Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Lexus RX 350 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dontburnearldontburnearl Member Posts: 23
    edited December 2011
    Just wanted to offer my 2 cents that will give potential buyers a good guide. Obviously this can vary by region and other factors, but this is what I've found:

Most RX's come into two packages: RX's with Nav & Comfort, and those without.
    With Nav & Comfort, anything below 45k seems like a good price
    Without, anything below 42k seems like a good price
    I was able to find one with nav, but without comfort, and think below 43.5 seems like a good price for that type
  • jim45tnjim45tn Member Posts: 2
    Looking for 2012 RX350 FWD with Nav, Comfort and Premium packages but would prefer not to take the 19 inch wheels and most dealers seems to only stock these. Anyone have any dealer recommendations in the TN/GA/KY/AL areas that will sell near invoice? Thanks
  • spoteroospoteroo Member Posts: 4
    Yep, great to deal with.
  • spoteroospoteroo Member Posts: 4
    This was the awd with luxury package and navg. about $4600 off msrp. Yes, I'm checking out of state. Local won't budge from $1500 off msrp.
  • dyskdysk Member Posts: 10
    check kbb/edmunds to get the exact invoice price, and confirm with the dealer ..usually the difference is the TDA that the dealers add.

The MSRP you stated isnt quite usual to what I have seen.

Anyways, this deal is good. See if you can get it lower than invoice.
  • gambler55gambler55 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the Dallas, TX area and just purchased a 2012 RX350 with Nav and Comfort for $44.5K with MSRP of $49.1K. This is a reasonably good deal for this region but one might be able to get lower depending on where you purchase.
  • dancingdivadancingdiva Member Posts: 39
    Getting conflicting numbers on pricing for a 2012 Lexus 350RX AWD in Connecticut.
    RX comes with the following equipment at most of the dealers I've been to if you choose the Nav Pkg which I need.
    These look like the correct numbers but have questions about the bottom line and fees:
    MSRP Base AWD $40475.00 Invoice $36630.00
    Comfort Pkg 1950.00 / 1678.00
    12 spkr prem sound 110.00 / 94.00
    Navig system 2465.00 / 2233.00
    Pking Assist 500.00 / 430.00
    Prem Pkg 2400.00 / 2172.00
    Wood Leather Steer 330.00 / 284.00
    Pref access pkg 255.00 / 158.00
    Destination Fee 875.00 / 875.00
    Total MSRP $49,360.00 Invoice / $44,554.00 + $607 in fees =
    $45,161.00 The salesman said this number
    was the invoice. wondering if the $607 are the fees
    quoted or padding)

The fees include $249 doc fee, $175 registration, $179 etch fee (required in CT) and $3.00 lemon law (also CT). Thought the doc fee was high. Other dealers want between $75 and 150 for doc fees but have other fees on top of it.

Salesman said the price offered was invoice: $45,161 but this seems to include the fees. But in the rest of the info he printed out there seems to be a repeat of another $606 in fees making the cost of the vehicle $45,767. I'm wondering if this is a sneaky tactic or a mistake and have to clarify it.

Is $45,151 a good price for this car or is there still room. Obviously is they are claiming it is invoice they have to be making something on it. I don't mind if they make a few bucks but every penny counts here. I need the car right away so a quick response would be very much appreciated. Otherwise I will have to wait til January and there might be a price increase and a wait for a vehicle to come in, not to mention snow here, where the AWD will be immensely helpful.

Thanks in advance. This place is always so helpful!
    Diva
  • jim45tnjim45tn Member Posts: 2
    Are they putting the 19 inch wheels on all of the Rxs in your area?
    It seems in most of the southeast they are doing that
  • hondaman16hondaman16 Member Posts: 19
    I think the dealer is telling the truth.
    $45,151 is the invoice per truecars.com which includes $607 in Regional Advertisement Fee that all dealers pay (ie. someone has to pay for December to Remember ads that are all over the place now).
    I bought an exact same car with same options last month and paid $45,371 plus dealer fees (ie. registration, doc fee) in MA.
    From my experience, most dealers do not negotiate on dealer/registration fees.
    You can probably get a better deal from out of state (ie. Lindsey Lexus, VA) but might only save you around extra $500-$700 but then you have to pay about the same to truck it to CT.
    Good luck!
    Thanks hondaman for the quick reply.

Wow! Never heard of having to pay an advertising fee especially a steep $600. So much for December to Remember and getting a good deal on a car they claim is invoice only to find you have to pay an ad fee for the privilege. I'm not financing or leasing so where is my incentive to buy now? (With winter coming, I do need an AWD vehicle to get up my driveway but of course, the dealer doesn't lknow that ). Even with this stupid ad fee (thanks for explaining that) it still seems like a good deal, except I see some folks are paying in the $44,500 range. If that's a Virginia price I would pass as I don't really want to ship a car to CT. I also have an old car to trade in so I will need a local place.

