Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Acura TL

Comments

• dampfnudeldampfnudel Member Posts: 131
    According to Acura:

"The TL's suspension has been retuned with an emphasis on ride comfort while maintaining excellent handling. Thus, the hollow front anti-roll bar has increased in size from 25.4mm to 27.2mm. Also, the front spring rate has been reduced by 7 percent compared to the 2006 model. The front compliance bushing and dampers have been retuned for improved ride comfort, resulting in improved ride comfort without increased roll and only a slight decrease in instrumented handling tests."
  • cadreamncadreamn Member Posts: 56
    After typing my last message I decided to try the 2007 TL. Did not notice any reduction in the sporty feel. (Whew).
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    I have a video on it but mostly the type s.

Its the 2nd one

-Cj :)
  • tlmantlman Member Posts: 6
    I just got my 07 and had an 06 which I logged 37K on I do notice a smoother quieter ride without a noticable difference in handling except on highway entrance and exit ramps you can feel the difference. To me a highway driver the 07 setup is much better. Any other thoughts?
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    timan: Can you make any other comparisons between the '06 and '07?

What about the seats? '07 supposed to be a bit softer.

Do you prefer the '07 instruments and the placement of the maintenance minder?

If you have NAVI, how is the rear camera?
    Did you opt for Type-s? Did you drive it? I love the Tl but now i don't like any of the color choices. This is how I feel:

Black Too Common
    White: Too easily dirty
    Silver To Plain and hard to see in rain
    Gray: Its the only one i somewhat like
    Red: umm... Insurance?
    blue: Too loud? Maybe if it was darker
    Gold: Same as grey

The old green was my favorite :mad: :cry:

I guess if I had a choice today, It be a 2006 Tl w/nav auto Grey on taupe interior. maybe $36k

-Cj :(
  • dampfnudeldampfnudel Member Posts: 131
    When you mean gray, do you mean the carbon gray (dark gray) or carbon bronze (lighter gray with a brown tint) ?

If Cool Blue Metallic was available on the TL (it just became available on the '07 Accord sedan), that would make my decision easy. :(
  • bejocundbejocund Member Posts: 12
    It's not perfect, but it's the better car out there. it's funny, but back in 2004, i kept reading forum discussions how Acura could have made a perfect car if only they added this and that (folding rear seats, AWD, RWD, drifting to the left issues, bad tires, etc).

Well I bought the 2005 in November of 2004. It has been bliss since. I was on the fence with the Navi (flat screen tv for the living room vs. Navi for the car). The Navi has proven itself indispensable and worth every penny. It has helped me avoid being stuck on the highway b/c of some construction or accident. Socially, the Navi is as essential as the cell phone. I've messed around with the Lexus, Infinity, Hummer, and even Garmin portable Nuvi, and Acura's Alpine Navi is hard to beat. There are some parts where the Navi gets a bit inaccurate, but those are far and few, and compared to other GPS navi's, Alpine is superior in my humble opinion.

I will say the side mirror stopped working (tilting down on reverse) about 1 month ago. But I'm still happy with this car. The engine is smooth, the stereo rocks, and the leather has not cracked on me (which was mentioned like crazy back in 2004). I was worried about car color and it took me 3 months to decide on a color. You know what, they all look good (i've seen so many on the road, and they all look great). As for the black leather and summer heat, it is not noticeable (i was really worried about this). Acura's air conditioning works QUICKLY so don't worry about it.

I'm a bit jealous that the '07 has ipod connections, rear camera, and live traffic update. But that's life, nothing is perfect forever. heck nothing is perfect in general.

In summary, back in 2004, all the negative things that i read made me so paranoid. But the TL has been my favorite invesment (i'm still paying the loan for another 3 years). It has given joy beyond words.

I bought the car when i was 30 y.o. Silver with black interiors.

If your heart is set on the Lexus/Infinity, i'd recommend you buy the Alpine Navi and get it installed. I almost bought the Lexus back in 2004, but the design was still boring, it was expensive, interior was not well designed/refined, and the Navi was not as good. I do think Lexus build quality is better than Acura. But my instincts back then told me that i like the Acura more.

I would recommend that you test drive both cars and see which one your gut prefers. Don't read too many forum discussions or it'll drive you crazy and make you indecisive and even develop buyer's remorse. Trust your instinct. Either cars are still good cars.
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    The TL made the CR list for one of the most reliable vehicles...

