Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

M35/M45 Wish List

patpat Member Posts: 10,421
edited May 2014 in INFINITI
What new features do you want to see in either of these vehicles?

Comments

• Options
    mwgmwg Member Posts: 28
    Does anyone know when and if new features such as daytime running lights,automatic door locks, and improved headlights will be introduced? Does it pay to wait a few months?
  • Options
    hawk1eyehawk1eye Member Posts: 61
    I don't know what improvements are going to be make, however, if you don't need to buy now and if you don't mind paying a bit more then I would wait. You get an improved vehicle in ways that we may never know and likely a few things that will enhance your driving pleasure that you will know about. Obviously, you will be driving the "new" M and that should count for something as well. I'm jealous, since I have to wait one more year until my lease is up. Then I'll be in the market again. Good luck! Hawk
  • Options
    pete_l_ppete_l_p Member Posts: 322
    I've heard no word on updates to the features you mention.

Here are some things that I HAVE heard spoken about:

1- iPod interface beyond aux input. (Announced by infiniti as coming soon, no word on which models or when, but likely on the next M)

2- XM's integrated NAV Traffic, enabling the NAV to get live traffic updates and route accordingly. (Announced by infiniti as coming soon, no word on which models or when, but likely on the next M)

3- More Front Passenger seat adjustents (no announcements, but I've heard from my dealer that there have been a lot of requests for it, so it's possible)

Secondly, the 2007 M may not be out till Dec or Jan. I don't know when it's coming, but you can't assume that it will be out early as some new models are.

Lastly, The headlights are easily adjustable, right now, to provide excellent range and vision. (Their only problem is that they come from the factory with the lows adjusted for a fairly short range.) So that should not be an issue. Search here for headlight adjustment.

Pete
  • Options
    dubbdubb Member Posts: 20
    By the way,

Sirrius Radio just released a Traffic feature on their Nav receiver but the ONLY receiver that Sirrius is using this with is the "Alpine". I contacted my Infiniti dealer who hasn't reached me back yet about either hardware or software upgrades. ARE THERE ANY ? WOULD IT BE AN EASY FIX or would it be quite complicated to go from one Nav receiver to another inside the M ? (I currently use Sirrius).

(Second by the way, my headlight are great. I saw the adjustment advice (very helpful) but the headlights seem fine to me, especially when used with foglights. It seems of course that Infiniti designed these lights so that they wouldn't blast people's eyes out in oncoming lanes at night. A welcome consideration for Xenon High Intensity headlights. My car was manufactured in October 2005; perhaps this was more of an issue in earlier-made versions (?)).

I know that this query of mine is not much of a response to MWG, but saw your answer and had these thoughts.

Thanks.

- Kai
    M35x
  • Options
    jshattnerjshattner Member Posts: 32
    As mentioned already, the headlights can be fixed with an adjustment. Mine were delivered fine, and the range is at least as good as the Xeons on my 2003 E500. Running lights should be an easy mod as here in Canada they are already on the car (parking lamps and rears stay on). And for door locks, ther's a module available from KP technologies (http://kptechnologies.com/) that'll do this for not too many bucks (not my cup of tea, but to each his own). So all in all, if that's all you're waiting for, go get a deal on an '06. It's a great car, and would be even greater with a 6-speed and some minor Nav / Audio enhancements.
  • Options
    On Sat Radio and Traffic

- According to infiniti and XM press releases, Infiniti/Nissan will support traffic and other satellite based data services exclusively from XM. SO I don't believe they'll be supporting Sirius NAV Traffic.

- My guess is that, more likely than not, when the product gets here they will not offer an upgrade supporting Live Nav Traffic for ANY existing M owners. More would be required than just swapping out a receiver. I'd love to be wrong on that, but this is my guess, based on past Infiniti experience.

- As for switching receivers from XM to Sirius (or vice versa), or just updating your sat receiver with the same brand: Those things ARE doable.

Pete
  • Options
    blov8rblov8r Member Posts: 567
    There is no question a few little "tweaks" will show up in the '07 model, but of all the little silly annoyances that the car has the only one I'd go out of my way to wait and pay a few extra bucks for a decent passenger seat. The rest are nothing more than nuisance issues ... and although I'd like to have them I'd not pay extra for them.

For my taste and having this car for almost a year there's more tech in it than needed ... I'm a low-tech guy who enjoys the driving experience but doesn't get as much enjoyment out of the high tech add-ons that ride around with me every day. Knowing they're there is one thing ... taking advantage of them is yet another.

