Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Real World MPG

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
Please report your gas mileage for your Jeep Grand Cherokee here (include odometer reading, driving style, city/highway mix or anything else you think may help). Thanks!

Steve, Host

Comments

• offeroffer Member Posts: 2
    I just got my new 2006 Grand Cherokee Overland with the Hemi and 4 wheel drive while I love my Jeep I am only getting 9 MPG! Anyone else getting gas mileage that bad?

Thanks
  • brian211brian211 Member Posts: 69
    Welcome to the club. Have a 04 limited with the 4.7 8cyl HO engine. Computer says about 9.3 also. However, I just do city driving and its always in all wheel drive too. So its about normal for this car.
  • gfirestonegfirestone Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2005 GC Laredo with the 3.7 V6. I've got about 3500 miles on it. I do about 20% City driving and 80% highway. I can get about 20mpg highway, but my city is only 7-9mpg. I've been told that it should be 13-16 when I called several jeep dealerships in the surrounding area. I don't drive very aggresively. Recently I had a Dodge 1500 Quad Cab rental with the 4.7 V8 and I got 12mpg driving city (better than my V6 Jeep)when its rated for 14mpg.

I've brought it to the dealership 4 times now and everytime they say "computer says system working to specification." I also had to have major work done on the transmission. Its been very dissapointing.

I don't know how much luck I'll have, but I might try to pursue a lemon law. The truck is rated for 17 by the EPA (which I know uses unrealistic and outdated testing), but 7-9 is unacceptable for a V6.

I've been keeping track of my mileage since I bought the car and every time I fill up I record the mileage, %highway, gallons of gas, actual mileage, and computer mileage. I've found that if I do straight highway, the computer is pretty accurate (within .5 to 1 mpg). However, as soon as I start doing city, the computer mileage is usually too high by 10-30% (e.g. Actual 12, Computer 15.7)

I've always driven SUVs and expected so-so mileage, but this just doesn't seem right.
  • offeroffer Member Posts: 2
    Well I filled up the tank today and the computer is right on 9 MPG. All of that is city driving. I did take it on a road trip on the Freeways and I got 14.5 MPG
  • podedwardspodedwards Member Posts: 35
    I have a 2006 5.7 4WD Grand Cherokee. For the first 2,000 miles or so I averaged about (by computer and my own calculations)13.5 around town and averaged about 19+ in highway driving. I have about 6,000 now and I am averaging about 16+ in town and about 19+ on the highway. However, if I keep it on 65 I can easily average better than 21 on highway. I know it will improve a little more at about 10,000.

I use 5W-20 Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil. I keep 40-42 psi in tires and I don't gun it (well almost never).

I have a 2004 Mustang GT with a 4.6 v8. It easily gets 25-26 on he highway. On the other hand, if I want to make it rip and roar, I'll get about 10.

The Hemi is the same way. This engine has lots of power and it takes a lot of gas to tap it fully. Powerful v8's do not have to be pushed as hard (more gas) because of the ample torque.

I think driving easy is the key along with the right oil and tire pressure. Be sure you have at least 6,000 miles on it before you expect much.

But, no one buys a 5.7 4WD Jeep Grand Cherokee looking for gas mileage or at least I didn't. It still gets better, at its worst, than the Suburb. and Tahoe I had.
  • bdmoore13bdmoore13 Member Posts: 4
    1996 Grand Cherokee V8. I get about 13.3 MPG, mostly city. I was only getting around 16 on the freeway, but with new plugs, wires, rotor, and cap, I am able to squeeze around 19-21 out of a gallon, as long as I keep my foot out of it (65-70 MPH).
    That sounds pretty good. The foreign models really don't get any better and some worse. A vehicle with a smaller engine will have to work harder to do the same job and will use as much or more gas.

I think 21 is good for a 4WD jeep.
  • reholmesreholmes Member Posts: 8
    I get between 15 and 17mpg in mixed driving. I don't have an instantaneous readout on the computer like I had in all previous JGCLs, but on the level, no wind, 65mph, on cruise, I get 22-24 mpg reading after reset. Having said that, I'm a pretty conservative driver; although I did go off against a Nissan FX45 today and scalded his butt--hooah!

I'm using 5-20 full synthetic and changing every 3000 miles, and thus my question. Chrysler recommends every 6000 miles on synthetic for the SRT8, but I can't find a recommended oil change interval on the 5.7 GCL--anyone know?
    There is an A and B schedule for oil change in the manual. However,I am old fashioned and I change oil every three thousand miles -rain or shine. It may not be necessary, but the relative costs for the life time of the vehicle is minimal.

I use Mobil One 5-20 and I have used Mobil One in my others cars for years.

Just traveled to our home in Grand Lake, CO from our home in Hattiesburg, MS pulling a fully loaded U-Haul and the Grand Cherokee crammed full. The 5.7 got nearly 19 and pulled the mountains with no effort.

I am getting about 23-24+ on Interstate.

It is a great car.
  • phoebe5phoebe5 Member Posts: 8
    I have an 05 GC Laredo, V8 4x4, bought May of 05. I was getting 9 mpg, but now I'm averaging 11 mpg, at 17k miles, 80% city driving. Interstate I get around 16. Extremely disappointed in this vehicle,and it is a lease so I'm stuck another 2 years. I test drove an 04 GC Limited for a week and averaged 16 in town and was promised when I bought the 05 that I could expect the same.
    Gas mileage is a product of several factors. There are mechanical reasons such as blocked filters, blocked exhaust or defective fuel systems.

