Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda3 Accessories and Modifications

2»

Comments

• Options
    bingo4bingo4 Member Posts: 1
    Hey all

Im new to the car thing and have recently Got my self a 2004 Mazda 3 ts 1.6L and want a bit more Ummph

Firstly can you fit a turbo to the engine of a 1.6 and if u can what sort ??

Secondly is i worth is ? how much more power / 0-60 time would i get??

Thanks for reading Hope to hear back from some one that knows morew about this sorta stuff than me !!..
  • Options
    ayoda5ayoda5 Member Posts: 4
    I would like to put new speakers into the front door of my new 2008 3s Hatchback. My car has the side curtain airbags. My question is: anyone know if the airbags are in any part of the door, and would any issues arise when I take the door off to install the speakers. I know I am probably being overly cautious on this, but I just dont want to do something stupid which may affect the airbags.

Any help of this matter, or just an affirmation from someone who has already done this would be appreciated.

Also, what are the size of the speakers 5 x 7 or 6 x 8?

Thanks
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    I'd check with Crutchfield.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    scwmcanscwmcan Member Posts: 399
    The side curtain airbags are in the roof, the side airbags are in the seats (90%) sure. I am not sure if the sensors would be in the door or not (I would assume not though), no idea on the size of the speakers though..
    Scott
  • Options
    tomkozskitomkozski Member Posts: 39
    I have a 2006 3i sedan with side air bags, and I swapped out my speakers. I would think not much is different with a 2008 hatch. You have to remove the door panel to change the speakers. Only issue really is to remember to disconnect the power locks and power windows harnesses as you take off the panel. When taking off the panel, do it slowly so as not to break any of the plastic clips (they're cheap to replace though). Size is 6 x 8.
  • Options
    tomjones75tomjones75 Member Posts: 5
    if you have the bose sound system I would forget it, the bose speakers are less resistance than aftermarket, you would actually have to replace the whole sound system. You should have no problem with replacing the speaker if you don't. I recommend NOT probing any orange or yellow wire that goes to a yellow plug, that's usually the airbag wire. You will have to remove the door and to the best of my knowledge they are round speakers, 6" I believe... if it is actually 6x8 I would look for a plate to convert to 6" round, square speakers have horrible sound quality
  • Options
    mommacatmommacat Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if you can get a hitch bike rack for a Mazda 3 5 door? Any good ones out there? Since you aren't really supposed to tow with a Mazda 3 do you think it's ok?
  • Options
    rulprulp Member Posts: 9
    For those interested: 2.3l '04 manual. I have installed the AEM CAI with very noticeable 3rd gear power and torque improvement. Nice intake howl. Difficult to remove stock system, easy to install AEM. Difficult filter access - use KN filter sock. No codes or problems. FOLLOW DIRECTIONS! AEM passed NYS inspection at Mazda dealer. Usual 32 MPG hwy. Just installed at same Mazda dealer the Magnaflow cat-back exhaust. Even more fun! Nice muted deep sound that never gets harsh or raspy. Can no longer hear intake howl - a minus. Gets
    attention from euro test pilots with cars costing twice as much. (try toting a marble-top dresser in your rig pal!) 33 MPG hwy. More cockpit noise at cruise speed as expected, but only noticeable with audio off. Total cost of both systems and installation around $800.00. Way more fun on regular gas and no penalty in fuel economy! Highly recommended!
  • Options
    mizzoumazdamizzoumazda Member Posts: 17
    I am having a hard time adjusting to the sticky plastic steering wheel of my Mazda3i 2008 Touring. Any advice on the wisdom of trying to get some leather onto it?
  • Options
    wildthingwildthing Member Posts: 25
    I have a 2005 Mazda 3 GT sedan.

I purchased a Garmin Nuvi 760 GPS system and I'm looking for suggestions as to where I can install the mount for a clean looking installation.

I already have an XM Sat radio installed where the little storage compartment was under the airbag light/12 v power port was located. I had a local accessories car shop fabricate a piece of plastic that resembled he black panel that was there. They pulled the little storage compartment out, installed the sat radio antenna and power connections behind this panel, reinstalled the 12v port to the fabricated panel and connected the fabricated panel to the car to present a nice clean looking sat radio installation.

I'm looking to do something similar for my GPS but dashboard real estate is an issue. I don't want to use the glass or dashboard connection that comes with the unit...traiiling wires all over the place is just ugly. I also don't want anything connected to or blocking my air vents.

Anyone have any suggestions on possible locations...??.. One possibility is the space between the two tuning buttons...not sure what's behind there.

Any other locations ??
  • Options
    blackedout3blackedout3 Member Posts: 1
    I'm just wondering if i can turbo my 2007 mazda 3i for under 2 grand and if so what should i get?
  • Options
    dridedride Member Posts: 139
    Has anyone had an aftermarket cd unit installed in their 3? I have the six disk factory, with NO aux input (2005). I am assuming if I went aftermarket, I would lose my steering wheel controls and my clock area would be blank. Can anyone confirm?
  • Options
    tomkozskitomkozski Member Posts: 39
    You don't necessarily have to lose your steering wheel controls. There is adapter (or whatever it's called) that you can buy that will maintain that functionality. As for the clock, I believe you will lose that functionality. For more and better answers regarding aftermarket radios, check out mazda3forums.com. There's a lot of info there, including installation guides, tips, and pictures of various audio modifications.
  • Options
    zoomzoom11zoomzoom11 Member Posts: 1
    Try mazdastuff.com. Lots of cool stuff for 3's.
  • Options
    joem5joem5 Member Posts: 201
    Wife bought a mazda 3I Touring,
    Comes home and tells me a cigarette lighter came with it. So I go back to the dealer and gave him the lighter and he gave me a plug for the hole.
    I bring the car home thinking she would be happy,but no" The plug had a red line
    through burning cigarette ,so I'm in the doghouse or on the couch again. My Acura has a snap on cover. Does anyone know whereI can puchase such a thing.
    I have been all over the web to buy a 12 volt cover or plain plug. I tried Walmart, Best Buy,Napa ,VIP :sick:
  • Options
    joem5joem5 Member Posts: 201
    I had the same problem. I tried disk mount on driver side dash,no good,worked well on cup holder and there is a mount that goes down the cup holder.
    What i did was go Garminshop.com and buy the bean bag you can twist or slide your Nuvi in works great no marks,tape,glue and move it from car to car.Fits any where even o sloping dash. :shades:
  • Options
    06mazda3s06mazda3s Member Posts: 7
    You could just get a K&N OEM size Replacement filter for like $40, that is what I did.
  • Options
    06mazda3s06mazda3s Member Posts: 7
    I agree with a previous post, my suggestion would be to get the Beanbag from Amazon, I bought mine with my Garmin Nuvi 660. Additionally, you can transport the Garmin GPS into multiple cars and it leaves no indication of being in the car if you put it in your glovebox or under the seat, eliminating theft risk.
  • Options
    wildthingwildthing Member Posts: 25
    actually ended up having my GPS unit installed in the space between the two tuning buttons. I'm quite pleased about...no trailing wires and the installer used the existing 12 v power cable and unit connector. The car's a 2005, so when I sell it or trade it in, I'll leave the GPS unit as part of deal....hoping to hold on to the car for at least 2 - 3 more years so by then I expect Nav systems to be become as common and standard equipment as say car am/fm radios are today.
  • Options
    gretsch6120gretsch6120 Member Posts: 48
    Just moved to New England and looking at installing an engine block heater. Have any of you done this? Any recs? My car will be outside of the garage alot being we have two cars and only a one car garage.

Appreciate it
  • Options
    ylzylz Member Posts: 45
    Hello all. I am purchasing a new Mazda 3 5-door and have a few questions. I really want the factory installed navigation in my car so does anyone know how it works? I know the graphics may be a little outdated but as long as it works effectively, that's what I want. Secondly, I was thinking about purchasing a cold air intake to give my car more power but how will it affect my gas mileage. I mean am I gonna sacrifice 2mpg or more? And the third issue I had was I was thinking about putting the spoiler from the Masdaspeed 3 on my Mazda 3. But my friend says that will also affect my gas mileage a little. Cmon! I mean how much heavier is the other spoiler. And lastly, should I get it in black or metroplolitan grey? Both gorgeous colors. Thanks!
  • Options
    autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    looking at installing an engine block heater
    Good idea. I bought mine from the dealer and had it installed by an independent shop. Consider where in the front you want the plug to hang. Also, a timer is a good idea as you only need to heat the block for an hour or so before departure.
  • Options
    mazdazedmazdazed Member Posts: 34
    The 2009 3i does not have the Hood Insulation that the 3s models have. You can order the hood insulator from your dealer for a 3s along with the 13 push lock pins and it will fit right on to a 3i hood. I don't notice a big reduction in engine noise but protecting the hood from engine heat will help prolong the life of the paint.
  • Options
    howardruhowardru Member Posts: 155
    This just in....

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09E011000

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
    MAZDA / CX-7 2007-2009

MAZDA / CX-9 2007-2009

MAZDA / MAZDA3 2004-2009

MAZDA / MAZDA5 2006-2009

MAZDA / MAZDA6 2003-2009

SUBARU / FORESTER 2009

SUBARU / IMPREZA 2008-2009

SUBARU / IMPREZA STI 2008-2009

SUBARU / IMPREZA WRX 2008-2009

SUBARU / OUTBACK SPORT 2008-2009

Equipment Brand Name / Part No. or Model No.: Production Dates:
    THULE / 3068 JAN 01, 2008 - FEB 28, 2009
    THULE / 3069 JAN 01, 2008 - FEB 28, 2009

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09E011000
    Summary:
    THULE, INC. IS RECALLING 2,323 OWNER-INSTALLED ROOF-MOUNTED FIT KITS, MODELS 3068 AND 3069, MANUFACTURED BETWEEN JANUARY 1, 2008 AND FEBRUARY 28, 2009 THAT ARE USED WITH THULE PODIUM FOOT PACKS, MODELS 460 AND 460R. THESE FIT KITS WERE SOLD AS AFTERMARKET EQUIPMENT FOR USE ON THE VEHICLES LISTED ABOVE. THE BOLT(S) USED TO SECURE THE FOOT TO THE VEHICLE WAS MANUFACTURED TO A HARDNESS THAT MAY CAUSE THE BOLT(S) TO BE BRITTLE AND POTENTIALLY BREAK UNDER STRESS.
    Consequence:
    THIS MAY RESULT IN THE BOLT(S) SNAPPING OFF DURING USE OR WITHOUT A LOAD. THE UNSECURED RACK AND LOAD CAN THEN COME LOOSE WHILE DRIVING CREATING A POTENTIAL ROAD HAZARD, POSSIBLY RESULTING IN A VEHICLE CRASH.
    Remedy:
    THULE WILL MAIL A RETRO FIT KIT ALONG WITH REPAIR INSTRUCTIONS TO OWNERS FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR BEFORE APRIL 13, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT THULE TOLL-FREE AT 1-800-238-2388.
    Notes:
    THIS RECALL ONLY PERTAINS TO THULE AFTERMARKET ROOF MOUNTED LOAD CARRIERS AND HAS NO RELATION TO ANY ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT INSTALLED ON THE LISTED PASSENGER VEHICLES. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV
  • Options
    zeeboyzeeboy Member Posts: 25
    Does anyone know an aftermarket source to get color matched body side molding for a 2010 Mazda3i 4 door?
  • Options
    creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
  • Options
    whobodymwhobodym Member Posts: 190
    does anyone have clearly-detailed photos that show well the appearance difference between 2010 Mazda3 with and without the factory OEM accessory front and/or rear air dams? The brochure is disappointingly vague -- or possibly the equipment is so subtle in appearance that I can't even tell. I know I've seen a new 3sGT without either, and I think it looks fine. The retail sticker of both parts is about $1000 so I'm having trouble believing why would anyone want them. The thumbnail photos in the brochure look the same as the car I saw, to me. I guess I'm saying no way do I want to spend $1000 for them, but I'm undecided whether it is important to make an effort to avoid them, or whether I can just say to a dealer "I don't care whether they are there or not, but I will only pay $zero for them".
  • Options
    berbelberbel Member Posts: 167
    Who:

