Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Land Cruiser Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• cotitocotito Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 LC PU W/ 1 HZ. Around 100,000 km. Heavy usage hauling coffee on a really bad road, four wheel chains. The right front swing arm perch came loose from the housing; and, I had it welded and made some straps to help bolster the attachment points. Is this housing tempered? Can I weld additional supports to the housing? Is this common and does Toyota know about it? No luck trying to contact them on the WEB.
  • steelcruisersteelcruiser Member Posts: 402
    Is this IFS or solid axle? If IFS, Toyota is aware of it and should handle it under warranty. OME makes a kit that is welded (I believe) in place to strengthen the area.
  • konnollykonnolly Member Posts: 1
    Just turned 100K, wife driving along and it began stalling at low speeds, she kept driving and it began to loose power and needed to be shifted into 2nd gear just to make it back to the house. What could this be? Any ideas? It has transmission fluid but appears to be a bit burnt. In idle and or in Neutral :confuse: the car runs but put it in gear and it stalls imediately. What does it cost to fix such a problem? Any advice would be appreciated
  • wifewtlcwifewtlc Member Posts: 1
    Little more to story above. I drove in second gear up a long hill to our home as it seemed to be lugging in the normal drive. Also seemed to lug in down hill dips unless in lower gear. Drove very well on freeway. Just kept stalling at stop signs and would require extra gas to go forward after starting it, then it would lunge forward almost as if it was in the wrong gear. I have just spoken to a Trans. Mech. he said it sounded like maybe a gear/problem or a rare possibility a Trans. problem where something he said that may not be a major transmission problem but something in the transmission needed repair.I forgot the exact thing he said. I was just thinking how great and dependable my TLC was -- Then minutes later this all started. I was very low on gas and a little low on oil when it all started. I put gas and mobil 1 in right away. It seemed fine at first then the problems started again almost worse. Please any ideas. It has been used alot in the dirt and some towing recently on a project. Could something be blocked, I read a blog about blocked air flow and gear shifting. Husband was :mad: at :cry: for taking it all the way home I tried to be gentle though.
  • bethgimelbethgimel Member Posts: 17
    I read some of the above posts which caution against a transmission fluid flush. Can you explain??

Also, I've heard that the fan clutch on the LC can be serviced, instead of replaced, but the dealership service manager told me he'd never heard of this. Should I trust him?

Can you recommend a good independent LC mechanic in the Palm Springs, CA area?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Two major reasons for not flushing your transmission are (1) it may void your warranty and (2) chemicals in the flush (detergents and so forth) can affect the operation of the transmission and lead to early failure.

I'm sure the experts here will have more to say about it.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • hypnosis44hypnosis44 Member Posts: 483
    I agree with the other poster; never use any chemicals to flush your transmission. The caustic nature of the chemicals can and will ruin the specially formulated rubber seals. Do change the fluid at least as regularly as the manual says you should. However, these days with rapid owner turnover of vehicles, change intervals are far longer than is healthy for the average transmission. Check with your dealer on more frequent changes, especially if you tow anything, or drive very aggressively, and then let them do the changing if it is outside the recommended interval.

Something else to remember is that heat is the number one enemy of the automatic transmission. If you are going to keep the car for a long time, invest in an auxiliary trans. fluid cooler, unless it it already has one, as in some years they were optional. Again, let the dealer install it - even though it will cost more.

With reasonably good care and regular fluid changes an automatic transmission can (and has for me) gone well over 200k miles without repair (or chemical flushes).

If the car is already out of warranty recommendations to have the dealer do anything I mentioned are moot - you can find a good independent LC mechanic to do the changes and install the cooler.
    Thanks hypnosis44 and tidester, for getting back to me so quickly! I'm sorry I didn't reply immediately to your posts.

How do I find a good independent LC mechanic? I live in a rural area, near Palm Springs, CA, but would be willing to travel as far as L.A. to find one. My LC is out of warranty, and I'm having trouble with the two Toyota dealerships in this locale. One already did a transmission flush at the 60k service a few years back. I recently called this service department and was told that they routinely do transmission flushes at every 30k interval. The other dealership told me that a transmission flush is "of course, better" than a simple drain-and-refill.

