Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • mnrovermnrover Member Posts: 52
    I have both the K&N Air Filter and Oil Filter. No real impressive gains from the air filter, but slightly noticeable. Love the Oil Filter - wouldn't use anything else..
  • blockislandguyblockislandguy Member Posts: 336
    I'm surprised that no one has posted on the LR3. It will be a new departure for LR bringing new people into the fold and, probably making the last of the rigid axle units worth saving. I see that the '04 Disco is now around 32K as a demo unit at most dealers. If you're going to get a live axle Disco and save it, this is the one.
  • jstevensjstevens Member Posts: 5
    Hi everybody,
    I own a 2000 disc II- Every once in a while the M & S mode lights will start flashing simultaneously.-when that happens the truck becomes very sluggish at takeoffs as if it's stuck in third gear. So far my dealer has misdiagnosed it by replacing the XYZ switch--no cure. I've read a couple of places where someone replaced the transmission control module only to have the flash again after 1000 miles.
      By the way, is the TCU the same as the control module?
      just curious if anyone has experienced this problem--All inputs would be helpful.
    thanks
  • charlie2k2charlie2k2 Member Posts: 15
    Hello, I own a 2003 Discovery and had a similar incident with the flashing M and S lights. For me, it was a bad cell in the car battery. According to my local dealership techs, the mechanism for shifting the transmission gears would not receive the power needed to shift through the various gear speeds. It essentially felt as if it was stuck in 3rd, just as you have mentioned. They replaced the battery and the problem was solved. Perhaps you have a loose cable connection, since it only happens every now and then, or your battery may be going bad.

Just giving you my experience.
    Charlie
    thanks Charlie-the dealer did check the battery-It was OK. It's funny my Dealer had to contact LRNA to ask for input--Apparently the Battery is one of several possible issues--Although the Owner's Manual refers to it as an electrical fault.
    Thanks for the input--I'll check for any loose wires.
  • discomandiscoman Member Posts: 110
    What's so special about the oil filter?
    I had the same issue with my Disco II. That means that the transmission is in "limp home" mode. This is a safety mechanism put in place by Land Rover. You can reset the computer and resume normal driving by letting the Rover sit for about 30 minutes. This should reset the computer and provide a short-term fix. I would take it in and have LR look at it. I had a slew of electrical problems. Too many to list. you can email me privately and I can discuss what happened and what the problem was. ( flyingvinnie@hotmail.com ) I had surges that would blow out relays and fuses and reset the main computer. Whenever I would be sitting idle at a stoplight and hit the gas to take off, the radio would cut out temporarily, reset and come back on and I could hear the motor "Ringing and Buzzing" that would increase in frequency as the RPMS from the motor increase through my stereo system. After over 10 visits, 3 alternators, new steering column, 2 stereo systems, 2 new fuse boxes, new electrical harness for everything in the vehicle, they were able to find where I was having electrical surges coming from. The culprit was the climate control. Finally, LR put a voltage/surge supressor that Audi had on their vehicles.
    thanks Josh-I'll e-mail you soon
    Did that info help you out at all?
    thanks a million for sharing your nightmare with those lights. I'm heading to the Dealer on Friday. I'll keep you all posted.
    Thanks again Josh
    Have any of you (Especially you Nanuq, since you have a 96 like mine) experienced a rattling sound while idling in your Disco. I don't get it all the time, but sometimes it sounds like there is really something loose rattling around in there. The noise goes away upon acceleration, but whan you stop at a stoplight, or pull into the garage it can be really bad. I don't have any strange feelings in the tranny while driving. Shifting is normal, and acceleration is normal too. I wonder if there is a screw loose or something in there that is causing it. Any ideas?
    Anytime! Glad I could help!

Josh
    Could it be a heat shield or the Cats? I read about the cats getting hot and something inside them becoming loose and rattling around?? Anyone else hear about that? I think I read that in an Atlantic British catalog. (www.roverparts.com)
  • nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    I just had this happen on the Wifemobile, and it was indeed the cat converter. There are plates in there that can break and fall to pieces, then they rattle. It sounds BAD idling inside a garage or puttering along a side street, eh? Get beneath your truck and give the suspect cat a whack with your hand (when it's cold) and you'll likely hear stuff rattling around in there.

