Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Lexus RX 350 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• valueguyvalueguy Member Posts: 208
    edited August 2012
    Sales guy called me today and apologized for the mix-up on my tires. He readily agreed to swap them out. He offered to drive my trade to my home and take the new 2013 back for the swap then return to my home.

I think I will just go there tomorrow so I can test drive the new Sport Version.
    I must say for a MALE drive the Sport RX 350 is mighty nice.

Kudos to my Lexus dealership for making this buying experience very pleasant and straightforward.

IMHO, the competition out there is fierce so find your car (color, options, etc) then go drive a hard bargain. You can no longer trust TRU CAR or EDMUNDS for the real invoice price. Dealers have solved that problem.

Thanks to all those who posted here for price paid. I couldn't have done it without you.
    Dealer exchanged the Dunlop tires for Michelin tires today. 90 minutes at the Dealership. I test drove F Sport version. I'll post about it later.

The Michelin tires are far better in the rain than the Dunlop tires. In Florida when it rains it pours. I'm not saying anything about the Dunlops (well..yes I am) but there is NO Comparison between the Dunlops and Michelin.
    Sure, if you want to save money then buy the Dunlops (I rec. those only on the AWD model) but if it is "free" with the car then Michelin is the way to go.
    The F Sport was a nice ride. About 10-15% stiffer than a Regular RX. Firm but not harsh.
    I really couldn't tell much difference in power from regular 6 speed to the 8 speed tranny.

Handling was good and seemed better to me. Seats were nice but not much more comfy than the regular RX. I think they should have beefed up the seat padding.

Rims were nice for a Sport RX 350. Ditto for the cool steering wheel.

Overall, I'd say the F package was worth maybe $1500 over a Regular RX AWD with the same equipment.
  • nazzy100nazzy100 Member Posts: 82
    ValueGuy:

Can you provide the full name off the Michelin's they put on for you ?

Like 'Latitude Tour or Pilot etc ?

And actual size off the tire, I know they are 19, but the full number ?

Thx
    The Stock Bridgestone tires on the RX 350 are fine. I rate them as a very close second to the stock Michelin tires. I probably wouldn't have gone back to the dealeship for a swap if I had received Bridgestone tires instead of Dunlop.

No way I want $680 tires on my $49K RX 350. Both Bridgestone and Michelin are over $1,000 installed. Hence, those of you getting those Dunlops are being given a cheaper tire compared to those of us with the Michelins.
    edited August 2012
    Thx, I was curious which Michelins were coming through on the 2013, in your part of the country or here.

My 2012 came through with the 235/55/19 Latitude Tours HP, which are fine so far with 3000 miles only. We have Monsoon here, and it's some major rains ,and drainage here is poor, so we need good tires here to minimize hydroplaning, along with proper driving of course.

My neighbor just picked up his 2013, and it has the Bridgestones.

Here in the Desert SW, our problem also, is with cracking due to the extreme summers here. So far, on the last 4 Lexus I've owned, the Michelins, and Goodyears have held up very well on those Rx's

My other cars/sedans, have done poorly with BFGoodrich and Firestones, with heat related problems here or in Calif type driving/weather.

Will be interesting to see how we all do with more miles on the Michelins, and the others.
    I had 19 inch wheels on my last Lexus. Michelin tires. We got 50,000 miles out of them before needing new tires.
    Here in my area IF you have to buy them to replace worn factory tires, they'll cost you around $1300 plus TL installed professionaly at Discount Tire. That's for the Pilot or Latitude for a 2010-2013 RX 350 FWD.

If you buy them on line to be shipped then installed, you might save a bit, but too much work really,

Good idea as others have done here, to negotiate them into your deal with the dealer when buying the car.
    Here in my area IF you have to buy them to replace worn factory tires, they'll cost you around $1300 plus TL installed professionaly at Discount Tire. That's for the Pilot or Latitude replacement for a 2010-2013 RX 350 FWD.

