Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Freelander Transmission Problems

markyhmarkyh Member Posts: 2
I have an '02 Freelander with 34,000 miles.
The transmission was replaced under warranty in April 05 and it is being replaced once again now.

I called Land Rover US corporate asking if they could provide some sort of extended warranty on the transmission as it is highly unlikely that the transmission went twice without some sort of problem wiht the truck that would cause it to go again.

I was told that since I have not frequented the dealer for general maintenance they could not help me. In fact had I done normal maintenance at the dealer they would have caught or prevented this type of problem.

Any thoughts on how to pursue this with Land Rover and what sort of "preventive" maintenance they would have done to the transmission to prevent this?

Comments

• ianannianann Member Posts: 2
    Tough Luck!! They lie through their Aristocratic Teeth!!!
    Welcome to the land of Land Rover "Customer Service" (as only they know it!!!)
    To pursue their thread of logic, get them to tell you what it is (short of complete replacement of the VCU and/or Intermediate Reduction Drive every few thousand miles) that they would have done during their routine servicing to prevent the general self-destruction of the rest of the drive train.
    Find out that little gem, and the Freelander owning population of the world will beat a path to your door!!!!
    Love the car (-- pity about the transmission and the 1.8 litre petrol engine!!!!)
    Cheers
    Ian Hughes
    Tasmania
  • barbara6barbara6 Member Posts: 10
    Sorry to hear about your trouble. My transmission was replaced on my 2002 Freelander also. Luckily it was still under warranty. Now you have me worried the transmission may go again!
  • markyhmarkyh Member Posts: 2
    Actually after over 3 weeks in the shop they ended up replacing the catalytic converter - that seems to have resolved the problem and it drives fine. Like you I am worried about what happens when the warranty is up - great vehicle but too many problems
  • lrsuckslrsucks Member Posts: 1
    I also own a Freelander 2002 SE experiencing the same problem, the transmission died few days ago. I never imagined that this model would suck in that incredible way, now I am concerned about what other issues I will have to deal with in the future. My Freelander has 46k miles and the warranty expired back in May 2006.

By the way, can you tell me approx. how much a transmission cost?
  • rpaolinerpaoline Member Posts: 1
    Having my trans done right now. $3700!!
  • taajtaaj Member Posts: 1
    Hello Everyone,

I purchased a 02' Freelander back in April 2004 in New York. The car had 31,000 when I purchased the vehicle. I keep up with the service as well as oil changes. In June of 06' my truck would not go pass 40mph.... It has 70,000 miles now. I got it towed to the Land Rover Dealership and they advised of the car flashing signals for problems with the transmission an it will cost 7k to fix. In Dec 05' the replaced the VCU twice. After I brought the car in for service the service engine light came on... they repaired it for free.

I am just at a lost for words I've been w/o my car for seven months now(car note and insurance being paid monthly) I need some help where should I turn for assistance?
  • tiredoflrtiredoflr Member Posts: 40
    Please email me at landrover_lawsuit@hotmail.com if you would like to participate in a class action lawsuit against Land Rover. Pass the word on as much as you can. The more people, the stronger the case. Thanks, Bridget :sick:
  • sanjisanji Member Posts: 1
    Bridget-

I would like to find out the criteria for joining the class action lawsuit. I have a 2002 Freelander that has had a new engine replaced and is in the shop every month or so with systemic problems relating to the engine.

Please let me know the status of the pending case.

