Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• mkmcmkmc Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 99 DSII with 32K miles - Florida truck - I live in Detroit. I've gone through most of the Board - great info. Q: What should I have checked right off? Valves, leaks, trans, etc...? Please assist with this and any other newbie-type general advice you have on this MY - thanks a ton!
  • slantnose1slantnose1 Member Posts: 2
    Does Anyone Out There Have Or Has Has A Problem With The Drivers Seat( Or Pass) Seat Just Stoped Working. All Elec. Just Stopped. No Heat, No Movement. I Have Checked The Fueses Under The Seat, Swapped Out The Directional Switch With The Pass Side And Still No Luck. I Am Afraid To Take It To The Dealer As They Will Go To Town Trying To "Find" The Problem At $120.00 Canadain / Hour....
    if Anyone that has Had The Same Issue Could Respond , it would help allot.

thanks
  • slantnose1slantnose1 Member Posts: 2
    Can Anyone Help With The Issue Of The 3 Lights On The Dash Staying On . Abs, Traction And Incline Lights Seem To Come On And Off?? Dealer Has No Idea Why , It Was A "Guess Repair". The Airbag Light Was Coming On From The Seat Belt Clip , Then That Was Changed , now This Happned, Then The Seat Power?? Am I In For A Day To Day Problem With This Truck.. My Wife Already Hates This Truck .....Help

i have seen details on line about cleaning the fuse panel, is this both the interior and engine bay together? take each fuse out and clean them or better to replace each fuse and clean the contacts inside?? The electrical problem wiht our drivers seat is the biggest problem , it is stuck now forward, no power??

can anyone help ???

was there a recall for the ABS issue??? :lemon:
  • nhveedubnhveedub Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 w/ 58k miles and am having the same problem. Did you ever find an answer as to why the blinkers will not work in cold weather until the car warms up? I have noticed that if I am turning the steering while, I can sometimes get the blinkers to 'click' into blinking once I find the sweet spot... but that's not something you can do in traffic :confuse:

Any ideas anyone? Don't really wanna pay LR to diagnose that one ~
  • delcadelca Member Posts: 1
    "The 3 Lights: abs, Traction And Incline Lights."

I had the same problem with my wife's Disco II. The dealer calls it an ABS sensor problem, needing replacement of both wheel sensors. I would also suspect a problem with worn out brake pads. Good luck!
  • petedisc01petedisc01 Member Posts: 7
    My service engine light has come on at 39k miles and the diagnosics said it could be O2 sensor, air valve, 4th gear ratio too high. Also, when I put the truck into R from P, the rear-end has a clicking sound sometimes. And from R to D, when initially rolling forward, it will sometimes click. Any ideas? 02 Disc II Thanks ya'll!
  • lr2002lr2002 Member Posts: 5
    Need some assitance to wire lights to the existing oem switches in passenger compartment. I have a 2002 LR Discovery II. I think I might need a guide.

Diehard DIY'er :P
  • peteratbeppeteratbep Member Posts: 2
    After rolling a new 2003 Grand Cherokee a couple of years ago I've leapt into the world of Land Rover with great enthusiasm. A never forgotten fraction of a second when realizing I was being let down by that vehicle, the hope is that with this Disco II will be more intuitive - and communicate impending roll overs BEFORE it's too late. The 330 km drive home from the GM dealer where I found this Disco II reflected the whole new sensation of security Land Rover exudes. I am really thrilled. Original owners maintained it religiously as disclosed by the original LR Dealer. Hope to become an active participant in this also newly discovered forum. With 8 inches of fresh snow and drifts, (17 percent grades on snow covered ice...piece of cake with HDC) the Disco II arrived home really showing its strengths.

