Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Pacifica: Electrical/Lighting Problems

Comments

• hawk22hawk22 Member Posts: 1
    A friend and I installed a similar trailer hitch wiring harness on a 2008 Pacificia yesterday. The mating connector was buried in some foam that you could just barely see when you removed the rubber grommet on the driver's side. We were able to feel it and pry it loose with our fingers, cut a slit in the side of the grommet and replace the grommet with the connector then exposed.

Wish this had solved our next problem. The instructions told us to put a fuse in slot 10 in the fuse panel. Slot 10 in the 2008 Pacifica is used for something else.
  • bnbdoeingbnbdoeing Member Posts: 1
    electrical problems Courtesy lights not working ,back window wiper,back up lights, and now car will not start[ any ideas, please help
  • kking76kking76 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 05 chrysler pacifica touring I've had it now for about 15 mths. I haven't had any major or minor problems just today the engine light came on while I was driving it has never done it before I was wondering has anyone else had that problem.

• brown01brown01 Member Posts: 2
    on today a sprite drink exploded in my pacifica and went under the seats now the front power seats do not work. is that where the fuse is for the seats or do i need to take it to the dealer/
  • brown01brown01 Member Posts: 2
    can you tellme where the fuse box is located in a 2006 pacifica/
  • cariadlawncariadlawn Member Posts: 1
    I've been having an annoying problem with my '05 Pacifica, and no luck getting it fixed so far. The power seat controls will randomly stop working, with no apparent connection to anything I'm doing with the car at the time. Sometimes they will not work for days at a time, sometimes they won't work for a few minutes, then kick back in the next time I start the car. I checked the fuse, which was fine, and even switched it for a new one. I did find that wiggling the fuse seemed to wake up the controls, but that could have just been a coincidence. When this problem occurs, neither of the front seats can be adjusted. I have just the basic power seats, they're not heated.

I have brought the car to a Chrysler dealer twice now, and of course both times the seats decided to be in perfect working condition. The first time they charged me $40 for labor and told me nothing was wrong. They said maybe it was a circuit breaker tripping because it was overheated (yeah, I just play with the power seats all day long...). I know nothing's overheating, because many times it happens when I start the car for the first time in the morning. On my second visit to the dealer, the mechanic messed around with the wiring under the driver's seat to see if he could cause the controls to fail (they were working at the time), but nothing happened. I was told that they can't help me unless I bring the car in while the seats aren't working. That's easier said than done considering they are only open 9 to 5, Monday through Friday, and I have to work! >:-(

I'm just wondering if anyone has some idea about what this could be. I had a similar problem with my old car - the turn signals would stop working randomly, and it was because of a faulty hazard switch. Is there a relay or switch that could be faulty in my Pacifica? Is there really no way to figure out the problem while the seats are working?
  • dkbringhamdkbringham Member Posts: 1
    Went out to the pacifica the other morn...found the radio playing, a/c blower blowing, trouble lites glowing, all like the key was on b4 start. The key was in my pocket with the switch off. Tried to start (still had a little battery), started for 2-3 seconds and quit, did the same 2 more times after charging battery. Any ideas would be appreciated
  • jtg61jtg61 Member Posts: 43
    I have a 2005 3.8L Pacifica bought new in July '05 (out of warranty) with only 27k miles. I've had a remote lock and instrument cluster failure twice now a few months apart. They way I notice it is when I go to remote lock my vehicle I don't get the horn and light confirmation. I get back in the vehicle and power it on and the instrument cluster is dark, no illumination or display. The vehicle still starts (luckily) and everything else seems to work fine. After it sits for awhile, the instrument cluster comes back on and everything appears to work fine again. The last time this happened the check engine light illuminated so I finally got some fault codes to troubleshoot this problem. I did the 'on acc on acc on' trick to get the fault codes to pop up on the odometer. I got two fault codes u110c (No Fuel Level Bus Message) and u0140 (Lost Communication With Body Control Module). Has anyone else experienced this glitch? Anyone know the possible cause, solution? Since my vehicle is out of warranty, I don't want to waste an expensive service fee to troubleshoot this intermittent problem. I can't seem to find a TSB or Recall that specifically addresses this problem. Thanks for any help.
  • meeklo1meeklo1 Member Posts: 6
    I just got that problem today. I have a 2005, i believe a 3.7, im not sure about the ltrs. I do have a warranty, so when they hopefully find out i'll be sure to let you know. I took it to get an oil change at Midas, they gave me a report on the car. It said that our years have a problem with the speed sensors, so if you feel your ride getting whack when slowing down thats probably what it is.
  • rkwahlbergrkwahlberg Member Posts: 1
    Newer instructions indicate that 07 and later models use a different slot but already have a fuse in it. So you should be ok.
  • cars_addictcars_addict Member Posts: 5
    I have the exact same problem with my 2004 Pacifica. Here's a synopsis of the circuit. The fuse in the power distribution panel under the hood feeds the circuit breaker--I believe embedded or under the power distribution panel. The power then goes to the seats control modules I believe in the door panels which are then connected to the seat position memory function.
    When my seats stop working, I pull the fuse for about 10 minutes and then replace the fuse. The seat movement function is restored. I've also disabled the selection for the memory. My hunch is that the memory function is sending a signal through the control module to one of the motors which then are at the extreme, and do not cut off. This in turn causes the circuit breaker to overheat and "pop" which then cannot reset because it remains overheated.
    We need to post this complaint on the NHTSA website under the vehicle complaints.
    (If this continues to be a problem for me, instead of paying the outrageous dealer labor charges and parts costs, I will wire (14 gauge wire) a fused circuit from the battery to the door switches and cut out the entire circuit as designed.)
    Check my reply today to another owner with power seat failures....
  • joe124joe124 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 PAC touring with 16,000 miles. I cannot get heat to the floor. Heat only comes out of dash or defrost. I repearedly tried different settings on heating control but heat will not blow to floor. Very cold In Chicago and feet are freezing. Also windows freeze constantly with any cold and moisture. Winter is miserable with PAC. :(
  • glendoreglendore Member Posts: 1
    Help! I'm having difficulties with my 2004 Pacifica windshield fogging up. If I vent a window, the fog will disappear (but it gets a little cool at minus 20 celsius!). If I do not vent, but opt to put all the air flow on the windshield, it will eventually freeze up and reduce my visibility greatly. My dealership can not get my vehicle into the shop for another month. Suggestions?
  • jsnglancyjsnglancy Member Posts: 1
    help......I started my crysler pacifica and the head lights wouldnt come on. i have an '05 model... the brights will work, hazards work, tail lights work, no low beams though. The bulbs dont seem to be burned out but I dont know. Funny how i go to turn on the car and ,all of a sudden, both lights dont work. didnt see any signs of failure before just stopped working. Any suggestions would be helpful, either to fix problem or ways to diagnose the problem. like i said the wire inside the bulb doesnt seem to be burned out and all fuses are good.......fan motor also making noise under the lower part of dash/floorboard, passenger side,area when turning on the heat.....last chrysler i by!!!!! We had a 89 Grand Carvan growing up, Transmission went out every 5 thousand miles.....after about 30,000 miles... Dont know why i gave them a second chance..... guess i love the USA....to bad we cant make a good car anymore.
    I had the same problem when i came out to start my car at night. It didn't look like my left bulb was burnt either. After trying for a long time to get my light bulb, i went to the dealer and asked how i would get it off. They said it would take an hour to get being that you had to take off the bumper. I was ******* pissed, so i go and buy a new set of bulbs in case the other one decides to take a crap on me. I went to my bros and he tells me that I just gotta take the two black screws off that are under the hood. They are just above the grille, after that loosen the headlights fastening screw. Pull out the light, don't be scared, the bottom of the light has a pin type mechanism that slides into a groove on the body.so when your putting it back on look under the light and see if it matches up with the groove. If not you'll be rigging your lights. Oh yeah another thing, Remember how you took your bulb out of the socket, it took me a while cause the locking device was snug. Hope all works out for you. Overall, it only took me 30 min. tops. Damn retarded dealers," Take off the bumper" HAHAHAHAHAHA
  • hot_pacificahot_pacifica Member Posts: 15
    Hello,
    Checking if anyone else has had this issue or knows anything. After the big snow storm (dont know if it has to do with it) my check engine light came on, then the whole inst. cluster started flashing, every light going on, the speedometer went up and down and the RPMs also. The Nav flashed a "speed cable not connected" sign. when I got to my destination, all the lights were on, I turned the car off. I went back to my PAC after giving it about an hour to calm down, then the inst. cluster was blank...... nothing..... on speedometer, no lights, no gas gauge, nothing. I drove it away anyway, after about 20 minutes it popped back on, but now the message center said "services immobilizer" and where the miles are said "no bus"
    I went home, after realizing I was out of microwave popcorn I went to the store and found it to be acting normal......Im so confused....any ideas? :shades:

Oh yeah, i have a 04 pac awd

Also.... Does the tire pressure message center tell you guys WHICH tire is high or low? dealer said it is but mine doesnt....
  • eroberts05eroberts05 Member Posts: 8
    All the dummy lights started going on and off on my 04 Pacifica today too! It actually started to act up a couple months ago and I replaced the battery and the alternater then. It drove ok for a while, but the dummy lights would still come on sometimes 1 or 2 or 3 of them on and off, but the car drove ok. Went to AutoZone and they said the engine light came on because the gas cap was not on securely. Today the dummy lights really started going crazy, the car died at Wal Mart. After sitting about 15 min it started. Tried to drive it and the ABS light started flashing and all the dummy lights, event the Airbag light, and the car acted like the brakes were on then it would speed up on its own and the headlights kept going more dim. The car was acting like it was possessed! I was afraid to drive it home and happened to be near the Chrysler dealer so I left it parked there. They were closed, so I left the key and a note in the night drop. I hope and pray they can figure out what is wrong with it and fix it. I really liked this car and did not want to get rid of it. Just wonder how many Pacifica owners have had this problem.
    yeah, that is weird..... although I do have to say It never effected the driving, I heard someone else say in a different forum to turn the key to: on, acc, on, acc, on..... and a trouble code will tell you anything wrong with it, Im going to try it out tomorrow.
    There might be something to the gas cap idea, as strange as it may seem, I filled the car up with gas today and everything was fixed.... the engine light turned off and everything......
    My 04 Pacifica was repaired today, they said the connection to the alternater was burned up and they replaced it and it is running fine now. We will see how it does. I will update to let you know if I have any more problems or if it does ok. The gas cap thing, if it does not seal tight it does cause the engine light to stay on. They seem to be very sensitive. Someone else I know that has an 05 Pacifica had that happened to them also!
  • pacmompacmom Member Posts: 1
    I had same problem,my problem started after I was hit in an accident from behind. I took it to the local chrysler dealer. They said the problem was the control module which was covered by the factory warranty. I read online that this is part of a recall on the 04 & 05 Pacifica. I would call the dealer and ask about this. :D
  • Valiant451Valiant451 Member Posts: 3
    I have an 04 Pac, when I turn the key to the ACC everything works. When I start the car the heater, windsheild wipers, windows, and radio don't work. If any one has an idea of what is happening please send me an e-mail. Any suggestions are welcome!
    Well I had mine fixed about a month ago, and my engine light came on AGAIN a couple days ago, I am scared it might be an electrical problem. I hate to keep sinking money into it. I really think I am going to have to swallow my losses and get rid of it, sorry to say, cause I really did love this car.
  • Valiant451Valiant451 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone have a wiring diagram for an 05 Pac? I'm not going to spend $140 for the entire book. I need to know what the wires are running to the PCM.
  • nupromonupromo Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased an '05 Pacifica... Touring AWD. 51200 miles, loaded and was a pretty good deal

1. While headlights are on, and all buttons are lit - I am missing light behind the Temp & Pwr buttons. Any idea what the process is to get this fixed? 1 or 2 bulbs? removal process for the heating unit to reach the bulb?

2. Are the Cruise buttons on the steering wheel light up? They do not right now, should they? I hope so, cannot see them in the dark.

3. Auto on/off headlight option... is missing from this vehicle. My last 4 vehicles had this option - they were from 2000. I mean come on!! Is it true that only the auto dimming mirror and a new turn signal stick will provide this option? (Mirror 4894387AA & Turn signal 4685956AC) Are these difficult to install?

Thanks in advance!!
  • dundee72dundee72 Member Posts: 2
  • dundee72dundee72 Member Posts: 2
    My back portion of the seat will not move. You can hear a click noise when you push the button, but the back portion will not move forward or aft.

The overall seat will move forward and aft when you push that button. The seat heats fine.

Any suggestions?
  • dsinatoredsinatore Member Posts: 7
    I see there are several issues with the power seats on the Pacifica. Has anyone solved this issue. The suggestion about removing the fuse by "carsaddict" does not work on my 04. Both sets of seats do not work at this time. They both make a clicking noise which does indicate power to the seats so I know it isn't the fuse. You can actually feel them pulse.
    I just retrieved my Pacifica from the dealer this morning, and my seats are working fine--having just lightened my savings to the tune of $1,732. including the tow to have the vehicle taken to the dealer.

10 days ago, I stopped at the bank on the way to work--the seats had ceased working a few days before with no success getting them restored. When I went to restart the car, nothing happened. The instrument panel lit up and all seemed okay, except the starter motor would not even engage. This after havning just driven the car about 5 miles moments before. The message center had a message "SERVICE DISABLED."

Wnen the car got to the dealer, it took them two days to troubleshoot and diagnose the problem. Battery acid had somehow dripped from the battery tray onto a major wiring bundle/harness connector beneath the battery, corroded the connections, and then shorted out some of the circuits. The end result was that the harness ends had to be "re-wired" and the PCM, the trans contol module and the speed sensor were all fried.
    Sounded like some real good fun just prior to the holidays. Was your Pacifica still having you reset the seats every so often? My seats have not worked for about a year or so. I am too cheap to get them fixed at the dealer. Most of the time they just replace everything and this usually fixes the problem at a huge expense. so I refuse to do it for the seats. I have 77K on the car and besides the seats and the tie rod ends the car has been pretty good to me.
    Dino
    Strange--the word "fun" wasn't in the list of words I was thinking.... nope, still not there!
    Up until this event, I had been able to pull the No. 8 fuse for 10-15 minutes to reset the CB, but with this occurence, that did not work. Today they are working perfectly--however, if they do go out again--on the assumption it is not the major wiring issue, I will jumper a wire from the battery (fused) to the switches in the doors, and by pass the control modules.

The service manual states that to diagnose the door panel systems (windows, seats, mirrors) to use the "DRB III tester." Anyone know how much one of these costs? or where to obtain one?
    Seen a few on Ebay. Mostly from shut down Chrysler dealers which I am assuming will be a growing trend. Cost around 300. Although in looking at them, they appear to be more focused on transmissions rather than doors.
  • babycham8babycham8 Member Posts: 1
    Hi

I am having the same issue with my 04 pacifica, did you get any solution to this problem? I have complained to the dealership and they say it's a problem with the pacificas. Now if that is the case must someone die in an accident before they address this issue. It is scary dangerous driving, I have to be winding down the windows when ever I want to change lane or merge. This is just crazy!
  • bmore2kcbmore2kc Member Posts: 1
    Just got my 05 back from the dealer and he stated that I had to get a new driver side seat switch in order for my seat to operate properly. Has anyone changed out the switch and if so what was the outcome?
  • sashay23sashay23 Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a used 06 Pacifica 2months ago. The first night the check engine light came on so that Mon I took it back and it was supposedly the O2 sensor...had that checked and the next day the check engine light was back on. A week later, the ABS and brake light started flashing on and off, causing the radio to cut out so Ive been complaining about this to the dealer and since have had it in the repair shop 5 times(including today). 2 days ago, the car cut off in the middle of an intersection and now whenever I start it and drive off, it acts as if it's going to cut off...has anyone experienced this?
    My 04 Pacifica did something similar last year, all my dummy lights were flashing and we barely got it down the road a couple miles to leave it at the Chrysler dealer. The Chrysler dealer was able to fix it. They said the connection to the alternator was burned up.They replaced that part and it ran fine. My check engine light came on again recently and my neighbor plugged a computer in to it and it said there was a problem with a sensor but not serious. If you can get your car over to an Auto Zone they can plug it into the computer and give you an idea of what may be wrong, Where I live Auto Zone doesn't charge for this service. I haven't had the check engine light fixed yet, it is still running fine though.
  • nik96nik96 Member Posts: 2
    have you fixed this elec problem....I had this same problem but I fixed it....let me know.....
    Thank you for your reply. My check engine light is still on, but the car has been running ok.
  • not2latenot2late Member Posts: 2
    Looks like I am having the same problem as everyone else. I have an 06 Pac. The break light will come up and will lose the radio for a sec. It bothered me but I the car was fine. Today all the instrument lights came up and the car just stopped while I was waiting at a stop light. I wonder if the burnt alternator cable is covered under the extended warranty I bought.
  • nessie23453nessie23453 Member Posts: 1
    Hello sashay23,

I have the exact same problem with m '06 Pacifica. I have had my car at the dealership several times and they can not find a solution to this problem. Were you ever able to get your car fixed and if so what did they have to do to fix it? Thank you.
  • buffy_nbuffy_n Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever figure out what is going on with your car?

My 06 Pacifica started doing the same thing. The ABS :mad: :confuse: and Brake light flash along with a ding...and the radio cuts out every so often. And all the interior lights flicker, so do the exterior lights.

