Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Engine Issues

2»

Comments

• albamarlealbamarle Member Posts: 23
    any other problems Brian Jamie with your Tundra speaking
    from miles of experience, road construction???
  • MojavemanMojaveman Member Posts: 3
    This is a widespread problem with the 5.7 (and 1st generation 4.7) engines and TMC is basically giving all the owners the middle finger salute because it will cost them many millions to fix. They have rushed a product to market before testing it fully and all of us unfortunate early buyers are paying the price in terms of long-term durability and resale value. It is particularly heinous in that Toyota will eventually reap the benefits of their bad engines by selling replacement parts in much greater quantities than they would otherwise. If we work together on this and spread the word it is much more likely that they will admit the problem and honor their contract with buyers. In the 1980s Honda introduced the Accura line of cars and when a snow storm hit back east it was found that some of their automatic transmissions would grenade if the car was rocked (due to poor engineering). Instead of ignoring the problem and telling owners to get screwed like TMC is doing to Tundra owners, they worked very quickly to identify the problem, come up with an engineering fix, begin building the new transmissions, inform customers and dealers (not to rock their cars until the transmission could be replaced) and systematically replaced all the transmission as quickly as possible at no small cost. I know because I was involved in the process. That is the kind of customer service that TMC should be offering to Tundra owners. Let's face it, TMC could do the right thing here or they can do what they are doing and ignore the problem hoping it will go away (or your warrantly will run out). I can guarantee you, I will never buy another Toyota if they continue to ignore the problem and I am going to work to ensure no one else does either. The only leverage we have is our wallet or potentially a class-action by a good law firm and then only the lawyers win as the settlement would probably amount to a $500 coupon for the purchase of a new truck and free oil changes for owners while the law firm makes $150M.
  • MojavemanMojaveman Member Posts: 3
    High RPM at startup is the least of your worries. Unless you are one of the few lucky 5.7 owners without piston slap you will notice that when you put a load on your engine that it sounds like an old Detroit Diesel with 300,000 miles on it. TMC refuses to fix the piston slap problem must owners are experiencing saying it is "normal." Piston slap is not normal and us owners that made the foolish decision to buy a truck that clearly wasn't tested properly are now going to pay the price in short engine life and poor trade-in value. Sooner or later some legal eagles are going to file a class-action against TMC over this issue. If you are reading this thread and contemplating the purchase of a new or used Tundra be advised the engines having major piston slap problems. Anyone that tells you that piston slap is normal doesn't know what they are talking about or works for TMC.
  • mule4mule4 Member Posts: 36
    I own a 2007 tundra .Bought April 2007 great truck. I had GM trucks all junk .They would not fix the crap even under warranty.The engine is the best on the market. makes a person think that you work or own one of the big 3 or a lawyer wanting a job. The big 3 have lost their market share.No matter what you say .People know better.I also bought a 2009 toyota avalon a nice car that gets 31 to 32 mpg.Alot nicer car then the big 3. I wish you the best on bashing toyota
    what do you say about the man talking pistons are like motorcycle pistons explaining possible noise? the slap will wear the piston out? i read the fords forum having some radiator problem burning out early #8 piston. what truck(s) do you recommend purchasing? what would you do to fix the slap issue? i am not mechanic but would like understand engineering fixes to this problem before purchasing toyota tundra. have you spoken to local engine enthusiasts/ seasoned veterans of tundra engines. Is this something motorcycles experience this issue will burn out piston overtime how many miles do you have on yours? how many more miles before you expect major ,,stop engine problems? no go toyota

maybe there is some arbitration available through toyota for your redemption? how are ongoing discussion with those who understand problem and are seeking answers to fix this issue?
    similar victims, communicating other boards/forums tundratalk

how exactly was honda explanation resolved?
    i did see nicer 2002 chevy 2500hd man wanting $1500 above edmunds price parked on road,,looked in nice shape,maybe retain some american jobs/investment in the country while things go back to efficiency? customer value/response most important marketing moving forward giving back to investors>purchasers
    things can change with enough communications what about the 20/20 programs
    John Stossel interviewers
    is this problem existing on 2008s 2009s? is there fix in?
    do you have any survey of current engines?

