Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius Audio & Entertainment System Questions

dbrandondbrandon Member Posts: 2
I am picking up a new Black Prius today. I was wondering if you can play mp3 cd's that I have made myself or can you only play mp3 using say an Ipod in the adapter?

Thanks David

Comments

• dochollywood1dochollywood1 Member Posts: 3
    i just bought an 06 prius which comes with an aux jack in the center glovebox. attached my ipod to the audio system via this jack thinking it would play what i pick on the ipod. instead, the car uses the ipod more like a disc and only plays the mp3 and wav files while skipping through all of the songs bought through itunes. any suggestions? don't like the fm transmitters and would rather not install a whole bunch of new equipement...
  • tyguy2tyguy2 Member Posts: 1
    My i-pod mini works normally with the Aux-in jack; it plays both the AAC (itunes) and MP3 music. I don't think the aux-in jack has any intelligence - it's just a input source. Does your ipod play correctly through headphones?

A couple of minor quirks - 1) the car sometimes switches to "cd" from "Aux" after it's been shut off. 2) if I charge the Ipod from the power adapter while connected to the Aux port, I hear a faint hiss under the music. Otherwise no complaints.
  • rukindrukind Member Posts: 17
    I'm interested in your experience with the cross noise. Have you tried this in another vehicle? Is it your car or all models? Have you tried someone else's iPod to see if it is isolated to your unit?
  • yardstickyardstick Member Posts: 5
    Greetings fellow Priusseurs. I just took delivery of my Blue Package 1 on Sunday. Great car. It appears that Toyota is adding XM radio as an option in April. Has anyone done the research and found out if it will be retrofitable (by Toyota dealers), or only available as a pre-installed option?
  • bowdenbowden Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone ever found out how to use an IPod in the 2006 Prius equipped with MP3 inputs? Thanks!
  • cheryl06priuscheryl06prius Member Posts: 50
    Last week I called the Toyota Customer Experience Center and inquired as to the availability of a retrofittable XM Satellite Radio for the '06 Prius. They stated it would be available at the end of April. Today I called a dealer in Rochester-NY and their estimate of availability was the middle of May.

I'll be the first in line to have it installed. Currently I have a "Roady 2" installed in my vehicle but it's performance is marginal, the main problem is interference on most of the available FM channels.

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has the factory/dealer installed version as to it's performance.
  • marieh2006marieh2006 Member Posts: 2
    I'm picking up my new Prius tomorrow. Found the one I want at a dealer in another town, and the salesman I spoke to was honest enough to admit he didn't know about hooking it up for XM Radio. He's talking to his service/install people and is supposed to let me know something tomorrow. If it can't be retrofitted at the moment, could you please tell me how the Roady 2 works? Do you just have the antenna in the dash somewhere or is it wired into the radio? I hate to sound stupid, but I can't really tell how it's supposed to work from the package, and I don's want to buy one till I know how to make it work. I'll probably be back here with more questions after I drive it home! :D
    The Roady 2 has pretty much been phased out of the market and its equivalent is the Delphi XT which sells for about $60.00 at places like Walmart. I would strongly recommend having either of the two profesionally installed at an audio shop because some drilling is required, it will probably cost about $150.00 and you might get a better deal purchasing the radio from the installer.

Both Roady 2 and XT are pocket size units which can be mounted on the dash or on the center console. On my Prius the antenna is mounted on the front passenger windshield, on a previous car it was on the rear window.

I can't speak for the XT but i'm not satisfied with my Roady due to having difficulty finding an open channel. The Roady/XTs have to be tuned to one of 7 or 8 FM frequencies such as 88.1, depending on your location there may be another non XM station with a strong signal that interferes with the XM. I find myself changing frequencies often which is difficult to do while driving. The interference tends to be heavier when near a larger city with a greater concentration of FM stations.

When I find the right frequency the Roady gives acceptable reception. It may well be the XT gives better reception. I'm waiting for the Toyota integrated unit to become available and take the chance that a Toyota dealer will install it correctly. Being the XM radio addict I am i'll just have to put up with the Roady until then.
  • marieh2006marieh2006 Member Posts: 2
    Cheryl, thanks for the info!
    I am NOT drilling on my brand new car! My salesman told me today (when I picked it up) that the integrated units are supposed to be available at the first part of June, so I think I can manage for that long with the cd player. I'd rather have the Toyota dealer put it in, then they're responsible if there's a problem ;)
  • kuenskuens Member Posts: 2
    I think it depends on your CD player, some CD player do play MP3 disc. But if you have a MP3 player and if you want to play MP3 in car, it is very easy.
    I have purchased one of those FM Transmitter from ebay. It works very good. Here is where I bought the item.
    http://stores.ebay.com/Risefull-Direct
    I just had the integrated XM radio installed on my '06 Prius by a Toyota dealer.