If you go to the Mazda web page where you can "build" a new Mazda you will
    find that you can see the differences with and without the front and rear aero
    kits. Build the car and toward the end of that process, you will see all the
    accessories available for the particular trimline you're interested in which includes
    actual pictures of how that particular accessory looks on the car.

Personally, my '10 sGT hatch has both aero kits and the front one is actually
    pretty sharp, while the rear is more subtle. I bought several accessories when
    I ordered my car because I don't want my ride looking like every other 3sGT
    on the road!

berbel
  • Options
    spudislanderspudislander Member Posts: 8
    I have found that the bottom lip of the moulded front mud guards on my 2009 Mazda 3 are not low enough. As a result, mud and grit from the wheels is spraying up on the rocker panels and from what I am seeing, it won't be long before the paint is worn off my rocker panels. Has anybody on this forum replaced their front mud guards with an aftermarket type to resolve this problem?
  • Options
    markflirtmarkflirt Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    Check out Rally Armor: http://www.rallyarmor.com/

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    gravydeangravydean Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the 3Speed front grill can replace the 2010 3i Sport grill? I like the look of the 3Speed grill better and would like to swap ot out, if i can. But I'm not sure if it will affect the cooling system or anything else for that matter.... anyone? :)
  • Options
    rickaltmanrickaltman Member Posts: 8
    I am looking for a 2009 or 2010 used Mazda3, but my preferences narrow the search quite a bit: I seek a hatchback and would kill for a 5-speed.

I'll settle for just the hatch...but am finding mostly S models. Therefore, I would like to know how feasible it is to pimp out an S were I to purchase one. Moonroof...Bluetooth...upgraded audio...center console power...automatic climate control. Are any of these available aftermarket?

Many thanks.
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    edited November 2010
    Without significant expense and major surgery to the car, no.

Said another way, buy the car that meets your requirements, even if that means buying new; it'll cost you a lot less that way.
  • Options
    mmcusnretmmcusnret Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2006 Mazda 3i new in June 2006 and have made the following modifications:
    factory cruise control, factory sat radio; seriously upgraded audio system, 600 watt Sony 4 channel amp, with proper crossovers for true 5 way stereo speaker system, sub woofers on rear package shelf, woofers in rear doors, low mid range in front doors, high midrange in front doors, tweeters in front doors, factory 15" alloy wheels, Michelin tires, K and N cold air intake system, synthetic transmission oil (5 speed manual), LED rear stop light, turn signal and center brake light, LED back up lights (these are bulbs only, retain factory lenses), factory rear spoiler, deep tint back windows (not driver or front passenger windows), E3 spark plugs, class 1 trailer hitch, Mazda 5 rear springs (cut 1 coil so that car sits level), Mazda 5 rear shocks, engine oil cooler, factory style fog lights, what else.... Garmin GPS . The car still looks stock except for the tweeter and subs, but the subs can't bee seen from outside the car because of the window tint. I did 90% of the work myself. The cruise control was pretty easy if you have good instructions, I purchased a factory service manual CD which is invaluable as well as doing research online. Now I'm thinking about a strut tower brace and maybe a little shot of nitrous. The main idea is to retain the stock appearance of the vehicle, avoiding the "tuner" or "boy racer look". The velocity red paint really pops, there's metal flakes? in it that only can be seen in bright sun light.
This discussion has been closed.