And was wondering what these $1000 certificates are? The dealers all say there is no more room to move as they are giving the car away. I tried to get free oil changes for life like on my Acura (they are steep at Lexus) but Lexus will only give two. Any other room on the price? And anymore info on that $1000 certificate?

Thanks again!
    $1000 certificate is only on 2011 MY from what I read. If you can locate 2011 MY with similar options, you can definitely get a great deal but I know my region (northeast) was completely sold out on 2011 back in early November.
    All Lexus offers free charge services on 5K and 10K miles (1st oil change on 10K service). You can also do oil change at Toyota dealership around $60 (vs $100 at Lexus) but don't expect to get white glove service at Toyota dealership.
    Not sure if you can wait a little longer but you can probably save extra $ between x-mas and new year (expect bigger crowd).
    $44,500 price the folks are getting from Lindsey Lexus, I think, does not include optional shipping cost to out of VA.
    Speaking of Lindsey Lexus, my car was trucked in from Lindsey Lexus to my dealership in MA where I bought the car.
  • neeedarideasapneeedarideasap Member Posts: 6
    Seems like you guys are starting to get better pricing. I wonder if Lexus corporate is offering more dealer incentives to boost the end of year numbers.

Anyway, this may have been covered, but why is it that some of the RX's say "lexus" on the back while others are blank?
    Lexus in their misguided (cheap?) wisdom decided this year to drop the "lexus" badging on the left rear this year. They say that mercedes and other high end cars only have a logo in the middle and that the lexus logo is enough for them.

Personally, I prefer the lexus badge on the left as it seems more balanced. If you see one with it, the car is either 2011 or earlier or it's a 2012 that has a badge bought and paid for by an owner (I think the badge is are around $50) who didn't like the empty space and had it put on at the dealership.

Hope that helps.
  • neeedarideasapneeedarideasap Member Posts: 6
    Thanks, and I agree, the car looks much more balanced with it on there. I will have to check things out in person, but it certainly seems like something is off in the photos.
  • brs50brs50 Member Posts: 2
    I got a quote on 12/15/11 using TrueCar.com. A dealer in our region quoted +$500 over invoice.
    Comfort Pkg, 12 Speaker Audio, Nav, Park assist, Premium Pkg, Wood/Leather Wheel/Knob, Roof Rack Cross Bars, Remote Start, Mat/Net/Wh Locks

MSRP $50048
    Invoice $45689
    Selling Price $46189 + $250 doc fee
  • brs50brs50 Member Posts: 2
    I got a quote on 12/15/11 using TrueCar.com. A dealer in our region quoted +$500 over invoice.
    Comfort Pkg, 12 Speaker Audio, Nav, Park assist, Premium Pkg, Wood/Leather Wheel/Knob, Roof Rack Cross Bars, Remote Start, Mat/Net/Wh Locks

MSRP $50048
    Invoice $45689
    Selling Price $46189 + $250 doc fee
  • mrx350mrx350 Member Posts: 4
    I just want to share recent statistic on the rx350 we recently purchased for $43,732 in Ga. We thought it was a good value after researching online across mutilate dealers and multiple states and multiple websites.

Also, Lexus is offering $500 rebates for 2012 purchases. We can use up to 2 certificates per car apparently. You should ask for it - easy $1000 savings after you negotiate the vehicle price!

Characteristics:
    2012 fwd rx350 msrp $49.2k
    Gray with black interior
    Main options:
    Comfort+premium packages
    19 wheels
    Wood trim
    Nav
    Park assist
    Cross bars
    Door guards
    Cargo/mat accessories
    Tow package
    That's a great deal !

I was under the impression that the 1000$ off is on non-rx. RX has .9% financing only. Is that a bluff from dealers? did you finance or pay in full?
  • bama_stripesbama_stripes Member Posts: 6
    mrx350,

What dealer in Ga were you working with ? Were the $500 rebates a dealer or Lexus initiative ?
  • tran2012tran2012 Member Posts: 3
    Can you please provide the dealership name and city in Texas please?
    We financed for 60 months. I am not sure about the bluff it it worked. it is all about getting the dealers to participate. I highly recommend doing most of the work via email and avoid the hours of negotiation on the dealer with the sales person always going back to talk to the manager in the back room.
    I worked with all dealers in the GA/AL/TN area. We even expended the search to Houston, TX.

