Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    I know this question is asked all the time and here's another stick for the fire:

I have a '96 Discovery and it gave me plenty of trouble at first but over the last nearly four years it has been absolutely problem-free (except for the time I nearly tore the ABS sensor out by the roots). It is stone reliable and nearly impossible to break.

My wife has a '96 Ford Windstar (now known as the Deathstar) and over the last 1.5 years it has been in the shop twice for major mechanical problems involving pulling the engine and transmission. I had to take it in again Monday, and it will be ANOTHER engine/trans removal. That's three times over a 1.5 year period, for a minivan that gets simple grocery-getter tasks around town. She is a *careful* driver, never EVER takes risks, never EVER drives it hard, and I keep it well maintained. On the other hand, I beat my poor Disco to death offroad and in heavy hauling and extrication... and it has never hiccuped.

I'm considering making a planter out of the !@#%#$^ Ford and giving her my beloved Disco. Then I'm thinking about a '68 Bronco with solid axles. Mmmmmm rubbing my hands together here...

Moral of the story: Don't listen too hard to anecdotal reliability issues with Rovers. Find someone who's been there, done that, and has the t-shirt. Mine is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

I'd say "cheers" but I can't muster the enthusiasm, so it's just a smile and a wave this morning.
  • discofundiscofun Member Posts: 26
    Picked up my new '03 Disco HSE yesterday (loving it!). During the sales process, the salesman said that ACE was being dropped in future model years since it was not needed anymore and had been a maintenance issue also. Tincup, is this valid info?
  • denver8denver8 Member Posts: 42
    Now might be the time to get that Defender you always wanted!!
    Arrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Man would I love to!
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    The leaks were a mior oil leak from the rear of the motor and a coolant leak from a hose. All Land Rover products use real wood for their interior trim pieces.
    I'm not connected with product development, but even if I was I would not be able to communicate specifics on future products. I am here in an unofficial capacity and am limited in the information I can give out.
     My personal opinion on this though is that if future Discoverys are unibody based like the new Range Rover then an ACE system would not be necessary.
  • waskowasko Member Posts: 103
    All,

I've had a pretty rough time with my Goodyears on the DII. I'm at 31k and the front internals are nearly bald. I know there have been complaints about these cupping on this forum and others. Not sure if its the tire or alignment/axle issues but the goodyears seem to wear pretty quickly.

The real problem seems to be lack of reliability. I have a non-ACE (16" wheels) Disco and have suffered five flats/slow leaks with this puppy in the last couple of years. Two sidewalls, the rest punctures. I spend a lot of time in the mountains driving on sharp rocks but so do a lot of my friends and they don't seem to be having the same problem. Also, the Goodyear sidewalls seem to be pretty easily damaged.

What good is all that off-road capability if you can't keep air in the tires? :)

My '96 DI had 2 pairs of tires on it - both Michelin LTX M/S tires. The first pair lasted until about 55k. The 2nd pair were looking great when I got rid of the vehicle at 80k.

So I'd like to go back to the Michelins on the DII. Anyone have any experience with these on the DIIs?

Thanks, wasko
    Welcome back, old chum!

If you're looking for a mud/snow tire, take a long look at Nokian Hakkapeliitta 10-LTs. It's a 10-ply tire that will take pressures up to 85psi, but I run mine at 55psi with no worries.

I have ZERO cupping at two years wear, and they have a ton o' life left. They work great in the snow and ice and work pretty well in deep snot. Also I got them taller than stock and slightly wider. They rub a little at extreme angulation but they also gave me even more ground clearance.

Best regards, -Bob who is dancing around flapping his arms after riding his bike to work at 37F this morning in shorts and t-shirt
  • waskowasko Member Posts: 103
    Nanuq,

Good to see you're still active up here and that your scalded cat is still performing flawlessly.

I took a look at the Hakkapeliittas at the store and they are a very nice tire. But they may be a bit too aggressive for me around Seattle. I'm in the passes every winter, but throw on chains if it gets too knarly. And for the rest of the year, the most slush I have to worry about is if someone spills their frozen coffee in front of the many coffee shops we have around town ;)

That said, if I do decide to get a 2nd pair and rotate them during winters, etc., I think I'd definitely give the Hakks a shot.

