Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Lexus RX 350 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• nazzy100nazzy100 Member Posts: 82
    edited October 2012
    Beware: Some states are require that seller dealer to charge you that's state's sales tax, by law............so... you will get hit again when you register in your state.

The only way to avoid that, is to transport your new car to your state, where you will register, and pay sales tax there.

Check the laws of your particular state BEFORE you purchase.
  • thunguyenthunguyen Member Posts: 9
    I dealt with 2 dealers in San Jose and Fremont (CA), and I they offer over phone $5K <MRSP. I bought one for $42K (MSRP $47.05K).
    What I'm saying if you add more options,there are more rooms for negotiation.
    So I suggest $6K is a starting point because MSRP $49K.
  • Sewell Lexus in Dallas says they are the largest in the US. They're about a block from Love Field if you fly Southwest Airlines. I live in Houston and bought an 2013 RX at Sewell two weeks ago. Great experience and a great price. Good Luck!
  • premtpremt Member Posts: 1
    Hello, which dealer did you get this deal from? This was a brand new 2013, and not a certified pre-owned, correct?
  • msymanmsyman Member Posts: 25
    Who did you deal with at Sewell? Thanks.
  • The salesman's name was Daniel. (Edmunds doesn't want anyone to post last names). See my review on Google. Tell Daniel I recommended him. Good luck, John
    I apologize if this is a stupid question, but how do I find your review on Google? They all show "Google User". When was it posted? Thanks.
  • lexilou1lexilou1 Member Posts: 2
    Northern California Dealership - Lease

27 Months
    10k Per Year
    $48,109 MSRP
    $1,000 drive off (cash)
    $1,000 loyalty (second RX in 18 months)
    $510/mo

Good Deal?
  • Not a dumb question. I've fixed it. It should now be the most recent post, if you google "Sewell Lexus", then click on the map at the right. That should pull up all of the reviews.
  • chromehoundschromehounds Member Posts: 5
    Never bought a Lexus always have been a Toyota buyer, anyway, here's what I'm dealing with.

2013 RX350 FWD
    Package Options:(FT, 3T, WU, NV, HS, PA)
    RX350FWD base price: $39,310
    Package Options: $5,274
    Destination Charge: $895
    MSRP Price: $45,479

Realistically speaking can I ask for a $6k off MSRP price? I want to set a price but wanting to be realistic also. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    I found a 2013 RX350 with 2900 miles. Ad says it's loaded w/ nav meaning it should have stickered for around $49k. Dealer is asking $43,900 which is just under what one could expect to buy a new for according to the most recent posts. If brand new ones are going for 10% off MSRP, ($44-$45k) what would be a reasonable price for this one with 3k miles? Can one expect to save enough to make it worthwhile to buy this one? Thanks for your input.
  • swamybswamyb Member Posts: 38
    edited October 2012
    From Magnussens's lexus, Fremont, CA. Matador red, with black interior with only 18k miles. Paid 35.7k + tax + fees. Drives like new car and we are very happy. It is built in Japan, (I don't know if that is good). I really wanted to buy a brand new one with HUD, Parking assist, and blind spot monitor. But decided against it and save that money for kitchen remodeling :-).
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    Folks,,,,, Here is my 2 cents on New Car Buying. Been buying online or by phone for over 30 yrs.. Always shoot for Invoice price then minus the dealer holdback or try to get most of it back. Then Minus any Incentives on top of that price. If your a good negotiator add the Doc fee's into the below price. Or try to get them reduced or Taken off. Once you have your below Invoice pricing Email or call about 20 Dealers only Internet managers in your area . You will get the best price buying this way. If any one of the internet mangers cant give you a price while on the phone i suggest 2 things ..1- make him give you his best price before you end your conversation with him...2- Any dealership that you feel are not sellers or wasting your time say good-bye and x them off your list .. this is a fast and simply process. Sometimes out of state may be your best buy. Thats your decision if you dont mind the travel.. Its fast and simply. Weeds out all the bad dealerships. Supply and Demand always play a big part into the game .......Good luck

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• srizvi1srizvi1 Member Posts: 263
    edited October 2012
    In the market for an SUV, preferably a compact one. Right now the Acura RDX is the front runner but since I currently have a Lexus (the 2008 IS 350) and have been happy with it, I'd like to consider the Lexus again. Sadly there is no compact SUV from Lexus, but the RX 350 size is at least at the upper limit of what I would consider - a car like the MDX I wouldn't.

