Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercury Mariner Hybrid

13»

Comments

• stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Poorly appointed for all the money spent on it and since the day I got it it has some sort of transmission problem that cant be rectified. "

If you are really interested in other people helping out, you will need to describe exactly what you mean my "some sort of transmission problem"...
  • kay22kay22 Member Posts: 2
    I am not sure if this is to late to help. But same thing happened with my 2008 Mariner last winter. I took to the dealer told them about mileage and there was a computer update that needed to down loaded. The mileage went back up.
    Kass
  • transpowertranspower Member Posts: 213
    I, too, had to have the computer update done on my 2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid. For the past couple of years I was buying gasoline from the local WaWa, because it was the cheapest I could find. However, my Mariner started to "diesel" or have "run-on" when supposedly the engine was to turn off in coming to a stop. So now I've switched to BP Invigorate gasoline; I hope that the BP gasoline will clean all the engine gunk and stop the "dieseling." Has anyone else had this problem? Other than this, the vehicle has been completely maintenance free for 2 1/2 years.
    Update: I started staring at the instrument panel to see if I could detect a light coming on at the same time as the "thud." Yes, it turned out to be the "wrench," which the manual says means "powertrain/throttle fault." I have an appointment at the dealer's for Thursday.
  • craig001craig001 Member Posts: 2
    Interesting thread, found it when searching for Mariner Running Boards (which are an option BTW).

I have a 2006 MMH with ~26k on the clock. Right now I am averaging 28.4. Best it's ever been except right after an ECU update when I topped out in the 29's and dropped. In the winter I get in the 24's here in StL MO.

Problems I have had:
    High Pressure Pump failure (stopped charging batpak and Check Engine Light lit)
    Rear shocks replaced (squeaks - but it still squeaks. I thought it was the body bushings, but the dealer claims the tech put body mics on the car and that it was the shocks)
    Both these warranty repairs
    One issue no one has been able to fix since close to new (bought 5/2006) is a "squeal" from the rear when running on batteries - sounds almost like a brake pad warning, but pads are fine, rotors true. Very annoying
    Nits -
    - Seats don't give enough thigh support (I am 6'3") and need more cushion
    - Give me lower license plate screw speed nuts (mine rattles when shutting hatch, even with some door sealing foam behind it)
    - Better floor mats (for $110 these are way cheap - I was starting to wear a spot under my right heel in three days)
    - Include the rear cargo cover
    - Improve materials used for interior - after alll, this vehicle is seriouly more expensive than the regular version

But all in all it's not a "bad car/crossover" but still too expensive (my stickers was $33170, should have bought the Escape (IMHO). And of course Ford doesn't really want our opinions.
    Here's what I've learned over the past two years:

1. Go back to your dealer and get the computer recalibrated. Ford/Mercury keeps updating the settings. My current setting, made a week ago, is quite amazing: I'm staying in electrical mode MUCH longer.

2. Replace the air filter with one from K & N.

3. Use 40 psi in your tires, preferably nitrogen from Nitrofill.

4. Use BP Invigorate gasoline, which cleans away all the engine gunk.

Now I'm getting 30 mpg around town, instead of 26-27.
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    You get that mileage because of your slightly lighter foot and definitely not because of BP gasoline or nitrogen in your tires (which will wear out prematurely due to higher psi I might add)
    The observational facts say otherwise.
  • coolguy4coolguy4 Member Posts: 1
    After I service the car how do I turn off the message that tells me the car needs servicing? When I hit the re-set button it goes off until the next time I start the car?
  • skynomadskynomad Member Posts: 3
    We have had our 2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid 4x4(same vehicle as the FEH 4x4)since 2005. We have 40k miles and it has been a good car. We have had minor repairs, mostly because Ford used some inferior parts when they built it.

We are having some problem with the ABS now, there is lots of information on the web about problems with the ABS on the FEH. We are having a cracked tone ring replaced on the rear axle. I am having it replaced and having new rotors and ceramic pads put on the front for a total of $521. I have a good mechanic who is not a dealer. I have heard of people paying the dealer over $700 just for the tone ring replacement!! I will say that one problem owning a Hybrid is that every one jacks up the price of materials and labor. When I went to get an air filter I found that paper filters were $35, twice what they run for regular vehicles. I ended up buying a K&N filter for just a few dollars more and will never need a new one again. It was the same when I went to the dealer for a quote on new rotors and pads. Thank God I found a good independent mechanic that knows what he is doing with Hybrids.

We also have a Subaru Outback and I think for over all cost of ownership, performance, MPG (which is almost the same) and reliability, I think would go with another Outback. I've found that Ford's customer service and quality doesn't measure up unfortunately.
    We have had our 2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid 4x4(same vehicle as the FEH 4x4)since 2005. We have 40k miles and it has been a good car. We have had minor repairs, mostly because Ford used some inferior parts when they built it.