It was beat out by the Azera :confuse:
  • theuser005theuser005 Member Posts: 15
    I got 07 TL w/ navi few weeks ago. I just can't figure out how the heck traffic works in md/dc area. I have enabled the traffic icon, but I don't see any indication on the map of the traffic. I am supposed to see red, orange, green lines depending on the traffic conditions.

What am I missing ??
  • tnsigtnsig Member Posts: 25
    I got 07 TL w/ navi few weeks ago. I just can't figure out how the heck traffic works in md/dc area. I have enabled the traffic icon, but I don't see any indication on the map of the traffic. I am supposed to see red, orange, green lines depending on the traffic conditions.

What am I missing ??

Did you activate/sign up for XM Navtraffic and do you live in an area that they cover?
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Did you activate/sign up for XM Navtraffic and do you live in an area that they cover?

I know that XM covers the DC/Baltimore area, but if channel 214 (DC) is any indication, you might as well give your kid some Crayola's to mark up your Nav screen with. XM radio traffic reports just plain suck. I've been parked on the Capital Beltway, and they claim no back ups. I've been flying on it, and they claim it's running "Red" (vs. Yellow or Green). They seem to be in a different time zone or asleep at the control station. And once you leave the main highways, forget it. I don't think they have ever heard of Wisconsin Avenue in Bethesda or Georgetown. But they'll give you an up to the minute report on the Suitland Highway (an area that most Acuras should have all their doors locked at high noon). :confuse:

If Acura is counting on XM to deliver the "content" portion of it's Nav/Traffic system, they better rethink that strategy. Or force XM to improve their accuracy, at least for the DC area. We have XM on all three of our cars and I own far too many shares of XMSR stock to be bad-mouthing them, but when I actually need to know what's happening on the roads, I switch to 1500 AM. :cry:
  • atlrider87atlrider87 Member Posts: 2
    I think they are the same. I have taken a test drive of the new '07 Acura TL and you can enter street names via voice recognition. Plus it also has the real time traffic feature and a back-up camera.

I am trading my '04 Honda Accord in for the new TL. I can't wait for it to arrive.
    So uh, how about the upgraded rims on the 07 tl. Sure are sportier than before. Still, i wished they didn't discontinue the QUARTZ leather, or my favorite green color.

-Cj :cry:
    Hows the automanual in this car?
  • spyderredspyderred Member Posts: 138
    Does anyone know if the 07 TL w/nav stereo automatically increases the volume as your speed increases. I have a 2001 BMW 5 series and I really like this feature.

Spyderred
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    How's the automanual in this car?

Nice, if you like automatics.
    Not so nice if you like manuals.

You'll have to test drive it for yourself to see if you like it, but I think it lacks compared to some of the competitors.

It's reaction times and allowance for RPMs is nicer in the Type-S than in the base TL.
    At least, that's what I found.
    Does anyone know if the 07 TL w/nav stereo automatically increases the volume as your speed increases.

The brochure mentions nothing about speed sensitive volume.
    I was lucky enough to get an 07 TL loaner the other day, while they played with my 06 MDX's subwoofer.

I noticed myself adjusting the volume when getting on the highway, and again when I got off... so I guess the option is not there.
    Thanks for the response. I looked through the 07 brochure and saw nothing in there. I was hoping it is available but I guess not. I really like this feature on my BMW...Oh well. This is one feature I will have to live without. Must compromise as there will never be a perfect car out there.
  • andraeandrae Member Posts: 18
    It's there...push the right knob on your stereo (the one where you can adjust the bass, treble, etc..) until you see "SVC". This is the speed volume control setting. You can set it to Off, Low, Mid, and High. It's set to Mid from the factory.
    Andrae, Thanks. I was really hoping that this feature was on the TL. I will have to check it out on my next test drive.
    :D

I saw the SVC setting when I had the 07 for the day.
    Had no idea what it meant, but it was set to MED.

good to know, thanks!
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Member Posts: 225
    For those owners of 07 TLs -- has Acura fixed the rattles and squeaks that are prevalent in the pre-07 models? I have an 06 and it came with a few annoying rattles. Lately, however, they seem to have gone away. Perhaps, hibernating for the cold winter. I hope they won't return in the spring.
    I haven't checked the 07 TL yet for the Speed Volume Control (SVC). However, I did check my friends 06 TL with Nav and we couldn't find it in any of the settings.