In urban driving so far reception has been excellent but recently took a 300 mile trip that was mostly rural and hilly. Approximately 25% of the trip resulted in "No signal". I covered the same route with the same car when my "Roady" was installed and less than 5% was "No signal".

With the "Roady" the rubber antenna was mounted on the roof,with the integrated unit it is mounted on the far lower right(passenger side) of the windshield.

While more testing will be required to form a conclusion i'm hoping that the current antenna position will not result in consistent signal loss.

I'm interested in hearing from anyone with the integrated XM radio on their Prius as to reception issues.

From the ergononmic standpoint the unit is excellent.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    Having the antenna on the roof is the difference. It may help to move the antenna up high on the windshield, or even put it up high on the rear window. Best is still on the roof. I think they are just trying to keep aerodynamic effects at zero. An XM antenna on the roof would have so little aero effect you wouldn't be able to measure it. I suppose owners would be upset if the installer drilled a hole in the roof though. I always put my antennas on the roof. They work so much better there. There are very reliable through roof antenna mounts that don't leak. I think the XM antenna would look good front centre just back of the windshield.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I always put my antennas on the roof. They work so much better there.

My GMC PU has XM factory installed. It has a small antenna on the roof. The only time I lose signal is in my metal shop building. It does not cut out when going through an underpass. I have not had it in a tunnel which I assume will lose the signal. Part of the system has a memory circuit that stores the signal coming in to avoid losses.
    Thanks to both for your responses.

My friend has a HCH with integrated XM and the antenna is mounted on the upper right corner of the windshield(passenger side). He has no reception problems in hilly terrain.

Also I noticed on my Prius there is a 2.25inch square metallic plate on the interior windshield surface covering the rubber or plastic portion of the antenna. I never saw one before but I can't help but think that it doesn't impede reception.

After some further road testing i'll probably end up back at the dealer requesting some type of antenna modification.
  • mtuftsmtufts Member Posts: 12
    I need to find a good source for a NON I-pod conversion kit for my MP3 player so that I can play it in my Prius. Any ideas? I'm the one who also wants seat covers. :shades:
  • jeffreyboyjeffreyboy Member Posts: 8
    Finally had XM installed by the dealer on my 2006 Prius. The dealer originally quoted me a higher price than noted on Toyota's PDF e-brochure, but met the price when I showed them the printout. They did a great job installating the unit. The antenna sits on top of the dash in the far right corner, passenger side, next to the glass and is hardly noticeable. It took them less than two hours to install. The XM reception is excellent and far better than the reception from the antenna for the radio.
  • markwhallmarkwhall Member Posts: 2
    Check on eBay for Prius cloth seat covers & leather seat skins (full replacements).
  • hotflashyhotflashy Member Posts: 6
    My current car has an iPOD ready stereo, where you can control the iPOD from the radio and it also charges while it's plugged in. Does anybody know if that's going to be an option on the '07 Prius? I asked at the dealership. She said the Scion is the only one that currently has it and she wasn't sure if the Prius would. Toyota needs to realize that even us 50+ types have iPODs! Besides, at this age, who can see the screen on the iPOD while you're driving. ;)
    I'm interested in knowing the overall reception performance of your XM after a month.

I have the same setup as you do, i'm assuming that your antenna is on the lower portion-far right portion of the passenger side windshield, as opposed to the upper far right position.

After nearly a month with this setup i'm having serious problems and am getting "No Signal" repeatedly in flat,level terrain. Overall i'd estimate "No signal" 10% of the time. I'm ready to go back to the Toyota dealer who installed it.

Does anyone know if it is possible to mount the after-factory Prius XM antenna at some point other than the lower far right or is it something Toyota just refuses to do?
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    I have two after-market installs of XM, one of Sirrius. All three have the antenna mounted on the roof, via a half-dollar size magnet attached antenna.

My lady has a MB, factory installed, and it too is roof mounted. I think this is a dealer/manufacturer deal. Perhaps they don't want to breach the seal of the windshield for some reason, although I have never experienced leaks or the like.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Something ios definitely wrong with your installation. I had (did continue free 3 month subscription) a factory installed XM system in my Honda Accord and never had a loss of signal failure in the 3 month trial period. Always crystal clear.

Most like cause is the antenna. I would go to a professional setroe or XM dealer to resolve the issue.

