Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    Congratulations! Check Engine Light... did you screw the gas cap on tightly? It has to be a closed pressurized or the light comes on. Other than that, take it back and raise hell. :) Seriously. You should have at least a 48-hour grace period before Lord Lucas finds you (tongue in cheek).

You can have a key made anywhere. There's an ILCO blank that works fine. If you need a "clicker" to remotely unlock the doors (was that available in '94?) look at Ebay... $20.

The radio reset code is identified by VIN, and the dealer can give you that.

I haven't heard of software to read the codes; the dealers have the Testbook (laptop styled machine) to do so. For my truck OBDII readers are available but you can't set parameters or reset the CEL unless you have a Testbook. As for your '94 ... I have no idea.

Congratulations! Check that gas cap.
  • vdumasvdumas Member Posts: 14
    The gas cap.... I searched through these boards and that seems like a possible solution, especially considering filling up seemed to be the cause. But the light will not go out without a testbook reset, I am assuming? Can I do any damage driving with the light on, if it is NOT the gas cap causing the problem? I don't feel/see/hear any engine misfiring or problems, but the manual says get the vehicle checked out asap if the light comes on. I am going to take her in to get the gas tank recall done, and will probably bust out to have her thoroughly checked out, but the dealer is 100 miles away and I have to get there...

Anyway, enjoying the truck like no other....
  • erikjerikj Member Posts: 14
    Well, my '99 D-II is having the ACE O-Rings replaced ($900) and the seatbelt pretensioner sensor fixed ($400). Warning chimes for both are pretty annoying! What I'm putting off is the ABS pump replacement ($1900) that I'm told will have to happen to keep those warning lights from coming on. It's apparently something having to do with a shuttle valve that's not working right. There is also oil seeping from the mainseal that (I'm told) will eventually run about $2000 to fix.

I think I've pretty much had it. The truck has been great to drive, but I just can't perpetually deal with these kinds of bills. I think the truck gonna have to go.
  • discomandiscoman Member Posts: 110
    Sounds like you got a pretty good deal. I also had the light come on. But Bob (Nanuq) gave me a great tip to shut it off. Oh wait that's the service engine light. Anyway the radio code is by VIN, but mine didn't work, so I had to take it in so they could take the radio out and call the manufacturer (Pioneer) and get the code. Turns out the original radio was bad and replaced. But the records never were updated to reflect the new code.

Had to replace the muffler on my 96, and decided to go all out and replace it with a Borla performance exhaust. What a difference. It feels like someone let go of the brakes. I have about 20-30 more HP and better torque too. Also got an extra 50 Miles out of a tank of gas. Sounds like a muscle car too. I did the work myself (almost) Turns out both studs on the catalytic converter Y pipe snapped off clean. Then I found out the old muffler can't be removed without cutting the pipe in half, and then it was a pain to get it of the hangers. But I was lucky enough to be in the military and working at an Auto Hobby Shop on base, so help was at hand. There were a couple other guys there and the shop assistant. And they all came over to help. One of them had a Pneumatic cutter, and cut the pipe. Then the shop guy came over with a couple of Vise Grips and a pneumatic hammer and some penetrating oil. We managed to get the studs out and replaced them with bolts. Then we put everything back together and when I started her up, I thought the guy next to me had started up his Mustang, til I stepped on the gas and was in heaven. :D The old muffler went into the scrap metal bin, but the most interesting thing was that I looked behind me as I was carrying it and noticed all the chunks of loose charcoal and honeycomb inside falling out. :surprise: No wonder it was sluggush. Now it's smooooth :shades: and a little loud, but unleashed. :) Anyone else ventured to the Dark side?
    Can you tell if the truck is charging? Maybe put a voltmeter across the battery terminals to make sure it's jumping up to +/- 14v when you start it. If that's okay then I'd say the CEL is from a poor gas cap seal, or the filler neck attachment to the tank, or even a cracked fuel tank (the recall item). How long had the truck sat before you bought it? Could the gas cap seal have gone bad? Did you put the correct gas cap back on it... did you accidentally trade it with someone else at the pump? And when you put the cap back on did you tighten it till the internal ratchet clicked?

