Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan Real World MPG

Comments

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    I heard the gearing was different but didn't check. It is lighter due to limited options which also helps.
  • freakintoddlesfreakintoddles Member Posts: 1
    I'll give you that the Prius isn't the coolest looking vehicle on the road... but small? Did you actually sit in the thing? I am currently deciding between a Prius or a 4-cyl Fusion SE and let me tell you, the prius may be MORE roomy if anything, especially in the back seat. I am a 6'2 male and I sat in all 5 seats in both cars (2010 versions) and I don't hit my head on the ceiling in ANY of the back seats in the Prius where as I do in the middle back seat of the Fusion.

Also I like the JBL audio system in the Prius better than the Sony system in the Fusion. But.... I still like the Fusion better for looks and overall driving. Bleh tough choice.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    OTOH, if you actually want to put three in the back, which would be the only reason for someone to sit in the middle, it would be less likely to work in the Prius, due to less rear hip and shoulder room.
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    Well I have 1000 miles on the new ride. The computer says 26.7 avg mpg and that is mostly short trips. I could not be happier with this car.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    The computer says 26.7 avg mpg and that is mostly short trips. I could not be happier with this car.

Would you be happier with 26.8 avg mpg? :P Then you COULD be happier with the car!

Just messing with you - I really like the Fusion. How does the computer do with mileage compared to actual? Its fairly accurate on my girlfriend's Santa Fe, but my parents' '08 Taurus is usually pessimistic by 1/2 to 1 MPG.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,204
    my 07 fusion awd is usually optimistic by about .5 (half a) mpg.
    i have a hard time seeing the '.' :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    How does the computer do with mileage compared to actual?

I am not sure because I have not checked it yet. I was going to wait till the engine breaks in and then compare. as long as its close I will not worry. I am happy with anything over 25mpg. Its getting cold here in Cincy so it will be interesting to see how the mileage holds up. I know my Toyota Taco dips below 20mpg when its cold out.
  • titletowntitletown Member Posts: 7
    I've been slightly disappointed in the ave. mpg for our recently purchased used 2008 4 cyl. auto Fusion (purchased Oct. '09 w/ 12,300 miles). With over 13,500 miles now (it should be broken in), I recently calculated the ave. mpg manually and found that for the last two tanks we have averaged 20.65 and 19.5, respectively. However, the car is driven in heavy suburban traffic in the Wash. DC suburbs - about 90 % city/suburban traffic - with very limited highway miles. Other posters with the older 4 cyl, seem to be getting much better results even in the city or is this about right given the hard, constant suburban/city driving (a lot of stop and go) w/ an automatic? Of course driving style can influence but should I look at alternatives - e.g., air filters, type of gas. etc... to improve performance?
    Thanks TT
    CR got 15 mpg city in their test of a 4 cyl Fusion/Milan in both 2006 and 2009, so it is definitely possible to get amazingly low mileage under the "right" conditions.
    i assume you are not driving too far today.
    first i would check you air pressures and bump them up a bit, so see if that makes a difference.
    you should check your air filter to make sure it is clean.
    any type of heat or cooling runs the a/c compressor, which cuts city mileage.
    the odomoeter can also be off by a bit, but under the conditions you drive, it really can't be measured for accuracy.
    are you a transplant from somewhere else? DC is not 'titletown'. ;)
    I don't think having the heat on always runs the A/C, normally that is only the case when it is on "defrost" setting with all or most air flow directed to the windshield.
  • titletowntitletown Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the reminders on how to hopefully bump up MPG. As Jeffyscott points out our daily commute pattern may be ideal for low MPG, though it makes our 2007 Pilot at 15 mpg for the same driving conditions seem less offensive now. I'll keep monitoring and hopefully gain some improvement over time. At any rate, generally really like the experience with the fusion after 2 months; compared to the '95 Taurus it replaced, it drives like a BMW.

