Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• r178r178 Member Posts: 10
    What is LandRovers policy on a vehicles warranty when taken out of North AmericaS? If I purchase the vehicle here in North America, and a major service issue should happen while I'm overseas will the other countries warrant this repair?
    It is now down to the GX470 and the SE7. The Lexus group of NorthAmerica stated that they could not cover it and it was basically up to the dealer. Is this the same with the Rover Group?
    I did not see anything on the web-site. Could you please help.
    Thanks
  • disco99disco99 Member Posts: 74
    I just bought the car a week ago and I'm already in love with it...
    can anyone please help me locate the fuel filter?
    and also I find the distributor cap to be almost hidden back there?

Any common problems I should look forward to?
    thanks in advance---
    I'm currently looking for an extended warranty for ny disco99 55k--has anyone ever heard of Directservicecontracts.com..all feedbacks and suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

thanks
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    If you have a Series II Discovery, there is no fuel filter. Also you do not have a distributor, the last vehicles that had one were the 95 MY Discoverys. In the back of the engine are a series of coil packs. This is what the spark plug wires attach to.
    The Warranty on North American Land Rover's are good only in America or Canada. The Warranty on these vehicles is provided by Land Rover North America, not by Land Rover in the UK. Most imported vehicles have the same set up.
    thanks tincup...I guess I have a lot to learn from you guys.
    thanks a mil
  • r178r178 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks Tincup, I've been trying to find a way around these type of road-blocks. I guess I figured that since the vehicle was made in Europe, that It would hold up. I guess I'll be seing Europe from behind the wheel of the nissan.
    can anyone please tell me if there is a transmission dip stick on the 99 disco II--if yes, where can I find it.--

and also what's the easiest way to drain my radiator?
    thanks to all in advance-
    There is no transmission dipstick on a Discovery II. fluid has to be checked on a level surface from under the vehicle. Some people claim that all British vehicles have self draining radiators ;) The correct procedure to drain the complete cooling system yourself involves removing the expansion tank lid,drain plugs on each side of the block, the lower radiator hose at the radiator to drain the radiator and the top hose at the thermostat housing. Refilling is the opposite of the above, but there are additional steps required to bleed the system of air. You may want to have a dealer do this for you as it seems a bit complicated.
    thanks again tincup-as you can see I'm no expert on cars---
  • phill27phill27 Member Posts: 31
    I have one rear fog light working. I have replaced the bulb on the non working side and found some water in the unit casing. Is this something that a replacement unit and gasket could fix?
    ouch....
    I just realized my transfer case stick is stuck to H--I can't move it to N nor L-I've followed all instructions from my manual..any thoughts? perhaps empty transfer case? I have a 90 day warranty with my dealer..maybe I'll take it back and have them fixed it..any ideas?
    I'm no expert phill-but since water found its way in the unit casing-it might be a gasket problem or the casing may need some tightning from the inside--
  • enginoneenginone Member Posts: 20
    Before you write off the Rover, you may want to research European delivery options. You order from here, and pick up over there. In the past, prices have been attractive as well. That may be a way for you to get a Rover that could be covered for the time you're touring outside the US? Does Tincup know where you could get more info? I would guess LR Centers have info packets available.
    I'm NO expert but... My manual says if you get stuck in either High or Low to briefly switch gear selector into gear: either Drive or Reverse, then try again. I'm driving a 2000 disco II I guess it MAY work.
    thanks phill-I'll give it a shot soon.
  • nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    My DI works best switching from Lo-N-Hi when I'm rolling forward ver-r-r-r-r-ry slowly. I mean like 1mph. Get rolling just a touch, put the transmission in neutral (main transmission, move it from Drive to Neutral) and then switch the transfer case from H to L, then put her back into Drive.

You might try crawling under there and juicing the linkage with WD-40 to loosen things up. Sticking diff-lock linkage is a common problem when these beasts don't get much low range use, and at least in my case, the diff lock and low range select use the same lever.

