Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback: MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• newbarunewbaru Member Posts: 2
    After 2 tankfulls on my 2008 Legacy the computer shows I am getting 27.1 mpg avg. 2.5 non turbo/automatic trans.
  • radar1radar1 Member Posts: 25
    I have the 08 basic 2.5 auto, just returned from a 1,000 mile trip and was pleasantly surprised to get 28.2 overall, with most of the driving at about 72 MPH. The tank that had a long stretch of 60 MPH driving saw a 30.5 average. I was expecting worse because my Focus 2.3 ZX5 only got 28 on the same trips, and the label says to only expect 26 on the highway.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Cool.

In CR this month they test a Legacy 2.5i and an Accord, the 177hp model.

Surprisingly, the Legacy used a little less gas, saving about $20/year in fuel costs.
  • stantontstantont Member Posts: 148
    I have an '08 OB XT turbo, MT5. We just did the first really long trip after breakin (approx 2500 miles at start). Austin, TX to Raleigh, NC and back, crossed the Blue Ridge mountains several times. Two aboard plus maybe 200 lbs luggage. 75-80 mph on cruise control, winter time, so no a/c. Southern states; no ethanol AFAIK.

TOTAL: 103.0 gallons for 2839 miles equals 27.56 mpg. Wouldn't be surprised to see it creep to 28+mpg by 20k miles.

City driving, even during breakin, has averaged 22-23 mpg, but my "city" includes a fair bit of freeway at 65-70 mph. YMMV.

The MPG indicator is about 10-15 % low; it read 25.2 mpg for the trip. At first I was pretty disappointed in "mileage" until I realized the trip MPG calculator was off. I assume the computer tries to estimate gallons from injector on time and fuel pressure, etc., so I shouldn't be surprised at 12% error. As always, actual fuel consumed and actual miles driven are the only way to get credible numbers; and trying to estimate mileage from 7 or 8 gallons in 150-200 miles is not very accurate either. If the pump shuts off 1/2 gallon earlier or later, you introduce +/- 1-1.5 mpg error.

It seems the new EPA test protocol (18 city, 24 highway) is pretty hostile to the turbo, as my real-world experience is far better than EPA estimate. I'm quite pleased; our '02 Legacy L wagon with standard engine and MT5 got 28.5 -29 on the same trip two years ago; and our 2000 Honda Accord V6 automatic got about the same (but was boring to drive!). The turbo/stick car gives excellent performance with very little fuel penalty unless you really USE the power.

• stantontstantont Member Posts: 148
    BTW, if it seems we have changed cars a lot, that is correct. I bought the Accord V6 hoping to get a successor to my 1990 Taurus SHO. Nope, the Accord was refined but boring. Then I bought the '02 Legacy L wagon used in '04 because I really needed a wagon to carry kayaks (on top) and bicycles (inside). Nice but a bit spartan, so I sold it to a friend at 103,000 miles and bought the '08 OB XT MT5.

WOW! This is the first car since the SHO that makes me smile every time I get in and turn the key. Quiet, smooth, refined, luxurious, quick. Rides so soft you expect it to wallow on turns, but it really corners pretty flat. Plus it goes like stink when you nudge the gas pedal!

27.5 mpg highway ain't too shabby, either, for a car with that much performance. Well done, Subaru!
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    Hah, well, you have done far better than me in the last 12 months... ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • rallyfanrallyfan Member Posts: 36
    I just bought a 08 SE Legacy 2.5 auto. and I am getting 23 miles to the gallon combined. I live in a rural area not a big city. It only has 2k miles on it and I am taking it easy so it will break in nicely.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Just pulled 24mpg over a 1,000 mile trip including city, high speed highway, lots of idling, and some offroading. Not too shaby in my book.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I picked up my Outback used from a friend in March, '03. It had 34,513 on the odometer when I first filled it up. My lifetime mpg today, at 67,564 miles, is 23.08.

