Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Freelander Transmission Problems

Comments

• nomolandrovernomolandrover Member Posts: 11
    Bridget is right. Join the class action. The 02 and 03 LR Freelanders seem to have been put together by morons using parts made by retarded cockroaches. Just read the other discussion strings - engines, transmissions, drive trains - these vehicles are a nightmare. We all paid LR a lot of money for these vehicles and most of us are paying a lot to have serious problems fixed. If you're in the US, file a complaint with the national highway traffic safety administration at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/. If enough people complain, they'll investigate and hopefully recall these buckets of bolts.
  • badenginebadengine Member Posts: 1
    You are so right. I actually had bought an extended warranty on this truck (Thank God). I have 87K mles and just replaced the whole engine because the water resevoir in the engine busted. The repair is $10,000. Of which, the dealership is trying to get me to pay $3,000. They claim that is took 41 hours!!! to repair the engine. NO WAY!

I have also had a sensor shut down the whole engine last summer while driving down the road at 70 miles an hour. Thankfully we were able to pull of the road safely. But what if the next person is not able to do that???
  • cheaplandercheaplander Member Posts: 9
    I have a Freelander 2002, HSE which according to a few sources it seems might need new transmission. Where do I post a car with transmission problem to be sold "AS IS". The car is in Northern California, it it HSE and has only 66k miles, and it is beautiful we did add ons to the front and step sides, etc.

Any idea will be greatly appreciated it.

Thank you.
  • aimeehaimeeh Member Posts: 2
    Hi -

My transmission went out on me the other day - no warning, nothing, just suddenly lost the ability to accelerate while on the freeway. I have only 48K miles on it, but I'm out of warranty at this point. I've had no problems with the car until this event. I've been quoted $5,700 to fix it and no help from Land Rover to date. I've really enjoyed my car and as I mentioned, never had any problems with it until now. I appreciate hearing that I'm not the only one to have a bad transmission and I will be taking the advice of other posters as I deal with the LR company. Thanks for sharing the info! If I find anything out myself, I'll post it here.

Aimee
  • scardini23scardini23 Member Posts: 5
    I had the same problem as you - a little more milage on it but all of a sudden it would accelerate....and Land Rover said I needed a new transmission and quoted me $5,075 for it - I was shocked. I did some research and found out that a lot of the freelanders have a transmission problem but that it can be fixed for roughly 600 to 800 dollars. Land Rover doesnt "fix" transmissions, they only replace them - so that is why they quote you such a high price - conveinent for them, right? I took it to a transmission repair shop/car repair shop - ask them to check out the solonoids (esp. if your car is flashing a f4) and they can fix it for you in a couple of days. I had my car fixed about 9 months ago and it is running perfectly, like it was when I first bought it. And my final cost - 760 dollars.
  • prl1957prl1957 Member Posts: 1
    78,000 miles.
    I had to have a brand new transmission.
    When I braked it felt like the engine shifted forward and it made this clunking noise.
    The dealership asked if I had ever driven a 4-wheel drive and when I said no, they said, that noise and feel just comes with the territory of 4-wheel drive vehicles.
    Amazing, after the new transmission, it no longer does this.
    They kept my car a week...to change the oil.
  • piliannipilianni Member Posts: 7
    Here is my history so far:
    Water pump failed, took to dealer for replacement, Gas Pump failed took it to Shop to replace it, Gas tank lid failed, bouth one from dealer to replace it, engine cooling system failed, transmition failed, took it to shop they refuse to fix, they say is not their fault and is not cover by warranty anymore, Window motor failed, winshield wiper swicth failed, headlights failed, Coolant container crack, replaced with new one from dealer. stop light recalled. air filtering system retains water wich allows mold to grow, air filters replaced.

Im only at 80K miles, i'm trying to sell it so bad! I spend about $4,000 on repairs and the clang noise from the engine sounds like another $5,000 coming.

this is the worst nightmare I ever had. I still owe 16,000 to the bank Ouch!

