Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Commander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited May 2014 in Jeep
Share your Commander purchase experience here.

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Ask your lease questions here!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• assangbidassangbid Member Posts: 13
    Hi, I don't know where I can ask questions about Jeep Commander lease. I'll do it here. I would like to know the current lease program, like money factor, residual value, for the new Jeep Commander? I'm interested in getting a LTD HEMI fully loaded. I went to a dealer today and they told me the money factor is 0.00219 and residual value is 52% for a 39 mos/12K lease. However, they are saying the monthly payment would be almost $750/mo as they have a markup on the jeep and the asking price will be $53000. I just smiled and politely walked away.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi assangbid. Through January 9th, if you were to lease a 2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4WD through Chrysler Financial for 39 months with 12,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00219 and 55%, respectively. When negotiating a lease on this truck, keep in mind that DaimlerChrysler is currently providing $1,000 lease cash plus an additional $1,000 bonus for leasing or financing through Chrysler Financial ($2,000 total) on it. This money will help you to negotiate an attractive capitalized cost.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums
  • mr_anton89mr_anton89 Member Posts: 72
    I am looking to get a Commander. Is there anyway to get one with a lease of 39 months or less and a payment of under $300 a month with under $1,000 down? 4x4 is nice, but not a necessity. I am looking to get one for my son. No options are required.
    Thanks,
    mr_anton89
    Hi mr_anton89. You never mentioned the selling price or MSRP of the truck that you are interested in leasing. These are important numbers for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing this truck's selling price in relation to its MSRP you don't know how much of a discount you are getting on it. The second reason is that one needs the selling price and MSRP, including the destination charge, of a vehicle to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to work up a sample lease payment on the Commander that you are interested in for you if you let me know what these numbers are. I also need to know exactly which model you want, i.e Limited 4WD, non-Limited 2WD, etc... Let me know and I will try to give you a ballpark monthly payment.

Hi everyone. Please use the following discussion to post any questions that you have about leasing a Cadillac STS. Thanks.

Car_man
    Host
  • bobc5bobc5 Member Posts: 8
    I am trying to do some homework being this will be my first lease.

There is a vehicle on the lot I would like to figure a sample lease for.

BASE 29,290
    Options:
    Dark Khaki Paint 150
    Trailer Tow Group IV 255
    Quick Order Pkg 28s 1,340
    Rear AC/Heater 610
    Adj Roof Rack 75
    Destination Charge 695
    ===========================
    MSRP 32,415

Edmunds: Invoice 29,766
    What Others Pay 31,193

I'm looking for the information on the 36 month lease 12k and 15k miles. Am I correct in assuming that I should be able to get a little closer to invoice than "what others pay" price? For the sake of argument use the 31,193 and 0 down.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Welcome bobc5. Since you are new to the world of leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

I think that your assumption that you should be able to get a lower selling price than the "What Others Pay" price (Edmunds.com TMV) is very safe. I've found that Edmunds.com's TMV can usually be beaten fairly easily by smart shoppers who live in an area where there is a decent level of competition for their business. Also, when negotiating your lease on this truck, don't forget that DaimlerChrysler is providing $1,000 lease cash plus $1,000 bonus cash ($2,000 total) on it right now. These incentives will help you to negotiate an attractive capitalized cost.

If you were to lease a base 2006 Jeep Commander 4WD (not the Limited model) through DaimlerChrysler financial Services right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00196 and 53%, respectively. The money factor for a lease with only 12,000 miles per year would be the same, but the residual value would be 2% higher. You can plug these numbers and the selling price that you negotiate into the lease payment formula that is out lined in the aforementioned articles to estimate what your lease payment should be on this truck.

