i am planning to buy the same RX ASAP

Thanks
  • Options
    I got the same cold shoulder in the begining but when I mentioned the price came from Edmunds forum they immediately warmed up. It could be that you have to talk to same agent who gave the earlier discount. I also believe, it is the timing. End of quarter and end of month also help.

Almost all the AWD that I test drove at various dealerships had remote start and it is factory installed. Most of FWD cars did not have them. The dealer also said that at the begining of the year Lexus execs and dealerships agree on packages that sell most in their respective regions. Thus, in north east, park assist option is rare but common down south...
  • Options
    I dont remember the exact fee structure. I know that they seemed to have a high document preparation fee (think it is $350). Also remember, the bandits and thugs who write NJ laws want you to pay a 4 year vehicle registeration fee up-front for new vehicles (so they can double dip should you sell your vehicle earlier than 4 years).
    Since I am transferring an old registeration and tag I think my out of the door numbers are around 45.6K. Will know exact tomorrow. But with $5625 off MSRP, I wouldn't nit-pick few hundres bucks here or there.
  • Options
    Interesting, my experience was exactly the opposite, none of the AWD's I looked at, including the one I bought, had the remote start installed. BTW, it is listed as a POI (port installed option) not factory equipped.
  • Options
    krishnakeskrishnakes Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your feedback
  • Options
    OK.
    They charge you 198 for Vehicle protection program which I guess is the etching fee, 279 for document service fee, 19 for credit enquiry and 7.70 for online registeration. These fees ($504) are, I guess their overhead which can be variable depending on dealership. Rest (sales tax, registration, titles, tag) is state based. In other words they are charging you $504 for their services which I guess is variable depending on dealerships. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    I think you are right. It does not show up on Edmunds, cars.com pricing structure. Although I read somewhere it adds up to the weight to the vehicle and wonder why it is not a factory option given the mechanism of its operation is complex and they have to cover it under vehicle warranty anyway?
  • Options
    rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    What was MSRP as $5625 discount is great. Any secrets to your negotiations?
  • Options
    MSRP: 47625. Sale price 42K plus tax and tags. No secret to negotiations except reminding them of edmunds form where there are references of such discounts from various dealers and if they can match the discounts. Majority wont match but someone will, especially if you approach them at the end of month, quarter and better still a year. Who knows, someone may do even better between Christmas and New Year!
    You also have to take into consideration that many buyers get a bid from a dealer and then use that to pitch various dealers against one another. Dealers dont like that. So you have to call them and show you are not playing bidding games and be willing to back your offer with a credit card right on phone.
  • Options
    nucarbyernucarbyer Member Posts: 2
    I have been quoted $5341 off MSRP - $48,329, down to $42,988. This was in response to my Internet query. Some dealers will not quote me over the phone which is somewhat tiresome since that is why I am seeking out the internet as an option for quotes. I found it refreshing to just get the quote! I think this is a good deal - Yes?
    I also looked at dealer cars - 2010 with 4-6K miles. They wouldn't give me a direct quote, but hinted I could buy them for $40-41K. These are MSRP in the $46-47.7K range. Not the colors I want but I'm tempted by them anyway. What do you think?
  • Options
    I was really curious about the difference in invoice pricing around the Sept 09 timeframe so I went back and compared the car I "built" on the Lexus website back in August versus the one I built since Sept. This also reconciles to what the dealers had told me. The later built cars, with the higher invoice price, include the Lexus Enform and Safety Connect features aka Onstar, earlier vehicles don't include this.
  • Options
    cutco760cutco760 Member Posts: 63
    Are you in North NJ? If so your deal is $988 higher I presume this is with the Nav. If you are out of NJ than I am not sure, but I know a dealer that can sell the same car for $42K with Nav (By the way the salesperson told me that he personally would never buy a Nav and lights for $3K more than the RX without Nav). In any case let us knwo your region. Best of luck $40K for a car with 4-6K miles on it is to much, I am sorry to sound a bit negative, but who are giving you these quotes. Sounds like they are trying to make a buck on you. You should find out what the real price is and what people are paying. Best of luck and happy hunting!
  • Options
    nucarbyernucarbyer Member Posts: 2
    I ended up buying the new car instead of going with the dealer cars that were only slightly less $. I got another quote that was almost $1K higher than 42,988 for the 2010 RX350.. It has Nav, Premium, Comfort pkgs along with a bunch of other stuff that I probably don't need, but I do like that parking assist! I am in the Ca. Bay area and bought from Pleasanton Lexus. The other place that had the slightly used 2010's is Magnussen Lexus, Fremont. They would not give me a direct quote without the big "sit down", sales mgrs, etc. and I did not want to do that.Pleasanton was real straight forward and gave me a good quote. I did have a pretty big hiccup with my trade in, but the car seemed to fall apart at the dealership! Sunroof got stuck, power steering stopped, etc. so that was not great, and I almost left, but otherwise a good experience.
  • Options
    Actually, having the Lexus 'onstar" on a car is great tool to lower your car insurance. I was told that I had been given 20% discount by my Insurance agency for this feature versus what I would have paid without this feature.
    Incidently, picked my car over the weekend. Paid a little more and got extended warranty to 8 year/100K and Lexus platinum package where they will replace dinks, dents, windshield, tires etc free of cost. Given NJ is the pot hole capital of US if not the world, with interstate 16 wheelers blowing rubble, pebbles and stones on highways all the times, it is a good option to have.
  • Options
    jamesp4jamesp4 Member Posts: 3
    (replying to an old post)