Bart :shades:
  • Options
    For my taste and having this car for almost a year there's more tech in it than needed ... I'm a low-tech guy who enjoys the driving experience but doesn't get as much enjoyment out of the high tech add-ons that ride around with me every day.

Bart

Have you tried the Nav? It's amazingly easy to use. If you'd like some help getting started, let us know and we'll provide some tips.

Which other tech features are you talking about?

Pete
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    You're my kinda guy.

I generally go for only audio & suspension options. In the Asian world, those are part of packages that include all kinds of stuff I care less than nothing about. In the European world, it's more possible to pick and choose.

Either way, with an Asian choice, the junk you don't want is at least less likely to break and disable something you really care about. With the European (German) choice, failure is (arguably) more likely.

This is probably part of why most people driving vehicles in this group lease.

I prefer not to.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    Bart

Have you tried the Nav?

Pete ... I use the Nav regularly, and it's superb ... materially better than my wife's Lexus GX. It also has me driving taking orders from TWO women, not one! LOL The reverse video is also nothing less than sensational.

• Options
    I use the Nav regularly, and it's superb ... materially better than my wife's Lexus GX. It also has me driving taking orders from TWO women, not one! LOL The reverse video is also nothing less than sensational.

Bart

I agree with all above points
    - The M's Nav is truly great
    - MUCH Better than my former Lexus 430 NAV
    - Love the Backup Monitor
    - Hate the two voices (one would be fine thank you)

Pete
  • Options
    Hate the two voices (one would be fine thank you)

LOL ... It's THREE when my wife's with me!!!!!

Bart
  • Options
    LOL ... It's THREE when my wife's with me!!!!!

Now I'm confused. The first voice is our beloved M (My wife calls her Valerie). The second voice is our beloved back seat driver (respectively). What's the third voice?

Pete
  • Options
    docnukemdocnukem Member Posts: 485
    The "other" female voice from the Nav system. There is the soft one that tells you what to do (she must be your "Valerie"); then there is the business-like one that reads the street name (you might call her "Vicky"--and I really hope that isn't your wife's name).
  • Options
    Bart

I thought that both nav voices were the same. You must have better ears than me (which is not that hard to do.)

We do get a laugh from time to time, however, when we mimic Vicky's cadence.

Pete
  • Options
    I thought that both nav voices were the same. You must have better ears than me (which is not that hard to do.

Pete ... The voices are so different that I wonder whether they've changed the programming later in the model year; I can't imagine mistaking them for one voice. I got my M the beginning of April, first release, and docnukem got his early as well. Is yours more recent/newer?

Bart
  • Options
    I got my car in July 05'. To me, the voices sound different in STYLE and CADENCE but not timber.

Pete
  • Options
    Clearly different in BOTH style/cadence and timber. Perhaps they HAVE changed their softward.

• Options
    nicolasjnicolasj Member Posts: 4
    The voices are completely different on mine as well. The voice that says the street names sounds "robotic" while the other one sounds human... Timber is cleary different. Got my M45 in October 2005.
  • Options
    zidecarzidecar Member Posts: 49
    I thought that both nav voices were the same. You must have better ears than me (which is not that hard to do.

Pete ... The voices are so different that I wonder whether they've changed the programming later in the model year; I can't imagine mistaking them for one voice. I got my M the beginning of April, first release, and docnukem got his early as well. Is yours more recent/newer?

You can check the version of your DVD - when the vehicle is stationary - press the "information" button, scroll down to the last entry which is Navigation Info, press enter and it will display the DVD version. I purchased my M35x at the end of August & the DVD is dated April '05. Anyone have a newer version?
  • Options
    wootangawootanga Member Posts: 3
    The voices are different because one is prerecorded and one is synthesized. The amount of time and data that would be required to pre-record every single street name or junction in a single state would be enormous. To do this for North America is impractical. You'll notice that the "Vicki" voice will sometimes pronounce streets phonetically. We would say McLeod as mu-CLOWD but she would say mc-LEE-odd.

The synthesis module in the M is amazing. It does sound different than the pre-recorded numbers and words from "Valerie" but what amazes me is there aren't incredible mispronunciations all the time.

The fact that many people don't even realize it's a different voice is a testament to the engineering that went into it.

Sometimes it sounds funny but it is pretty amazing that it doesn't sound like Stephen Hawking ALL the time.

Woo
  • Options
    docnukemdocnukem Member Posts: 485
    I made an observation yesterday. For interstates, the Valerie voice was used with slightly different timbre. For local streets, the Vicky voice was used. I wonder if this is not why some people think it is the same voice. Perhaps all major thouroughfares are Valerie recordings.