Thanks You,

">link title
    Charmaine
    sanji@gte.net
  • robbie37robbie37 Member Posts: 1
    just bought a new freelander 2 paid 57,500 Euros have it six weeks in the garage after 1 week with a leak in the windscreen back in the garage last wek to have the windscreen replaced back in the garage again with a transmission and computer problem what the hell am i after buying??????????????????????? being a brandnew car what are my legal entitlements.
    P.S we have this car for my daughter who has a terminal illness and we need to be able to get to the hospital within a certain time frame please help......
  • martman99martman99 Member Posts: 6
    You will have nothing but problems. Best take it back to whoever sold it to you and try to get your money back. Ours just died last night with a Tranny issue. Get rid of it now and buy a quality vehicle
  • gac62gac62 Member Posts: 6
    I just repaired a 2002 Freelander with "F" & "4" flashing alternately on the PRND2L indicator. My customer was told by the local LandRover dealer that the trans needed to be replaced. The vehicle did not need a transmission. If computer diagnosis indicates a P1748 code, then the 2/4 brake solonoid on the valve body must be replaced. It's a good idea to replace the 2/4 Brake timing solonoid as well. The retail $ for both from your local LandRover dealer should be: $191.91. A local transmission shop should be able to replace the solonoids for 2 hours of labor...
  • newdaynewday Member Posts: 4
    Wow! My '02 Freelander SE just started flashing "F" and "4" on the gear indicator this morning! I'll go to Land Rover first (gotta see how much $$$ they want!!) and will ask what diagnostic code comes up. Then I'll take it from there. Excuse my ignorance, (I'm not a mechanic!) but the two parts needed would be the 2/4 brake solonoid on the valve body and the 2/4 brake timing solonoid, available from the dealer, right? Are the solonoids parts of the braking system or the transmission system? Sorry for the basic questions!
  • scardini23scardini23 Member Posts: 5
    :mad: I dont even know where to start with my Freelander '02 SE. its in the shop it seems every couple of months. i have 70,000 miles on it and the car started flashing F-4 and the hill decent control light went on. then the check engine. i took it in, they fixed some bolts in the rear axle and i payed 820 for that and then they said the trans needed to be replaced. for $5,035! in the past 8 months i have already spent 5G's on it. i asked how much they would give me for a trade-in - 1,000-2,000. they are nuts. im starting to hate landrover.
  • rtaustrtaust Member Posts: 1
    Just got the call from my dealer, my '02 Freelander needs a new transmission; $3900. No warning, no noise - just cruising down the highway (70mph, cruise control), transmission went to downshift and nothing - just neutral. No forward gears, no reverse.
    This is outrageous: 4 years old (+3 months) 65K miles.
    I see lots of other postings about problems with transmissions. Anyone getting any help from corporate Land Rover?
    Your transmission most likely does not need replaced. There are 2 solonoids on th evalve body that may need replaced. They're the 2-4 Brake and 2-4 Timing. The cost of the parts is ~$200 plus the labor to pull the cover exposing the valve body. You'll probably have to take it somewhere other than your dealer as they typically don't "repair" transmissions, just replace, that's why it's so expensive. Good luck. :D
    The solonoids are part of the Valve Body located inside the transmission. The valve body controlls all shifting of your transmission by alterating the flow of the fluid through various channels. Yes, the solonoids are Dealer parts. The culprit is most likely the 2-4 brake solonoid which has been on back order for sometime.
  • cmarsh2cmarsh2 Member Posts: 3
    join the push for a class action lawsuit. you're not the only one with trans problems with the Freelander.
    Email Bridget at....
    Bridget OR [landrover_lawsuit@hotmail.com]

