Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Lexus RX 350 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• clearcorneaclearcornea Member Posts: 5
    I am trying to help my Mom buy a RX FWD in Florida. I'm in the Midwest. Here's the current offer:
    RX 350 FWD, no nav, luxury package with blind spot monitor
    msrp 46,415
    selling price 41,400 + 749 dealer fee = 42,149

Any thoughts on this offer? Thanks.
  • saz25saz25 Member Posts: 152
    Not a bad price but insist on no dealer fee or insist on a reduced price by that amount. Even threaten to walk,
    Steve
  • sridharssridhars Member Posts: 25
    Hi 911 seeker,

Completed my car shopping. Talked to all three dealers - Westport, Englewood & Tricounty. Westport had the best deal - about 43800 for 49195 MSRP.
    Was planning to go there and get it, but kids picked MDX so you know who wins. Got an MDX last night. Thanks for your (and others') help on this message board.
  • snowman22snowman22 Member Posts: 109
    Sure hope you like the MDX. I did not. Found it uncomfortable and in no way close to a lexus. Hard seats, road noise and quite frankly---a bad ride. Just my opinion--- glad you love it.
  • ken117ken117 Member Posts: 249
    Resistall is essentially a huge profit maker for the dealer. That is why they quickly reduced the price. Resistall is really no different than a $20 product you can buy at any auto supply shop.

The dealers attempt to justify the grossly excessive amount by the guarantee Resistall supposedly provide. Personally I have driven a car for forty years and I never had an issue with the paint. And really, would you really need more than $700 to repair any paint issue which Resistall would supposedly cover?

Dealer F&I managers have two goals. One is to process the deal. The other is to enhance dealer profit through a variety of overpriced products. These folks are actually a dealer's top sales people. Best to be skeptical about anything they say. Like all products offered in the dealer's F&I office, Resistall is best declined, IMHO.
  • nazzy100nazzy100 Member Posts: 82
    I agree with Steve....Absolutly refuse to pay that outrageous amount of Doc fee.

As Steve says have them reduce the price of the auto if they insist they 'must charge it' Take $700 off the price of the car !
  • wchewche Member Posts: 3
    I've been negotiating with some dealerships via email. I received this "I would like to offer you an All New 2013 RX350 with Navigation for a purchase price of $43,900." I do not know the MSRP on the quoted model, but does it seem like a good deal?
  • s24ws24w Member Posts: 19
    edited August 2013
    Just an update on my experience of attempting to offer 15% off on an RX 350 AWD with blind spot monitoring and premium sound pkg plus remote start in the Motor City (Metro Detroit). I gave it a shot and worked up the lease calculation using the edmunds calculator with a .0006 MF and a 58% residual. I offered 15% off for 10,000 miles, 36 month lease. (Perhaps waiting until the beginning of the month was a terrible waste of time, but due to our mortgage closing, we couldn't risk any credit inquiries at the end of the month -- wanted to protect our 811 credit score).

Anyway, the first dealer only offered me a measly $1000 + $1500 rebate off of the MSRP. He was willing to give a .0004 MF and free service and maintenance. This to me was pretty lame and pales in comparison to the other deals on here for $2,000 below invoice. After making my offer to this dealer, the sales guy basically told me that he didn't even think it was even possible to sell a vehicle at invoice price?? What a joke. Are you kidding me? I felt like I was talking to a domestic auto salesman who assumed that I was a brainless customer who had no knowledge about making car offers, incentives, hidden dealer incentives, volume incentives, etc, even though I have spent hours reading these forums.

So I took my numbers directly to the sales manager at the other dealership across town and he replied back thanking me for the offer and then seriously had the guts to link me to the National Lexus lease advertisement that shows thousands due at signing, yada yada??!! Are you kidding me? I guess I learned my lesson. Apparently, the Motor City is not the place to score a deal and / or my timing stinks, or I was foolish to offer 15% off in the first place. The fact that the Sales Manager wouldn't even come back with anything other than the National Sales Ad sums it up. He did say he would be willing to show me the numbers and hope to earn my business, but that kind of approach is not what this forum encourages (with presenting an offer to them and showing them what I want to pay).