I'd say it will be fine and 100 miles to the dealer for the Big Checkout will be no problem, as long as it's charging and all the components are turning with the belts.

Good luck!
    " I have about 20-30 more HP and better torque too. Also got an extra 50 Miles out of a tank of gas". Wow, that is significant. The exhaust on mine looks pretty good, but I'll bear this post in mind when the time comes. I am waiting with anticipation to see what my mpg is...

Regarding the Check Engine light. I read something on the Robison Service site where the statement is made that "disconnect the battery no longer clears fault codes on a '96 and newer rovers". My assumption from this is that disconnecting the battery on a 94 is an acceptable technique to reset fault codes. Anyone know if this is okay to do?

Oh, and nanuq, the diff lock worked fine, was not seized at all. I did the deep mud test you described. Hehe, what fun it was too...
    Nanuq, i think the gas cap is probably the culprit, I checked it and I did not give it a full turn till it clicked. I will check if the truck is charging as well. I just posted previously about resetting the light by disconnecting the battery - I know on a 96 it is not the way to go, but my understanding is that with a 94 it is ok.... I will wait for confirmation before doing it however.

This weekend I am going to replace the fluids, the serpantine belt looks a tad worn so I'll change that too. Can anyone think of anything else I should address? Some of the hoses are looking a tad old, any notorious ones I should check and replace?
    Yeah. Check the vacuum hose for the cruise Control. That one tends to rot. QUick fix is to trim about 2-3 inches at the "T" and reconnect. ALso check the Power Steering reservoir hose. That one tends to leak. Also the ones from the plenum to the valve covers will collapse after time. Check the Spark Plug wires for cracking and replace them if you need to. I'm not sure, but I think the 94 has a distributor so you might want to check that and the rotor too. Make sure when you replace the fluids you replace all 3 diff oils too. I recommend synthetic or blend oil and don't forget the air filter. :blush: That's about all I can think of.
  • lorileyloriley Member Posts: 3
    My Service Engine light came on and just got the diagnosis... Different valves are sticking in the cylinder - requiring that they need to retool the gaskets at a cost w/service of over $3200. Mech. said that this is b/c of a lack of oil change or wrong weight oil... I had the truck in for service last year.. does this seem like an adequate explanation? (as you can tell I'm not a mechanic) Thanks for your help
    Didn't you say your radio is deactivated? Hmmmmmmmmm. Maybe because someone prior to you has had the same trouble and has been disconnecting the battery cable? Hmmmmmmmmm. If so, you might have to look a little deeper than the gas cap. Perhaps where the filler neck attaches the tank, or the tank itself might be leaking. There's a recall out right now for that.

First step, tighten the gas cap and then go for a 15 minute drive. Then stop and open the cap... it should go WHOOOOOOOooooooooooosssssssshhhhhhhhh and all the fumes come out (it will be pressurized). If not, there's your problem!
    What year is your Disco? And have the oil changes been done on a regular basis? Usually infrequent changes will give you "tappety" / ticky valves.

The sticking exhaust valves started around '96 and were covered by warranty. At least mine were......

More details please?
    It's a 2000... my husband had it brought it in for oil change after it was in in Feb 04. I should think that would be regularly enough?
  • kscctsksccts Member Posts: 140
    You didn't change the oil for 15 months? No wonder you have a problem! :sick:
    No... we did change it... I don't know the date but I know that it is after the Feb 04 service b/c my husband took care of it so, most likely it was in for an oil change in September 04...
    Nanuq, you must have misunderstood, the radio is working fine. In fact, everything is working great and she's running well. I was wondering about disconnecting the battery to reset the service engine light, reading between the lines I understand this may work on a 94... I checked the gas cap and did indeed not tighten it fully in my excitement but I will do the "woosh" test to be sure.