Thx, wasko
  • gern21gern21 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to buy a used Discovery. What's the difference between the two? The Disco II's that I have found are much cheaper than the regular Discovery. Any help appreciated.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    the difference in options/std equipment between a new (2003) Disco SE vs HSE???...I notice in the ads many SE's for sale but very few, if any, HSE's, and I wonder what the extra goodies are on the HSE that "one cannot live without"...thanks..
    The HSE has self leveling rear suspension, Becker GPS navigation system, better looking wheels (in my opinion), front passenger seat is eight way adjustable (SE has six), and rear parking distance "radar."

Not too many HSE's around due to the higher anticipated demand for SE and subsequent over ordering by the dealers. If you get an SE with the Nav option, then you are only $500 below a full blown HSE so why not go for the gusto!!
  • roveratlastroveratlast Member Posts: 7
    Recently bought a 2001 SE7. At the time of purchase, the salesman told me that it would be possible to add the GPS system by pulling the current entertainment system and dropping in a new one with the GPS included. I, however, have not found any source for the GPS system and no reference to this "exchange" upgrade. Is it possible??? Also, I have SLS and occasionally tow a 19 ft. boat -- should I buy the remote?
    The original Discovery is now known as the Series I Disco and the next-generation Discovery is the Series II. They are really quite similar in many way.

Most importantly to most is the Bosch electronics and electrics in the DII (Disco Series II). The DIs have Lucas systems and many people remember British vehicles with their poor reputation for reliability largely due to Lucas. In fact a whole culture of jokes has grown up around this:

Q: Why do British drink their ale warm?
    A: Lucas also makes refrigerators.

Q: What is the only electric product made by Lucas that doesn't suck?
    A: Their vacuum cleaner.

Q: What is the name of the head of Lucas Research and Development?
    A: Lord Lucas, the Prince of Darkness.

The list goes painfully on.

Anyway, they replaced many (all?) systems with Bosch, same as on BMWs et al. The electrical reliability really is not that bad on the DI. I have a '96 DI and I use it *HARD* and it never ever EVER fails me.

Mechanically, there are other differences: The DII went with the axles from the Range Rovers of the era. Note the differentials are on the "other" side. They also have many fewer moving parts, no swivel balls, etc. The earliest DIIs still had the same central diff lock as the DIs but they didn't put a lever on it, into the cabin. So you had to crawl beneath the truck to lock the CDL. Ahem. Not so popular. Now they use Active Traction Control to sense wheel spin and pulse the brakes on the spinning wheel, to send power across the (open) differential to the wheel with traction. It's a great system.

There are tons of other acronyms attached with the DII, many of which are actually useful and well thought out systems. The DII is also a bit longer for more interior room. But that also makes the hind end stick out there where us offroaders DON'T want it, which reduces our angle of departure... it drags sooner when you drop over a ledge or rotate to climb up something steep.

The DII is a wonderful truck and if you can find one for a good price, you'll love it. If you're into serious offroading you'll love the DI more.

I'm sure there are a TON more things I didn't mention between these two. The original design was (is) a fantastic vehicle, and the vast majority of the grousing about their quality and reliability is no more than anecdotal: a guy knows someone who knows someone who might not like his Rover. That sort of thing. If you read the rest of the topics in this forum you'll see the other brands have their share of problems ... and they're typically VERY EXPENSIVE problems like transmission failures. In the "hard parts" like drivetrain and chassis and suspension you'll find a Rover is nearly unbreakable. To me, that is what matters. I can live with the odd quirk, and actually come to appreciat them as part of the truck's "flavor".

If you get down to brass tacks and want to know the history of one of these beasties, Tincup will graciously accomodate you. Work done at Rover service centers is available by VIN.

Best luck, -Bob
    Before I sold my DI I was looking into putting the GPS in there. The current Disco GPS system, Becker (made by Harmon Kardon), is available at auto electronics stores (Car Toys for example) for about $800 and is a one-for-one swap with the factory radio. The only iffy areas are antenna location and whether or not your DII has the electronic speed inputs available for the GPS system to dead recon when it drops satellites occasionally under over passes and in other areas where high structures/mountains may limit satellite visibility to less than four satellites.

I bought a new '03 with the GPS instead ;-) Just had to have that bigger engine.
  • gadiscogadisco Member Posts: 5
    Hey Tincup...would you mind checking the history on my Disco 1? VIN SALJY1241VA553267. I had a CarFax check pulled on it and it ck'ed out good for all that is worth. Also any advice on replacement shocks and Steering Dampner?
    any help would be great!