And you are so correct about Wash. DC not being title town for professional sports. I'm actually a local here in the DC area with the title town term a tongue in cheek reference that I and couple of old friends/teammates use for our perennial runner up status in high school sports 30 years ago in suburban MD. Glory days....
  • tldtld Member Posts: 37
    Anyone have any real life experiences with an AWD Fusion and what type of mileage they are getting?
  • urnewsurnews Member Posts: 668
    Anyone have any real life experiences with an AWD Fusion and what type of mileage they are getting?

Our experiences have been very poor. All-city driving averages are about 15 mpg, sometimes as low as 13. We have only taken a few trips during our 16,000 miles and averaged 24 mpg on those. We have a 3.0-liter, V6 AWD 2007 SEL. We love the car except for the mileage, which sucks.
  • bluefalconbluefalcon Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 Fusion sport 3.5 v6 FWD, has about 3000 mile now. I am getting about 21mpg, about 60city and 40freeway time.
    the climate and type driving you do makes a big difference.
    my 07 fusion awd is averaging about 22 mpg. high around 27, low about 18.
    pretty much what the sticker had on it.
    have just over 22k on it, so i think it will keep getting better.
    hoping for a 23 mpg average overall.
    Last tank mostly highway 29MPG car has 4,000 miles on it.
  • phyxerphyxer Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Merc Milan mwith 47,000 miles on it now, Duratec 3.0 engine, 5 speed automatic, all the bells and whistles.
    cruises well at 72 mph, with average of 33.4 mpg both on computer and manual calculation. Stop and go driving drops that to 26.4 mpg, and I have never seen under 20 mpg yet!
    Car is smooth, seems quicker with traction control turned off, and in general is one of Ford's truly quality vehicles. Abig change from my 96 continental, which was great, but in the shop a lot for computer glitches.
    tried the Hybrid fusion, and found it didn't get any better mileage than this one, and in fact gets almost 3 mpg less at 7o mph.
    DF
  • urnewsurnews Member Posts: 668
    I thought the automatic in the Fusions/Milans was a six-speed automatic. Am I wrong?
  • donl1donl1 Member Posts: 112
    My 07 I4 Premier has the 5 speed.
  • neile457neile457 Member Posts: 65
    2010 upgraded to a 6 speed, I believe
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Before the 2010 model debuted, 4-cyl models were 5-speed only, V6 were 6-speed only.
  • newowner10newowner10 Member Posts: 227
    I believe the mileage could come down close to the standard 4 cylinder.
    If you are not in the city but in a more suburban route you would be stooping at stop sign the accelerating to 45 MPH then stopping again. You would be using the gas engine to accelerate then cruising along going up and down hills. You would not be running on the electric motor at any time.
    Does the electric motor continue to push the car even when you are going 65 MPH and the gas engine is running? If that is the case I could see the the millage could always be better then the 4 cylinder mileage.
    My concern is with the Hybrid versus the 4 cylinder and with the rebate on the 4 cylinder there is a 5,000 difference in the purchase price. You would need to save a lot of gas to make up the difference.
  • tico1447tico1447 Member Posts: 4
    I needed to lease a new car and was tempted by the Fusion ad for $167.00 a month. Of course it was for 24 months, 10,000 miles a year and I needed 36 months, 20,000 miles a year. My Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealer gave me a price of $282.00/month for a loaded 2010 Milan. Loaded with all power stuff including driver's seat, moonroof, back up alarm, 17" aluminum wheels, bucket seats, console, floor shift, I4, 6 speed automatic, SYNC, (that answers your phone and places calls by voice commands), Sirius (free for 6 months, 36 month, 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty,5 years 60,000 mile powertrain warranty, spoiler, LED tailights, puddle lights, fog lamps, right and left outside heated mirrors, rear window defogger, traction control, ABS, dual lighted vanity mirrors, and much more than I can remember. I told the dealer that I needed to be closer to $200.00 a month and I left. he calls four days later to tell me I can get the car for $249.00 a month on a 39 month lease.

