Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Land Cruiser Maintenance and Repair

1235»

Comments

• maartenmaarten Member Posts: 5
    I had a similar problem over a couple of years. It would happen 1 time in half year, 3 times in one day. Very strange, couldn't find it. Basicly it was the feeling of the fuel pump cutting out. I drove for month's with a check light on the fuel pump to see if this happend it realy was the fuel pump or the power to it. no result. Suddenly it got worse, engine cutting out when making a slow right turn. In the beginning this only happend quickly and went by quickly. Days later it became more frequent and finally the Landcruiser came to a halt. We started to touch the wireloom and suddenly it ran again. 2 Days later again, luckily in front of the door of our workshop. With 2 mecanics we started to touch and fiddle around with the wireloom in the engine bay. Suddenly it stopped. Lucky us. We found the main wire loom going from the engine bay into the passenger side creating the problem. We pulled it, nothing happend, we pushed it inwards, engine stopped / started to run irregular. We checked all plugs going into the ECU, touched all the wires, checked the grounds by measuring resistance etc. We found nothing but the problem has gone since. What we think is that one of the little contacts inside the larger plugs was not 100% in contact or tight and created this happening. We have our own Toyota test equipment wich is up to date and we have a lot Landcruiser expirience, maybe the most this side of Europe, but still we got fooled by this. It was the kind of thing that didn't showed up in the diagnostic tool, never. we found other things using the diagnostic tool but none of them was pointing towards this.

On another Landcruiser, and for the USA Im speaking about the V8 gasoline only as we have many more variations overhere, we found irregular performance on some days, some weeks coming and going. This was with one that had the TRD supercharger ( police version ) and we found 2 coils being bad. After checking around with customers we sold the superchargers to we found 2 of them had the same problem. This was fixed after knowing where to look at. Big difference as one day the Landcruiser was sluggish and the other day it was jumping over the intersection if you only looked at the throttle. Apparantly the supercharger pressurizing the engine including our quality fuel of 98 octane made the coils working hard and now we advice new coils at 100.000km ( 60.000 miles ) to keep this away.
    Hope this helps.
    With best regards and have a great Xmas.
    Maarten from the Netherlands
  • profinityprofinity Member Posts: 5
    I use premium fuel only. The fuel filter is not the problem as I change it out about every 25k-35k miles and the current filter has about 5k miles of fuel through it. The symptoms the engine is experiencing does not appear to be congruent with injector problems. When the engine is running without interruption of power loss the engine runs perfectly normal and smooth without any hesitation. As I already described, the problem is NOT present when the cruise control is used. I believe using the cruise control bypasses the problem which I believe to be the pedal position sensor. The cruise control does not actuate the pedal and appears to directly control the throttle body. If this is the scenario then I believe the pedal position sensor is the culprit and I expect to change the PPS out this week and see what happens. Often completely shutting the engine down and restarting corrects the problem. If this were an injector problem I do not believe shutting the engine down and restarting would remedy an injector problem. I have inspected and cleaned the throttle body. It did not require cleaning however I serviced it anyway. Everything appears to operate normally in the throttle body. I have checked all the wires and connections I could find under the hood but have not traced the wires going into the cockpit of the vehicle. The battery is also a new battery as of 6 months ago. I believe this to be an electronic problem of some type based upon the behavior I have observed and not a mechanical failure. The engine light is not illuminated. If the engine light is illuminated then an error code can be read with an OBDII. The problem is indeed intermittent although is occurring with greater frequency lately. Thank you for the replies. If anyone has experienced the same issue and you determined the exact fix I would appreciate reading from you. When the power loss occurs the engine does not run irregular. The pedal is simply not responsive. To gain acceleration I have to push the accelerator pedal almost to the floor and then the engine responds. Again the symptoms completely go away if the cruise control is engaged. This is why I think it might be a pedal position sensor.
  • tedantedan Member Posts: 3
    Have you resolved your Land Cruisers problem? Did you replaced the Accelerator Position Sensor? I'm having the same problem with my 99 LC. Only difference this that during when gas pedal is not responding, cruise control also doesn't work. This started once past summer and didn't have a problem again till a month ago. Now it seems to occur more frequent.
  • tedantedan Member Posts: 3
    Changing the Accelerator Pedal Position sensor take care of your LC's problem? My LC is doing the samething as yours.
    I fixed mine by changing the lever assembly throttle. My 1999 Land Cruiser uses the hybrid throttle linkage (it is not 100% throttle by wire as the newer vehicles are 100% throttle by wire). Specifically the part is the where the actual throttle cable is connected to a spool. This is what failed. I changed this out and the vehicle is back to 100%. I hope this helps those of you who have the same issue. There are other things that can be the cause however this was my fix.
  • bill_lbill_l Member Posts: 38
    My 2000 LC was hit on the rear door 6wks ago on a snowing day. The rear door and the frame behind it were repaired and did not see any other problems.

