Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Insight MPG-Real World Numbers

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
With the price of gas being what it is, your real world mileage is becoming more important than the estimates on the sticker. This is the place to talk about your real world on the road results!

Comments

• billy5billy5 Member Posts: 4
    Hi all; I am new to this forum. Just thought I would report I am very pleased with my 2003 Insight. The car is a pleasure to drive, and I often exceed 1000 miles on just 11 gallons. I have AVERAGED 86.2 mpg over 33,000 miles so far. I am a pilot and verify my numbers using my GPS and saving fuel receipts. Generally, I just put a little extra air in the tires, and slow down slightly. These 2 things contribute greatly to increased mpg in any car.
        Anyway, I also spend alot of time cleaning the car, including the underside. I display it @ car shows on saturdays, and answer lots of questions and meet nice people. With the high % of highway driving I do, AERODYNAMICS and the lean-burn catalyst are the primary reasons for such high mpg, NOT the electic system (IMA).
         I applaud Honda for designing such a wonderful automobile........and shame on our culture & society for believing we need to have 300 horsepower and rush up to a stop light, only to slam on the brakes! We need to learn about momentum, leaving for work early & not hurrying! Billy......
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Billy,
    Welcome to the forum. I'm with you on all the extra horsepower some feel they need. I'd be tickled if I could get half your mileage with my Suburban ;-)
    Gary
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Here is the mileage test on the Insight. It is obvious that AC is a real challenge to those trying to get the maximum gas

http://avt.inel.gov/hifart.html
  • currijrcurrijr Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am new to the group, my name is James R. Currier. I was told of a person in Woodstock, Ct who has come up with a 5th wheel modification for the Honda Insight that claims an mpg increase to >110 mpg. Has anyone heard or read about this and if so please give me his name and or email address. Thanks for listening
  • msirachmsirach Member Posts: 1
    You can find all of the info on his website at:
    link title
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    Mr Host, you really need to find a way of differentiating Old Insight from New Insight in the thread titles.Those two cars are unrelated.No? :confuse:
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    any hypermilers with the new insight ?
    how about leadfoots who used to drive TDIs ?
    "what's the mpg, kenneth?"
  • rookie60rookie60 Member Posts: 39
    Bought Insight June 19, 2009. Have 8000+ miles.
    Previous worst mileage: 41mpg. Best mileage: 50mpg. Now temps in Minnesota are 10-20 degrees. Mileage has now dropped to 32-35. Is the electrical overloaded? Is the CVT sluggish in cold weather? 10mpg drop is significant with no driving style changes. ?????
  • sobsbocsobsboc Member Posts: 4
    "Now temps in Minnesota are 10-20 degrees. Mileage has now dropped to 32-35."

I can't figure this out either but it seems to be normal for Toyota Prius to lose MPG's in cold weather. It seems a larger percent drop with a hybrid than with a normal car. I had a 2007 Dodge Caliber before gas skyrocketed, went from 30mpg in summer to 23 in winter. Currently have a 2002 Prius which I bought seeing no end to skyrocketing gas. (I HATE it, the brakes are way too touchy for my big feet!) which gets normally around 47mpg but with recent subzero temps we barely manage 39mpg, and boy does the gas guage seem to go down fast!

I'm looking for real mpg numbers for the NEW Insight as a possible replacement for my loathesome 1st generation Prius. Dont get me wrong I LOVE getting close to 50mpg and could never go back to a "normal" car and guzzling 30mpg.
  • rkriegerrkrieger Member Posts: 3
    I have had my new 2010 Insight for about a month now... weather here in NY has just gotten cold in the last week or so. Without changing my driving style too much I was getting about 48mpg. In this cold it's down to about 42, but I"m running the heater and defrost a bit. My daily commute is only about 20 miles on streets, cant wait for the weather to clear and take it out for a weekend road trip. Will post more numbers if they change.