In MO, you do not pay sales tax at the dealership. You pay when you go register the car. The 40750 price I quoted did not include sales tax, just the car + doc fee which is all you need here to get out the door.
  • Options
    Is the platinum package direct from Lexus and what is the cost?
  • Options
    xuzuobingxuzuobing Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a new 2010 RX350, White. MSRP $42077 including destination $875, no navigation. I got out of door price for $41000, which includes CA tax 9.25% and Registration and documentation. $580. I thought this is a not bad deal. What do you guys think? I also purchased the extended warranty for 7 years.for $1805, I am not sure this warranty worth the money i paid. I stilll have 2 months to cancel it.

Thanks,
  • Options
    What was cost before any taxes and other fees?
  • Options
    Lexus Platinum package comes from Lexus and costs $900
  • Options
    xuzuobingxuzuobing Member Posts: 2
    Invoice
    Base $37250
    backup monitor $350
    heated seats $640
    premium package $2400
    wood trim steering wheel $330
    accy pkg: cargo mat 232
    Destination fee 875
    total 42,077

I paid.
    Vehicle price $36997
    documentation $55
    sales tax $3427
    licence registration $520

Total $41000
  • Options
    From various posts on this forum, I believe any discount over $5000 is good, so you did good. Enjoy!!
  • Options
    msj09msj09 Member Posts: 32
    Where in CA did you get it?
  • Options
    vonnrvvonnrv Member Posts: 19
    Great job! I am about to lease an RX 350 FWD as well, which dealership did you go to? Is it in Southern CA?
  • Options
    ocean11ocean11 Member Posts: 3
    a great deal. I am ready to lease the same equiped car in southern calif. what dealer did you buy your lexus 350 rx from. thank you for your reply
  • Options
    rar2rar2 Member Posts: 13
    I'm looking for a Lexus RX 350 2010. Only been to one dealer thus far...salesman said have to get certain packages and the pricing MSRP is approx 43K, never said what it would be bottom line - showed him edmunds of 36K, (that was base, no packages)and he said that's impossible. xuzuobing (edmonds screen name) on 12/14/09 said his pricing in CA seems to be the same it should be in Mass..which is what I was hoping for 36K...is it possible...and I should keep looking and pushing? or am i really out of luck