When you have it replaced they'll likely tell you to replace the aft muffler too, since "it's all full of broken plates". Tell them to just cut that piece out and use a straight section of tubing. It'll sound nice when they're done.
    Just wanted to update disco II owners on the flashing mode lights problem I had been having. My dealer was clueless about it as they wanted anywhere fron 1 to 15 hours to diagnose the electrical fault--SO I took my truck home and did the following(I've not seen the damn lights for 200 miles now-Knock on..) to clear the lights.

#1-Disconnect battery-clean heads- compter was reset.

#2-clean fuse box and replace one blown fuse(rear defroster).

Not only are the lights gone but the truck's acceleration is no longer sluggish--
      By the way I did get a $400 refund from the Dealer and thank them for nothing.
      Thanks again Josh and charlie2k2 for your inputs.
  • blockislandguyblockislandguy Member Posts: 336
    There is a rave review of the LR3 in the new issue of Top Gear, the very British car magazine. They think that it will be better than the Rover off road and the best thing since sliced bread on the road.

Incidentally, for the first time in the Sunday Boston Globe, new 2004 Disco's are now under 30K. Unless you are one of those who likes to buy high and sell low, this might be a good time to get a Disco II and let the LR3 sort out any launch problems.
    No problem. Hope that does the trick! Good luck.
    Josh
  • newb911newb911 Member Posts: 3
    I am in the market for a used Discovery. I have located a couple of them here in Houston.

I ran the VIN's through Carfax and they both come back very clean!

Being a long time lurker here in the Forum, I know the some of you have access to more of their history. I sure would appreciate any further info that you guys can give me on these two Discos! Thank you!!!

VIN SALTY12471A705118
    VIN SALTY12401A293432

Look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks again!
  • rovernutrovernut Member Posts: 2
    On Tuesday, I drove the 500 mile round trip to my CLOSEST LR dealer. I enquired about the LR3, and found out only what we can find on the net. Nobody has seen the actual vehicle, only pics. Like you blockislandguy, I think the live axle '04 will be a keeper, in fact while at the dealership, I traded my '01 disco for a '04 Mya Gold one in SE trim. I told them to take their useless '18" tires and rims off, and put my 16" GoodYear MTRs on it. I really like the 4.6 engine, but miss little stuff like a weatherband, tilting passanger seat, and brake peddel throb at start up, but overall think this will be a keeper. From all reports the LR3 is going to be just too smooth and fancy to herd all over the Rocky Mountains, as I do my last two Discos. It probably will be a technological wonder, but computers and electronics have a history of going out when you need 'em. The present Disco has too many, and to add twice as many??? I think not! If the LR3 does bring move Rover Heads to the fold, I say bring 'em on!!
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    There are currently only 4 LR3's in the US. which are pre-production units brought in for the NY auto show. Retailers will not be getting their first vehicles until Sept. with the official sales date being November 1st. I have seen the actual vehicle and am extremely impressed with what I have seen. Fit and finish are excellent, especially for a pre-prod. Hopefully I'll be able to drive one in the next couple of months.
  • alattalatt Member Posts: 11
    Hi,

Has anyone installed GPS and/or DVD player (non-factory) on Disco/Disco II? If so, which ones are good?
    Thanks.
  • miked03miked03 Member Posts: 21
    I am posting this b/c I was surprised to see a recall on a ten year old car? I'll need to watch the movie Fight Club again to understand the formula manufacturers use in determining when to post a recall.

Land Rover Models:
    Land Rover Discovery I Years:1994-1997
    Range Rover Classic Years:1993-1995
    Number Potentially Involved: 45,267
    Dates of Manufacture: December 1993–November 1996
    Defect: On certain sport utility vehicles, the plastic fuel tanks can develop stress cracks. Fuel tank cracks can result in fuel leakage from the underside of the vehicle when filling the tank, particularly if overfilling is attempted. Fuel leakage in the presence of an ignition source could result in a fire.
    Remedy: Dealers will replace the fuel tank. The manufacturer has reported that owner notification is expected to begin during October 2004. Owners may contact Land Rover at 1-866-352-4827.
  • jefftabarjefftabar Member Posts: 4
    We are having trouble with our ABS modulator as well. The ABS TC and Decent lights have come on. We have a 2000 Discovery with 33K. We took it into the dealer for a 30K service, and after starting it the 2nd time these warning lights came on. Upon our return to the dealer, they are indicating this has nothing to do with our service work just performed?

