Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Matrix: MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• djsyndromedjsyndrome Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2003 XRS 6-speed with 112k miles. Mileage has been consistently 28 per mixed (50/50) tank, and around 32 for highway trips with the AC off. I do throttle it and hit lift occasionally, but normally I shift around 3k and don't drive it as hard as it wants me to :P
  • dafydafy Member Posts: 5
    Bought a 2007 XR automatic last year. Live in hilly PA. Averaged 30 mpg. low was 28.9 mpg, high was 32.8 mpg. Fast driver- driving was mixed between highway and local. Suspect you could get a little more out of it if you drive it nice. No problems with it. Tires held up, brakes held up as did everything else. Handled well, fairly quiet and peppy enough. Suspect toyota could get more mileage out of it if they could get the rpm down to idle(800 rpm) when you release the gas pedal. Can carry a lot of stuff with the fold down seats and opening the rear window is a big plus-can bring home long items-10-12 foot 2x4s etc. To get a good price on toyota vehicles, you should get a sunday paper from a place like long island, n.y where there are lots of people, lots of toyota dealers and lots of competion. You can get a base model, auto, power package, winter guard, cruise and mats for 15930. If you are trading in-you got to know the value of the trade. Bring the n.y. add to your toyota dealer and ask them to match it. Suspect you should get a reasonable deal.
  • clivia4121clivia4121 Member Posts: 8
    After posting my question, I ended up buying a 2007 XR Matrix manual transmission 5 speed in July. I was thrilled to get almost 40 mpg from the start! And I really like the car. But, just in the past 3 or 4 weeks I've noticed it slipping and it now has gradually gone from about 38 to 30 mpg! Any ideas about what's going on?
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    We ARE getting into winter now. The gas changeover has occurred (it switches to oxygenated gas in November, earlier in some places, which will get you slightly worse gas mileage), and temperatures are colder, causing your car to take longer to warm up in the morning.

I have seen many people here at Edmunds report a 5-point swing or more from summer to winter in their gas mileage (various models).

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• kerry8kerry8 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone else have a reduction in their MPG during the winter months? I live in MA and the same thing happened last winter. My mileage went from 32/34 to 26 or so starting in Nov. thru April. When I called the dealer last winter he said it has to do with the additives in the gas? This seems a strange occurance.
    Not additives, oxygenates blended in. the more oxygenates in your gas, the lower your mileage will be. But that's not the only thing of course. Cold weather makes your car warm up slower too, any time it has been sitting for a few hours or more. And when it is running cold, it is burning a LOT more gas than when it is at full operating temperature.

The more cold starts you have per tank of gas, the more your mileage will swing DOWN in the winter.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• nerv2010nerv2010 Member Posts: 2
    I have an '03 auto XR and over the 75k miles I've put on it, I average 33.6MPG. Best was 42, worst 28. 40s were when I was breaking in the car and babying it and I usually drive a little aggressive so it probably could be better. Make sure to keep your tires at the optimal psi and occasionally stay off the brake.
  • tedd66tedd66 Member Posts: 4
    Just got a 2007 XR with 18k on it, and got ~23 MPG in 100% city driving (Kalamazoo, MI so small, city) on the first fill-up. Dead of winter, oxygenated gas, all in-town driving, 6 mile one-way commute total and automatic transmission are probably costing me 5-6 MPG over "normal" driving conditions. I expect closer to 26-30 in summer, with more mixed driving and non-oxygenated gas.
  • matrixmamatrixma Member Posts: 3
    I have an '05, just bought it the end of Nov. First tank of gas was regular 89 octane, I got 35 mpg and was pleasantly surprised, because the gas gauge seemed to go down fast, but my mileage was up! Second tank was 91 octane-I figured I'd get better mileage, but no! This tank fell to 27mpg. Whassup? Do you all run supreme or regular? During the second tank we had really cold temps, if that matters....
  • matrixmamatrixma Member Posts: 3
    I have an '05, just bought it the end of Nov. First tank of gas was regular 89 octane, I got 35 mpg and was pleasantly surprised, because the gas gauge seemed to go down fast, but my mileage was up! Second tank was 91 octane-I figured I'd get better mileage, but no! This tank fell to 27mpg. Whassup? Do you all run supreme or regular? During the second tank we had really cold temps, if that matters....
    Really cold temps DO matter, and don't run premium - you are just wasting your money and may find that your mileage is worse to boot.

I run 87 unleaded in mine, the running average is still around 34.5, but my last fill-up was a low outlier: 33 mpg. The weather here has been cold too - that causes it to take longer to warm up in the morning, which increases gas consumption.