I feel the pain, good luck everyone!
  • lediakarajlediakaraj Member Posts: 3
    I have an '02 Freelander with 45,000 miles.
    The transmission was replaced under warranty in November 05(under warranty which expired 2006) and needs to be replaced once again , and as of today it went out again ..............

please may I join these lawsuit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......
    thank you
    Ledia
  • lediakarajlediakaraj Member Posts: 3
    I have an '02 Freelander with 45,000 miles.
    The transmission was replaced under warranty in November 05 and needs to be replaced once again now.

I have a terrible experience dealing with the dealer place and I reported them through a survey sent to me by Landrover, ...and on on

Please let me know if I may be able to participate in this lawsuits.
  • 03hippo03hippo Member Posts: 6
    I know this isn't a lot of comfort but here's some interesting info about the FL transmission failures. It has been discovered by some mechanically inclined folks that most of the failures when the dealership says you need a new transmission is really just a failed solenoid in the transmission pan. Something that can be fixed with a $50 part and a few hours of labor. Land Rover undoubtedly produced and sold us a poorly designed drive train and should be held accountable, but for those that experience this problem should look into this before shelling out the $1000's the dealership wants to replace the whole tranny. My 03SE has 54,000 miles on it and I've had very few problems really but after trying to trade it in a couple places it's obvious these issues are well known. Both places I've taken it they say after they drive it "well it feels like there's some transmission problem" and give me some rediculous trade in price. It's in excellent condition and I've been offered $4,000 and $4,700 for trade in (I still owe $4,500 on it). I've been driving it since it was new and it drives the same as it did when I bought it. I've learned a lot about these little trucks and know what to keep an eye on now. The coolant reservoir should be a recall. If you haven't replaced it I suggest you do so. Lift the label around the cap and see if it's got spider cracks. It's a pressurized coolant system and when those cracks get bad enough it loses pressure and (I believe) is the main cause of most of the "losing coolant/engine failure" problems. Also the temperature sensor is in an assanine place, after the radiator not the engine. By the time the temperature gauge goes up it's too late. The engine has already overheated. Hopefully I can avoid the major problems until it's paid off and then still take a beating trading it in. (On a Honda or Toyota!) It still sucks to have been sold an inferior vehicle but I'm trying to make the best of a bad situation It's just a shame because it's a great driving vehicle. Here is a link to read more about the tranny solenoids and other problems:
    http://www.muddyoval.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6568&highlight=transmission+solen- oid
  • britabroad1britabroad1 Member Posts: 7
    I have an 02 Freelander with only 34,000 miles and it's falling apart around me. I had been trying to sell it for a week and had a very interested buyer when the transmission went out! I had decided to sell it fearing that this may happen and it did! LR paid for 60% but I still had to pay $1400. The other things that have gone wrong in the past couple of months include the front driver door, the rear window and just this morning the back driver door went out! aagh! I'm at my wits end. A volvo dealership just offered me $7000 for a trade-in. I had been hoping to sell for $12800, should I just ditch this lemon and get the hell out now?
  • aimeehaimeeh Member Posts: 2
    The result of my transmission ordeal:

I was finally able to get Land Rover to warranty the transmission since I was only a few months out of the original warranty. However, they refused to pay the labor portion. The dealer had previously offered 20% off on the labor and stuck to that when LR came through with the warranty to cover the new part. So, instead of $5700, I only had to pay $2200 and $700 of that was for another part. While I appreciate that he dealership gave me a discount when they didn't have to, I'm still a bit irritated that LR wouldn't cover it. But, after almost 3 weeks of waiting on LR corp, I finally have my car back. Never heard any word regarding my inquiry about the lawsuit, so I gave up on it.

I must be an anomaly since I've never had any issues with my Freelander until the transmission went out. I've loved my car and love to drive it. I feel for everyone out there with multiple issues that have plagued their Freelanders. I'm not sure how I got one that isn't falling apart all over the place, but I'm grateful.

Hoping I avoid any other Freelander meltdowns,

Aimee
  • lrwoeslrwoes Member Posts: 1
    Anybody on this forum in Portland, Oregon?
  • jeffs05se3jeffs05se3 Member Posts: 7
    Hi,

I'm new to the Freelander forum but so far I've the info here very helpful, but it would be EVEN MORE helpful if the folks who post would include the following with their posts...

Freelander year, model (HSE, SE, SE3), and mileage.

