Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan Real World MPG

1235»

Comments

• Options
    rahenigerahenige Member Posts: 7
    After 2 years, overall MPG improved from 37.1 at the end of 2011 to 38.7 at the end of 2012. Annual average for 2012 was 40.2, primarily due to a relatively mild winter in Boston. Lowest Worst average for a tank of fuel was 31.9 mpg in January and best tank average was 48.4 mpg in August, again highlighting the importance of temperature on fuel efficiency: i.e. higher temperatures mean less engine warm-up time which results in higher mpg. Summer commuting traffic is also generally less congested.
  • Options
    skater69skater69 Member Posts: 2
    Ok Rahenige must have a hybrid. There is no way a regular I-4 fusion gets 35-40mpg overall

If he doesn't have a hybrid, he has no clue what he's talking about or how to calculate mileage. Or he averages 25mph per tank.

I have a 2010 I-4 Milan. I'm light on the gas pedal and have gotten 37.2 hwy at 65-70. Overall with city, I get 26-28mpg average. Which to me is awesome for a car like this.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    FFH = Ford Fusion HYBRID.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    podpod Member Posts: 176
    This is the first coldish winter here in New England in a few years and I am impressed at the toll it takes on mpg. I had previously averaged 31.4 or so mpg over 25,000 miles and many tankfuls and through two abnormally warm winters. Since the cold weather arrived (despite upping the air pressure in the tires to compensate) I have dropped to an average that is lower than my previous low tank, somewhere about 27.5-28.5 mpg. No other changes. I understand all the factors which conspire to drop winter fuel economy but didn't expect such a large drop of 3-4 mpg. Are other cold weather drivers finding similar results? I expect that there will be a return to normal values when the weather warms up.
  • Options
    flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    Different fuel blends will effect your MPG, longer idle time??
  • Options
    podpod Member Posts: 176
    Here's the best list and theory I have come across.

http://www.metrompg.com/posts/winter-mpg.htm

The viscosity of air was news to me. There is little good to be said about the winter unless you ski or skate.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    I'm in New England, too.
    Who knows what quality of gas we are getting?
    In the old days, it would 'ping', but now the power is just dialed back.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter would like to speak to a recent car buyer who purchased a 2013 Ford Fusion after owning a Honda Accord, Toyota Camry or another car from a Japanese brand. If you would like to share your story, please send your daytime contact info to pr@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, 3/5/13 at 3 p.m. PT/6 p.m. ET.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    xpert_driverxpert_driver Member Posts: 1
    Purchased a new 2013 Fusion SE in mid Oct. 2012. Now have about 1600 miles on it... This is the first vehicle that I can NOT get the EPA mileage or better. Around town I get from 17.6 to 19.5 mpg. I ALWAYS use the on board computer and drive for MAX mpg. No matter what I do, I can NOT get good town mileage with this vehicle. I've checked the air in the tires, the air filter etc and they are all good. A check with the dealer only resulted in : "Maybe when it gets more miles on it, it will get better" The EPA on this is 22 mpg, I'm getting about 17% less. what gives FORD?! Possible : :lemon: ?
  • Options
    flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    The Ecoboost engines aren't getting the MPG that Ford was hoping for. I rented a Escape with the 1.6L turbo, and was surprised that I was getting 18 in town. The engine had a lot of power around town much more than what I was expecting.... I believe this is a good start for Ford but they need to improve the MPG.
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    It had good power - that's the problem. You have to be extremely careful with the throttle or it ends up using more fuel and mpg suffers. It is possible to achieve EPA results but it's harder with the ecoboost engines (especially in the winter).