However, there are other more common factors that have to be eliminated first. So I suggest that (1) tires be aired up to max psi but allow for expansion with warm up. The best way is to air them up cold to max psi, drive to heat up the tires for about 20 minutuies and then let air out down to max psi, (2) drive conservatively-don't gun it at starts, speed up slowly and drive at the speed limit, (3) keep the oil changed @3000 miles with synthetic motor oil,(4)check to see if the air-conditioning compressor is staying on all the time, (5) buy good gas-not cheap gas, (6) replace the fuel filter.

I have always gotten better than average gas mileage from all the cars I have driven and I think these habits really help.

I am getting excellent gas mileage with my 5.7 Grand Cherokee, I have a 202 Dodge 1500 4.7 truck that continues to average between 18-19 and 22-23 on the road.

2004 Mustang GT V8 that averages 22 and gets 26+ on the road (or less than 10 if I gun it-but it is worth it)

A 2004 Ford V6 Windstar that averages 16 with 22 on the road.

Driving habits usually determine potential gas mileage. A heavy foot is most often the culprit for poor gas mileage
  • transpowertranspower Member Posts: 213
    According to a review from England, the 2006 JGC CRD gets 21.6 mpg urban, 32.8 mpg extra urban, and 27.7 mpg combined. However, press reports for the forthcoming US model of the JGC CRD say that it will get just 19 mpg city and 23 mpg highway. So, what gives? Anyone here from the UK to give us a real world report?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Maybe those were Imperial (i.e. bigger) gallons? Tidester should be along shortly to do the math conversions for us. :D
    Interesting. 1 Imperial gallon = 1.201 American gallons. Therefore, under these terms (and I don't know if the UK really uses Imperial gallons), the UK JGC CRD would test at 18 mpg urban, 27.3 mpg extra urban, and 23 mpg combined. Still not the same as that reported for the American JGC CRD. Granted, there would be a difference in the methods between the UK and the US, but this much?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The Imperial system IS British! You have the right conversion factor meaning that you divide miles per imperial gallon by 1.201 to convert to miles per gallon. Alternatively, multiply by 5/6 (correct to 3 significant digits).

Thanks for saving me the time to look it up! ;)

tidester, host
    From Google, I found the following Web site:

http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/faq/glossary.asp

This confirms that, indeed, the British are still using Imperial gallons to compute mpg.
    The US JGC V-6 gets 17 mpg city, 21 mpg highway (EPA estimates). If we multiply these figures by 1.30 (30% better, the usual factor), then the projected economy of the US JGC V-6 CRD would be 22 mpg city, 27.3 mpg highway, and (presumably) 25 mpg combined.

Of course, another factor is the price of Diesel fuel per gallon vs. the price of gasoline per gallon. In the winter, Diesel fuel is higher; in the summer, Diesel fuel is lower.
  • bwalker1028bwalker1028 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 97 JGC Laredo 5.2 V8 and have been rather surprised with the mpg. I drive primarily on the hwy and regularly get 17 mpg as long as I drive the speed limit and set the cruise.
  • warrenmjwarrenmj Member Posts: 1
    I have an '04 GC Freedom with 4.7L HO and have added K&N FIPK and Flowmaster muffler and get 21 MPG (combined city and highway). My son has my old 2000 GC Laredo with 4.7L with K&N and gets almost 19 MPG and he is running Goodrich All terrain TAs, which tend to lower your MPG 1-2 MPG. We also live in Colorado at an elevation of 6500'.
    My home is about 8,500 feet in Grand Lake, Co. My 2006 5.7 can use the lowest grade of regular above 2500 feet but I go back to a mid-grade when at our home in Mississippi which is 250 feet above sea level. MPG is about the same but there are some savings being able to use the less costly fuel.

My 5.7 can loaf 95% of the time so it's not very hungry. But for those times I want to go fast or pull something very heavy, it is a hoot but hungry because of the extra work.
  • tomloytomloy Member Posts: 2
    The european version runs a 3.55 rear end ratio. Reports are the US version is running a 3.73 That accounts for the difference in gas mileage.
    In the U.S. 3.07 and 3.73 are available on some models but the 5.7 4WD has the 3.73. If a person plans mostly highway cruising at high speed, then a 3.07 and a smaller engine and 2WD would make sense in producing better gas mileage. Of course, why would they want 4WD anyway with that application?

However, the 3.07 would increase fuel consumption around town or in climbing because the engine would have to have more fuel than with a 3.73 to have the same power at the wheel in over coming the lower ratio.

Driving applications remain important issues in determine what vehicle to own and how to drive it. If I did not need 4WD and 5.7 power for the mountains I live in, then I would not need this vehicle as equiped.

Consumers need to educate themselves in these technical details to happy with all aspects of their vehicles.
    Just an up-date. Just made the 23 hour trip back to my home in Mississippi from our place in Grand Lake, Colorado (fish were biting). I used the cheapest grade of regular (87 oct) all the way and my gas mileage improved by about 1.5 mpg or a little over 22 on the road.

I am unconvinced that a diesel is the way to go from past experience. I don't think the mileage will be much different in any vehicle and diesel fuel is more expensive. I have seen this before-folks wasting money going to diesel. Few of us will keep a vehicle for more than 150K (the only possible reason for one). Diesel engines do have (generally) more torque than the same size gas engine but less horse power.

I have had them-noisy-dirty and not much fun to drive unless turbo-charged which brings with it lots of mechanical problems.
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    For the most part, I have to disagree with you. And I say that for these reasons: First; Diesel is more expensive now, something that I can't understand. But with that being said, part of the economy of owning a diesel has been negated. