Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid

124»

Comments

• aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    if GM gets the Volt to market it will be a small feather in their cap.
    the cost and complexity just isn't going to allow them to put one in every neighborhood.

It would be good PR, but little more imo
  • pawntanpawntan Member Posts: 1
    Right now the malibu hybrid only turn off the engine when we hit the brake, and the gear is in 'D' (drive). I would love for the engine to turn off also when the gear is in park and neutral. Is there a way where we can reprogram the computer to turn off the engine when in park and neutral ? I wonder why GM does not design it that way. It would seem logical to turn off the engine when the car is not moving no matter what.
    After all it is easy enough to reprogram the computer to do that.
    anyone know?
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    From Green Car Congress:

"August sales of the Malibu with GHS reached 388 units in the month, for 2.5% of all Malibu sales.

So with almost 16K Malibus sold in August, and August hybrids were 2.5 % of total sales, I guess you can estimate that they have sold about 400 Malibu hybrids per month this year.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    I gotta tell ya, I think the EPA estimates on the Malibu Hybrid stink! 32hwy and 24city? Common, that's barely better then the non-hybrid Malibu, plus, it has less power!! That's terrible! It should AT LEAST get 30mpg CITY!

Question to GM. Why would I pay thousands more for a Malibu Hybrid when the non hybrid get's almost the SAME mpg and has a bit more power??
    you shouldn't pay a penny more imo

you're getting less power and something new from GM which can be scary

The Malibu Hybrid isn't much more than a feeble attempt to say "we're green too!"
  • robrwa123robrwa123 Member Posts: 46
    Isn't the next generation of Malibu Hybrid (2010) going to be a 2nd generation, full-hybrid system???
  • scottlscottl Member Posts: 109
    I drove past a Chevy dealer today and stopped in, because they had a line of Malibu Hybrids and I was curious what the mileage sticker said. To my surprise, every Malibu Hybrid (they had '08s and '09s) had the standard Maroney sticker removed, and it was replaced by a reformatted one the dealer had cooked up, that EXCLUDED the gas mileage information. Very odd, I thought. I noticed that the '09 had uglier wheels, and the sticker price was TWENTY FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS higher than the '08.

I went over to the other part of the lot where the regular Malibus were, and I noticed the '09 4 cylinder models were listed as 22 City and 33 Highway if they had the six speed automatic. After I got home an looked up the Malibu MPG ratings I realized what was happening. The dealer had removed the normal stickers from the hybrids, because they were embarrassed that the NON-hybrid '09 model got better highway mileage than the '08 hybrid, and only 2 mpg worse in the city. How are they going to get the hybrid price premium if that is the case?

I think this is a microcosm of GM's problems. They don't have a true hybrid. Their lots are stuffed with prior year units of almost all models, so they want to dump those, which is killing their '09 sales. And in the midst of all this, they have jacked their sticker prices on the '09's. They can put whatever sticker price they want on their vehicles, the problem is that they have to compete with Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, Nissan, Ford, Chrysler, Subaru, VW and Kia, GM used to set the market, and they act like they still do. I have news for you, Mr. Wagoner, you are now a minor player in the auto market, and you have to compete or die. I don't want to see GM go under. I have owned eight GM vehicles, and I think they sometimes do things right. But I have also owned Ford, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Subaru and Toyota, and I won't buy crap, and I won't buy a vehicle from a crooked dealer. Trying to obfuscate reality to push last year's junk off the lot isn't straight
    dealing.

The Malibu hybrid is an embarrassment that only exists so that GM can say it has a 'hybrid'. GM needs to dump this immediately, and focus on selling the 4 cylinder 6-speed models to people who want MPG over power. The Malibu is a good car, don't stain its reputation just so that you can say you sell 'hybrids'.

BTW, this dealer also sells Honda, and the dealer is obviously favoring Honda over Chevy. They have cut way back on their Chevy units, and most are now white pickups to sell to the trades. I didn't see a single Impala, only one Corvette, and only one of those white elephants known as the Traverse. It is clear the dealer is pushing Hondas. If I were Chevy, I'd yank the franchise and give it to a dealer that cares, and doesn't remove the FEDERALLY MANDATED sticker to try to hide the shortcomings.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Does Waggoner's choice of a Malibu hybrid to make the trek to DC have any significant impact on sales of the vehicle down the road?
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    It can't hurt sales. It is proof the car will run from Detroit to DC. :shades:

Will it make it on one tank of gas would be my question???
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It's about 524 miles from Detroit to DC and on the specs page here they show a range of 512 highway so he'd need to hit a Stuckey's somewhere along the way! :P
This discussion has been closed.