Also, doeas nayone know if the 05 SE3's are any better than earlier models?

Thanks!

~ Jeff
    2005 Freelander SE3
    Here is some info I came across that might help, at least to see another option!
    "Loud Land Rovers land company in class-action lawsuit"
    http://www.kabolaw.com/lawyer-attorney-1193561.html

read about it
    http://www.kabolaw.com/lawyer-attorney-1193550.html

I sent him an email trying to find out more info what can be done.

By the way my engine went out Dec 23rd 2007 Merry Christmas!
  • jeffs05se3jeffs05se3 Member Posts: 7
    Hi all,

I'm new to the forums and have found the info everyone has posted to be very useful.

I took a chance and purchased an 05' SE3 w/26k the other day...and so far I love it!

I am however very concerned about the future with my new freind after reading the numerous posts here and elsewhere on the web.

My main question is if anyone knows if there were any mechanical updates to the 05's due to all the core problems (coolant leaks, tranny & electrical probs, etc.) or is my 05's engine & trans exactly like an 02 or 03's?

Also, has anyone had any experience working with the Chicago LR Service Dept. at Howard Orloff's on Armitage? If so, I'd like to hear about your experiences and who you recommend speaking with there.

Finally, any mechanically minded Hippo owners on the forum that could advise me on any preventative maintenance things I should do now BEFORE my warranty runs out in May of 09?

Thanks for all you help!

Cheers,

~ Jeff
    2005 SE3 25k :)
  • helenaghelenag Member Posts: 5
    I have same problem- replaced transmission at 35000 miles and motor at 65000. Now at 100000 miles it needs a transmission again. Can anyone help with information on class action law suit. New York area
    I have the same problem. My transmission was replaced at 35000 miles and the motor at 65000 miles. Now it needs a new transmission at 100000 miles. What can we do? New York area
    Any Law suits options?
    Can someone email me at hcg93@msn.com and let me know how to get on the class action law suit. I'm in new york. I informed yesterday by land rover customer service that they could not help me. My transmission was replaced at 35000 miles, the motor at 65000 miles and now the transmission is bad again and the dealer wants $3000.00 for the part and $1700.00 for the labor. They said "to Bad it's your problem the car has to many miles on it" It has 100000 miles. So I asked her what their excuse was for replacing the transmission at 35000 miles and she had no reply.
  • raiderfan1raiderfan1 Member Posts: 12
    You may be gone now but I am in Portland with a pice of S%$T Freelander, what can I do to help?
  • laff2laff2 Member Posts: 8
    I got rid of the damn thing. I fixed the transmission and sold it. I will never buy a Land Rover again. As everyone else dealt with, Range Rover would not assist in any way and I was two months out of Range Rover Extended Warranty and had it certified 10K miles before this happened. While I like the vehicles, the company does not step up (and I also had a Range Rover Sport on order).

It sucks, take the loss and getr out as soon as possible. Your life will be easier without them. :lemon:
    for everybody, take your time and file a defect complaint with the Office of defects at this site
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/
    if we can find a lawyer willing to take the case it will be great but at this time I haven't heard from any.
    lets keep searching.
  • easterneastern Member Posts: 2
    A few months ago my 2004 FL transmission did the same as others here, wouldn't shift/accelerate, check engine lights flashing, hobbled into the local dealer at 30km/h, the mechanics diagnosed and changed the solenoids and had me back on the road within an hour, no charge, under warranty. I think some of your local LR mechanics must be incompetent if they're recommending new transmissions for this problem, particularly at full cost.

Did just have a new motor installed for coolant leaks though. Again, under warranty, no hassle other than out a vehicle for almost two weeks.