I have called several dealers and mechanics regarding this issue, and ALL say do not authorize any work until this is worked out.

Any adivse you can give would be greatly appreiciated!

Thanks-in-advance,

Jeff Tabar
  • phill27phill27 Member Posts: 31
    Jeff,
    All I can advise is to clean the fuse block thoroughly. I have had similar lights flash. After cleaning the fuses, they haven't returned. This was well over 1500 miles ago. At the least bit, you've ruled out a possible problem. My fuse block was absolutely filthy; it needed a good cleansing! I used electronic contact cleaner for great results.(I had it in hand) Others have simply used a pencil eraser for the same results.
    Bottom line: clean the fuse block.
    Much thanks Phil for the advise. The dealer is now telling us it will need a new modulator for $2,400. Need-less-to-say, we ARE NOT HAPPY, and have contacted the manufacture for some needed assistance.

I will mention to the dealer or try myself the fuse box cleaning. Big picture: this seems to be a more commmon problem then I thought, our research on sites let this has revealed many vehicle owner with a similar problem, but no clear solution. Boy, the story contimues......any other stories/advise from others would be greatly appreciated!

JT
    Oh, I even found that there is a recall on my ABS, not sure if it related, BUT I did ask the dealer if there were any recalls on my vehicle, AND THEY INDICATED NO! Well, not the case.....???? see below.

Land Rover
    Models: Land Rover Discovery II Years: 1999-2004
    Number Potentially Involved: 99,657
    Dates of Manufacture: May 1998 – December 2003
    Defect: On certain sport utility vehicles, the anti-lock braking system (ABS) modulator valve cover retaining bolts can crack due to stresses transmitted by the flexing valve covers. This can produce an unexpected increase in stopping distance, with the potential for total loss of service braking function, which could result in a crash.
    Remedy: Dealers will strengthen the ABS modulator assembly valve covers and replace the retaining bolts. The manufacturer has not yet provided NHTSA with an owner notification schedule for this campaign. Owners may contact Land Rover at 1-800-637-6837.

[NHTSA Recall No. 04V005/Land Rover Recall No. B148]
  • 98discotex98discotex Member Posts: 8
    I'm third owner of a 98 Disco LE and recently had the fuel pump and filter replaced. Now my radio won't work. I've acquired the code from LR, but still not working. What's the procedure in getting it to re-activate? I've punched it in with the key on and now the word CODE flashes... Any help would be appreciated. I've got the owner's manual, but am wondering if I've missed something. Thanks!
  • 98discotex98discotex Member Posts: 8
    newb911 I'm also in Houston. After years of searching for a used Rover actually found an immaculate one in the Chicago area and drove it down last November. There's also a super clean looking one (dark blue) on a lot on 1960 between Mills and Perry roads. It's been there for the past couple of months so they want to talk seriously about it. Good Luck.
    I wonder if you got the wrong code? On my truck I just key it in and it beeps and comes alive. Nothing mysterious about it, and mine is a '96.

Give 'em another try... ask a different person to look it up for you?

