Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Jeep Liberty

Comments

• vicvillevicville Member Posts: 19
    hey there, this is my first jeep, and I love it. i have a question, I notice when i shift in drive or reverse, there is a little buzzing or ticking noise right when it shifts, its very quiet , but i was wondering if it is normal. it drives great, pulls me up to speed , and shifts great, but i have never noticed that on other cars. thanks for any input.....
  • bacresseybacressey Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I ordered one with the skyslider from a dealer over a month ago. Last night they called to tell us that there might be a longer than expected delay... Until Jan/Feb, thats 4 to 5 months after we ordered it. :mad: The biggest reason we wanted the 08 liberty is because of the skyslider and now we'll have to wait almost half a year to get it. Hopefully the issues get resolved and we get ours soon or we might resort to a different vehicle.

I did a search on cars.com, with an unlimited distance and none came up with the skyslider.
  • loveabiggibsonloveabiggibson Member Posts: 1
    I drive a 2003 Liberty Limited which I really like. But circumstances are forcing me to look for another car...I need more interior storage but also really want better gas mileage. I'd like to keep the 4WD option and would like to stick with a V6...but also feel that 30 mpg should be closer at hand than the approx. 18 my Liberty is giving me.

Have I just talked myself OUT of anything out there? I wonder if there's a good vehicle that can give me all these things. I'm clearly just starting the research...

Thanks.
  • sailingmysticsailingmystic Member Posts: 11
    Did you figure out why this is happening yet? I checked mine and don't have this issue. Check all of your settings (4wd is very easy to select, etc./take dealer for test ride when you go in for your first service), etc.
    no I never did, but I have not really had the issue anymore, maybe it was just something with breaking in. I love it so far, its been great. Has anyone bought the lifetime extended bumper to bumper warantee , and if you did, where did u buy it at.
  • jeepgirl7jeepgirl7 Member Posts: 2
    I just took delivery of my new 2008 Liberty with the sky-slider roof. I have driven jeeps since 1978. I currently own a 2002 Liberty and by far this new 2008 is one of the best Jeep has made in a while. It is a little more "top-heavy" than my 2002 but once you get used to that it is a joy to drive. The sky-slider roof is AWESOME !!! This jeep is pure fun and if you are waiting to get one it is worth the wait. :)
  • clarkkentclarkkent Member Posts: 154
    I don't want to drive a CASKET!! That is what all Jeep interiors look like, CASKETS!

At least people in caskets don't get to complain!

What is with all car manufacturers? Do they think we are all Sheep? (yes)

Look at the interior of the new Liberty. You get two (2) color choices GRAY and BEIGE! WOW! What a choice.

How bland can you get.

I like the new Liberty but told my Jeep dealer I would not buy any new Jeep or any other car until I got some color in it!

Look at Toyota, heck you can only get VERY BLAND colors there.

I use to get any (and I mean any) color I wanted in the interior or exterior of the Cads. I bought. I could get red, yellow, blue, green, white, orange, black, light blue, etc. That is both the Exterior and Interior. No more today.

Again, the new cars have nothing but CASKET interiors all the way. I'm not dead yet and I'll not let the auto manufactures think I am dead or a Sheep!

At least my 1991 Cherokee has a Maroon interior and I'm going to drive it until Jeep starts putting out some real colors in their interiors!

CK
  • fatboy8fatboy8 Member Posts: 4
    I don't know what it is about Leasing a Jeep but they really seem to be able to negotiate on price.

Beware of BayRide Jeep. They pulled my credit and then told me they could do a deal over the phone. Then after I got there they told me the quote was mistakenly done on a Sport model instead of a Limited even though I had what they faxed me in writing. Wasted my saturday morning.
    -They told me the deal quoted was impossible on a limited. I then told them where I got it from and they guaranteed I would not get the deal.

I then went to the other dealership and the dealer that I was working with tried to play it off that the deal he offered me last time was also for a sport "if he remembered correctly" I am almost certain one dealership called the other and gave them a heads up. Anyway I didnt fall for it and after I was about to walk out they gave me the deal on a limited. It just seemed like a really dirty trick to try and ruin my deal at the other dealership.
  • naatz1naatz1 Member Posts: 188
    I had been looking at this forum since the past few months had strongly been considering buying a new Liberty, until I drove the Ltd vs a Gr Cherokee (no comparison) and some CUVs. The V6 Gr Cherokee does not get much better mileage than the small 4.7 V8 and since we need tow, that V8 has a lot of torque so we went with that (somewhat begrudgingly, love the vehicle though ... so far 15 mpg tow, 21 on highway is OK, just like the EPA ratings).