Edit...you must be some place at altitude if your regular is 89 octane? In that case, I see that you were only running midgrade with the 91 but still, don't waste your money. Just run regular.

• djsyndromedjsyndrome Member Posts: 4
    At least you have a choice of octane - the XRS only takes 91. Any less and it goes :sick:
    this weekend, 70 mph stuff for hours on end, passing at 80, no A/C needed, only managed 36 mpg over about 900 miles. Not as good as I would like, considering I get 34 around town. :sick:

filled up tonight: 363 miles, 10.3 gallons, that's slightly better than 35 mpg on a mixed tank. Good stuff! :-)
    The somewhat warmer weather we have been having lately must have helped.

• confutatusconfutatus Member Posts: 3
    Is this normal? I just got an '08 automatic at the end of December. I been driving in Northern Ohio, so weather is cold, but not all the time. My mpg stinks - its been very disappointing. I consistently get about 21-22. The BEST was on a 200 mile road trip to michigan and topped at 26 or so. This seems awfully low, despite cold weather, especially for a brand new matrix. I'm not super aggressive either. Any ideas?
    is the enemy to fuel economy in the Matrix. Holding it to 65 or so on the highway will greatly improve mileage. I used to pull 31 or so most of the time in my automatic.

If the car is totally brand new, mileage may improve some as the miles go by, until around 10K on the odometer.

• indgomtrxindgomtrx Member Posts: 7
    i think mileage will improve as you add miles. now have about 32k on my 2006 xr w/ auto (bought nov 2005). i try to use cruise control when permissable. recently with really cold weather i've gotten around 27 going between 70-77 mph driving on the interstate. Last "long" road trip from indy to chicago got 30 mpg earlier this month. oddly best mileage was about 38mpg (when the car had about 10k) going from indy to dc (may 2006) on i70 where i tried to stay between 70-75, occassionally 80 when passing, ac running on lowest speed. on the way back got ~35mpg. normally my "city" mileage (a few miles street driving then about 10 minutes interstate) has ranged from 30mpg with warmer weather and between 24- 27 mpg with cold weather ~10 degrees.
  • wilson12wilson12 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2007 Matrix 5 sp. I have about 6500 miles on it, and have checked the mileage on about every fill up. My mileage has ranged from 26 - 36 mpg. The 36 was going from Johnson City, TN to Charleston, SC which is four lane the whole way. The return trip on same route averaged 32 mpg (up hill). Most fillups have averaged 27-30, which is combined city and highway miles. I have a specific question regarding low speed surging that's driving me crazy, which I will post as a new question after getting my thoughts together!
    last night: XR 5-speed, 380 miles, 10.75 gals, which is 35-1/3 mpg according to my calculator. I guess that will do for now! ;-)

• mrcranstonmrcranston Member Posts: 4
    Just got a brand new 08 std auto Matrix in January, right now I have less than 1000 miles on the car. I'm only getting about 20mpg - all city under 40mph driving. I am in Denver, CO so the weather and fuel might be effecting this but I anticipated at least 26-28mpg! I'm taking it into the shop tomorrow to see if anything needs to be tweaked, because it sometimes feels like it is struggling when it is shifting. Has anyone tried turning off the overdrive for city driving so see if it helps the gas mileage? Is anyone else experiencing these low numbers?
    Thanks,
    Megan
    I think that isn't normal - I would speak to the dealer. Are you breaking it in gently?
    AND all in-town driving under 40 mph AND it is an auto? 20 mpg sounds like it's at the low end of normal given all the ANDs. The question is, with your driving pattern, how did your last car do relative to its EPA ratings?

Under the old system the auto Matrix was rated like 27 mpg city, I believe.

Oh, and locking the car out of overdrive will consume MORE gas, not less. The more high gears the car has to use, the less gas it will use. Also, if you are still under 1000 miles on the clock, your mileage is probably still improving as the engine breaks in a bit. With only 5 tanks of gas under your belt, you may want to wait another 3 months or so before coming to any solid conclusions about your gas mileage.

• mrcranstonmrcranston Member Posts: 4
    I had a 1987 Honda Accord LX auto with over 200K on it - on a bad day I'd get 23mpg on a good day around 28-30mpg. I filled up the matrix yesterday - I'll see how it does on this tank. I cancelled the trip to the mechanic, thought I'd give it a few more weeks.

Thanks for the advice!
    Hmm, it seems that your old Honda had a rating of 21/27, so if you were pulling 23-25 normally then you are right, the mileage is unexpecedly low with your new Matrix.

Break-in may yet improve your mileage a couple of points, and summer will almost certainly improve it a couple more, so it is still worth it to wait a bit longer and see how it goes.

The Matrix will be significantly faster than your old Accord - perhaps you are also driving a bit faster than you used to?

I know from experience that fuel economy in the Matrix is VERY sensitive to speed. Keep it under the limit and avoid fast starts from stoplights and signs, and you can improve your mileage substantially.

• mocoflmocofl Member Posts: 2
    I have an '08 manual with 2500 miles and have been averaging 32mpg. This is a mixture of beach driving (sitting in stop-go traffic for 20min-45min) city and highway. It doesn't get cold here so I don't have to deal with that, but I was expecting better milage than 32mpg, especially on the highway. My last car a '98 mazda protege manual averaged 38-40 mpg driving a 30minute commute each way in downtown Denver (where it gets cold). I guess I need to give it time, break it in and hopefully it will improve. But I sure do miss my old car with these soaring gas prices :cry: (stupid hummers)
    is going up as the weather warms, I'm glad to say! The latest fill-up today was good for 36.5 mpg: 259 miles, 7.1 gallons. :-)

'07 XR 5-speed

• matrix42matrix42 Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 2008 Matrix TRD with automatic and the fuel economy sucks. It has 2417 KM or 1510.6 Miles on it and it is averaging 29.5 miles per gallon (thats 23.6 miles per gallon for you US folks) driving 50/50 city/highway. It is averaging 32 miles per gallon (25.6 miles per gallon US) on highway only driving. It is the worst car I have ever owned for fuel economy and I have owned quite a few cars including Acura Integras, Tercel SR5 4x4, Honda Accords, Mazda MX-3, Chevy Cavaliers, etc. In fact the only vehicle that I have ever owned that got worse gas mileage was a Dodge Grand Caravan with a 3.3 liter engine and it averaged 30 miles per gallon (24 miles per gallon US) driving mostly highway but not all and with 5 adults and a lot of luggage in it, thats only 2 miles per gallon worse than the Matrix with no luggage and only 2 adults sitting in it. The EPA on the matrix is 34 city (27 US) and 45 highway (36 US) but it is not even close to that.
    Before you think it is just me here are a few facts to concider. Every vehicle that I have owned I have gotten almost exactly what the EPA rating is except this one. When I was at the Toyota dealer I talked to an elderly lady who had a 2006 Matrix auto with 104,000 Km (65,000 miles) on it and she said she has averaged 30 miles per gallon since she perchased it. That's a whole half a mile per gallon more than I am getting.
    I also went the local car rental company and talked to an employee who owns a Matrix with a 5 speed manual with 60,000 Km (37,500 Miles) and he said he is averaging 35 miles per gallon (28 miles er gallon US) driving highway only. Thats 3 miles per gallon better than I am getting with an automatic and a car that isn't broken in yet. Sounds pretty close to what I am getting considering the differences.
    Driving the exact same highway with my old 1988 Acura Integra I would get 45 miles per gallon (36 miles/gallon US) not 32 (25.6 US) and that car would eat this one for breakfast anytime anywhere.
    I have gone to the dealer to have it checked out and they say that there is nothing they can do to improve fuel economy. They also said that if the check engine light isn't on it will not pull any codes on the diagnostic computer and without a code there is nothing they can do. I bought this lemon because of its claimed fuel economy and it sucks. I have contacted Toyota Canada and started a claim but will have to wait for 10 business days for a representative to contact me. We will see what they will do.
  • matrixgirl09matrixgirl09 Member Posts: 28
    09 Matrix base model (automatic) been getting 28-29 mpg with maybe 60% city driving and 40% highway driving.. only had it for 1300 miles so far though. Have a few coworkers with the vibe and matrix previous year models and they all get decent gas mileage for the way they drive theirs. I don't drive like a maniac.. lol

We are switching over to the summer blend for gas so the mileage may be slightly better.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    Congratulations on your new ride. This is great news - better mileage than EPA sticker, even before break-in period.
    best fill-up in a while today: 379 miles, 10.0 gallons, so about 38 mpg. Good stuff! :-)

'07 XR 5 speed.