Just my $.02
    98discotex

I actually had this problem last week. I took out all the fuses under the hood to clean them, and when I got back in my truck, all I got when I turned on the radio was the word CODE. I punched in the code that came with my 96 disco and it didn't work. Then I tried it again. The word code just blinked. SO I thought "Here's something, so I entered it again!!! Then I found out that if you enter the wrong code 3 times in a row it locks up the radio, and you have to leave the radio on, with the word CODE on, and the key in the ignition in ACC for at least one hour for the radio to decide it isn't stolen and resets itself. (There is no way around this). So then I called my LR service department, and gave them my VIN. Sure enough, the code that I had, matched the code the service department got when they entered my VIN into their system. So I had to take my truck to them (because I don't have the special tool they need to get the radio out) so they could get the serial # off the radio itself and call the manufacturer to get the code. Sure enough the code they got from the manufacturer was different, and it was also correct. They had several theories behind this. 1) the original radio broke, and the previous owner had it replaced by the dealer, who forgot to enter it into the computer, so the changed code never got entered into the system. 2) The serial # is one number off when it was entered into the system so the code I have is for a radio in someone elses Rover. or 3) The original radio broke, and the previous owner purchased an other from a parts house like Atlantic-British, or Roverconnection, and replaced it himself, but neglected to include the new radio code cards when he sold the vehicle. Either way, you will probably have to go to LR and get the codes. Some dealers, if they don't know you, will require physical presence because they have to prove you are, in fact, the owner of the vehicle before they will give you the codes.
  • odiopusodiopus Member Posts: 47
    I recently had my tires replaced at popular tire shop (Discount tires) primarily because they usually stock a large variety of tires.

Anyway, after a couple of weeks my tires were installed I wanted to visually check my brakes, but the oem tool that I have used for the past 3 years did not fit the caps to the lug nuts? All the caps seemed to be too large for the tool (with the exception of the spare lug nuts). The tool fits perfectly on the few unused spare lug nuts I have stored in my garage, but will not budge on the lug nuts I have on my wheels?? I have looked very closely and compared the lug nuts and they seem to be identical. I drove back to the tire dealer and the technician said he'd never seen anything like it and I asked him if they could have accidentally used another set of lug nuts when my tires were replaced, but he commented that they have to use a special adapter specifically for Land Rover and Land Rover lug nuts are unique to Land Rover.

I'm kind of at a loss and can't figure out why the tool I have used since '01 to rotate and replace my brakes no longer fits the lug nuts??

The only thing I can conclude is that the tire dealer did not use the appropriate adapter to uninstall/install my wheels and damaged the caps to the lug nuts, hence preventing the use of the tool that was included with the vehicle...

Does anyone have any similiar experiences, suggestions or advice? I wanted to post this before I called Land Rover...

Odiopus
    Can you compare the lug nut size vs. your oil pan drain bolt? I believe they're the same size.

Are you CERTAIN you got your original wheels back? Mine is a '96 and my wheels are distinct to that model year.

If your tool fits the lugs you have stored in the garage and your spare, and yet not the lugs on your truck, then they were swapped inadvertently. Land Rovers are not as uncommon as they once were, and it may be there was another one in the shop at the same time. Perhaps someone got your wheels and lugs and you got his?

Something similar happened to me, I had my truck in for work and shortly after I noticed my wheel hub center caps (plastic caps 3" across) were falling out. I went back and sure enough, I had a set from another year. They gave me back my '96 caps and now they stay put.
    They are the same wheels indeed as I could confirm by the nicks and scratches and the technician said they only service one land Rover every 4 months or so... (I also had an incident where the shop lost one of my caps and they re-ordered the cap from Land Rover for me.)

Thanks for the response...

Odiopus
  • derby98derby98 Member Posts: 1
    A very informative board. I am in the market for a 99-00 Disc II with the Performance package. After reading thrugh all the messages on this forum i'm now not sure if i should really be looking at the Discovery at all. All the brake modulator problems. ABS...warning lights etc..etc..all adds up to a major dent in the pocket book! Any thoughts? Are there actual owners of Disco II who have had a trouble free ownership experience? Thanks.
  • buroskyburosky Member Posts: 90
    Derby, unfortunately, in forums like this, most of the postings will be about things that are not going quite right. No matter what you buy, there will always be a chance of getting one that is more "sickly" than the others. I just hope I don't jinx myself but so far my 2001 Disco II SE7 has been very good to me. Aside from the usual maintenance, warranty covered repairs and recalls, it's been running like a swiss watch. It all boils down to what you really want. If your main concern is reliability, there are certainly some available out there that might be more reliable than a Rover. However, I think most if not all of the people on this board will agree, if you want a car that would inspire passion, Rovers are the way to go. This is not intended to sway your decision one way or another. Just speaking from my own experience.
    Many people would agree the DII is more reliable than a DI and that's what I own. I had initial teething pains and now my DI is by far the most reliable (and durable) vehicle I've ever owned. I'd think a DII would be even better.