So before I go to get the car I decide to see what else is out there. I stopped at several other dealers but didn't find anything that impressed me the way the Milan did. I did stop at the Chevy dealer because they had just started running ads for malibu LS for $188.00 lease. Same as Ford, 24/10,000. I look at a Malibu LS which is really stripped and on Impala that at least had power driver's seat. The Milan, Malibu and Impala all listed around $24,500. The Chevy dealer works up a number on the Malibu and Impala, $329.00 for the Malibu and $429.00 for the Impala. No GM incentives on the Impala is why it was so much higher. I leave and went over to get the Milan. It is a georgous car! I have put almost 700 miles on it so ar and I am averaging 27.1 MPG so far. It rides like a dream and looks good. I love the SYNC feature! It is the most comfortable car I've ever driven.

Now I understand why Ford is making money without government grants and GM is still taking their money. And keep in mind that the Fusion/Milan/Malibu/Impala are all about the same size. Nascar uses the Fusion, Malibu and Impala as their base vehicles.

I can't say enough nice things about my Milan.

Mr. Ed
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    I am about to buy a 2008 SEL with the 3.0 engine. It has the 6 speed. The 2.3 has the five speed. The 2010 2.5 has upgraded to the six speed.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Does the electric motor continue to push the car even when you are going 65 MPH and the gas engine is running? If that is the case I could see the the millage could always be better then the 4 cylinder mileage.
    My concern is with the Hybrid versus the 4 cylinder and with the rebate on the 4 cylinder there is a 5,000 difference in the purchase price. You would need to save a lot of gas to make up the difference. "

The Ford Hybrid system does use the electric motor at all speeds.
  • podpod Member Posts: 176
    In the first 900 miles I have averaged 30.9 mpg. The built-in calculator is pretty accurate at 30.6 mpg. I drive at 67 mph (w/ cruise control on highway) and at traffic flow locally. Mix: 60% local (residential stop and go) and 40% highway. The manual says not to bother calculating MPG until it has 1-3K miles on the odometer. I expect the MPG will increase in time by 4-5 MPG. My ten year old Sable V6 got about 24.5 local and 31 highway. I don't really miss the V6 since I am not a jackrabbit type. I like the quietness of the cabin. My only complaint is that the bolstering on the driver's seatback (cloth covered) seems too wide prohibiting my back from resting comfortably against the seat back. Couple that with the headrest angle and I have had to fiddle with the steering wheel controls and the seat positions to be comfortable. In time I will likely put a cushion in there to fill the space and support my back. Otherwise I am pleased. Ironically I do not have a cell phone and hate the damn things so all the synch features are inaccessible to me even though in the car. Call me a Luddite.
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    OK I have had my Fusion SE now for 6 months, I went from a 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe with the 2.5L w/CVT. I was averaging 30 MPG with that car, 75% highway and 25% city.

After 6 months with the Fusion the computer is telling me I'm averaging 29.6. Now I live in PHX,AZ, so the A/C is running all the time, and I do drive the car some what hard, the 6 spd manual is a wonderful transmission. I took the car for its first long distance trip PHX to San Diego and back. Cruise control on for 90% of the time, between 70-75 (rpms between 2750 to 3K) the computer showed 36.9 average, but when I calculated it out it was 32.6. On my way back from San Diego the computer showed 33.1 and I calculated it to be 32.8.