those with newer acquistions? speaking to this issue,

what about other owners pulling loads??
    is the survey 1 in 100 owners
    with similar problem 1 in 1000, 1 in 10,000

any other factors occuring @ same time pulling load,,major hills?
    flat ground? exxongas? 10% ethanol?
  • standfirm5standfirm5 Member Posts: 1
    I left GM and Dodge trucks. So I went to Toyota thinking that they had higher standards and quality, but was i wrong. I bought a 2007 5.7 liter Tundra that has developed a piston slap like a diesel, this is not what I bought. I was told by Toyota that this was the GREATEST engine Toyota has ever made... well THEY DO NOT BACK UP WHAT THEY STAND FOR.. I have been to the dealer a half a dozen times about this, and called Toyota Corp.and had 2 Reps down from Chicago 3 times just to tell me this is the nature of the 5.7 top of the line high performance engine, and i just have to LIVE WITH IT. Thats BULL... they are not going to stand behind their product. ( BOTTOM LINE ). Now I have to listen to this all day long and what will happen when the miles rack up? or i go to sell it and resale is reflecting this issue? You pay over $37,000. you would think that it would run and sound the way it is suppose to be, especially for a Toyota? I'll NEVER BUY TOYOTA AGAIN, if they don't make this right. and i will TELL EVERYBODY, I PROMISE. DO NOT BUY TOYOTA TRUCKS... BUY AMERICAN.
  • luke21luke21 Member Posts: 2
    toyota tundra V6,003. engine cranks, but doesn't start right away.drove on highway,when I slowed down to get off highway the truck stalled, tried to re start, but would only start and keep running with my foot on the accelerator. continued to drive ,but when I came to a stop the engine would die.would only re start and drive with my foot on the accelerator. the next day it stated up ok,but engine idled a little rough. Is my fuel pump bad?
  • tymtotrntymtotrn Member Posts: 10
    To All you gentlemen who are posting messages reference piston slap during cold start ups, and piston slap during low rpm acceleration.

1st--I spoke to a 20 year mechanic about engine oil type for my 08 5.7. I was told that these new high tech engines(especially Toyota) have very small and narrow passages in some parts of the motor, which make it difficult for oil to pass thru especially during cold start ups. That would explain the ping while cold. My 08 revs high during start up, but I do not hear a ping. I use a FULL synthetic oil..

2nd--As far as piston slap during low rpm acceleration, that sounds like a fuel octane problem. I dont care what anyone says(or any manual says), use 91 octane in your tundra. You must be running BAD fuel in your tundra. Use fuel from Chevron or Shell.

