Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Murano MPG Real World Numbers

Comments

• terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    I live in Reno, Nevada, USA.

The elevation is posted, along with the population, alongside roadways as you enter cities and towns here. Within a radius of 100 miles in all directions but West, we sit about 4,000 Feet. Elevation is also given on all highway maps I have seen from the Automobile Association, for most major cities and towns.

I am not so anal-retentive as to have been asking for the exact elevation of where you are driving, and it is not needed. I understood your point, and if only you existed in the world, it indeed would not matter. However to illustrate for others as to what makes your car run better, with better performance, it is indeed a germain point to know at what elevation the "tests" were run. ;)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Let me ask the opinion of our HOST if it's really necessary or it make sense to know the elevation of exactly the same road that I use to test my MPG results between regular and high octane gas.

I think that unless the engine is being run at less than maximum load then the octane rating should make little difference in power output though "engine knock" should still be the predominant issue.

Yes, elevation matters because of the change in barometric pressure but I'd look elsewhere for significant differences in mileage from one driver to another.

I will say that in the spirit of friendly chat concerning mpg, some will find it informative to know the elevation at which the driving is done but, for heaven's sake, if the information is not forthcoming can we just move on? :)

tidester, host
  • easym1easym1 Member Posts: 218
    No problema amigo!
  • clarkkentclarkkent Member Posts: 154
    25/28 mpg with a Honda CR-V. Yes. But for that milage with a CR-V you must drive with your knees in your mouth and push it up any grade of 2% or more!

Oh, I forgot to say if you want that type of milage with a CR-V your top speed will be 65mph (45mph with ANY headwind)

The CR-V is VERY under powered. I prefer to get where I'm going, and be able to walk when I get out of the car. I junked my CR-V after only 5k! :lemon:
  • carnut21carnut21 Member Posts: 38
    What are most seeing with regard to fuel mileage? We have an 07 with 1,400 miles on it and are seeing 22 city, 23-24 highway but we live in mountaneous area around Mount Eagle TN so I am not sure we will get 25 mpg until we get the car broke in. We love the pickup, handling is oh la la, and the SL leather package (not heated seats version) is great. CVT is awesome and within a couple of days really began to appreciate the "shiftless" concept. I also have an 05 Frontier CC / 2x4 6spd and Nissan has really got some great vehicles on the road.
  • glendowerglendower Member Posts: 32
    Picked up an '07 SL Tuesday night and took it on a day trip of about 380 miles today, cruising at 60-70 mph on I-195 and I-95. First 190 miles at 22.8 mpg. Next 145 at 23.5. Last 45 at 24.4. No complaints with any of that. Sweet vehicle. Love the CVT.
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    But what color?

Congratulations on your new ride! :)
    "But what color?"

Merlot with cafe latte leather. Thanks for the congrats. Wife loves it. So do i. :shades:
  • lenk44lenk44 Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anyone is seeing the same behavior that I am. I have an 06 SL AWD (haven't seen much so far in this forum about AWD models). I get 23-25 mpg on the highway usually travelling 70-75 mph. In suburban "around town" driving I will typically get 17-19 mpg. But here's the kicker: I live in downtown Chicago and with tanks used completely on true city driving I get around 13-14 mpg. The dealer keeps saying "wait until the engine is broken in" but c'mon... 13 miles per gallon? That's just off the charts. We are at 7,000 miles now.

We have been using 87 octane because everything I have read, including from the oil companies who sell the stuff (see box at http://www.chevron.com/products/PRODSERV/FUELS/bulletin/fuel_economy/) indicates that using an octane above the required value will not improve fuel economy. They all say that higher octane fuel is ONLY to prevent knocking. Most of the results from people in this forum seem mixed about testing fuel economy with different octanes.

My wife and I got this Murano new in May and we are in love with it except for this mileage thing. Has anyone else had similar problems? Could it be unique to AWD models?
    lenk44,

If I remember right, I did experience around 15-16 MPG city when my Murano was new and worse on cold days. But noticed improved MPG as I increased my mileage. My mixed driving is currently giving me between 17-18.5 MPG.

I'm currently using mid-grade gasoline...K&N air and oil filter..Mobil 1 oil...My best Highway was 20-22MPG at an ave speed of 100-110 KM.