As far I understand the rebates was a lexus offer (2012 MY LEXUS rebates or something named similar to that).
    The best experience I had with the GA Dealers was with the Lexus Gwinett dealer. the sales person (Karla J.) was the most friendly and upfront on the discussions. If you are not doing the research/negotiations via the internet, she is a good person to start the conversations.
    Absolutely - Westside Lexus in Houston, TX

I can refer you to our sales person, if you leave your email address.
  • edmunds_ruleedmunds_rule Member Posts: 4
    Thanks a lot for the information on the $1000 cash coupon, mrx350. I just bought mine this afternoon with that additional info. I had gotten the dealer to $44913 on basically the same spec as yours (extra tow package which I didn't want, but that's the color I wanted), then $1000 off on top of that. It was no hassle getting them to use 2 coupons on me. The dealer said they only got 25 of them, and offered only 1 at first. I think their fees a bit high ($489), and there was a bogus $96 nitrogen for tires. So I could have probably saved the difference between $44913 and $44732 (before the $1000 rebate) that you got, perhaps lower fee (unless you got it at the Hennessey Lexus in Gwinnet, then it should be the same) and the nitrogen off, but didn't feel like going for the kill since the whole experience was pleasant and no hassle. So final price for the car was $43913, +doc fee and the nitrogen profit maker :)
  • water48334water48334 Member Posts: 10
    Hi,

I am wondering if any of you could help me figure what I should do?

I have a leased 2009 RX350 until March, 2012. The selling price back in 2009 was a little less than $36000. It was with about 20000 miles now and nav/mark levin audio, etc. The buy option at the end of lease is about $23000. Over 3 years, I paid $2000 down payment plus $18000 monthly payment.

I checked KBB for trade in price is about $28000 to $32000. So, should I buy it either now for $24500 or later for $23000, then trade in to dealer to get a new one?

Please enlighten me and thank you so much.

Water48334
  • sree5sree5 Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

What IS the $500 coupon. Couldn't find any trace of it on the web. Is it something you print out, or ask the dealer ? And how do you insist that they do have it ? I'll be buying in NJ.

Thx, and congratulations on a great deal !
  • wantagreatdealwantagreatdeal Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2011
    Someone please explain in plain english for us morons... Where are these $500 coupons? Can we access online/dealer website? Do all dealers have them? If no, do all accept them? How many can we use? Are they paid by dealer or Lexus corporate? Please respond ASAP, as I just negotiated a deal in Virginia (that I plan to finalize tomorrow) and would LOVE LOVE LOVE to get another $1,000 off.
    They really are just that, coupon worth $500 each toward the purchase of a new Lexus. No limitation on model year or model.The salesperson took 2 of them, nice bound paper physical ones, put the VIN on there, and had us sign the 2 pieces of paper. He told us they have 25 of them, and they decide whom to use them on. So it is a matter of asking and insisting. You can't get them anywhere else. From the look of them, Lexus gave them to dealers for them to close "tough" negotiators. I would think it entirely possible not all dealers have them, or have used them up.
  • wantagreatdealwantagreatdeal Member Posts: 3
    Gotcha! Thanks. Something tells me I'll be out of luck on these since I've already negotiated very hard to get $1,000 under invoice or about 11% below MSRP. I'm sure they're still making a nice profit, but highly doubt they'll be willing to part with these coupons on yours truly... But what they hey, I'll give it shot.
    You have indeed negotiated quite well. Best of luck. Never hurts to ask :)
    Can you send the info to Mani_Tran@yahoo.com? Secondly, can you give me what the MRSP price before the discount.
    that's a great deal. it would be good to know how you negotiated. Let me know if you could get the coupons on top. what are your specs/msrp?

Congrats
    I went to Westside Lexus today. They told me that they had sold the one car without Comfort package on Dec 2 and the price was 45K +TTL. Can you confirm that it was you that bought the car on that date for 45K+TTL?
  • cubescubescubescubes Member Posts: 10
    Thanks to this forum and all your help. I picked my new RX350 today. 2012 model, Silver with light grey interior. FWD+ premium package+rear view mirror+heated and colled seats, wood and leather steering and shift knob and a few odds and ends. MSRP = 43950. Purchase price 38791 + TTL. I believe I did alright...not the best deal maybe but a pretty good one

Thank you all once again for all your help.

Best Regards,
    cubes
    Cubes, you got a very good deal!

Regarding the coupons, it is entirely possible that the price you've already negotiated includes the coupons being applied. When we negotiated, and agreed to a price, it included the cost. There have been a few people posting who've gotten some incredible deals, and I am betting the coupons were applied to the cost already!