Good Luck,

MidCow

Liked Local Talk shows, NPR, and FM Jazz station better. An CDs and Autoselect AM/FM stations on road trips. Also, didn't want to pay $13 per month.
    The XM antenna on my Prius is located in the same location as yours. I have only experienced two minor "No Signal" errors, once when driving in a freeway tunnel and the other momentary no signal when passing under a high-power line.

This is the third vehicle I've owned with XM and have never experienced the problems you are currently having. I would certainly take this up with your Toyota Dealer. When I spoke with my Toyota dealer, they would only install the antenna on the dash where ours is located for warranty purposes. I'll be interested in hearing how they remedy this for you.
    Thanks for your response, also Midnight Cowboy&Jeffreyboy.

Ironically I have an XM roof mount antenna already installed on my '06 Prius. This is because I had a "Roady" installed before the Toyota XM integrated unit became available. The Toyota installer obviously was aware of this, but it appears their policy requires windshield mount antennas.

I've made an appointment for later this week with the XM dealer(non Toyota) who installed the "Roady". Hopefully the roofmount antenna can be connected to the Integrated unit although it might jeopradize the warranty.

If that can't be done i'll have to take the matter up with Toyota.

The radio itself is excellent with the screen being easily visible while driving.
  • bobourbobour Member Posts: 3
    I got my Prius mid last year (tatally love it!). I've been streaming my iPod through the radio using the FM transmitter. This, of course, is pretty bad, and I can't do it while driving in NYC. Does anyone know whether it's possible to hack an auxilary RCA jack into the 05 Prius? Thanks!

Dmitriy
    I took my '06 Prius to a non-Toyota audio dealer, he was unable to determine how the Toyota dealer had connected the Integrated XM unit to the windshield antenna, so he wasn't able to connect my "Roady" roof antenna to the Integrated.

Instead he suggested a simple modification which was done within fifteen minutes. On my windshield antenna the silver metallic strip was attached to the front lower right windshield and positioned between the windshield and the black plastic rectangular antenna unit(also attached to the windshield). The technician's opinion was that this was likely to impede reception of the satellite signal.

The set up was repositioned: the silver metallic strip is now flat on the dashboard instead of attached to the windshield and the black unit is directly on top of it with nothing between it and the windshield. No antenna part is attached directly to the windshield.

So far the preliminary reception results appear promising, but i'll have to do more driving to form a definite opinion.
    Try http://www.coastaletech.com/

They sell such things.
  • hotflashyhotflashy Member Posts: 6
    Does anybody know if any of the following work well in the Prius: Samsung D807, LGcu500 or Motorola SLVR? Thanks.
    The better Moto, the RAZR does. I believe I have read here the SLVR does as well. Toyota can tell you for sure. :)
    Hey Cheryl,
    I think your reception should improve considerably with the new location of the antenna since it appears that it is in the same position as the one I have. Let me know how it works out for you.
    Hey Terry,
    I have a Motorola RAZR phone that integrated perfectly. The set-up was quick and simple. I also know that the Motorola Z600 should work as well but the RAZR is much more user friendly.
    Cool!

The guy who asked was in message #28. ;)
    Oops... sorry terry.
    J
  • akollerakoller Member Posts: 15
    I am the new owner of a red 2007 Prius with package 2 (single CD, no satellit radio) and need help to decide how to upgrade for at least XM radio, maybe with a new 6-CD changer if that's available. I asked the dealer when I bought the car, but they don't seem to know about the options.

One source I found is Factory Interactive, offering an XM kit that integrates directly with the existing radio and Multi-Function Display (MFD). That sounds like a tuner and software solution that might be a good compromise.

Does anyone have experience and advice to share please? Does Toyota sell any replacement hardware for upgrades like this?