Car_man
    Host
  • hockeymom1hockeymom1 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at leasing a 2006 Commander with 40,000 miles on it. How can I determine if I am getting the best deal on a used lease? The MSRP is 32310.00 and the sales price is 27799.00. I'm just not sure that is a fair price for a used vehicle (also driven by a smoker, which I am not).
  • fire123fire123 Member Posts: 1
    I am getting conflicting residual and money factor on Jeep Grand Cherokee Leases. I'm looking for a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee X package w/ bluetooth 12k/ 36 months. Just 1st months payment and ny dmv. I have received offers anywhere from 427 - 387.00. I think 375.00
    MSRP-33,925
    Neg price - 32,100
    Discounts - 4,500
    Adj. price - 27,600
    Residual 52%
    money factor - .00156 - Quoted 416 then dealer when to 400
  • vogelgatorvogelgator Member Posts: 3
    We went to a dealer (in NY State) and received a lease quote of $509/month with $2,500 down for a Limited 4x4 Commander with 5.7 Hemi. It included a rear entertainment center, sirius radio and upgraded color to Inferno red with saddle brown leather. Everything else was pretty much standard in the Limited vehicle. The term of the lease was 27 months, 12k miles/year. I think he used a price of $40,840 to calculate the payment. What do you think? He didn't tell us of any discounts available from manufacturer, but I guess he could have built them in. What is the free gas all about? I saw it on a posting by someone. Thank you.
  • rdtrdt Member Posts: 3
    car man thanks for helping all of us to understand leasing. here is the deal that has been offered for commander limited lease. msrp=39088, cap cost=32656, residual=23062(59%), money factor=.00186. no money out of pocket at signing. they state 511.54 plus tax for 27 months. also 12000 miles a year. my calculations ended up equaling 458 plus tax per month. am i wrong ? and does 59 percent residual seem low for 27 month lease? thanks for your help
    Hi hockeymom1. Let me begin by saying that leases on used vehicles are often not as good a deal as one would initially think. That is because manufacturers provide lease support on new vehicles to encourage consumers to purchase their product, this sort of support is usually not available on leases of used vehicles. Compare how much it would cost you to lease an equivalent brand new Jeep Commander to the cost of leasing the used one that you are interested in. You may be surprised and the new Commander will end up being the better deal, especially once you take the mileage and smoking factors into account.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi fire123. This would be a better question for the following discussion: "Jeep Grand Cherokee: Lease Questions". Please post it in that section of this forum and I'll be happy to answer any questions that you have. Thanks.

Car_man
    Host
    Greetings vogelgator. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion on the lease that you were quoted. However, in order for me to do so I need some additional information form you first. Specifically, I need to know this truck's full MSRP (with the destination charge added in) and if the price that you mentioned is indeed its actual selling price. Once I have this info, I'll let you know what I think. DaimlerChrysler is no longer running the "Miles of Freedom" promotion that provided free gas. Instead, in February it is providing $2,000 lease cash on the '06 Commander. Make sure to take this cash into account when negotiating this truck's capitalized cost.

Car_man
    Host
    You're very welcome, rdt. The lease money factor and residual value that you were quoted to lease the truck that you are interested in appear to be in line with Chrysler Financial's current lease program for it. This is always a good thing. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2006 Jeep Commander with an MSRP of $39,088, an capitalized cost of $32,656, a money factor of .00186, and a residual value of 59% through Chrysler Financial right now for 27 months, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $458.97. As you can see, your calculations are correct and something is up with the dealer's Perhaps they are rolling Chrysler Financial's $700 lease acquisition fee into your truck's capitalized cost. Even then though it would only increase the pre-tax payment for the aforementioned lease to around $486.20. I would want to know why the payment that the dealer came up with is so much higher if I was in your situation. Something does not add up.

Car_man
    Host
    thanks for reply car man. i did check into the reason the lease is so much higher than 458.97. they told me that in that payment of 518, it was 511, is included a 700 lease acquisition fee + another 785 (for 1st mth payment 554.72, doc fee75.00, sales tax 90.30, title, license, and reg. fee of 65.00). total mthly payment with 7% tax = 554.72 for 27 mths 12000 miles a year. what do you think?
    car_man, check this lease out. 06 commander limited, 15000 miles a year. msrp of 39,100. 27 mths , 500 at signing, price per mth of 509 including tax. the numbers cap cost around 34500, money factor .00159, residual 23500. i cant figure out how it is 509 including 7% sales tax. seems cheaper than it should be. what do you think?
    thanks for your advise
  • misheilmisheil Member Posts: 5
    Car man: HELPPPP!!! This is what Jeep is offering via lease. I have tried to use the lease calculator and CANNOT come up with the same monthly payment. They gave me 2 options 27 month lease versus 36 month lease. Residual for 27 month is $25,300 and 36 month is $22,800. $2,500 down for either options. He said my monthly payment for either option is $499/month. The $499 included taxes, title, and registration for 4 years. Since I didn't understand how leasing works, I did not ask what MSRP price was for a lease. (I was also negotiating a purchase option just to see which option lease or purchase was better. The negotiated purchase price was at $38,500 - includes quadra drive/tow package/off road package/navigational option). Anyways, I went into the lease calculator and I can't seem to come up with the $499/month price. Could you please help me understand how to calculate the costs? I don't know to take into account the money factor. What is that???? I need to understand the process in order to do quick calculations while I am at the dealer on Monday. If you could help me out that would be so wonderful. Dealer is in NJ - In Summit. Thanks much in advance for your help.
    You're welcome, rdt. The fact that you are rolling all of those fees into your truck's capitalized cost and that its lease payment includes tax certainly makes up for a lot of the difference in payments. I still think that the payment that the dealer quoted you is a little on the high side.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey rdt. DaimlerChrysler Financial's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month, 15,000 mile per year lease of a 2006 Commander Limited 4WD are .00136 and 60%, respectively (I have not seen its 27 month lease program). Using these numbers, an MSRP of $39,100, and a selling price of $34,500, I estimate that this truck should have a zero down, pre-tax monthly payment of around $539. As you can see, the payment that you were quoted looks pretty good.

