Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MX-5 Miata (2006 and Newer)

Comments

• manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    If this is a year round car - then the HT is the way to go in the Boston area.

If not - the inventory is up for the 06s. Double what I have seen since May. So it may be possible to pick up a GT for 23K right now. Also, the 06s have a 4-year versus the 07's 3-year warranty. Pay less - get more.

If I was going to spend $32K on one of these babies - I would hold out for a Mazdaspeed version. But in the meantime the ragtop GT can keep you happy until such a car exists.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Also, the 06s have a 4-year versus the 07's 3-year warranty. Pay less - get more.

The 2007 warranty also includes a 5yr-60K engine power train warranty, as opposed to 2006 of 4yr-50.
  • franhalpfranhalp Member Posts: 3
    My experience trying to open the roof in a showroom for about 20 min. I am a small woman with short arms & I could not open the roof as hard as I tried. The saleswomen also had a difficult time. My arms ached & I gave up & did not buy the car. I was told that an automatic roof will be available in Nov. with a substantial increase in the price of the car. I am not sure that I will wait & see. Still looking at other cars.
  • gputzgputz Member Posts: 49
    Sounds like you were not getting much help. Once you release the main latch at the top of the windshield, you can almost push the roof back over the seats with one finger. Either something was wrong with this particular car or the salesperson was not sure how to work the latch.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Yeah sounds like either a defective top or an idiot salesperson.

The price hike on the motorized hardtop is not substantial at all. It's less than $1800.
    CX-7, Miata Highlights Mazda’s July
    Mazda reported sales of 25,963 vehicles for July, accounting for a five percent increase over the same period last year. Sales of the all-new CX-7 crossover SUV reached 2,129 units, while the MX-5 Miata posted its best July since 2000 with sales of 1,565 units.

http://www.aiada.org/newsroom/newsDetails.aspx?id=57208
    Just for some updated info on availability.

So far, I have been only allocated 2. I do not see this vehicle being in huge supply. More or less a nitch vehicle with low production numbers, similar to the Mazdaspeed3.
    What's the word on the MS3? October? November? I really want to get rid of my 330i and a Mazdaspeed3 or Mazda MX5 RHT would make me happier than going back to VW (the only other contender at this moment).
    What's the word on the MS3? October? November?

That sounds about right. My first allocated MS3 has been asigned a VIN, so, that car is about 8 weeks or so away.
    I received news that I will be getting my first MX-5 PRHT GT next week! It is currently at the port in NJ. It is True Red with black leather. I can't wait.

I will post once I try it out!
  • slices17slices17 Member Posts: 35
    Does anyone know when the Ibuki will be available?
    Just rolled off the truck, our 1st MX-5 PRHT in True Red, Grand Touring. Really nice car. As soon as it is PDI'ed, I will post on how the top works.
    Nice...thanks
    Subject says it all. The top retracts quite quickly. Very impressed.

There is still a release trigger, identical to the regular soft top MX-5, on the top. Press "release", and open the latch. To lower, and raise the top, you must hold down the respective button, "top up" or "top down".

The seals on the top when up seems to be a nice fit.

This car kinda looks like a mini RX-7, or a mini Lexus SC430
  • atomicdogatomicdog Member Posts: 2
    I just happened to be in the market for a new car. My son talked me out of my beloved Honda Del Sol for his college transportation. The Honda Del Sol was also a convertible hardtop but it was a manual process and required one to get out of the car and put the top in the trunk. They stopped making the Del Sol in 1997. So I shopped for a suitable replacement and there were none. My criteria was, convertible hardtop that was not a pain to remove and put on, good on gas, 2 seats, reliable, small and simple.
    I looked at the Mercedes Benz SLK 280, Lexus SC430. I even searched some larger 4 seat cars, Volvo s40, Pontiac G6. All of these are retractable hardtops but all failed my criteria in one or more areas.
    Just when I had given up all hope I heard a rumor that Mazda was putting a power retractable hardtop on the MX-5. The Mazda Miata is why Honda created the Del Sol and I had often wondered why the Miata didn't have a hardtop that didn't require a mechanic to install.
    Well, I have been waiting since June to hear an actual test drive or test top to confirm that this is the car for me. I was not sure if Mazda would beef up the suspension to handle the extra weight or if it would it be necessary to order the suspension package to better handle the weight, even if it is not a great increase in weight. I also wanted to know if this was an electric or hydraulic system. Hydraulic systems tend to leak and I feel are less reliable. So I am glad Mazda went with electric motor.
    By the way, I want a hardtop because I park outside , in the Arizona sun, and cloth or vinyl just does not stand up well under the relentless UV downpour we receive here.
    I ordered one as soon as Mazda announced them at the British car show in July or August. So when can I expect to recieve mine? Will it take longer because it wes ordered? How does it look??? :shades:
    I ordered one as soon as Mazda announced them at the British car show in July or August. So when can I expect to receive mine? Will it take longer because it wes ordered? How does it look???

Typical time is 16-18 weeks from time is ordered to delivery. However, if you reserved one that was already allocated to the dealer, it may be sooner.

The car looks great. Should be a very good seller. The top is relatively silent, and quick. The choice of an electric motor was the smart thing to do.

The top breaks into 4 pieces. The roof separates from the side and rear structure, and then the rear window recesses from the rear/side structure. Then there is the back cap, of which the rear break light is mounted, that raises up, then lowers back to position once the top is fully up or down.
  • driverightdriveright Member Posts: 91
    I stopped by my local Mazda dealer this afternoon to ask some questions about the new 2007 Miata PRHT and they had just gotten one. It was a Grand Touring 6-speed manual at $27k MSRP including delivery. The salesman couldn't wait to have me take it out.

The power hardtop is very easy and quick. With the top up highway sounds are nicely muffled, but the engine is louder than in a typical sedan. The ride at speed was very stable. When we got off the highway and put the top down, it handled solidly around my suburban streets. I took a hard turn to make a power-slide, but it felt forced, probably because of the 17-inch wheels. (The salesman had just learned how to drive a stick as a condition of getting his job, and he was loving it!)

The test-drive was fun and the car is impressive, but I'm not planning to buy it. It would be a great replacement for my 1996 first generation 5-speed Miata, but not until I feel like growing up (now 55 and counting).
  • erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    Hadn't driven the 06, so this was my first NC. A nice car. Lot more solid than my 93. Not as raw, but not too refined. Hard top is easy to use. Solid car top down and more solid top up. I can see picking one of these up eventually (used), to replace my 93 with. I think it will become a pretty popular model for Mazda over the next couple of years.
  • rahimrahim Member Posts: 8
    Just brought one home today. Copper red, 6M. Seattle roadnoise was excessive, but once off battered I-5, I could appreciate the nice exhaust growl.

I love this car.

Will post a follow up after running it a few hundred miles.

RD.
  • brake4me1brake4me1 Member Posts: 18
    I am looking to buy a MX-5 Miata in the near future with retractable hard top. I am going with the grand touring package with 6 speed manual. My question to forum members is, does anyone feel it is necessary to spend $450 to $500 for the suspension package upgrade? Will the Miata really handle that much different/better with the upgrade?

I don't plan on taking the Miata out in bad weather/snow/heavy rain so I'm not really sure the limited slip differential is of great benefit. The upgrade to Bilstein shocks and tuned suspension seems a little pricey for $500.

In any case I guess Miata drivers of 06 and 05 models (maybe older) will have some input on this subject.

Brake4me
    If you're spending the money on the grand touring, at least get the suspension package, or get premium package #1 with limited slip. You'll like the limited slip in light rain, or any slippery conditions.

$500 is a good deal for the suspension package. There are aftermarket lowering springs out there which will make your Miata handle better, but for most folks the suspension package is fine.

Me, I want a silver PRHT Sport with suspension package.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Congratulations, rahim! Hope to read more about your first impressions in our Mazda MX-5: New Drivers' Reports topic too :-)

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• rahimrahim Member Posts: 8
    Brake4me,

The premium packages require the suspension package, and doesn't come with out it. One of the reasons I got the 6M was, that it was the only way to get the limited slip differential - and ofcourse that I love manual trannys! Reason enough for the suspension package.

I paid close to MSRP for mine. 28400 including the colored splash guards (don't know if I am going to use them - they are in the mail as they had to be special ordered), and wheel locks. There were a few dealers offering second stickers thousands more than MSRP, but I think I got a pretty good deal, considering I bought it over the phone the day it arrived on the lot - one of the first ones sold in Seattle. (Probably would have gotten a better deal if I had waited but the color was right, and I didn't want to lose it).

Rahim.
    Not sure about the option package breakouts for '07 but the limited slip might be nice for rain conditions since the rears on my '06 can spin on exuberant starts. But I think that better overall tires (say a Dunlop SP MAXX) would be a better cure for your weather condition use. IMO - the OEM Michelins on my GT could be grippier even in dry conditions. I have Michelin PSs on my other car and I rarely light up the traction control. I hear the Bilsteins are a rough ride.
    Decided to give in to my mid-life crisis and bought a MX-5 with retractable hard top yesterday. I got the Grand Touring package with 6 speed manual and added the suspension upgrade as an option. For $25,997 I think I did OK (before tag, tax, title, etc.)

Most dealers would not give me a price quote over the internet, so I wonder if that is due to a new model coming out or dealer price quotes are not that common over the internet? The few dealers I did see wanted to sell the MX-5 PRHT at sticker price but I found one that actually gave me a very fair offer. I don't mind waiting for early 07 to get this baby since winter time in DC is not the greatest time to have the top down on your car. Most dealers do not even have the retractable hard top model to test drive or even on the display floor. My guess is once this new 07 Miata get more press, seen on the street and highway and displayed in dealership orders will take off.