While I agree that the Vicki voice sounds synthesized, there is probably a large database of commonly used names, as not all are pronounced phonetically, yet she usually gets it right.
  • Options
    wootangawootanga Member Posts: 3
    Yes. The database tells Vicky how to pronounce stuff and if there is no entry she'll give it a try on her own, but it still isn't pre-recorded like Valerie so it does sound a little more robotic.

Valerie has a wide vocabulary including numbers so the system can usually string together enough parts to make her sound great for interstates and highways.

The system is really well done IMO. :)

Woo
  • Options
    sfcharliesfcharlie Member Posts: 402
    Found this on Consumer Guide website review of M ... "No big near-term changes loom for these year-old Infinitis. However, the 2007 options list should show at least one new item: an Acura-style navigation system with real-time traffic alerts."
  • Options
    pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    those are my two "complaint" areas to improve (also agree re the passenger seat). If you read the Edmunds M35 board, or for that matter any number of other boards, poor gas mileage is one of the most frequently mentioned complaints. Interior noise is another. Yes, this is a sports sedan, but for all its values, it loses in these areas to its competition and re gas mileage - definitely needs an improvement. Two simple ways to deal with both of these are: put in a six speed auto transmission with sixth gear a much higher overdrive to lower rpm and improve both gas mileage and noise. Since it does not appear that this will happen, put in a higher fifth gear to accomplish some of the same. This will still allow great acceleration, but lower rpm/noise and boost mileage on the highway. Seems like a no-brainer that hopefully Infiniti will adopt for the 07 model year. If not, expect some M buyers to head for the Lexus GS350 with a 21/30 EPA listing vs. the M's 18/25.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    A couple of posts have been moved to the new M35/M45: MPG-Real World Numbers discussion. Come on over!
  • Options
    dwyatt1dwyatt1 Member Posts: 1
    It would be nice if the system could pick the city you were in (using the GPS system) and default to that city for any address or destination name entered. Why should we have to type out a city name (or pick the "last 5 cities"? :confuse:
  • Options
    rlejr66rlejr66 Member Posts: 44
    Not sure if this was mentioned, but what about automatic rain sensing windshield wipers? Have driven my parents '05 Avalon and the Mrs. '05 GX470 which both have them. Nissan/Infiniti needs to jump on board with these.
  • Options
    ghstudioghstudio Member Posts: 972
    I agree with defaulting to the last state/city but on the current unit just say...."destination street address same city" (or same state)
  • Options
    pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    the G's engine is said to be 80% new and feature such things as variable timing on both intake and exhaust cams (over 300hp). The M appears to be carrying the old VQ engine over into 07, with the only difference being that it is now rated at 275hp to comply with the SAE guidelines. The new engine is said to be somewhat more fuel efficient too. While they are at it, put a six speed auto in the M.
  • Options
    ewl88ewl88 Member Posts: 76
    Better mileage, slightly smoother transmission, slightly quieter interior (not lexus quiet but quieter than now), automatic locks that lock when moving and that lock if ignition is off. Tighter steering (I like the 2006 g35's tighter steering better at least on the loaner I had. Another g35 loaner 2005? was so jittery that a sneeze would send you in the bushes) Oh, stronger windshield fluid jets. Otherwise an excellent vehicle.
  • Options
    carfan28carfan28 Member Posts: 43
    I see some of the posts here are a bit dated.

The 2007 G has real time traffic, not sure if it has the Acura Navigation type system. My guess is that the 2008 M will adopt this as well. The 2007 M I just test drove had wind noise- not engine noise; very annoying. I'll have to try another car and see if this is a prevalent problem.
  • Options
    gmoney888gmoney888 Member Posts: 1
    I wish they would include an aux. input for the use of ipod or other mp3 players without requiring you to purchase the full tech package. It is not possible to install an after market aux. input according to several stereo dealers.
  • Options
    veragenveragen Member Posts: 34
    Ok, Infiniti redesign the "M" model for 2011year to arrive in spring 2010! I'm hoping & wishing they improved gas mileage & to switch from premium to diesel for EPA avg of 22/28 also a more quieter soundproof interior from exterior noise: engine, hiways-roads & normal bumper-to-bumper traffic. Other than that they resigned the "M" very well!

www.topspeed.com/cars/infiniti/2011-infiniti-m-ar78030/picture315604.html
This discussion has been closed.