Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Hybrid Rattles, Bumps, & Squeaks

Comments

• jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    ratm909: You shouldn't need a whole new console. Many of the 07 Camrys have experienced this rattle, often described as sounding like crickets. There is a very easy fix. You can do it yourself! REALY! It only takes a couple of minutes.

Click here, console fix and read the thread..go to post# 43 ....pictures and great step by step instructions.
  • willybillwillybill Member Posts: 83
    I don't know if your TCH is like this, but I noticed a low pitch rattle coming from the passenger door area. Turned out to be the seatbelt on the passenger side. Frequently, I would say 3 out of five times a passenger gets out of the car the seat belt end gets wedged sideways between the seat and the plastic center post column. This always seems to rattle. A quick reach over to re-coil the seatbelt on the passenger side always fixes it.. If it happens to me it probably happens to you.
    I am a silent driver. I frequently don't have any noise going when I am driving to work and therefore am probably more sensitive to TCH noises than some.
    At any rate, I have noticed this frequent 'hang up' of the seat belt caused a rattle. Low pitched, knocking noise.
    Hope that is someones solution.
    :)
  • driverdrewdriverdrew Member Posts: 4
    Is anyone experiencing a high, but quiet, squeal as a sound from a radial saw when at a steady cruising speed? The noise didn't start until around 750 miles. I took it to the dealer and was told the default -"It's normal", but it is irritating and I have to keep the radio on to avoid the high pitch.
  • lvwlvw Member Posts: 14
    What's the cruising speed? I can't hear anything like that at any highway speed, but cruising around town, without the ICE operating, I can hear what I would characterize as a *very* slight hum, when the stereo is off and the vent fan speed is low. Not a problem for me...
  • primo2primo2 Member Posts: 31
    sorry, have not heard anything like that...and i'm a stickler for bumps, thumps, squeaks and squeals...i would not settle for "it's normal"...especially if they don't tell you exactly what it is...will keep my ears open for you
  • inincubusinincubus Member Posts: 11
    i have this issue but it doesn't happen all the time. i also wondered if this is normal. i'd like to know if someone's fixed this problem.
  • grakograko Member Posts: 6
    If you are a stickler for squeaks and other noises, how can you put up with the many noises from all the clicking plastics? I fixed the console, but now have many clicks and rattles from the front doors above and below the window frames. I've got 6000 miles on the car, and the dealer can't seem to find the sources or fix any of them. Anyone else having this issue? Any solutions or is it just very poorly constructed?
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    Some people look and listen for problems, therefore are more attuned to hearing them....they happen in any car. Especially new ones, where the owner is more sensitive to them.

Some 3 In One oil, some silicone spray, maybe some felt jammed in the right spot, those will help. ;)
  • mirspotmirspot Member Posts: 15
    Grako,
    I wanted to express my opinion for quite some time, your post did the trick..so here it is. (Anyone out there, PLEASE don't give me "turn up the radio" or "you're too paranoid"...these are really hard to ignore especially when I had just spent 30K on TOYOTA quality)

Now, I have about 8K on this car (non-NAV)..bought it in July and have always had this annoying ORCHESTRA accompanying me on all but the SMOOTHEST roads. The noises range from the shift selector squeaks and then seem to be originating from all over the passenger side including the glove compartment. Even my 8-year old Acura doesn't rattle nearly as bad on these roads. Oh yeah, I have also recently driven a new Altima on those roads...it was QUIET, solid.

So, I have to agree that it's PATHETICALLY POOR finish on an otherwise great car. And yet when you go to the dealer, they've never of heard any such issues, of course not. I went to a few of them and (after a couple visits) finally had one of them agree that there was a customer complaint and they had to pad the transmission selector. Toyota should be actively taking care of such complaints ...actually, they shouldn't have let this car out before fixing such an obvious/basic flaw....or may be they don't have Chicago roads in Japan. I AM really disappointed.
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    It seems there's a reasonable solution for the "squeak" in the center console by the shifter.

I have a terrible rattle (sounds like a marble) in my dashboard and softer rattles in the front passenger and driver's side windows. (If I drop the window a tiny bit the rattle goes away!)

I agree it's a great car. But I too am disappointed by all of the little noises inside. I wasn't expecting a Lexus, but I was expecting a fit and finish better than a Dodge. :mad:

tom
  • mirspotmirspot Member Posts: 15
    "I have a terrible rattle (sounds like a marble) in my dashboard..."