As far as I am concerned, you can't beat the price you pay for what your get. BMW, Porsche, even Nissan sports cars all cost a great deal more and even though the MX-5 is priced thousands less, the quality is still there. Now the question is will Mazda hold firm on current prices or start to raise base prices as the new car season starts to open up.
    Congrad's on your new hard top

I have sold my only 2 for full list. No haggling by either customer, both just happy to have the opportunity to purchase one.
    Congats! About $1500 off sticker. You might find lower prices this winter as demand drops. (I assume you can cancel your order.) I've never had any problem getting Mazda's below invoice. Just have to wait a bit for initial demand to die off.
    I believe my deposit check is just being held and will not be cashed out, per dealer. I think the MX-5 PRHT might actually be a good selling car for Mazda dealers since there are so few retractable hard tops on the market. I do know if you want to order one with a lot of bells and whistles you will have to wait quite a while for it to be built and shipped.

The only two draw backs I've seen (and mentioned by other members) is the poorly laid out CD storage holder in between seats and possibly coffee holders. Since I have not driven test driven the hard top version it will be interesting to see how much outside noise is reduced by the hard top versus the soft top. I'm not crazy about wind noise and I understand that might not be a problem while driving under 75 MPH. Anyway thanks for your message.
    I think it will be a good seller for Mazda too. Supply will catch up with demand though. Hard to say when...

My attitude about Mazda has always been... if you pay more than invoice, you're paying too much. I have two Mazda's now... they are a good car company.

Nice to see Mazda finally updated their website with 07's.
    Sirius is currently having issues broadcasting to some Mazda Sirius sat radio tuners. You will get the message "UPDATING" flash across the head units LCD panel.
  • stopandgostopandgo Member Posts: 4
    I was wondering if anyone has ever ordered sound insulation attached to the Miata front hood to diminish engine noise. I would think this would be practical and easy to do, but am not sure if you can factory order this, or have it installed at the dealership when the MX-5 comes in.

I would think the hood insulation would be a great help on a soft top MX-5, but also on the retractable. I have no idea the clearance space between the hood and engine but I assume there is enough space for insulation.

MX-5 engines seem to rev a little high in low gears and I was just wondering if extra sound proofing might help? All answers welcomed.
    No. Could do a homemade job, but not sure how much it would help. Really isn't worth the effort. Engine noise is part of the Miata charm. Miata is not a good long distance cruiser, but I've taken 4,000 mile trips in my NA with no issues. By comparison, the NC would feel like a luxury car.

You can wear earplugs for long drives. (I don't.) Most folks adjust.
  • vessadinivessadini Member Posts: 2
    I am in the process of purchasing an 07 Grand Touring. I have a simple question that I need answered by someone here and not a salesman. Are the stock roll bars functional? I don't mean SCCA road racing functional, just are they anything more than decoration? I'm not for sure why it is important to me but I just want to know.

By the way, this will be my first roadster in many years (it has been a long time since my barely running TR-4 got me around in high school). Between my wife and I we have owned 7 Mazdas with three in the driveway right now.
    I was wondering if it is possible to track the status of a new Mazda being built in Japan? Kind of like tracking a UPS delivery I assume, but I'm not sure how you go about it. Once an order has been placed can the buyer get a tracking number from the dealer and then go on-line to Mazda to check on the status? It would be nice to see if a pre-ordered MX-5 is on schedule and narrow down a future shipment date.
  • mx5mk3mx5mk3 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I have just received my MX5 NC a month ago, and 10 days after driving it, found a rattling noise on the driveshaft when the car is driven in low revs. I called the dealer on 2 separate occations and after 2 inspections, the answer I got was "IT IS A NORMAL NOISE ON ALL 3 GENERATIONS OF MX5s". I have been looking up this "noise" in many MX5 forums but haven't found such a NORMAL noise. Can anyone shed some light on this? THX!
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Did the service department drive the car with you along to point out the specific noise/vibration? I would try another dealer and make sure they hear/feel exactly what your describing....the problem doesnt sound normal to me.
  • mx5mk3mx5mk3 Member Posts: 2
    my original deal drove it and gave the "normal noise" comment. i went to another dealer who also drove it, and he commented that he hears the noise, but when he checked the car he couldn't find the cause. :(
  • sportscar_fansportscar_fan Member Posts: 3
    Advantages: Affordable roadster which has everything that you will expect from a this type of car. Drives nicely and is cheap to run.

Disadvantages: Unacceptable performance and it could have more standard goodies.

Verdict: Basic, but well priced and genuinely fun roadster.

Also consider: Opel GT, Pontiac Solstice.