Burosky is right, very few people sign on here just to say how wonderful their truck has been this month! Compare the postings here with other topics and you'll see they are typically simple problems and inexpensive to fix. For example, are there ANY posts here about failed engine blocks or head gaskets ot blown transmissions or transfer cases? Nothing about failed differentials or half shafts or CV joints or suspension or anything like that. Nothing at all. That's why I bought a Rover... to me it's the "hard parts" that matter and they're tough as nails.

Just for an eye opener, read the other threads about Explorers or Expeditions or 4Runners or etc. and see what those owners have to say. Yikes!
  • mrtoad3mrtoad3 Member Posts: 68
    Derby98, I must say that the others are correct when they say the msg boards for the various manufacturers are full of more negative complaints whereas this board is mainly full of minor repair advice and modification recommendations. My 2001 Disco II SE7 has been the best car I've ever owned. With 29K miles, it still has the original brake pads at 50%. I have had only recall work done under warranty and that's it! Amazing reliabilty and solid build by BMW. The only thing that I have agonized over was which tires to upgrade to.:) If you are looking for DII's, I'd stick with 2001 or newer. All bugs ironed-out by then for the most part. I love this car so much that I bought a '00 RR as well. I hope this helps in your decision.
  • lightcahilllightcahill Member Posts: 22
    Derby98,
    I can't speak for the older Discos, but I can for the 2003. Purchased mine in Jan., 2003. Now have almost 19,000 miles on it. Absolutely nothing has gone wrong with it other than the recall for the brake modulator. Took that in to be fixed last Thursday and it was ready almost before I had finished my free cup of coffee and looked at the LR3 brochure that they had. On top of that they washed it and cleaned the inside.

Trips have included (from Denver), the East Coast, Florida and Montana/Washington/Oregon. I have not treated it lightly, as we have taken it up over some of the delightful trails in the mountains west of Denver. Were it not for the gas mileage differential, I think we'd prefer to drive it over our Germanic propeller insignia 5 series station wagon, which, in itself, is a wonderful over the road vehicle.

Our dealer is giving awesome discounts on new 2004 models, so perhaps a new one is a better choice.

Light Cahill
  • jonty12jonty12 Member Posts: 101
    I'm thinking at this stage that an 04 is the way to go. EU/German pricing for the LR3 (05) has ben released, and it appears the 05 will have upwards of a 40% price increase over the 04.

That puts it in a whole new class. HSE starts at 57K (compared to 41K last year).

Based on that, getting a great deal on an 04 now, or better yet, when they want to get them off the lots in a few months, might be the way to go.

See my post on the 2005 Discovery forum

jonty12 "2005 Discovery" Jun 23, 2004 12:01pm
  • aztecsunaztecsun Member Posts: 7
    I own a 2000 Disco2 and a couple of days ago I was called by LR to participate in the focus session here, in NJ. After spending about 40 min on the phone and answering a whole bunch of questions I was slotted to participate in the 'no accessories' group this, upcoming Saturday, and told that my pay for 2hrs work will be $125. Today I recieved a call saying that the session was overbooked. I think that those bastards got all the info for free during that phone interview! While on the phone though, I never mentioned the following points:
    1. Gas tank lind opens by itself whenever I shut off the engine.
    2. Rear door hinges had to be replaced at 22K miles.
    3. Steering box went around the same time.
    4. ABS recall.
    5. Handles like a pickup truck from 30 years ago.
    6. The $1000 Windshield can not be replaced by anyone other than the dealer.
    7. Impossible to put kids in the back seat because the rear doors are too damn narrow and don't open wide enough!
    8. The roof rack is useless.
    9. 12 miles/gal! 12! Even the arabs stopped driving these gas guzzlers. Dodge Viper gives you about 15 - while producing 500 hp!
    10. Slow. Feel like an idiot when over-accelerated by a car that costs half of what I paid.
    11. Resale value? What resale value?
    All of this (and more) caused me to form the following opinion:
    LR produces cars of dubious quality. They are overpriced, gas-gussling, bad-handling, slow-accelerating vehicles that, unless the image is what you're after, don't belong in your driveway.
    I wanted to add to the comments about the reliability of the Disco II. I own a 2001 Disco II SE7 nad have never had amy major problems, yes a fuse here and there may have gone out and the sunroofs a little sqeaky at times, but other than that I have had 0 mechanical problems driving from NY to LA and to Baja, Mexico (like burosky, I hope I don't jinx myself), but my Disco still feels and rides like the day I bought it (on and off the road). I have been rear ended numerous times and not once has the Disco suffered damage (with the exception of a cracked rear plastic lens, couple of bucks to replace). The other cars on the other hand appeared to have been in major car accidents... My cost of ownership has been well under $1200 (excluding gasoline and oil) for brake pads at 36K miles, tires at 38K miles, and a headlight and fog light replacement damaged by road debris. Now that LR offers the maintenance plan for free it is well worth the investment. I love this vehicle so much I'm not even considering the LR3.
  • booeybooey Member Posts: 2
    My question is simple. If a 99 or 00 Disco II has 18" wheels..does that mean the Vehicle has ACE. (Active cornering Enhancement)?
    Could you get 18" wheels without ACE?