I've gone to one of the local Lexus dealers here in the DC area twice. The first time was to drive the RX and the RX F-Sport. I didn't even know about the RX F-Sport but after I saw it and drove it, I really felt that was the preferred car of the two. The salesman told me then that most of the RX F-Sports on their lot will come with everything (like Navi). The only extra thing to really choose would be Blind Spot indicator at an extra $500.

He said I'd be at $51k-ish for it. For the Non-F-sport equipped the same, I'd be at $49k-ish. When we talked price, we were looking at $50k + $3500 in fees (that's the way they divided it up on the paper.)

Looking at Truecar.com, I'm not sure what the exact likely models on their lot they had, but I know that the 2013 Lexus RX 350 AWD 4dr F Sport configured with:

NAVIGATION PACKAGE at $2,775 (which includes the LEXUS DISPLAY AUDIO PACKAGE at $860)
    INTUITIVE PARKING ASSIST at $500
    BLIND SPOT MONITOR at $500

would put me at:

$47,000 + $3,775 in options + $895 destination = $51,670 before the Tax, Tags/License

TrueCar's average paid pricing has:
    $44,736 (base) + $3,359 (options) + $705 (Regional Ad Fees) + $895 Destination = $49,696

TrueCar is saying that my Target price should be $50,411, giving me a Potential Savings of $1,259

I'm liking what I'm seeing here about $6k off MSRP being what to shoot for, but I don't know if I could aim for that much off on the F-Sport since that's a bit higher in demand? Perhaps on a Non F-Sport RX.

Is there anyone else considering the 2013 Lexus RX F-Sport?

I'm heading back there again to see what they would give for a trade-in for my IS 350. And to see how much lower I can push the price. I'd like a number to push towards that's unreachable on their end so I can easily walk. I want to see how low they can go but don't want to commit to anything today. I still want to visit Acura one more time with my trade-in as well (I talk about Acura pricing here if anyone is interested).

I know the RDX is cheaper and RX is the better car, but I only want to commit to the RX if the price window between the two is at a certain point. OTherwise, I'll go with the RDX.
  • saz25saz25 Member Posts: 152
    Hi
    I, too, considered Acura when I purchased my new RX350. I love it.

My suggestion is to call several dealers and tell them that whoever meets your price that you'll buy from them.

I'd be firm as to your price. Take 10% off the total MSRP. Don't back down and also say No Doc fee.

You can also ask the sales rep to check the inventory of other nearby dealers.

From my experience and what I've heard is that you can always get below invoice. For a $50,000+ RX, you should be able to get it for 10% off.

Steve
  • kukla56kukla56 Member Posts: 6
    I am in the market for a 2013 RX350. I am ready to make an offer to an internet manager for an end of October purchase, but I am wondering if I should wait a few more weeks to see if the December to Remember offers would get me a better deal. Does anyone have an opinion? What is typically offered with the December to Remember sales? The dealership seems to be hungry for an October deal.. Bear in mind, I am purchasing, not leasing. Thanks!
    Try making a low ball offer such as 15% off MSRP. Tell them if they meet your offer that you'll buy now, otherwise you'll come back in Dec.

Make sure you put yourself in the controlling position. Make your offer to them, not vise versa.

Good luck.
    Steve
  • nazzy100nazzy100 Member Posts: 82
    edited October 2012
    I vote to work the manager very hard, then when you have a decent price..wait if you can until that December event, remember the price he offered now, and demand the discounts offered then/or coupons if any. Remember, the internet manager will not give his final price, on line, as you must come in for that, and work for more off. He knows you are shopping with other dealers on line.

Usually the December event ,as well as other NATIONAL events which is sponsored by the Lexus Factory, means they are making a incentive to the dealers, so that they can offer you a lower price, as they get extra money from the factory.

If you need the car sooner, then as other said he..go with his ideas now.