I don't think you can ever push 30mpg in a true 4wd SUV. Perhaps smaller ones like 4cyl Rav4s or CRVs might get close to that on the highway, but they are really FWD with just on demand 4WD and of course still limited interior space with no towing capabilities. The Highlander Hybrid can get high mpg with a $8000 premium cost and extremely long wait times to buy.

I am disappointed we are not doing more to get higher mpg mid sized SUVs as well, Jeeps and other could all do better.
  • chigirlintexaschigirlintexas Member Posts: 73
    I had an '02 Liberty and traded it after only 18 months because it slid all over the place. I liked its looks, form, function, engine, etc., but when it rained or even encountered a large puddle, I was constantly sliding, especially when applying the brakes (and not necessarily a hard brake). After having a sedan for a few years, I am ready to get back into a small-ish SUV, and my priorities are V-6 (for performance) and a factory-nav system (so I can retain the steering-wheel audio controls for the stereo). Of course, looks and reliability are factors....For those reasons, I approach getting an American-made car with some trepidation.

I test-drove a loaded '08 Liberty and was impressed with its looks, technology, performance, etc. It has everything I want in it and more.....but I must admit to being nervous about the manufacturer's future and the vehicle's long-term reliability. I know this vehicle is different from my '02 since the wheel base is completely different, so I figured it would be a different vehicle altogether (which it does seem to be). I would consider the Honda (due to good personal experience with them) but it is only a 4 cylinder so that takes it out of the running. I don't want an SUV with the spare tire on the tail gate (it just gets too cumbersome), so that rules out many models. I am also interested in the Saturn VUE and perhaps the Mazda CX-7 since they can be similarly equipped. The CX-7 gets excepted from the 4 cyl. rule due to its turbo charge and people who buy them seem to be pretty positive about the performance.

I do have an extra $1000 potential incentive if I trade my '05 Dakota (the lease is up next August), or get rid of my '05 Camry, the most boring car I have ever owned in my life. The Dakota has 33K miles on it and has not given us any problems. The Camry has 45K miles and while it has been fairly reliable, the "check engine" light has come on and off randomly since the day we drove it off the showroom floor. There is nothing wrong with the engine (we've had it to the dealer a couple of times), but heaven help us if/when a problem really occurs because the warning light is useless. The car lacks a light in the trunk, on the vanity mirrors; things I considered basic (how silly of me). The security system is psycho--if the doors are locked and you close the trunk, the alarm goes off....very annoying. After having a loaded Accord EX-L w/nav (which I had to give up, a long story), this car doesn't even come close to the Honda's quality, ride, finish, etc. But, of course, it didn't cost as much, either.

So, I digress.....anyone out there with an '08 Liberty who can offer an opinion, pro or con? I would probably lease it for 33-39 mos, if that impacts your opinion.

Liberty? CX-7? Vue? Opinions wanted and valued!

ChiGirl
  • bristol2bristol2 Member Posts: 736
    I am considering the new Liberty (because it looks like the old Cherokee that ran forever and that Jeep should never have cut) and I have some questions for the Jeep afficianados out there:
    1. Is Jeep expected to put a diesel in this Liberty?
    2. How easy/expensive is it to get a rear swing-gate installed for the spare?
    3. Are dealers moving much on price right now?
    4. What is the availability of manuals like? It seems like I would need to special order since not a lot of dealers have them.
    I read your thread about your Liberty and it sliding all over the place. I had a 2004 and it did the same thing. I tollerated it for about one month and upgraded my tires. Unfortunately the earlier Liberty vehicles were sold with standard non-trail rated tires. Many SUVs are "marketed" as trail vehicles and so people drive more confidently in them- however, they simply aren't. Once I put my Bridgestone Revo Duellers on it- it was a beast on the road. The off roading was increadible and my daily commute was great (and quiet).

