Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 330 Real World MPG

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
Please report on your RX330 mileage in this discussion. Please include city/highway, odometer, driving style or similar comments that you think may be helpful. Thanks,

Steve, Host

Comments

• ionelionel Member Posts: 5
    My 2004 Rx 330 with 34,000, I averaged 17-18 MPG city, and 24-26 MPG highway, I use 93 octain gas. On the highway driving I stay with 55 or 65 mph, and use cruise control all the time.
    I keep the lights on and the AC on, if you cut this consumers off the MPG is a bit better.
    Thank you,
    ionel dinu
  • 10scoachrick10scoachrick Member Posts: 74
    Spirited in town driving with AC yields about 17 but smooth highway cruising around 65mph has given 28+. Overall avg for first 7500 miles is about 21 on our 06 330. Usually use reg petrol with mid-grade perhaps every fourth tank. Atlanta traffic doesn't help with mpg.
  • silvereagle2silvereagle2 Member Posts: 23
    I have FWD and 15K miles on the odometer. On a long interstate trip at 78mph I got 25-26 mpg with the cruise control on. around town it varies beteween 18-20 mpg. I only use regular 87 octane.
  • mcdaniel4mcdaniel4 Member Posts: 9
    Hi. Just bought a 2004 RX 330 Lexus. Just checked the first tank the old fashioned way, dividing the gallons into the miles. I was very disappointed! 14.6mpg around town! I haven't gotten out of town yet, but I traded my Chevy Tahoe mainly for the gas. Now I wonder if I made a mistake. Any thoughts?
  • desertrat5desertrat5 Member Posts: 85
    I have a 2005 RX330. The lowest I have seen around town is 18mpg. On the interstate with the cruise set between 75 and 80 I routinely average 23.5 mpg. I use a mix of midgrade and regular and the total miles on the vehicle are 32K. Tires are Michelin inflated to 30-32 psig. I live in Colorado Springs
  • rbandrband Member Posts: 8
    '04 RX 330 AWD approximately 66k miles - mostly highway driving - using regular gas - 89 Octane - tyy to maintain 75mph on highways - always use cruise whenever possible.

Average annual consumption with combined hwy (80%) and city =

2004 = 20.4 - new car - 90% hwy driving
    2005 = 22.0
    2006 = 20.2

Hwy driving only avg = 23mpg: City driving avg = 18 mpg

Tires are the Standard Michelin 225/65R/17 inflated with Nitrogen
  • garv214garv214 Member Posts: 162
    '04 RX330 AWD with 30K miles. Just took a round-trip drive to Lake Tahoe from the Bay Area (60 mph up/65-70 mph) with minimal traffic. 26 mpg up and 28 mpg back per the trip computer - which I find to be a bit inaccurate compared to miles divided by gallons filled.

Tires are the factory tires inflated with 78% Nitrogen, 21% Oxygen, and 1% Argon + misc gasses...
  • 10scoachrick10scoachrick Member Posts: 74
    ;) you funny!
  • nopcbsnopcbs Member Posts: 43
    17-18 mpg in suburban/city mix.

27+ mpg highway with cruise at 65 mph.

Remarkably good for such a giant lump.
  • modfathermodfather Member Posts: 6
    15 mpg in Wash. DC driving
    27 mpg driving 60 mph on highway
  • thydavidcome1thydavidcome1 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    Lexus RX 330: 2WD
    City: 23-24mpg (45-50mph)
    Highway 25-26mpg (70 mph or if I can behind a faster car I usually go 80)
    Fuel: High octane Premium (93 I think?)
    Driving style: Acceleration with purpose. I do not race to stop signs or red lights, I either coast enough to make the car say 30 mpg or I just let go of the gas entirely and let me decelerate instead of needing to break as much.

In terms of acceleration I try to push it to atleast 2,200 rpm, that seems to be the best acceleration/fuel usage ratio
  • eeffiongeeffiong Member Posts: 2
    i bought a lexus rx330 3months ago, the fuel consumption has been abysmal. On the info display, the average MPG reads btw 12.4-13.3mpg driving within town.
    Anyone has any idea the cause of this? i'm so disappointed, expected better fuel consumption.
    I've never travelled out of town with the vehicle, wondering if the display is wrong or the vehicle is has a problem that makes it consume so much fuel.
  • kwbuggykwbuggy Member Posts: 11
    Did you buy it from a Lexus dealer? Take it back and have it checked out, maybe it needs servicing such as air and gas filter and new plugs. Do you calculate your fuel mileage by dividing the miles travelled by the gallons used :) or just rely on the display? Do you ride the brakes? There are all sorts of reason why some people get poor fuel mileage while others get great results from the same car so you should look at driving style if the dealer checks out the car and claims everything is as it should be.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    Have you checked your actual mileage by recording the miles driven between fill-ups, and dividing it by the gallons required to re-fill? That is the only way to know your actual mileage.. Everything else is just a guess.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• haller4haller4 Member Posts: 5
    Did you get this figured out?
    I recently purchased a 2000 RX300 for my daughter to drive (from a private seller)

I have not been able to do the exact calculation, but seems like we might be betting 8-10 MPG. It has AWD but she is not using it. I know it has been cold here in Cbus - so, she may let it run 5-10 minutes in the morning before she gets in...

I was expecting to get 18-24ish

HELP
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited March 2013
    Idling = 0 mpg.

I think the best way to warm a car up is to get in it and gently drive for a mile or so. When I lived in Anchorage, I'd just creep out of the subdivision (I had a block heater to warm the oil for an hour on below zero days and a small electric interior heater that I would plug in when the block heater was in use, if the windows were iced over).

It doesn't get that cold here in the UP on Lake Superior, so I'm back to just creeping the first mile. Gentle driving is about the best way to improve mpg, assuming nothing is mechanically wrong.

Your daughter needs to calculate the gas for a few tanks to get a baseline though.

Oh, the RX 300 for that generation had full-time four-wheel drive. (link)
  • charlesboglecharlesbogle Member Posts: 3

Driving my 2004 RX330 11 miles via country roads to work every morning- 23 MPG.