Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Ranger Starting Problems

Comments

• ownafordrangerownafordranger Member Posts: 1
    Could you give a little more detail on where the cam sensor is located, sounds like I have the same problem on my 2003 V6 4.0 ranger and am having a hard time finding it.
  • madattruckmadattruck Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2010
    okay here is how the whole ordeal finally ended.................after 4 fuel pumps......and 4 different relay switches..............2 different ford companie working in and firestone...............the burnt out starter.................so finally went to another ford company..............they replaced starter..........they told me it was fuel pump.............i laughed.....they repkaced it and guess what they called and stated it wasn;t the fuel pump..........lol after two more days they called back and stated it was a short in the wiring going to the fuel pump.............cost another 379.00 and finally i have had no problems with my truck..................
    yeah yeah yeah.......................... took almost 3 months for someone to figure out.
    hats off to landmark ford in portland oregon......................... i was ready to run truck off cliff........lol there is also some relay switch located passenger front sidewall that shuts the gas off incase you are in a wreck..........you may check that out
  • kwikernesskwikerness Member Posts: 3
    It's located on the passenger side in the front of the engine. When disassembling,someon else removed all the wiring and head and couldn't remember where the extra wire came from.
    http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/fordguy4u/2009-04-30_182013_A1.jpg

Hope this helps.">
  • jake3310jake3310 Member Posts: 1
    Was driving at a steady speed and everything(except the radio) shut down on me. There is a continous clicking sound under the dash and now the truck wont crank. Think its the anti-theft system but cant figure out how to reset it so the truck will run. Does anyone know what that problem could be????
  • 94splash94splash Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 ford ranger splash with the 4.0 ohv and it runs fine but in the morning when i first start it it takes like 6-7 times before it will start and after that its fine unless i let it sit for 2-3 hours then it takes about 3-4 times before it starts. Can anyone help me with that just reply or email me at [email protected] thanks.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    There are 2 temp sensor, both on the top of the thermostat housing, or nearby, I think.

1 sensor drives the temp guage in the dash.

The other sensor tells the 'computer' if it is a cold start or a hot start. Which makes a lot of difference in how much fuel is injected. This sensor is bad. If the truck is hot, it starts fine. If cold, not so fine. The sensor giving the problem has 2 wires, and usually are a black and yellow wire twisted together. Replace it.
  • fordgirl77fordgirl77 Member Posts: 15
    edited April 2010
    I have a 1994 Ford Ranger & have the same problem. It may be the fuel pump relay. Sometimes mine won't start especially after i have driven it a while. My ac don't work so I changed the fuel pump relay with the ac relay & it started right up. The fuel pump relay is good & i think it just gets hot & quits. But I switched the ac relay & fuel pump relay out every time it does it. And there is nothing wrong with either of them. Just a Ford malfunction. In my opinion they should have had a recall on this problem. I figured it out on my own the first time it did it. The previous owner replaced the coil packs & it didn't fix it. So every time mine does this I just switch the relays around, & it works fine. A mechanic just wants money so I work on my own truck. Let me know if this helps.
    I have a 1994 Ford Ranger & have the same problem. It may be the fuel pump relay. Sometimes mine won't start especially after i have driven it a while. My ac don't work so I changed the fuel pump relay with the ac relay & it started right up. The fuel pump relay is good & i think it just gets hot & quits. But I switched the ac relay & fuel pump relay out every time it does it. And there is nothing wrong with either of them. Just a Ford malfunction. In my opinion they should have had a recall on this problem. I figured it out on my own the first time it did it. The previous owner replaced the coil packs & it didn't fix it. So every time mine does this I just switch the relays around, & it works fine. A mechanic just wants money so I work on my own truck. Let me know if this helps.
  • spn81spn81 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2010
    My 1991 Ford Ranger 6.0, 3.0, won't start when warm. I replaced the coils and the device that sends spark, but it still wont start when warm. I am getting spark. I also replaced the starter and the starter cellunoid, and the thermostat, any ideas???
    Did you read the message just before yours?