I now have the new '08 Liberty and enjoy it very much- I love it. It's fun- and well- I'm debating swapping out my tires before winter, but so far (and yes I have that feat that I will slide) I haven't slid. I was recently in a huge storm and put it in 4WD-- but that was after driving it for a while in conditions that I wouldn't have driven my other Jeep in w/o the upgraded tires.

Believe me- it's in the tires. Huge difference- but depends on what your lifestyle is too. I trailer a sailboat- and need the traction for the muck at some launch ramps- and I love to play in the dirt/on rocks. My husband and I went off roading- I took the Liberty and he the Rubicon- I hung with all the Rubicons the entire time- the Liberty is excellent and you should explore more of its capabilities. A lot of fun!
    Good luck.
    D.K.
    Hi SailingMystic/D.K.,

Thanks for sharing your Liberty experiences....it's nice to know the sliding problem wasn't just me. I should have done more research on the tires before getting rid of my '02, but my hubby was adamant about it so I didn't fight him. I simply cannot find anything else that excites me as much as this new '08 Liberty-- it reminds me of how I felt when I got my '02--it's great looking, I love the features, and I can probably get a good deal. I also have always liked the "comraderie" I see among Jeep owners. Right now, my research and requirements narrows my choices down to the Liberty, the CX-7 (which requires premium and does not offer bluetooth or mp3 connectivity) and the Saturn Vue V6, which I just cannot get excited about.

The Liberty I drove was a limited version, all decked-out, and gorgeous in black with chrome wheels--very sexy! The features and technology just knocked my socks off. We are going on Friday to see if we can make a deal....I'm about to post a question for Carman to see if he can help me be prepared for the lease financing stuff....

Thanks again, Happy Thanksgiving! I'll let you know how it goes!

ChiGirl
    Still loving mine, got 1600 miles racked up so far. it needs a bath really bad. I still have that litle buzzing noise when i shift into drive from park, but i will ask them when I take it in for service. it has also got a little squeek in the right side of the dask, i think its the glove box, only when you have a good jolt of a bump. but so far it has run flawlessly, and still loving it..
    has anyone in their new liberty noticed when you turn your key to start it , it is delayed sometimes, and sometimes its works normal, i had an envoy, and it did the same thing sometime, is it normal?
    ChiGirl you sound like me... as I was so excited about my 2004 Liberty - esp. when I took it off-roading - and now with the 2008 Liberty - it's just a great experience on road and off. I do enjoy the extras and I'm comfortable during my commute. I know what you mean about the Jeep comradarie-- it's nice to share this- on and off road.

I don't hesitate when I take it off road. I would be with a Lexus (don't want to scratch) or a Saturn (could it meet the challenge), etc. With the Jeep I don't hesitate in any conditions. I know how to use the controls now (and there are many to choose from) and so I 'dive right in'...and it does so well (it's heavy and it's narrow which works well on the trails).

My husband cracks up because he's the one who gets the new cars and details them constantly-- now I find I'm doing the same thing. I have the Brick Red color/Limited Edition with leather seats...very pleased. I sometimes open the garage door just to look at it-- that's how excited I am about it. It's fun.
    I hope you found something out there that you can enjoy just as much.
    Best,
    D.K.
    D.K.,

We sound so alike! I know this is the vehicle I want. We tried to make a deal on Saturday (dealers are closed in Texas on Sundays), but they wouldn't give me anywhere near what I needed for my trade. Plus, there were no lease incentives on the Liberty, so we just couldn't quite get to the payment I want. I am a few months from the end of the lease on my Camry, so I will wait patiently until then, turn it in, then promptly go try again to negotiate a deal on the Liberty.

I drove the Saturn....it was nice but boring and seemed tight on the inside in terms of space, and I also didn't like the fake wood trim. For the money, LIberty has all the room and technology/toys I want, as well as a really impressive look from the outside. I will wait.....and it will be mine!

Thanks for sharing...I have a picture of it on my cell phone and will keep it until I can have the real thing. I'm sure I'll eventually be just staring at it every day in my garage, but until then, just admiring the ones I see, and being green with envy!

If you have any other notes of interest regarding your Liberty as you continue to drive it, let me know!

Best,
    ChiGirl
    Congrats on your new purchase! You are the first person I can find who has the new Jeep w/ the new roof. So after experiencing the skyslider for a while- what do you think? Is it quiet? Can you put a roof rack system over it?