I've had three tanks over 30 mpg, and three under 15 mpg, so I figure all of those are aberrations that cancel each other out.

I can see a slight trend for better mpg in the winter, likely because it has a black leather interior and 105°F isn't all that unusual here in Boise in high summer.

Most of those miles are interurban, and I'm a pretty relaxed driver usually, at least pulling away from the light.

Steve, visiting host
  • tswitztswitz Member Posts: 3
    We just picked up our 08' Legacy Sedan SE this Thurs and are thrilled with it thus far! Our first tank of gas yielded 23.7 mpg on mixed city/highway driving - most of what I would call "suburban" driving.
    Congrats.

Mileage should improve as it breaks in.
  • altimatealtimate Member Posts: 74
    First fill up on my 09 Legacy SE yielded 23.5 with 50-50 city/highway mix. The trip computer registered 26.1 for the same period.

It's early and I expect improvement down the road but I'm wondering if the trip computer is generally this overly optimistic or there might be some other factor involved.
  • robsisrobsis Member Posts: 162
    We just bought an 09 Legacy w/std 2.5 engine. Our readout seems about .5 mpg high when I compare it to fill-ups (only a few, thus far...) which seems to be about where most posts (on various forums) that I've seen regarding this matter have been....usually between .5 and 1. Your 2.6 difference seems a little high in comparison to what I have read thus far. I bet it'll be better on fill-up #2.

Robert
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    You can't judge by the first fill-up. You don't know exactly how full the tank was when you picked up the car. Reset the trip meter and take an average of the next three fill-ups and compare to the computer. It should be fairly close, within 1 MPG.
  • kidalikidali Member Posts: 17
    Just purchased a 97 outback cause i thought it ran really well.
    Have filled it up three times now, and have calculated that I am averaging only 12.5 to 13 litres per 100k (that's 18.1 to 18.7 miles per gallon). Seems oftly low, especially when moving from my 87 Camry that was yielding me 29 miles to the gallon, even now at 22 years old).

Anyone suffer poor mileage on these? I know they're all-wheel drive, which consumes more, but this seems lower than normal. Will a full tune-up help? The tires are properly inflated.

Thanks,
    DA
    Toronto, ON
    Tune up will certainly help in many cases...new plugs, wires, air filter, and a new fuel filter just upped my '98 from 19 to 23 overall...

Robert
    What is the mileage on the 1997? Often with high mileage engines, in addition to those things noted above, cleaning out the vacuum system (such as PCV valve and hoses) and replacing oxygen sensors will yield better fuel economy and performance.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    The plugs were changed in january, along with ignition wires... so should still be fine. Only things I had thought of were air filter/ gas filter/ oil change.
    Thanks for the info on vaccuum system and O2 sensors. Will check it out.

On a similar note, my gas gauge is giving severely faulty readings. From a full tank, I'll get 200k (approx 125 miles) and it will register as only a quarter tank left. I go to fill up, expecting a hefty bill, only to get $18 worth.
    Is this my fuel pump? I also get a 'whirring' noise somewhere in the back of the car when accelerating over certain rpms. First I thought it was something to do with the awd system. Now I'm wondering if it's the fuel pump doing strange things.

Any idea what this would cost to repair?
    Hmmm.... that 'whirring,' does it do it whenever you increase the RPM on the engine, or only when actually driving (i.e., car in motion)? If it happens when the car is in motion, I have to wonder if it is a noise from the rear differential rather than the fuel pump.

On my 1996 Outback, the fuel gauge would drop much faster from F to 1/2 than on the second "half" of the gauge. I estimate that a fill up at 1/2 on the gauge would result in about 5.5 gallons, whereas 1/2 to E would result in an additional 8 gallons. This is not as drastic as you state, but it may, in part, be due to tank shape, gauge calibration, or..... ?
    The whirring seems to be when I'm accelerating past 95km/h (about 55mph)
    Actually, it's also at about 45km/h (30mph). I think you're right though. Sounds like something in the drivetrain? Differential?