Think going in on 12/24 would help? worth a try i suppose
  • Options
    marabuntamarabunta Member Posts: 24
    I am currently looking at a RX 350 with a MSRP of $47,250 and the dealer is offering the car to me for $40,900 it looks like a good deal to me; however, some of the negative comments regarding navigation sound level issues, bumper attachment problems and lower customer satisfaction levels have me concerned. As a result I am starting to have some second thoughts about purchasing the car tomorrow. I really don't believe I can get a better price, but am also wondering if the 2011 models due in a couple of months might have some improvements in my areas of concern. Does anyone have any information on proposed improvements or corrections that have already been made to the cars?
  • Options
    I am told by a Lexus service manager the bumper problem has been solved, probably very little, if any changes for 2011. It is interesting to note the 8.5 Edmunds consumer ratings is lower than other years. Still a nice vehicle.
  • Options
    wasabi911wasabi911 Member Posts: 53
    this is a very good deal. Which dealer is this from? thanks!
  • Options
    oncogene03oncogene03 Member Posts: 10
    Thats a good deal. What dealership and city. Thanks
  • Options
    svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    ..indeed it is a very good deal...I don't think that for those numbers you get Nav and few other goodies...but if you do then it could be because of the season and slow sales...who knows?.....this purchasing of cars will alwys be a mystery..as to why the fluctuation in selling prices
  • Options
    charlie99charlie99 Member Posts: 6
    Have been to 3 dealers in Ohio to attempt to purchase RX350. Here is what the dealer is giving me:
    MSRP = $48125 includes Nav/Comfort package.
    He took off $1,000 for some mailer. And then another $2962 off.
    Final sales price is $44,163 or $47970 after taxes.

I offered him $41,000 (without Tax), but he said he can't sell a car for $3,000 under invoice. I realize that this might have been a lower offer, but I wanted a place to start. From what I can tell these particular dealers are not willing to go down in prices at all. Also all three dealers were within $100 of each other.

Do any of you have an idea of what a reasonable final price would be? Not looking for a great deal, but a good deal where I can feel good about the price. And I would really like to hear from anyone that just purchased a 2010 RX350.

Thank you.
  • Options
    charlie99charlie99 Member Posts: 6
    If you are really getting that price with NAV I would take it in a heartbeat. I almost can't believe that they are giving you this price, because I have been to several dealers where the price for the same car is $3000-$4000 more. Where is this dealer? Thanks.
  • Options
    iubus2005iubus2005 Member Posts: 8
    the dealers in midwest are harder to deal with and get any sort of good pricing. I have had similar issue, and am now considering Infiniti FX35. With new year rolling in soon, and lexus coming out with 2011 version in 4-5 months, the price has to be discounted more!!!
  • Options
    lookin2buyrxlookin2buyrx Member Posts: 3
    I sent a dealer what I am looking for and what I can offer and I got a call back. I think I am going to buy it. Can anyone let me know if this would be a good buy

Options: Silver Exterior/Black Interior, Front Wheel Drive, Comfort Package, 12 speaker premium Audio system, Navigation System, Premium Package, Tow Prep Package, Wood and Leather trimmed steering wheel, All weather Mat, Wheel Locks, Cargo Net, Destination fees ( Included)

40k + processing fee (250.00) + Tax

Currently the only thing that needs to confirm is.. The dealer has car to my specs but this vehicle has 19 inch wheels ( 660 Extra and the inclinative Parking or something (sensors for if a vehicle is too close 500.00 Extra)... May be they will give a break on these 2 items...

let me know if this would be a good buy...
  • Options
    lookin2buyrxlookin2buyrx Member Posts: 3
    system, Navigation System, Premium Package, Tow Prep Package, Wood and Leather trimmed steering wheel, All weather Mat, Wheel Locks, Cargo Net, Destination fees ( Included)

40k + processing fee (250.00) + Tax

Currently the only thing that needs to confirm is.. The dealer has car to my specs but this vehicle has 19 inch wheels ( 660 Extra and the inclinative Parking or something (sensors for if a vehicle is too close 500.00 Extra)... May be they will give a break on these 2 items...

let me know if this would be a good buy...
  • Options
    tobe_cx7tobe_cx7 Member Posts: 26
    Been looki'n for RX as potential buy but no matter whom I discuss with, they mention this vehicle as Soccer MOM CUV or Chic vehicle....what's up with this expression...I've been noticing around from past few days whenever I'm driving and suprisingly 8 out of 10 rx350/330/300 is being driven by female.....Am I right????? or it's just NJ specific :)
  • Options
    cwaynecwayne Member Posts: 81
    My 2010 RX350 is my third rx and is as good or better than the other 2.
    my consumer rating would be at the very top.
  • Options
    maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    I am a female driver of an '07 RX350. There may be some truth to the fact that the RX350 is driven mostly by females. But I wouldn't let it stop you from buying one. It's a great car and does everything right.

That being said, I will assert my opinion that I do think the 2010
    RX has a little bit more aggressive look than the exterior on the
    '04 to '09 models. Just my two cents!! :shades:
  • Options
    sparky57sparky57 Member Posts: 4
    We just got a 2010 RX 350 AWD my wife actually won a Lexus in her home based business. The company pays the down payment and lease on a 350 ES, but she wanted to up grade to the RX. Her travels are a bit much for a lease deal so we went
    ahead and did a purchase. It list for 44090 and they discounted it 3490 bring it to 41k
    After deducting what the company contributes we will have about 4000 in the vehicle.
  • Options
    sparky57sparky57 Member Posts: 4
    Just Purchased a 2010 350 RX AWD. My wife actually won a Lexus with her home based business. They pay the down payment and lease on a 350 ES, but she wanted the SUV. We live in a rural area so her mileage is a bit much for a lease situation. We opted to purchase instead of lease.
    The list included backup monitor, heated seats, premium package, tow package,
    wood trim, remote start.
    44,090.00 sticker
    3,490.00 discount
    1,217.00 tax
    599.00 fees
    42,500.00 Total
    Counting what her company contributes we will have to pay about 4000 for the vehicle. Good deal all the way around! Shes happy! I'm happy!
  • Options
    As I mentioned yesterday I was looking at a RX 350 with a MSRP of $47,250 and the salesman at the dealership was offering the car to me for $40,900 . The vehicle did have the navigation package and several other options that brought the MSRP up to over $47,000. I purchased the car this afternoon and insisted that my car be one that was built in Japan. Several blogs contain information indicating that the build quality appears to be superior in the Japanese built vehicles. I added chrome wheels for an additional $1,000. I am in a bit of a quandary in that I know my salesman will give anyone the same deal, but I am not sure of the rest of the salespeople because I observed other customers who just walked into the dealership paying a higher price for RX 350's with the same equipment. It should be noted that my salesman sent me the best price from the beginning and there was no negotiating. The instructions on this site indicate that I can not post the names of salespeople, telephone numbers, e-mail addresses or other contact information. So my suggestion is for people to ask for internet quotes on a 2010 RX 350 using zip code 92677. One of the dealerships that will pop up is Park Place Lexus, Mission Viejo, CA. If you send them a request for an internet quote you should receive an e-mail with the same price I received in your e-mail reply. I am very pleased with the deal and treatment I received at this dealership. Incidentally, they were $1500 under the other dealerships in my area (Orange County, CA). This is the second Lexus I have purchased from this dealership using the same technique. I have seven friends who have purchased their RX 350's there during the period 2001 to 2008. Good luck, I hope it helps some people.
  • Options
    bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    Congratulations on your purchase and happy driving.

Looked seriously at the Mercedes M class but found the dealer's employees seemed somewhat aloof, as were(in my opinion) the BMW sales people. Sorry but I have a difficulty buying from someone that is talking down to me when I am looking to spend 40 to $50,000.

You're right about the bmw dealer, I had a similar experience but benz were worse...
  • Options
    A RX 350 with MSRP just under $43,000 was priced to me at a little over $36,000 at Park Place Lexus in Mission Viejo, CA this afternoon. Their prices on internet sales are approximately $6,200 off the MSRP on RX 350s for the month of December.