Check the relay/s.
  • 94problems94problems Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2010
    i have a 1994 ranger 3.0 standard cab, automatic tranny..... i have changed the starter, solenoid, the fuel pump, fuel pump relay, plugs, plug wires, the battery, and it still has intermittinent starting problems. like today it just started right up and i moved the truck forward to hook up the flatbed and when i went to restart the truck... nothing. any advice would be helpful, im stumped on what else there is to possibly replace
    Check both battery cables. Corrosion inside the insulation.
    Have you tried the switching the relays around? It is in the fuse box under the hood on the driver side. Try that then let me know.
  • innerbeyondinnerbeyond Member Posts: 7
    your on the right track,I've seen this problem at so many sites, i know the temporary fix, took me for ever to search the web and finally found the real fix, it made sense knowing the temp fix, if you open the hood and pound on the relay box your truck will start, sometimes it will shake lose with just shutting the hood hard, but about the time you rely on that you get in your truck and it wont start so i just hit it hard on top on the black box behind the battery, starts every time, i found a post that said it was the voltage relay which makes sense since there is a moving part in a relay i believe, i am going to get one tomorrow, i have a feeling it will fix the problem. i have been dealing with this for five years now, i have very little faith in any fix, seeing as sometimes it goes 6 months without happening, then do it every other day.
    the sixth month period that it started every time was after i replaced the fuel relay, there are three relays in that box i am going to replace the other 2 tomorrow since i know pounding on the box or even rarely having to pull on the wires underneath the relay box works, i have never been stranded in five years of dealing with this, if the replacing of the three relays does'nt work (which is a cheap fix) i guess it's just a faulty relay box. I have notice if it doesnt start on the first turn over not to try at all, it is so reliable every other time it starts so easily i love my truck, but when it wont start i open the hood pound that box hard and it starts up ever time.
    I would say that probably is true about the faulty relay box. But mine usually only does it when it's hot outside or I have been driving awhile. Then I switch the fuel pump relay with the ac relay then it starts right up. Sometimes mine can just sit in the heat & not be started all day & won't start. If it doesn't start the first time I just switch the relays around & then it starts up but idles weird, then after about 15 min it clears up. In my opinion they should have had a recall. I love my truck even though I bought it 3 months ago, but I had a 95 & hated to give it up. This problem is the only reson the seller got rid of it. He put brand new coil packs, starter, all plugs & wires & he didn't know what it was. But he said after it cooled down it would start just fine. After I got it & it did it the first time on me, my mechanical instinct kicked in & that's exactly what I did was change the relays around & it started right up.
    (www.carcomplaints.com)
  • peequaapeequaa Member Posts: 1
    I have a1998 Ranger XLT bought new,I now have 84000 miles on it,4cyl. automatic trans.I left the ignition switch in the on position (truck not running} dumb I know,but that's what I did.It was on for about 2 or3 hours..When I tried to start it it wouldn't even attempt to start.Tried to jump start,but nothing.Took battery to get checked,it showed good.I've worked on a few older cars in my day, but with all the electronic items in there now,I'm lost. I would appreciate some suggestions.Thanx
  • olwelolwel Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    1993 Ford Ranger with a 2.3 it spins over but no fire changed crank sensor icm module an still no fire
    could it be the bran , icm module has a good ground it has fule pressure just no fire,checked all wires with ohm meter no shorts
  • landmaster_1landmaster_1 Member Posts: 1
    My name is Dave Palmer & I own 1994 Ford Ranger.