Thanks for any insight
  • mrtoad3mrtoad3 Member Posts: 68
    I believe that the DII's with 18" wheels from '99 to '04 have ACE when purchased new from a dealer in the US. Euro spec models can come with 16" wheels and have ACE. The only US spec models to come with 16" wheels and ACE were the orange '99 Trek models. I know dealers would not swap wheels for you due to some liability issue regarding cornering at higher speeds with ACE and 16" wheels. Hope this helps.
  • jarzynajarzyna Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have an idea how long the Disco II will be available? More importantly will the incentives get better thru the fall? My dealer told me they forgive the last 6 lease payments and I get about $6500 in discounts. Unfortunately I have 11 payments left but want to move before the LR3 is widely available (At 57K the vehicle has little appeal for me.)
    If judging by my dealers inventory things should get materially better. I have never seen so many new trucks on the lot.

thanks
    mike
  • lrover1lrover1 Member Posts: 8
    The Discovery Series II is no longer in production, so the only trucks available will be in dealer inventories and at port. I am a sales guide at a LR centre and we just received our last discos we had ordered. But from what I have heard, there still should be a nice lot at port.

On your lease, even though Land Rover is willing to pay off your last six months, you can still get out of your disco now, and into a new one. Ask the dealer to factor in the remaining five payments on your current Disco and see if there is any owner loyalty available. It would make sense to turn it in now because there is no reason to pay those extra five months on a car that you are leasing. The '04 Disco's are great trucks, especially with the returning of cent. diff. lock. I have an '03 and I have taken it off-road at least a dozen times with the local owner's club, I love it! The free maintenance is great, I haven't paid a dime since I bought the car (we don't receive demos, so we have to buy our cars, unfortunately.) An '04 is the way to go, such a great value.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

lrover1
    Dude, do yourself a favor (or should it be favour?) - buy a Honda Pilot (great quality and resale value) or a Ford Explorer (no resale value, but made in the USA).
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Sorry to hear about your misfortunes. Perhaps you'd be interested in the Honda Pilot or Ford Explorer/Mercury Mountaineer discussions.

tidester, host
    Lots of polarized opinions and both, satisfied and unhappy car owners out there. Seems like the Pilot and Explorer have their share of problems too. Maybe I was a little unfair in my harsh criticism of the Disco II. It is a pretty solid car, but it's still tough to put (strike that) - insert kids in the back seat. I think the 2004 model is a bit roomier. I'm keeping the car, of course. Or I may just upgrade to '04 Disco - I hear they're being heavily discounted.
    I may have overreacted a bit in my Land Rover critique. Other brands have their share of problems. Disco II is a pretty solid car, but it's still tough to put (strike that) - insert kids in the back seat. I think the 2004 model is a bit roomier. I'm keeping the car, of course. Or I may just upgrade to '04 Disco - I hear they're being heavily discounted.