Mileage isn't exactly horrible, so I'll forgo any work now and will wait till spring.
    I'm now down to 17mpU.S.g (13.8L/100km) at about 80%highway/ 20% city, and I've been ultra careful about fast starts, and sticking around 60mph (100km/h).
    Terrible.
    Tires are balanced and inflated properly.
    Maybe it's the cold weather, but wow, at that mixture of highway/city driving, my old 22 year old junk box of a Camry would yeild me double that mileage. I'm not kidding.
    I know I've moved up to all-wheel drive, and a much heavier car and bigger 4cylinder engine, but I do believe even for the Subaru that something's wrong.
    Wires, plugs etc were replaced a year ago by previous owner.
    Any ideas? What are others getting out of their 97's? Maybe I should just take the thing to a Subaru dealer. I'm scared of getting screwed over in repairs that will get me little gains in mileage.
    Well, assuming no major parasitic losses in the drivetrain (which should be noticeable), you may need to look at your vacuum system. If it is gunked up and airflow is obstructed, your efficiency is going to go way down. The PCV valve may need replacement, or you might need to run a can (or two) of SeaFoam through the engine, drawn directly into the vacuum system. Also, if your oxygen sensors are fouled and not providing accurate feedback to the engine, you will experience reduced efficiency.
    Thanks.
    I guess I'll take it to a subaru dealer. :S
  • jccinohjccinoh Member Posts: 9
    Purchased a 2009 2.5i OB automatic about 1 month ago (510 miles). So far the display is showing 24.3 mpg. The vast majority of that would be considered 'city' driving. Although quite happy with the mileage I would tend to think this will increase slightly once the car is broken in.
    That's good for city driving. I bet you'll break 30 on some trips if you keep the speeds down.
  • jccinohjccinoh Member Posts: 9
    That would be nice! My city driving mileage is now up to 24.9mpg (950 miles)
    Would still like to ask any and all 97 Outback people to track and report on their mileage. I just bought mine used, and I'm still hovering around 13.5L/100km (17.5 mpg(US), 20.9 mpg(IMP) ).
    I understand it's a HEAVY car for a 4cyl. engine, and 12 years old, AND awd, but from the couple reports from others I've seen, my mileage seems poor.
    I've used fuel injector cleaners and have used gold (Shell 91 octane) gas to see if things improved, and they have, as I was near 14L/100k before (16.8 mpg US), but still not good in my estimation. I'm delaying looking at the O2 sensor or PCV valve cause I'm not sure what those repairs would cost.

(Oh. And I would estimate this this is 70% highway and 30% city useage <rarely travelling over 105kph {65mph} ).
    PCV valve replacement is cheap and easy. The part might approach $8, and it takes about 2 minutes to replace. I suspect that your low mileage is primarily related to aging sensors and poor vacuum flow.
  • rfrfrfrf Member Posts: 31
    Considering 09 OB 3.0 - anyone with mpg estimates and thoughts on the power? Thanks.
    Power is excellent...I liked the 3.0 power delivery much better than the turbo....it is smoother and quieter. As to mileage, I have friends getting mid to high teens around town and mid 20's on the hwy. I also like the fact that the '09 says that premium is optional; however, if it is anything like another vehicle I own with premium optional, you will see a 5-10% drop in mileage when you use the regular grade....so check into this if you don't like spending the extra money on the premium gas.
    Thanks xwesx.
    you seem to know your stuff.

You recommend a Subaru dealer, or should any decent mechanic be able to identify and replace whatever is needed?

I'll be taking it in once the weather starts warming up a bit (and my wallet is a little more full :)
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    I test drove a 09 3.0 OB two times, two different cars. First drive was in 40 degree temperature, the second in the 20's. Both times I thought the 3.0 engine was lethargic. It simply runs out of breath above 65 MPH. Around town it's just adequeate.