3rd--My last suggestion. Do to your tundra what I did to mine. ( Let me clarify that at no time have I ever experienced piston slap during start up or during low rpm acceleration). For several months, I researched a cold air intake system and a plug in computer chip for my tundra. Understand that these tundra's are equipped with stock air filter systems that ARE A JOKE. The engine can't even breath. No wonder it only gets 13mpg in the city and only has 381hp stock. I removed the stock air filter system and self installed an AFE cold air intake box in 1 hr. I already felt a noticeable difference in throttle response. And you know what MORE COLD AIR entering in the engine means--better gas mileage, more hp, and more torque. Then I put the icing on the cake by self installing a plug in UNICHIP computer chip to the tundra's ECU. Understand gentlemen, these 5.7 motors can generate tremendous horsepower and torque, but are tuned DOWN to meet safety standards. The tundra stock computer chip is programmed to allow the engine to generate only a small portion of its capable horsepower, torque, and gas mileage. (THEY GOTTA KEEP THE OIL COMPANYS HAPPY BY MAKING SURE YOU FILL UP YOUR TUNDRA'S FUEL TANK AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE). The UNICHIP I installed safely tells your stock tundra ECU to produce way more hp, torque, along with increased gas mileage. These 2 totally safe modifications to your tundra will cost you about 1100.00, will not void any factory warranty, are do it yourself projects, and will allow your tundra engine to effeciently breath and burn fuel. What does it all come down to?? At least 37-40 more HP, at least 35-40 more TORQUE, and a 2-3 MPG INCREASE. AND VERY POSSIBLY NO MORE ENGINE PING due to stock air intake system...
  • farmerrubefarmerrube Member Posts: 33
    Bet they got that sludge... that is the way of them ones now. Good luck on this one now!
  • washu64washu64 Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem. Mine is a 2000, 4.7 V8 with 110K. Yesterday morning the battery was dead for no apparent reason - jumpstarted it - idled and drove fine until I stopped to make a turn and the engine died. It restarted fine, and runs, but won't idle on it's own.
    Today the battery was dead again and wouldn't take a charge. It was VERY old, so we replaced it. This did not solve the idling problem...
    My fuel filter is only 4 months old, I don't think that is the problem. Would an O2 sensor cause this?
    Already scheduled for some maintenence on Wed. I'll let you know what they tell me about this Luke.
    Any other ideas or explanations would be appreciated before then.
    thanks.
  • luke21luke21 Member Posts: 2
    my guess is that it is the idle air control, I read sometimes they stick. let me know after you're maintence check. Thanks.
  • peaceandquietpeaceandquiet Member Posts: 3
    Are you still following this discussion? I'm interested in your reply, if any, to posts after yours.
    Thanks,
    Pistonslap Lady
  • supertsupert Member Posts: 2
    I started to get rust spots on my rear bumper on my 2008 tundra . Anyone else hear of this problem
  • webgoodwebgood Member Posts: 95
    Are you sure they're truly "rust", or are they maybe "environmental" or "rail dust" deposits? If they're rust, the spot typically has a tiny center "pimple" with a dark brown ring that develops around it. Environment deposits are just like a hard little speck of medium brown sand grain, no ring or "halo" around them. Another check, with the truck washed, run your hand over the vertical part of the bumper and then the painted tailgate surface near the bottom. Do they feel about the same? Then it's probably environmental deposits.
  • supertsupert Member Posts: 2
    They just replaced my brothers on warranty at sherwood park toyota. Alberta. I am expecting a recall or tsb on this.
  • farmerrubefarmerrube Member Posts: 33
    Rustin and bustin... that is the way of them forien ones now! If you need one for workin.. and lastin long... look to them big3 ones now. Good luck on this one now!
  • msalsburymsalsbury Member Posts: 8
    Do you mean they replace your brother 5.7l tundra engine for the knocking sound? Hey can you email me the details of the rep. or tech that Ok'd the work at msportraits@salsburystudio.com I will drive to Alberta to get my engine fixed there if thats the case because my dealer is giving me the run around .
  • webgoodwebgood Member Posts: 95
    I think you mixed the thread...supert's was about rust spots on the rear bumper.
  • cfazcfaz Member Posts: 2
    I'm going through the same issues can you supply any information you received so I can try and get mine fixed too!
  • cfazcfaz Member Posts: 2
    If I have the right thread. Looking for someone who has any information on how to get the Toyota Tundra knocking sound fixed under warranty. Sounds as if someone was able to get it done in Alberta . Get 5.7 engine replaced. If anyone has any information about who to contact or dealer who did work or anything I can bring to my dealer for backup would appreciate. This knocking developed about 33k miles and been battling now for months and only have only 6000 miles left on warranty. I had this issue with 1997 Ford 5.4 about same mileage when it started. Turned out to be Ford had some engines produced that were machined improperly.They finally gave me a new engine. Took almost year and many miles latter to get it because of back order of replacement engines but I got it. Went to 235k before selling it. Never thought I wopuld have this issue with a Toyota engine.
  • eric70eric70 Member Posts: 2
    ive had the same problem cause was to much oil on the k&n after cleaning
  • mikeswiftmikeswift Member Posts: 1
    :sick: 2001 Tundra 2WD with 3.4L 6 cyl. throws rod through right side of block. Looks like #1 from outside. 109,220miles. Light usage. Truck never worked hard.Very discouraged. Been bragging my 3 Toyotas up now this. I'm a 3Kmi. oil change type. Local TOY garage says they've never heard of this at this low milage. Other local other type dealers I know say the same. Engine still in truck so no idea what happened yet. Have yet to hear of this problem anywhere. I'm always the guinea pig. :mad:
  • umbi2011umbi2011 Member Posts: 1
    Another Toyota defect! We have a 2003 Toyota Tundra, V6, 4WD with 96,000 miles.