Thanks!
  • allargonallargon Member Posts: 75
    Classic Toyota in Round Rock, TX installed XM satellite radio into several non-touring 2007 models on their lots. They skinned a few with leather seats, pinstripes, woodgrain trim plus other high margin dealer add-ons. I can't imagine them (or any other metropolitan area Toyota dealer) not being able to switch out the unit for a 6-cd changer unit for a small fee plus parts.
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    I was wondering if I can get the upgraded radio from say package 4 or so, the one that has the 6 disk changer and plays MP3 disks. That is really all I need, as most of the time I listen to AM talk radio, which this radio seems to do quite well, but there will be times when I wouldl ike to listen to music. I am 42 Years old, and dont need a cranker boom boom system, and not interesetem in XM. Basically, is is possible to change out the radio to a different one without modifications to the car? :confuse:
    Your dealer can add the 6 disk CD changer at any time to the lower "grade" audio system. It's a Toyota accessory.
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    Still trying to figure that one out, I went to the dealer, and the cd player they show doesnt look anything like what is in there, and doesnt look like it would fit without modifying the dash. I am wondering if the 6 disk MP3 player/radio unit from an 06 will plug right in and work as I found one of those.
  • maria07priusmaria07prius Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to work the mp3 player/Aux on the '07 Prius? All files on the player are .wma or .mp3's and when I plug it into the Aux it shows it playing but there is no sound. Dealer told me I needed to increase the volume on the player itself and increase the volume of the car stereo. That didn't work. Any suggestions??
  • charlahcharlah Member Posts: 1
    I have found that when I play my Palm (mp3)via the AUX output it only plays on the left side speakers. I am going to try a different connection to see if it will out put on both sides. Also need to make sure your balance is set correctly.
    You have to select the aux. jack input on the MFD Audio screen. Once you do that you should get full stereo. If you only get one channel, then you have a connection problem. Check the cable, make sure the jack is correctly wired.
  • sapa1sapa1 Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody know how to set up on a Prius 2007 my Motorola Razr?
    Thanks.
  • fritz313fritz313 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Toyota Prius with the #9 package including JBL Sound and Navigation. The car has a little over 26K miles and has been relaible, comfortable, and economical so far. I have noticed a problem with fairly severe "bleed through" of electrical static and whine through the audio section when the radio is played in AM mode. Its a function of the throttle position and is definitely related to the hybrid drive power output. The dealer noted that a shield cover had fallen off the dash speaker. After it was replaced I had no static for about three weeks, but its back now with a vengence. I have found reference to the static problem in one other place, and suspect that its a lot more common than that. The problem started soon after the display was replaced. ANyone have a similar experience? If so, was it resolved?
  • ilya3ilya3 Member Posts: 1
    I have Prius 2004, and my CD is not working. I can't retrieve CDs, Display shows "CD Error" message. Looks like one CD stocks somewhere in the middle of tracks or any other mechanical failure. At DealershipI was told that the whole unit needs to replaced (exchanged) and it would cost $600.
    Is anybody have a similar experience, or suggestion on what can be done to reduce the repair cost?
  • sandbakkensandbakken Member Posts: 1
    I've got the same problem. This should be covered with the warranty, correct?
  • vantikavantika Member Posts: 1
    Okay, I've got a 2007 Prius, package 2. When I am using my mp3 player and the AUX connection, I get a "pop" between songs. Other than that, the sound is fine. Anyone have a similar problem? So far, I've tried two lines and heard the pop with both lines. I've got a Sansa mp3 player. When I borrowed an ipod, no pop. So, it seems like the player is the problem. Suggestions?
  • ccantoreccantore Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Prius with 6 CD mp3 player and an auxiliary jack. When I plug in my mp3 player (Creative 30GB), the player almost immediately resets and rebuilds its hard drive, and it continually does this making the mp3 jack useless, and perhaps endangering my mp3 player. This is unique to the car stereo, as I hook the player up to my home stereo, computer speakers at work, etc., with no problems. I figure the car stereo is sending some electric current into my stereo, rather than passively accepting the audio, but whatever it is I'd like to know if anyone has suggestions?
  • woody53woody53 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Prius and want to have the display screen stay in audio mode displaying the mp3 information longer than the 20- 30 sec's it does now before defaulting to the main screen. anyone know if this is possible and how.
  • bobc9bobc9 Member Posts: 1
    to install a recently purchased satellite radio, i need to find the fm antenna, can anyone help with the location on 2007 prius
    thnx, bobc
  • stevegoldstevegold Member Posts: 185
    My BlackBerry 8130 Pearl works perfectly as a phone.
    How do you set up the music player.
    The 2004 Prius does not have an AUX music input jack.
  • captainron042captainron042 Member Posts: 4
    I don't see too many people posting that they just bought a USED prius. Maybe that's a good thing, Maybe not? Makes me wonder why the one owner before me got rid of it, lol.

Anyway, I just bought a used 2006 prius. Don't know what package. Is there any way to tell?

Also, I was under the impression that all 2006's had the AUX jack? I'm a huge audiophile, and being chained to regular radio is driving me nuts. I do not own an ipod (for god sakes, there's better things out there than those things). Can anyone tell me how I can find the AUX input if there is one. I looked all over and inside the center console and dash, but cannot find it.

If I don't have one, is there a way I can hook one up directly to the factory radio, besides the FM modulator route.