So, obviously, something is wrong here, right? I don't feel that I can trust either dealership, because of this misinformation. And there have been several other issues as well. I really want to keep this LC for a long time. If you can recommend anyone, please let me know!
    Another variation that will also work is to disconnect both transmission cooler lines (either at the transmission, or at the radiator). Attach rubber tubes to both lines. Put the intake tube into a large container of the exactly recommended fluid. Place the exhaust tube into an empty container, and run the car until new pink fluid starts coming out of the exhaust tube. Then button it back up, top it off, and your done.

If the car is still under warranty I would prefer to have the guys at the dealership take responsibility for any fluid changes though - that way they can only point fingers at themselves if something odd occurs.
    You can do a "cheap" flush, by draining the pan every other oil change. Also, this is a bit tricky, but you can drain the pan, add new fluid, then loosen the drain plug just enough to let some fluid barely seep out. With the engine running keep watching the seeping fluid color, re-tighten the drain plug when the fluid color is the same as new, clear fluid. Make sure to top up the fluid to the proper level.
    Thanks, steelcruiser and hypnosis44. I wouldn't dare touch the job myself but I'm a little paranoid about the dealer. I complained that the transmission fluid should have been changed at my 90k service, and they told me that, even though Toyota recommends the fluid change, they just topped off the fluid because it looked fine and they were trying to save me money. When I questioned them further, they said they would do a "flush" for the price of the fluid, but after reading this thread and realizing that a flush can and will harm the transmission seals (to paraphrase hypnosis44), I now question why the dealer would advise me that a flush is better for the vehicle than simple fluid changes done more frequently. Oh, and yesterday, I asked about the installation of an auxilliary cooler, hypnosis44; I used your precise nomenclature, but they said they didn't know what I was talking about.

I feel so leery of trusting the dealer at this point. I've had other issues with them this past year as well. For instance, there was a notation on a previous Toyota service invoice that I needed a power steering flush, but when I brought my LC in at 90k, this wasn't done. When I questioned this, they told me that the issue was subjective, that one mechanic thought it was needed, but another didn't. Can you advise me about power steering flushes? Are these as tricky as transmission flushes, or is there anything I should know about these before I have this done?

Also, last August, they said they adjusted the camber bolts at no charge, but after they did this, I experienced that "floating" sensation that some of your other posters describe. I felt I had less control, and that I didn't have solid contact with the road. When I complained about this, they told me that they didn't remember adjusting the camber bolts. Then I took my LC to a local tire shop to inspect. They told me my shocks were bone dry and were the original shocks. When I called the dealer to ask about this, I was told that the original LC shocks should last up to 200k miles. I had the shocks changed at the local tire place anyway, and now my LC feels much more solid and the ride is a lot quieter.

I wish I could find a good independent LC mechanic, as my LC is no longer under warranty. My engine still sounds very loud to me, and has for a long time. A Nissan mechanic told me that my fan clutch is stuck and to take it back to Toyota because the fan clutch can be serviced. But when I asked the Toyota service manager about this, I was told he'd never heard of a fan clutch "service", only a replacement.

If you have any thoughts on any of these topics, I'd greatly appreciate hearing them! This forum is fantastic. I read every post of all your Land Cruiser threads before buying my LC in 2003. (It's a 1999 LC, by the way.) Thanks!
    Thanks, steelcruiser! Yes, your comments, and those I've received from other posters, are enormously helpful. You don't add to my anxieties by confirming my fears about this dealer. I did think his comments about shocks lasting 200k was nuts but hearing it from you is a great relief.

I look forward to hearing any other advice you may be able to offer when you have time. How do I find an LC "club"? I live in the desert about 90 miles east of Los Angeles. I'd travel as far as L.A. if necessary, although of course it would be more convenient if you knew of a club or independent mechanic closer to this area. Thanks again!
    Without adding to your anxiety, I'm dumbfounded at the dealer's comments about your shocks lasting 200K! The symptoms you described are pretty typical of failing shocks, hence something which should have been at the top of their list of things to check IMHO. Are they any other dealers in your area? See if you there are any Landcruiser club chapters near you?

Many of these maintenance items can be done DIY and all it takes is someone to show you how and de-mystify them for you.

What part of the country are you in?