If you buy them on line to be shipped then installed, you might save a bit, but too much work really,

Good idea as others have done here, to negotiate them into your deal with the dealer when buying the car.
  • conkevconkev Member Posts: 7
    I purchased a 2013 AWD Lexus RX 350 two weeks ago from Motor City Lexus in Bakersfield CA. MSRP was $49,300. The final agreed purchase price for the vehicle was $45,000 with the 5,10,15, and 20K mile check. That is two more maintenance checks than what Lexus provides. Options on the car include: Navigation, 19" rims, heated and ventilated front seats, parking assist, and other misc options. What it doesn't have: rear DVD system, heads up display, and blind monitoring assist. I think I got a good deal after reading the other comments posted. This is the first Lexus purchased and I can say the dealership was awesome. I have never been treated so well at a dealership. Never! At 51 years old, I have purchased many cars/trucks in my life and I have never had such a pleasant experience purchasing a vehicle. I had to play two dealerships against each other to get the price I paid. It took one week.
    You got a nice deal.

Can you tell us what tires are on it, and is it FWD ?
    The Lexus RX 350 is AWD. The tires are 19" Dunlap Grandtrex Touring A/S
    Thx. I'm just curious what brands they are showing up with around the West and SW.
  • lexusrx350newlexusrx350new Member Posts: 18
    edited August 2012
    When I purchased my new 2013 lexus rx 350 a few weeks back, I included the michelin tires in the deal instead of the stock bridgestone tires. The dealer said he is not familiar with this type of request and now, I see you are like me! The dealer gave me the michelins when taking delivery of the car and mentioned that michelins come only in the nav cars. Non-navs come with bridgestone or other brands. Bridgestones and michelins cost almost the same but i know that the michelin drive is going to be very different from the bridgestones and so insisted on it.
    I didnt even think to negotiate a tire change when I bought my RX 350 AWD. I wish I had requested to change the Dunlap tires for Michelins. Oh well. When the Dunlaps wear out, I might replace with Michelin tires.
    I told them flat out that if i dont get the michelins although my car is non-nav, I am not buying the car. if i dont get the tire and wheel protection package free, i am not buying the car. the first thing that i checked when i went for delivery is michelins and then the tire and wheel protection on the papers.
    My 2013 RX 350 was NAV vehicle. It still came with crappy Dunlop tires. IMHO, the Michelin tires are worth every one of $400 dollars over those Dunlops. I got the Michelin tires at NO ADDITIONAL COST so why not demand the swap? Instead, the Dunlop tires make any deal at least $400 different if one must get the Dunlop tires (in my opinion anyway).

That said, with AWD I would consider an additional $400 as compensation in any deal for getting Dunlop tires. On a FWD Lexus the Dunlop tires are unacceptable at any price (at least here in Florida where wet traction means life or death on the road). DO NOT ACCEPT DUNLOP TIRES ON A FWD RX 350.
    edited August 2012
    Make sure that someone checked the alignment and balancing after they swapped the tires. It wont be noticeable in the beginning but over time, you will realize that your tires are wearing unevenly and/or vibrating and by that time, its too late. I got mine checked after the tire swap and found an issue that needs to be corrected with the alignment/balancing. Its a trade off i guess, good tires but not factory aligned OR factory aligned but bad tires... lol.. There are a few internet posts that suggest that the bridgestones are better than the latitudes but tirerack still shows the michelins at 7.6 rating vs the bridgestones at 5.1 rating. Some posts suggest that the pilots are better than the latitudes and that the latitudes are junk and so, its all subjective. Cost of michelins and bridgestones is the same.

Do you have a light color interior like parchment or a dark interior like black? Reason for my question is how can i maintain my parchment interior like new without stains. Its so easy to get stains on this light color.
    edited August 2012
    Tires:

Also, there is no manufacture's tread wear warranty at all on the Dunlop Grand Trek Touring A/S.

What is wrong with Lexus, putting a Tire with no warranty on a $45-50000.00 luxury car ???

The Michellin Lattitude and Pilot have a 55000 or 50000 mile warranty.

Bridgestone has a warranty, but not sure what.
    edited August 2012
    I've gotten new tires on wheels before on cars after purchase. An alignment is usually unnecessary if all you do is change out the wheels/tires. A wheel balance may be indicated but not always.

A wheel balance costs about $30-40 at your local tire shop. If you need a wheel balance then the cost of this service ($40) is far less than the cost of a Michelin tire upgrade from the Dunlop tires.

My new Michelin tires run smoothly on my RX 350 but I will keep an eye out if they need a balance at 5,000 miles. This simple item can be performed during the first tire roatation.

I would not let the small possibility of a $75 alignment (not likely when swapping out identical wheels and sized tires) or a $40 Wheel balance (more likely) prevent you from requesting Michelin tires on your brand new RX 350.
    edited August 2012
    For others perhaps just joining this thread, that I think Valueguy started:

If you go to TireRack.com, and bring up the Dunlop GrandTouring A/S 235/55r/19
    and read the numerous reviews there, you will see a majority needing to replace at around 22000-25000, and most claim they do the rotations and recommended care. And there is no adjustment for those folks, since NO warranty on wear, by Dunlop.

Lots of variables of course on how each drives a car, understood, but, for Dunlop to have NO warranty (mileage) tread, I think we can see what's going on there.

And, that tire(Dunlop) is listed at $195 each, installed, in the SW here, by Discount Tire. Hard to believe.

Why is Lexus putting a bunch of those on 2010- 2013 Rx 's ? Expense deal no doubt.
    edited August 2012
    Agreed, in your case specifically, cant go with dunlops as the drive will not be close to a michelin smooth drive in my opinion. Alignment and balancing factors should not affect getting michelins particularly if you are getting no warranty dunlops. I would not have bought my rx if the dealer was not willing to swap the stock bridgestones with michelins although the bridgestones are better than dunlops and come with warranty. The alignment issue if any, is ok compared to not getting michelins.
    edited August 2012
    I couldn't believe it either, as I don't think I've heard of a name brand tire, with Zero warranty on tread wear.

I specifically called Discount Tire, the Real Manager, whose has been here 15 years, and asked if that was true, and he did indeed confirm it to be true. So, I then called Costco, and asked the same question and also got the same answer. Both places said Lexus went with that tire because it was supposed to be extra quiet...even though no tread warranty . I don't buy that, or else they would put all their cars with it... ? I don't think so. They knew it had no warranty, but threw in on a few to keep the complaints down. It's probably a very soft tire..thus wears easily ?

And, there is the buyer who replaces his car every two years, or one year leases, etc. No complaints there as those folks turn the car in and walk away. And folks who don't drive much, like we have here in my city.

By the way, when checking with the tire places, I did state, Dunlop GrandTrek Touring A/S 19 inch, 235/55R/19 . I can't speak for their 18 version on the Lexus RX 2010-2013 350/FWD or AWD as I didn't ask on that one.

By the way, both places as well as Tire Rack, confirmed. Lexus shows these at all three places, as replacement tires, as well as the Michelins, Lattitudes, Pilots, and Bridgestones.

Note:

It's important to know here, for those that do have the Dunlops, that there is NO known safety issue here at all.

None of the reviews had any remarks about blowouts, or other safety issues. This is just about a non- warranty on tread wear on these tires. And the fact, Lexus put a cheaper brand tire on a very popular Luxury car in their line when there were other better brands with warranties available to them for all their cars.
  • tonycatonyca Member Posts: 12
    Hello All:

I got an offer for RX350 FWD with PD FT 3T WU NV HS PA plus ZI Accessory. MSRP is $48,494 and their offer is $43,756 plus TTL, so the discount is $4,738. I know overland you got MSRP $47,974 one for $42,783 ($46,357 with TTL) with discount $5,191.

How do you guys think about this offer and how much room can I negotiate?

