Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Astro: Trailer Hitches

moe15moe15 Member Posts: 1
I have a seven pin conecton for my trailer and would like to wire my Atro 1997 to pull it. Where can I get step by step instruction to do the wireing install my self

thanks Moe15

Comments

• bigjattbigjatt Member Posts: 5
    I just purchased a 1999 RX300 and have a hitch receiver installed. I need to wire the trailer lights etc via the pigtail on the trailer. The trailer has two break/tail lights and four little side "orange lights". I know the RX does not have a buiilt in harness to tap into. Could some one direct me to a source for the parts and wiring instructions to connect a trailer to the 1999 RX 300. I am pretty handy with electiral and mechanical work so would like to do it my self. Thanks in advance

:confuse:
  • joshdamonsjoshdamons Member Posts: 1
    We are attaching a trailer to our astro that came without a towing package, we have installed all the hitch stuff, and the trailer is ready with a flat 4 pin plug. The van has a bundle of wires that comes out to the jack storage area, but there is no plug at the end of the wires. The colors are different from the plug, or I would go ahead and splice it. There are about 7 wires coming from the astro... which 4 are the right ones? If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.
  • gmastergmaster Member Posts: 10
    Anyone know if the 2007 Avalanche comes with a transmission cooler. I looked under the hood of one and it looks like it has the connections from the radiator to the tranny area, but did not get a close look. It comes with a hitch and most vehicle sold with a towing package do have the cooler. Anyone know for sure or do you have to have one installed. Also, what about a break controller?
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    gmaster, the best place to ask your question is in the Chevy Avalanche Groups. There's a discussion there about the 2007 model, as well as one about trailer hitches.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

Anyone know if the 2007 Avalanche comes with a transmission cooler. I looked under the hood of one and it looks like it has the connections from the radiator to the tranny area, but did not get a close look. It comes with a hitch and most vehicle sold with a towing package do have the cooler. Anyone know for sure or do you have to have one installed. Also, what about a break controller?
    gmaster, see my reply to your first post about this above.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Anyone using in Chevy Products. I have a 2007 Avalanche.
    gmaster, this is the Chevy Astro discussion. I see that you've already found the Chevy Avalanche: Accessories & Modifications discussion -- that's where you should post your question.

• ceetee25ceetee25 Member Posts: 2
    Mine is even worse I have no pre -cabled package and the place it should be (Jack housing) is not there either. I have the Brougham conversion so everywhere is covered.Anyone got the same?
  • ordonezordonez Member Posts: 1
    Hello all. I have a 2004 chevy astro. Does anybody know how to run the trailer wiring from the inside jack housing to the outside and under the van? Going to install the car end trailer plug right beside the hitch but not sure how to bring the wires from inside to the ouside. Thanks.
  • cobcob Member Posts: 210
    I have the 7 pin connector with trailer brakes which stay inside the van until I tow the trailer. Then I open the right back door and run the wire between the 2 doors and shut the door over the wire (it does not damage the wires been doing it for 4 years now). This keeps the wire harness and connector out of the elements the 90% of the time it is not used. I don't worry about the weather corroding the connectors.
  • spike99spike99 Member Posts: 239

Hi there (re: #11 of 13 Trailer Wiring Question by ordonez Mar 16, 2007).

I have a 2001 AWD Safari and installed my own Class III hitch, and installed my own 7-pin connector wiring. Before I answer your question, here's something else to consider.

The normal 7-pin connector and the wires that one adds themselves often "rust out" over time. Even if you load the area with TAR and keep it well protected from the elements, the wire contacts within the 7-Pin connector will eventually get shorts. For me, I visited my local RV Dealer. He sold me 15 feet to "factory molded" 7-pin connector with attached pig tail wiring. Its the same wiring they sometimes install in the back of some Pickups - for onboard campers. If you can, buy that factory molded / factory pressed pig tail wiring cabling - like I did. It's a little more expensive but near impossible the back of the 7-pin connections will rust out. Worked great for me.

To run the wiring from the van's JACK area to the outer rear bumper area, I used my air compressor and my air chissel. Using this tool, I created a hole approx 1" across. Here's the trick. Find an old "thick" garden hose approx 6 feet long and slide the 7-pin wiring pig-tail in this garden hose. Then, slide the garden hose protected wiring upwards - into the jack area. Apply a Plastic pull-tie at the top of the hole - around the garden hose. Apply a Plastic pull-tie at the bottom of the hole - around the garden hose. This stops the garden hose from sliding up/down in the hole. Using an applicator, apply tar around the top of the hole and around the bottom of the hole - from under the van. This tar stops any possible exhaust fumes coming back into the vehicle. Connect the wires, twist tie the rest of the wires, etc. All done. Some folks like using large rubber gromets but for me, I like using a large garden hose "wire sleeve" instead.

If you want, I'll take a few pictures and post them. Sometimes, a picture is worth 1,000 words. Especially when trying to explain something like this.

Hope this helps...

• keicokeico Member Posts: 4
    I have the Quick-Connect Trailer-Wiring Harness
    7-Way Adapter bought from uhaul. Is there anyone that has step by step instructions on how to install. I have a 1999 chevy astro van
  • cabsmancabsman Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE THE WIRES IN THE JACK STORAGE AREA BUT THE TAG IS NOT READABLE AS TO WHAT COLOR GOES WHERE AND I DON'T HAVE AN OWNER'S MANUAL. CAN SOMEONE HELP IDENTIFY THE COLORS FOR ME?
  • teal96teal96 Member Posts: 2
    7 pin??? ok,, well, pop open the panel where your jack is hidden, in there you should see a wireing harness, it has instructions on it,, read them,,,,you will need to drill a hole to push it out the bottom.

Brown is Marker
    DARK Green is right turn
    Yellow is left turn
    Large white is ground,
    Should be all you need for a boat.
  • smash591smash591 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 95 Chevy Astro without the aforementioned wiring harness. I need help locating the appropriate wires to splice onto in order to hard wire a trailer connector to this van. Any help will be appreciated.

I checked the major trailer manufactures and no one makes an easy wiring connector for this van. Argh! :(
  • hlrjmulderhlrjmulder Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    I have a 99 Astro and does anyone know if there is a plug to plug a trailer brake controller into or do I just have to splice wires. Don't like to if don't have to.
  • spike99spike99 Member Posts: 239
    I did have a 2001 Safari AWD a few years ago. During its days, I used to pull a 21ft TT with it. Thus, it too needed an onboard brake controller with 7 pin connector on its rear hitch.

For my preivous van, I connected its 7 Pins "lights" wires to the van's rear light wires - located behind its spare tire area. These wires had to be spliced in - after confirming different wire colors with an pen light tester.

For my van's onboard brake controller, I had to install a double insulated 2 x 10 guage 12V wire under my van. One wire for its brake controller wire and its other wire for 12V "+" fused wire. For a visual of this double insulated 10 guard wire, surf: http://www.etrailer.com/p-10-2-1/Jacketed-2-Wire-10-Gauge-Brake-Wire---per-Foot.- html

Hope this helps - with your GM van....

• rhengererrhengerer Member Posts: 1
    There is a orange #10 wire that comes from the trailer harness to the area under the brake pedel. This orange wire has a female quick connect on it and it's intended to be pluged in somewhere in the area of the brake pedel. I cannot find where to plug it in. Ther's a 30 amp fuse dedicated for this circut, that fuse is located under the hood. Where does this wire hook to. I want to use it to run a winch on my trailer.

Rhengerer@hotmail.com
  • crappiemikecrappiemike Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 astro conversion. (gulf stream). I opened the tail lite to access the wires. there is no jack housing in this van so I had to tap into the wires at the tail lite. I needed to open the wood paneling at the area to feed the trailer hook up. I am just wiring for a 4 prong so it was easy to pass it under tail gate. If you are hooking up the 7 prong i am not sure where you are going to attach that.
  • pastorbarhorstpastorbarhorst Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2015
    I have a 2001 Chevy Astro Van It's our Church Missions' van. I installed a trailer hitch and now installing the light system for the trailer. I have a wireless magnetic trailer led light system. I found the wires at the rear of the van under the roof cover on the drivers side. I took the cover off the harness to see the wires. Every wire for the rear lights have two of the same color for the 4 pin plug I am installing White, Green, Brown, Yellow. After I installed it, only the turn signals work, no brake lights or running lights. Can some one help me? My cell is [Phone number removed] I can take a photo and upload it if needed.