With a 4 cyl in it & I had the same prob with it starting that Ya'lll R having. And I found it 2 B the Module's ground. The Mod looked ok & didn't give any code into the computer. But I pulled the Mod off & checked the back & it was all caroded. I cleaned all of it off & cleaned the three mounting holes because they were also full of crud. Then I replaced the insulating jelly & reinstalled it & have had no problems since. I checked every idea from this sight first. Then went to a friend who owns & runs a repair shop here in North Adams Ma. He has a Computer Program He pays for that he types in a problem & it runs many different sens & it gives every option to try before you spend hundereds of dollers & spend hours looking. It's a real time saver. But if any of Ya'll want 2 try this idea of the Mod B my guest I've done it on 2 other Ranges & it's worked well. So good luck
  • amystrongamystrong Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 Ford Ranger XLT. I have been having problems for the last couple of years with it not starting. The engine doesn't turn over at all when keyed. I replaced the starter twice, which proved to be only a temporary fix. I also bought a new relay, and most times when it had trouble starting, simply pulling the relay would allow the truck to start. At this point, that is no longer working. I know that there has to be a bigger problem. I have considered replacing the entire relay box, but I am not sure if it will be a real solution. Any advice would be helpful.
  • chevymaechevymae Member Posts: 1
    After the truck ran for a while an i shut it off it would take hours to get it running again. This went on for weeks and now it wont start at all, im getting no spark. The coils fine and ive replaced the distributor. Ive been told to replace the crankshaft sensor but it doesnt have one, also to check the fuel relay but this has nothin to do with spark. Any advice
  • matchbookmatchbook Member Posts: 1
    got in my 98 ranger last night and it no longer starts. when i turn the key it makes a loud clicking sound, but no engine noise at all. figured it was the battery or alternator, but the lights and everything else work just fine. what could this be?
  • code3dudecode3dude Member Posts: 2
    I have a 94 ford ranger 2.3 liter, just put a new fuel pump, filter, rebuilt the engine so every thing is new, new crank sensor, ecu, and ignition control module. it cranks, wants to fire but wont start, any suggestions?
    Check for corroded cables. Poke around, it might be under the insulation near the ends.
  • code3dudecode3dude Member Posts: 2
    I put in some injectors from a truck i bought for parts, it started right up after that, it ran all day yesterday, then it stopped running and now when i want to start it, it just backfires like a friggin 12 gauge shotgun
  • whisperinggeowhisperinggeo Member Posts: 1
    1993 ranger only starts by pumping pedal 5 time while turning key,have to let warm up,when pushing in clutch runs very rough.after a few mins it's ok.after turning off,it takes several times to get started again.has to cool down. HAS NEW FUEL ASSY..NEW PLUGS AND WIRES,NEW ROTER UNDER DIST.CAP,TSP VALVE,AIR CONTROL VALVE,FUEL FILTER......
    Wild guesses - A leaking injector/s lets one/more cylinders fill up with gas after a shutdown.

-Leaking fuel pressure regulator lets vacumn line fill up with gas after shutdown and this causes hard starting.
  • 89rangerdanger89rangerdanger Member Posts: 1
    i have an '89 ford ranger 4 cylinder, with 8 spark plugs, it looks like the crank sensor has been replaced and the module before the coils has been replaced. both of the coils are good but only one side gets spark. all of the fuses are good. i was wondering where i should look for a bad ground? and where the "E.E.C." sensor or something like that is located? please help me out. thank you.
    there is an ecc relay in the fuse box under the hood,your fuel relay is also in the same box.
  • semajbelacsemajbelac Member Posts: 1
    New battery. Turn key to start, hear a click from dashboard and thats it nothing else happen. If you turn key to run or start, depress clutch, and short starter solenoid engines cranks away but never starts. If I remove the starter relay from the distribution center and jumper the relay the engine cranks. I know what you think it's the relay, no I tested the relay it's good. Anyone ever run into this before? please help. Oh also replaced ignition switch and I have 0.1 ohms from all body and motor grounds to neg. post.
  • dplushesdplushes Member Posts: 1
    Hey fordgirl, I have the exact same problem...really frustrating because it always seems to happen when i need to be somewhere. Anyways, did you replace a particular relay or do you just change them around when the starting problem occurs? If you could please let me know if you found a proper fix, thanks!
  • tlangdontlangdon Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1992 ranger, battery was recently replaced, however, when I go to start the truck, the relay engages, but the starter doesn't crank over. I have tapped the starter, checked all the connections, its all good. Should I just replace the starter motor?
  • nokomoholenokomohole Member Posts: 2
    some how you are still getting the start signa tothe starter
  • baseballdawgbaseballdawg Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2010
    My son was driving his ranger at about 50 MPH when it just quit and left him at the side of the road. I checked the fuse box relays under the hood and none were (fuel) blown. Now the truck won't start. The truck has the large V6 engine with about 140,000 miles (2 wheel drive).
  • chula7493chula7493 Member Posts: 1
    hello. so did you find out what the problem was on your truck?? i have 2 ford rangers that are doing it as well i bought anew fuel pump and it worked just fine and kept switching out the fuel pump after fuel pump so its not the pump its something else that has to deal with the fuel.. so yeah i still have problems with my trucks for the past 2 months and really getting feed up with it.. ughhh have you fixed yours?? :mad:
    i think many of the problems listed on the ford truck is the ecc relay. seems it gets sticky after a few years. i have replaced both the ecc relay and the fuel relay and have had no problems since, someone suggested it is actually the relay box but again since ive replaced these two relays ive had no problems, autozone had no record of the ecc relay but the fuel relay works fine so i just bought 2 fuel relays.
    before i knew this, when it did stick a simple hard bump on the relay box allowed the truck to start.
  • drlindleydrlindley Member Posts: 1
    Try a new ignition control modue, had same problem
  • fordtrucksterfordtruckster Member Posts: 1
    95 ranger sometimes won't start. Cranks over real fast when it occurs. Use starting fluid several times and that sometimes gets it running, could be just a coincidence. Sits for a short while and it will start. Changed fuel filter and fuel pressure measures 35 lbs. Could it be the crank sensor?
  • johnhrehajohnhreha Member Posts: 2
    ok i hit a BIG pothole and my 94 ranger 4x4 died, had spark fuel pump wasnt working. I took the fuel pump relay apart and manualy activated it the fuel pump worked , then with the key on i started "wiggling wires" . I found the problem almost instantly by having the cover on the relay off i could tell when it engaged, to the drivers side of the under hood fuse box is a large wire harness that had rubbed against the steel mount and had wore a red 10 gage wire in two. I put a butt splice on it and also added a piece of rubber innertube around the bracket. my problem sounds like so many others on here i thought i would try to help
  • johnhrehajohnhreha Member Posts: 2
    do you have a underhood fuse box, if so check the wire harness next to it mine had worn into the steelbracket that holds the fuse box and mine had the same symptoms
  • onebigelfonebigelf Member Posts: 1
    Try putting it in neutral. Mine is finicky about the switch that recognizes that the truck is in park. Seems to have plenty if battery, but try to start it and nada. Lift on the shift lever or put it in neutral and it starts fine.