Does it matter what brand of fluids I use? Are all oils created equal?
  • 98discotex98discotex Member Posts: 8
    I've also looked for information on putting some headers on my '98 Disco II- and came up blank! Did you ever find any information? Needing to replace the original muffler, so was looking to do a total exhaust system... Any suggestions, or did you give up?
  • newbuyer5newbuyer5 Member Posts: 2
    I think I have the same problem but not sure. My wwooow , low humm noise happens between 70-80 mph. I don't feel any vibration and as soon as i get off the gas pedal its stops or if the speed drops below 70mph. The car has 10k miles , i just bought it last year , factory tires goodyear and its a 2004. Should i be concerned?
    Are you from Nome, Alaska? I have a friend there named Tim whose wife has the same name... it's uncommon enough I just have to ask! If so, how's Addison? Probably all grown up by now? :)

Anyway, I thought the sticking exhaust valves thing was solved PDQ after it started appearing in '96 with the GEMS system. It's hugely expensive, a warranty item, and the factory would want to put an end to that pronto! It might be something else. The fault codes can mean any number of other things too. Does it run weak, like it's not firing on several cylinders? That's what mine would do, then it would kick in again and run fine. They also thought it was the mass air sensor. Are they POSITIVE it's sticking valves? I'd be highly suspect. Highly.

Lack of oil changes won't make the valves stick in the head. That happened because the head design and valve timing allowed unburnt fuel / carbon to accumulate on the exhaust stems, eventually sticking them in the guides.

Really REALLY chronic lack of oil changes will produce other tell tale signs. Open the filler on the valve cover and look down in there. Wipe a finger around and pull it out... is there grunge and black crud on your finger? That means not enough detergent has been thru there... the oil has been neglected.

Have another opinion made for the truck. I bet it's something else. There are also places to look on the web regarding obdII error codes for a Rover.

How does it run? What told you something was wrong? Did anyone do a compression / leakdown test?

Cheers!
    Don't be worried. Rotate the tires every 5 months. Watch the pressures... all is well.
  • tcat1tcat1 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have the proper procedure for changing the tranny fluid and bleeding the abs brake system for the 2000 disco II ? I don't have a shop manual for the disco yet, but I do have a manual for 95 thru 2001 range rover. I think these procedures should be the same? Maybe?
    If your truck is anything like mine, these are easy services. But... have you had the auto trans filter replaced? I think that's due on or before the 60k service. It's a job you'll hate if you try it yourself. On my truck it means spreading the frame rails to remove a cross-member, etc.

To change the auto trans, just open the drain bolt and drain it. Then put the bolt back in and refill it. You need to check it, I believe idling in park, and replenish the fluid as necessary. DO NOT OVERFILL. If you want to really get a good swap on the fluid, do this three times over the course of a couple weeks. My truck has no drain in the torque converter so it takes awhile to circulate the new lube into the converter, and to mix the old/nasty with the new/clean. Then you change it again, and repeat. Eventually you'll get out probably at least 90% of the old fluid. I am not sure if the 2000 DII is like mine... caveat emptor.

Same with bleeding the brakes... put a clear tube over the bleed screw and then applying brake pressure, you crack open the screw and let the pedal drop to the floor. Then you close the screw before letting the pedal back up. If you put the downstream end of the clear tubing in the catch tank into which your old brake fluid is running, then you cannot suck air bubbles back into the caliper. Make sure to replenish the brake fluid as you do this so you don't let the fill tank go empty. You should see a color change to the fluid as the old stuff gets worked out of the lines and the new fluid arrives at the calipers (hence the clear tubing). Make sure you don't allow ANY air bubbles into the brake system, or you'll have spongy brakes.

