Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Commander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    neumie2000neumie2000 Member Posts: 133
    NO!! I purchased the same vehicle with the 4.7 V8 and some upgraded wheel and offroad package, 2000 down, 27 months, 15K per year for 250, including all taxes. Your deal sounds a little high. I think they have at least another 40-50 a month before you hit their bottom line.....
  • Options
    newcartimenewcartime Member Posts: 2
    I got quoted essentially the same deal. I was wondering the same thing. My MSRP was 38,305, less 1200 because they removed the 1200 nav from the car.
  • Options
    newcartimenewcartime Member Posts: 2
    Did you get the 27 month lease? What were the details?
  • Options
    jaypsjayps Member Posts: 9
    I received the following quotes from Connecticut dealer for an '07 Overland with the only additional option being the infotainment system:

Dealer says:
    The lease payment for 27 months with $2,064.79 cash down is $783.77 per month for that specific vehicle. Residual for 27 months is 52% based on 15k a year with a money factor of .00187 .

39 months with $2,004.31 cash down is $723.29 per month. Residual for 39 months is 44% based on 15k a year with a money factor of .00263
    -----

When I run the calculator on Jeep.com for this vehicle I get an MSRP of 46,095, discount 3,500 and net price of 42,595. With 4,467 down, the payment is $607.

Why do these rates seem so high compared to what I see on this board and in the lease calculator on the Jeep.com site? I'm obviously missing something but what?

Many thanks in advance
  • Options
    dgluvdgluv Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at a 2006 Limited Commander with a MSRP of $39000 and expect rebates of about $6500. For a lease with 15k and $2000 down how much should I expect the monthly payment to be?
  • Options
    CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi crain12. The truck that you described has a spread of at least $3,500 between its full MSRP and dealer invoice price. Add to that the total of $5,500 in cash incentives that were available on it in November and we have a total of $9,000 to play with. You were quoted a discount of $7,865 on this truck, so you are probably at around $1,100 over invoice or so. Which isn't bad, but might be able to be beaten if you shop around some. The lease program that you were quoted looks about right to me, but it has changed for the month of December.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • Options
    Yes, jmcumming, vehicles' destination charges are considered to be part of their MSRPs when calculating vehicles' residual values.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • Options
    Hi jayps. I believe that DamilerChrysler is running a lease pull-ahead program on the Jeep Commander right now. this program will waive up to three of current Chrysler Financial lessees' payments if they finance or lease a new Commander through Chrysler Financial.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • Options
    Hi jerseycat10. The price that you will be able to negotiate on this truck depends upon if you want a 2007 or a 2006 model. DaimlerChrysler is providing large cash incentives to help its dealers unload their remaining 2006 models right now. Its cash incentives on 2007 models are not as attractive yet. Specifically, DaimlerChrysler is providing $6,000 dealer cash on the 2006 Jeep Commander and $2,500 lease cash on the 2007 model. Make sure that you take these cash incentives into account when negotiating the capitalized cost for your lease. You may be able to get an idea of how much you should pay for this truck right now by visiting the following discussion: "Jeep Commander: Prices Paid & Buying Experience".

I don't know exactly what your monthly payment will be for this truck without knowing what its MSRP and selling price are, but I can tell you right now that it is going to cost more than $200 a month to lease (if you do not make any sort of down payment - which is in your best interest). Let me know what model year you want, its MSRP, and its selling price and I will be happy to calculate an approximate lease payment on the model that you want for you.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • Options
    Sasuke, DaimlerChrysler is providing much larger cash incentives on the 2006 Jeep Commander right now than it has on the 2007 model. Specifically, it is providing $6,000 dealer cash on leftover 2006 Commanders, but only $2,500 lease cash on 2007 Commanders. I would be happy to give you an idea of what sort of lease payment to expect for this truck if you provide me with its MSRP, approximate selling price, how long you want to lease it for, and the mileage allowance that you need.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • Options
    You never mentioned the selling price or MSRP of the Commander that you are interested in leasing. These are important numbers for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing this truck's selling price in relation to its MSRP you don't know how much of a discount you are getting on it. The second reason is that one needs the selling price and MSRP, including the destination charge, of a vehicle to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion of this deal if you let me know what these numbers are.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • Options
    Hi jayps. $700 a month with several thousand dollars down is way too much to pay for a Jeep Commander. First of all, it is not in your best interest to make a down payment when leasing. Consumers who make them risk losing them if their leased vehicles are totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered. You can and should lease this truck without making any sort of capitalized cost reduction.