Yup, that's a good way to put it...this is the latest one for me, started a few days ago. I thought it was either a couple of pens or my car charger in the glove cmpt. but removing them didn;t make any difference. I'll spend some time on it this afternoon and see if I can figure it out.
    I read a TSB that it might be the bottom of the windshield that is loose. I will have the dealer look at it when I take it back in in a month or so.

tom
  • driverdrewdriverdrew Member Posts: 4
    The rumble is the gas engine starting. Considering the amount of work it takes a starter to turn a gas engine over, Toy has done a great job with the roll-start ignition that brings the gas engine back online without too much of a rumble. Just think of how a standard car acts when you turn the ignition switch. The TCH is a breeze compared to that.
  • pbouillonpbouillon Member Posts: 2
    I had a ' rattle in console ' problem. Like a penny rattling
    on a biscuit frying pan. My dealer had it fixed but it took
    numerous visits to the service center. They finally solved
    the problem inserting foam between two plastic(?)plates
    near the shifter. I did not actually see the repair but it
    is the best description I can give here. It solved the problem.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    OK, I have to share this. I take the TCH to the restruarant last night with the wife. She gets out of the car first and walks towards the restruarant. I try to lock the door by pushing the black button. NOTHING happens. Oh no, I'm going to have my first problem. I even reach in my pocket and push the fob. Nothing.

Solution: I pull the fob out and found that it was for my other car. I had to have my wife walk back close to the car so that i could lock it:)

17,500 trouble free, squeek and rattle free miles so far.
  • hashhash Member Posts: 1
    I've owned my Camry Hybrid for 6 months and, in general think it's great. My annoying rattle in the console is my CDs touching each other and rattling around over not-so-smooth roads (which is just about all of them). In a pretty quiet car, this "chatter" is very disturbing. Not sure how to fix it except by only putting one CD in at a time (kind of defeats the purpose of a 6 CD changer). Toyota Service guys shrug their shoulders. Cheers.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    Wow, if you have them in Mp3 format that's like, what maybe 5000 songs?

I have the Nav system and have burned my cd's in mp3 format onto 4 discs. Utilizing folders you can put just about every song you'll want to hear for a year and they are all in the system and not sitting in the console.
  • ahag37ahag37 Member Posts: 3
    I also have this issue. It started at about 5000 miles. Pleased to know I am not alone but disappointed by such a simple issue in a quality product.
    Will probably try the self fix ideas.
  • tchsilvertchsilver Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone heard squeaks, rattles and banging coming from the glove compartment, the driver side window and the passenger side area where the seat belt resides when it is not in use? The local toyota dealer has not been of much help.
  • downwinddownwind Member Posts: 11
    Since I stated this thread, I have not experienced any of the subsequent problems, but a new one came up recently - when the steering wheel is turned a bit more than normal, usually at slow speeds, there is a creaking noise from the column. The dealer says it is normal and coming from some sensors in the column. Any body else experience this? There was an annoying rattle in the driver's side column just above your head, and they replaced some broken clips correcting that.
    Here's something interesting that just occured. I had a nail in one of the Michelin tires, and my paperwork showed a full warranty INCLUDING road hazard. But the paperwork was for "self supporting zero pressure tires", which were not what was on my TCH - therefore no special warranty. Fortunately the local Discount Tire chain fixed it for free, or I would have had to buy a new tire for $182 (it was almost in the sidewall area which they don't repair)! Just wanted the forum to be aware of this.
  • chattguychattguy Member Posts: 2
    I have the same drivers window issue. It started the 2nd day of ownership.I now have 1700 miles. I am also experiancing a jerking feeling in the electric steering like the car is trying to center the steering wheel or has loose play as I turn the wheel ever so slightly to the right sort of jerks back to center. Anyone else having same issue ?
  • chattguychattguy Member Posts: 2
    My 07TCH is having some odd issues with the electric steering system. If i turm wheel to right ever so slightly i feel a jerking reaction to the opposite direction(left) like car is trying to center its self. Steering has no rhyme or reason to effort needed to turn al low or high speed. I read 1 article where the reviewer said toyota changed out the rack to correct a problem in a pre production car. Anyone else having a similar issue. It scared me when it started occuring on the freeway at nite on the way back from a trip.
  • davidlazerr9davidlazerr9 Member Posts: 3
    Unbelievable! Have owner new 08 Escape Hybrid for less than 300 miles and have rattle from center console and some type of louder rattle coming from somewhere around glove box or dash/door on passenger side. Yes, its not a Toyota but rattles drive me nuts just the same. Actually debating asking the dealership to buy it back from me.........only has 290 miles. We don't have a Ford message board on 08 FEH so I was checking in on your board.......I did test drive a TCH and was shocked that there was a loud rattle coming from the front dash on a brand new car.......guess i'm living proof that this is more common in new cars than people think
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    >>>Actually debating asking the dealership to buy it back from me.....<<