Source:http://www.car-catalog.com/sports_cars/mazda_mx_5.htm

What dou you think about that roadster? Please comment!
  • podracer999podracer999 Member Posts: 8
    Hi Folks. I've been considering getting a Miata for a while now. I took a GT PRHT 6M for a test drive a few days ago and loved it. The dealer and I couldn't agree on a price though, so I didn't buy it. (Since the PRHT are relatively rare, the dealer wasn't very willing to budge on the asking price.) It was hard walking away tho.

(As an aside, I haven't driven a car with a manual transmission in about 5 years. The clutch take-up on the Miata is AWESOME! I was able to drive pretty smoothly right away. I did miss a couple of shifts though. But it wasn't bad at all.)

These past couple of days, I've been thinking about getting a regular soft top instead of the PRHT. Still a Grand Touring 6M though. But I have a bunch of questions that have come to mind since the test drive. I'd rather get answers from folks on here instead of from the salesman at the car dealership. Any help would be appreciated.

- Do the windows automatically move down slightly when you open the doors (while the top is up) to clear the seals or whatever? (As an aside, I rented one of the new Ford Mustangs, a hard top, that did this. I found it to be quite strange.)

- Do the windows automatically move down slightly when you lower and raise the top? The PRHT did this automatically and I'm wondering if the regular soft top does it too.

- Is there a switch to disable traction control and/or stability control? Probably not something I'd do often, but I'd like to know that I could if I wanted/needed to.

- Is there a dimmer knob or something to adjust the brightness of the dash lights at night?

- Does the stereo have an AUX input that you can plug a regular plug (3.5mm?) into? If so, where is it located?

- Does the car have a coin holder? If so, where is it located? (Is it that weird indented plastic piece that looks like it's snapped in above the shifter? If that's not the coin holder, anyone know what it is?)

- I've read that in place of a spare tire, Mazda provides some tire sealant and a small electric air compressor. Is this correct?

- Has anyone driven a car with the suspension package AND a car with the run-flat tires? If so, how did they compare? Does the suspension package make a big difference in handling and/or ride? According to the Mazda website, you can't have both. So I'm trying to decide on suspension package vs. peace of mind, if the spare tire question above is correct.

- Can the wind blocker be removed and/or pushed down when the top is up? (It sort of looked like it was hinged in the PHRT, but I'm not sure.)

I'm sure I'll have more questions. But I think that's enough for now. Thanks in advance. :D
  • gputzgputz Member Posts: 49
    The miata.net forums are a better place for research like this. Most of these questions have already been asked and answered over there...

http://forum.miata.net/
    Second miata.net... great for Miata Q&A.

Soft top should be a much better deal, although it is convertible season so dealers may not be as willing to budge. I've driven the PRHT and like it too. I'll probably replace my 93 with one in 3-4 years. Of course, I'll buy used.

I've seen recent weekend ad prices $5000-$6000 off MSRP for the 07 GT's. If you don't own a Mazda now, but have a relative who does, they may have a $500-$1000 owner loyalty rebate that can be signed over to you.

I'm pretty sure the windows don't move with the manual soft top. Not an issue with the soft top. Just unlatch and drop. Top up is about as easy, just pull up and attach the latch. All new cars have dimmer stitches for dash lights. I hate run flat tires. My advice... avoid them. Expensive, loud and a rough ride. Don't worry about the sealent in place of a spare. I don't carry a spare. Just fix-a-flat and AAA. Definitely go with the suspension package for the limited slip differential. I wouldn't buy any of the new Miata's without that package. (Looks like you can get limited slip with premium pkg #1.) Pretty sure wind blocker can be moved top up or down. BTW, I'm just getting to the point of needing to replace my original soft top on my 93. Pretty good for a 14-year old car.

Good luck. You'll have fun with the Miata.
  • gkoffgkoff Member Posts: 36
    Does anyone know how this differs from the standard suspension? Is it 10%, 50%...stiffer. You have to buy this with the Premium Package 2 group.
    What happened? Down 24% from July 2006. Is it supply or demand? I did notice local inventories are limited.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Around here it's been too hot. This week has been 90+ degrees every single day. We haven't seen rain since about a week ago.

It's just too hot!

:cry:

Except imagine that's sweat, not tears. ;)
  • destrydestry Member Posts: 58
    I have the new 2007 MX-5 in Brilliant Black Clearcoat with the 6 speed sportronic (automatic or manual) with the paddle shifters on the steering wheel to change the gears. I love EVERYTHING about this car and if your in the market for a dependable, fun roadster, then the Mazda MX-5 is for you... :shades:
    Iv'e been reading that Mazda has plans to introduce back from sabatical, the next Mazdaspeed MX-5 in late 2008. wohoo! Plans include using the 2.3L MZR Turbo!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That will make for one SICK roadster! Almost scary how fun that would be. Wow....