H-44 didn't want to suggest your method--though I like it and have used it--as I think the OP is more interested in an "easier" approach.

I'm on the run right now, but I'll post up my thoughts about dealers ASAP.

Beth hope some of this is helpful to you.
    Here are a couple of links (below) that may be helpful. Marv Specter is Mr. Landcruiser. Suggest you see if you can come up with a couple of recommendations. If you're in the Ventura area I can steer you in the right direction, but that's a long haul for you.

See if you can reach Marv on the phone, and tell him what's going on. I'm sure he can offer some additional help to you. For additional piece of mind you may want to get several recommendations, and if one keeps coming up, that might be the one to check out.

http://tlca.org/clubs
    http://www.sor.com
    Remarkable! I hope you are able to find an LC club and/or an independent LC mechanic. That dealership is totally out to lunch on virtually everything and probably a hazard to your car.

There are a number of after market transmission coolers available. Any "offroad" specialty shop should be able to help you there. They may also be a good source for finding an LC Club or mechanic.

Try to document the conversation about not wanting to change the trans fluid "to save you some money" so if/when the trans. causes problems - out of warranty or not - you have a record of having tried to maintain your vehicle. Even a certified letter to them, copy the area representative, recounting the conversation could be useful - deny it all they like.

Most shock absorbers are good for a max. of 50K miles of good service - but sometimes far less if the terrain is worse than average. If anyone ever hears of some going 200K we will all be in line for them.

As suggested; I was looking for an easier and "neater" way to change the trans. fluid - either method will work well.

Most power steering flushes I am familiar with involved pumping out the old fluid while simultaneously refilling it with new. Yes, flushes are subjective, but the power steering system takes a severe pounding at very high heat loads - a fluid change is a worthwhile low cost investment. It should not involve any chemicals. (One sometimes used method is to use straight cleaning solvent chasing out the old fluid and then refilling with fresh fluid. It won't harm the seals, but the residue will dilute the new fluid and would seem to provide no real benefit - I can not recommend it.)

I once worked as the used car mechanic at a dealership - watching the new car mechanics work made me realize I never wanted to take a car into one - that was 45 years ago and nothing has changed.

Best of luck too you! Sounds like you are handling it well!
    Thanks for the links, steelcruiser! Unfortunately, I called Specter Off-Road just now, and talked to Roger, who checked with Marv, and they have no shops or independent LC mechanics in my area who buy from them. Roger ran down their list of customers, and found only individuals - LC owners who've bought once or twice. I also checked the LC Club website you suggested. There are no clubs in this area! There really should be, too, because the high desert is a big off-road destination. I'd be happy to accept your recommendation for an LC mechanic in Ventura. Maybe I can just bring my LC in some early morning, and rent a car for the day while it's being checked out.
    You've voiced my #1 concern - that the service manager's advice has not only been wrong but actually hazardous to my car! I submitted a written complaint to Toyota but the corporate response was simply to forward my email to the dealership. I then talked with the dealer's service director and "customer care representative", who fought with me on every point. "No one remembers" is what the service director told me about the shocks issue. He finally offered to do work on the car for free but, even at no charge, I'm afraid to bring my LC back to him.

There are two Toyota dealerships in this area - they are bitter rivals and, in the past year, have swapped a number of mechanics and service managers. Since owning my LC, I've gone to both. And in speaking to individuals at both dealerships, it seems to me that either they point the finger at one another, or defend one another, depending on how secure in their jobs they feel. I've checked on the web for complaints against the service departments of Toyota dealers as far away as Longo and Claremont, and customer dissatisfaction seems even higher at these places!

I'm definitely going to pursue this with corporate, and will let you know what ensues. I really appreciate your posts, hypnosis44!
    Perhaps a more doable place would be Simi Valley? There's a good tech there named Pat. He's a real gear head and I'm "comfortable" recommending him. While I'm hesitant, because I know you've been through some bad stuff. Pat would be the only one at this dealership that I would recommend as I know him. Even so, I'd guess Simi is probably about 3 hours and change from Palm Desert. What about San Bernadino, Riverside etc?

Re: clubs, maybe find the closest chapter and try to make e-mail contact? I know, this shouldn't be this hard, but.......

HTH
    What would you think of my taking my LC to a Lexus dealership? I seem to remember reading in this forum in 2003 that the Lexus is almost identical to the Land Cruiser, the differences being mainly cosmetic. Am I recalling this accurately? There's a Lexus dealer in the Palm Springs area called Desert Lexus, although I've never heard anything, positive or negative, about their work.
    They really are identical, however, without looking back at your earlier postings I'm forgetting your principle issues right now. Difference, depending on your would be adjustable suspension etc. I see nothing wrong with it, but since you have a "case" pending with Toyota, not sure how that might affect that. Perhaps stop by the Lex place and get acquainted and see if they can offer suggestions? I always took my mother's Lexus to my Toyota guys for stuff I didn't want to do. But, that's another story =)

What about an independent garage that works on foreign cars? Do you have any friends with Toyotas that might have had some good experiences?
    I'm not really sure if I have a "case" with Toyota pending. I was told by Toyota that the company really has no legal control over its dealerships. The dealer agreed to change my transmission fluid for the cost of the fluid (they said $45) and power steering fluid for approx. $70, half of what they say it would normally cost. They also offered to replace the drive belt for free, even though they say that the reason it wasn't done at my 90k service was that it wasn't necessary. They said nothing about the shocks, or the camber bolt adjustment (except to say that no one remembers this). Could the camber bolt adjustment have affected the life left on my tires or shocks, do you know?

I received an email from the dealership's customer-relations manager, reiterating the offer above, which I assume was also sent to Toyota. I haven't heard from Toyota corporate since my discussion with the dealership a week ago. But if I have a "case", it would probably be based on whether or not there is currently anything wrong with my LC due to their negligence, right? If this is true, I imagine that I should get an independent opinion. Actually, I hadn't really thought this through before you asked.
    OK, here's my .02 on this whole thing. Sounds as if the dealer has made some moves towards resolving the issues for you by agreeing to change out fluid and replace the drive belt for free. But.......having said that, I'm VERY puzzled with the mis-diagnosis of your suspension issues. Bad shocks and a faulty alignment would and could most certainly affect your tire life (among other things) You've got 3 alignment areas to be concerned with--castor , camber and toe. I'm thinking a good alignment, the new shocks (and tires if needed) will take care of things for you--right? Did you experience front wheel shimmy, pulling or drifting while driving?
    An independent opinion "Full Safety Check" ( the definition varies from place to place) would be useful. The dealer is probably operating under duress from Toyota and I would be very leery of them touching the car again - for "Free" or not. On the other hand, if they have caught Toyota's eye, they may be on their best behavior competency wise - a tough call at best. The Lexus dealer route is a good idea - they may have access to Toyota's central record keeping system - assuming their is one - and have a record of your car and its service history.
  • chicanechicane Member Posts: 2
    Does the 2003 Land Cruiser have a cabin air filter (acc filter) which should be replaced regularily?
    I could not locate where these filters are, (if the vehicle has them) - Any suggestions?
    Thanks for advise
    Yes, steelcruiser, I experienced drifting, pulling, "floating" and shimmy. I had been complaining of these things for a long time. There's even a record of my complaints on previous invoices, although they aren't articulated very accurately. The mechanic noted (Aug 07) that I complained about a 'shimmy' and he reported that this had to do with a minor rotor issue that could wait until my brake pads needed to be changed. I had had a wheel alignment done at my request in May 07 (at the time of my 90k service); then I brought the car back in August with similar concerns. That's when I was told I still had 5-10K miles left on my tires - and that's also when they said they adjusted the camber bolts and balanced the tires. After this, the car seemed to get much, much worse and I called and was told that no one remembered adjusting the camber bolts and that I should call the Parts Dept. to price a new set of tires. I then took my LC to the other Toyota dealership in the area and asked them to check the car thoroughly. I brought them copies of my invoices from my 90K service in May 07 and my August 07 service, and explained to them that I had been told the camber bolts were adjusted. They told me that no permanent adjustment would have been possible unless the camber bolts were changed, and if this had been done, the parts would have appeared on the invoice (which they did not). They said they checked the car thoroughly - I even left it overnight - and they said there was nothing wrong with it. They had a tire sale, so I bought new tires from them, but then this didn't seem to correct the problem either. I called them back to complain that the tires didn't feel right, and ask if I could return them, but they said no. So, then, all last fall, I barely drove my LC. I was really scared, but the dealers insinuated that I was neurotic. It was only when I had to make an emergency trip to Los Angeles this past January that I took it to a local tire company to have the tires checked, and was told that the shocks were shot. After letting this local place change the shocks, the problems seemed to go away completely. But, I have to admit, just the other day I felt that there was a shimmy which returned!!! And this has me concerned that maybe the local independent place isn't familiar with the LC and might have missed something unique to the LC - is this possible? Is changing the shocks on an LC a complicated thing? I vacillate between thinking that this new 'shimmy' is just my imagination, and then thinking that I should have my LC towed to the Lexus dealership!