It's just very frustrating that I tried to be bold and firm and it didn't get me anywhere. They have 9 vehicles sitting in their inventory in the color and packages I want. It's not like they only have one car left. This clearly has not been a "golden opportunity" for me in any way, shape or form. Hats off to all of you who have been fortunate to snag a deal under invoice let alone at invoice price.

Now I have to decide whether I should even bother trying to go to dealerships farther away or the next closest out of state. I have very little optimism now that I will even get invoice. The vehicle isn't even worth more than invoice. I almost wish I never read about the suggestion of offering 12-15% off MSRP because that's entirely a fat chance in the Motor City.
    Snowman22, what was your MSRP and then your resulting Cap Cost? I am looking at pretty much the same vehicle combo in Metro Detroit and they are very stingy.
    Sridhars, do you have any updates on your experience with arriving at a discount sales price? Please let me know. I may have to search outside of Michigan. Or wait until the end of the month.
    First off this is a factory lease. The same offer you have in Detroit. $3399 on signing- $1500 from factory. Also first payment up to $700 waived. So that's a grand total of $1899 plus the factory monthly offer of $389 waived. Sooooo that's about $1500 down money plus tax and fee's out of your pocket. You can always roll in all that or part of that money at $30 per $1,000. That's up to you. You will never do better than a factory lease---ever. That factory lease in Detroit is for 27 months at 10,000 miles per year. Opt for 12000 per year. Extra $10 bucks per month or tell them your walking to another dealer and they could through in the extra miles at no cost. Good luck. Let me know how you make out.
    Yes, I did post update two days ago.

Westport, CT dealer offered the best deal. For 49190 MSRP(AWD,Nav+premium,blind spot), their selling price offer was a little less than 43800 and that was during the last week of July. Contact the internet rep - she is very good, not pushy at all and that was her first offer - no back and forth. It may not work for you since you are in MI, but check if they can deliver and costs associated with it.
    FYI - I went back and forth between RX and MDX and chose MDX. Both are great vehicles, but kids want MDX third row seats or I would've gone with them. Good Luck!
    edited August 2013
    If we pursue an RX LEASE in Westport, CT from out of state, and we are able to negotiate a low sale price as has been mentioned on here, how do we best determine the lease figures including the tax portion and how much should I expect for delivery to MI?
    Do I use CT area quoted residual value, lease length, money factor and state tax to come up with a monthly payment calculation?
    In MI, the MF is currently .0004, lease length specials are on 36 month, not 27 and residual 58% for 10k miles on AWD.
    I would like to know how I can best obtain the total out the door figures for everything including shipping vehicle. Maybe I'll just contact internet contact like you said. Don't think I can necessarily wait until the end of the month though. I already sold my used car.
    Your giving yourself a brain drain for no reason. You can work you own numbers until your blue in the face. Go with the factory backed lease. You will not EVER get a better lease. Period. I went through the same progression as you. Finally learned my lesson. Figure all you want----- I repeat one more time---YOU WILL NEVER DO BETTER THAN A FACTORY BACKED LEASE. :confuse:
    edited August 2013
    Snowmann, are you saying that I should see the "factory backed lease" as the best case cookie cutter package of figures that is structured around fixed numbers? So, if I'm understanding things correctly, that means when I contact the internet department about the vehicle I want, they provide:

the lease term
    residual
    money factor
    amount due at signing

And with that said, I do have the freedom to seek a better sale price % off that the lease would be calculated by? I'm just trying to understand which components of the "factory backed lease" transaction should be negotiated and which ones I take as is.
    I'm gathering that sales price/net cap price and amount due at signing are negotiable?
    I want to plug the numbers in the calculator on here to find out the real monthly payment since the regional ad fine print is based on a vehicle that's only around 44k for like 389 per month.

I think the most frustrating and confusing part for people comes down to the purchase price. If a factory backed lease is a cookie cutter package why will some dealers give a great net cap cost that is 10% or so below MSRP, while other dealers convince you that only $1500 off MSRP is a "golden opportunity" and you should be lucky if you even get an RX before they are gone?

I really appreciate all of your info, feedback and patience. Forgive me if I haven't fully caught on yet to this whole process.
    Everything on a factory backed lease is fixed. Period. The monthly is based on the msrp and value of the vehicle at lease term. "Residual" .Go ahead do your best math with all the figures people throw around on line. Your monthly will be horrific. The deal right now on that RX is pretty darn good for this time of year. Can you do better the longer you wait---could be Dec. to remember could be better but then you waited four months longer and the cost factor drops some. Remember this vehicle is the Lexus brand best seller. They don't have to offer any deals to sell this beauty--and a beauty she is. So go with the current lease--pay your tax and fee's and enjoy what you truly want--with no headache. :shades:
    Let me add one more thing. You can put more money down and lower your monthly from the current lease offer. You can also add more miles per year with a additional cost. To sell the vehicle the dealer may cut you some slack on that dollar amount. I added miles --12,000 per year. I think it cost me around $15-20 more a month. Well worth it when you compare the over miles dollar amount at the lease term.
    You imply that dealers have no reason to negotiate since the RX350 is Lexus' best seller. That may be true, not sure. But assuming that the dealer has no reason to negotiate is just plain false, totally.

I've done it. Perhaps that's because, in my area, there are 6 Lexus dealers within 50 miles. They all want to get my business. I bet if you're in a small town, far from a city, that may not be the case.

In my experience, everything is negotiable. At least it always works for me.

With all due respect, snowman22, are you a dealer?

Regards,
    Steve
    Sure they will negotiate. Just like any other dealer. What I'm saying is they can't negotiate on a factory backed lease. The msrp is a dead issue. You can put more down and lower the residual and gain a lower monthly---but in all honesty that is a foolish move on any lease. You put down zero if possible. The best deal so far is the Lexus Rx lease. $1500+first monthly. Total around $1900 off of the $3500 normal down money. Sooooo $1600 plus tax an fee's for a 27 month lease at 10,000 miles per year with a monthly of $389. That is a excellent deal for this time of year. Not to mention the great auto you will be driving. Anyway---go ahead negotiate all you want. $389 a month for a $47,000 vehicle in early August. Knock your socks off---with all do respect. :shades:
    One last thing---it is true---the RX is the best selling vehicle by Toyota's luxury division. Check it out.
  • nazzy100nazzy100 Member Posts: 82
    'Now in its third generation, the 5-passenger 2013 Lexus RX is the best-selling car for Toyota's luxury division.....'

source: KBB
    I just spotted this in your blog. Only 44k @ $389 a month.Man you gotta put your spec's on. It's a $46,800 msrp. Monthly $389. This is a vehicle with just about everything on it but Nav. Same vehicle I leased. Claret Mica with saddle tan leather. If your really interested in leasing you would jump at the offer Lexus is putting out there. I really don't think your serious. Just blowing smoke. Or your really confused about leasing a car.
    edited August 2013
    Really confused about interpreting the fine print ... can you blame me?! Thanks for clarifying that key point - it's probably the biggest piece of info I needed cleared up as you sit there shaking your head and exasperated by my utter ignorance and confusion. Bless your heart. ;)
    So, MSRP is actually the 47,000 model I want. :-)
    Time to make it happen. I just have to seek the closest dealership who is running that $389 offer, that's not local at my closest two dealerships here.
    Cheers!
    Yes it is. All Lexus dealers offer the same thing by region. Every dealer in your area would be the same. Now go get that beauty you want. Remember there are fee's that must be paid as well as tax. But those fee's would hold true with any lease. Good luck. Let us all,know how you make out.
    Snowman from Buffalo. ;)
    You should be able to bring that baby home for about $4300 total out of pocket.Tax about $1600,bank fee about $700,disposition about $350 and DMV and registration differ by region but figure $100. Add the $1600 down and drive it home for $389 per month x 27 months and 10,000 miles per year. Give them the extra $11 and ask for 12,000 per year.
    Once again good luck
    But luck should not be needed. It's their numbers. One thing to remember--- you must have a excellent credit score to qualify for tier one financing.
    edited August 2013
    For the record, I just pulled up a number of the offers for the RX in different states and the fine print is not all created equal. Not all ads are for the same lease term, MSRP, monthly payment, etc. It is worth checking out a number of different areas before deciding on the best deal, if you are willing to go out of state and want the factory lease. For example:

Metro Detroit has:
    $399 / month, 36 months, $1925 due at signing, 10K miles, MSRP $44,645. And I was told .0004 MF. and 58% Residual.

Whereas Pittsburgh, PA has:
    RX AWD $389 / month, 27 months, $3399 due at signing, 10k miles, MSRP $46,800.

Metro Detroit is not the place to find the $47k vehicle I want for the best deal, because they quoted me in the mid 500's, so I will be expanding my search to the areas with the 27 months deal. :-)
    edited August 2013
    I feel very encouraged now. Credit score (I found out a few days ago is 811!) Part of me does wonder if there's a way I could work with a local dealer to somehow mimic the 27 month factory lease special figures to get essentially the out of area deal here, because the local specials are for the 36 month & $44k FWD vehicle....not ideal for Michigan winters.
    If I have to fly one way and drive back out of state or pay delivery, it's not the end of the world. Thanks for the tip on the 12k miles. I did see you're actually paying $427 not $389 for the $47k model, so that's good to know ahead of time.
    edited August 2013
    Wait, $4300 due at signing? Holy smokes!! That sounds terrible. Tax here is not paid up front, thank goodness. I think that's NY & IL.
    Correct on both counts. I did not have time to jump into everything or try to put it together on a blog. You got the point and now on your way to what you want.yes my monthly is $427. I had a slug of a Kia to trade in and was underwater on the lease money and residual. Cost me to get out of the Kia lease.
    Good luck
    You didn't answer the question as to whether you are a dealer. You sound like you are.

My problem with lease negotiations is that it all starts at approx. the MSRP price. So for a Lexus that lists for say $50,000, are you really leasing a $50,000 asset? I say No.

If I can negotiate a purchase of a $50,000 RX for about $44,000, then why can't I start the lease discussion from the perspective of leasing a $44,000 asset?

Maybe its just me, but I always purchase the car. I feel that with leases, the consumer gets screwed. You are actually paying for a lease on a higher starting point that I feel you should.

I understand that many people only care about the monthly payment, and that's the main point with them. In my opinion that's a flawed way to buy something. You really need to look at the total dollars paid over the total months.

That's just my opinion.

Again, this group would like to know whether you are a dealer who seems to be pushing the Lexus lease program.
    Steve
    Question #1. Nope
    Who cares what the list is if the term's and monthly is a great number for you.
    You like to buy--wonderful-- gone that route and I prefer to drive a new tech vehicle every couple years. When you buy you take it on the chin worse than if you lease "depending on the lease deal you maintained". Everything is in your dealers corner--not yours. Leasing is not for everyone--- if it fit's you great---if not????
    You can negotiate anything on a lease--just not on a FACTORY lease. Sure I added miles--but-- paid extra for it. Now throw in a trade and ball game is over. Dealers now throw auction prices at you. Was KBB then Blackbook and now the low ball of them all--- auction value--that's a few K less than Blackbook and Blackbook was a rip off.your not going to win. That's another reason why I go with the factory lease. I have a better grasp of what I'm getting and believe you me I do my homework. :)
    Sounds like a dealer to me.