I also had my best fill-up in a long time (since winter started). I got a little over 36 mpg. It was the warmest week we've had so far and I'm hoping it continues to go up.
    I would like to update the message l left on March 30/08 (Gas Mileage Sucks !!!!) Maybe someone can help me out with this.
    Since I wrote that message in which I had be averaging 32 mpg (25.6 mpg US) on highway driving I changed gas stations. The gas station I used up to the point I posted that message was always the same gas station (Extra Foods Gas Bar). Since then I have used a different gas station (Co-op) but always the same one as well. The difference is almost unbelievable.
    The car has now been averaging just over 40 mpg (32mpg US) on 3 different highway trips. That's a 25% improvement in mileage just by changing gas stations everything else is the same (driving same speed, same highway, same number of people ect.)
    Hummm makes me wonder what the difference is. Could it be incorrect pump calibrations, bad fuel, or fuel that doesn't run well on this toyota? or maybe some combination of them?
    Does anybody have any thoughts or has anybody else had results like this?
    I think at some point I will try Extra Foods Gas Bar again just to double check.
    "Could it be incorrect pump calibrations"

Yes, it could, and this is why I avoid cash'n'gas places. If this was the cause, you were getting ripped off every time you bought gas there (you were paying for more gas than you actually got) - I wouldn't recommend going back there for any reason.

A few stations every year face charges and pay huge fines for bilking customers in just this way, and enforcement in this area is woefully understaffed, so for every one prosecuted there are probably hundreds getting away with it all the time.

• loudog2loudog2 Member Posts: 83
    Didn't the Today show have a thing on this a while ago? They say to pump the gas a slow a possible. This helps get the right amount. The faster you pump the less fuel per gallon you get. Then, I think they said if it is above 80 degrees you get less fuel per gallon. So they said it is better to fill up at night or when the temp is below 80 degrees.
    "Then, I think they said if it is above 80 degrees you get less fuel per gallon. So they said it is better to fill up at night or when the temp is below 80 degrees."

One of the car mags recently had an article on this, and it is a myth. The reason it is a myth is that temperatures in the tank, which is the temperature governing the volume of gas you are getting, is very constant because it is underground.

Now I DID see one of those news magazines recently (was it 60 Minutes? I'm not sure, but it was one like that) on the whole issue of these stations knowingly overcharging for their gas by rigging the pumps, which is where that information came from that I posted.

I talked to a rep from Toyota Canada about my poor gas mileage and he was very helpful. He told me that I could bring in my car to the local dealer and have it checked (under warantee) because if it is getting bad fuel economy than that is a warrantee item. He also said the dealers have ways of checking the fuel milage the car is getting and would be happy to do so for me (at no cost). He acutally phoned the dealer of my choice and told the service manager to look after me regarding these two items. The fact that Toyota stands behind their products this well is awesome and is great news for Toyota owners.
    I also talked to him about my findings with changing gas stations and posed the question to him about bad fuel and/or fuel with the wrong type of additive in it that may not work well in this car. He told me that any unleaded fuel from any gas station should be fine. As far as any additives in the fuels he thought that running up to 25% ethanol in the fuel is fine (he wasn't sure but he thought it was 25%) and the fact that gas stations shouldn't be using more than 10% ethanal in their unlead fuel (depending on gas stations) it should be fine.
    I found this interesting since ethanol (or ethyl alcohol) is produced by using a fermentation process of yeast and sugar to produce alcohol which is basically the same type of alcohol found in alcoholic beverages. Ethanol contains approx. 34% less energy per unit volume than gasoline, and therefore in theory, burning pure ethanol in a vehicle should result in a 34% reduction in miles per gallon, given the same fuel economy, compared to burning pure gasoline.
    Therefore, I would have to asume that the more ethanol that is added to the gasoline the worse the gas milage would be using that fuel. In other words if 10% ethanol was added you would expect to get 3.4% worse fuel economy (10% of 34%) than gasoline with no ethanol.
    This would mean that bad fuel or fuel additives could only account for 1-2 mpg difference in fuel economy not the 25% difference I noticed. It would now seem most likely that the cause of the huge difference is incorrect pump calibrations.
    Obviously more checking is needed in my cause but I found this information very interesting.
  • loudog2loudog2 Member Posts: 83
    The 80 degree thing was just a guess. I saw the show a while ago. I couldn't remember the degree they said. You are right, they said it because the temp of the tanks under ground. The temp they said might be a lot lower. If it matters. Did your article say that pumping it out slow helps???
    Yes, apparently it stays a fairly constant 50 degrees underground. And since the pumps are calibrated to a temperature of 70 degrees by the Bureau of Weights and Measures, the consumer actually benefits a tiny, infinitesimal amount.

I don't think the article I saw said anything about pumping slowly or rapidly. But just thinking about it for a second here, my first thought is that the slower you pump it, the less chance there is for air to get in there and make the pump measurement of dispensed quantity inaccurate.

I discovered today just how LOW Matrix can go in the fuel economy it delivers.

I was heading back from LA on the interstate, and turned the keys over to my sister.

She never drives less than 80 mph, with extended stretches at 95 mph and an average of somewhere right in the middle of the two. With the A/C running the entire time and two of us in the car plus luggage, we managed only...