to join forces. The more; The better.
  • cheaplandercheaplander Member Posts: 9
    I also have 2002 Freelander and I have transmission problem too. It has only 66K miles and very beautiful car (it is HSE) but I can not fix it, it is too expensive. What are the options for people like me, I can not sell it either. Has anyone heard if landrover is doing something about this? Thank you.
    Did you get your freelander checked out at a landrover dealership? If so, I would get a second opinion from a private owned transmission shop - after I researched a lot about these transmission problems and saw these posts here I thought it might pay off to get a second opinion...and I AM SO GLAD I DID. My landrover place gave me a quote of $5,035 because they said I needed a NEW TRANSMISSION. And I did not want to pay that much, for I had already spent 5G's in the past 8 months on other repairs. They gave me a trade-in price of $1,000-2,000 - I was outraged!! My car is an SE, with a lot of other additions on it, and worth A LOT more than that, even with the transmission gone and 70,000 miles on it - So, I went to this transmission shop I had heard from through a friend and they said my car DID NOT need a new transmission but that the solonoids needed to be replaced - the total cost including labor: $800. And it runs BEAUTIFULLY now. If I didnt have such a busy schedule I would seriously think about sueing LandRover - they are horrible people :mad: . Good Luck with your car!
    Is there a picture, a manual on how to change solenoid on 2002 freelander? How difficult it is to replace it? Thanks in advance.
    Unfortunately it is not a do it yourself repair. The transmission pan must be removed and there are 2 solonoids to be replaced. The biggest problem is that one of the solonoids (don;t remember which, but you can look at my earlier post) has been on back orderfrom LR for several months. That means you'll need to replace the entire valve body assembly. That's where it gets very tricky in that it must be reassembled with springs placed EXACTLY right on the top of the valve body during the reinstallation. The ~$800 you'll pay for a professional to do it is far better than the ~$5,000 for a new trans... :)
    You can't change the solonoid by yourself, many things need to be taken off the car in order to change them and supposedly it is a very tricky job to do. One of the parts was actually recalled and so everyone who got their solonoids changed has to go get them replaced once again....they were recalled when my car was in the shop, so it took a week longer but at least I got the new parts...I think this is why there is such a long wait through the LR Dealer...but if you go through a privately owned trans shop, they can get the part faster. It was 800 dollars with labor and the parts were less expensive than LR...I will never get my car fixed at LR ever again.
  • louishnlouishn Member Posts: 8
    My wife's Freelander had a post warranty transmission failure. I did make the discovery that the transmissions are from the Mazda Quest van and are de-tuned (Shift softer) because its a "luxury truck". ANyway, does anyone know of a current class action suit on the Freelander transmissions?

To add to the previous comments, the first failure mode of the transmission was F4 flashing.

Regards,

Louis
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    Do you mean Nissan Quest? I seriously doubt it is the same transmission because the ones on the Quest\Villager are very reliable, and judging by these forums, the ones on the Freelander are anything but.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • louishnlouishn Member Posts: 8
    My error; it is the Mazda van. I thought it was the Quest.

The guy that worked on the transmission recognized what it was one he opened it up.

Still looking for a class action on the trans.

Louis
  • kmw278kmw278 Member Posts: 6
    Hello. I have a 2002 Freelander with 63K miles on it, and the transmission was slipping all over the place. I brought it to 2 different Land Rover dealers, 1 private auto shop and 1 transmission expert and all 4 told me that the transmission needs to be rebuilt.

I was able to get a good deal on this repair, but my concern is the future. I don't know if I should sell it after it's fixed, or try to get another 3 years or so out of it. If someone can advise as to what might work best, that would be great. Thanks!
  • eyezonebonyeyezonebony Member Posts: 2
    I have an '03 Freelander and at only 58,000 need a new engine.LR doesn't care because I don't have extended warranty.10,0000 new engine!!!!!.I'm completely up for a class action lawsuit.
  • eyezonebonyeyezonebony Member Posts: 2
    Please don't pass that delimma on another human being.
  • lcubed21458lcubed21458 Member Posts: 4
    My daughter and Son-in-law own a 2002 Freelander and the transmission just went on their's, as everyone has said to replace it is going to cost around $5k, they don't have that kind of money, they can't sell it because they won't get what they owe on it. I am going to e-mail the person about the lawsuit, does anyone know if that is going any where.
    Bridget,
    I'm sure that my daughter and Son-in-law would like to participate, please let me (MOM) know what needs to be done.
    They have a 2002 Freelander and the transmission just went.
    Thank you
    Lori
    Hello,

