Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Caravan/Voyager Heating/Cooling Problems

2»

Comments

• Options
    chrysler7chrysler7 Member Posts: 3
    My 2001 Chrysler Town & Country has a problem with rusty metal coolant lines that are the supply and return for the rear auxilary heater. Is it okay to cut out the rusty section of metal lines and connect it with a good quality rubber hose and clamp?

Thanks,

Steve
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    On a number of Chrysler minivan boards, that is one of the more popular repair methods for the rusty rear coolant lines. The only thing that stopped me from doing it to our 1998 was that I ended up trading it in at 170,000 miles.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    Your '98 had a rear auxiliary heater? Were those standard or optional? I don't think mine has one.....
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Yeah, we ordered the rear heat and A/C as an option on our 1998 DGC Sport (we also ordered the "unofficially available" 3.8 liter engine as well). That said, I don't know if the rear unit was an option on the Short Wheel Base (SWB) and base model LWB vans.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, Shipo! I imagine that van must get toasty (or cool) real quick with the added heating/cooling system. Mine (w/o the aux) is the first vehicle I have had here in Fairbanks where it can actually heat up enough at -50F that I find it necessary to turn down the fan speed so I do not overheat. With anything else, I am happy if the vehicle's interior breaks freezing! :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Yeah, the coldest weather I ever drove our 1998 in was -20, and even then I had the HVAC settings at only the half way mark to keep it warm enough to drive in my shirt-sleeves. ;-)

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    :D

You know as well as anyone that I was quite doubtful of the decision I made to buy this van back in May of '07. But now, after 20 months and 23,000 miles of trouble-free driving (aside from the occasionally recurrent dash black-out issue), I am quite happy with the van. It really has exceeded my expectations. Now I hope that with continued care and maintenance, it will take me down the road another three years.
  • Options
    timba43timba43 Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday I turned on my AC and it was working fine in the front but there was hot air coming from somewhere. My son then complained that it was to hot. I could not figure out why, the front was blowing cool air and I could hear the back blowing away. Then realized that the hot air was coming from the lower vents in the back. It was blowing hot air. It is like the back vents are stuck in heater mode, I can not get them to blow from the top vents. Any ideas on what this could be?
  • Options
    pvvoyagerpvvoyager Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 voyager and was told that there was an a/c filter that could be accessed from inside the cabin of the van. There is no mention of it in the owners manual, can anyone tell me where it is located or if there is a downloadable diagram how to access it :confuse: ? thanx
  • Options
    mauriciogmauriciog Member Posts: 1
    It happens to me. with my voyager 1998, I had to replace the fan relay twice in four years. and the problem was solved.
  • Options
    masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    Hi All and Happy Fathers Day. The weirdest thing happened last night while driving home from work. I was driving all but 15 min. with the air on, then all of a sudden, all the squares lit-up for the gear selection, the air bag light came on and the air was warm blowing out of the vents. I thought that maybe the engine cut off, but it didn't, so I kept driving. I tried turning off the blower but it wouldn't turn off. So, I though to stop and turn off the engine. After I did that everything went back to normal. I drove for about an hour today and didn't have any problems.

Was just wondering if anyone else experienced this and if this is a sign of a bigger problem down the road? Thanks
  • Options
    steelcitybellesteelcitybelle Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    andre8gugu4andre8gugu4 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everybody. I would like to know the location of the radiator fan relay for a Chrysler voayager 200 3.3L ?
    Thanks for your help
  • Options
    anderlikanderlik Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    anderlikanderlik Member Posts: 2
    1999 Dodge Grand Caravan with 3.8 engine. Radiator and a/c fans inop. Replacement of relay located below air filter did not fix. Where is the sending unit located on the engine that controls this system? I found the one for the coolant temperature gauge and the one for oil pressure but can't find the above one. Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
  • Options
    scott133scott133 Member Posts: 1
    Hi

I have a 1996 VW jetta that I top up the freon every year on to get the air conditioning working. I just this week put some in but I'm afraid I put too much . It was supposed to be 800 grams of freon and I put 1000 grams. The compressure still works but I don't get any cold air coming out the vents. Could I have damaged something permently? can I take some out? if so do I take it out from the high or low side of the system?