Thanks,

Alan
    OME (Old Man Emu) is the way to go... he makes great stuff. Lacking that, look at a factory steering damper, believe it or not. It's a great piece and not that expensive. For shocks, again go with OME or lacking that try Rancho 9000s. They're easily adjustable. For BIG money you can go gonzo with lots of other brands... look at DiscoWeb.org for details.

Hope this helps, -Bob
    Our records only go up to a little over 33,000 miles. Other than a couple of engine oil leaks and window linkage adjustments there was not much work performed under warranty. One of the cleanest warranty histories I have seen for a vehicle of this vintage. Can't say what might have happened from the last service visit recorded to current mileage though.
  • gadiscogadisco Member Posts: 5
    Thanks Nanuq...I ordered a set of OME shocks and a factory Dampner from British Atlantic this morning-I really appreciate the Help.

Tincup.....Thanks for checking the service records for me--I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed and be glad that I got a great Disco that seems to be in top shape. I really appreciate the help guys!

Alan
  • miked03miked03 Member Posts: 21
    My '03 Disco S has about 15k on the OE Michelin 4x4 XPC tires and I have no complaints. One of the many selling points was that Land Rover was putting H rated tires on their SUV's while other makes are using lower speed rated tires. The TREAD act will require that more tires need to meet high heat tolerances, and we will see more H-rated OE tires in the future. On the highway, they are so quite and they don't get hot after driving a few hundred miles. Yes, I actually felt the tires to see how hot they got after long trips this summer. One of the reasons for the Firestone blowouts was the tire could not handle high heat.

I know that tire rack sells the Michelin 4x4 XPC tires and they ain't cheap. I think the tire was designed for the Discovery and Tire Rack may be the only retailer who carries them (not sure?)

In the deep snow they are not the best, I'm an advocate of snow tires, and SUV snow tires may be needed in some locations. If you need the extra traction, I would give the BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A KO a look. Although I can't comment on performance, they are more of an offroad tire (agressive looking tread design) with lower rolling resistance (i.e. expect lower gas mileage).

Good luck and let us know what you choose.
  • disco99disco99 Member Posts: 74
    hey nanuq-I did also go with OME steering damper for my disco at 58k-huge improvement over the rough stuff-all of a sudden my shocks feel all right-
    Has any one ever serviced their sls filter(for 60k maintenance-I know I have self leveling suspension)-but where is that filter-how do you service it? should I leave it to the dealer?Anyone please advise.
    thanks
    The SLS filter is accessed by removing the LH turn signal. It is an assembly that has a pipe with a quick disconnect fitting that is under the vehicle near the tailpipe. This whole part is replaced. The part number for this item is RQB000540.
    Thanks... you're a huge asset here.
    ALL OF YOU GUYS ROCK!
    guys like you and nanuq have saved me a fortune-So I'm on a mission to share all those tips whenever I can with fellow disco lovers-
    thanks again.
  • gern21gern21 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Bob for all the info!

Gern21
  • rkoeslerrkoesler Member Posts: 62
    Hey everybody, just thought I'd do an update on my 00 DII.... Nothing to report - I'm at 37,000 miles and the bloody thing is still "perfect" with no problems since new. I'm not too crazy about my suspension though, it's too rough for pleasure (have OME HD springs, and long-travel shocks along with TJM winch bumper and Ramsey REP 9000 winch). Also, because of the 2" effective lift, my stock tires (255/65x16) are way too small, and the truck looks goofy. Yet, I still can't justify new tires because I have about 40,000 miles of tread left on my originals. What I'm saying is: next time I'll leave my vehicle alone and keep it stock because it can easily handle the 2% of time it's actually off-road. Now if it was off-road at least 50%, that would be another story....

I would also like to chime in and thank "nanuq" and "tincup" for their valuable, and interesting postings..I've been here for 4 years now and this is the best forum on the 'net..Happy rovering to all!!
  • stopgo1stopgo1 Member Posts: 20
    I have an '03 Disco HSE. Over the course of the last few months I have randomly noticed a slight shuddering or slipping of the gears when I take off from a stand still. It is not easily reproduced. It will usually happen after traveling at higher speeds on an interstate, then getting off at an exit, stopping at the ramp bottom and then accelerating away from the light or stop sign. The shudder/slip happens as the truck is shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear (at least I think, it's that or 1st to 2nd). IT also happens sometimes in the morning.

There are also occurences in the middle of the day when the truck is already well warmed up.