I hope this helps.
  • rjgcparjgcpa Member Posts: 11
    I have an 05 SL AWD. Took a trip to VT from MA back in the fall. Mostly highway driving with an average of 28mpg according to 'fuel economy' gauge. More often I average around 20-21 combination local and highway. City averages about 17-19 mpg (however, although city driving involves slower speeds and a few red lights, it is not bumper to bumper traffic). I use 87 octane. Likely, advancing the vehicle from a standing stop or what would otherwise be a lower gear requires extra gas to get the weight of the vehicle in motion. Once cruising (e.g. highway) the mileage is decent.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Thirteen to 14 miles per U.S. gallon is unfortunately not off the chart. These are heavy vehicles and 100% city driving, especially in colder weather takes a toll on mileage. Our V6 Highlander will get about 14 to 15 per Imperial gallon in Toronto traffic and the V6 Escape will average 17 to 18 per Imperial gallon under the same circumstances.
  • mmrenommreno Member Posts: 9
    Our 2006 Murano SE with 20k just went on a standard weekend run from Reno, NV, our home base, via NV 95 to Death Valley, CA, returning on US 395 to Reno. That equates to close to 10 passes in one day in the bag, starting at 5000 feet up and down, with grades up to 12 percent, and 716 miles of road.

My foot was so far in the firewall I pulled one pass at a buck 5, and on a slight grade. My average highway speed in Nevada was 82 mph, and in CA, 72 mph, in town was 19 mph, and up-hill in traffic was 26.5 mph. All these speeds, were done with with a dive watch, the speedo, and a calculator, of course, while driving.

The Murano, USING cruise control pulled 19.7 mpg while using 83 octane NV/CA regular, and 20.2 with 87 NV/CA supreme. Those were total numbers, yet in specific flat areas, 25.7 was achieved over a 225 mile run, and 10.3 on a 71.5 mile run from minus 232 feet, to 5138, back down to 139 feet, back up to 6104 feet, and down to 3190 feet, all while following slow traffic, constantly in the brakes, going uphill, and trying to maintain a simple 40 mph with the firewall stopping the pedal.

Your mileage WILL differ. On one short, flat run at 4000 to 5000 feet, 30 mpg was it, at 72 mph, give or take a small hill. Anything is possible, but MY vehicle average, on cheap gas is going to be, I guess, around 20-21 mpg on MY normal roads. Put me on I-5 at 68 mph, and I bet, 25-28 mpg is easily obtained.
    30 MPG? Yes it's obtainable but only on initial runs. If you do a reset, the MPG reading normally starts way high but gradually decreases as you gain more distance. I did this in many occassions to check if I can really average 28 or 30 MPG as others suggested.
    Special Reports
    EPA Overhauls Fuel Economy Estimates for 2008
    Testing methods changed to mirror "real world" driving habits.

Here's a good article to read in here. Car buyers will soon have a much better and realistic EPA report when looking at a cars fuel economy.
    As a previous post noted, I too am from Reno, but I do have a perspective on fuel and octane ratings. As a master mechanic and service manager, for different devices, I answer this question many times per year for my customers. On our Murano's engine, I have tried all available octane levels in an 800 mile radius. Zip-Nada Ca-ching! Just more dollars for the oil compamy. No performance alteration in normal operation has been noted.
    HOWEVER, you will see a difference in extreme loading conditions. This loading condition will occur with loads at or near towing maximum load rating, high temperatures, and sustained high RPM levels. The higher octane in the fuel reduces the flash point of the fuel slightly, and encourages a more effecient burn of the fuel, while converting SLIGHTLY more dead dinasaur to power than the cheaper stuff, but unless you enjoy putting your dollars in the oil companies bank account, if your Murano runs well on regular, run it.
    In older vehicles, this poor burning thing, was diagnosed as "pinging". The computer your Murano has, self adjusts the amount of fuel, at the proper time, as altitude and temperature change, to reduce this condition, and does help a great deal.
    The other thing the OBC does is adjust the VOLUME of fuel sent to each injector as the altitude changes, Again, different than older vehicles. What you MAY see, are slight differences in each engine. Remember, engines can be as different as people. Some alterations occur unit to unit, day to day.
    Right now, our temps have been from -1 to 16 degrees the past week or so, and the mileage I have had, dropped to 17 MPG according to the computer, in town. It takes more fuel to move a cold vehicle, as friction increases, as AWD use increases, and yes my AWD was engaged several days in the past week, all day, and by overall fuel used vs miles traveled, this week was 18.1 in town, no freeway, AWD for 94 miles, and ice, lots of ice, which also equates to slower speeds and a lower gear too.
    To compare, my BMW M3 gets 9 mpg in this dismal weather, but in July, on The Lonliest Road In America, a whopping 22 MPG is possible, but not practical, with the HIGHEST cost supreme, WITH an octane booster in the tank. Our Murano rules.
    mmreno,
    Excellent info!!
  • mobster75mobster75 Member Posts: 2
    You have 83 octane gas in NV/CA?! I've never seen below 86..... The lowest typically here in MA is 87....