....about 32.5 mpg (360 miles, 11.1 gallons). I will call that a record low for my ownership so far, and it just goes to show what a chomp high speed can take out of your mileage.

• dcamarcedcamarce Member Posts: 8
    Which year model and the mileage of Matrix you driving??
    '07 Matrix XR 5 speed manual, has about 20K on the clock now.

It also goes to show how great the mileage is on this car even if you abuse it...
  • kerry8kerry8 Member Posts: 2
    Now I'm getting depressed reading about the mileage you are all getting. I first posted because during the winter months (I live in MA and work in NH) I would drop to around 26-28 mpg. Before that and now, the best I'd ever gotten was around 34 mpg. Granted I don't drive highway miles but my commute is straight roads with only 1 light for 16 miles. I average around 50-60 mph. Seems like I should be getting more. I have a 05 AWD wagon. but with gas the way it is I'm thinking about hitching it to a horse.
    Hold it! The AWD rates much lower for mileage. With an AWD (which is also automatic-only), I would not expect myself personally to do better than 30 mpg normally, and probably more like 28 or so.

If you are managing to pull 26-28 normally, then that is probably about all you can expect, given the AWD and the automatic transmission.

And if you look at the other AWD cars available in the market, you will soon discover that you would do even worse with any of them. So cheer up! You are getting decent mileage for an AWD! :-)

BTW, those numbers I have been posting are for a FWD 5-speed manual, the best possible combo for mileage in a Matrix. Don't be disheartened if you have AWD or an automatic and make a few points less.

I used to have a Subaru Impreza hatchback with a manual, and the best I could ever manage in that was maybe 27 mpg for a running average, 30 or so on all-highway trips.

• sharkbait3sharkbait3 Member Posts: 5
    Have to agree there. I have put an cold air intake on mine. Once I start to push past 65 mph mpg starts to take a nose dive. Don't fall for the performance stuff can increase your milage. It does a little i guess. I drive my matrix like i stole it. i am averaging at least 27 mpg a tank. In town I guess about 20 mpg. Under average driving it is about the same as it was before i started changing things out. Intake, exhaust, etc.
  • irishtigeririshtiger Member Posts: 4
    A brilliant website regarding fuel economy and cruise control is http://www.fueleconomy.gov/. When left to our own devices, one tends to either accelerate and decelerate in an attempt to keep in the speed range, Using cruise control on the highway helps you maintain a constant speed and, in most cases, will save gas. The common and correct nostrum is that speeding kills one's gas mileage re:fuel economy, not to mention people at time. Australia has recently run a very effective, and somewhat humourous campaign to keep speeders at bay. Save gas, save lives, and drive oil companies crazy. Check the fuel economy website for tips in saving gas and money.
  • confutatusconfutatus Member Posts: 3
    I posted a while ago about my roughly 20 mpg in my '08 automatic XR during winter. Well, I've been keeping meticulous track and I have a total mpg of only 23 mpg since i got it in December! Even now, with great weather and including a decent mix of city and highway, the BEST tank I have gotten is 26.5 mpg. I know that is decent, but I was expecting at least 30 mpg in the warmer months. I have only about 3100 miles on the car now and when I called the dealer they seemed VERY uninterested in my concerns, though the window estimated 26 city and 31 highway. These recent numbers are even trying to pump gas slower and refilling about 1/2 tank... Any ideas on what i can do? Even in terms of getting the dealer/shop to take any time to look at it (my 6 month oil change coming up soon).
  • sharkbait3sharkbait3 Member Posts: 5
    If the fuel you are using is the ethanol mix garbage. You are not going go get the best mpg or the best power you can when it comes to combustion. I found my matrix ran great on the good old gasoline. When the switch happened here to go to ethanol mix by legislature my mpg was affected by this. I am sure the numbers on the window are not counting for this ethanol mix fuel mileage. I can't find good old gasoline anymore it this state unless I want to fill up with airplane grade fuel.
  • dcamarcedcamarce Member Posts: 8
    Just finished my free full tank of gas from the dealer, I calculated @ 30.2 mpg
    That is 70% highway and 30% city, right now the mileage is 680K on odo
    Will be improved as soon as the break in period been done. not bad for 2870lbs
    vehicle with dual VVT engine!
    If you are refilling at half a tank, that may be part of your problem. When you are only putting in 6 or 7 gallons, your margin of error for calculation (based on when the pump decides it is time to cut off) is very high: a difference of 1/2 gallon will appear to reduce your mpg by several points.

Try not gassing up until the fuel light comes on. Run four or five tanks that way and THEN calculate your running average just for those five tanks. I bet you will see your numbers change quite a bit.