** Has anyone had problems with windshield wiper arm tension (springs)??
  • jkmewrightjkmewright Member Posts: 11
    I recently had my 01 SE7 serviced and front brakes changed, separately. I noticed that I had no heat in the seats, no compass, and the lighter is not working. This could have happened at either service as it was in a 2 week time frame and I just did not notice. Any ideas? I had the fuses checked and they appear good. After an $800 routine maintenance job, I am terrified to go within 20 miles of the dealership! Any ideas? Also, I have the worst time getting the jump seats "up". They refuse to release. :confuse: Thanks!
  • wessexwyvernwessexwyvern Member Posts: 1
    Unfortunately, I don't have the answer but I do have the same problem with my 2001 SE with 68K miles. I have had the vehicle a couple of years and this problem only became apparent during this Winter. The indicators will not work until the engine is at normal operating temperature. My problem is compounded by similar trouble with the wipers. The intermitant and continuous wiper settings will not work at all until the engine has reached normal operating temperature.

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.
  • riroverrirover Member Posts: 5
    I think I may have had a small electrical fire inside my Rover this morning! I have been having a little trouble cranking the car over the last couple of weeks when its cold. When I turn the key, all of the electrical stuff inside the car comes on as it should and I hear the starter clicking, but I have to do this about 15 times before the car cranks up. Well, this morning after about 15 turns of the key, I noticed an awful smell - smelled like burnt hair - and I noticed that some very light smoke was wafting out of my center console between the seats. Anybody experienced anything like this? If I get the starter replaced should I be all set? Its a Series I ('98) with about 107k miles on it.
  • jkmewrightjkmewright Member Posts: 11
    Clicking sound... I had the same when shifting into/out of gear, this lasted 1-2 weeks, then it started clicking as I drove. I don't know if this fits your situation, but mine turned out to be a bad drive shaft @ 68k miles to the tune of app. $800 when repaired by dealer. Good luck!
  • borntoburnborntoburn Member Posts: 1
    I had problems with the door latches on my '95 Disco last year. Sometimes doors would not open... or even worse, refused to stay closed. The power door locks on some doors would sometimes stick, refusing to lock or unlock without using a key. The problems were intermittent, usually occuring during extremely cold or wet weather.

Since the problems mostly seemed to happen when it was wet or cold, I had a hunch that the problem was with the lubrication of the door latches and the locking mechanisms. I thoroughly sprayed the door latches with WD-40. I also used WD-40 to lubricate the all the links and moving parts connected to the power door locks. (This requires removal of the interior door panels to provide access to the door lock mechanisms) Since lubricating the latches and locks, my door problems have disappeared. Proof once again that WD-40, like duct tape, is a life saver.
  • cham1989cham1989 Member Posts: 5
    Did you find out if there were any problems with the 03..

I'm thinking of buying a disco, but I'm a little nervous nothing postive about the car.
    I would like to know the same question. Did you find out if they're that bad? I really would like to purchase a disco, but not sure now..
    Need help I'm thinking of buying a 02, or 03 disco. Are they has bad as they say...Nothing positive about the vech. everything is negative.
  • brettpbrettp Member Posts: 5
    Just drive one and you will know why people love them. My wife had a 98' when we began dating. It is probably one of the many reasons that I married her. Two kids and a dog later we just bought an 04' The cost of ownership can be high but they are fun to drive. They are cool and quirky. If you want average and safe then buy a Honda Accord. If you want fun, comfortable and interesting then buy a Disco. My only reccomendation is that you buy one from a dealership and that you get one with a warranty. Most newer Discos from the dealership are certified and come with a warranty to 75,000 miles.

Hope this helps,
    THANKS BRETT,

You just made my day...I really want a Disco, and now I feel much better. Its' funny I have a 02 Honda CRV and yes it's safe, but it's not fun...

Thanks Again
  • brettpbrettp Member Posts: 5
    It will cost you a good deal more in gas as well. That is my only regret with the vehicle. Rover reccomends premium fuel and my Disco maybe gets 15 miles to the gallon if that. Regardless, I love driving the vehicle and it is worth the extra money to me.

Good luck and let me know what you do!
  • peteratbeppeteratbep Member Posts: 2
    Referring to my first message (#4478-March 12,'06), I replaced the wiper arm and blade with new parts and the same issue of improper tension on the glass remained, resulting in uncleared glass on each swipe right in the line of sight. Has anyone had this problem? I have improvised by wrapping double sided rubber tape on the U shaped plastic guide clip at its bottom where the blade rests (and seats for supposed even tension on the winsdshield. Am hopeful that this will provide a lasting adjustment to provide safe wiper operation. Baffling little annoyance fixed...

The ETC (Traction Control) performs in a way that I do not
    believe is 'as designed'. I was able to test its performance thoroughly the other day by positioning the vehicle (unable to move forward) on a slippery/grass & snow/ice covered incline, in LOW and 1st (in manual mode)and idling at about 600 rpm. Alone, I actually walked around the driverless vehicle while in gear and observed the ETC clicking as it does diverting power to find traction. IT would only spin on the drivers side, and not divert to the right side....although both front and rear were spinning on the drivers side. I realise that there are a myriad of issues at play here...does anyone have a full proof way to verify that the ETC is operating properly....other than going to Land Rover themselves?
  • lrtxlrtx Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 LR Disco II. The transmission was rebuilt about 2 months ago.. the problem is that it won't go into gear. Whenever I put it on DRIVE the car will not move unless I go about 3000 RPM.. it will jerk and I have to press the brake! It does the same thing on REVERSE. It will not back up until I get it up to about 3000 RPM. I have spoken to my mechanic, left there.. and he checked everything out. At first he said that it was low on transmission fluid. I got the vehicle back but a couple of days later it started doing it again. I took it once again, supposely they took the whole transmission out and redid everything. It was ok for the first day and now its doing it again. The car feels find, its just that problem of it not going into gear. Can anyone HELP me out?!
    I purchased an 02 not too long ago and love it. Although I did have a to replace all rotors and pads to the tune of $1300.00 at land rover. Ouch, but worth it. They are very choice and a much better design than the new LR3. I feel the LR3 style has moved to far from land rovers roots.

Chris
    This sounds as if something is slipping big time, that is all I can say, but post whatever you finally figure out what it is.
  • lrtxlrtx Member Posts: 2
    I forgot to mention that the D, M, S light will flash whenever this happens. Could this an electrical problem??
    Does anyone know of a shop in San Antonio, Texas that will install a DAP A Bar for me, cheap? (aside from Land Rover) Help!!!
  • lightcahilllightcahill Member Posts: 22
    If I am not mistaken, the 2003 was the first year of the "BMW inspired" Disco. As such, it seems to be a more trouble free truck than some earlier model years. One benefit is that it has the 4.6 liter V-8, formerly used in the Range Rover. It's no tiger, but it has more HP and torque than prior Disco engines.

We have 35,000 miles on our 2003, and have had virtually trouble-free driving all the way. On a just completed trip through NM, AZ, UT and CO we averaged 16.37 mpg. Lots of highway driving, but also lots of city driving in traffic clogged Mesa/Phoenix.

We ran into snow, lots of neat off-road trails, and high mountain passes. The Disco managed to handle them all. Also, quite comfortable for us for all day driving, which I would not have expected when we bought the truck new in 2003.

Land Rovers are not for everyone, but if you appreciate the capabilities that a Disco offers, you should get many enjoyable go-anywhere miles out of one.

Pete.
  • pr0fessorpr0fessor Member Posts: 1
    Interesting. My 2004 made clicking noises the day I got it brand new. I now have 10,000 miles on the odometer and I have just gotten it back from the Landrover repair. It has just received its 4th new engine! Can you imagine. 10K miles and four engines.
    Was your clicking sound from the rear? very faint single popping sound when putting into reverse or forward from a stand-still?? 4th engine...i'd look into state lemon laws...you may get a brand-new truck!
  • mnrovermnrover Member Posts: 52
    I had the same issue with the lights blinking and the amount it took to get the truck moving after that. Like the problem I had, sounds like your tranny could be defaulting into the "limp home" safety mode as the computer senses a problem. In my 99 Disco II, after four alternators, and numerous trips to the LR dealer, LR diagnosed my a problem as electrical surges causing the computer to trip and default into the safety mode. I can certainly tell you what else happened - But it would be a long post to go through all the electrical issues I had. After four alternators, they finally traced the blinking lights and lack of acceleration back to an electrical surge/signal from the climate control unit. They also pulled my tranny and were about to install a brand new one, but ended up not after finally finding the problem. They fixed the problem by suppressing the electrical signal from the climate control unit. As of 3 years ago, no issues. I love my Rover, wouldn't trade it for anything. Good Luck!
  • flopnutflopnut Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking for advice about buying a used discoII. I found 2: a '99 w/59k and an '02 SD w/66K for about $12K/each. The '99 appears to have been a grocery getter and came here from Canada. The '02 was in a collision in 2003 that knocked the left front wheel clear off. The local dealer wasn't too forthcoming with anything more than what I found on carfax even though they know both vehicles well. Any advice would be appreciated as I've always wanted a Rover but just can't afford $25k for a certified used one. Thanks in advance.
    just be sure they received routine service...with all landrovers...service and upkeep is the key. they are highly expensive to fix...$120/hr...and that's just the labor. Watch out for any corrosion from the salt in canada. look underneath. also, be prepared for the fuel mileage...they are mightly thirsty!!! all-in-all..great vehicles and fun to drive, but get the one that's in the best shape and had great service done to it. If the '02 was fixed properly...i'd probably go with it...but if you can't get a detailed report of what was damanged...RUN!!!
  • flopnutflopnut Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Pete!
    The '02's service record seems a bit sloppy which is probably why it ended up where it is though the collision work was done at the Rover's conglomerate shop (they're a multi-marque dealership.)
    I'm waiting to see the '99. It's at the rover dealer having work done and I haven't looked at it yet. We'll see.
    By the way, most of urban Canada doesn't use road salt but we do here in Buffalo.
    Thanks
  • vanfan3vanfan3 Member Posts: 4
    I had the "all the lights problem" and that was finally fixed by having the ABS Modulator replaced under warranty. Now I have the problem with seatpower on the passenger side. I have replaced the fuse twice and the fuse lasts for a few minutes and then goes. Any other advice on seat electrics out there?? and are people finding it is linked to the "all the lights "problem"
    :confuse: I am having some trouble getting the three hellas lite on my cargo rack. I am running all three off a relay to come on with my highbeams. All my wiring seems correctly in place. I even switched out the relay to check if that was problem. Any suggestions?

Chris
    02 discovery II
  • leftcoast2leftcoast2 Member Posts: 13
    04'Disco @ $21,900 wow! I haven't seen them cheaper than $28,000 here on the west coast. I would have one at that price.

Joe
    Wow that is cheap for a '04. I live on the East Coast (Philadelphia, Pa)and I would truly have one at the price.
  • pbroverpbrover Member Posts: 43
    Yes you are mistaken. 1999 DII was the first year of the BMW inspired Disco II. The larger engine is the same engine that was in previuos year Range Rovers. Also, it's the same engine in previous year Disco's, but bored out for me displacment :P
  • pbroverpbrover Member Posts: 43
    I own a DII and an LR3. In regards to design, are you refereing to capability or physical design. In regards to desgin yes the Disco II is more masculine looking. In regards to functionaility and off-road ability the LR3 wins hands down. :blush:
  • ckkabckkab Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone....im new to the forum, im looking at purchasing a 2002 disco II se (westminster edition).....

Love the vehicle looks and ride, and have come to terms with the gas situation.....