It sounds like it's really cool.
    I have the Limited with a sunroof-- and I enjoy the drive in this Jeep so much! It's a joy to drive. Good luck and keep us posted as to how you are making out with the skyslider :)
    D.K.
  • niecy22niecy22 Member Posts: 7
    does anyone know when they will be offering 60 mos no interest? the 36 mos is just not enough!

thanks!
  • xtecxtec Member Posts: 354
    My local Jeep dealer showed 0%for 60months in this weeks ad.
  • leakyroofleakyroof Member Posts: 5
    I love my new Jeep except....

The day the odometer rolled 60 miles it rained all day. I was a work and the car just sat in the parking lot. When I left to go home I heard this strange clicking sound. When I stopped to investigate I found that water was dripping in the back storage area from the roof, actually under the plastic header on the roof, that has the back light and back up warning.

I immediately took it in and said fix this or I am not keepping this car (my mistake I should have told them to take it back, but I LOVE this car). They kept it for 5 days. Resealed the roof rails and anntenna, replaced the gasket, and eventually built up some of the welds around the hinges. This seemed to work. Lots of car washes no problem, but no rain and not sitting very long wet.

I now have 2500 miles on the car. Still LOVE it...but. It rained last night, the car sat in the rain, and when I started to drive to work the same problem. The car is at the dealer now, who knows if they will be able to track this down.

I am seriously worried that I have paid 32k for a car I can't drive in the rain. Anyone else out this have a similar story? :sick:
    does the liberty have a low washer fluid warning, i thought for this nice a car it would have one, i dont even see a warning on the dash in the owners book.
  • davidjeepdavidjeep Member Posts: 1
    I am considring a 2008 Jeep Liberty when my 2005 Jeep GC lease expires, for better gas mileage, so this morning when I took the GC in for 24,000 mile service the dealer sales guy at Pollard Motors in Boulder, Co let me drive a 2008 Jeep Liberty Sport home while mine is having service.

Quite Impressive!!

The new Liberty drives, rides and handles like 90-95% of a Grand Cheorkee. I fact, as I was taling to the sale guy on the drive home (he dropped mme off so couldn't "keep the Jeep") I amlost forgot that I wasn'tt driving the GC! Wow!

PLus the room in the front and the overview view outisde seems as large as the GC. The 3.7 V6 has been tagged as "underpowerd" but I fetl none of that.

Go get one today!
    :) Good news they fixed the leak. I am crossing my fingers and waiting for the next rainstorm.
    Incentives are the reason why I got the JGC instead of the Liberty....I had driven and fallen in love with the Liberty, but the dealers just wouldn't budge on the price, and Chrysler has only a $500 rebate and no lease incentives on it. With the $4500 in incentives (returning Chrysler customer) and a decent leasing interest rate (plus some hefty negotiating as well), I was actually able to get a 2008 2WD Overland for a much cheaper monthly payment than the loaded Liberty Limited I had test driven. Granted, the gas mileage isn't as good (I got the Hemi), but my payment is about $100 less per month than I was able to negotiate on the Liberty. That will buy me some gas, and I'm actually happy to have the extra space as well.

I agree that the Liberty is awesome, but I'm happy to have "settled" for the Grand Cherokee. For me, the deal was just too good to pass up.

Good luck--I'm sure you'll be happy no matter what you choose!
  • jeepgirl7jeepgirl7 Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    My 2008 Liberty has the same exact leak!!! My dealer assures me that once he fixes it it will never leak again. It is going in next week for the repair I will let you know how it goes.
    Curious- what was the outcome or where was the leak? Do they know?
    I haven't had any problems with mine. The only thing that I found was a noise near the passanger seat/door-- squeek really light, but noticable. I haven't had my first check up- but will see if we can investigate at that time.
    Thanks for the update!

D.K.
    I have to share my recent experience in some bad weather (tons of rain from one system to sleet/snow in another-- what most would consider a very yucky all day weather event -- and I was loving it!) The Jeep did great and my passengers loved the experience. We were all toasty warm and well- the sterio was a big hit as we sang to Christmas carols-- sober but keeping our chins up in bad weather :).