Car_man
    Host
    Greetings misheil. Since you are new to the world of leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment. These articles will answer any general questions that you have about leasing. Once you have read them, stop back and I will be happy to answer any specific questions that you have.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi Car-Man:

Thanks, I did go to those two sites and read up on leases. But, with the 0%APR specials right now, I went with buying a car.

Thanks so much. I learned a lot from your responses to the other customers.

I have some questions regarding car liners for my new commander - could you answer them in this forum? If not, could you please redirect me?

Thanks much,

Misheil
  • srt8fansrt8fan Member Posts: 24
    Is there such a vehicle on its way? Does anyone have pics?

--
    SRT8Fan
    Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Pics
  • asw1asw1 Member Posts: 18
    I was at a Jeep dealer this weekend and for a 36 month 12,000 mile lease on a commander was quoted a money factor of .00192 and a residual of 54%. Are these numbers the best Chrysler is offering right now?
    Hi Car-Man:

I kept my paperwork and this is the info I have on leases.

On a 36 month lease, they were offering a money factor of .00192 and residual of 52%

On a 27 month lease, they were offering a money factor of .001360 and residual value of 59%

Believe me - I was at the dealer for a couple of hours negotiating AND had a second dealer also negotiating with me. So, for me anyways, this was the best deal.

Do you have some info on cargo liners for the commander? I need a liner that will cover up the entire cargo space - including when the 2nd row seats are down. I have a lab and need the space, but need a cargo liner.

Thanks much.
    Misheil:

Thanks for the info -

I am being quoted 54% and .00192 on a pretty loaded Commander Limited w/5.7 Hemi (I think the 2% is coming from the milage -- I am looking at a 12,000 mile per year lease, not a 15,000).

Here is the entire deal -

MSRP - $43,475
    Gross Cap Cost - $40,253
    - $2,000 in leasing incentives
    - $1,000 coupon sent to me by Chrysler as targeted marketing (I have a Lexus GX470 lease about to terminate)

Net CAP Cost - $37,253

Lease comes to $567 all in with nothing down .

I think the price is low enough to dump my Lexus (which I have never really loved). Any problems with the Jeep I should worry about before pulling the trigger (I still have time to stay with Lexus)?

Any idea what running boards should cost?
    Hi:

Couple of MINOR problems/issues:

1.) Sirius Radio. We get a year free service with our Commander. Sirius was jacking me around - all is good now, but after I got ticked off at them. But, be on them. Ask for your user id and password up front/go on line print out your account balance which should be $0

2.) Took the Commander to a car wash. The guys couldn't unscrew the antenna. Had to drive through the wash (was not touch free-but they use a safe material on their brushes)with the antenna flopping around. I seriously thought it was going to break off or crack something. But, it was ok. I called the dealer/parts/service and they said I need a wrench to unscrew it. That's a pain in the rear. I haven't tried it yet, but I'll have to soon.

3.) I have been looking for a cargo liner that covers the entire cargo area INCLUDING when I lower the 2nd row seats. Can't find them anywhere. The dealer said it's such a new vehicle that they haven't created one for it yet.

But, as you can see, they are all minor things. The Commander is great. Get rid of the Lexus - leave the dark side and come to the light.

Running boards through Mopar run about $425. Go to www.autoanything.com and running boards for Jeeps run from $150-$240.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Misheil
    Misheil:

Thanks -

Picking up the JC tomorrow.