Let us know how that conversation goes. I know of no car dealers with the return policies of Costco.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I think the sad truth is a rattle does not qualify for any of the lemon laws. From my understanding of these things. So you are probably stuck with it. I would keep taking it back and maybe they will find the problem.
  • cfboncfbon Member Posts: 3
    I've noticed on these boards that owners of the nonhybrid camry have reported a sudden thudding noise that sounds like something heavy falling over in the trunk, that may be related to design flaws with the gas tank. I actually heard such a noise twice while test driving the XLE V6, so decided against that model. The sound was unnerving -- it really elicited a startle response in me.

Have any of you noticed such a noise in the camry hybrid?
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    Haven't heard it here, in over 12,000 miles
  • jchshade1969jchshade1969 Member Posts: 3
    This is exactly what problems I'm having. When you first turn the air conditioner on it rattles until the car gets cooled off. But I'm having a rattle problem which sounds like its in the radio area. Not all the time, just can't determine if its the gas motor kicking in or what. We took the car on a trip to the Myrtle Beach and on I-95 which is level and same cruise speed and you could hear the rattle. Bugs me like crazy. Did you learn what the problem is???
  • yuryyury Member Posts: 146
    I drive a 05 Malibu, it also squeaks big time. I kinda attributed that to the fact it's a GM, but reading your forum I am suprised to see that a toyotas do that as well.

And you know what else bothers me? that a lot of you guys say that your dealers give you the "it's normal routine". Perhaps i am overgeneralizing, but that was my impression.
    My GM dealer fixes the design screwups (or at least attempts to) without a word. They were ptetty good insulating the squeaky seat and are very willing to look into the other issues.

Is that something with the toyota people or do i just have a good service advisor? Or maybe GM is more forthcoming when approving warrany work?
  • pasalapasala Member Posts: 1
    Hi every one-
    I bought a camry Hybrid car 3 weeks back...
    When I stop the car at the signal point and if I acclerate the Gas pedal then I hear engine noise ( like a sports car). Is that common?

Secondly, I am feeling my steering wheel to be hard while driving. What could be the reason?
  • agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    As long as you do not hear any clicking noise when the steering wheel turns, the stiffness of the steering wheel is possibly the redesign of the steering shaft assembly (TSB ST002-07 STEERING INTERMEDIATE SHAFT NOISE) where the new TCHs get.
  • chip107chip107 Member Posts: 6
    Anyone had a rattle in the sun roof. It appears to be located in the rear of the sunroof passenger side. If you push up on the rubber seal the noise goes away. This is not a good spot to work on very tight.
  • noicenoice Member Posts: 2
    I have the same issue and I just bought 2007 Camry SE. Just wanted to know if you ever corrected this or know how?
  • mquislingmquisling Member Posts: 1
    There is an annoying clicking sound coming from somewhere near the driver's left ear in my 2007 TCH. I think it is in the door or post between driver's side front and rear doors. Passenger side has similar but not as severe problem. The clicking stops when I press hard on the door, returns when I release pressure. The dealer did something to the doors that seemed to make the clicking disappear for a day or two. Now it's back as before. Any ideas?
    I had this same clicking sound. They said there was something broken in the post and repaired it - for awhile. It came back & I have to have it looked again.
    The dealer had to replace the sunroof. This requires removing the headliner, not a easy job. The shop that removed the headliner scratched up the consul between the seat and they have to oder a new one. It did get rid of the noise. So
    far.
  • james99james99 Member Posts: 9
    Has anybody heard any rattles that seem to come from the roof. It sound like wires that are not clamped down. The noice appears to come from behind the driver.
  • naipesnaipes Member Posts: 1
    FYI, the Camry Hybrid is built in Kentucky. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7882633/
  • talmy1talmy1 Member Posts: 55
    FYI, the Camry Hybrid is built in Kentucky