And the car it replaced was a 17 year old Toyota Paseo that I was getting about 25 mpg w/ so that tells you a bit about my driving style.
  • cjl49cjl49 Member Posts: 4
    Part of the reduction in mileage in cold weather arises simply from temperature-dependence of air density. A drop of about 50-70 degrees is about a 15-20% change in temperature on the Kelvin scale, which would correlate with about a 15-20% increase in density of gas molecules per unit volume. This is not inconsequential, but basically acts similarly to an increase overall wind resistance.
    Slip behind a truck traveling 60 mph and one's Insight mpg's can easily increase by 10-20%.

I have a 2004 Insight which suffers similar loses in mileage with temperature. With a car averaging 56 mpg in the summer, a drop to ~48 seems a big concern. However, for those driving a car averaging 20 mpg, a drop to 18.x is hardly noticeable.
    So my 32MPG car getting 27.8 MPG during the winter would be expected?
    Yep, sounds pretty normal
  • mobrydmobryd Member Posts: 1
    I just bought the 2010 insight. I live in jersey Its been very cold this whole week and i only have 170 miles on the car, i have been driving with the econ mode on and have been keeping the dash light green with the exceptions of a no more than a couple of seconds. i have really watched my driving to make sure i follow the best practices like following speed limits etc. My highest average mpg guage reading has been 33.6. i am reading people saying they are getting over avrage 40 miles to the gallon. am i reading the wrong gauge. can you help me better understand how to read the instrument panel and get the best use out of my car.
  • jfersheejfershee Member Posts: 6
    A drop of 10% to 20% mpg, depending on how cold it is, is not uncommon in any vehicle. Sometimes people complain about that drop in hybrids, but of course, it happens in all gasoline powered vehicles. So, at least the drop is from the 40s, not the 20s.
  • jjbearjjbear Member Posts: 3
    Anyone know a source for a sunroof for a 2010 EX w/out Nav???
    We just a couple of weeks bought a used(2007)Prius, and our car computer generated MPG is only 36,but definitely better on the highway rather than town.It will be intersting to see what it is when I fill up and get a real reading.I have a feeling it will be less.
  • formermermaidformermermaid Member Posts: 1
    We bought a new 2010 Insight on February 27. I have to say I am disappointed with it. I am still on the first tank of gas, but my average MPG is only 28.5 although the EPA sticker said 40 in town and 43 on the highway! We have driven 187 miles since picking it up, mostly but not entirely in stop and start traffic. I have been very careful to drive only in ECO mode, I don't turn the heat on right away and generally try to keep it "in the green" as much as possible. Any thoughts as to why there is such a big discrepancy between the advertised mileage and my real world results so far? I feel like I compromised on quite a few things I would normally want in a new car in order to get the higher MPG, but now I don't even have that. Thanks in advance for any tips on how to achieve the kind of mileage they claim it gets.
  • jjbearjjbear Member Posts: 3
    I bought an EX the first week of the year and drive it 170 miles a day back and forth to work. Driving at 70mph I'm getting 41-43mpg consistently every day. The "trees" are growing, and it is not really babied. ECO has never been off. Cruise is usually on.
    Have the dealer check it if it doesn't improve!!
  • rkriegerrkrieger Member Posts: 3
    There is a break-in period... some say about 1500 miles.. you should see some improvement as the weather warms up as well. Try to take it out on a highway once in a while and see what happens.
  • rookie60rookie60 Member Posts: 39
    187 miles is not exactly a testimonial. Give it a chance. I bought my Insight in June 2009. I have 12,000 miles on it. I am getting 44-46 mpg in combined driving. If I am in mostly city driving it drops to 39-40. I expect better mileage this summer. Here in Minnesota, the cold light stays on for a while on every short trip. With the car broken in and warmer weather, I hope I can touch 50mpg occasionally again. I did it twice last summer.
    Sounds pretty good to me.My last fill up on my 2007 Prius of 322 miles combined,more highway than city,was only 35.9.The computer said 42.2,but I don't trust that too much.