mobster75
  • whitallwhitall Member Posts: 190
    I have been getting LOUSY mileage lately, in the 15's and low 16's. I have been doing a lot of short trips, so I know that is part of it.I make a real effort to accelerate gently, coast to stops and in general use a light foot, otherwise it would be worse. I am hoping it is related to the "winter" blend of gas up here in NJ. Does anybody out there have a similar experience? The first few months I had the car (06, bought in July) I got in the 17's with these short trips and higher if I did just a few highway trips of 7 miles or so.
    It's warm in July and cold in January. Happens every year. Summer mileage in the north is better than winter mileage.
  • smogdungsmogdung Member Posts: 349
    Why would anyone buy a 4,000+ lb 4x4 & then whine about gas mileage?????
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The EPA rating for the '07 Murano is 20/24(25) so it's not a stretch for most owners to expect close to that, even when you account for winter weather, lousy commuting conditions, soft tires, etc. Perhaps you have something to contribute to the problem?
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    For reasons I can't explain (driving an '06 Tahoe) I've logged my milage (miles divided by fuel purchased using a calculator) for years. I understand that cold weather decreases milage especially around town because the computer runs the fuel mix richer until warm-up. I also understand that winter gasoline blends (I guess to enhance cold-weather drivability) is less efficient than warm weather fuel.
    Typically my MPG has gone down 10%-15% from December until March. My best milage has been in the fall and spring when it's warmer and have no need for the AC. The whole thing got really confused when Ethanol came along. Ethanol, the latest and greatest additive which seems to be replacing MTBE's, drops milage +/- 10%. :confuse:
  • drmuranodrmurano Member Posts: 10
    With the subzero temps we have had in the midwest this last month, my milage finally droped to 17. Then we had a week of terrible weather and it dropped to 16.5 with the AWD locked in for several days. This is mostly city driving with trips of 18 miles average, where speed limits go from 25-55. Warm summer months I can hit 19 to high 19's. In part this is due to the engine warm up period. In subzero weather, I see the RPM's very high, up to 2500-2700 at 55 mph until the engine gets "very warm". Usually, with a warm engine, 2000 RPM will net you 80 mph. The high RPMS cost you MPG. The Murano is odd, in that the idle speed is low when the engine is cold as opposed to most cars that idle at high RPM until warm. Instead, the Murano operates at high RPM while traveling down the road in cold weather, and this continues for many miles, even though the engine temperature guage never increases. It seems to be connected to the CVT operation, and a Nissan mechanic told me that the transmission fluid also needs to warm up. I have not checked this fact in the service manual yet.
  • muranokiwibrumuranokiwibru Member Posts: 1
    Muranokiwibru
    Here in New Zealand I am averaging 13-14litres per 100km or as I prefer 7.6km per litre around the city.
    On long trips about 8/100 or 12k's per litre this is all on using 96 unleaded octane.
    Nissan New Zealand adives it should do around 10k/100 on a trip average in total 12.5
    reviews : www.nissan.co.nz
  • abanksabanks Member Posts: 3
    I have a new Murano 2wd 240hp with only 565 miles and that is on approximately 38 gallons of 87 octane, I calculate that @ 14.9 mpg allthough the computer tells me I am averaging 17.2 mpg, by the way most all of my driving is a mix of in town and highway about 50/50. Now, as for the computer adjusting its self to my driving habits, I also own a 2004 Toyota 4 Runner 4wd v-6 that has 265 hp bought new as well sticker show epa estimates 17/21. It also has a computer. It's computer says consistantly that I am getting 17.8 mpg but after 68,000 miles, and I check it regularly, It consistantly gets 15.5 mpg. I would like to hear from some other Murano owners who check their gas mileage the old way. "mileage accumilated divided by gallons consumed . Love the Murano so far, not to enthused about the MPG, since the sticker says 20-25 mpg which I am aware is changing under the new epa guidelines.
  • mike1111mike1111 Member Posts: 93
    2007 Murano SL AWD with 355 miles.Getting aroun 16.0 MPG and thats all city.Its been cold so i'm hoping that will go up when it warms up.I have noticed that the RPMS can get as high as 3,000 when i coast down a kinda steep hill.Is that normal?
    Just got back from an all weather 1200 mile trip to Salt Lake City, UT. Wind, rain, snow, ice and heat. Our Murano went from a high of 28.6 mpg with a tail wind, and no a/c to a low of 16.4 with a headwind of 30-40 mph and the ac at at 74 degrees.