Furthermore, you are not being given enough of a discount on this truck's price. DaimlerChrysler is currently providing $2,500 lease cash on the 2007 Jeep Commander. Add this to the $4,000 difference between its MSRP and dealer invoice price and you have $6,500 to play with. I personally would want a larger discount than $3,500 on this truck. Shop around and see if you can do better.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • Options
    Hello dgluv. How low this truck's lease payment is depends upon how low a selling price you can negotiate on it. Consumers need to make sure they they negotiate discounts on top of any cash incentives that are available on the model that they are interested in. Let me know what this truck's approximate selling price is and I will be happy to work up a sample lease payment on it for you. You can probably come up with a reasonable selling price by assuming $500 or $1,000 over dealer invoice and then subtracting the $6,000 dealer cash that is currently available on this model. You can look up this truck's invoice price by visiting the following section of this site: Edmunds.com - New Vehicle Pricing.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • Options
    dgluvdgluv Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for replying to my message. This is all new to me. So if the MSRP on the car is $39000 and the dealer invoice price is $35045. So let's say that I add $1000 to the dealer invoice price and subtract $6000 dealer cash. That would bring me to a selling price of about $30045. Does that seem right?

Based on the selling price of the car being $30045 with $2000 down what would be a good monthly leasing rate?
  • Options
    happymom2happymom2 Member Posts: 2
    I have been quoted this deal - 39 months with zero out of pocket = $514.12 plus tax. $1500.00 out of pocket = $471.45 plus tax on a 2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4X4 with the trailer tow group IV, navigation system, parkview rear back up camera, 25H package. Deal is for 12,000 miles. The dealer says it is $700 below invoice. I am assuming it includes the $6000 December incentive, but I am confirming. I need to decide ASAP - any thoughts?
    Thanks
  • Options
    You're very welcome, dgluv. Yes, that sounds like a good price to shoot for to me. Using these prices, an MSRP of $39,000 and a selling price of $30,045, I estimate that a 2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4WD would have a 39 month, 15,000 mile per year, zero down, pre-tax monthly payment of around $458. I based my calculation upon zero down because it is in your best interest not to make any capitalized cost reduction when leasing. Consumers who make one risk losing it if their leased vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered. If you really want to make a $2,000 cap cost reduction, it would drop this payment to around $402.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • Options
    Hi happymom2. $700 under invoice is a very good deal for this truck, IF the $6,000 dealer cash is also being subtracted from its price. I would be happy to use Chrysler Financial's actual lease program to estimate what this truck's monthly payment should be right now, but in order for me to do so I need you to provide me with its MSRP and selling price.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • Options
    happymom2happymom2 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your quick reply. Dealer says, "MSRP is $42245.00.....Invoice is $39178.00...and yes it is $700.00 off invoice in addition to the $6000.00..."
    I am loking at 39 month lease with $0 down. Should I go for it?
    Thanks
  • Options
    jdpancerjdpancer Member Posts: 1
    Hey Car Man,

Looking at a 39 month lease with no money down except first month, bank fees and DMV. 2007 Limited with Nav but no DVD. Being quoted $559 a month with "a couple of hundred in cap cost reduction". I am told the price is $42,800 less the $2,500 incentive. This compute out about right or should i be able to get them a little lower?

Thanks.
  • Options
    kellimkellim Member Posts: 4
    Hi Car Man,

Your postings are such a huge help -- thanks! I have a specific deal to consider on an '06 Commander 4.7 V8 "S" Model. I've got employee choice pricing if I buy before 2007. Here are the details:

MSRP 32,630
    EC 29,095
    DC -6,000

Price $23,095

We want a 36 or 39 month lease, 12K yr. We'll put the first month payment down -- nothing else. We've got great credit so should qualify for the best possible money factor on 2006s. The dealer hasn't called me back with the actual monthly lease price yet, but I wanted to know what you thought it should be based upon the above info.