Loaded hemi -- List $43,000+, selling price $40,200, less $3,000 in incentives - Cap cost $37,200 - lease price $504 plus tax ($544 all in).

Running board are $500 installed (got tired of negotiating it).
  • christiandschristiands Member Posts: 36
    Just thought I would make a quick post. I don't have all the details of my lease, but the major points are as follows:

MSRP: $38250 (Base Commander, U Pkg, Nav, V8, Uconnect, + etc)

Sell Price: $30,800(approx)

Lease: 36 months/20k miles per year (I needed high mileage for business purpose, actually 27 mos lease was less)

Price: $448.00/month including tax (MI 6%) $0 due, Sign and Drive

I used a friends DaimlerChrysler Employee Choice # for discount plus $3,000 incentive, plus dealer added additional discount I assume due to special programs on Commander in Detroit area.

Thought I would let you know that there are some really good leases to be had. FYI, load up a base Commander and it is much better value and you don't have to deal with the chrome "roll handles" on the back!!
    You're very welcome, misheil. 0% financing is tough to beat. I think that you made a wise choice, especially considering the fact that DaimlerChrysler didn't bring back 0% for the month of April. This really isn't the place for questions about accessories for your new Commander. Try posting them here: "Jeep Commander". Enjoy your new truck!

Car_man
    Host
    Hi asw1. If you were to lease a 2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4WD through Chrysler Financial right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00269 and 55%, respectively. When negotiating your lease on this truck, keep in mind that DaimlerChrysler is currently providing $2,000 lease cash plus an additional $1,000 bonus for deals through Chrysler Financial on it.

Car_man
    Host
  • jaguar325jaguar325 Member Posts: 2
    Car Man, you're.. well.. the man! could you help me confirm a lease deal I was quoted today? With options, the MSRP is $43,445 and the EP price quoted was $35,976. They said this included the $2,500 rebate which I would get if I lease but not get if I go with 0% financing. Before I get into the nitty gritty detail on comparing those two options, I want to make sure I am getting the best lease deal possible. The monthly rate quoted was $568 for a 39-month, 15K miles/year lease where I would have to pay $1,133 as a "first payment". Does this sound aggressive to you or should there be more room in the rate? (I am not exactly sure how to calculate the money rate).

Thanks!
    Thanks jaguar325 :blush: . Let's work up a lease payment on this truck using Chrysler Financial's actual lease program and see what we come up with. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2006 Jeep Commander non-Limited 4WD (this is an assumption, let me know if you want a different truck because it will make a difference) with an MSRP of $43,445 and a selling price of $35,976 through Chrysler Financial right now for 39 months with 15,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $468. This is a lot lower than the payment that you were quoted. I assume that your payment includes sales tax. This would make up for some, but not all of the difference. Perhaps the dealer that you are working with is marking up your truck's money factor. Make sure that Chrysler Financial's buy rate money factor of .00159 is being used to calculate your truck's lease payment.

Car_man
    Host
  • jaguar325jaguar325 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your reply. This was, in fact, a Limited. Yes, it did include state sales tax (6.5% on the entire car). The amount out of pocket was estmated to be about $1,000.
  • rik4rik4 Member Posts: 90
    i got 5000 off . on 65th anniversay edition. also you get no charge for the moon roof and sky view roofs. got mud flaps thrown in too. great deal. love the lt khaki colour too. also got much better trade than at a toy dealer . love the car.
  • budman163budman163 Member Posts: 2
    How much above or below invoice are ya'll paying?
    my list was 31,100 and i paid 26,100 plus tax.
  • tdenton1138tdenton1138 Member Posts: 1
    Hey Car Man! Long time lurker here... second time lessee. The first time I knew nothing and don't think I did very well. I've now read "10 Steps to Leasing..." and played with the Calculator and still find myself feeling unsure of how to proceed. I picked up my last car - Ford Expedition - via Cars Direct at a very good price out of Las Vegas, but think I got ripped on the lease. Now I am looking again at Cars Direct for getting the car, but think I may have a hard time negotiating lease terms assuming the car turns out to be in another town or state.

2006 Commander Limited, 4x4, 5.7 Hemi and tow package. MSRP $40,850. Cars Direct target price $35,781 after $2,500 rebate. Local dealer offered the car to me at $37,425 and a 36 mo lease, 15k/yr for around $720/mo. Plus a first payment/registration fee. I said, "Say what?"

Update: Just got a call back from the local dealer who quoted me $36,244 now... waiting now for lease info update.