First of all I am very sorry to hear that your daughter and son in law had to go through the same problems that a lot of us did as well. I was quoted 5k from both the Land Rover dealer and a private shop, but I shopped around and was able to get it done for $2500, which comes with a 1 year warranty. It was worth it to me, because I couldn't afford a new car, and the trade in would be so low if I tried to sell it with a bad trans. Because lawsuits take a very long time to go throuhg, I would suggest getting your name on one of their lists, but to also shop around for a mechanic who can do the job right and who won't over-charge you. I'm sorry to hear of your troubles! Best of Luck!
    Thank you so much for your reply. We have looked around, and we did find a private shop where he would do it much cheaper, the problem is he can't even find a transmission for the 2002 Freelander apparently because they are ALL BAD!! I did speak with Land Rover today and they are checking to see if there is anything that they can do.
    I just hate seeing them throw money they don't have into a car that's won't run. Hopefully they will be able to get it fixed and get rid of it, but like others have said you hate to dump such a piece of junk on someone else. Actually if they could just get out from under what they owe that would be GREAT! Thanks again for the reply and I have e-mailed to get their names on the lawsuit list.
    Hello again,

I'm sorry for not being more clear. I had my trans re-built by a private dealer. You have to shop around for someone who can re-build transmissions and see if you can get a good deal. I was quoted 8k for a new trans, and 5k for land rover to re-build mine. The private dealer re-built mine for 2,500. If you have any other questions please let me know, but I hope you are able to find someone to re-build it for a good price, because then they will be able to either get a few more years out of it, or buy another car using the Freelander as a trade-in and get a decent trade-in price.

I totally understand your concerns, and mine only has 60k miles on it and I am considering getting a new car with the longest warranty in history after this mess! Best of luck yet again!
  • laff2laff2 Member Posts: 8
    Need some opinions.

I have a 2002 Freelander SE with 50K miles. Bought it used at 39K and was Land Rover Certified. Transmission has to be replaced (two months out of Land Rover Extended Warranty). Land Rover has not responded to my request for assistance, doubt they will.

Either I replace for $3800 or get $3500 (as is) for the vehicle and walk. I owe $7550 on it...QUESTION: I am tired of the vehicle, It is very clean...except for the transmission...should I repair...and what realistically can I get if I sell it at a CarMax or something? Black Book Wholesale is $8700. :confuse:

Help...need opinions
  • 03hippo03hippo Member Posts: 6
    I've had my 03 hippo since it was new. Just over 50k miles now and have had very few problems. Had to take it in about a year ago when the check engine light came on and it started running rough. They replaced a couple spark plug coils or something and an intake motor. All under warranty. I did take it in for the 48k service and it checked out fine. I've read all the horror stories about the 02's. I see a lot about brakes wearing prematurely. I just changed the front discs on mine myself at about 48k and the rear shoes still don't need changed yet. I definitely don't drive like an old lady but not like everything is a LeMans either. Of course I'm a little more concerned now that my warranty is gone but it seems most of the things I've read are about the 02's. Were there any changes made that would make the 03 any better? It's been good to me so far but I'm about due for a set of tires so I'm wondering if I should just get rid of it before that. :shades:
    Hello. I also have an 02 Freelander, and mine has 63k miles on it right now. I bought mine at 49k, which was only a month out of its extended warranty.

About 6 weeks ago I had to replace the transmission and it cost me $2500. I must say that I debated what to do for about 2 weeks, and it ended up being worth it for me because I wanted to keep the car for another couple of years. If I were you and you are sure you don't want this car anymore, I would repair the trans and sell it privately, because you could probably get 9-10k max for it, making it a little more worth it. I know this is very hard, and I am sure it must be difficult to accept getting $3500 as is and walk away.

But, I would probably repair it and sell it privately, or try to find someone to repair it for less than $3800. I found someone to do it for $2500 and it drives very nicely now!!
  • radichyradichy Member Posts: 1
    Are they automatic or manual, when you`re experiencing such problems with the transmission?
    My trans is automatic. Is that what you are asking?
    My 2002 freelander HSE (troubled car) is automatic.
    Well, I got the truck fixed for about $3700. Rebuilt land Rover Trans with one year warranty. They drove over to the Acura dealer and traded it in.