Good luck, -Bob
    thanks bob-I'll give it a shot-

On a different note do I have to use only LR genuine recommended antifreeze(oat).I'm considering a prestone or gm antifreeze-methanol,nitrate etc free)
    thanks
    Land Rover has specified the OAT long life coolant as the only acceptable coolant for the Discovery II. Using any other coolant will keep some poor british engineer up at nights worrying and could possibly lead to warranty problems on cooling system related issues. Havoline Dex-cool compatible is the key on coolant for this vehicle.
    thanks again tincup-if it weren't for you I would have destroyed this car already?
    Yeah, and whatever you do, DO NOT even THINK of using power steering fluid in your power steering system!!

At least one the Series I Disco...

(grin)
    That brake fluid better be by Girling. Rumor has it that Guinness has a deal with Girling to dispose of their surplus product.

;)
    Has anyone installed the extension for the factory roof rack? Looking at the way it's put together seems like a do-it- yourself job. However, I'm concerned about leakage if I have to drill into the roof!
    On a different note, I found British Pacific has several parts for rovers. Has anyone had experience with them. If not, can someone point me to a better source?
    Actually Land Rover specifies Castrol LMA DOT 4 as the correct brake fluid for all Land Rover products.
    thanks bob-I followed your exact instructions and I was able to switch from H to l.

I hope you guys don't find me to be a little annoying-I just do not want to do something really stupid--
    The only stupid thing you can do with your Rover is to not take it offroad regularly. Everything else can be chalked up to "learning experience".

So how do you like the way your trans shifts gears once you get into low range? Wahoo!

I was coming back out from a long offroading adventure last weekend and coming over the crest of a hill on a narrow trail there was a mini-SUV struggling to come up what I wanted to go down. Since uphill has right-of-way over downhill, I quickly jerked the wheel to the right to make way (he was close!) and drove right into the alder and willow thickets. My copilot shrieked and grabbed the handrails as I broke off 1.5" mini-trees with my a-pillar and wing, and when the mini-ute had passed I backed out again and there was another nice patina on the offside. No worries, most of that stuff buffs right out and the remaining marks on the roof are just gonna STAY up there. I kinda like 'em.
    I just bought a new house, and FINALLY got the garage emptied so I could park Anuqa inside once more. So I fired her up last night and drove merrily into the garage.

***BAM BAM***!!!!!

@%&#%^*#^!#! I thought as I got out and looked. The garage door was maladjusted so it didn't go clear to the top, as my old door used to. I broke both ski racks right off the top, and my long-wise bars were wedged in beneath the door.

I quickly adjusted the door and raised it another 4" but that's still not enough. With my tall tires and lift I can't get inside without dragging my bars. RATS.

I'm sure I'll come up with a solution. I just hate to be on the "taking" end of a stupid move like this.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That's Mother Nature's way of getting back at you for wiping out those Alaskan "trees."

Maybe you'll just have to air down to get it in the garage, lol.

Steve, Host
    ...cut off 6" from the bottom of the door and fabricate a heavy canvas pouch with a chain in it, heavy enough to hang on the floor and seal out the arctic blast, but light enough to drive beneath it and not tear off Ski Racks Episode Three.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Don't know how to build a garage - for some reason they insist of pouring the slab up to the foundation edge and wipe out the garage door clearance in the process.

I trust you haul your bikes inside or on the back?

Steve, Host
    I can get two mtn bikes inside the back, with packs and helmets secured. It's the best place to put 'em to avoid the odd situation where you're coming home tired (like my brother) and forget the bikes are on top (like my brother) and drive under a low overpass at 70mph (like my brother).

;)
  • blockislandguyblockislandguy Member Posts: 336
    I get tired sometimes reading about this precious vehicle that has more character flaws than Charles Mansion, swills rare and expensive coolant, uses wierd brake and power steering fluid that in some models isn't really power steering fluid, and has an Edmunds Total Cost of Ownership that would shock you.

