Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti FX45 Real World MPG

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
edited July 2014 in INFINITI
Please report on your FX45 mileage in this discussion. Thanks,

Steve, Host

Comments

• ttummyttummy Member Posts: 6
    I typically get 16 mpg in mixed driving. When driving in NYC we sometimes get 9 mpg, but usually 12-13. On the highway usually 18-19 mpg. Never more than 20 mpg.

People in NJ and NY tend to drive very aggressively. I would say that when it is safe to do so, I like to use the extra two cylinders I paid for, but don't weave in an out of traffic, for example.
  • texasfx35texasfx35 Member Posts: 65
    I own a '04 FX35 (tech - no sport pkg) with 42K miles on it. I am a fairly conservative driver living south of the Houston metro area. Under normal everyday driving, which may include 20% highway miles, I will get 17-19 mpg on a tank full. Driving the posted 65 mph on the area freeways, I will easily get 25-26 mpg. If I drive a steady 70-72 on an extended trip to other metro areas in Texas, I usually will get 23-24 mpg. The FX35 engine does have a voracious appetite for gas if you have a heavy foot, which is the price you pay for moving that much mass at a good clip. I can drop the above mpg estimates by 15%, if I just want to have a little fun with the performance side of the vehicle.

We live in an EPA non-attainment area, so our fuels have 10% ethanol in them. Contrary to what has been touted that these fuels give poorer mileage, I believe I have noticed a slight increase in mileage since the switch, but this could be the result of me just driving more conservatively than usual with the current gas prices.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    Before I traded it, my 2003 FX45 averaged 16.3 mpg over 30,000 miles. I didn't think it would do any better but when the old guy came and picked it up for service I reset the trip computer and he got 18.5+ over the 250 mile round trip to the dealer and back.

Wow I thought, maybe I am driving it too hard.

Anyway I traded it in May. I will say it was one of the most satisfying automotive experiences I've had
  • vanpoolvanpool Member Posts: 15
    I just purchased an 07 FX-35. The manual suggests premium unleaded, but I would like to hear from some of the owners to see if they are using a mid-grade without any problems. :confuse:
  • dantedante Member Posts: 92
    I have an 04 FX35 and have always used medium grade with no problems. Enjoy the car, I love mine. Jon.
  • texasfx35texasfx35 Member Posts: 65
    I also drive an '04 FX35 with 50K miles on it. For the last couple of years, I have alternated tanks full between premium and mid-grade with seemingly no negative effects. Maybe a slight increase in MPG with premium, but hard to be sure. Nevertheless, on my last visit to the dealer, the mechanic recommended I get the fuel injectors flushed. The engine does "pop" sometimes on initial start-up, but other than that no other symptoms (rough idle, poor MPG, etc). Not sure if this is the result of using the lower octane fuel, which also would have fewer detergents in it, or not. But when you do the math, a driver getting only 16 mpg average and driving 16K miles a year would only consume a 1000 gal of fuel. At a $0.10/gal difference in price (in Texas at least) between premium and mid-grade, that is only $100/year savings. The extra depreciation from driving 16K vs 12K is closer to a $1000. The cost to flush is about $125. I guess what I am saying that if you are going to drive a $40K automobile, it may not be cost effective to save $100/year using a lower octane fuel. It may even cost you more in the long run.
    Thanks for the post. So far, I have only put the premium in the FX, and I will probably stay with the higher grade. I will put about 20K miles per year, so it may be better to use the premium grade.
  • emkayzenemkayzen Member Posts: 3
    Steve,

I bought 2006 FX45. I am getting an average of 16 miles per gallon on this vehicle in mix driving conditions. I live in Chicago area.

Thanks,
    I only have about 1,000 miles on my 2007 FX
    5, but so far I have been getting 18 - 20 intown and about 24 on the highway. Using premium grade fuel.
  • keithseakeithsea Member Posts: 3
    I'm surprised by these mileage reports.

Since October in my 2006 FX45, I'm only seeing 11-12 mpg in Seattle area (ouch), with premium unleaded. That's a lot of stop and go traffic and hilly surface streets, but I still only see ~14 on wide open 60-70mph highway. Have yet to see a '15' on the mpg screen. :(

Any other FX45 owners out there able to comment on their mpg?
    The mileage I have reported 18-19 in town and 23-24 Highway is for a FX35, V6.
  • hovyhovy Member Posts: 1
    How do you guys manage such MPGs?!?!!? I had a 2005 FX35 loaded with all 3 available packages. My average MPG was 15-16 MAX! I guess that's why I got 5 speeding tickets. Hmmm .... ok, makes sense, you guys must drive like mom'n'paps ...
  • ttummyttummy Member Posts: 6
    The V8 and V6 get almost the same MPG, only about 2mpg difference.