Not all of them. Our new one (built in July 2007) came from Japan.
  • james99james99 Member Posts: 9
    I have a constant clicking noise that comes from the front left top dash area. The clicking is most noticeable when the outside temps are over 80. Has someone else experienced this and is there a solution.
  • spitre72spitre72 Member Posts: 1
    I'm really glad I found this site, I printed your "fix" :) I bought a new 07 Camry 3 months ago, and I've had a rattle for the last month. I brought my car into the local dealership and of course they didn't hear it. I returned the next day and picked up one of the techs and drove him, and he heard it - at first they said they had fixed it.. (wires) then the day day came around and again the same noise.. well long story short, I have been back and forth 5 times.. and now they said they are not sure how to fix.. they did figure out it has something to do with the sunroof. When you press up against the glass the rattle stops. Well I'm now on hold until a Toyota Rep is able to come to the local dealership and listen.. sigh.. I try to ignore the noise, but I tend to hear it now even when the radio up ha .. Replacing your sunroof has worked so far? :)
    Yep replacing the sun roof cured the problem. However the shop that did the headliner scratched the center console and the dealer replaced it with no problem.
  • wmoliver1wmoliver1 Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone had a problem with the dash squeaking. If I put pressure on the dash (passenger side) near the speaker, it will stop.
    Mark
  • brudoffbrudoff Member Posts: 7
    Yep. Live in Fla. and took trip out west last month. Noticed squeak in cold temps. sounded like a squeak and clunk but "clunk" went away as cabin warmed up, squeak stayed there. Noticed same squeak from drivers side near speaker and also from clear plastic cover over speedo. Taking in next week to see what dealer can do
    Now with the colder weather I have squeaks and creaks and "clunks" coming from all over my dashboard. It's enough to ruin the experience with this otherwise great car. Of course, been to the dealer twice and they can never reproduce it. :(

tom
  • loveababy1loveababy1 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my 08 TCH. If the temp drops in the 40's or below, it seems like the dash (I think it's the dash) creaks like crazy. The other day when it was in the 60's - no noise. Very frustrating, especially because I can't tell exactly where it's coming from. This is my first Toyota after many Chevy's and I'm pretty bummed about the noises. One of the main reasons I bought the Toyota was for the "fit and finish" but so far it is no better than GM.
  • orbiterorbiter Member Posts: 4
    I have had my TCH since July, 2007. I love the car, but have also had rattles in the dash that have been driving me crazy. But, there is now a fix!! After the third visit to try and fix the rattles that seemed to be coming from the center of the dash, about mid point at the top, I received a call from my dealer's service department. Toyota finally acknowledged that there is, indeed, a rattle issue, and has issued a service bulletin. The bulletin number is: NV008-07. It is specific to certain VIN numbers, and mine was included. (My car was built in Japan, but it may include US built cars as well.) The issue is that in assembling the dash, Toyota used plastic clips that snapped together. The fit wasn't tight enough, so it could rattle, especially in cold weather. The repair requires "Noise Kit #08231-00801", and "Wind Noise Kit #08231-00810". Toyota allowed the dealer 4.5 hours for the repair (under warranty), and it took almost six hours of their time to accomplish. It requires virtually the complete disassembly of the dash. The car is now back together, and there isn't a squeak or rattle anywhere in the car, even over the really bumpy rutted roads we get here in northern Wisconsin in the winter time. There is also no wind noise, but I never had that problem in the first place. I did have a squeak in the shift console about a year ago, which they fixed it as a known issue. I did get rid of my Bridgestone Turanza EL400 OEM tires, which wore out at 29K, with incredible road noise, and replaced them with Yokohama Avid TRZ tires. Now, my TCH has 32K miles, rides like a dream, is as quiet as a church, and after keeping meticulous records for all those miles, have averaged 37.102 MPG. Hope this helps anyone with noise issues in what is otherwise a marvelous vehicle. Good luck!
    Thanks for the info! I'll give it a try. My car was built in Japan as well, I was actually hoping it would be built better than the first cars coming out of Kentucky, but it hasn't been the case. I'm beginning to think the fit and finish in the new GM cars is better than this Camry! Certainly the last Hyundai I rode in was put together better than my car.

Well, hopefully they'll fix this- I heard a new buzzing sound above my left ear today- they just keep coming!

tom
  • pacamry1pacamry1 Member Posts: 6
    Interesting to read your comments about the rattles on the hybrid model. I have suffered similar issues with my 07 SE, an annoyance on an otherwise great car. It's worse in cold weather. Dealer hesitant to employ service pack (I mentioned this to them after reading these posts - great information here!!) as it requires taking apart the whole dash. They've replaced the plastic clips mentioned in this series of posts. So far so good, but the weather is also warmer! Now the moonroof also rattles. Car only has 14K miles on it.

I've owned several Toyotas and this is my second Camry. I'm usually impressed with the build quality but this Camry is a disappointment. Wish I had bought one of the new Malibus instead, for less money.