Do you think there's any chance of getting the dealer to come even further off the price? We're on a tight budget, so
    every penny counts... Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    jason16fshjason16fsh Member Posts: 2
    quoted price from the salesman: 2007 comm sport 4wd U26

31,789 price
    -2500 rebate (i thought it was supposed to be 3500)
    -500 (some detroit fee)

1500 down

for 27mo lease, w/ 10,5k miles/yr. (he said 61% residual)

Can you tell me the monthly payments please?
  • Options
    jason16fshjason16fsh Member Posts: 2
    Dealer quote: 2007 grand laredo 4x4 w/ 26x pack

=27800
    1500k down
    27mo, 10.5k,

Can you tell me the monthly payments please?
  • Options
    ohcanadaohcanada Member Posts: 2
    Hello. I'm interested in finding out what I should expect in terms of a lease price on a 2006 Commander 4WD 4.7L 8 cyl. The MSRP is $40,450 and invoice price is $36,928. I want to have the DVD package added. I would like to make a deal within the next day or two. I'm open to a 27-month or 36-month lease and am willing to put as much as $1,000 down. Any thoughts? Thanks is advance.
  • Options
    triesentriesen Member Posts: 5
    Hi -

Do you know the residual value for a 2007 Commander Limited 4X2 with a 5.7l Hemi engine?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Sorry - I realize I left out the length of the lease - either 36 or 39 months.

Thanks!
  • Options
    tleraytleray Member Posts: 3
    Hello, I'm wanting to lease a 2007 Commander limited 4x2. I was told the following, can I get better? I'm new to leasing....

MSRP 37690.00
    Cash Down 4000.00
    39 month lease @ $496.00
    15K miles

What can you negotiate? Does anyone know the current incentives for leasing, I can't get the webpage to pull up?
  • Options
    Lease cash is $2500 right now. The monthly rate sounds a little high.

The key to leasing is the following: negotiate your price as though you are going to buy it. Then, when they give you the price, tell them to calculate the terms for leasing at 39 months with 15k miles and $0 down payment. You don't want to make a large down payment (like $4k) on a lease b/c in the event you are in an accident and the vehicle is totaled, you lose the downpayment. Once they tell you the montly payment at $0 downpayment, you can work upwards from there, but again, a smaller down payment is advisable.
  • Options
    We started looking at the 2007 Commander Sport U package, sticker is $34665.00. They told us to lease it would be with a trade in of $17500.00 (owe $14800.00), no cash down, 15K miles, 39 month lease $487 month.

Question: Should they be reducing the sticker by $2500? They state this includes sales tax. Are their any other charges they are not telling me? What if we decide to buy or not buy, at the end of the lease are there charges that we need to negotiate now? We are very new to leasing and would like as many pointers as possible. We are talking to the local dealership in a small town, but I'm thinking about calling a big city dealership and maybe getting a better deal, what do you advise? Also is it better to buy less miles and pay at the end or buy more miles and get the money back if they are not used?
  • Options
    Here is how leasing works:

Essentially, your total payments should cover the amount the vehicle depreciates over the life of the lease, plus taxes, plus an interest payment for the use of the vehicle (known as a money factor - you can convert any money factor into an interest rate by multiplying the money factor which looks something like .000365 times 2400. The money should be equivalent to prevailing interest rates for buying). The amount the vehicle is worth at the end of the lease is known as the residual value. The residual is higher for a 24 month lease than it is for 39 month lease. I believe I was recently told that the Chrysler residual on a 2007 Commander for a 24 month lease is .52 or 52% of the MSRP.

The longer you lease the vehicle, the more it depreciates and hence, the more you pay overall.

Sales tax is calculated based on the purchase price and you pay for these in increments along with your lease payment each month (i.e., it would be incorporated in the $487/month).

So, the price after the $2500 discount is $32165. Take out your trade in of $2700 ($17500-14800) and the price is $29465. Your payments of $487 per month for 39 months total $18993. That means the residual value is $10472 or 30% of the MSRP. This sounds about right for such a lengthy lease. If you shorten the lease to say 24, 27, or 36 months, your payment will be lower since more of the value of the vehicle will be left over (higher residual).

Other notes:

- Mileage: the higher the miles you purchase, the lower the residual. Consider the mileage you buy in terms of the vehicle's expected daily drive. For example, 12,000 miles is only 32 miles per day for a month. If you don't use the miles at the end of the lease, they do not refund anything for the unused portion. If you go over the limit, what you pay is something like .15 per mile. So, let's say you go over by 10,000 miles, you'll owe $1500. For most people, that's a lot of $$$. However, if, at the end of the lease, you release with the same OEM (Chrysler in this case), they may forgive this little oversight (they did for me on a Dodge Durango). Leasing is the best option, relative to buying a new car, if you stay under the mileage limit.

- Term: you may want to rethink the 39 month lease. I suspect you may want something new again after only 24 or 27 months. Its nice to have a new vehicle every two years and the only money out of pocket to you is the sales tax.

- Down payment: again, keep it $0 or very small. You'd lose that money in the event the vehicle is totaled in a accident.