I want to thank you again, steelcruiser, for your invaluable input, time and patience. Your forum really is an incredible gift. By the way, yesterday, I received an email from Toyota corporate, encouraging me to update them on what has ensued on my case since submitting my complaint. I plan to write them this weekend, and include what I have learned from you, hynosis44 and tidester, if you have no objections.
    I AM very leery of them touching the car again, for free or not. The fact that the service director told me that a transmission fluid flush is good for the car, better than a mere drain-and-refill, is what tipped the balance for me, after what I learned from you, steelcruiser and tidester. My fear now is that either they would do the free work without reporting any deeper problems which might reflect back on them, OR they would say that they found serious problems requiring their immediate attention and then eschew responsibility if I did not follow their recommendations and let them do the work at full cost.

As far as having access to the car's service history - I have some familiarity with this issue as well! On top of everything else that I have reported to you and steelcruiser here on this forum, here's another thing that I didn't mention, because I didn't want to talk your ears off, or overburden you with issues that were not ongoing concerns. But as you bring up the issue of accessibility of service records, here's another detail of my case. (And for the sake of clarity, let me now say that my ongoing case is with a place called I-10 Toyota, whereas the other dealership in this area, where I had taken my LC from 2003 to mid-2006, is Toyota of the Desert.)

Last May when I brought my LC in for the 90K service (to I-10 Toyota), I had recently moved and a lot of my old Toyota invoices were still packed away in boxes. I was told I needed a new timing belt, but I responded that I thought I had already had this done, at Toyota of the Desert, at my 60K service back in 2003. The service advisor who had handled my 60K service at TOD had since started working at I-10 Toyota. (And because, at the time, I thought he was a really nice guy and trusted him, I brought my LC to him at 1-10.) He told me that he would have someone call over to TOD to find out if the timing belt had been changed. I assumed this was done - but, in retrospect, I should have called over to TOD myself, because the timing belt had been changed, and was changed again.

When I finally unearthed my old service records and realized this, I actually wrote to Toyota corporate to suggest that they require all their dealerships to share service records with one another! But I didn't mention what had happened to me personally, because I really didn't know who to blame and thought I might potentially alienate both dealerships. It was only because of all the other serious unresolved issues that I complained at all, and I included this in my complaint.

When my complaint to Corporate reached I-10 Toyota, the service director told me that Toyota had recently changed its policy - to require that all dealerships make service histories available to competing dealerships - but that this policy had not been in effect in May 07 when this mistake had occurred with my LC. And he went on to point the finger at TOD, saying that, as the service advisor in question had left TOD under negative circumstances, TOD might have given him the wrong information intentionally, to mess with him. He said he would ask the service advisor (who had since been promoted by I-10 to service manager). Then, in our next conversation, the service director told me that this advisor/manager did not remember having promised to call over to TOD on my behalf and that this was my responsibility, so it was "a dead issue" as far as he was concerned. Isn't that nice?
  • davea94301davea94301 Member Posts: 1
    For the 2nd time in a week, my 93 Land Cruiser blew the ECM fuse. I'd like to replace this myself and get it checked out. Can someone help me locate the fuse for the ECM and is this something easy enough to replace myself?