Why do people buy them? To be on a first name basis with a safari-suit clad service writer who calls the front lot his "forecourt"? A Disco ain't fast, ain't cheap, corners like a Hillman Minx I drove in high school, and has the reliability of a Renault that needs a tune up.

Then I read Nanuk.
  • efinkensefinkens Member Posts: 5
    My ownership experience has been an unmitigated #@!&^ disaster. In every sense of the word, this truck is dysfunctional. I dont know what $#%@ I was thinking. I'm sure I'll hear a chorus of cat calls but I'm done. You guys are nuts for liking these things. I hope you all get the help you need (just kidding, very helpful group). Later...
    What kind of problems have you experienced? No cat calls from me, just curious.
    I'm in the process of changing my tranny oil-draining was not a problem-but after putting in only 2 quarts it's spilling as if it's full(I need 10.3 quarts in there)-Ihave the car on a flat surface-should I lift the front of the car? any help would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks
    I just read somewhere that disco II 99 does not have a dipstick nor a refill plug-always a dealer service item-for you disco II owners out there don't make the same mistake. You might also let them drain your transfer case also-it's not easy to refill either-
    The Discovery II does not have a dipstick as I said in an earlier post. It does have a refill plug however. Changing the fluid is possible as a do-it-yourself proposition, but it is a convoluted many step procedure. It is always best to have a service procedure manual before attempting a repair like this on an unfamiliar vehicle. Land Rover does have this available and is part number VDR100330 but is is quite pricey. As an alternative you may want to see if you can find a Haynes manual for the vehicle. I have used these in the past on other vehicles and find them very good, especially for the do-it-yourself owner as they do not expect you to already have a working knowledge of the vehicle as the Factory manual does.
    Sorry I can't help, I have the old-fashioned drain plug and I refill it from the dipstick. You're talking the auto trans, right? I bet it doesn't really take 10 qts. That's a heck of a lot of lube. Is it 10 pints? That's still a lot. And it might call for different amounts depending if you drain the torque converter, etc. Kind of like adding more engine oil when you change the oil filter. Check the numbers closely.

Good luck! And I doubt you'll find a Chilton or Haynes for your beastie... there were none for my DI so I bought the service manual (around $100).
    thanks guys -I ordered the manual today-and I had the dealer top off the tranny fluid-it only took 2 more quarts(no charge)-but it's 10.3 quarts if you take the pan out.

they also told me the only way to partially refill a 99 discoII(without removing the pan) is to add a couple of quarts first-then start the car & put in in Neutral-then keep adding until some fluid comes out of the refill plug-I guess I had it all wrong-

by the way the car is running like new with a new air filter(Purolator), Mobil 1 synthetic oil(10w30)-Mobil1 filter-radiator drain,new front and rear diffs synthetic oil(mobil1 75w90r),new tranfer cas oil(75w90r)and Bosch platinum2 plugs
    My point is after each of these changes the car seemed more "jumpy" and less noisy.
    I think that not having a dipstick to check the tranny oil on a D II is fantastic. This gives me some insight why the warranty on a Rover factory "Certified" used vehicle is only 12K miles. They figure they'll top off the tranny fluid as you leave and what the hell, because you can't check it you'll never notice if the tranny is low until a year (12K) or so have gone by. Then if the tranny does go the warranty will be history. Incidentally, did anyone ever determine if the D II had a tranny cooler?
  • peweepewee Member Posts: 6
    2003 Disco SE Update.
    I filed my first report on our new Disco after returning to Colorado from Florida. The truck ran flawlessly on that trip, challenged only by the 32 inches of snow that fell the day after we returned home.

We now have 10,200 miles on the Disco, purchased new on Jan. 25, 2003. We just returned from a sixteen day, six state trip through Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Washington and Idaho. We covered about 3,800 miles, of which about 500 miles was on gravel and dirt roads, or worse.