However today, these 3 lights, ABS, VSC Trac and VSC Off, were on after 10-15mins driving, but they were not on in the first 10-15min after engine re-started. This phenomenon is repeatable. Does anyone have any clue of the problem? Your help and information will be highly appreciated.
  • bdkernbdkern Member Posts: 1
    Check the Sequoia forums which start with 2001. There are numerous issues related to lights coming on and transmission problems in the Sequoia. It may or may not be related or similar.
  • nate1957nate1957 Member Posts: 1
    Three words you need to remember...SHELL PREMIUM GASOLINE. If you're putting regular or mid-grade gas into this fine piece of machinery you're asking for it, and should perhaps be subject to execution for stupidity. I've had my '99 Cruiser since 2002 and it'still running like a top. I love my LC!!!
  • mecheng5by5mecheng5by5 Member Posts: 3
    Profinity,
    What a relief, I'm having the EXACT same problem with my 1999 Land Cruiser. Can you please tell me what part you had to buy, part number, where you bought it, etc...Any useful info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • tspock1tspock1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem with my 98 LC, when its cold out below freezing the throttle does not always respond. Its quite dangerous when you need to get into traffic and nothing happens. Did you figure out how to fix yours and can you please share the details as my dealer has no clue what to do. Seems like this might be related to the other Toyota throttle problems and should be fixed by the factory.
    tspock, The problem will be one of three things, all located on the throttle body assembly.

1. The Lever Assembly, Throttle (aka Pedal Position Sensor) located on the left side (passenger side) of the throttle body asy.
    2. The Servo Motor located on the right side of the throttle body asy.
    3. The TPS Sensor also on the right side and tucked behind the Servo motor. (this is the least likely problem)

I tried to just replace #1 but it did not fix the problem. Instead it was the Servo motor which you cannot buy separately from Toyota so I had to purchase a whole new Throttle Body Asy for over $1,000.

From what I've been able to gather, we have a Hybrid throttle system. You push the pedal and the cable turns the Lever Asy/Pedal Pos Sensor whose sensor signal goes to the Servo which actuates the butterfly valve and the TPS sensor provides feedback. A Toyota dealership should be able to check any error code you have (if check engine light is on). They should be able to do it for around $45. But the Lever Asy, Throttle will cost you at least $250 and the whole Throttle Body Asy will cost you around $1,250.

If you find out its the Lever Asy, Throttle then you can buy mine for alot less than from Toyota, as I have an extra one now and they don't take back special order parts.

I hope my experience can help you & others out.
  • martin70martin70 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 100 series cruiser. 6 months ago after changing oil and filter (valvoline diesel) under normal running the oil pressure guage sits about half way up until I increase speed up to 100kph about 2400rpm when the indicated pressure drops to about 25%, slow down to 80kph 2000rpm it goes back up. I changed the oil to castrol GTX it remained half way up all the time. About two months ago I inadvertently put valvoline in again and the problem retuned only this time after two oil changes it is still doing it, in fact the low is going lower about 20%. Can any one tell me what is happening and is it likely to be a problem with the guage or sender unit or is the oil pressure really dropping at higher revs?
  • kw22kw22 Member Posts: 1
    I hve 1999 Land Cruiser with 115,000 miles on it and abt a year ago, I pressed on pedal to go out in traffic and nothing happened even tho motor was running....put in reverse and it wud move backwards abt 5 miles an hr with the pedal to the flr....was able to get away frm traffic.....I turned motor off/back on and it was OK and has never happened again....is it possible that it can be just a one time thing?
  • clynch_txclynch_tx Member Posts: 3
    Hello everyone. I'm the proud owner of a 2003 Land Cruiser that I bought from a local dealer recently. This is our first LC and we love it. It has been very well maintained and everything works great. We recently were following each other in both our vehicles (wife in the LC) and I noticed that the left outer brake light was not working. Can someone tell me how to get to the bulb? Just looking at the tail light assembly briefly, I couldn't see where the mounting screws were. Does the whole assembly snap on to the vehicle with the ball and catch type mounts? Any help is appreciated. Clay
    I forgot to mention this is the bulb that is on the frame part of the tail light, not the tailgate portion. Driver's side if that makes a difference. Thanks again. Clay
    If memory serves me correctly, remove the screws from the side of the light located where the lower rear hatch/gate is located. Remove the screws and carefully remove the light. This is a simple procedure.
    Profinity, thanks for the advice. On my first inspection I didn't see the screws you are referring to, but I'll check again in the morning. Thanks again for the response. Clay
  • jk99toyotalcjk99toyotalc Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where I can get a repair manual for my 1999 Land Cruiser?
    To obtain a repair manual, there are three of them in total, call the Toyota customer toll free number. They will provide the contact information for the company who sells the manuals.
  • bulletheadbullethead Member Posts: 40
    All:

my 2000 TLC (118k miles) experienced the aforementioned loss of power and the 3-alarm lighting of the dashboard warning indicators - my experience has two aspects - I found that the issue happened in cold weather and it was indeed Throttle Body Assembly based - 1st time I tried to repair, I did not replace the entire TBA.... a few years later when it failed the 2nd time, I acquired a "used" TBA from a TLC parts house in New England and had it repaired...
  • adarawadaraw Member Posts: 1
    Hello, if anyone could give me any advice I would greatly appreciate it.
    I drive a 1990, 60 series Toyota Land Cruiser, and unfortunately a few days ago when pulling out of a parking spot, I backed into a small grassy hill. I am not exactly sure what happened to the exhaust pipe, but I believe it is bent. It is of the hanger, so the current quick fix option I came up with was to wire the pipe back up, however if it is bent should I take it in to get fixed, and does anyone know roughly how much it would be? I know it seems ridiculous that I don't know whether or not it is bent, as I should just be able to tell by looking at it, however I don't know very much about cars at all, and I don't know what it looked like before the mini accident. The area where I believe it could be bent is way far under the car, so it is hard to tell, but the tip of the pipe is kind of jutting out to the side. Any one have any suggestions? Thank you so much.
  • mans_landmans_land Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    My '02 Land Cruiser's rear view mirror and passenger visor were yanked off and completely removed. (Don't ask. lol). Anyway, both those items were electrically wired -- the rear view mirror had the headlight adjustment feature for cars behind me, and the passenger visor had the lighted vanity mirror. Anyway, I didn't replace the parts immediately (and still haven't replaced them), but in the meantime I had wires exposed which I believe came into contact somehow and shorted. Now, my interior overhead lighting is dead and my transmitter which connects to my garage door opener is also dead. I checked for blown fuses and didn't find any. Is there a relay of some sort that I should replace instead? I called the dealer but they didn't know exactly; all they said was there's a dome relay which is available for replacement but not sure if that will solve my entire problem here (including the problem with my GDO transmitter). Please advise. Thanks.
  • pzkpzk Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have a problem which looks similar but I really don't understand what to do.

1. Sometimes, when I start the engine at first it works out well but when I drive and later switch off, it becomes really hard to start the engine later. I even had to change the starter but the problem isn't solved.

2. It happens sometimes when changing the gear, the engine goes off. it has been quite long and we have tried to check all wiring without any diagnosis. fuel filter should be ok!!
  • colocruisercolocruiser Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    The right side blinker stays on constantly when either the running lights of the headlights are on. All of the blinker and brake lights work fine when the head or running lights are off. I have replaced two fuses and the some bulbs on the rear and the front of the vehicle. This is on a 1989( power windows, & mirrors) Land Cruiser Any ideas?
  • vavavavolvovavavavolvo Member Posts: 110
    Interesting problem..

Three questions:

I assume the turn signals on the outside of the car are activating also when this occurs, and it isn't only the indicator on the dash that is doing this?

If so, is it both front and rear right blinkers?

They are actually blinking when they are on--right---and not remaining on continuously? (The word "constantly" is what I am trying to clarify)
    edited June 2014

Hey guys, anyone change out an alternator on their 1999 (100 series) Land Cruiser? I about to attempt it myself instead of letting a shop do it. Any advise?
    [non-permissible content removed]

Thanks,
    Will