I will check the 07 probably this weekend.

Spyder.
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    Not peep out of my 05 TL :shades:
  • richey02hgrichey02hg Member Posts: 69
    yah, its there on my 07, i changed it to low. Medium just had it go up to high sometimes. My TL's engine is not that loud :)
  • john499john499 Member Posts: 2
    Taillight condensation.Replaced lenses twice in my acura tl 2007.Purchased in march 2007.I cannot seem to understand why a 35000 dollar car would have condensation in taillights everytime I wash the car?I also has the same problem in cold weather,and when it rains.It does go away after awhile,but I cannot believe that I am the only one that has this problem.Anyone else out there with the same problem.
  • holla322holla322 Member Posts: 25
    i just purchased the new 07 tl and i think the system sucks compared to previous generations. I previously had a 2000 tl and the system was hot. is it just me or did acura drop the ball with the audio system. i heard the 07 g35 system and its pretty clear who has the better system. i havent tried the DVD-A yet.
    Why didn't you get the G35? :confuse:
  • holla322holla322 Member Posts: 25
    because the TL was significantly cheaper than the g35x.
    I guess you get what you pay for then right?
  • tgr3tgr3 Member Posts: 13
    Oh man, you touched a raw nerve. I have an 07 TL Type S. Here is a rundown .... 4 (yes 4) times to the dealer for a subwoofer deck rattle. 1 time to the dealer with a glove compartment rattle. Another trip for a dashboard rattle near the driver pillar. 2 more trips for a rattle in the rear driver side pillar (they have not solved that yet, and it is ennoying as hell), 1 trip for a rattle traced to a rear seat belt retractor, 1 trip to put the rear seat back in place (cuz they did not put it back correctly on a previous trip), and oh by the way, I have an appt scheduled to try to solve the rattle in the rear pillar again... OH, and when they messed with the seat belt rattle, they messed up the subwoofer deck rattle that they fixed a month ago, so BACK IT GOES. I am seriously (very seriously) comtemplating trading it in for a Lexus IS 350. If this last trip won't fix all these rattles, I am dumping it and will never buy an Acura again. This thing has spent more time at the dealer than in my garage .... 5230 miles in this rattle bucket. such a shame, it is a great car otherwise. If anyone has a fix for the rattle in the rear driver side pillar PLEASE let me know.
  • raudiaudiraudiaudi Member Posts: 8
    When I installed stereos and big bass systems I would use dynamat, which is expensive. Another idea is to use clear or black silicone, whichever is a better match for the interior color and put it on the edges of the plastic that you think are touching other hard objects, ex. like trim pieces that are affixed to metal pillars with clips. Chasing rattles is a fun game that should be reserved for the weekends when you have nothing else to do! It is a bummer to hear this about the TL because I am seriously considering this car, but rattles are annoying.
  • stiedemannstiedemann Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 TL and when I use the NAV the voice is always too loud. This is really annoying when I am talkiing on the phone at the same time. Can I turn off or change the volume on the NAV without affecting the audio system?
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Member Posts: 225
    Go to the setup screen to lower the navi's voice. Question ... can you use the HFL phone when the navi is making an announcement? I always thought the phone would trump and disenable the navi's voice when the former is in use.
  • gabenlukegabenluke Member Posts: 5
    I have finally decided to trade in my Chevy Avalanche for an Acura TL. The price of gas has finally made me realize that it is not economical anymore to keep driving a "gas hog". Just curious to know how it handles in the wintery conditions of Northern Illinois?? Also, I might think about waiting until 2009 comes out with AWD. That was what I liked best about the Audi A4. But, higher initial cost and reliability concerns worried me. Any comments would be appreciated!
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Tires are key for winter handling. My 2004 TL 6-speed came with the "HPT" summer tire package. You might as well put ice skates on the car. I switched to a high performance "all season" tire and, although they are better, the car still doesn't handle the snow as well as my old 1995 Maxima. The 17" wheels and low profile 235/45 tires on the TL are not conducive to winter driving (my Maxima has 15" 215/60), but you could probably do OK if you shop tires for the best all season yu can find.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    In my case, hills were the biggest problem w/ my '05 TL. It did ok in deep snow w/ 4 Blizzaks in flatter areas, but watch out for the hills.
  • gabenlukegabenluke Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the input. I think I will at least wait until spring before I get rid of my 4x4. Then I might just wait until the '09's come out for the AWD.
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    can you use the HFL phone when the navi is making an announcement?