Thanks.
  • sam4unc1sam4unc1 Member Posts: 4
    I have an offer of 43,300 for a 2013 awd Lexus display audio pkg, heated an ventilated seats,intuitive parking assist,premium pkg,cargo mat cargo net and wheel locks MSRP 46,430 is this a good deal?
    1. You guys are getting great deals on these RX350s. It was like pulling teeth getting $3500-$4000 off a $49,000 MSRP RX 350. Anyone getting $4500-$5200 off is a superstar and should be buying my next car.

2. My 2010 RX 350 with Michelin Tires that had over 50,000 miles on them drove better in the sun and the rain than the brand new Dunlop tires. When we swapped them out for new Michelin tires even my wife noticed the difference immediately.

3. Please notice how helpful our real world info/cost is compared to TruCar or Edmunds. We now know TruCar isn't a reliable site any longer for invoice.
    Dealers have solved this problem by having 2 invoice price lists. One for the public and one one where Manufacturers directly rebate the dealer for each car sold (not listed anywhere, secret info).
    1. I am still checking with the dealer what brand tire for this offer, though in Southern CA it may be not a big problem. But I still prefer Michelin since it carries a warranty. I will figure all those out and then head for my new car. I am thinking of squeezing $5,000. Currently it is $4,500 discount and I still need to play the game with them a little.

2. Yes you are right what TrueCar calls a great price is no longer a great price. Better you come to this bulltin and find out something from other buyers.

3. I also tried to use Costco program but it sucks. The dealer called me and said I have to go to their store and they won't offer a price if I don't go there. If the price is only valid if I take it immediately and is not valid if I step out of the dealership.
    Have you seen this particular car or is this all on the phone ?

Do you have the vin number from the Dealer ?
    Not yet. I don't want to go there before it comes close to what it should be. But they did send me something similar to window sticker.
    Sounds like a great deal to me. I bought my Lexus RX 350 AWD two weeks ago and the sticker price was 49,300 and I got it for 45,000. It has the same options you listed except it doesnt have the remote start.
    edited August 2012
    Tonyca:

A few questions-

Do they have the actual car you want there in the dealership(s) ? Or are they saying we'll find it for you ?

Ask them to fax you a copy of the real entire window sticker. They have a duplicate Factory copy in the office,. Make sure it has the wheels (Size & Style) you want as well as all the other stuff you want.

Keep in mind, always, your and their very best and bottom deal will be at the dealership when you are ready right then to write the check. You'll never get their best deal on the phone, as they know you are still price shopping. Know your number, and all equipment on the actual vin number car, and go and make your final offer with that check book out.

So, what should it be for you to buy it ? Do you know yet ? And if so, are YOU ready to commit if you get your price at the Dealership ?
    Hi nazzy100,

Thank you for your suggestion. Yes I did get the copy of that window sticker with vin. They told me it is on the way to this store, not from other dealership. And it will be before the end of this month.

Yes you are right they won't offer the best until I show up. I am ready to buy it since I still like the 1.9% rate which will last to 09/04. So I am in touch with them and will go to the store when this car arrives for a face-to-face negotiation.

By looking at this forum, it seems the best deal is at about $5,191 discount for a MSRP$47.974 one. My expectation is to get something similar or better since my one is MSRP $48,494.00. I think there is still some room.
    edited August 2012
    I think there is a lot of room for negotiation. I am assuming the above number is without TTL.
    edited August 2012
    Did you consider a tire and wheel protection package and if yes, is it worth it? Some people are saying it is very essential and some are saying its a waste of money. It looks like the package will cover any curb/road damages.
    I do like to get Michelin instead of Dunlop, but I don't think extra protection is necessary. Of course I am in Southern CA so we don't have storm and snow. Where are you guy? I think if there is really something happen, you can always get the road assistantce from AAA.
    lexusrx350new,

how much do you think for further discount?