  • as2010insightas2010insight Member Posts: 7
    Hope your MPG has improved now, high mileage is as much about the driver as it is about the car - we have both 2008 Camry and 2010 Insight hybrids. When first driving my Insight as an experienced hybrid driver I typically got around 45 MPG avg, but after a year with it, over the last 6000 miles my avg is up to 55.2 MPG. That includes a full mix of rural, highway, and urban driving (including many trips to downtown Boston). I often get well over 60MPG during my commute to work through the hills of central MA, I got 67mpg on the way to work today.
  • climatechangerclimatechanger Member Posts: 1
    Just gave my new Insight it's first fill-up.....9 gallons even on 485 miles. That's 53.9 mpg! I am very pleased. I kept the car on econ the whole time and watched my iP's carefully. It's like my new hobby - really fun to see how much gasoline I can save. My trade-in was a 2006 Nissan Titan which got around 16 mpg, so the Insight is a welcome change. :)
  • carchielcarchiel Member Posts: 22
    I recently bought a 2010 Insight. I've been learning how to drive more efficiently, and after two months I am up to 46 mpg, and still climbing. I just "discovered" the usefulness of the moving mpg bar, and realize I can probably be getting well above 50.
    So, my question, given that the Prius costs about $3,700 less (in the real world with incentives), why isn't the Insight way more popular? And why doesn't Honda push the competition way harder?
    Just to correct my last note: Given that the Prius costs $3,700 MORE than the comparable Insight, not less. I get that the Prius's gas mileage is really good, and that some people find the Insight's cargo space a little more limited, but are there really that many people with $3,700 to throw around?? The Insight strikes me as a fabulous car that's far more affordable...
    Updating my last posts, I have had the 2010 Honda Insight for about two months now, and my mileage per gallon is consistently 52 to 54 when driving anything more than 1 mile or so. I wonder what the real-world Prius numbers are, and why the EPA rates the Insight at 40/43. While I've learned to accelerate and brake gradually, I'm not otherwise doing anything differently from the way I have always driven.
    do you see the ~52 mpg if you calculate "miles-driven / gallons-refueled" ?
    To be precise, the last time I refueled I got 47 mpg when I divided the mileage by the gallons. But that was before I kind of "discovered" the importance of that moving mpg horizontal bar -- the one that shows your exact mpg at that moment the way you're driving. Ever since then, the computer for my most recent trip has increased, from about 47 earlier to the range of 52 or 54. So I'm sure those numbers are pretty close to reality; will know for sure when I refuel next, though that won't be til the end of the week, I would guess.
    I'm kind of hoping that other Insight drivers will have additional tips for managing fuel efficiency. So far, watching that bar and the green speedometer seem to have me in a very efficient range, which is pretty cool. I'm actually hoping to go higher, so I would be interested in any tricks of more experienced Insight drivers.
    I've posted a couple of times recently, and just noticed your post. As a new Insight driver, I am up to around 52 mpg or so and fine this to be a really fun real-world game. But 55, 60, 67 are numbers I haven't achieved yet. If you're still following this forum, how do you do this? I am careful about using the ECON button and keeping speedometer green, and following the horizontal mpg bar. What other techniques are there? (Is it maybe that I haven't yet done a lot of highway driving? Am doing mostly suburban distances of 10-15 miles, with several lights spaced maybe one-third mile apart or so.) I really want to feel that the investment in the Insight is paying off. Actually, I already do, but would like to achieve this more so. Thanks!
    edited September 2010
    cool. i have an 06 VW TDI now and may have to challenge you to a "pinks" hypermile contest with you, carchief - i can get 50 mpg if i am super careful & shifting to tall-gear absurdly early, and drive 20 mph slower than the usual ~80 mph interstate traffic here.