Sometimes its the simple things.
  • drew57drew57 Member Posts: 2
    My Ranger is having some of the problems others are having, but not others.
    It won't start occasionally. Turns over, but won't fire. Leave for a few minutes and most times it will start. The other night, it wouldn't start after trying for over 20 minutes, but when I returned next day, fired up immediately. It doesn't seem to affected by cold, as sometimes it happens in the garage and other times out in the open. A couple of times, it has happened after initially firing, it stalls and then won't refire. Wait 5 minutes, it starts ok. I have started to charge the battery every few days, as this seems to keep it working okay. With the battery fully charged, I can go almost a full week before it won't start again.... the battery is good, new last year and checked 2 weeks ago by a mechanic. I had fuel filter changed when I sent it to mechanics 2 weeks ago, as it wouldn't misbehave for them, and I was desperate to try something, but it didn't solve the problem... Any suggestions? The mechanics are of little help.
  • sager2sager2 Member Posts: 1
    next time it wont start try spraying a little bit of starting fluid into the air intake. If it starts and runs for a several seconds at least youve narrowed it down to a fuel or a spark problem?
  • drew57drew57 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, I'll try that
    You've narrowed it down to a fuel problem. With no spark, it still wouldn't start.

What about fuel pump pressure. Has a mechanic put a pressure gauge on the fuel line while cranking? Not sure of the pressure needed, but it's probably 40 pounds or more.
  • kingtatakingtata Member Posts: 1
    Its the crank sensor
  • jharmjharm Member Posts: 1
    I am having this exact same problem on my 94 ranger except it's on a 4.0 liter . Just one question. What is the "insultaing jelly" or grease that's taked about here. Are we just talking about grease like you might put on a battery post, or is this some kind of special stuff I'm not familiar with??

Any one with an answer?
  • gajones29gajones29 Member Posts: 1
    Di-Electric grease should do the trick.

as far as the starting problem goes; i was recently in cold weather with my 93 mazda b2300 (same engine as a 94 ford ranger 2.3 L SOCH) and i started it up, ran fine for about 5 minutes. Stopped at an intersection; went to disengage the clutch and the truck died. I tried cranking it over; but it wouldn't start. I have been in weather below 0 degrees with this truck and its started up and ran perfect every single time; so this would be kind of alarming to me at first. I have spark; my fuel pump works and i have pressure going to the fuel rail. So; what I did was went to the parts store; got some starting fluid and HEET. Get this, I walked back to the truck, took off the intake thought, "hmmm..maybe it will start" and you know what? It started; but it was shakey to hold idle at about 800 rpms, so i poured the whole bottle of heet into the full tank of gas and it took about five minutes for it to work through the engine to remove all the possible moisture that might have condensed in the fuel system.

Also, under heavy acceleration I hear what sounds like a knocking noise coming from the engine compartment. I think it has something to do with the cold start system taking air from the exhaust and blowing it into the air intake; could it be a short causing the cold start intake system to engage when the engine is running?

Any suggestions/ thoughts?