Cheers!
  • mnrovermnrover Member Posts: 52
    I guess I have given up on new headers for my Disco II. Couldn't find any info. Only found aftermarket headers for the Disco I. I was hoping someone from across the pond would have ideas.
  • tcat1tcat1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks nanuq, you're right, this service should be simple. Only thing is with the tranny has no filler tube or dipstick. ( go figure) So, according to the Range Rover manual, you are supposed to refill via fill plug on the side of the fluid pan until fluid runs out---then start engine, leave idling, and continue filling until fluid runs out again. Doesn't sound very exact. But we will see what happens.
  • leprechaunakleprechaunak Member Posts: 1
    Greetings fellow Disco owners. I recently just purchased a used LR Disco and am thouroughly enjoying it so far. I do wonder if anyone has played around with different options to improve the gas mileage. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I am well aware that it is a large SUV that isn't designed for good mpg, however I figure getting one or two more miles out of my gallon would be worth some hassle. Also I was wondering if anyone has played with the idea of installing something to make it part time 4WD. Just a question, buddy did it with a vehicross and am awaiting the results. On a side note, heres a holler to all Alaska rollers.
  • mathstnmathstn Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info, although I coughed up the bucks for original part replace I can purchase a few for future replacement use.

Please provide a product/model type?

thanks,

matt
  • mathstnmathstn Member Posts: 2
    Leprechaunak and fellow owners,

I see we share a delimma, I also recently purchased a :confuse: 2000 LR Disco II, and I enjoy my weekend jaunts, even with the cost of gas these days. However, I am interested in obtaining maximum gas mileage. To this cause I purchased a fuel optimizing device with hopes of stretching mileage. But thinking that locating the fuel line for application isn't as simple as I anticipated and my attempts to locate the fuel line are not successful. Short of consulting a mechanic any suggestions on where I can find text or diagrams or just plain assistance that would lead me to the incoming fuel line.

Any/all assistance is appreciated.

thanks,

matt
  • kmbroverkmbrover Member Posts: 1
    I have been going to the dealership to have brake pads replaced every single year and it is insanely expensive. If I am not capable of changing them myself, what is another option for me? Can I buy the brake pads at an auto parts store or online and then take it to an auto center to have them put on? I have a 2000 Disco II. And is it normal to have to replace them so often?
  • azyreaazyrea Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I have a 1996 Land Rover Discovery. Recently the radio was disconnected from the battery and the theft mode was activated. I have the special code to reactivate it, but apparently some extra buttons have to be pressed before or after the actual code is pressed. I know the answer is in the 1996 Discovery Manual, but we lost that. Anyone with answers?

Thanks,

Azyreaimage
    I had the same problem in my 96 also. No there are no special extra buttons you need to press. The code you have for your radio is simply the wrong one. Apparently there were some of them (including mine, and yours) that head faulty radios, and were swapped out, and the technicians at the factory or dealership didn't bother issuing new cards with the new code, and/or updating the LR database. I even got the code from LR and it was still wrong. The service guys had to pull the radio out and get the serial # off the top of it, then call Pioneer and get the manufacturer's code. For me they did it at no cost since it was their fault I didn't have the right code. It was a completely different code than LR had. When they give you the code, make sure you write it down. You will have to take it in, because of the tool needed to pull the radio out, also they will need to see ID and make sure it is your truck and you are not a thief trying to get the code, so they won't do it over the phone (unless you are on a fist name basis with your service rep :) which means you spend entirely too much time at the dealer.
  • azyreaazyrea Member Posts: 2
    Haha, That little bit of info may prove to be insanely helpful. Thanks a ton for your response.

Azyrea
    Brake pads are *ridiculously* easy to change on a Disco. Totally easy. Do it with both eyes closed. Even easier than that. At least on my '96 they are... it should be just as easy for you.

Go to Schucks or Napa or wherever and GET THE CHEAP PADS. Those are the soft ones that wear out quick and save your rotors. I paid under $25 a pair for the last cheapies I bought.