Over all I'm very happy with this car, granted my Altima got better mileage (never took it on a road trip) and had a larger tank but I like my Fusion.
  • kam327kam327 Member Posts: 115
    Recently rented a '10 with 36,000 miles, 4cyl SE, and averaged around 32mpg with highway driving at 75mph.
    With 7500 miles on my 2010 I-4 Milan my numbers are about the same. I stay closer to 67 mph highway (w cruise control) for 33-34mpg and average about 31 with the remainder of the miles largely resindential. I am fortunate to be spared a stop and go commute usually but when that hapens the mpg falls to 23-25 mpg. Also a comfortable, quiet, competent car with many subtle nice touches.
    I've had my 2010 Fusion for a year and have just under 16K miles. Its a SE, with the 6 Spd manual. The car's computer states currently I am averaging 28.3. This is combined Highway and City. This is pretty much a 60/40 split. For the last 6 months this is pretty much where the cars computer has placed my average. I'm sure I could get a little better, but I like to push the car a little harder then a normal person and a lot less than what the mar magazine guys do. So over all I'm happy, its not as good as my neighbor's Fusion Hybrid he averages 40 MPG.
    At 9000 miles My 9 months old Milan I-4 6 speed automatic seems to have loosened up or perhaps it is happy to see warmer spring temperatures. The most recent tank had averaged 32.5 by the computer but measured out at 31.8 by calculation using gallons and miles. That is my experience to date, an average (overall with 40% highway) of about 31+ and the computer reading between 0.5-1.0 mpg high. In this case I refueled near the entrance to a highway and my trip took me 80 miles on the highway. I set the cruise control at 63-64 mpg and when I left the highway the computer read 37.8 mpg. I believe that such temperate highway driving consistently gets over 35 mpg. I am pleased with these numbers and find that they reflect nearly the EPA estimates. So far no issues big or small.
  • wilcoxwilcox Member Posts: 582
    2010 model. 4,800 actual miles. Miles per gallon by 3 methods:

A. Long term MPG average (life of vehicle) has risen to 38.4 mpg from break-in period through today.

B. MPG average for May = 40.5 mpg. Winter operation less mpg's. Spring operation yields best mileage. Summer hot weather reduces MPG's a slight tad. Speed limits are complied with most of the time...