Good luck and let us know how it works out ?
  • slmdslmd Member Posts: 6
    Picked up my 2013 Rx 350 over the weekend in DC area. FWD, Premium Package, Lexus Display, Heated Front Seats, Wood & Leather Trim, Cargo Net, etc MSRP $44.5K (including delivery). Paid $38.1K plus tax and tags. No trade-in. Lexus Financing is running a 1K incentive for current Lexus owners. So that helped.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,570
    Your personal security is important to us, so please do not post your email address in a message.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• dave2001autodave2001auto Member Posts: 20
    $6k off is reasonable. Dealer in SoCal gave $5200 over the phone. Some dealer in the boonies will give more off to if they didn't met their quota.
  • jaymkjaymk Member Posts: 86
    Congrats on Your new car,
    That is a fantastic price.
    What are the interest rate they are offering.
    Thank You.
  • jaymkjaymk Member Posts: 86
    Ok, found it.
    They are offering 1.9% for upto 60 months, plus $1000 loyalty discount if financed or leased from lexus.
    Thank You.
  • blueseebluesee Member Posts: 1
    would you mind telling us the name of the dealer and salesman?
    thanks.
  • googled88googled88 Member Posts: 4
    To the person w the awesome deal on the 2013 RX350 FWD in DC area (MSRP 44.5, paid 38.1 +TT/Etc), can you clarify dealer name or city/state, first name or nick name of salesman, any hints for those of us in the area that want to replicate a similar deal, thanks in advance! Was it New New (how many miles?) Such a great deal I'm drooling... best anyone can do for me in NoVa was around 5%-6% off MSRP, this is trying internet contacts on a specific in-stock 2013 RX350....
    Regarding the person who got 5-6%, did the sales rep give you that quote or did you ask for a specific price?

It's best to not ask the sales rep for a quote. You quote a price to them so that you are in control.

That way you can get 10% or more by forcing the manager to enter the picture .
    Steve
    It was brand new 2013 (12 miles on it :) ). I bought it from Lexus of Silver Spring (I also bought my other Lexus there six years ago). The sales rep was Ana. I reached out to four dealerships in MD and NoVA through Edmunds or directly from dealer website. The other three either was not competitive at all or wouldn't provide a price without me going there in person. I told all salespersons that I would only visit AFTER we settled on price. I tried two different tactics (ask dealer for best offer or start with my own offer price). I started with Lexus of Silver Spring offering my own price ($39k). After negotiating it to $39.1 plus tax/tags, I brought up the $1k LFS loyalty incentive which Ana quickly agreed to pass it on to me.

Hope this helps and good luck.
    Forgot to mention: It helped that I negotiated the deal on the last Saturday in October. When we visited Lexus of Silver Spring the next day to pick up the car, the showroom was essentially empty. Sandy scared most people away from buying new cars.
  • ohrhodyohrhody Member Posts: 6
    I've been looking for a new SUV and pretty much decided the RX350 is my next new ride. I've requested some Internet quotes and even taken a couple of test drives. So far, one dealer has told me he can take $1k off the MSRP, so I walked out. I've used the TMV and some guessing on hold back money to come up with a target price, but have not thrown a number out to any of the dealers in my area.

The stories I am reading here on this forum almost seem too good to be true ($6k below MSRP, etc). How the heck do they drop the price that far? What am I missing?

BTW - I am not trading in my old SUV, I have a family member buying it.

Thanks for any insight.
    Hi
    The mistake you've been making is when you ask the sales rep for a quote. Give them your price which should be a specific number which should be approx. 11% off MSRP.

Once you do that the sales rep will bring the manager into the discussion.
    Don't tell them how you arrived at that price except to say that you will buy today if they meet your price.

Also say no to Documentation fees.

Do the negotiation on the phone.

It's best to do this on the last week of the month.

Good luck
    Steve
    Steve,

Thanks for the advice, makes good sense. Interested in why to say no to the documentation fees, they're peanuts in comparison to the rest of the deal.

Just to be clear, I didn't ask the one salesman for the price when I visited the showroom, he just threw the $1k off at me as we were wrapping up and that's when I headed for the door.

WES
  • ramkumarramkumar Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    I am looking for a fully loaded RX 350 lease (3 years, 12K miles/yr) in NJ. I have always been a cash buyer but looking to do a lease so I can get a new car every 3 years :-). I really can't visit multiple dealers due to time constraints.

I have an existing Lexus so should be able to get loyalty discounts etc.

Any idea, what could be a bottom line price which I can offer to the dealers? One vehicle I liked had MSRP of $51925.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated for a first time lease buyer so I can avoid costly mistakes.

rk
    Wes
    I've seen documentation fees as high as $500 and $600. I fight for every dime.
    I even balked at a $29 charge (on a $50,000 car) for Massachusetts license plate fee. I didn't need to pay that since I live in NH. After insisting they remove it, they did so.

Good luck, hope it helps.
    Steve
  • maxim135maxim135 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for a 2013 Lexus RX350. I called 6-7 dealers in the Southern California and none of them agreed to give me more than $3.5K off MSRP. (excluding loyalty rebates) I appreciate if you mention the dealer gave you $5200 over the phone.
    My suggestion: call back the same dealers during the last few days of the month. They always have more incentive to deal when they are close to making their quota.
    Steve
  • googled88googled88 Member Posts: 4
    re: getting the 5-6% off MSRP, I gave the rep a specific price kinda on low ball around 10% as suggested, and s/he was like no, too low, will never happen here, so they counter w/ a higher price, and I said meet in middle, and they came down a bit, but offer was not in middle but was max about 6% off MSRP. It was my local dealer, they're the only dealer around 150-200 miles so kinda elitist about their price/service. I'm like OK, I'll go outside next state over and see if we can do better. S/he said fine if you want the hassle of traveling that far out to save 500-1K, (heck yeah) so we departed. So using some info from here and my initial interaction, I'm around 7-8% off MSRP now at another dealer, so we are making some progress. Will make them sweat it out until end of this month or even end of next month, I'm in no hurry to make a purchase quite yet.... But thanks to the poster who provided specific dealer info in DC area, will definitely pursue that as it is a stone's throw from some family/friends in the area.
    Great. I did a similar thing. When I bought mine, the best price I got was from a dealer that's over 60 miles away. At that point it was a savings of $750 compared to my local, 10 miles away, dealer.

I felt it was worth the 60 miles (120 round trip) to save $750. I still intend to have it serviced at my local dealer.

I'm surprised your dealer felt it was a "hassle" to save $1000 with a 150-200 mile drive. It makes perfect sense to me.

So you discovered that when the dealer feels they are not competing with other dealers, they can charge what they want. Its like a mini-monopoly.

At the end of the month you have lots of leverage.

Also, make sure the sales rep is forced to have the sales manager or general manager enter the negotiation. Typically as sales rep can go as low to a certain point, below which they need to escalate the process. I never buy a car without forcing management to get involved. Why would anyone do otherwise?

Good luck.
    Steve
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited November 2012
    googleed 88..... Every month you wait til next year 2013 you will see pricing get lower each month. Time is on your side. Play the game. Pit one dealer against the next one. On dec, 29th call the dealer that is by your house and tell him your at 15% below msrp and you have no problem driving 3 hours each way to say the difference in money. Gotta b.s. these guys sometimes.. Tell closest Dealer your going next month meaning in Jan, 2013 to buy car out of state or a other dealership to think about it. Then hang up and let them think real hard about losing a quick sale to you. Time is on your side... Find the next nearest dealer by you and mention there name and say there at 13% under.. meet it,,, beat it ..... i buy right now tell them. Play the game.. Time is on your side.. Hey if you want to give me $1500 for a days work I'll drive your new lexus here from New York and deliver it to you ..... I'll get you that 15% off.... LOL.......................Good luck .......... Brian

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

Well, so far, working 4 different dealerships, we're half-way to that 11% off MSRP. Playing it cool for now and waiting to see what month-end brings. Never let 'em think you are anxious to buy is my philosophy.

Steve - the doc fees in Ohio are much less, we paid $250 for wife's G37x in '09. But I like that idea of telling them to pay it.

Thanks for the help!

WES
    Glad you are making progress,

As for doc fees they are dealer specific. Each dealer decides what they want to charge.

In South Florida I've seen them as low as $395 and as high as $795. In Mass, they seem to be less; $300-$500. In NH I've seen them no higher than $400.

In all cases you can negotiate them; most often they can reduce the price of the car somewhat, but it's work on your part. They whine about the cost of the paperwork, but shouldn't that be included in the price as the cost of doing business. They don't charge you a fee for electricity, employee health ins, lawn care, bldg maintenance, etc. Its a crock...

Good luck.
    Steve
    On a $51,925 RX350 F Sport, I got a quote of $47,995. Presumably that's not their bottom line price.
    Determine the invoice price (incl. dest. charge) then subtract 3% of the MSRP. Then subtract about $1000 more. What do you arrive at?
    Steve
    I'm not sure which options are on the vehicle, but the invoice I came up with was $48,461 which should be pretty close. 3% of the MSRP is $1557. Deducting a further $1,000, yields $45,903. Is that what I should be offering? It is just under 12% off. What is the basis for that calculation? 11% off MSRP ($51,925) is $46,213 which is what I thought I should be the target offer price.
    There is no exact calculation. When I bought mine at the end of Aug, I paid approx. 11.5% off MSRP. From what I've seen on this forum plus my experience, anything around 11-12% off MSRP is the best you can probably do.