Have a nice day.

Steve
    Will do
  • clearcorneaclearcornea Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the feedback. My Mom ended up getting the RX. She also got the 1.9% financing. She is very happy. Not the greatest deal ever, but a solid deal. Thanks again.
  • dkrimgolddkrimgold Member Posts: 24
    All,

I am getting the following offer on a lease deal in NYC. I am flexible and am happy to go to any other state/dealer that's around if I need to but I wanted to know if this is a good deal or if I should push harder (we have plenty of competing dealers around).

RX350 AWD w/Navi, etc

MSRP: $49,915
    10K Miles/year
    27 Mo

Total monthly: $486 (INCLUDING tax)
    Driveoff: $1750 including first month and all fees. Taxes are in the monthlies.

Thanks,
    Danny
  • lexilou1lexilou1 Member Posts: 2
    I had the identical deal last year and currently pay $510. I leased from a Bay Area dealer here in CA. My drive-off was $1k but still very close to your offer. Looks good
    Grab it. But I would get it confirmed first. Does not seem right. Check your figures and qualify the dealers quote. Something is Amis. :confuse:
    Check the residual. Is it inflated?
    After doing some across the wire resolve the bottom line is your numbers do not match up in any manner. Toss in another $6,000 and your in the park. Sorry to report-- those numbers never happened.
    Danny,

Looks good. I got a similar quote for MSRP 49915 - only difference 495 p.m for 12K miles, which I thought was very good and lowest among four dealerships. Similar drive off amt...
    One more thing - your payment may be less for 36 months - if you don't mind 36 months that is...mine was
    This guy sounds like a dealer, trying to get you to pay more.
    Telling you to "toss in" another $6000.

Give me a break....
  • rosstopherrosstopher Member Posts: 8
    Hello all, checking back in regarding my previous post on a 2013 RX 350 AWD with premium package. The internet sales associate emailed be again after a month, they still do not seem to want to go below invoice ($48,295). I called the next closest dealership to me in Washington and I asked for $47,000 with auto start and the guy said 47 is $15,000 below invoice plus auto start. Northwest doesnt seem to be a good area as far as pricing.

Please share some of your thoughts. Thanks.
  • richiegrichieg Member Posts: 9
    Looking to purchase either new or certified pre owned approx. 10k miles Has anyone purchased a new or pre owned lately ? What price should I pay ? Thanks for any help
    Are you looking to buy or lease.
  • foolsidfoolsid Member Posts: 15
    I want to make sure if I am around ball park numbers. Appreciate everyone's input.

Awd,premium package with blind spot, comfort package, navigation, 19 inch alloy wheels and rest. The msrp prices is 50930. I live in Midwest. The best quote I received is 45.5k with out lease cash from CA. Another 1500 if I lease the vehicle. Since I am planning to take lease and then buy out at the end of the lease I am not worrying about other factors at this point in time. The closet price I got in Midwest is 48k. Although I have to pay 850 to ship it to my place. I am still waiting on quote from Westport CT. Please advise me.
  • rx350mnrx350mn Member Posts: 12
    I live in MN and I am in the market for new RX 350 around the same price range as yours. let me know if we can team up to get more discount. I think we might get better deal around labor day (or once 2014 models are in).
  • rx350mnrx350mn Member Posts: 12
    edited August 2013
    Hi, There is one 2010 RX 350 with 7K miles + Comfort package + premium package + leather + navigation + parking sensors etc. from a dealer, No luxury package or premium wheels. Considering the low mileage what is the fair value. Edmunds show 33.5K for clean condition and 35K for outstanding condition. But dealer shows KBB value and asking for 38K. Please advise if you can. Really appreciate your help.
    2013 with similar spec is 40k in both Milwaukee and east coast as well. Although they have 13k miles.
    If you feel comfortable we can exchange emails so that we can negotiate cars together. Let me know what you think.