- Point of reference: I have a 2004 Dodge Durango lease. The terms were 36 months with 12,000 miles and the price was $32000. I put $2500 down and my monthly payment is $393 per month. I believe the interest rates (money factors) are slightly higher for Commanders since Chrysler deems them a near-luxury vehicle.
  • Options
    One more thing, based on what you said above, on the quote for the lease they show the residual as $16292.55 not $10472 as you stated? Why is their's different from what you are calculating? Again here is what they gave me:

MSRP $34665
    15K miles
    Trade In : $17500
    Owe : $14800
    No cash down
    39 month lease
    38 payments @ $487
    Residual $16292.55
    .15 mile overage charge
    includes sales tax
  • Options
    You're welcome, happymom2. $700 under dealer invoice minus the dealer cash is a very good deal on this truck. The only thing that I would do before committing to lease the 2006 model would be to get a quote on a similar lease of a 2007 model for the sake of comparison. The '07 Commander's lease program is so much more attractive than the '06 model's program right now it would be interesting to see what the difference in their monthly payments are.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • Options
    Hey jdpancer. I need this truck's MSRP to calculate a lease payment on it for you. Let me know what it is and I'll be glad to crunch some numbers for you.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • Options
    Thanks kellim. I'm glad that you find my posts so helpful. The selling price that you were quoted for this truck is very attractive. It's always nice to be able to purchase one's vehicle through a manufacturer's employee purchase program ;) . I doubt that you will be able to get it for less than this. DaimlerChrysler is no longer providing lease support on 2006 models. As a result, if you were to lease one through Chrysler Financial right now, you would have to use its standard lease program. Chrysler Financial's current buy rate standard lease money factor is .00332 for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier. Make sure that this is the money factor that is being used to calculate your truck's lease payment and you're in business.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • Options
    Hello jason16fsh. I would be happy to estimate what this truck's monthly payment should be for you. Unfortunately, in order for me to do so I need you to provide me with its full MSRP. Let me know and I'll crunch some numbers.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • Options
    Hi triesen. this truck's lease program will vary depending upon the length of the lease that you want and its mileage allowance. For now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. Chrysler Financial's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Jeep Commander Limited 2WD with the 5.7L Hemi engine and with 15,000 miles per year are .00185 and 50%, respectively. When negotiating your lease on this truck, make sure to take the $2,500 lease cash that is currently available on it into account. It will help you to negotiate an attractive capitalized cost.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • Options
    Hi tleray. You never mentioned the selling price of the Commander that you are interested in leasing. This is an important number for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing the price of the truck that you want to lease you don't know how good a price you are getting it for. The second reason is that one needs the selling price of a vehicle that they want to lease is that it is necessary to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion of this deal if you let me know what its selling price is.

For now I can tell you that $4,000 is too much money to put down when leasing. Consumers can and should lease any vehicle that they are interested in without making any sort of capitalized cost reduction. I say this because if your leased vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered, your down payment essentially disappears.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • Options
    Hi tleray. Not only should the dealer that you are working with be reducing your truck's selling price by the $2,500 lease cash, they should be providing you with an additional dealer discount on top of it. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. You should be able to negotiate a selling price for this truck that is $500 to $1,000 over dealer invoice, have the $2,500 lease cash subtracted from that, and then have the dealer work up your monthly payment.

I see that you are considering trading in your current vehicle when you lease your new Commander. There's nothing wrong with trading in a car or truck when leasing a new one, but it would be in your best interest to have the dealer that you are working with cut you a check for your trade rather than using the proceeds from it as a down payment for your lease. I always advise consumers not to make large down payments on leased vehicles. Those who make them risk losing them if their leased vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • Options
    Hi - sorry for the delay. Their residual is higher (and I'm sure it is the correct value) because I was only estimating fo the money factor and residual percentage they gave you). I'd follow the guidance of the forum host for the best information.
  • Options
    npitronenpitrone Member Posts: 1
    I am extremely interested in leasing an 07 commander. I looked at a Sport yesterday with a monthly price of 370 a month.. BUT it could get as low as 270 with the E.C. discount.

Does anyone have an E.C. number they can part with? It would be extremely helpful.