I would be thankful for any help
  • Options
    kjwhite09kjwhite09 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager, I just bought it in February 2009. I have been using my a/c and using it properly, turning it off before I turn off the vehicle. Things like that, I have had enough vehicles with a/c units that go out and no money to fix the problem. However, I have small children and live in Sacramento CA. I need an a/c. Today when I left my house I used my air like I normally do, however, when I got to my mom's house 3 miles away. I turned off the car, got out and heard some bubbling sounds. Then I called my husband at work told him what was happening. Put water in the coolant resourvor. Just like he told me. I left my mom's house about an hour later and turned on the a/c however it was only blowing out hot air. I took it to a place that I thought could recharge it and it would be fine. He told me that neither of the fans are turning on. I called Kragen's they said it might be a relay, but I don't know how to check those and my husband isn't quit sure either. They also said to check the fuses which my husband is going to do later today when he gets off work. I'm not sure what's going on with the air, but I am open to suggestions. Please email me and let me know if you have heard of this problem or you have had it.
  • Options
    If the fans are not coming on, then the van will be prone to overheating - especially at low speeds or idle. The relays and fuses are located in the power distribution center, which is just to the right (looking at the van) of the battery. Inside the lid of the PDC is a diagram that labels each of the fuses and relays (the relays are the black boxes). If you pick up a Haynes manual, it will show you the testing procedure (I have done it, but cannot remember which prong did what and therefore do not want to steer you astray). You will need a multimeter and a set of alligator clips.

If the relay is fine, check the connection on the fans themselves to make sure it is getting power.
  • Options
    pawlowskidpawlowskid Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager where the interior heating is inconsistent. It alternates between hot and cold and is usually turns warmer when stepping on the gas. The engine temperature is consistent/normal as the vehicle operates.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as the temperature in Wisconsin and inside the van reaches is a chilly 30 degrees.
  • Options
    It sounds like you have a bad coolant thermostat.
  • Options
    kimrhett48kimrhett48 Member Posts: 1
    have a 2004 Dodge Grand Caravan V6 3.8L. Air quit working. Have replaced the compressor, added freon, and have had the relays and switches checked at the repair shop...still no air. Any suggestions??? Anyone else had this same problem??? Please help!
  • Options
    troundatrounda Member Posts: 5
    the only way to get the compressor to come on is to unplug the switch on top of drier for 5sec plug it back in the clutch engages when it cycles you do the same thing ive already replaced the switch does anyone have suggestions
  • Options
    dandelojodandelojo Member Posts: 1
    I can change the speed of the air (low to high) but I can not change the direction of the air flow ie upper vents, lower vents, lower/upper vents, defrost. I can not get recirculate to come on. I can not get heat to come through. The air that does come through the vents is outside temperature. I can turn the a/c button on but it doesn't "kick on". Any suggestions on how to fix this. I have no money to spend at a repair shop. This wouldn't be a problem with winter coming except for the kids need a heater. Please help
  • Options
    jaiyunjaiyun Member Posts: 1
    Bought this van this summer, made sure all the fluids were topped off and A/C seemed to work fine. With the colder weather we have realized the drivers side vents will not put out any heat. It has the climate control zones for rear, driver and passenger so initially I thought some damper somewhere probably was stuck closed for the driver side but since air comes out just fine I realized that probably isn't the case. Anyone know the basic T/S steps I should take? Are there relays or fuses? Does that fan on the drivers side direct/collect heat to feed the drivers side vents? Noticed radiator fluid was low so made sure to get that topped back off.

Any ideas would be great.
  • Options
    rhanningrhanning Member Posts: 2

HELP! Hello, I have a 2000 Plymouth Voyager. Last week I went to turn the heat off and the air on. The heat stayed on, on the drivers side and the air came on, on the passanger side. HELP!