The Jeep never slid and felt comfortable in hard fast turns. It didn't hesitate with a full load and the pick up was excellent. I'm very happy with it!! :). I was going to upgrade the tires but decided not to for now. Two features that I now can't live without is the "easy exit seat" or the way the seat goes back before you exit the vehicle (nice feature for those of us who have to be dressed nicely for work) and the remote start is something I can't live without. It starts from quite a distance and my heater heats up fast!! I've been really happy with it now-- 2,500 miles and 2.5 months :)
    D.K.
  • scjeeper2scjeeper2 Member Posts: 2
    Not sure if they ever figured out what is causing this leak, but I'm having this problem. Just purchased an 08 Liberty, and it rained all day yesterday. I got in the Jeep this morning to drive 2 hours to my mother's home, and I had some minor water drops on the inside of the rear window. Seemed harmless, but the computer says "gate" as if the rear door/gate is open. I can't open my glass on the rear door, and the interior lights will not cut off. I figured Jeep wouldn't sell a POS, but I guess I was wrong, and just got suckered into a 5 year, $23,000 payment for a big POS. Let me know if anyone finds out what is going on.......
    has anyone ever had the lightning bolt warning light come on. mine did for like 3 seconds when i took off the other day, it has never come on again. any suggestions
    Sorry you feel that way. Looks like they did fix my leak though. We have had a couple of big down pours and no problem. I suggest:
    1. When you take it to the dealer - make sure they assign the job to a guy that has been around for awhile. Other jeep products have had leak problems in the past. The first guy that worked on mine had been around for about 2 years - smart kid, but didn't fix it. Second, guy had been around for about 20 years, he knew his stuff fixed it no problem.
    2. It takes awhile, if you take it in figure about 3 to 4 days for them to fix it.
    3. What they did:
    1. Re-welded the weld points on the top of the door, the guy said it was easy to see were the machine had welded too deep making a small hole.
    2. The roof is made in pieces and is layered. Not a single sheet. He stuck a sealer product, explained as similar to what goes around the windows and lights, inside the header and the exposed end of the roof. (I didn't see this, hopefully your mech will understand.)
    3. I have roof rails, so they opened them up also and resealed them.
    4. The work was done at Stoneridge Jeep in Dublin CA. Have your dealer give them a call. :)
    5. Sorry to hear about the electrical problems. That and mold was my biggest concern.
    Good Luck!
  • naatz1naatz1 Member Posts: 188
    To you and Davidjeep as well....
    I have some postings on the Grand Cherokee (Prices Paid and MPG) forums mostly and way back in October did a semi-controlled test comparing a JGC, 08 Liberty,and Saturn SUV. I honestly wanted the Liberty and was pretty attracted to it for a couple months until my 5'10 wife got in the passengers seat and noticed the protruding over the glovebox grab bar hitting her legs in almost all positions other than seat way back ... which severely limited any room in the rear seat behind it. I also was concerned wanting a Selectrac fulltime 4WD Liberty but most around were all Commandtrac, even the Limiteds. Based on our 01 JGC, you want Selectrac if you live in snow country to ensure you are not constantly switching the 4WD system in/out all winter long; commandtrac does not cut it especially in a loaded limited style vehicle. I needed a SUV/CUV vehicle that would tow a 3000lb+ boat/trailer so most import SUVs had a 3500 lb limit, but the Liberty @ 5000lb and JGC V8 6500 lb were attractive (I would have considered the new JGC diesel except Chrysler did not allow the lifetime powertrain warranty on the diesel for some goofy reason!).

However still leaning to the Liberty due to it's styling and towing and somewhat better mpg I took a Limited on this test drive. Yes it got slightly better 10-15% mpg than the JGC 4.7L V8 as one would expect. But I found the handling and overall smooth ride of the newer styled JGC to be incredible; note we'd been driving a 01 JGC for 7 years and this post 05 version is much improved. Part of my controlled drive was north 2 miles on the freeway before turning off on a 2 lane blacktop and that day we had consistent 30mph winds. I thought the hood on the Liberty was not fastened, it was visibly moving up/down almost and inch and the entire car was rocking in the wind (vs no problems in the JGC or Saturn). As much as I liked things about this Liberty limited, I dropped considering it that day and focused the last 2 weeks of dealing and research on the Saturn and JGC ... a 07 closeout JGC Laredo loaded with the X pkg (heated leather, sunroof, Bose audio, remote start, 4WD w/Lo range, etc) won out with $4k rebate and another 10% off list due to supplier affliliates package. Note the 08 JGCs now have $3+1k equivalent customer cash 2 months later. No problems so far, was getting the 15/20 EPA mpg until it got cold in December, but despite killing apparent MPG this remote start is sure nice in our cold MN winters! I do have the E85 option as well, which may make sense if we get off corn and go to cellulosic switchgrass based ethanol someday.