C. City driving not exceeding 47 mph in evenings can yield = 47 to 53mpg's depending per individual trip .

Hows about them apples Rhoda ? :)
    Outstnding. I can't match but my one year old Milan I4 @ 10,500 has averaged >32MPG by measurement of actual gallons. The built in calculator is a bit (only a bit) optimistic and gives numbers about one mpg higher. I do exceed the speed limit regularly on ighways (but only to 70mph or so except for uncommon situations in which the car had felt very comfortable at 85mpg. Never have needed more. Most of my driving is "residential" meanings lights and stop signs but less troublesome in that regard than my commute to work each day especially the return home which is interrupted by traffic jams and slow general speeds. 65-67mpg seems to be the sweet spot due to the gearing and whatever else pertains. The built in calculator registers between 34-41mpg at such speeds depending on road and weather conditions (how flat, how cold, windows open, etc.). I haven't changed my driving habits compared to my prior V6 but admit that I avoid situations that would require rapid acceleration (which aren't hard to avoid). What's more important the car is wonderfully engineered and satisfies my high expectations in all regards, this is no econobox despite the brand new price of $18.3K. Let all fusion and milan owners quietly rejoice the absolute absence of buyers remorse. No issues of any kind after a year as expected.
    As an aside. I think to get good mileage you need to use your eyes and your mirrors to avoid the need to brake often. A body in motion tends to stay in motion unless interrupted by braking. If you don't get >60K at least before needing brakework, I'll bet you get mediocre fuel economy as well. If G-force and acceleration are your pleasure, look elsewhere but for a reliable vehicle that pleases with its thoughtful design and excellent engineering think fusion (or its recently deceased sibling, the milan).
    If anyone out there has put many miles on their I4 2010 Fusion/Milan and has these tires (17") I would appreciate an opinion on how they hold up over time. What mileage range should I expect before they wear enough to require replacement? I'm only at 10,000 miles and, of course, they look good. My prior experience is that I get 40,000 miles or so from a set of tires before replacement is necessary.
    Just got back from a trip from Phoenix to Houston to Austin and back to Phoenix. Now driving through TX, the speed limit is 80 mph during the day. So with the Cruise control set at 75 MPH, I was getting 32 MPG. I have a I-4 with the 6spd manual. The engine is almost at 3K at this speed. The car cruised with no problems, A/C on all the time, I don't think its bad at all, since the EPA rating for the is 33 on the highway, which would be easy to get if driven at a lower speed.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Mine only lasted about 25K miles each set, but that's all I normally get out of my tires. I've heard of others getting 50K or more so I'd say if you get 40K now that's probably what you'll get or close to it.
    Continue to get the same mileage as when new; now at 14,000. Almost every tank is between 31 and 32 mpg (as measured by gallons and miles). 70% residential; 20% highway (65-70mph; windows and roof open, no a/c); 10% city (stop and start). Last tank 447 miles/ 14.2 gals = 31.5mpg. Very pleased. Tires kept at 32 psi all 4 wheels. Relatively flat New England terrain in R.I. More than 25 fills and quite consistent
    I meant to add that the built in computerized mpg caluclator on the Milan (left without reset for an entire tank) regularly computes the mpg about 1 mpg higher than measured by the exact method. So it is consistent as well and only slightly optimistic.
    For twenty miles I was able to cruise at 70 mph uninterrupted the other evening, the computer indicated 37.8 mpg over that stretch. I have no way to determine if the computer gets more optimistic as speed increases or stays at 1 mpg over.
    Resetting the mpg feature gives you a reliable estimate of the mpg "at that moment" if you are maintaining near constant velocity--let it go for five minutes or so and you get a good idea what the car does at that mph for those conditions.
    I generally run with the flow spending all my time in the left lane and middle lane, passing many more cars than pass me so these are not "turtle" numbers. If fact the sweet spot for mpg seems to be in the high sixties, close to seventy mph. I usually am alone so that may explain the excellent numbers somewhat. A few passengers, I expect, would add weight and drop the numbers by 2-3 mpg.
  • premier8premier8 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2008 Milan Premier last year. Traded a great Mercury Sable for the Milan hoping to get better mileage. I really enjoy this car in every way..."except" I am only getting between 17 and 20 mpg in town. Highway is only 21-22 mpg. I have 45,000 miles on the car.
    From what I have been reading, most Milan owners are doing much better than this. I saw posts that say they are getting high twenties and better.
    Any suggestions to improve my mileage...Is there something I should ask my mechanic to check? Thanks.
  • blumsteinblumstein Member Posts: 38
    If'm getting between 17 & 29 myself. 2007 6 cylinder Premiere. My guess is that I do a lot of side street driving and heavy traffic driving.