The end of month is the best time and provides the most leverage on the buyers part.

I also like to use round numbers. Also, say no to documentation fees. For your model I'd offer $46,000. Maybe go to up to $46,400 if forced, but not higher. If they balk tell them you will call other dealers.

Of course then you add state sales tax and license plate fees, but no dealer documentation fees.
    Good luck.
    Steve
    One more thing, the 3% refers to the dealer holdback. The other $1000 is the approx. manufact/dealer incentives. Subtracting those from invoice gives you what I usually offer, which by coincidence is approx. 11% off.
    Steve
    One further question. I am also looking at one with 1500 miles on it. Wondered if I can save by buying one with low miles. Dealer is asking $44,900 which is likely around what I could buy a new one for. What would you offer for one with low miles? What factor would you deduct for the fact it is used albeit with low miles. If I can't save a few thousand buying one with low miles, then I might as well buy brand new.
    Boy, maybe I am dreaming this but I thought I saw somewhere there was a manufacturer/dealer incentive of $2,400. Holdback for Lexus is 2% per Edmunds, is it really 3%? I've had one dealer told me that Lexus is eliminating the holdback in Feb 2013 but I'm not buying that b.s.

Thanks
    WES
    Yes you are right. I made a mistake as I was thinking of another make. The Lexus holdback is 2% of the base MSRP.

As for eliminating holdback don't believe anything a sales rep says. That's a strict rule.

Another rule is not to disclose how you arrived at your quote. It just puts you on the defensive. Don't even discuss holdback, invoice, etc.

I just tell them that in order to earn my business this is my price.

Steve
  • lexus2013lexus2013 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    Just bought Lexus AWD, RX350 @Steven Creek for 41.5K (MSRP: 47.1K, Invoice:44.4K). Edward H. (Cal Alumni) is a nice guy. Edward is very patient to go over the Lexus features with my 70+ years old dad.

I almost left this dealership(@Steven Creek) when I had bad experience with ANOTHER sale person. This person made me feel &#147;very stupid&#148; when I mentioned the internet price. Her/His sharp tone humiliated and forced me to agree with her/his number. I felt so degraded. I would not deal with her/him again. This sale person might have had a bad Thanksgivings weekend. BUT I forgive her/him!!

If you want to get a good deal, contact Edward H.

Brian C., Finance manager is a nice guy. He gave me a good deal for extended warranty 8yrs/100K for $1900.

I will give Lexus@Steven Creek a good review after all.
  • srizvi1srizvi1 Member Posts: 263
    Wow, assuming this is a brand new 2013 Lexus RX350 AWD, that's a pretty nice discount you got off MSRP there. If my math is right, that's $5,600/11-12% off MSRP in savings.

I posted back in late october that I was eying the RDX, RX, and X3. For the RX, I was really interested in the 2013 RX F-Sport, but that didn't work out (I'll give details in a later post).

The 2013 Lexus RX 350 I'm now eying is a non-F-Sport. the details on it are:
    $40,710 for the model MSRP
    + $7,960 for the optional equipment (Comfort Pkg, 12 speaker premium audio package, navigation system, park assist, premium package w/ blind spot monitor, wood & leather steering and shift, and cargo mat, net, wheel locks, and key gloves)
    + $895 Delivery
    = $49,565 total MSRP

If I could do 10-12% off that, I'd be at around $44,500. If they gave me the $1k off because of my 2008 IS 350 purchase, I should be getting $1k off putting me at $43,500.

Then I would have to add on these fees for MD which are:

1) Tax: 6%; however I do have a trade in valued somewhere between $16.5k and $18k which should lower that tax amount
    2) Tags/License Plates: a $100 to a few hundred (I think, can't remember)
    3) Dealer processing fee: $200

So this is the picture I believe I'm looking at if I go the RX route. Looking to see from you guys if people are getting better.

All that being said, I think the RDX is the lead contender for me. The best prices I'm seeing others get for the 2013 RDX AWD w/ Tech Package seem to be $36,500-$37, 250 before the fees (Processing, Sale Tax, License Plate, and whatever else the state may have. For example VA has a Purchaser's Online System Filing Fee and Dealer Business License Tax but I haven't seen that mentioned in any of my MD discussions). That's up to a $7k price diff.