Any thoughts on this? The dealership has been unable to reproduce this and does not want to investigate until either they do, or it fails. My concern is that with 24k miles on her already my warranty will be up before I know it and it's likely not a cheap fix. I bring it up to get it on record at every service, actually every time I take it in for anything just so there is a constant and consistent history in their computer.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Dave
  • enginoneenginone Member Posts: 20
    Nanuq, Tincup, and others,

For all the great postings about service, maintenance, tires, quirks, et al, has anyone thought about pulling together all of this collected wisdom into a separate website? I know some of the aftermarket sites have FAQs and such, but the kind of info here is a step beyond, and of great value to owner-maintainers.

Mike
    I think that qualifies as the first transmission problem I've ever heard of with a Disco. Well except for the truck here that came from the factory with NO trans fluid...ARGH.

Your Disco should shift so smooth as to be nearly unnoticeable. Only the engine sound should change. If it's shuddering then you might have poor fluid delivery to the pickup tube/filter or it might just be old nasty fluid.

Can you change the fluid yourself? It is an eeeasssssy job. See if that helps. If it doesn't then I'd get it good and hot and take one of the mechanics out for a bite of lunch, and recreate the problem for him.

Don't take no for an answer, you have one of the finest transmissions on the planet there and it ought to work flawlessly. Mine does, at 83k miles it's smooth as buddah.

Good luck, -Bob
    Some people just make a directory in their PC called "Check Engine Light" and save all this stuff in there. You can also look at LRX.com and at DiscoWeb.org which is probably the best site for indexed repair articles.

Cheers!
  • stopgo1stopgo1 Member Posts: 20
    nanuq, thanks, taking one of the mechanics out is a great idea, i'm worried that it won't completely fail until after the warranty expires!

it did it 2 times in the last week. of course it hasn't done it during 2 pretty long test drives with the service manager, arrgh.

i'm sure it'll get straightened out one way or the other. i'll take a look under her and see what i can figure out in terms of whether i can manage a fluid change on the transmission.

thanks again, i'll let you know what ultimately happens with it.
    Your Disco is probably different than my DI but it's a cinch to change my fluid... just drain it (into a BIG container) and then refill thru the check tube in the engine compartment. They recommend Hylomar on the plug threads but don't sweat it... it won't leak.

Hmmmmmmm come to think of it... can the fluid be changed in your truck? Did I read about that somewhere?

Tincup???
  • adfsa1adfsa1 Member Posts: 4
    Deal just offered $125 over invoice on a 2003 LR Disco Se. Any others have recent buying experiences, and if so, does this sound like a competitive price? Thanks
  • odiopusodiopus Member Posts: 47
    Has anyone had the opportunity to purchase a Land Rover from the UK or any other country and transported it to the US? Anyone have any info. on the conversion process for US Standards? I have an opportunity to purchase a 2004 Defender Td5 from the Rome dealership in Italy and was wondering if the conversion to US standards $$ would be worth it. My out of pocket for the transport is $0. Any info. is greatly appreciated...

Odiopus
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Gray market cars have lots of interesting issues; after you get them registered and licensed, you usually have no warranty coverage and sometimes getting parts is a hassle (parts may not be as big an issue with a Rover as some other makes though?).

Bill Gate's Porsche is now street legal. Only took him ten years to get it certified and out of the bonded customs warehouse :-)

Steve, Host
    Converted vehicles show up on LRX.com and eBay periodically. Post-conversion prices have been in the low to mid $50k neighborhood. That may give you a sense of cost based on your known purchase price, plus some expected profit for the seller. I'll contact someone I know has done it recently (to a td5 Defender) to see if they're willing to share any info.
  • smarticussmarticus Member Posts: 37
    Rather than import a Defender, why not emigrate to the UK. Here Defenders are 10 a penney so it would probably work out cheaper in the long run :.)
  • miked03miked03 Member Posts: 21
    I heard that the only change in 2004 for the Disco is that the manual locking differential is going to be standard, nice!

As for 2005, here is an update from the Aug. 25th edition of Automotive News:
    "Purists, have no fear: The Discovery stays on a Land Rover platform and does not migrate to the Ford Explorer as some had theorized. The redesign comes in fall 2004.

The redesigned Discovery will have a longer wheelbase and overall length, but it will be narrower and lower in height. While the width will address the narrow streets and parking spaces in Europe and Japan, the added length accommodates a third row of seats.

The redesigned Discovery will be powered by a version of Jaguar's 4.2-liter V-8.