Thanks,
    Dave
    I contacted Lexus - their prices are very high! They want $300 to change the transmission fluid, and told me that the fluid alone costs $120 (as compared to the $45 that I-10 Toyota told me it would cost). This raises questions for me as to which type of fluid the Toyota dealer (I-10) offered to put in my 99 LC, and which type should be used. Toyota of the Desert told me that the 1999 LC originally used Dexron 3 which was a 30K fluid but that after 1999, they started using TYPE T-4 Red, which is supposed to be good for 60K miles. Another point - Lexus says it does the flush on a machine but does not use chemicals. TOD said it does the flush using detergents/chemicals - I mentioned that I'd heard this can be harmful, and they then said that the customer can request that the flush be done without them.

Regarding the shocks, I wrote to Toyota corporate explaining that the camber bolt adjustment might have accelerated the wear on my tires and shocks, causing me to incur these expenses more quickly than I would have otherwise. I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Thanks again for all your help! You are so generous with your time and your expertise!
  • justin20justin20 Member Posts: 2
    This is probably a really silly question, we just purchased a used 05 LC, only problem is we did not get instuructions on how to operate the rear DVD system. Where do you put the DVD in? How to operate, etc. We have (2) remotes however I can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated!
  • bill_lbill_l Member Posts: 38
    Hello Folks,

My 2000 TLC's check Engine light is on. I believe it's due to some malfuction. But, could anyone please kindly tell me how I could
    1) find out the error code?
    2) reset the error code?

Thanks.
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    Some of the auto repair chains offer free diagnostic if you do the repair with them. The other option is to fork 100 bucks and buy a code reader/reseter from pep boys.
    For the benefit of others on this forum, I just wanted to post some research I've been doing into the price of a new toyota fan clutch for my '99 LC. Get this! Both Toyota dealerships and the Lexus dealership in my area told me that the fan clutch for my LC costs - for the part alone - $300 and that there was an additional $130 charge for the installation. I then called a local Nissan dealer and asked them the price of a toyota LC fan clutch. Their Parts Dept. called one of the same Toyota dealers who had quoted me $300, and the price Nissan was given was $194. Finally, I called Specter Off-Road, which buys direct from Toyota, and was given the retail price of $166.

In my case, not only did the Toyota dealers misdiagnose my fan clutch problem for 1-1/2 YEARS (telling me it was a normal AC sound when I complained that the engine sounded loud and the LC was performing sluggishly), but now they're padding the cost of the part.
  • vavavavolvovavavavolvo Member Posts: 110
    Fascinating. Kudos to you for the due diligence.

I remember reading a letter someone sent in to one of the car magazines about a year ago about an experience they had with Lexus service. They had a problem with the Lexuslink (communications system). The service manager told the customer that it needed a new battery and that it was covered under warranty, which was a "good thing" because the part alone would have been approx. $700. The customer was intrigued by the cost and asked to see the marvelous part. He was shown a small, labeled battery which had a Panasonic (I think) label and part number on it. When he got home he did some checking on the web and found the identical battery/part number for less than $20. He contacted Lexus to question how they could mark something up to that degree (even though he didn't have to pay it) and they said something about it being engineered to be used under severe conditions, etc. He maintained that it would not have had the same part number if it were not the same battery. He added that they sent him a significant monetary credit for future parts/repairs just for making this contact. You can draw your own conclusions. He ended by stating that he was very happy with the car and the service but thought the markup was notable.
    Wow! Thanks for the suggestion! Did he call Lexus corporate, or the Lexus dealership, do you know? I would be thrilled to be offered a credit for future services!
    Just an update to report that Desert Lexus acknowledged its price estimate mistake on the LC fan clutch, brought the price down $100, and then gave me an additional $60 discount on their original price estimate for replacing my drive belt because the belt would have to be removed to replace the fan clutch anyway. They also gave me a free hybrid Lexus as a loaner while they did the work, and they seem to have done a great job. My Land Cruiser is now so quiet, and has so much more power. What a relief! Of course, I'd really like to find an independent mechanic in my area who works on Land Cruisers but, in the absence of a recommendation, at least I'm out of the clutches, no pun intended, of the nasty folk at I-10 Toyota.
    Congrats! You have fabulous tenacity!
  • nelson9nelson9 Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2002 LC and within a few weeks I noticed that the power antenna had slipped and won't retract the antenna. The motor still works but doesn't retract the antenna.

I would like to just replace the motorized unit with a permanent antenna to forgo any future problems.