We are having some problem with the ABS now, there is lots of information on the web about problems with the ABS on the FEH. We are having a cracked tone ring replaced on the rear axle. I am having it replaced and having new rotors and ceramic pads put on the front for a total of $521. I have a good mechanic who is not a dealer. I have heard of people paying the dealer over $700 just for the tone ring replacement!! I will say that one problem owning a Hybrid is that every one jacks up the price of materials and labor. When I went to get an air filter I found that paper filters were $35, twice what they run for regular vehicles. I ended up buying a K&N filter for just a few dollars more and will never need a new one again. It was the same when I went to the dealer for a quote on new rotors and pads. Thank God I found a good independent mechanic that knows what he is doing with Hybrids.

We also have a Subaru Outback and I think for over all cost of ownership, performance, MPG (which is almost the same) and reliability, I think would go with another Outback. I've found that Ford's customer service and quality doesn't measure up unfortunately.

We are having some problem with the ABS now, there is lots of information on the web about problems with the ABS on the FEH. We are having a cracked tone ring replaced on the rear axle. I am having it replaced and having new rotors and ceramic pads put on the front for a total of $521. I have a good mechanic who is not a dealer. I have heard of people paying the dealer over $700 just for the tone ring replacement!!

I will say that one problem owning a Hybrid is that every one jacks up the price of materials and labor. When I went to get an air filter I found that paper filters were $35, twice what they run for regular vehicles. I ended up buying a K&N filter for just a few dollars more and will never need a new one again. It was the same when I went to the dealer for a quote on new rotors and pads. Thank God I found a good independent mechanic that knows what he is doing with Hybrids.

• bush54bush54 Member Posts: 1
    We are desperate. Our MM hybrid just randomly shuts off when driving on the highway. We have had it looked at many times but the problem recurs, now with increasing frequency. We've been told it is a safety feature where the gasoline is shut off to avoid an explosion in case of an accident (the car thinks we've been in an accident, really?). The Ford/Mercury dealer says it can't figure out the problem and so we are just stuck. Anyone had this experience?
    I checked the following link (for the 2008 model year) and there were no service bulletins about this matter. Try the link with your model year and see if anything comes up.

http://www.mycarstats.com/reports/mercury/mariner_hybrid/2008/complaints.aspx
  • gottafly51gottafly51 Member Posts: 1
    Hi: We are having the same problem with our 2006 Hybrid. In addition, it is now giving us real headaches and a safety problem by not moving after coming to a stop while driving. When you press on the accelerator to go, nothing happens. The car just sits there with the engine either idling at 1000 rpm, or in electric mode. It will not drive away unless you shut it down and wait for a bit, and then attempt a restart. This is driving us crazy because the dealership has now had the car for 5 months, and can't diagnose or fix the problem. Help!!
  • wilcoxwilcox Member Posts: 582
    edited February 2013
    It may be that the electric water pump (located below the radiator) has stopped working and the vehicle senses temperature has gotten too hot. It has happened to us in our 2007 MH.

Ford wants big bucks to fix, but you can do it yourself. As a matter of a fact, a 12 year old with any form of mechanical sense can replace the pump. It's not in the cars motor, it's outside underneath radiator. Just, disconnect the wire, couple of hose clamps to remove and a couple of bolts to remove.

Check your hoses under the hood and the coolant tank to see if things are pressurized.

You can buy the pump on line and do it yourself...saving about ~say~ $500.oo :surprise:
  • tonyritatonyrita Member Posts: 1
    I just had the same situation happen to me. My Mariner was about 5 years old and I had no problems with it other than tires and brakes. I just drove the car that morning and within two hours my car caught fire and burnt my garage and my wifes car. A complete disaster. Did the Ford motor company do anything about your incident?
  • wilcoxwilcox Member Posts: 582
    Is it still under Warranty?

Let's hope your home owners or automobile insurance covered the damages if nothing else.

Blew Up? How did that happen? Gasoline leaky and ignited by garage spark, or Electric battery problem?? Other?
  • mike2hawaiimike2hawaii Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    2 weeks ago took in my 2006 model and they tested it to their computer system and the feedback was replace the hybrid battery cooling fans. As luck would have it my MM just turned 100k. Zero coverage now. They quoted a jaw dropping $1200 to do it. Research here convinced us to buy the fans and install ourselves. Did it Monday in 90 minutes--yes only 90 mins! That is where the good news ends. Today it lagged again from 10 - 30 mph (so far not as extreme) as it did prior to taking it in for the diagnosis above. I'm wondering as some of the other feedback here, if you believe that Ford again has outdated computer systems diagnosing wrong components failing and it IS in fact the water cooling/pumping problem?