If your vehicles are still under factory warranty BUY THE EXTENDED WARRANTY. I love driving my Freelander, but parts are expensive and there are bits that go and service to be done.
  • jet8jet8 Member Posts: 2
    Well, let me join the rest of you who have been bitten by the Land Rover Freelander bug. Here is my brief story. My 2003 HS Freelander transmission display began flashing F and 4 while I was attending my aunts funeral 300 miles away from home. I call the 800 number for Land Rover seeking techincial assistant and said take it your nearest dealer. I got it back to Dallas and took it to the Land Rover dealership where I had my warranty inspection (where it passed the warranty test that I ask them to perform before the warranty ran out) they told me my transmission can't be repaired only replaced and then I ask the $64 thousand dollar question, how much? Approx $6,000+, when I start breathing again, "I said how much?" He said it again. I could only shake my head. I am still fighting this and I hope by me venting my thought in this forum maybe someone can assist me in getting some justice out of this.

eugene
    Your common tranny problem doesn't mean "bad transmission". It means "incompetent land rover dealership". The guy that posted just before you must have one of the very few dealerships that actually fix things. Most of them, if they can't fix it by hooking up a computer to it, they're only answer is replace it. My advice to you is find a reputable independent shop to diagnose and replace the bad solenoid(s) in the tranny pan. One guy on another forum heard the same thing from a dealer and did it himself by buying a $42 solenoid. A far cry from $6K. I've got just over 55,000 miles on my 03 SE just waiting for it to be my turn. Good luck!
    We'll I took the car to a local transmission shop and he replaced the bad solenoid at it only cost me $650.00. Alot better than $5000 for a new transmission. The dealers are a bunch of crooks. They know there transmissions are bad. Instead of helping their customers fix the solenoids they want you to replace the whole transmission.. I just traded the car in for a toyota. I only got $3000 for it (I took a $4500.00 loss on it) But its worth it. I can finally sleep at night. Just a note I am giving the car to the dealer today and these are the current problems: Brake light doesn't work, Blinkers don't work (car starts to dye if you use blinkers), Oil Leak, Back windows dont't work motor broken, No inspection wouldn't pass. Let's say I cut my losses now and I am done with the nightmare. Land Rover NEVER AGAIN!!
    Take the car to a good transmission shop. The solenoid is problem bad. I got mine fixed for $650.00. The dealer said it couldn't be fixed, they wanted $5000.00 to replace it.
  • nwestnwest Member Posts: 2
    Had my oil changed at 50739 miles on the transmission, now reverse does not work. Even purchased and used the recommended land rover fluid. Dealer wants 4500 for parts and labor for a new transmission, that's from two different dealers in Seattle. Any ideas?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Just curious - was it a fluid change or a power flush?
    Stop going to dealerships :P Take it to a reputable transmission shop as many others do and save $1000's
  • nwestnwest Member Posts: 2
    It was just a fluid change, and not by the dealer, that was their issue.
  • cheaplandercheaplander Member Posts: 9
    Hi,

I was wondering which state are you in, maybe I can take my car for repair in the same shop. I am in Arizona, and one shop was saying dealer charges $9,000 for transmission and he wants to charge $5,000. He said the transmission is intercahngable with Volkswagon and he said I have electrical PCM to ECM problem, etc. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    I would get a second opinion as well as check a few dealers. While a dealer may be a little more, they may be able (as well as any reliable shop) find a rebuilt one.

Overall, the 2002 Freelander is a piece of crap one it goes wrong...and it will go wrong.
  • benm2benm2 Member Posts: 1
    Well it looks like everyone has had trouble with their Freelander. I bought this car because I thought it would be a safe and dependable ride for my wife -- I was wrong about the dependable part. It is a 2002 Freelander S with 85,000 miles.

Here is my story, if ANYONE can provide some insight, Id truly appreciate it.
    We got up Easter morning and attempted to go to church. When I put the car in Reverse, the engine revved up but the car didnt move. When I tried to put it in drive, same situation. Finally after much trying the car did decide to back up enough to get it out of the way. I checked out this message board and decided not to tow it to the dealership (70 miles away) and took it to a local Aanco transmission shop. They said they found that there was no fluid in the transmission and the whole thing was shot. They quoted a rebuild job at close to $3,000 or said they could put a salvage one in for 2500 plus 500 labor. Is there a cheaper option?

Do I need to look for another opinion? Can this be the soleniod that many of you have talked about thats an inexpensive fix? And Im not a mechanic but when in the heck didnt they put a dipstick on the transmission so that you could tell if the fluid was low. Only on the way to the shop did it flash the F 4 code and blink the hill decent icon.

Please help.
    :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    No fluid in the transmission? If that truly is the case then I can imagine there is some pretty major damage. I can't say I've ever heard of one losing tranny fluid though without leaving puddles or showing some sign of leakage somewhere. I'd try to get another opinion if possible.
  • gac62gac62 Member Posts: 6
    It is possible to lose trans fluid without an external leak. Your transmission connects to the radiator to provide cooling to the transmission fluid. Look at your radiator fluid, I bet you'll find transmission fluid there. Also, the rebuild price of $3K is, believe it our not VERY reasonable for the transmission in the Freelander. Certain parts are dealer-only items that are very expensive.

As far as the flashing F-4 and hill decent icon, it very well could be the solonoid pack. But if what fluid is remaining in the transmission is burnt, then you have "hard part" damage and it needs to be rebuilt/replaced.
  • nikkienikkie Member Posts: 2
    I just a 2002 Freelander back in Nov.,2007...currently has about 50,000 miles on it & recently got an oil change....now the car revs when it goes over 30 or 40 miles.....what would be the reason....transmission???
    Check the fluid...You should have it checked out. Could be a bad solenoid otherwise, its the transmissions. If so, say goodbye. Trust me, letit go away. Liked mine till the trans went...and that was the beginning. :lemon:
  • jet8jet8 Member Posts: 2
    The only alternative I know, is to take to a AAMCO Transmissions Dealer, they are the only one I know could do the work for half the cost. They were going to replace my transmission but my warranty did cover transmission. :lemon:
  • nikkienikkie Member Posts: 2
    ok I believe my warranty covers the transmission.....once fixed should I get rid of it.....will there be continous problems? I still owe a ton of $$$ on this thing!!
  • unwindingunwinding Member Posts: 2
    I got my land rover 2/10/07 used but not from land rover. The warranty ran out shortly after we got it and my payments are for six years. I live in New Castle Pa and nobody can work on it here. I called about the lemon law and they said that it isn't for used autos. But my Finance company is trying to help with the repairs. But not sure just what they all may be cause we had it in the land rover shop for the antifreeze bottle was cracked and the mirror on the passenger side was broken and they had to take the motor out and along with two tires alone were $1000.00 dollars inspection. But the rackinpinnion is leaking and the re tractor for the rear window needs replaced. We got it out the shop after getting another loan just for that was a total of $1400.00 and I went out to start it and back to the shop it went cause it wont start. The antifreeze is leaking into the motor the crank sensor was replaced and not very sure what nightmare is in store for us now except that we still owe $16,220.28 on it. And it is in the shop more than out not only that I have not been able to go to work due to I am a home health aide and it was my only way to work. Not sure what can be done at this time cause we will have to pay for a truck that is useless. The light does come on for the downhill and they said they fixed it. We do the normal mantainance on it. But all I know is if there is a way out of this as much as I like the truck I wont get another one due to the major problems that they dont tell you about It is very costly and a headache. Not sure about a class action at this time but it is one we would be a part of it but for now stuck in a hard place. We had it towed to the land rover shop but no word yet. But one thing I was told from one of there salesmen was that that model has alot of issues that have not been worked out yet and this is why I am getting the word out to let others know so they dont get burned like me. If I had known I would be in better shape. Our finance company said it sounds like we got a LEMON. :mad: ">
  • unwindingunwinding Member Posts: 2
    Is this just about the transmission or does it speak for all the Land rover's model freelander HSE 2004
  • louishnlouishn Member Posts: 8
    I think this thread started as transmission but has grown to shown all of the Freelander failings. All that being said, are there any class action suits in the works currently? The list of problems my wife has had goes past the transmission.

Regards,

louis
  • kbombakbomba Member Posts: 6
    :lemon: I have (had) an 03 Freelander! The engine just died in March and I am told, non-repairable. I only had 85k miles on it and I am still in shock that I no longer have a vehicle that I owe lots of money on! LR told me that it would cost $8,000 for a new/used one and that they have people waiting over 4 months for one. So basically they told be I am screwed! Oh but they did offer me 1,000 for it if I bought a brand new LR2 (can you believe that?)!!! I am going to try and fight this as far as I can starting with the attorney general, does anyone have any advice or can we start a class act for this? If I get nothing out of this I at least want Land Rover to suffer as much as the rest of us who put faith into such a "high end" vehicle. So. . . for those of you 02 owners, do not feel alone because it seems all Freelanders share the same fate. Even the LR dealer told me that this is happening to all of the Freelanders and that they do not use the same enigine in their truck anymore!
  • louishnlouishn Member Posts: 8
    Well let's see. There's 102 messages. I'd say that's enough evidence for any law firm.