Land Rover would not assist after being out of warranty 2 months and certified used by Land Rover about 10K miles ago. While Land Rover did not have to do anything, I thought they would since I had a 2008 Sport Supercharge on order before it went bad. Canceled order, say goodbye to Range Rover.

Unfortunate, but this fan is done with them.
  • newkerofminewkerofmi Member Posts: 1
    I have 55k on my 02 freelander and I am thinking the trans is bad as well. Here is the deal. Mine shift perfect 1 to 2nd, but then slips to nothing in 3rd. Reverse is fine and 1 and 2nd fine. When going into 3rd, nothing and RPM go up.

Does anyone know if this is can be fixed with the 2/4 solinods talked about above?
  • rcb4rcb4 Member Posts: 4
    Greetings All !!!
    Have 03 Freelander with 80K, original trans with no issues, took to Dealer to do a routine transmission fluid flush.
    Dealer informed me trans computer corrupt, need new computer
    @ $1300. Puzzling as trans was working fine, installed new
    computer, 300 miles later transmission needs replaced. Slipping between shifts !! Anyone with similar problem
    or suggestions !?!?!?
    Thanks...
    Bob
    Hello,

I am sorry to hear about your transmission problem. I want to start by saying I can totally relate to you and I understand your frustration with the Freelander and with Land Rover.

I was never told that I had a problem with my trans computer, but at around 50k miles my transmission was seriously slipping between shifts. I had it checked by 2 Land Rover dealers, an import trans specialist and a private auto shop. The best deal I came up with was to have a private trans specialist rebuild it for $2500, which was a good deal for me at this time. All of the other places were going to charge over 5k for the job, which wouldn't have been worth it since it's a 2002 Freelander.

My suggestion is to try to have your trans rebuilt for as little of a cost as you can. In terms of keeping it or selling it, this is a personal choice. My original plan was to immediately resell after it was fixed, but it drives wonderfully right now, so I decided to keep it for the time being. I hope this helps you and I again am very sorry to hear of your problem! Let me know if you have any other questions. Take care & good luck!!
    I got the trans fixed for about $3500...drove it over to an Acura dealer and kissed it goodbye. The people who bought it already had both the Passenger side window regulators go bad.

I called Land Rover since it was 2 months vehicle went out of warranty as well as 10K mile since it was certified my Land Rover. The dealer spoke with Land Rover and discussed them picking part of the trans up as I was planning to purchase a Range Rover Sport. Land Rover did not even look into it past the call they have to do to the dealer.

Well, say goodbye to Rover. My life is easier and better without them.
    OOPS !!! I forgot to mention the most important part of this mess !!! When I took Freelander to dealer for transmission fluid change, they refused, advising me it was not required by Landrover, instead they hit me for the computer !!!
    I tried to email you to place me on your lawsuit list, but email was returned.
    Bob
    Hi,

In this forum most of us just we sympathize which other and feel the same pain. Unfortunately Landrover has caused me a great deal of pain and I am sorry you are also among us now.

Catherine
  • tiredoflrtiredoflr Member Posts: 40
    Good news to everyone! I have a lawyer that has begun researching and is going to help us as much as he can!
    If you have not already been added to my email, please send me an email at landrover_lawsuit@hotmail.com
    If you have already contacted me, then you have an email from me with the lawyers contact info and next steps. Thank you to everyone for your patience, I know this has been painful for many!!!!
    Bridget

***Be Advised if you copy and paste the @ sign is transposed and you have to replace it again. ; )
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    CarSpace changes the "@" sign in posts to try to keep the spambots from harvesting email addresses here. So you'll have to replace it manually in your email program.
    I have a 2003 Freelander with a bad transmission. Land Rover and Dealer unwilling to help !! This week I will
    be filing suit against Land Rover and the Dealer. Will
    keep this forum posted with results !!
    Bob