According to the trip meter, which I reset after a short warm-up, the mileage averaged around 17.5-18 MPG. Both test drives were around 10 miles long, with the Normal (Sport) setting on the SI-Drive. Both test drives were about half highway and half local traffic.

I personally would not recommend the 3.0.
    For this type of work, any good mechanic should be able to assist. If you can find a reliable independent Subaru mechanic, your car will be quite thankful. :)

When considering how much money to throw at this problem, take a look at your driving, estimated fuel economy if running well, and mileage, then compare that to what you currently pay, and consider the difference between the two. Also consider that if the car is running more efficient, the engine will likely last you longer.
    Am in the middle of making purchase decision and you put your finger on one of the remaining issues for me. Have you tried SI drive Intelligent mode?
    Yes and it does fine...not sure about the reply as to the poor aspiration of the 3.0 as I have not experienced that at all. I have test driven both the 08 and 09 3.0 at 5200 ft in cold weather and they wanted to both run strong well into the 90's, when I stopped due to the speed limit on the test road....! the sport mode seemed to bring it on stronger; however, I did not notice a huge difference when I put it in sport-sharp. The Intelligent mode seems the best overall for just plain everyday, which is why I believe that Subie put it there in the first place. The other modes are fun for short periods of time; however, you can just tell that your sucking more petrol.....

HTH

Robert
    Have read through the posts re mpg estimates fro the 3.0 - not great, at lst compared to the Sub reported EPA of 19/26. did u notice if the Intelligent mode helped w/ mpg? I bet the 3.0 rides great.
  • morin2morin2 Member Posts: 399
    Auto trans 2.5 first tank calculated 28.3 mpg (350 mi/12.36 gals) today, with varying speeds for break-in period. Very pleased with this & I expect to do better when temp warms up & its broken in. I'm mostly all highway, rarely touch brakes & coast to stops. Same very gentle driving with previous vehicle (Silverado 5.3 extcab 4x4) got only 16mpg.
    That's pretty sweet, you beat my new Miata (smaller car, smaller engine, two wheels driven). I got 27 on my first tank, about the same on my 2nd.

28+ is sweet given the size of the vehicle. Never mind that it's AWD.
  • thallbergthallberg Member Posts: 18
    I have a 2009 Legacy SE (2.5 engine) and only get 19.5 in town, according to the cars computer.
    I also have a 2003 VDC Outback wagon (3.0 engine) that gets 19/26 dead on.
    Kinda makes me wonder why I didn't go for the 3.0 R.
    I have no complaints about the 2.5, except you can hear the engine a bit more. I just expected better mpg.
    Do you reset the display after filling with gas?
    We have a similar engine in our PZEV Forester, and my wife is getting around 25mpg. Not bad, for an automatic with AWD that size.

She does mixed driving, mostly around town. Our record is 33mpg on the highway but we usually see around 30.

I do reset the trip computer for each tank, actually that's how our Subaru is - each trip computer has it's own average.

My Sienna is different - you have to manually reset the trip computer, and it's just one average.

My Miata doesn't have one, that feature was new for 2009 and I have a 2008 model, so I just divide the miles driven by the actual gallons used.
  • nornetnornet Member Posts: 24
    Just removed the winter tires and have averaged just under 21 mpg since November. This is with an aggressive winter tread and winter blend gas. Not very impressive but you can't be obsessed by mpg.
  • morin2morin2 Member Posts: 399
    You may be driving your new Miata in a bit more spirited way than I have so far driven my Outback. I had to smile when I saw your post because I had narrowed my choice to the outback and miata (my wife has a Forester and my son has my old 94 Legacy). More (any!) twisty roads on my commute and I might have gone Miata. Had I bought a Miata, I would have kept my truck for its utility. I chose to trade in the truck rather than allow it to sit mostly unused in my barn with the poor quality E10 gasoline in its tank. Nothing good happens to vehicles that sit unused. I'm very happy with the new Outback.
    The Miata is my 2nd car, I also have a minivan for family duties.