1 - Loosen the lugs nuts
    2 - Jack it up and use jack stands
    3 - Remove the lug nuts, then the wheel
    4 - Remove the cotter pins from the two pins holding the pads in place
    5 - Slide out the long pins that hold the pads in place
    6 - Use two long screwdrivers and gently but firmly press the pad/piston back into the caliper. Make sure you push the pad/pistons in on both sides. There will be lots of gap between the pads and the rotors when you're done.
    7 - Pull out the old pads (pliers)
    8 - Slide in the new pads (there should be enough room if you pushed the pistons far enough back into the calipers)
    9 - Slide in the long pins to hold the brake pads
    10 - Put on new cotter pins
    11 - Put the wheel / lug nuts on firmly
    12 - Drop the truck and torque the wheel lug nuts

Presto! 15 minutes work.

CAVEAT: Step #6 says to just push the old pads and pistons back into the calipers with screwdrivers. This does work but you can push cruddy old brake fluid back up the lines into the ABS pump. If your brake fluid is old, don't do it. What that means is, you have to crack open the brake bleed screw on the caliper as you push the pistons in, making a big mess. Then you close the bleed screw and you bleed the brakes. It's easy. That's how I do it but it's a little harder.

Seriosly, you can do a pair of brake pads in 30 minutes on a Disco. Replace the rotors when they wear thin... not before that.

Cheers!
  • kscctsksccts Member Posts: 140
    I absolutely second this description. I have a 2000 DII and it is very easy to change the pads. No way I would pay the dealer $200 which is what they charge for a brake service PER axle. :shades:
  • honey5honey5 Member Posts: 1
    I looked at a Discovery series 11 today,,,,2001 with 44,000 miles. Asking price is $17,900.00 I have been wanting one for a long time but would love to have some feedback. Is this a good price and is everyone happy with theres? Also,,,Does this SU cost anymore on insurance then others? Thanks for any help...
  • 98discotex98discotex Member Posts: 8
    Does the oil pan drain screw come with a gasket? I recently had my oil changed at a neighborhood oil change outlet and have noticed it leaking from the drainplug. It's tight, I leaned on it myself- upon inspection it isn't cross threaded, but I noticed the plug itself looks new... I'm wondering if the old plug fell in the old oil and they simply grabbed one to replace it? Any ideas?
  • peeetepeeete Member Posts: 136
    This is a subject that has been beaten to death I know, but I thought my results this weekend were encouraging. I have a 2004 Disco with about 3800 miles on it. I did 180 miles on the highway yesterday with a 50/50 mix of premium and mid grade gas, and the highway was narrow and hilly, so maximum efficiency was not possible. Cruise was used when I could.

I calculated approximately 19.25 miles to the gallon! I never thought this possible. Around town, I get 9 or 10. It is especially surprising as the EPA rating is 12/16.

My old Infiniti G35 was a gas hog too, getting 15 mpg around town, but 25 on the highway. So I guess the substantial increase was warranted.

If it was only 19 everyday! :)
  • bird050666bird050666 Member Posts: 1
    Greetings from Hawaii! With gas the way it is here! I feel your pain. I have an 04 Disco with 4.6 eng. I drive about 325 miles a week on 3/4 of a tank or about 20 gallons. The best advice I can give is keep the rpm's down in the bumper to bumper traffic. I try to keep it below 2000 rpm's. You might make the guy behind you mad, but it will save help save gas. All so I use Gunk fuel injector cleaner 2 times a month. Try to use your cruse control as much as you can. As for driving in 3 rd gear in traffic. I did not see any increase in mpg. So I stopped doing it. I also have a K@N air filter. That helped the most for me.
  • peeetepeeete Member Posts: 136
    The AIR FILTER made a significant difference?

I wouldn't think it would mean that much.