is there a way to disable all the Honda Insight dashboard instant-mpg info?
    I drove prius once and found the pac-man "fruit" energy-units going across the screen to be fun, superfluous, and hazardous by attracting attention from the driver.
    I'm not sure I totally follow your point. The bottom line is that I get 52 mpg and up in normal driving, not by doing anything weird. I do have the ECON button on and I do pay attention to the mpg bar, but I find that fun and I'm driving safely. I haven't gone 80 with the Insight, yet, but I did go up to about 75 on a trip in which I got 47 mpg measured by [distance divided by gallons filled up]. And that was before I even understood what that horizontal mpg bar meant. And yes, I had the air conditioning on for most of it.
    I'd totally be interested in what other Insight (or Prius or Ford Fiesta or Civic Hybrid or *any* hybrid) drivers are getting in the real world.
    edited September 2010
    sounds like you might get 52 mpg on your next tank, carchiel! Please do report the tank-to-tank mpg. mpg should increase as motor breaks-in too - up to 10k miles or so.

Pal of mine with an early Civic Hybrid gets a constant 38 mpg on his 80 mph highway 680 california commute.

Ford fiesta has a hybrid model? Cool. The new fiesta is quite interesting to me, even without hybrid option.
    Hi, just following up about mileage with my two-month-old 2010 Insight. I filled up the tank today (after two weeks) and got an average of 48.1, which included several very local stop-and-go trips of roughly 35 to 39 mpg. So I think those measures on other trips of 52 to 54 are very realistic, and even modest. Today I drove about 15 miles to meet a friend to go running and got 59.7 (by computer measure) on that trip, which was mostly about 45 miles per hour with stoplights maybe every one-third mile. I hope to achieve averages of upwards of 50 mpg when I take it on longer drives more consistently. It's definitely pretty fun, and as one other person wrote, it's totally my new hobby!
    I completely get a kick out of the fact that the Prius is rated, I believe, 46/51 and I'm doing easily that while hardly having taken the Insight on the highway -- and having paid $3,700 less. The one long highway trip I got 47 mpg, but that was before I learned about the horizontal bar that assesses current mpg.
    Yes, I'll let you know. Going to the gas station has never been this entertaining!
    One more bit of information: I drove downtown and back yesterday (I live in the Chicago suburbs), and got 52.1 mpg average on the computer, and drove much of it around 73 mph or so. So I'm definitely thinking that the 50s will be a very realistic mpg average, as I and the engine get broken in. I'm actually hoping to attain the high 50s regularly, though maybe that's too ambitious. Will keep you posted. As I said, it would be cool if a Prius owner wrote in, too. I would be interested to know what they typically get in the real world.
    Tom
  • spunjornospunjorno Member Posts: 45
    Here are my real world numbers from actual calculation (miles driven / gallons refilled). In August I had four fill ups that averaged 56.5 MPG with my highest tank being 57.5 MPG (my best ever). Now I should mention that some of reasons for the numbers being what they are are due to some techniques I've discovered, but many are simply due to situation. I'll explain.

Situation - I drive almost exclusively highway for long trips (26 miles each way to work; 55 miles each way to the shore on weekends). To work, I only encounter 8 lights spaced far apart, and I don't usually hit them all. I rarely do short trips or city driving. I drive in southern NJ which is very flat. The MPG numbers I've shown are for the hottest month of the year. September, having somewhat cooler weather, had 4 tanks averaging 54.0 MPG. The hotter the weather the better your milage regardless of the make or model of the car or whether or not its a hybrid - but usuall hybrid owners are the only ones paying attention enough to notice.

I bought the car last April and have over 12K miles on it now, and my life time average is around 52 MPG. Its been increasing due to some "tricks" I've found, some driving style changes, the warmer weather during summer, and having gone through the break-in period of the car being new.

I'm out of time right now but will post periodically for some of the tricks I've found. Stay tuned.
    I promised to share some tricks I've found. I will do this over several posts. Some of what I will share will be specific to the Insight, and other techniques will work universally.