Regards,

Louis
    Same history here, my engine die at 80k, paid 3800 for new engine that I'm still waiting, I was told last week that it's going to take another six to find out how long more. got tired of renting vehicles and borrow my neighbors old car, 74 toyota.
    I still own tons of money too and lawyers wont take attention, unless one of them is driving a LR.
    maybe we can give a senator one to try, so they can understand the rip-off this company is doing with the consumers.
    let's continue posting any update. :mad:
  • dcifan01dcifan01 Member Posts: 1
    I have been reading about the problems with the Freelander problems. I have 78K on my '03 car and it just went out with the F-4 flashing on the odometer, Check Engine light on, and the Hill Descent/Traction Control lights coming on. Took it to the Dealer which I have the warranty through, and they said it needs to be replaced for $3300. It has been in the shop since the end of Feb '08 and I still haven't gotten it back, nor does anyone have any info on it. :mad:

I would like to join the lawsuit if it is still available.
    Keep posting complaints at the Office of Defects and recalls

the list keeps growing!
    post you complaints also at the Office of Defects and Recalls website:

lets make our voice hear, and make the list grow.
  • bushytalebushytale Member Posts: 2
    Hi to one n all, I bought a used 2000 model 1.8i freelander 4 months ago with 93k miles on the clock, done about 5K miles untroubled till last friday eve when a grinding noise from the gear box/transfer box made itself known through all the gears under accelleration. when I press the clutch in and freewheel the noise disappears. so as not to cause further problems I parked up and phoned for recovery assistance. The car is currently sat on my drive unmoved since fri eve. The cylinder head was replaced at 70 K and the block was skimmed with an upgraded head replacing the original. this is not unusual for the 1.8 rover engine (not in the UK anyhow) the cylinder head is a VERY common fault with rover and an upgrade is available but dont go asking rover as this fault does not officialy exist(modified head available ???) most freelanders seem to suffer transmission problems due to the drive shaft so when buying second hand in the UK it is job numero uno to check underneath the vehicle to see if the rear drive shaft has been removed ? NO i'm not making this up ! mine has been removed to stop further problems occurring but the diffs on the rear axle have been reconditioned so I now await a drive shaft which will be serviced and the UJ's replaced with up graded joints with grease nipples to save further replacements and provide longevity! and the viscous coupling being replaced with a after market part, also before being reffitted I will have the complete shaft proffessionally balanced so as not to distroy the rear axle yet again from vibrations and chatter ! hope this makes sense so far. the gear box is now my main concern as untill I start removing the the whole unit ie. gear box, transfer box and give the clutch an inspection I am yet to find out what the source of the trouble is.
    Please understand that I have ridden a motorcycle since my teens and this is the first time I have attempted to carry out any form of maintenance on a 4 wheeled machine but the amount of suggestions as to what may be the cause and the garage costs involved to try to find out coupled with the actual parts, labour etc,etc as I'm sure you will understand will be astranomical. Also we my partner and I plan to move over to Spain within the next 18 monthes so its important that I have some ability to carry out repairs myself.
    up to now the total costs is estimated to be around £1000 sterling for parts alone sourced on e-bay UK that does not include post and package !!!!! yikes !
    No I'm not mad Yes I am British the reason for my new uninvited migrane is plainly that I'm in to deep to get out finacially and I know that I can eventually make my beloved freelander perfom the way it was originally intended to as a landrover.
    So, dont worry its not just you folks over the atlantic who are being mugged its the same everywhere, as we say here on our little island "its not broke its British !".
    I will keep updating as I go along to let you know my progress for those who might be interested. if you have any comments questions or anything please feel free to ask and I or my good wife abbs will be only to happy to reply.