Would love information from anyone who has knowledege of the discovery's regarding service/mech problems.

The one im looking at buying is from a local dealer, it has 90,000 kilometers.....very clean----$25,000 (canadian)

They offer a warranty......2 years or 60,000kl for 3,500...

I not sure how much the "westminster package" is worth, but apparently they are not readily available....?

Anyway, im on the fence with this purchase...i presently own a honda accord (great gas....no mech problems)....but having a 40th b-day this year, and just kinda want the land rover.....

Any advice either pro/con would be greatly appreciated....

kb
  • justiceskjusticesk Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone this is my first time on this site. I have a 00 disco 2 start overheating after a couple of miles. Dealer put new head gaskets, thermostat etc. can't figure out still the same problem. Temp goes high in red when you drive not while you are parked and engine is running. Dealer says he checked everything, but he wanted me to trade. Did not trust him as I caught them lying about my piston sleeve had dropped they said originally. Car runs very smooth, but over heats and coolant boils over.
    Any suggestions. Thanks.
    How many miles? I have a 99 Disco II w/71000 on the clock - just replaced the water pump, thermostat, all coolant hoses and new serpentine belt. My radiator was also leaking as well. I was able to get the radiator fixed for $105 (saved me from having to lay down $700 for a new radiator!!). Sounds like your auxiliary cooling fan on the front of your radiator is able to move air through the radiator when parked. With the air flow going through the radiator at cruising speeds, kind of odd that it is overheating then and not when parked. Have you had them check your viscous coupler? It is triggered by heat. I've heard that they wear out and can cause problems. Just my $.02. Good Luck
  • sandy45sandy45 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Disc II continues to have problems with the back end sinking - yes, I do believe I have the self leveling stuff and air suspension. I have taken this back to the dealer (bad mistake) several times - perhaps 4 times over the last couple of years.

Is there a final fix for this? The dealer seems to do the same thing and I continue to have issues.
    A couple aftermarket companies have conversion kits that swaps out your rear air suspension and allows you to install springs. - Costs can be between $200 - $300. I will be purchasing one of these kits this Spring. Good Luck!
  • macc24macc24 Member Posts: 20
    Just replaced my thermostat...now the Disco wants to overheat at about 15 min into any drive. I replaced it according to the shop manual since I was working on a few other things at the same time too. ( Yes, I know, always take a picture...)

My question...does the Y connector that is on an angle marked "pump" with an up arrow actually go to the pump or is the shop manual correct. Can someone look under their functioning Disco's hood and tell me (or take a picture and post it).

Thanks.
    Anyone had experience using thermal wrap on their headers? Does it really reduce temperature under the hood?
    Anyone have problems with their Bank1 & Bank2 showing Lean on diagnosis? Which Oxygen Sensors did you change? Any info would be a great help!
  • justiceskjusticesk Member Posts: 3
    I have the same kind of problem in my 00 discovery. replaced thermostat, head gaskets at the dealer. Cost me a lot. Dealer tried telling me engine is bad. Make a trade or replace the engine. I choose to take the vehicle somewhere else. Still the same problem. It overheats when you drive about 2 miles. Does not overheat when parked and running.
    Can't believe that the engine could be bad, because it runs smooth until it overheats.
    Any suggestions
  • metairie_lametairie_la Member Posts: 8
    Can you get away with putting mid grade fuel if all your driving will be in town?
    Generally, the front two O2 sensors are the first to go. I replaced both of mine. Took about 30 minutes. Talked to a LR Mechanic, rarely do they replace the back two sensors.
  • rover_usarover_usa Member Posts: 24
    No.

From what I understand the higher octane is necessary to ensure the engine does not become fouled.

It is also a good idea to use fuel supplements to ensure your engine is kept clean.

That is if you really care about your LR and want to keep it long term...if you are leasing or just don't plan to keep it, you can probably get away with it.

But I would certainly recommend against it.