The first one I will share is specific to the Insight. Some of you have already mentioned that you've found the display in the center window of the dash for the "instantaneous" milage. This is key and is needed for the first trick. For those not familiar with it - find it. It can be found by scrolling through the displays using the buttons on your steering wheel. It is a segmented horizontal bar graph that displays what milage you are getting a that second. It starts at the number 0 has a 50 in the middle and a 100 at the far rignt side. Each segment of the bar represents another 5 MPGs. Get this on the display every time you drive (you have to manually bring it up again every time you start the car). Look at this display often as you drive - it will tell you alot about how economically you are driving. Ignore the stupid speedometer background changing color - it doesn't tell you nearly as much. Above the bar graph is a large number that is the average of the MPGs you've been getting since you last reset your trip odometer. Although that's a nice thing to know, you really want to concentrate on the bar graph for the instantaneous number. When you're starting from a stop, this graph will be about two or three segments (10 or 15 MPGs). When you are coasting it can easily be all segments full (100 MPGs). Try to keep it over 60 MPGs most of the time. Experiment with what it takes to get there.

Now that you've found the display, we can discuss the first trick I've found when using this display. But I have to go right now, so I will pick this up in my next post. Sorry.
    Spunjorno,
    That's like the end-of-year cliffhanger for a tv series!
    I'm totally interested in the tricks you've found. My new Insight now is a little more than three months old. I'm getting typically 48-49 mpg overall for every tank. On highways it's more like 52-53 per trip, and on roads where I go about 45 with few stops, I average 54 and even up to 60 and more. But the lower tank average is because of doing many one-mile trips with frequent stops. Anyway, I am totally interested in any tricks for getting the overall average up into the 50s on a regular basis -- especially highways.
    Thanks,
    Tom
    Sorry for the cliffhanger, but there's too much to put all in one post. Okay, so you have your instantaneous mileage display showing. Now remember that it exaggerates a little from real calculated millage (not just on Hondas - it seems they all do it). In fact, the better your real millage is the more it will exaggerate. On my very first tank when the car was new I got 49 MPG (real world) and the display showed 52 MPG for the number synched with trip odometer 'A' (I reset it with every fill up). But when I improved to 57.5 MPG, the display showed 64 MPG. The error increased in both number of MPGs as well as percentage of error. All of the different millage displays will do this. So use your dash info only as a relative guide to see if you are improving millage compared to what it used to be.

So now when you are cruising on the highway and just maintaining speed with constant pressure on the gas pedal on flat level ground, look at the instantaneous display. It will be...whatever... say 50 MPG. Here's what you do (and I found this by accident -- maybe others have found it too.) If you release your foot off the pedal and momentarily coast (for, say, one second), you will see the instantaneous display climbs to full (100 MPG). You don't have to wait for it to get to 100. But as it starts to climb gently reapply pressure to the gas pedal. Don't press as hard as you had been pressing. Just ease in enough to maintain speed. You'll now find that you don't have to press as hard to keep the same speed. And the instantaneous millage display will settle in at a higher value (say, 60 or 70, or sometimes higher). It might not always happen on the first try. Do it again. It won't happen easily when the car is cold. Or even when warm but you haven't been driving long enough that the engine has reached it's most efficient temperature. On a slight incline, it is harder yet to do. But keep trying 'till you get it. Once you get it to stay higher, keep checking on it periodically. Road conditions (slight inclines, bumps, curves, speed changes due to traffic) will cause it to drop back to a lower value. So do it again to get it back higher again.

Why does it work? I think it has to do with the Constant Velocity Transmission. Perhaps it works on all CVT cars, but I don't know since this is the first CVT I've ever driven. My theory is that by letting off the gas, you coax the transmission into a higher "gear" for lack of better word. Even though the car tells you that it has 7 gears (found when playing with the paddle shifter), it really has lots of gears in between. It's more like a tapered funnel allowing for infinite gears. So even though you may be in 7th gear when cruising, you may be in a low 7th. (7th is really a range of available gear ratios). By letting off the gas momentarily, the car's computer realizes that it doesn't need to worry about brisk acceleration. So it slides up to a higher gear ratio within the range of 7th gear. If you reapply the gas too quickly or too hard, the transmission will think you may want more performance and so it will go right back down to the old spot on the funnel. But done right, it coaxes the transmission into a less performance but more economically efficient gear ratio. At least that's one possible explanation for why it works, but I could be completely full of it. Maybe it has more to do with fuel injection - but I'm sticking to my story 'cause it makes sense to me.