Overall, with the curise control at 84 mph, 22.4 miles per gallon, with about half on a/c, all with wind was the end result. And yes, in Elko, Nevada, and in Orem, UT, 85 octane is the regular. Guess what, NO Problems. And up to 8,000 foot summits are on I-80, at full speed. ( ok 7900 feet actual ).

Funny thing, across the Bonneville flats, you would expect great mpg. No dice. Too much wind. 17.1 mpg SLC, UT, to Wendover, NV, actual, no computer numbers, but in the mountains, 21.2, and no traffic. Odd, but less wind.

Just to compare, Our BMW M3, 10.7 mpg, with no speed over 78 mph, Reno to SF, CA., no a/c, just traffic, and people that should never have been licensed to drive. And 11.7 mpg in my 1991 Peterbuilt, with 86,000 lbs over the same route, I-80, with little traffic.

Our Murano Still RULES!
    Yes, The crud they sell here is as low as 82 octane, and today, I paid $2.89 a gallon for that crap.

Better yet, we have 15% MTBE in the soup, and the government expects the stuff to burn!!

We really miss real gas here. Nevada was one of the last states to have "no speed limit" on most of our roads. Nixon stopped that, and this "good" republican state canno't see fit to re-establish them. You ever spent 13 hours staring at a potted plant? That is what it takes to drive from Salt Lake City, UT to Reno, NV at 78 MPH.

MMReno
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's much more fun to take Highway 50 and get off the interstate. :shades:

The Loneliest Road in America
    The first tank from the dealer i got 15.8 i just rounded it to 16 mpg.The last couple using 93 gas i got a high of 18.75 MPG with 95% city driving.The lowest i got with 93 was 17.8 and that was 100% city with lots of stop and go.It seems to get better the more miles i've put on it.I don't let the tank get close to empty before i refuel.
    Look guys, I have read your postings and I keep hearing "my computer shows me getting this or that mileage... You are wasting your time and mine with the computer mileage. "IT IS INCORRECT" the only way to know what your getting is to top off your tank and reset your trip odometer, use most of your tank and top it off again. Then divide your mileage by the gallons you put in it. It is the only true way to check your mileage. I have bought several new vehicle in the past several years , and the trip computer averages lie. They are not correct. Stop wasting your time with it and check it the right way, then see what you get. Allen
    you must be kidding me you are a mechanic and you believe what your trip computer tells you? It lies, you can only get true MGP reading by topping off your tank and check it by gallons used vs mile driven.
    I don't see the problem?Thats how i have been doing it from the first tank off the lot.The first one said 16.9 or somewhere in there on the trip and i was only getting 15.8.When i filled up with 93 gas and did the same miles divided by gallons on my own i came up with 18.75.The trip said something like 19.5.The trip does over estimate the MPG BUT the numbers i've stated were done the right way.
    I filled up today with 266.4 miles on the trip and i topped it off with 14 gallons of 93 octane.My trip said i was getting 20.2.I was really getting 19.02 MPG.My MPG have got better with the worse being 15.8 with the dealer tank.This was my best at 19.02 so far.Thats pretty much 90% city driving.I'm pretty happy with the MPG for the city.I wish i was getting 21 or so but it's such a nice ride i'm happy.I'm still in the break in period with 1,150 miles.
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    I'm surprised to see so many post suggesting not-so-hot mpg. While I don't race this car around like a teenager, I don't "grandpa" it either. I've filled up 7 times (top it off, premium fuel, and figure the milage with a calculator) and have averaged a tiny bit over 20mpg. It's all around town mostly between home and work. I'm delighted but would not be if I was getting 15-16mpg. My last vehicle was an 06 Tahoe and it consistently got 15+mpg.
    My last fill up i got 19.6 with 90% city driving.I use the caculator as well.My trip said i was getting 20.7 but it is always high by a mile or so.
    Current MPG with 50-50 HY and City @ 17.6 MPG according to my trip computer. I'm using 89 octane ( mid-grade ).
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    I had a rental S AWD, that wsa brand new, when I got the Murano it had 80 miles, and when I returned it, it had 502 miles. I averaged 16.5, this was 50-50 pure city driving as well highway (70 mph).