The dealer said it was a bad battery, it was a fix for a week. another mechanic i brought it to said the code was low voltage from altenator, but it has a brand new altenator.
  • not2latenot2late Member Posts: 2
    I didn't take it to the dealer but tried to see if I can do something at least. I removed my GPS which was connected to the battery cigarette lighter. I removed the battery connectors and tried to clean them.

So far, the problem disappeared but I don't think it is gone. I have seen the ABS lights come on one and every once a while I would see the lights flicker.

Talking to a mechanic, he said most likely it is a bad connector/wire. Or a wire about to get burned. In his point of view, keep driving it till it stops or to the point where we can produce the problem.

Good luck. Please keep me posted with your fix.
    I don't know if this is related to everyones electrical issue, but for about 2 years on my 2004 Pacifica, I was replacing lights, headlights, taillights, 3rd brake light. The headlights were the most at about a pair every 6 months. I tried $20 ones and even $50 ones. No luck. Had a new battery installed about a year ago at Sears. Car had trouble starting up. Took the car back to Sears to check battery. They said alternator was failing to charge battery but the battery also had a weak cell. So they gave me a new one. I bought a new alternator and installed it. There was a lot of dust build up on the old alternator which the technician at Sears said was probably the winding going bad. It has been about 8 months with new alt. and I have not had to replace a single light so far. After the fact, the lights were blowing out as a result to a surging voltage from my alt. Compare that to my 2001 300M, which has the original battery and headlight with 140K on it. Go figure.
    By the way, I still have not been able to figure out my power seat issue. they still pulse when you try to adjust them but they don't move. Anyone?
  • halfloophalfloop Member Posts: 1
    Same problem Solved by wiggling the wires that go to the fuse box to the right side of the battery. I have heard that there are connection problems to the fuse / relay box. A couple of fellers actually replaced the main (red) cable to the battery.

The whole box comes off with four tabs two on the battery side and two on the body side. I would disconnect the battery first. Remove the box, lift up, remove and reset reset all of the connectors. There are a dozen or so. Seats work again and no flickering.

If you remove the battery you only have to release the tabs next to the body and the box is hinged towards the battery.
  • peanut09peanut09 Member Posts: 1
    I do not have a problem with the ABS light....yet. I'm waiting though. I have had my 2004 for 3 years (bought it used). About a year ago, the alternator went (I always had a weak battery-figured that was why). Now it seems that my nice climate control and center console lights staying on and the key chiming with the the door ajar-with no key in it. LOVELY!!! Hubby ran a code, said "low voltage". Climate control center is going nuts! The blower runs in high constantly, if you shut it off it goes to defrost on high-without the center being on at all! Cannot adjust the fan manually either. I also noticed something when my hubby reconnected the terminals...my fog lights flickered....ummm that's not normal. I think my car is ready to have a massive computer breakdown! I had a Chrysler Sebring convertible and lost the dash lights. That computer cost 1200.00 to replace! I can ONLY imagine what this one will cost! I think all of us listing random problems are facing the inevitable...replacing the main computer...someone needs to save all of us "suckers". Hubby is going to try changing the blower module. I will keep you all posted. Good luck to all of you. I will NEVER by another Chrysler. I don't care what hubby says! I'ld rather drive my 69 Grand Prix in the winter first!
  • crwright3crwright3 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    Ok, i have had this problem with my 2006 pacifica. The lights on the dash will start going on/off and start cutting out the radio. The way to fix it is the red wire cumeing off the battery term is bad. The one that goes to the bottom of the fuse box, it go's to a stud with a nut on it. It will have a black plastic block thing on the wire it self. That is were the wire is failing at. I just made a jumper with a 7.00 wire from auto zone and it was fixed. It was just a 40 inch new battery wire with terms. at the end allready on. It was a 15 min fix that no one else could figure out. Hope this helps
  • sarge836sarge836 Member Posts: 12
    this pacifica the running lights stay on when ever the engine is running and I can't seem to find a way to turn them off. Had a guy at auto zone tell me that is normal????? I don't think so. It burns out the lights every month or so and starting to show burn marks on the light socket it's self. I'm an electrician but not for this. Does anyone have any idea why they would stay on or how do I fix the issue. I see the same pacifica's everyday and there running lights aren't on.???? You help is greatly appreciated. :confuse:
    It sounds like your Pacifica has daytime sensors for the headlights. If you do then there should be a sensor on the dashboard. If not, then press the menu button next to the clock. There should be a setting for the headlights or power accessory delay. Hope to be of help.