Thanks!
    My '96 doesn't have a washer on the oil drain plug. For the diffs the factory puts on a bit of Hylomar to prevent leaks... it would probably work great for the oil pan too. Mine doesn't leak so I haven't tried it.

I wonder if you got the wrong drain plug back after the oil change?
    Tex, Nanuq

There is indeed a copper washer that is supposed to be in between the drain plug and the oil pan. It's copper so it will compress and fill in any uneven or scratched surfaces and prevent leaks. It should be replaced every time you change your oil. I always buy my K&N oil filters from roverconnection.com and they include a new washer with each filter. I don't know about them replacing your pug with another. Most cars oil plugs are much smaller than your disco's. A point of trivia is that your drain plug is the same size as your lug nuts. or 1 1/8" Most other cars/trucks use a much smaller 9/16" oil plug. So if they replaced it, it was most likely a genuine one. Keep in mind that most times the plug does fall in the oil catcher pan, and they take it out and wipe it off with a rag. So it would look new, just because any road grime would be wiped off. :D
  • dogcorleonedogcorleone Member Posts: 8
    Nanuq,

I have read the past 10 pages of this forum, and by all accounts you seem to be an expert on discos, which is why i am directing my question towards you.

I have never owned a LR product. I have always heard they are unreliable. It is hard to quantify this statement, and looking on message boards isn't exactly the answer because most people who comment are complaining so the results are skewed.

My wife is really wanting a LR. She has found one at a local dealer (not a certified LR dealer). It is a 1996 Discovery with 115k miles on it. The body is immaculate, no rust, dents, signs of repair. The inside is ok, with the exception of the leather being somewhat cracked and the plastic just below the gear shifter that is SUPPOSED to slide is stuck and the plastic broken. I test drove it and it performed quite nice with the exception of a "ticking" noise anytime the gas pedal is being engaged. Also the shifter for the 4 wheel drive hi/low is frozen.

The price on it is right, at $4,800 (sticker was 6,500 for whatever that is worth). The dealer (who also runs a mechanic shop) said he would fix the shifter (he reiterated what you've said about it being caused by non-usage) and would look at the ticking noise (i have no idea what it could be as unfortunately i am car repair illeterate). Of course, I would have my own mechanic look it over (i'd take it to a LR dealer, but the nearest one is about 150 miles away).

Is there anything I should look for or know about this model? Are they as unreliable as some would have me to believe? Are the repair bills ridiculously expensive? How many more miles should i expect it to last? Can you run 87 octane gasoline in it or is premium mandatory?

Any info would be most appreciated, thanks.

Jim

P.S. Although I directed this message to Nanuq, I'd be happy to listen to anyone who may have some info.
    Ahhhhhh, I think you've found a good one. Mine has 98,000 HARD miles on it (extensive offroading) and nothing has ever broken offroad, period. Nothing. It has never stranded me or left me walking.

A friend in California (Mike Green) owns West Coast British. Last time I talked with him (a couple years ago) he had 650,000 miles on his '96 with one rebuild.

If you get a good one of these trucks, you're in for a treat. At 115k miles I think it's a good one. That's a lot of years of consistent use.

My wife ADORES this truck... she says it's the most solid, most fun thing she's ever driven, and that includes a bunch of sporty cars and Mercedes. It has excellent outward visibility and it's very maneuverable. It also sucks gas so try to limit running around town in it! About that... sure you can burn 87 octane but it will eventually retard the timing a bit for self preservation... that just reduces performance a bit. Every 3 or 4 tanks give it the good stuff and let that clean out any deposits.

Can you look up its history by VIN? The big thing to look for is sticking exhaust valves, tho that should happen within 30-40k miles. I bet it's been done.

Have the compression checked. Make sure there are no leaks in the head gaskets. Check the fluids and see if they look nasty or if they've been maintained. Take a look beneath it... are the swivel balls leaky? HAVE they been leaky? Is there any 90w in the balls or are they dry? Have the diffs been changed? You'll see marks where fasteners are frequently loosened and replaced.