I happened to be behind a silver 08 Liberty yesterday and do like this styling still (I considered a Commander that resembles the new Liberty, but as reviewers have said the extra 500lbs and useless 3rd row seat don't make sense for usually only 2 people in the vehicle). So enjoy that JGC and I hope all Liberty owners have good luck and Chrysler dangles a few more incentives their way too.
    I can't believe it. I thought it was fixed but it is back in the shop today. Did they fix yours?

I am so glad CA has a lemon law. I am starting to worry that they won't be able to fix it. I am concerned about mold - and then what about resale - I will have to disclose that it had a leak.

They better be able to fix it this time.
    Totally agree with you on the Liberty styling--every time I see one, I still take notice and think they are really nice looking. And I feel the same way about the Commander you do---it's too big for just 2 of us. But, a month into my JGC ownership, I am enjoying the slightly larger seating for those occasions that we go out with friends, and, I hate to admit, I love the Hemi--what a rush! Hubby never did really like the Liberty that much and loves the JGC, so I know I made the right choice. My Hemi has the "fuel saver" option where it drops down to 4 cylinders when you hold your speed fairly steady, and I find myself driving more conservatively as I watch the MPG rise in response. Of course, I still love to blow off a jerk in a so-called luxury vehicle every now and then (not that all luxury car-drivers are jerks; they're not, and some might consider me a luxury car-driver in this baby)....It's just nice to know the power is there if I need it, and it is very smooth and responsive.

Anyway, someone else in the forum stated that they expect increased incentives on the Liberty in the spring if car sales continue to be soft....so the deals may be out there if you're willing to wait. Timing, as they say, is everything, and I got the deal I wanted when I wanted it. Liberty just wasn't in the cards for me...but I still like it!

Good luck to those considering either one--Jeep has done a fine job on both of these vehicles!
    anyone notice the 2008 libertys airbox, the one that goes into the air intake, in pictures on the internet, they all have like a box like thing on the motor that says 3.7 v6 mine just has a plastic tube going from the air filter going to the intake, was that a early design, then they changed it later , any ideas. what do yalls have?
    You are OK- I noticed this too. I had this on my list of questions for my first visit to the dealer. What we have is a better or more protected piece that keeps more elements out - better for off roading, etc. Basically they explained it to me and our part is good- I can't remember the details- because it was not an issue once I received the explaination. Hope that helps a little.
    D.K.
  • niecy22niecy22 Member Posts: 7
    hello!

Just wanted to say I finally bought my 2008 Jeep Liberty! Got manual so we had to order it from the factory. I have heard alot of positive things overall on it so we are excited to get it next month.
    Just wondering if we got a decent deal. Apparently they just came out with 2000 off so we paid 20,200. Its the sport version with sunroof. I live on Long Island, NY. Do you thinkthat is a good price? I hope so! Being I paid 19 and change for my Jetta 8 years ago I thought it was a good deal for an SUV.
    A ad in my Sunday paper has a 08Liberty thats list for 21205,it can be bought for 16995.$2000 rebate with a dealer discount of $2030.I think you could of gotten a better deal,but as long as your happy,thats all that counts.I got mine with a $1500 rebate,and $95 over invoice.I like mine so far but with minor problems.The MPG is not great,and it lacks power.Good Luck!
  • thepdmmthepdmm Member Posts: 82
    any issues with this slider roof? does it leak a lot? does it seem to age rather quickly? I just worry about the big hole in my roof over time? any info on issues or lack their of?

thanks
    I had the same concerns which is why when I bought mine last year I only got a sunroof. Problem was the leak was in the back hatch and roof - nothing to do with the sunroof.