    Other than the manufacturers defects (rust frame) our 2003 Tundra was in mint condition until yesterday. We were driving the car on a residential street, 30 miles per hour, and suddenly heard a noice. My husband immediately shifted the gear into neutral, pulled over and shut the truck off. It then began leaking oil. We towed our Tundra to the Toyota dealership in Tyson's corner. The Toyota dealership claimed that it is our problem and they blamed us for not enough lubrication (oil). We have documents to prove that we have changed the oil every 3000-4000 miles since 2003 and we have always used high grade Castrol GTX 5W-30 oil. Our oil was changed 400 miles ago and when the car was towed it the tank was still 3/4 full. It turns out that the piston rod blew a whole in the side of the engine with ceased the engine. The only way that this can be explained is a bad luck and a manufacturers defect. We now need to replace the engine, at our own expense, for upwards of $7,400 for a used engine. Bad enough, we have been waiting for Toyota to honor their recall for rusting for over a year to no avail. Now this. We are so discouraged as we believed in the Toyota brand and we really like our truck but we have been plagued with problems. What is there to do now?
  • fromerfanfromerfan Member Posts: 1
    Stopped at the end of my driveway when the engine started to race with the vehicle in drive. My foot was one the brake and pressing harder as the rear wheels overcame the ABS and drove me out into the road. The tundra hit a vehicle coming down the hill from the left and continued to push it clear across the two lane road. The engine just as suddenly stopped revving and stopped. Once out of the car, I witnessed the engine take off again thankfully the vehicle was in park. This was witnessed by the two occupants of the other vehicle. Is there any one out there who has also experience this type of failure? Is there any record of this type of fault?
  • bigrob215275bigrob215275 Member Posts: 3
    I have had trouble with 2005 Toyota Tundra engine dying with codes P0171 and P0174 lean fuel on both banks at 60,000 miles. 5 Toyota Dealerships later Ive replaced the MAF spark plugs, both catalytic converters and they say it may be O2 sensors at $400 times 2 and 150 times 2 for the rear ones. This truck has almost gotten me killed more than a few times because engine dying in heavy traffic. Luckily I hope I found an independant technician who in 15 min ran an amp ramp test on the fuel pump. It failed and was aflat line aqt 4 amps when it should vary between 4 and 10 or 12 and down again. Dealers test fuel pressure but not volume of fuel which he says this does. So we'll find out tomorrow.
    Replaced on their advice the mass air fuel sensor MAF, the spark plugs, both catalytic converters and they washed out the air plenum all at 60,000 miles. After the cats were replaced it ran okay for a couple of months and then 1500 miles from home it does the same things again. Dealership suggests new O2 sensors but an independant tech ran an amp ramp test of the fuel pump and he says that it has pressure but no volume because the metered amps were a flat line at 4 amps instead of varying from 4 to 10-12 back to 4 again. So they will show me tomorrow whether it solves the problems I and others have had.
    As per my last message the amp ramp test is the correct test. The NAPA Technicians at TUNEX took the fuel pump out and replaced it.
    I took the fuel pump apart and found it plugged with coffee grinds. Thanks evil ones.
    Replacing the pump fixed the engine dying and no power problem as proved by the scans which showed the amps at 7.5amps up to 9 amps and down again. Another scan proof showed the short time and long time fuel numbers at near 10 and over 30 respectively the injectors trying to compensate for lack of fuel. Those numbers came down to under 3 and 10 respectively and going down more as the averages count the new improved low numbers. The new pump installed actually led to the engine light going out by itself as it recognized the repair.
  • pvtcablepvtcable Member Posts: 7
    the problem maybe with the flex fuel.I have had to resort to the lemon law and get an attorney. Toyota knows of the condition problem but refuses to tell anybody about it when they're selling these cars. They will not stand behind it they will not let you off the least it will not give you a replacement vehicleregardless of how much you spent or how many Toyotas you driven in the past.there is some type of problem with the mixture of oxygen in fuel. It's a software problem they say. They know about it but they do not have a fixed and not telling any new customers. When the problem happens it makes the truck run rough, start had and hesitates during acceleration and when using passing gear so be very careful. the only cure so far anyway is do not drive for less than 5 minutes at a time, do not run on less than a quarter of a tank of fuelonly drive in temperatures of over 50 degrees.the problem also happens after the seventh or eighth fill up.they may offer to make a monthly payment for you or to extend your warranty but that does not fix the problem. When you drive as much as I do the car has to go in for service about every 2 weeks.I would check this out carefully before you sign anything. Or at least look into the lemon laws first
  • dbagz1959dbagz1959 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2001 tundra, bought it new, 83000 miles, when it gets to operating temp it develops a miss while at idle, and the check engine lite comes on, seems fine when crusing. took it to one shop and they said the code showed that some of the plugs were loose, repaired that, check engine lite was now out. five days later same problem. took it to dealership, same codes for plugs.they replaced all the plugs, problem fixed. two weeks later same problem. any one have this problem or any ideas what is causing this? thanks for your sugestions.
  • pikalpikal Member Posts: 1
    At 2:00 AM July 30, 2013 a friend of mine woke up when he heard what he thought was someone stealing his truck. He armed himself and made his way cautiously out to the truck to confront the thief/s. There was no one there! The truck had "started itself" with no keys in the ignition? He went and got the keys, shut off the truck and went back inside his home. Several minutes later it started up again without the keys in the ignition! This time he shut off the truck with the ignition key and removed the negative battery cable. The truck did not "start itself" this time. When he starts the truck with the ignition key now, he is unable to shut it off unless he slightly turns the key to the start position and then quickly to the off position. He then leaves the battery cable disconnected until he is ready to start it again.
    The Technicians @ Toyota Dealership were unable to use their Computer to try and diagnose the problem? Not sure why?
    Unfortunately the truck's warranty has expired and the Dealer is not prepared to further investigate the problem.
    ...this story is factually true and scared the hell out of him thinking someone was stealing his truck.
    Has anyone ever had a similar experience with this make and model???
  • meboudinmeboudin Member Posts: 1
    My check engine light came on .so went do a code check, it gave me a 43 which is a purge value sensor, or replacement part. Please help with this so i dopnt spend a lot of money
    an not fix the problem. Thanks