    Is your Milan an I-4 (4 cylinder) or 6 cylinder. The six, understandably gets less mpg. The difference is about 5-8 mpg city and maybe 4-6 mpg highway. I believe that the 2010 engine modifications significantly increased the mpg of both engines so the 2008 may be a relative guzzler. Is it manual or automatic? The single most significant determinant of mpg is how do you bring the car up to speed. If you accelerate aggressively that burns fuel. I would say that any situation in which you put the rpm over 4000 while accelerating is a major fuel penalty. High speed travel, even at a steady speed, costs because of the wind resistance and power use. The 2010 seems happiest between 60 mph and 70 mph as a cruise speed, more toward the 70 mph in my car. A lot of slow travel or stop and go travel will cost as well.
    The published EPA numbers for the 2008 v6 are 20/29 but most reviews at that time reported lower mpg 18/26 being typical. Your city values are not puzzling then but the highway numbers should be better. You can check the air filter. Be sure tires are inflated to recommended. Don't accelerate aggressively. After that it is what it is. Over the last two or three years all manufacturers have made engine improvements and increased the ratios on the highest gear to improve economy. I think 2008, believe it or not, is old school numbers.
  • premier8premier8 Member Posts: 2
    My Milan is a V6, automatic...I do tend to accelerate quickly and drive mostly in the city, stopping and starting. I will work on the acceleration thing.
    I am replacing all 4 tires before this Minnesota winter starts. Any suggestions as to what kind of tire is the best?
    I am due for an oil change and I will ask them to check the filter and replace if needed.
    This is disappointing, but I will take your suggestions...and after that, I believe you are probably right... "2008 old school numbers" .(The interesting thing is that my 1999 Sable was actually doing better than this!)
    After new tires, oil filter change, and a few weeks of trying to change my driving habits, I will give a report.
    Thanks, I appreciate your responses:) Let me know if there is a best tire.
  • silver2006silver2006 Member Posts: 1
    Hi. Have '06 Milan Premier V6, 55,000 mi. Have had it for 15,000 miles of driving. On long trips at interstate (75 mph) speeds with properly inflated tires, I avg 23 MPG. Disappointing. And I am accelerating moderately then engaging cruise control. In suburban driving I can sometimes get very close to 22 MPG, again I am accelerating moderately. Like the car very much otherwise, but fuel econ for a smallish V6 with 6 speed auto should be much better. 23 MPG avg at interstate speeds is poor. Have others had same experience?
    At just under 20K miles I continue to get the same average FE (measured gallons and miles) of about 31 mpg.
    I go 67-70 on highway often with cruise control.
    Did a few experiments. Once to speed on the highway early one morning when traffic was very light, measured by the display mpg at certain speeds (locked in by Cruise control for 25 miles). Results were: 70 mph=37.4 mpg 57 mpg=41.3. To be clear I reset the FE gauge to zero once up to speed and then let the CC take over from there so there were only minor variations from the set speed. and very little acceleration. This is the optimal FE situation. I suppose if you drove an entire tankful at 57 mph on highway, you could clear 600 miles per tankful (without using reserve).
    Very consistent performance and no complaints of any sort. It is a thoughtfully designed car down to little details like the warning chime usually being very faint and unobtrusive for little things but increasing its frequency and volume for major issues. THe Michelin tires which were OEM look to have very good tread left.
    Very solid feeling into turns, very tight suspension, no wiggles or slips. At speed on big bumps on corners the rear wheels will leave the ground and the car will sidestep slightly but settle nicely.
    This car has exceeded my expectations which were high.
  • dj12dj12 Member Posts: 1
    With 35,000 miles on my 2010 I-4 Fusion the overall mpg is 35.7. Just finished a recent round trip from KS to CA of 3,500 miles which brought up the average to 39.7 (speed often 70-75). Mpg calculated from gallons of gas used gives me a trip mpg of 44.3. It seems the Fusion gets much better mileage on long trips than town driving. Curious, since this is opposite of what Ford says.
    Unless you are talking about a HYBRID Fusion, you have my numbers bested by a phemonemal amount. The reason I ask about the hybrid is your comment about Ford representing better MPG in the city. All cars except electric/hybrid get better mileage on the highway where the starts and stops are uncommon. It is acceleration which burns the most fuel per mile and then at higher speeds it is wind resistance. Outstanding numbers, you have a special little I-4.
    If your Fusion a Hybrid? I'm averaging 28.5 combined here in Phoenix, and 35 on the highway. I am very happy with these numbers.
    30.2 average; 35-37 open highway depending on whether I am at 70 mph or 67 mph.

I too am very pleased with the FE. Beyond that it is such a tight and well built car. I couldn't be happier with my choice of a 2010 I4. It is the rare car which exceeds the EPA estimates. I wouldn't trade it for a hybrid I don't think if any compromise was required to achieve better mileage. I too suspect that the earlier post with the stellar numbers was a hybrid since he had expected city to be better than highway and only hybrids do that. I understand that the Fusion hybrid is one of the better hybrids in terms of driving and feeling like a normal car. Ford has good engineers.
  • lcostantinolcostantino Member Posts: 21
    14K miles so far, averaging 27 mixed city/freeway in LA. Finally took a road trip - 32MPG and 33MPG on interstates, 70-75MPH (two separate fill-ups) - outstanding! That was me doing the math - the computer seems about 1-2MPG higher than when I do the math at the pump.