The slider roof is very cool. I would wait a year and see how it performs.
  • thepdmmthepdmm Member Posts: 82
    I hear you and that is probably what will happen.. cloth can't last as long as steel or glass..
  • oldmac1oldmac1 Member Posts: 6
    Just took the OL's week old Liberty through a automated car wash today. The second time for it and the sunroof leaked both times under heavy water pressure. Her JGC Overland which I traded in and my 02 Liberty never leaked, so I went back to the Dealer and he reports that the sunroof leaks under high pressure car washes and this is normal. Said the 4 drain tubes are to small to handle the runoff of the pressurized water. This is not normal to me, so I took my 300 down and it does not leak. They vow it will not leak unless it is in a high pressure wash. Am I being snookered?
    I have a 06 Charger with a sunroof that went through many car washes,and never leaked,I had other cars with sunroof,they never leaked.I think your being snookered.When I get BS from the service dept.,I go to the GM of the dealer and tell them I want my vehicle fixed.I also have a 08 Liberty,which I like it,but been having minor problems and its like pulling teeth to have them fix it.Next week all four Wrangler ST are coming off and replaced with Goodyear Fortera tires,under warranty,I pay the differance in the tires about 100 bucks.,but I had to go to Goodyear to do this,my dealer did nothing.I think Chrysler is trying to save money,so now we have to fight to get good service.Good Luck.
    Reported to Chrysler Customer Satisfaction that the 08 Liberty Sunroof leaks under hi pressure automatic car wash and confirmed by the dealer twice since I bought the car two weeks ago. You get water in your face when it hits the sunroof (closed of course). Chrysler Customer Satisfaction just reported that the 2008 Liberties are not designed for Hi pressure car washes and will leak in a high pressure car wash. So bottom line don't waste your money on a sunroof on the 08 Liberty unless you don't mind getting wet when you use a Hi Pressure car wash. My 7th Jeep and my first leak and they can't fix it as it is a design issue. Guess the OL's Jeep will be a "dirty" Jeep unless I feel like getting wet.
    They should of issued you a umbrella.What are you suppose to do during a rain storm,duck under cover?Sounds like customer sastisfaction doesn't work at Chrysler.My 08 Liberty has minor problems that it should never had.I see that they are having quality issues,and should fire some of their engineers.
    Your right on your quality statement. Never heard of a design issue with sunroofs that leak under pressure at a car wash. First sunroof I ever had do that and the answer is a "design" that is not car wash friendly. My other Jeeps never leaked and my 300's don't leak. In a rainstorm the Jeeps sunroof trough's get water in it but it doesn't rain on you. Guess the motto is don't buy a sunroof if you want to stay dry.
    I agree with you on their engineers getting a wake up call. No way to design a sunroof.
    My wife wanted one with a sunroof,I'm glad we didn't get one.My sunroof on my 06 Charger had a rattle,but no leaks.
    Well, Jeep Customer Satisfaction says the Liberty was not designed to use in a hi pressure car wash and it will leak. My intent is to seal the roof now so the OL does not worry about the leak and was wondering if anyone has sealed a roof with some type of sealer from a tube? The OL never would use the sunroof and I would want to remove the sealer before I trade this car in. So, since I have a 850 dollar item that leaks, we will never use it and I want to seal it until trade time. Anybody have any suggestions?
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    I wouldn't advise trying to seal off the sunroof. You might end up with leaks all the time. Suggestions: 1. Don't go to high pressure car washes. and 2. Take a towel with you if you do go through one and wipe up the moisture outside the car wash. 3. Go to a full service car wash and let them wipe up the interior. 4. Relax and enjoy the huge hole in the roof on nice days and find something else to fret about. It is what it is.
  • carbuff81carbuff81 Member Posts: 2
    I want to install LED amber signal bulbs in my 2008 Jeep Liberty Limited, I have the on board dash computer system which tells me I have a bulb out when I obviously don't, and the signal flashes fast. I need a flasher relay, but ordering one is not the problem, the problem is locating where the factory one is mounted. Does anybody know exactly where the flasher relay is located in the 2008 Jeep Liberty? Is it underneath the dash above the gas and brake pedals, is it behind the glovebox door? I appreciate any help, pictures of location, etc. Thanks everybody, good luck with your Jeeps.