Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Insight MPG-Real World Numbers

124»

Comments

• Options
    twartedtwarted Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2010 Insight with 99950 miles with full kit (Nav the works) and extended warranty and all service records and no scratches. I went to Pompano Honda to trade in against an Accord last night.... and Guess what? I discovered the error of my ways.
    Its worth maybe $7,000 after paying $24,500 for it new.
    Had I not listened to the Honda Sales Pitch I would have bought a Toyota Prius which with the same mileage would have been worth a LOT more. Perhaps Consumer reports might like to take a look at depreciation between the two?
    I no longer drive the car in case the battery dies and BTW the fuel consumption has been between 35 and 37.5 MPG. Is it true Honda have been sued in a class action law suite for lies about fuel consumption claims?? Have I a case?
    Better they be sued for a pretend Hybrid system that has a massive loss in value as a result. Any Lawyers reading? - Look at my records if you wish!
    As we say in Ireland it has not got the power to "Pull the socks off of a dead man" and the only redeeming quality is I can drive it in the HOV lane!!!
    Reliability was excellent but for a full assembly replacement of GPS - CD-Radio at 41,000 miles. Service department at Pompano Honda puts my Lexus Department to shame - They are excellent in all ways.
    Silly me for buying one - All you happy owners .... Your time will come! - The car was rushed to the market and "Under Engineered" (Never saw so much painted metal since an Alfa in the 60's!) and you will pay the price in resale value.
  • Options
    I have a 2010 Insight with 99950 miles with full kit (Nav the works) and extended warranty and all service records and no scratches. I went to Pompano Honda to trade in against an Accord last night.... and Guess what? I discovered the error of my ways.
    Had I not listened to the Honda Sales Pitch I would have bought a Toyota Prius which with the same mileage would have been worth a LOT more. Perhaps Consumer reports might like to take a look at depreciation between the two?
    I no longer drive the car in case the battery dies and BTW the fuel consumption has been between 35 and 37.5 MPG. Is it true Honda have been sued in a class action law suite for lies about fuel consumption claims?? Have I a case?
    Better they be sued for a pretend Hybrid system that has a massive loss in value as a result. Any Lawyers reading? - Look at my records if you wish!
    As we say in Ireland it has not got the power to "Pull the socks off of a dead man" and the only redeeming quality is I can drive it in the HOV lane!!!
    Reliability was excellent but for a full assembly replacement of GPS - CD-Radio at 41,000 miles. Service department at Pompano Honda puts my Lexus Department to shame - They are excellent in all ways.
    Silly me for buying one - All you happy owners .... Your time will come! - The car was rushed to the market and "Under Engineered" (Never saw so much painted metal since an Alfa in the 60's!) and you will pay the price in resale value.
  • Options
  • Options
    as2010insightas2010insight Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2010 now with 91K on it, it has returned a lifetime average mileage of 52.4 mpg. I know Pompano Beach and if I drove there all the time I would have averaged well over 55 MPG. I know that because the car has spent most of its life on the roads of Massachusetts, and I typically get over 55 mpg every day running summer gas and in warmer temperatures even though I drive up and down multiple 1000 ft climbs daily (I work at close to sea level and live at 900 ft). By contrast, my home in Pompano is at 8 ft above sea level, and the only hill for miles is a landfill north of town. By the way, I drive on snow tires year round as well (needed this year with over 80 inches of snow).

So the point is Twarted, the driver is a key component and if you are getting 35 MPG I think you are responsible for that. You also seem to have a real agenda slamming Honda with the same cut and paste response to multiple posts on this site. Regarding the value of your car - it appears to be about $10500 to $11000 in Pompano, except that the expected miles should be < 40,000. Everyone reading this post knows the condition and miles on the odometer are the key factors in determining value. Your slanted rant appears not to have considered any of those factors.

My car may not be the most comfortable, but it has performed very well in all conditions, required only routine maintenance consisting of basically oil changes every 11000 miles+, plus a set of tires. This car is utterly dependable and super green - that is what I wanted and that is why I love my Honda.
  • Options
    oliveblissolivebliss Member Posts: 2
    Apart from the resale value, what are your complaints about the Insight? Why did you want to trade it in?
  • Options
    oliveblissolivebliss Member Posts: 2
    I have had my 2010 Insight for 2.5 years and I have always compared the average trip mileage on the display with my calculated actual mileage (trip mileage / gallons of fuel). The actual mileage is ALWAYS 3 miles per gallon less than the display says it is. So, if the display says that my trip average was 40 mpg, I actually got 37mpg. Every time! Has any one else noticed this?
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Got a coupon from pompano Honda a couple years back for a $9.95 oil change/rotation so decided to drive in from Coral Springs to get it done. Was their first customer that morning, got there at 6:45 a m and they did a pretty decent job but tried to get me to purchase every service under the sun which I politely refused...a bit of overkill really. While there, I satin the Insight and thought it was horrible! The crappy dash from the Fit, uncomfortable drivers seat with a headrest canted too far forward and the split view out the back hatch was probably the worst I've ever seen in any vehicle...totally ridiculous! If going for this kind of technology, best to go wit Toyota or Ford as they've got it down pretty well, Honda...well, not as much. The exterior of the Insight isn't too bad but the rest...meh and not something I'd ever spend $ on. Really, besides the Accord, the rest of the Honda lineup is totally forgettable...totally forgettable!

The Sandman :( :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    dnatechdnatech Member Posts: 25
    Yes,
    I do a real mileage calculations with Excel spreadsheet with all my cars and you are correct. The real mpg is lower : I get 56.1 mpg on the display with 13,484 driving miles. My excel gives me the real mileage: 52.16 mpg (with 13,484)
    I have a feeling that the display is helpful at telling you how to drive "ecologically" . I wonder if the Prius gives you also a falsely elevated mpg on the display?
    Note: I get this good mileage but driving very conservatively.
  • Options
    james271james271 Member Posts: 1
    Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine
    2000 Honda Insight

Where can I get more information on this?