Now when you do this, with time you'll be able to hear and feel a difference. The engine seems to sound and feel like its running slower (lending credence to my gear ratio theory). Try it at all speeds. If you can boost the instantaneous millage display one or two bars up further than it would have been, you've gained 5 or 10 MPG for that moment. And since the overall gas millage during a tank of gas is the average of all the instantaneous measurements, the longer you keep it up the better your tank millage will be.

Try it if you haven't already found this on your own, and post back to let me know if this was helpful. Next time I'll reveal another twist on the same theme. (There's that cliff hanger again.)
  • tdinsighttdinsight Member Posts: 4
    I have both current TDI sportwagon 6 spd manual and new insight for my wife. We came home through rural and city driving from the same location a few days ago and were each driving the others car. She mentioned that she got 40.8 mpg from the Jetta so I checked and had gotten 42 and change from the insight, both based on the trip computer. I tried comparing the 2 over same routes by driving Insight on courses I already knew TDI numbers for like work and back etc. On the freeway the Sportwagon could be babied into about 55mpg on a 30 mile loop that I had previously logged so I drove it in the Insight and got 47 mpg. To be fair the Insight still has less than 1000 miles on odometer and TDI numbers were during the summer while the Insight was tested in 37 degree denser air. Not putting much effort into maxing mileage the TDI will read about 51 mpg on the freeway and I have checked, the computer is about 2 mpg optimistic..

To work and back (13 miles) TDI gives me 34-41 mpg depending on how the traffic and lights hit you. The Insight got 52 mpg, again in cold weather but unusual good luck hitting the lights and little traffic. Still I was impressed and don't think the TDI could hope to match it. I saw a "pinks" competition of a TDI with an insight suggested in one of the prior messages. For the TDI to have a chance it better be on the open road! That said, the TDI does have more power and accelerates quicker, weighs 550# more, rides a little smother and quieter, has a better rear seat and twice the cargo volume, a super sunroof and roof rack, and that manual shift that I find so sweet. My continued affection for it is quite secure.
    Many thanks for that tip, and I will look forward to the next twist.
    I'm convinced the Insight ought to be rated higher by the EPA. If these tips are very usable by the average driver, and if these immediate-feedback mechanisms are almost hard to avoid, it seems to me the EPA testers ought to use these mechanisms when they test the Insight. This makes me believe the Insight mpg rating ought to be roughly equivalent to that of the Prius. Of course, I imagine the Prius will soon have such tools if it doesn't already.
    I also find it disappointing that Honda seems to have essentially abandoned marketing the Insight. Personally, I'm convinced it's a great car. I consciously chose it over the Fit and Prius (one for appearance/mileage reasons, one for cost reasons) and it seems to me that Honda ought to capitalize on these clear advantages.
    My next tip is to take what was discussed in my last two posts (#s 38 & 40) and apply it to acceleration.

When you start off from a stop light and accelerate to your final speed, you'll notice on your instantaneous gas milage display that you only have two or three bars (10 or 15 MPG at that moment). It makes sense to be this low because you are doing a lot of work to accelerate a heavy hunk of metal. It will stay that way until you approach your final speed and relax the gas pedal. So perhaps that's maybe, 15 or 20 seconds of really low gas milage that will get averaged into your total MPG number. What if you could increase the poor milage for at least part of your acceleration time, that way it would cause less of a toll on your overall milage. Here's how.