The ticking could be a loose exhaust manifold / Y-pipe connection. Above the front diff there's a flange with 3 bolts and this can come loose. Same with the driver's side. Or it could be a cracked exhaust manifold, or a bad CV joint (see my comment about dry swivels) or the rear end of the aft driveshaft could be going bad at the Hookes joint... that's a screwy rubber/plastic piece that can break.

If you are serious about it, consider a trip to a Quicky Lube place and have the transfer case and auto trans fluids replaced. Diffs too. That will tell you a lot about their condition. Look for "milky" hypoid lube from the diffs... that means it's been waded with leaky axle seals.

Do the lifters tick? If they do then it's had long durations between oil changes... that says a lot too.

One nice thing, these trucks are EASY to work on. Get a set of tools and learn to change your own fluids and brake pads. You'll love doing it. It really is easy. Change all the fluids at least every year, engine oil every 3k miles.

At this age you're looking at replacing the alternator, power steering pump, perhaps the ABS pump, perhaps the rotors. These are each maybe $300 - $400 repairs. The ABS pump will be higher (or you can pull the ABS fuse and ignore it).

You can do any of these repairs yourself. A mechanic could do any of these jobs in under 2 hours... you're looking at parts plus maybe $200 labor.

My advice is to have your mechanic look it over closely. Check the history by VIN. Pull the OBDII codes and see how it's been running. If it all checks out, then take a chance on it... that's a good price and it has lots of life left in it.

Good luck!
    Nanuq,

Thanks for the rapid response. I am printing out the info and taking that with me to my mechanic so he can look for what you mentioned. I'll let you know how it turns out (hopefully it won't be sold before I commit).

Jim
    Dog

Couple other things. Look underneath and take a good look at the mufflers and make sure they are in good condition. I hav a 96 also and aroung 109K miles on it. Everything works great. Had a couple bumps and grinds along the way, but everything is great now. Nanuq is right about the alternator. Just had mine replaced. Muffler, I replaced myself with a Borla. A bit pricier than an original, but it sounds really cool, has a bit more power, and increased my highway mileage. Also check the battery cables. Make sure they are in good condition. The plastic insulation tends to get brittle and crack with age, and then shorts out. Same with Spark plug wires. I just had to have my negative cable replaced. Some of the Disco 1's (Mine included) had a modifiation performed which replaced the 90W in the swivels with a heavy grease that never needs replacement, nor does it leak. Also there was a recent recall on the gas tanks. By the way Bob, Did you get yours replaced? After the mechanic fixed the diff lock, I would suggest shifting it once a month to lock, and back after a couple minutes, and shifting it into low at least once a quarter. This is if you don't off road all the time like Nanuq. I also recommend you replace the fuel filter about now too. It's not too hard to replace yourself, but you will need to remove the right rear wheel to do it. Best thing you can buy is the maintenance CD. It had ALL the information you will need as far as maintenance, repairs, parts, wiring, etc. I recommend using synthetic or synthetic blend oil, and if you don't off road all the time, 5000 miles is OK. Manufacturer says 7500. anything else you need to know we are all here to help each other (some of us anyway) I don't like the guys who do nothing but complain and whine. This forum is so we can share remedies as well as problems. Hope you get your truck. The 96's are really in demand.
    Discoman,

Thanks for the additional info. As I mentioned earlier, my mechanic abilities are lacking. I looked online and found the manuals you referred to, I've always wanted to learn how to work on cars and this could be my opportunity. The only thing holding me back at this point is my trade-in. It is a small dealer so he doesen't really like to carry alot of inventory, but he told me i could sell it on his lot on consignment. I got her cleaned up and am taking it over there today. I really hope it works out, as reading this forum has me excited about it.