Good luck!
    Actually, I had to sign the coupons, with the VIN put on it by the salesperson. So you would know if you got the coupons or not.
  • rx2012awdrx2012awd Member Posts: 11
    edited December 2011
    Hi cubescubes,
    That is a very good deal. Could you please share the location of the deal and the dealership?

Thank you.
    Cubes and any other new owners,

Did you have to pay the $607 advertising fee. Could you give us a breakup of the charges - ad, doc, ttl, reg, any other ?

thx
    Yes, I had to sign the coupons. I was just letting people know that the price some have negotiated, the dealer might include the coupons - at least that is the way for my purchase.
    No. I did not pay any ad fees. The breakup was as follows:

Car: 38791
    Theft deterrent: 99 (this is more due to the particular dealership)
    doc fee: 55
    Lic fee: 253
    Transfer: 80
    Tax: 3212.

I did not get any coupon discount. I came to know of this quite late in the game. When I asked for this discount, the dealership flatly refused. They claimed they did not have any left and noted that they would not apply to this particular car even if they had any coupon since the purchase price was already low.
    edited December 2011
    Lexus of Serramonte, near San Francisco
  • rx2012awdrx2012awd Member Posts: 11
    Thank you for the info.
  • cb6cb6 Member Posts: 12
    I picked up my new RX350 2012 AWD from Lexus of Serramonte today, car has comfort, premium, Nav (MSRP 50003), they sold it for invoice and used 2 coupons ($1000), I guess it's not the same as invoice - 1000 since I have to pay taxes on the $1000. Anyways a fair deal and it was easy since they agreed to it over the phone. Putnam in Redwood city was willing to go invoice - 500 plus the 2 certificates but that car does not have comfort package which is what I wanted. I actually have to sign the coupons and they have to put the VIN number on them. Good luck everyone and Happy Holidays!
    Just for the record, if someone refers to you a specific dealership, please ask permission to use their name as a referral when quoting a price. I provided dealer & salesperson information to someone with some general pricing, who then emailed the dealership, cc'ing myself, basically calling the dealership liars. While most of us have a goal of getting a great deal on our vehicles, and like to share info to help others out, I was very uncomfortable with this, and feel it is a breach of the message boards, as I never gave that person permission to use my name. My lesson is now learned.
  • john1003john1003 Member Posts: 1
    In the Washington DC area it is impossible to find a 2012 RX350 FWD. Plenty of AWDs. Anybody has a suggestion?
    Two in Long Island New York. www.cars.com, select the model, view inventory, zip code 10010 radius: 100 mi, drivetrain: FWD should show em
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Well... on this board, we don't allow personal information to be posted.. for the Edmunds member or for dealership personnel.

I'd be very careful to give out my personal information to someone I didn't know... I'm sorry for your bad experience. That would make me uncomfortable, as well..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Hi All,

Just picked up my gorgeous new Lexus AWD RX in tungsen pearl with light gray interior. I'm over the moon happy! Now I have to spend all day learning all the gadgets lol. Tough work but someone has to do it ! This is my first AWD so maybe this year I can actually get up my driveway in our CT snow.

It has Nav, Comfort, Premium, Preferred Accessories pkg, Parking Assist (what a hoot that is), Wood/Leather steering and the 12 speaker prem sound.

Total MSRP $49,360.00 Invoice $45,161.00 (includes the $607 ad fee all the dealers up here add in.) Could not find a dealer in the Tri-state area (CT/NY/NJ) who would even fess up to the coupons and few had the color and equipment I wanted. Bravo to you all who got that extra $1000 off. I felt bad at first that I couldn't get that too but my final negotiated price was still a decent $261 under invoice and they gave me a better trade in price on my 12 year old Acura, which was more money off the price and less tax. That was an absolute plus. The dealership and their service dept are great and they are only 11 miles away.

Waiting for my body side moldings (forgot about getting them til I picked up the car rofl) to come in early next week and I'll be all set. BTW, I took the service plan as Lexus seems so expensive for every little thing. It will save almost $1500 in the long run for my plan.

Thanks to Hondaman and all the rest of you kind folks who responded and held my hand through this process. My first experience here was buying a new Honda for my Mom this summer at a great price too. I'm glad I came back and hopped onto this Lexus forum for all your kind help. I know it saved me big bucks and actually got me in the driver's seat.

Wishing you all a happy healthy holiday season and a great New Year in your new shiny wheels!
    xox diva (now the car matches the attitude! LOL)
    Congrats! I think you did quite well considering our region is pretty tough to negotiate on SUVs during cold season.
    Happy holidays to you as well and enjoy your new car; I know I am..