The Disco performed flawlessly throughout the trip. We visited several scenic mountain tops, including Glacier Nat. Park. No trouble going up or down "Going to the Sun Road," other than that I am chicken when I can't see anything but heaven on the downhill side of the road. Also traversed
    Berthoud Pass in Colorado, also a high mountain pass, for those that don't know the territory.

Gas mileage averaged 16.67 mpg for the entire trip. I am light on the gas pedal, but we were going up and down hills and mountain sides all the time, which one would expect to detract from average mileage. Our minimum altitude was around 2,100 feet on the Snake in Clarkston, Wash., and 11,300 feet going over Berthoud Pass. So, we
    did go up and down quite a bit.

Most of the off road work was light duty - gravel or dirt. We did three long drives down Rock Creek, over Skalkaho Pass, and up some "unimproved " dirt roads around Last Chance, Idaho. Rock Creek Road near Clinton, Mt., would punish any vehicle, but the Disco took it in stride.

Can't say enough good things about the Disco. Reliability since the day of purchase has been flawless. It has been in for one free oil change. I had no problems and nothing for them to look
    at or fix.

Comfort on a long day's drive has been very good. We drove 785 miles one day, over 16 hours, much of
    it back roads, and still had energy to do things at the end of the day. We are both very near medicare eligibility, so we are not spring chickens able to rough it in a hard riding vehicle.

Of course, nothing is perfect. If I had wishes, I wish that they could make the instrument panel,
    climate control screen, and radio screen such that they could easily be read while wearing polarized sun glasses. Otherwise, the Disco has greatly exceeded our expectations. What do I like most about the Disco? The full time four wheel drive,
    the automatic air conditioning, and the general feel of completely solid ride and handling at all times.

If a reader is feeling queezy about pulling the trigger on purchasing a new 2003 Disco, I think that they should feel no need to hesitate about going for it. Compare it, as we did, to the Jeep GC, the Tahoe/Yukon, the Trailblazer/Envoy, and the BMW X5. If your intent is to do some off-road work, I don't think that you will find that the others measure up. One couple's opinion, but we now have over 10,000 miles behind the wheel upon which to base that opinion.

Regards to all,
    Peewee.
    All vehicles with automatic transmissions have transmission coolers, most are in the radiator though. The Discovery has an external mounted transmission cooler in front of the radiator. The decision to leave out a transmission dipstick tube was done in England, with input from ZF the transmission supplier. The warranty for North American Land Rover certified vehicles is provided by a company in the United States and is the same on all vehicles whether they have a transmission dipstick or not, so your theory of the reasons for the short warranty are incorrect. The transmission in the Discovery is a well tested and reliable unit that sees service in many different vehicles, not just Land Rover products.
    does anyone know a "reputable" extended auuto warranty provider that actually pays for repairs on land rovers.
    thanks
    Tincup, my little theory about the lack of a dipstick on the Disco II tranny was meant in jest. But my feeling is that not including a dipstick is iresponsible. I know of no other vehicle whose auto tranny lacks a dipstick. If you do, please enlighten me.

When you say that the decision was made "with input from ZF" lets be candid. ZF is your vendor. They would have gladly put in a dipstick if the customer was willing to pay the modest incremental charge. (I suspect that Ford did the reverse and requested a "dipstick deletetion" credit.) Every ZF gearbox I've seen, even the small little mechanical ones for a single cylinder marine engine (see www.ZF-Marine.com for full specs) has a dipstick.

With respect to tranny coolers, I thought that tranny coolers are a quite visible add-on in front of the radiator. For my own info, how can a radiator have an internal tranny cooler?
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    BMWs haven't had ATF dipsticks since the mid-nineties at least. Assuming that the autobox was filled properly at the factory(and re-checked during the PDI) there's no need for a dipstick. Automatics don't consume oil, and since the demise of the shift modulator there's really no way for the ATF to leak out without it being noticed.
  • rkoeslerrkoesler Member Posts: 62
    My sentiments exactly! My 2000 Disco is THE best vehicle I've owned (out of some 34). I'm at 35000 miles and no dealer visits (except for all the free maintenance). I have 4 vehicles, and I look foreward to driving the Rover the most (the others are '82 Mercedes sedan, '03 Toy 4x4 truck, and '03 350Z).