Thanks
  • Options
    star13star13 Member Posts: 1
    I am just about ready to lease a 2007 Jeep Commander but am questioning the deal offered.I live on Long Island in NY. The vehicle I am considering is mineral grey 2007 4x4 sport Commander. The sticker price is 30,760 and I qualify for an employee affiliate discount which comes to 1 percent below invoice and includes incentives. The thing is our credit has always been good until the last year where my husband suffered illness and our credit really has taken a tremendous fall.. I currently have 2 chrysler leases and will be turning in a 2003 leased Durango. So I also qualify for the lease loyalty. The deal offered was 319.00 a month with 2000 down for 27 months and a 10.5 mileage allowance. I was never shown the invoice price for the vehicle . When I asked the salesmen said he didn't know it.. I am suspect of whether I am getting a good deal.It is hard to calculate myself since I know my credit is lower tier..I have no idea how much this effects my price. I would have preferred a 39 month lease.. Can you offer an opinion on this please? Thanks!
  • Options
    heyroccoheyrocco Member Posts: 7
    I live in Westchester, NY. My dealership has offered me a lease price of $472/month. I am turning in a 2004 Dodge Durango.........but the lease is not up until July. The invoice price is $29,029, no money down, Chrysler credit $2500, 15K miles/year, lease for 39 months. Is the lease price of $472 a good price..........it seems high to me.
    Also, they gave me these #'s, but I'm not sure what they mean: Pull $1501.40, Cust $1335.20, and EFT $2836.01. Help!

Thanks for you input. :shades:
  • Options
    jakpennjakpenn Member Posts: 20
    Was wondering if factory money is still avaialable on 2006 models? what can you expect to pay? Thanks
  • Options
    tkloostertklooster Member Posts: 2
    I just got a quote for 27500 out the door with 1.9 financing (3 yrs) (or 25000 w/o financing) for a 2WD base model in black. Seems like a good price but I was hoping for 25k and 1.9. Might need to wait for June to see this.
  • Options
    Hi heyrocco. DaimlerChrysler has an early lease termination program, but it only waives lessees' final three payments at no charge. If you try to get out of your current lease more than three months early, you are going to have to pay money out of your own pocket. You may want to consider waiting until you are closer to the scheduled end of your current lease to get something new. I would be happy to give you my opinion on this deal, but in order for me to do so I need you to provide me with this truck's MSRP and selling price. These numbers will show me how much of a discount you are bring given and they will enable mt to use Chrysler Financial's actual lease program to estimate what your monthly payment should be. Let me know and I'll tell you what I think.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • Options
    jakpennjakpenn Member Posts: 20
    TKlooser

was this for a 2006 or 2007 model? thanks
  • Options
    tkloostertklooster Member Posts: 2
    It is a 2007. I'm in Southern California.
  • Options
    bamatide01bamatide01 Member Posts: 5
    Hi. I have never leased before. I am thinking of leasing a 2007 Jeep Commander 4x2 limited with nav, dvd, bluetooth, etc in Birmingham, AL. The sticker MSRP is $41,660. There is currently a $2,500 cash rebate. The car is a dealer demo with 4,999 miles(too convenient??). I am not quite ready to make a decision on a car yet for a week or two. My new Pathfinder was totaled and the insurance is paying it off next week. I love the Pathfinder but I took this bad circumstance as a good opportunity to try another new car out and I would like a lower monthly payment. The salesman gave me a quick quote of $38,600 after demo reduction and $2,500 rebate. I did not want to sit down today and negotiate b/c it would waste there time b/c I will not be able to finanlize it today. The salesman is very understanding and basically said this $38,600 was still negotiable. Is this a fair price? How much should the discount be just for the demo miles? Can you tell me what I should expect for a 39 mo / 18k (if available) lease on this vehicle. I do not want to put much down (maybe 1k). What is the current money factor, residual, etc. that would be helpful to calculate all my options? I am a finance guy so I understand the calcs and the pros and cons of leasing but I need this info and some input from you to help me make a decision.

Thanks!!!!!
  • Options
    uffllaauffllaa Member Posts: 16
    I looked today at a limited loaded with a hemi navi backup camera sticker was just over 39k
    im swaping a pacifica lease (chrysler financial) so would probably be entitled to lease loyalty, if they're offering anything this month. id like to put down as little as possible.
    any idea where my payment should be for 36 months
    im willing to do shorter if there is a good program available.
    thxs
  • Options
    msrp is $41025 (limited 4x2 with nav - saddle brown seats ...). They offered the car to me for what they claim to be invoice - $37961 - less 2500 cash less 1500 lease loyalty, since im currently a chrysler financial customer, plus tax tag and dealer fee

15k miles and said 39 mo was the best program currently
    with 1k at inception - monthly pay was $524.70 plus tax = $558.81 What do you think?

seems a little high to me - my 06 durango stickered at 41k and im paying closer to $475/mo (same terms)
  • Options
    said the residual was 49% and the money factor used to figure the payment was .00224
This discussion has been closed.