Yes. The directions are still given, and I don't notice them being muted either, but the peopel I speak to do not seem to hear the voice - just mine.
  • stiedemannstiedemann Member Posts: 2
    No, the people on the phone can hear the NAV voice and always ask about it. The phone works fine but the NAV seems to be louder than the phone.
  • craig777craig777 Member Posts: 4
    Los Angeles - Acura owner seeks advice on how improve ride quality/comfort on automatic Trans / 2007 Acura TL.

Seeking any feedback on suspension adjustments or aftermarket products to help alleviate some of the stiff /harsh road ride.

OEM Tires Michelin 17X 8 - Size: 235/45R17

Love this car's styling / interior & exterior, fit and finish, gas mileage, etc. Just looking to tradeoff some road handling in exchange for ride quality!

Any suggestions, technician contacts or web site info, Greatly Appreciated !
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    The michelins as I recall have a very stiff side wall, hence better cornering. You could try a "softer" tire. I wouldn't mess w/ the suspension for fear of voiding the warranty. My '05 rode the same way and I eventually tired of it, especially for a daily driver. Now, my newest ride, a VW GTI, has all the handling of the TL (probably better) with none of the jarring over rough terrain (i.e. rr tracks). If the germans can build a comfortable performance car, why can't the japanese?
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    I agree with upstate that the 1st (and maybe even the only) thing to do is change the tires. They make tires built specifically for comfort - you may give up some handling in the process, but if that's a worthwhile trade-off for you, that's the easiest, least invasive fix.

Tire Rack has a website you can visit, and of course there are various tire stores you can call. I happen to be partial to Allied Tire.
  • sentra1sentra1 Member Posts: 1
    07 Acura TL - Is there anyway to turn off the day time running lights on this car? I think it's a safety/security issue to not be able to turn off these lights when you don't want to be noticed, especially at night when just idling waiting on someone.
  • bt06bt06 Member Posts: 32
    Say folks I'm leasing an 07 TL which I love EXCEPT for the damned subwoofer. I am a music lover so the vehicle's system is extremely important to me. I mainly use my iPod in the car and I get an extreme rattling from the subwoofer even at lower volumes (when I say low I mean like 3 or 4). It doesn't happen all the time but when it does it's very annoying. My bass is set to C and so is the subwoofer when I can stand it, however, I still end up turning the subwoofer down to like -3 or -4 to reduce the rattling when it starts. Turning it off seams to leave a void in the sound. I've tried different cords and adapters thinking it was the iPod's sound level. Even bought a line level output for the iPod all to no avail. Then I try the CD player and have the same friggin problem.

My issue is that if I have to turn it all the way down why have it? Has anyone else had this issue??? If so please tell me how it was resolved, does the subwoofer need to be replaced?
    I don't think there is a way to turn those off, sorry.
    Actually I found a fix for my subwoofer problem...just in case anyone reads this in the future with the same issue. Apparently the iPod's output levels are pretty high and a bit too much for the car's system. So here's an easy fix... once you're in iTunes select the Music icon for your iPod. Then select all songs and right click, select the option Get Info. Click through the prompt and go into the Get Info screen. Once here look for the volume control, it will be a sliding scale. Drop the scale back one level and click ok. It'll take a few minutes to apply the settings but you will notice little difference in sound quality and you will actually be able to use the subwoofer w/o the annoying rattle. This is especially important if you listen to a lot of bass heavy music. The only catch is you'll have to update the new songs you import or buy on a regular basis.

I did try the Sound Check feature but the subwoofer still rattled. The solution above has allowed me to really enjoy the sound system fully.
  • copter47copter47 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same issues but not only with an MP3 player but with all sources of music. Like you said it's not all the time but generally when you least expect it. I went to Best Buy where they installed a rubber mat to reduce vibrations however that did not help. What I ened up doing and had no idea this would work was I installed a seperate amp for all speakers minus the subwoofer, then installed a seperate subwoofer in the trunk with another amp just for that...volla....I can crank it all the way up with ZERO buzz or vibration noises.
    The main amp controls all speakers including the factory amp minus the sub in t trunk.