Although the vehicle's structure will be mounted on a ladder frame, its ride gets mellowed with independent front and rear suspension."
    Here's what I got back from someone who's done it:

". . . it costs $15,000 and 2 months of paperwork to get one in and there is no way around it if you want to keep it legal. Also, it can NEVER be
    registered in California. The compliance papers are issued after it has been to the EPA Testing labs and the Dot and Customs have all been paid. There is no guarantee of a pass at the EPA either."

He researched it quite a bit in advance, and the process is involved but doable. Patience and cash are required in large quantities. Presently, he's importing 2 more for specific customers which will sell for $62k and $64k.

Makes an "off-the-shelf" Disco look pretty attractive. Now if they would just offer the diesel . . .
    ......do this when they can get a vintage D90 for half that, and it will increase in value over the years?

Unless you use it like I use my Anuqa... ;)
    There's a D110 for sale at the dealer here, "only" $58,000.

We were up on Byron glacier last week, here are some nice pictures:

http://www.nanuq.net/Troop215/byronglacier2003/byronglacier2003.h- tm
  • tencupsadaytencupsaday Member Posts: 1
    I am considering the purchase of a 2000 disco II with 97000 miles on it. Am I crazy? This vehicle is cheap - and rightly so. What are common repairs at 100k ? Timing belt?etc?Rust on both alpine windows and top of tailgate window - is this common? Driver's seat is severely ripped and cargo area has many bumps and bruises. This is a seven seater with dual a/c and dual moon roofs and most other bells and whistles. Vin#SALTY1245YA242471 -tincup47, could you please advise.
    Ask yourself a few questions---
    why is the driver's seat severely ripped?
    why are there so many bumps and bruises in the cargo area?
    why is there rust on three year old truck?

I could be wrong here but the previous drivers don't strike me as being overly protective of their disco----
    Do you think they were changing their engine fluid every 3k?

what kind of care did the car get after warranty expired?
    just be careful--Make sure to follow the veterans in this forum-I've found their tips to be very helpful.
    good luck
    Would anyone know whether A D1 load space cover would fit a D299....
  • bugnut23bugnut23 Member Posts: 8
    Am considering replacing my DII Wrangler HP's with a set of BFG A/T's in 255 or 265/70-16. Would prefer to buy 4 rather than 5 and have one waste away hanging on the rear door. Aside from some interesting handling issues, would the short-term, emergency use of the under-sized spare cause any upset to the drivetrain/ECT system? Would the diffs. compensate for the difference in tire heights? i.e. approx. 29.3 in. vs 30.7 in
  • smarticussmarticus Member Posts: 37
    Help Guys, my wife wants to change her faithful DII for a Jeep Grand Cherokee. The local dealer is offering a huge discount cos these trucks are not good sellers in the UK, so it does seem like a lot of car for the money. The big soft leather seats and canny cup holders have wooed the wife into wanting one and I am struggling to talk her out of it. Can someone please feed me a few good reasons why the Grand Cherokee really doesn't hack it as a family SUV which doesn't spend much time off road but does need to handle UK winding lanes and some snow & ice.
    My brother's wife had a GJC for two years and in that time, had it in the shop SEVEN times for transmission and differential work. The trans was replaced once. My other sister-in-law had a GJC and it lost the front differential and transmission in a 2-year period. My father-in-law had one as well, and so far (touch wood) he hasn't had it in the shop. None of these trucks *ever* go offroad. Ever.

The GJC feels very sporty compared to a Disco, and feels low and taught. But I do not have confidence in its drivetrain. It also has a less-useful cargo space (not as angular and tall). The seat leather is also nowhere near the grade of that used on DIs... not sure how it compares to the DII.

If you have children, bear in mind they will want to drive the GJC some day and it will attain speed much quicker than a DII. Not always a good thing. And should the worst happen, they are MUCH safer in the DII than in the GJC.

http://www.landroverclub.net//Club/HTML/Main_Wrecks.htm

I hope this helps, -Bob
    I would probably walk away from that vehicle. I can't go into specifics on why I feel that way due to privacy issues. What disco99 said makes a lot of sense. It was maintained up to the expiration of the warranty and had few issues during that period. There are no records after that.
  • buroskyburosky Member Posts: 90
    Three words:

Safety, safety, safety.

I've seen the pictures in the URL Nanuq posted. Those pictures says it all. If I remember correctly, there even was one person who dropped by this board who was in one of those wrecks. What a testimony!
    A D2 loadspace area is about 8-10" longer than a Discovery I, so the loadspace covers or mats are not interchangeable.