Thanks again,

Jim
    I was confused earlier. It turns out it, it is a 1995. I don't know why I had 1996 in my head. Does that change anything? Is there much difference between the two?

Oh, and just to clarify, the vehicle will seldom if ever be offroad, my wife just likes the way they look (of course, i may have to test it out on occasion)

jim
    Here is a pic of the actual one I am looking at.
    I'm not entirely sure, but I do know one of the differences is that the 95 has a 3.9L engine and the 96 started with the 4.0L. Also I am not sure bout the ignition. I think the 95 has a distributor, and then 9 has multiple coils. Mabe Nanuq or Tincup can go over some of the differences better than me.
  • riroverrirover Member Posts: 5
    Hey, Nanuq,

You've got me all psyched up for tinkering with my truck. I just changed my transfer gear box oil. Put in a Valvoline synthetic. Think I'll change the plugs this weekend. I also desperately want to change the auto transmission fluid. I called Jake Kaplan's (local Rover dealer) - they quoted me $400 for a new filter and fluid - seems steep to me, but I understand that the filter change is complicated (the Hayne's manual doesn't even begin to explain the process - it just says "See Land Rover Dealer"). What if I leave the filter in there and just change the fluid every few months? Good enough, you think?

One more question - anybody know of a weblink that details where the grease fittings are on Series 1?

Dogcorleone, I have had my '98 (99000 miles) for 3 months now, and I'm loving it. Haven't taken her offroad yet - want to get the shocks replaced first - but will soon.

Thanks,
    Josh
    Do you know if the truck had its 65,000 mile service? You can look it up by VIN. If so they (should have) replaced the transmission filter. If so you're set... it's changed ONCE in your truck's life and then fluid changes only. These are tough transmissions. I just change fluids every year and it works great. To drop the pan and change the trans filter you have to spread the frame rails and remove the cross member ... a hydraulic jack and a couple pieces of 2x4 do the trick. If you do this, smear a big wad of Vaseline on the cross member and the frame rails before you slide it back in... that keeps water out.

It's easy to change your swivels and diffs too... use your socket wrench for the diff plugs. Before you open up the swivels clean the plugs well so no dirt falls in the hole. Also turn the steering wheel hard over to the side you're working on so the toothed gear is not in the way of the new lube going in.

Good luck! Also try OME shocks... Old Man Emu.
    SWEEEEEEEEEEET!!! BRG!!! (British Racing Green) And it has '96 wheels on it... it must be a late model. The rear bumper end caps aren't bent down (yet) and it hasn't had the antenna broken off (yet)! The front bumper end cap on the near side looks a bit strange where it parallels the green bodywork... is there damage there or has it just hit a snowbank and pushed the bumper up into the fender? I do that 100 times every winter. No biggie, it just pushes right back into place.

It looks like it has the stock Dunlops, you can go a size taller for better ground clearance.

One piece of good news: the 4.0 engine saw the advent of the GEMS system and that's when the exhaust valves begun sticking. Your 3.9L will NOT have that problem... no way. Make sure it's a 3.9 if it's a late '95 (I'm thinking so because it has '96 wheels on it).

It looks like the passenger seat is reclined... is it broken? Are you SURE? That's expensive. And you'll love the leather on the interior... it's the absolute highest grade leather available worldwide, period. Two grades higher than Cadillac and that used on Jags and fine furniture.

It looks like it has new rear springs... there's good wheel well clearance. Front springs might be a little low.

Check the rear window electric lifts... do they work? Common problem with the ECU card behind the glove box failing a solder joint.

You will also be pleased to know that it probably has heated seats. If there's no switch to activate them, it's easy to put one in. I think all '95 and '96 came with the elements in place... to get heated seats you just put in a switch to turn them on.

Man that looks like a sweet Disco. I just showed my wife and now she wants to fly us down there, buy it, and drive it back up the Alcan to Alaska. :)

Here's a shot of my Disco up by Byron Glacier. Cheers!