I love it, but it makes a terribly unpractical "only car". I could never do it if I didn't have the van.
  • bruce_brownbruce_brown Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I have a 1996 Outback wagon with the 2.2l engine, 5-speed transmission, and quickly approaching 200,000 miles. The last 21,000 miles I have averaged 28.2 MPG.

We also have a 1995 Impreza wagon with the 1.8l engine, auto trans, awd and about 185,000 miles. I don't drive it very often so the records aren't as detailed due to my wife and daughter sharing the care. Teenagers never fill the tank, lol. However, when I do drive it on long trips it averages 1-2 MPG less then the bigger Outback.
  • staypuftstaypuft Member Posts: 6
    So far my 09 Legacy SE PZEV 5-spd gets 24 mpg mixed city-freeway to work and 30 mpg on the last 500 mile trip (no mountains) at an average speed of 80.

Very pleased considering my lead foot.
    The 2010 model with the CVT can break 30mpg highway, so kudos for continuous improvement.
  • lgandadlgandad Member Posts: 1
    Hello,do not know if you still own this vehicle,just bought the same one used.My mileage is identical.VERY disappointed.Gave up a car that got 35 mpg hwy.that was very poor in snow and rain.Figured the outback would give up a little less mpg,but never imagined it to be 18 city maybe 22 hwy.Have changed pcv,o2 sens.,mass air flow,complete tune up,No difference.I love the way this car drives,and its reliability but my old Suburban gets 20 mpg hwy.So I"m on the fence about getting rid of the Subaru.Thats the reason for replying to this thread,has any one come up with a solution to this problem?
    If you're talking to me about my 97 Outback Wagon, yes, I still have it a year and a half after purchasing it. Funny, I was just trying to figure this out again, recently.
    I always watch my mileage, and last week gave me one of my worst ever, so I was wondering if something has got worse. (O2 sensor?)

Last week I got 13.5km/100l (if you're in the states, it's less than 17.5 miles to the gallon) but that particular week was nearly ALL city stop-and-go driving.

When I do week's with 80% highway, I nearly always hover around 10l/100k - a lot better (23.5).

The specs for the car new were 21mpg city (I'm getting 17) and 26 hwy (23.5). I realize with age mileage will worsen. Since you've changed all those items with no change in results, maybe you've save my pocket book some trouble.

I still like how it runs, but am having some torque issues. Some days I can press on the gas and have almost NO response, and others, it responds but feels gruff and sluggish. Only on Some days does it feel like I would say 'nimble' or 'more like it should'. Also, I've noticed when the AC runs, I hear a 'switching' noise in my dash - somewhere to the left, when the condenser turns on, and each time it does that, the car's torque responds differently (so in a 20 minute trip, I feel like I'm driving 2 cars every 4 minutes - a slow one, and a normal one). I suspect there's a central computer issue. I don't know if they can just replace a mainboard or something.

As for the mileage, I'm content to deal with it. Even if I did all that work and met the companies claimed specs, I'd only save about 8 litres or 8 dollars a week. It'd take me over a year, I figure, to pay off the labour and parts of having those items replaced.
    Here's a year and a half's worth of almost obsessive observations:

My average week is somewhere around 11l/100k. (about 21.3 mpg).
    I've been vigilant about putting in a good fram air filter.
    I recently decided to try a synthetic oil to help both my gas mileage, and engine knock that I've been getting. It's helped with neither. (Castrol edge).
    On weeks that I put in higher grade gas (91 octane), I get better mileage than weeks where I put in a lower grade (87), but then the trade off is the higher gas price, so there are no savings.

The car seems to like travelling best and runs smoothest at about 95k/hr (about 59 miles an hour). Deviate from this, and it affects mileage.
    Regarding my last comment:

If I usually drive between 105 and 120 (65 - 74mph), I still usually average somewhere between 19 and 21mpg if I'm doing 70 to 80 % highway driving.