Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Tundra Shocks and Suspension

mongrelkoimongrelkoi Member Posts: 1
Needed some help with rear squat. I have a 2005 TRD 4wd StepSide V8 - Titanium Silver Ext Cab. We just upgraded our boat to a 5500 pound beast and the tongue weight is a little too heavy for me. Causes too much squat.

So I have been looking for some air shocks, in order to beef up the rear tongue capacities a little, but I have run into a brick wall. I need some air shocks or heftier springs or something.

The GCWR and everything is met OK and the truck pulls just fine. We have pulled the boat ~400 miles since we got it and have had no problems.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    wanderer12wanderer12 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2003 TRD 4wd StepSide V8 with the towing package and I had the same "squat" problem with mine. I installed a set of Firestone Ride-Rite Air Helper springs this past April immediately before going on a 7,000 mile camping trip and couldn't be happier. They weren't difficult to install and I opted to direct the system to a single valve rather than two separate ones. While I never had a control problem before I installed these the ride seems to be better, albeit slightly stiffer, even without any load or weight on the tongue and they are adjustable to accomodate any load. Check them out on www.ride-rite.com. I ordered mine from www.suspensionconnection.com for about $250 including the Union Tee Connection to direct the tubing to a single valve. Model # 2245T fits 2000-06 Tundra 4wd. I hope this helps.
  • Options
    scfarmerjackscfarmerjack Member Posts: 3
    Hey, I have seen a few wheel vibration stories on here. I had my brakes replaced a few months ago, and progressively had more and more vibration, accompanied by more and more noise from said vibration. It is annoying at any speed 0-85 MPH and is TERRIBLE at higher speeds, and more specifically around corners/turns.
    I would think it is wheel bearings, but I get no shake from the disc with the tire off. I am at a loss. I took it back to the mechanic in S.C. who did the work, and he told me he found out that the front tires should be lower in pressure than the stated pressure from the tire manufacturer. He was giving me the slip because he knew I was leaving to head back to Canada. Told me that it would 'wear out' after a couple hundred miles. I knew better, but didn't have time for an exhibition.
    Please let me know if anyone else has experienced this.
    Oh, it is a 2000 4X4/V8-SR5.
  • Options
    averagecarguyaveragecarguy Member Posts: 11
    If you live where the freeways are made of concrete, be aware of the extremely poor ride quality of the '07 Tundra on old, worn concrete freeways. It truly rides like a buckboard.

As long as the freeway is new, or decent asphalt, ride quality is good, but at typical freeway speeds, it is verging on unacceptable on old concrete.
  • Options
    bugchuckerbugchucker Member Posts: 118
    What are you riding on? Mine is fine. Better than my Lexus! I enjoy taking the long way to and from work just to enjoy my 5.7 a little longer!
  • Options
    I'm driving a 5.7 Double Cab 4x4. As long is the pavement is smooth, it's fine. But on older, Southern California concrete freeways, I feel like a bobble-head doll.
  • Options
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Any truck, without a load, will ride rough—especially over bad roads. You can thank stiff leaf springs and the solid rear axle for that.

Put a load in those suckers and the ride will smooth out.

Bob
  • Options
    scfarmerjackscfarmerjack Member Posts: 3
  • Options
    davebaumdavebaum Member Posts: 2
    I believe, the truck is designed in size and weight as a half ton pickup. Toyota wants to be competitive in the truck market place, so they claim the load capacity is 1500lbs instead of the 1000lb capacity of a half ton truck. In order to do this, they have made the suspension stiff enough for the three quarter ton capacity which normally has a longer bed and is a heavier vehicle. It's trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. The dealer told me that the reason for the ride on my truck being so stiff, is because it's the off road model. This type of suspension is totally contrary to off road suspension where you need to suck up the bumps and not make the truck air born because it's too light for the suspension system.
  • Options
    quarquequarque Member Posts: 41
    Has anyone tried changing the rear shocks to reduce the bed bounce issue? I have seen a couple places talk about these Rancho 9000XL series shocks as a true "fix". $100 each!
  • Options
    crosbo78crosbo78 Member Posts: 2
    I have to agree with Bob, put a load on the 07 tundra and you'll see the difference. If you bought the truck and give it no action (towing), then you should have been in the market for a Honda Ridgeline.....Yes i admit there is some bumping but its not anything I cant handle and its not uncomfortable. I think the 0-85mph feeling the bump is a little over stretching it. Just get in a f-250 on an empty load and youll also see that its common on all heavy towing trucks.. and of course im not directly comparing the tow cap. of the f-250 to the tundra cuz it just would not happen. If your in the market for a smooth ride go for the new dodge. There no leaf springs on that baby and it should be what your looking for if you dont like the bump feeling...but then again who knows how long youll be driving on the road with that truck....

jc
  • Options
    akadannyboyakadannyboy Member Posts: 1
    I've an '02 Tundra, and after 7 years, I'm still impressed with the ride and the power. I'm now ready to trade for the bigger V-8,but I'm 60 years old and if I have to CLIMB UP IN THE BED OF THE TRUCK to reach my tools, that truck is worthless to me. Toyota has fallen into Detroit's ignorant [non-permissible content removed] habit of "mine is bigger than yours". If I want a toyota I can reach as far as the middle of the bed, my only option is the tacoma,but I'm done with little cabs. I guess I'll have to wait for toyota to retool the tundra. I really don't care whether "yours" is bigger than "mine", I just want something I can work with, and best I can tell, the '03 tundra is the last year they made a sensible work truck(unless you're 6' 8" tall).My original reason for entering this forum was to ask what is the best replacement shock for these older Tundras?
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Bilstein HD
  • Options
    tymtotrntymtotrn Member Posts: 10
    hey, i have a 2008 5.7 2WD crewmax that has TRD. I have 37,000 miles. Lately, I have front end clunking noise only when you turn the wheel all the way to the left or right(as if you were making a tight u-turn). I can hear the noise, and I also can feel a popping sort of grinding which travels through the steering column and into the steering wheel. It sorta sounds like worn out CV-joints. The truck seems to wander from side to side when I drive over pot holes or a rough street. I think it's the ball joints. Anyone out there having this problem. Taking it into dealership soon.
  • Options
    redriver79redriver79 Member Posts: 1
    I could not be happier with this truck. Question is , what is best time to replace shocks and struts for peak ride performance.