I tried to negotiate a Michelin but they said they would only sell as it is for that they will get.
    edited August 2012
    You should target 40.5K or 41k approx without TTL for the msrp you quoted. Ask the dealer to identify one for you with michelins. I think dealers trade with other dealers to meet customers needs.
    I am in the east coast tristate area. I think i am a safe driver and so should not need that package but already got it.
  • dealornotdealornot Member Posts: 8
    2013, fwd, MSRP 48,660. I offered 43,160 and they are taking it. Is this a good deal? $5500 off MSRP?
    lexusrx350new:

40.5K or 41K without TTL for MSRP48,494? Wow, it seems I have to make more effort. That is 7.5K-8K discount. I only got 4.7K discount now. The best here I saw is overland's deal, 42,783 for MSRP47,974, at 5.2K discount.

Could you pls list your package, MSRP and how much you paid?
    dealornot,

what I got is what they offered. I haven't told me my number. But at least your discount of $5.5K is better than mine, also better than "overland" who got 5.2K discount for MSRP47,974 one.

Could you pls list your package and the dealer name? Just wonder if it is in Southern CA.
    edited August 2012
    The original post had a msrp of 46430 and my response was based on that msrp. Your msrp is higher and not sure what you have extra. 46430 comes with 2013 awd, premium package, heated and ventilated seats, wood steering, pref accessories package, parking intuitive assist, display audio package(not mark levinson package), cargo net
    MSRP 48,660... perm pkg, comfort, nav, 19" wheels, park assist, towing prep, trimmed steering wheel, cargo mat package. I offered 43,160. They took like 4 hours to call me back, and I guess they could try and change the deal when I get there, but I want to stick to this if it seems like the best deal. Also, it's built in Canada. Dealer in Texas.
    Waiting for your update. Good luck!
    edited August 2012
    $5500 off MSRP of $48,600 is FANTASTIC deal. Don't be discouraged by anyone here. $5500 off a 2013 is an awesome deal- take it.

I doubt anyone but the BEST hagglers get that much of a discount.

I asked for $5,500 off MSRP and not a single dealer took my all cash offer (6 dealers). So, as we get near the end of the month $5500 off $48,600 is pretty sweet for you (not so much for the dealer).

A more relaistic discount is $4500 or so off $48,600 so you are kicking [non-permissible content removed] at $5500.
    Before I left my house today, I asked the dealer to email me the quote. He back peddled. I bought the car MSRP $48660, before TT&L for $44,660. So $4000 off not $5500, but I called all around and one dealership in Dallas would match the $4000, but I could not do better. I don't think I got a great deal, but it's below invoice, so probably not too bad. I did not have a trade in. Good luck to everyone and thanks to everyone for all the advice on this forum!!! I am sure I did much better with your advice. I bought my last car with costco, and they tried to offer me the costco deal at $1000 over invoice. Invoice was around $45,440. First they offered me 46,600 then $1000 over invoice, then $600 over invoice and finally I got $44,660 with 2.25 financing.. credit score 690 so I could not get the 1.99%.
    46,430.. you can probably get to 42,630 or 42,430. Just offer 42K and see if they bite and meet you in the middle at least.
    edited August 2012
    $4,000 off MSRP of $46,400 is a solid deal. Most dealerships are reluctant to give more than $4K off a 2013 RX 350. It took me days of haggling to get to that number; in the end I got a good deal at $4500 off but I needed to use 6 dealerships and hours of my time to get to that number. Not a single dealer would go to $5K off a 2013 at this time. Those of you getting $5200 off or more on a 2013 RX 350 are simple getting a fantastic deal as this 2013 model is new.

Anyway, if most of you end up with "just" $4K off the MSRP that is still better than 90% plus of 2013 RX buyers at this time. Congrats on your new SUV.
  • winglcoudswinglcouds Member Posts: 7
    i agree i got mine 2013 rx AWD 350 on end of july msrp was 46430 call about 6 dealer in my area in NJ there are only two that will give the price for 42,000.