There are several factors that I've found help MPG:
    1) Check you tire pressure, I found that 35 PSI cold presure helps over the stock 32 PSI.
    2) Put in an aftermarket air intake or at least a K+N filter. I got about 2mpg just from installing a K+N filter and the car feels faster, though I haven't dynoed to see if it actually is more powerful.
    3) Install lowering springs. Just 1" lower and you will get better handling and a slight improvement in highway MPG.
    4) Turn off the air con when possible.
    5) Drive with the windows up.
  • jdonahuejdonahue Member Posts: 10
    I have an 06 FX 45 with 35K. I average 16-17 mpg around town and about 18-19 hwy running 70-75 mph. When the car was brand new I got 24 mpg out of one tank of gas. Don't think the mpg has tipped 20 since.
  • ferrari99ferrari99 Member Posts: 15
    FX45 -03 42K Miles. Avg mostly city is 16.2 for the last 3 years.
  • msticksmsticks Member Posts: 5
    I've had my FX45 since it was new back in 2004. I always use premium and the best mileage I've ever gotten (all highway - 65 mph or slower) was right at 20 mpg. If I drive my usual 70-75 mph I'll get 18 mpg or so as long as it's all highway. Where it really nosedives is in the stop and go city driving. Worst I've ever gotten in 14 mpg. If I was to average over the 5 years I've had it I'd say I've probably averaged 17 mpg. But hey, you buy a heavy SUV with AWD and a powerful V8 you can't expect 30 mpg! I went in with my eyes open and haven't regretted it yet. As an aside I just bought my wife a 2008 EX35, loaded, AWD and we've been averaging 18-19 mpg on mid-grade. So a smaller car with less weight and a V6 isn't doing that much better than a V8. Maybe when the EX35 loosens up a bit mileage might improve. But again - you makes your choices and you pays the price.
  • msticksmsticks Member Posts: 5
    I agree with Texasfx35. I have an FX45 and I played the half a tank of 93 premium and half a tank of 89 midgrade and could see no real benefit. As he said a $100 a years isn't worth the potential problems. You buy a $60K car with a V8 you shouldn't have to worry about $100 a year. I use only premium and have put 77K miles on my FX-45 in the last 5 years and it still runs like new and will embarass the occasional kid at a stoplight in his Mustang GT! Now I will say that I just bought my wife a new EX35 for Christmas and we use mid-grade in it and it runs just fine. I think the VQ engine is a bit more forgiving. The owners manual suggests (rather than demands) premium but 89 mid-grade seems to work fine in the EX. The trip computer says she has averaged 20.9 mpg for the first 3000 miles. Now maybe if we had used premium it might ave broken 21mpg. Don't know. Two thing in play here - lighter car with 2 less cyclinders and she has a MUCH lighter foot than her hubby.
  • drivin1drivin1 Member Posts: 1
    Please talk only FX45~
    I have a 2006 and average 16.2mpg. I drive it kind of hard because that's what I bought it for. I asked the Mercedes dealer what the gas mileage was on an E 350 I was checking out and his response was most Mercedes drivers don't have to worry about the mileage. I agree and 16.2 is the result. This thing is a beast and needs to be drivin once in awhile. Drive it like you would if the mileage didn't matter. If it does matter, get a Prius. Drive on my FX45 family, drive on!
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    I can't speak for the 2009+ FX models, since I don't have one, but at least back in 2005 and 2006 when I got my FX35, the AWD system was only on when you pushed a button for snow mode so the majority of the year I drove with RWD only!

On avg, I got 17mpg around rural town, with a couple of 20 and 21mpg on long distance road trips with mostly interstate/highway driving! This though was with using Hess and Exxon Premium gasoline; I switched to Shell Premium on all my vehicles about a year ago, but I never used it while I had my 2005 FX! I have seen incredible improvement in avg and long trip mpgs on my current vehicles with the switch to Shell Premium and wish I had done it long ago while I had the FX! I think I would have seen a 2-3 mpg improvement!

God help the FX45 and FX50 owners with the V8 though, I don't know how you guys do it with the V8 and fuel economy! All the power to you though who do have the V8!

I remember back in 2008 I think when gas prices got up to $4.30 a gallon here for Premium in NJ, I got killed with my FX; each week the fill-up was $80-90 bucks! God did that eat a hole in my wallet! Pray and never gets up to that prices again!
This discussion has been closed.