A tranny dipstick is not needed - you never know how much is in there anyway because 90% of owners don't know how to properly read it - so if the fluid is not on the driveway, or the vehicles' belly, it's ok. Many new cars don't have one, thank god, because it's easy to misread it and overfill the tranny which then causes problems...I have done it.

Happy rovering to all!!
    When the Discovery II was designed and through it first year and a half of production, Land Rover was owned by BMW, not Ford. Any design input like the transmission dipstick deletion was put in by BMW. Radiators for automatic transmission vehicles normally have 2 cores (sets of tubes), one for coolant, the other for ATF. External coolers are normally in addition to the internal cooler and are for extreme usage situations. Most passenger cars and light trucks do not have an external cooler, but all vehicles with automatic transmissions have coolers.
  • coschoolcoschool Member Posts: 1
    I really want to get a disco for when I will soon be moving to Colorado for school, but can only afford pre 98 models. is there any way to get a disco with good electrical. if it was fixed already will it have problems later, and if the electrical seems fine now can it still go in a year?
    Look for a '97 or '96 Disco. Check the dealer records by VIN to see what the service history is. See if it's been worked for sticking valves. If it's a '97 don't worry so much about it... this is mostly for '96s.

Most of the reported electrical weirdnesses are anecdotal. Certainly there are trucks with quirks but the phrase is "once fixed, they stay fixed." If you find one where EVERYTHING works and it drives well and there are no clunks over RR tracks and it stops well and it goes well and it doesn't clunk (much) when you switch from Drive to Reverse... buy it. You can't go far wrong.
  • kb28kb28 Member Posts: 25
    Whoa! What a HUGE DIFFERENCE tires make. I have a 2001 SE7 with 31K. I reported above that it was making a "whoomp-whoomp" noise, proportionately repetitive with speed. At slow speeds of 5mph or so it sounded like a slow grind.

Tincup and Nanuk suggested it might be the tires, that the HPs are notorious for cupping. I took it into a Goodyear dealer and they agreed the tires were severely cupped (from not rotating them, they said-but I don't think so) and the cupping was responsible for the noise. Anyway they would make no adjustment and said I was lucky to get 31K out of them (with probably another 5 to 10K left if not cupped so bad).

Another problem I have had that I thought was just a characteristic of the DII is the tendency to wander along with every little groove or irregularity in the road. To make this story short, I called the brother of a friend who manager a Goodyear store and he told me in no uncertain terms that I should NOT go with another set of HPs; that they cup and wander. He put me on to Toya Proxes S/T at $152 each, or about $70 cheaper each than the HPs or Michelins. They come in the 255/55/18 size, although I would still prefer a taller sidewall for rock crawling as this size is virtually useless in rocky terrain offroad.

I'm now on a trip on the Natchez Trace Parkway and these tires (TOYA) are just unbelievable. They are very quiet and track absolutely straight. I can now again hear the whiney transmission (I like it personally) rather than the grind of the tires. For anyone considering a LR (Range Rover or DII) I strongly recommend you get tires other than the HPs. I would think the Michelins would be OK as it seems good things are written about them. One other thing with the Toyas, the thread has a V configuration, similiar to the Bridgestone Protenzas. The stated purpose is to disburse water to the side to further mitigate against hydroplane. I have been in some pretty heavy thunder showers and they work well.

The DII handles now like a completely different truck. I'm sure sorry I wasted two years with those HPs. If not for the Toyos I would not consider another Disco, but I still need a more rugged off road tire, which is not available in the 18" size, the only size to be offered in 2004 when my lease runs out. I'm anxiously awaitig 2006 for the Defender's return and plan to go 4Runner for two years until then I will miss the Disco;it is indeed a great vehicle and mechanical problems have been zero.