I guess I'm not even sure what advice to ask for at this point, but I need to make something happen in the next 10 days or so and would look to you for any guidance you might be able to give.

Thanks for any input you can give me!

Tad

UPDATE:

MSRP $40,925

27 mo lease @ 15k/yr: CAP $36,244. Money factor .00230. Residual 58% + $700 acquisition fee. $640.30/mo + tax. The calculator on this site says it should be $603.21 + tax w/ $650 security deposit(?)

36 mo lease @ 15k/yr: CAP $36,244. Money factor .00230. Residual 51% + $700 acquisition fee. $586.67/mo + tax. The calculator now tells me $562.63 + tax w/$600 security deposit.
  • arthurkingarthurking Member Posts: 9
    Some of my local dealers constantly advertised leasing deals on 2006 Commander 4X4 at $129-159 monthly payment with zero down for a 27-month term. Obviously it is too good to be true. Are these just their tricks to lure you to visit their stores?
    By the way, for a base style of 2006 Jeep Commander 4WD, what kind of deals can be considered as good?
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    NO trick, the down payment + fee's and 1st month payment would be around 5-6K.... Remember, the down payment helps lower your payments. :P
    You're very welcome, jaguar325.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forums
    Wow, tdenton1138, $720 a month to lease a Jeep. YIKES :surprise: . The money factor that you were quoted to lease this truck is too high. Chrysler Financial's current buy rate lease money factor for a 30 month lease of an '06 Jeep Commander Limited 4WD is only .00150. Using its current base lease program, an MSRP of $40,925, and a selling price of $36,244, I estimate that its 30 month, 15,000 mile per year, zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $559. The payment for an otherwise identical 36 month lease (money factor: .00150 / residual: 50%) should be $524. Make sure that this truck's payments are more in line with the numbers that I came up with.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forums
    Hi arthurking. Most dealers advertise monthly payments that are as low as possible to lure customers into their showrooms. Take a look at the fine print for the $150 a month payment that you saw. It most likely either assumes that you qualify for some sort of obscure incentives like a $500 bonus for recent college grads plus a $500 military bonus plus etc... or make a huge down payment. The truth about unbelievably low advertised payments is usually in the fine print.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forums
  • arthurkingarthurking Member Posts: 9
    But I checked the fine prints. Here is what it says:
    Lease: start-up fee includes amount due + 1st payment,tax, title, plates, dest. & doc., rebates and upfront fees plus tax. And also, it says $0 downpayment.
    after july 1st you get employee discount and o% interest also. so wait and get a great deal.
  • budman163budman163 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the feedback. I read this weekend that they were going to bring back employee pricing, but did not see anything about employee pricing and 0% interest too. Also, how good is employee pricing, really? Above, at, or below invoice, and how much?

Thanks
  • radfordjradfordj Member Posts: 1
    Chrysler/Jeep Dealership is quoting me .0029 money factor for 36 month lease. How can I confirm lower rates that you assert are available from Chrysler/Jeep?
  • doug33doug33 Member Posts: 5
    After looking at commanders since they came out I was trying to find a way to get my payments under $450.oo
    Well with the employee pricing (began July 1st),overstock discount(ended july 5),% rate or $2000.oo.I was able to get the price that would work for me.
    I bought a base model w/ dark khaki w/ v8 and tow.
    MSRP $31730.00
    E.p.- $3423.00
    overstk- $2000.00
    % rate - 2000.00
    discount- $7423.00
    final price $24307.00

I bought at branhaven jeep at it was a no hassel deal.
    I am however waiting to see if I can also combine the
    $500.00 military discount.
    that would bring the price to $23807.00
    Note
    This deal was only good july 1st thru the 5th.
    I belive the overstock dicount has ended. :D:D:D
    Hi radfordj. Chrysler Financial's new July 36 month buy rate lease money factors for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier are .00203 for 2006 Jeep Commander 2WD and .00196 for Commander 4WD models. I am not aware of any source that provides information on manufacturers' actual lease programs to the general public, but I am positive that the numbers that I just mentioned are correct. If the dealer that you are working with won't let lease this truck using its buy rate money factor, shop around I am sure that you won't have much trouble finding one that will.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forums
  • jonesy9jonesy9 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car_Man,

Is the July money factor different for a 39 month lease vs. the 36 month figure quoted above? I am being quoted a "rate" of 6% for a 4WD model, which I assume is equal to a money factor of .00500?

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.