What has other gotten with just a non-AWD S ?

Tony
    I have noticed that when it is cold i get worse MPG.I was getting a high of 19.6 mpg on 93 octane.When it got cold for a week in here Ohio i got a low of 17.5 mpg.Now that it has warmed back up i have seen better mpg.My trip as i type this says 20.7 BUT it is always high by one mpg.When i fill up i expect to be in the mid 19s again.This is a 07 SL AWD and i drive 90% city.I have 2500 miles on it.I drive with the mpg showing on the monitor.I have noticed that i can use a light foot and keep the bar at around 30 mpg.Stop and go kills that in the city but if you drive with a light foot when you reach your desierd speed you can keep the mpg up pretty high.This will help with the over all come fill up time.I have'nt broke the 20 mpg mark with the caculator yet but i hope to.
  • hpgatorhpgator Member Posts: 39
    Does it really matter all that much for this car? The dealer told me that 87 regular would be just fine, but I wonder if it really matters to get 93 octane for the fuel efficiency? I mean, if you spend $4 more at the pump, for example (20 cents more for premium * 20 gallons), does that equate to at least 20 miles (one gallon) or more in driving distance? If so, it more than makes up for it.

From what I'm assuming, you'd need to average AT LEAST 1mpg more than when you used regular.
    The dealer tank netted me 15.8 i assume that was 89 octane.I went to 93 just cause it's better gas and my mpg has gone up pretty well.My first tank after the dealer i got mid 17s.Now i've been getting mid 19s with 90% city driving.It's a 07 SL AWD
  • hpgatorhpgator Member Posts: 39
    That would pretty much make the change worthwhile for sure... you spend more at the pump, but you get more out of it. Premium also keeps the engine running in top form for longer.
    You...will...get...no...better...mileage...from...premium...gas. Really.
    Just came off of a 550+ mile round trip and averaged about 26.5 mpg. This is the best that I have ever done. Because gas has increased to $3+ per gallon (I run 87 octane), I saved $10-11 on the trip based on the last trip where I got 23 mpg. Not much money but allowed me to travel an extra 75 miles and 3+ less gallons that the oil companies got to sell.

Speed makes a difference and speed cost money.

With the fight about 87 vs 93; the engine is rated at 245 with the 93, with 87 there is about a 4-6 hp drop if I am not mistaken because the timing is backed off / retarded.

In town, the Murano gets about 21-22.
    It should be noted that I dropped my speed from 78 to 68 to get this increased mileage. This included round trips over Mount Eagle Mountain outside of Chattanooga. That mountain kills mileage!
  • kbear2kbear2 Member Posts: 6
    Don't drive a whole lot as I only have 15,000 miles on my Murano considering I purchased it in April 05.

Mix of highway and around town using regular gas always. Have averaged between 21-22 mpg with a bit better on a long drive. Only twice did I get just under 20 mpg and both times were during very cold weather.

Am a conservative driver with no jack rabbit starts and coast to red lights, etc.
    And I don't speed, trying to keep under 65 when traffic will let me.

Car is in immaculate shape with no problems. (knock on wood) :-)
  • wwinterswwinters Member Posts: 1
    we just bought a 2007 nissan murano with 9600 miles and traded in a 2006 pt cruiser.we knew we would'nt get the mileage the cruiser got but so far we've been very happy with the murano.we live approx. 26 miles from town and so far average 24 mpg which is about the same as the cruiser.this is one hell of a cool car and have to fight the wife to drive it.we're going on a road trip to laughlin,nv and we'll be able to see what mieage we get on the road.i guess i don't worry about it as long you're having a great time driving it. :D
  • mishaamishaa Member Posts: 6
    Well like many others mine shows about 15-16 MPG on regular gas. Rarely close to 17. It is stock 2005 S, and my wife has a lead foot :)
    We have an 07 Murano that we got in October 2006 and have about 21,400 miles and no we do not use it for business. My wife just drives alot.

We have maxed at 26.5 mpg on a trip to Florida and worst at 20 mpg. We average about 23 most of the time except when we travel from middle TN to east TN and get about 24-25 most trips but going across Monteagle Mountain always causes us to lose at least 1 mpg on the average.

We have had ZERO problems with the car and will trade it for a Rogue in January. It will be a little smaller but with the miles my wife puts on a car, the extra few mpg will add up and the lower lease payment will be nice as well.

You can not go wrong with a Murano!