Use the same technique I've previously discussed where as you let up on the gas pedal momentarily to coax the CVT transmission into a higher gear ratio, and then gently reapply. Repeat this every 5 seconds or so while accelerating. On the first lift and reapplication, you'll notice that instead of only two or three bars, you'll now have three or four bars. The next time you do it (five seconds later) you'll have maybe five or six bars, and so on. You will allow the instanteneous milage to creep up from the basement during the acceleration period. It will take less of a toll on your overall milage.

There's more tips to follow. Stay tuned.
    Great, I am totally interested. Thank you for posting these.
    It would be nice to know what "instantaneous" really means in terms of sorting out what the readings are really telling you. It is likely a time-averaged reading that is over a period longer than some of the manipulations being done to affect that reading.
    You're probably right -- I am no engineer or car expert at all. Have you driven an Insight? The instantaneous mileage graph we're talking about is a horizontal white bar that gets longer as your mpg gets better. And it does seem to react almost instantaneously to accelerating or easing off the accelerator. So these tips (of easing off accelerator periodically while maintaining speed) do in fact immediately affect what the graph shows your current mpg to be.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I think it has to do with the Constant Velocity Transmission."

CVT = Continuously Variable Transmission
    CVT - ahh, yes. Good catch. Thanks for the correction.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    edited November 2010
    Letting up on the gas momentarily when accelerating with an automatic or CVT will cause it to "upshift" to a higher gear or band for the CVT. I had a Ford Freestyle with CVT and currently own a Prius, as well as a Honda Fit with an automatic transmission. For all three, it's a good idea when accelerating from a stop to let off the gas slightly and not just hold it down until you reach your desired speed.

BTW...I bought a used '07 Prius and I average 50mpg (highway/city and everything in between). For me I'd rather have a used Prius than a new Insight mostly because the Insight was too small inside for passengers & cargo. My Fit averages in the mid to upper 30s MPG and has even more cargo space.

But I think the Insight would be great for those who don't need a lot of back seat or trunk space.

As far as the VW TDI. For me the problem with diesels in this country is that the cost of diesel fuel makes the cost per mile to drive a diesel too low in comparison to a hybrid. If diesel cost the same as 87 octane, then I'd consider them.
    The bar graph we are talking about is really instantaneous. We know this because it swings wildly from 0 to 100 in less than a second, depending upon what you're doing. If it were a time-averaged reading, it wouldn't be able to change that far that quickly. "Averaging" would tend to mute wild swings. This particular bar graph is only concerned with the "right now", with no memory of what happened in the past or prediction about the future.

What this is good for, is to show you what you're overall milage *would* be if you could continue to keep the bar graph at that number for an extended period of time. And it can teach you how and what driving styles or road conditions affect your milage, and by how much. For instance, if all I did all day was accelerate, the graph shows me that my overall milage would be about 15 MPG. But if all I did was coast, my milage would be 100 MPG (or higher - the display can only go up to 100 though). And because I know that the overall milage for a tank of gas is the average of all of the instanteneous readings during that tank, I can see and try to avoid the things that make it go lower. The other displays are tougher to interperet because if you get a lower number you might not know what caused it. Whereas the instantaneous graph gives you immediate feedback and shows the severity of the penalty or reward (unlike the green/blue dash color change, which may also be instantaneous, but doesn't show severity very well.)

Don't be confused by the large numerical display above the bar graph. THAT is not instantaneous - it is an average since you last reset your trip odometer. As such, it is not related to the bar graph. It just happens to be on the same display screen.

I'll try to get to my next tip next time...
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Letting up on the gas momentarily when accelerating with an automatic or CVT will cause it to "upshift" to a higher gear or band for the CVT. I had a Ford Freestyle with CVT and currently own a Prius, as well as a Honda Fit with an automatic transmission. For all three, it's a good idea when accelerating from a stop to let off the gas slightly and not just hold it down until you reach your desired speed. "

This technique is know as the "Fake Shift", and I used it on my 2006 Freestyle and current 2008 FEH.