I just changed the oil.
    I changed the thermostat. The old one was very stiff.
    I even run with the radiator fan constantly 'ON'.

I await any comments.
  • Options
    brylobrylo Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2013
    About six weeks ago I bought a 2010 Honda Insight EX with 24k miles on it. It is factory certified and I paid 15,000 for it. I also looked at the Prius which I did like. Two reasons stopped me from getting it. The first is that the console runs high between the front seats. I am 6'2" and I hate my right leg being trapped in like that. In the insight my leg can/knee can hang out over the top of the low center console. The second was that for the same money I could only get a high mileage prius. Prius does have better resale...but my choice was based on keeping the car a long time...and a comfortable driving position. Real world mileage I believe is much the same. My "trip B" is at 1700 miles and reads 50.6. Which, like every car I have ever been in is actually 2-3 mpg less when doing the math. If I take back roads to work (23 mile trip) I can break 60 mpg (57 actual)...this is taking it easy with speed limits of 35-55. 50 is about what I can get on expressway...only going speed limits. I am not sure why but it seems people lie about their mpg as much as they do the size of a fish they caught. I go so far as to use the exact same gas pump so I can get as close as possible to a consistent fill...just when trying to figure actual mpg of course. I will take an HONEST 47 mpg any day. All that being said, give me 1.50 a gallon and a truck!
  • Options
    spunjornospunjorno Member Posts: 45
    Good post -- but you don't have to go to the same pump to accurately calculate your gas mileage. Yes, the fill point on a fill-up will be slightly different each time, but this will average out. Your MPH per tank may be off, but your MPH over several tanks will be spot on. And that's the number you should be mostly paying attention to. Besides, the MPH per tank would only be off by 1 MPH at most due to pump fill-up differences.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is interested in talking with someone who bought a hybrid within the past year. If that describes you, please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, July 3, 2013 with the make, model, month of purchase and a few lines about your experience.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    Even though I am posting this after the deadline of July 3rd, I think it's important to share this. I've had my car since November 2011, I purchased it brand new and I am totally pleased with it. I wanted a relatively "cheap" hybrid, that is not expensive as a Prius, and I am totally satisfied. The few maintenance warning I've had are oil change (twice) Low pressure tire (twice) on very cold days (live in R.I) and check gas cap, also twice. I've put on 16,000 miles with no incidents.
    My only concern is the warranty on the IMA battery which is to say the list confusing from state to state. I still don't know if I need to purchase the extended warranty before the 3 year warranty expires.
  • Options
    insight2010insight2010 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a used Honda Insight (2010) about a week ago. The main reason I purchased it was because my wife and I recently moved and I now have a longer commute...hence I wanted better gas mileage. I have been fastidious about trying to keep it "in the green." I don't speed, I take stop/starts slow. I filled up tonight and got 30 mpg! I've been keeping my eye on the "mpg" on the dashboard and no matter how slow/fast I go, it's never gone above 37-38 mpg. I have about a 20 minute commute, in which I would consider suburban/city stop and go...not alot of highway. Even so, what am I doing wrong?
  • Options
    I have a feeling there is something wrong with the car, is the battery actually working?, you may want while driving look at the "charge" of the battery. When going down the hill and not pressing the gas pedal, do you see the battery charging?
    I'd go to a Honda dealer and get it checked for sure. My car is a 2012, so I don't have any experience with a 2010.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    I live in New England.
    I noticed my mileage drops in the winter and climbs in the summer - about 450 miles per tank in winter and almost 500 miles in the summer (never goes to empty tank and get approx. 53 miles using excel spreadsheet over the years)
    I thought that the type of fuel - winter vs. summer mix- caused this , then maybe cold air being heavier caused more drag on the car?.
    I actually think it's the cold air that causes the current on the ("big") battery to slowdown, in other words, just like a regular 12 volt battery works better in summer than in winter, the current slows down in colder temps. so the engine uses more gas to make up the difference.
    Prius owners experience the same thing.
    What do you think?

• Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I think you've got it. Mileage estimates, electric-only ranges and the like are just that, estimates based on testing in ideal conditions. The real world always eats into those numbers, and the real world conditions, like in New England, will vary along with your mileage ;)
  • Options
    I've had my Insight for 5 years and my mileage calculated with Excel is 53.33 MPG. I have never had a car like this, so far no warning at the exception of Low Pressure in Tire of Oil to be changed. Since I drive as if there was snow on the ground, I haven't have a brake maintenance done yet!
    I love my Insight.
  • Options
    saddenjoysaddenjoy Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2019
    I am angry, frustrated and would like some options. I bought a Honda 2019 Insight in August of 2018.
    After the first month I went back to the dealer ship. the car ONLY getS 32 miles to the gallon. on a good day tank it get 33. I was getting 34-36 on my Honda Accord. So their comment on 'it must be your driving' does not play well with me. I live in Cincinnati which is hill after hill. Is this why? Or do I have a lemon. HELP
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited February 2019
    Hmmm...that's doesn't sound right. You should be getting an average of something in the low 40s. I wonder if what's happening is that due to the hills that your gasoline engine is being directly connected to the front wheels by the clutch, rather than acting as it normally does, as a generator to drive an electric motor at the front wheels. Whenever the Insight needs extra power, it will do this---and then you are basically driving a gasoline-powered car. This is how I would approach the question with the dealer---is my car engaging the gasoline engine directly too often, or at the wrong time, or when it shouldn't be?

I could see a scenario with some extremes---if you were climbing hills all the day long, you'd get pretty mediocre MPG. This would be true of just about any car.