Is anyone aware if this is possible....either through Toyota or others?

Let me know and thanks.

Nelson
    I have done exactly this on other cars and I believe you can probably do it here. There is a toothed belt that operates the mechanism in other cars and when the belt breaks you have the situation you are in. The TLC antenna is certainly unique, however, in its ability to be raised and lowered by a control, so I cannot say for sure the same belt setup exists. In any case, I would go to Pep Boys or Autozone's replacement antenna section and see if they have a manual fitment for a TLC.

Alternatively, since it sounds like it is stuck in the up position, you can just let it alone and avoid going to automatic car washes. I am doing this with one of our cars and it has been a good solution for me.

By the way, did you get a quote on an OEM replacement? Just wondering how much the part costs.

Good Luck.
    This is one of those things that will have you cussing up a blue streak, but it's a DIY project. I replaced mine a while back and the new mast was about $80 IIRC. Motor is reachable thru the fender well. You'll wish you had about 4 hands, but it can be done.

Hmmm, that reminds me, just about time to change out my T Case and differential fluids.

HTH
    Thanks for the info. I ended up taking the TLC to the local dealer last week and just had them disconnect the antenna motor and leave the antenna in the up position.

I didn't even want to find out how much a replacement unit would cost.

Thanks

Nelson
    I have an 02 TLC and have the 90k check up coming in the next 6 months or so.

I asked the dealer last week what the cost would be and it is $415 for the 90k check and if they replace the timing belt, it would be another $1,100.

It is not cheap by any means.

Nelson
  • edsel4uedsel4u Member Posts: 39
    The cost estimate to replace the timing belt sounds a little high. I had just been quoted a price of $489.00 to replace the timing belt in my 2000 LC from my local Toyota dealership in Massachusetts.
    Anyone replaced theirs themselves? I believe it resides in the cabin behind the glove box. I see two screws at the bottom of the glovebox door. I'm not sure if simply removing the screws will drop the door and reveal the filter, or if there are other steps.

Anybody been down this road?
  • lesniaklesniak Member Posts: 1
    I have 1998 Landcruiser with 87000 miles. Should I replace timing belt.? Various publications say is not neccessary, dealers say yes. Anybody driving LC over
    90000 miles without replacing timing belt? Please advice
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    I just did my 1996 with app 91,000 miles only after visual inspection and seeing that one of them was frayed. So take a look, and if so change them. If not, keep checking at regular intervals.

On the 1996 TLC those belts are inexpensive from 8-20 per. Shop for labor rates among those that really know what they are doing.
  • jaegeriiijaegeriii Member Posts: 2
    I have 135K on my 98. Never thought about it.
  • jaegeriiijaegeriii Member Posts: 2
    My 98 started to get temperamental about starting about 1 year ago at ~125K. Had to turn the key several times to get it to turn over. Within the last month it has gotten to the point where it will not turn over. I cleaned the battery terminals & put a 6 amp charger on the battery to check levels. The battery seems to be getting low (to about 50-60%) over night. Something is drawing on it. If I recharge the battery it will start w/ a few turns of the key. When at 50-60% capacity it will not start at all. Wondering if anybody has had a similar issue. Most likely the starter but hate to do that if not the issue. Thx..
  • 95cruiser95cruiser Member Posts: 1
    Your info is very interesting - I have a 95 LC w/ 158,000 miles that has been running great until last weekend when the temperature in Denver was close to 100 and I had the AC on a lot. Now, I have a loud engine roar that escalates above 2,000 rpm, worse under hard acceleration, and rough idle around 1,000 rpm. Did you have similar problems? If yes, I'll have to check into the fan clutch as a fix.

I was thinking it may revolve around a vacuum hose problem or clogged PVC valve, but I think they were checked at the 150,000 service not long ago. I had the loud roar for awhile before the service, and it has returned. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!
    Believe the OP is talking timing belt, not alternator, power steering etc belts.
  • landsakeslandsakes Member Posts: 1
    Mine started off not starting for 10 to 30 minutes now it's up to several hours. Toyota is baffled. Replaced some part not sure what, can't find my paper work.
    You can crank my 91' tlc and let it run literally 10 to 15 seconds turn it off try again immediately and it want start for several hours after that. Help!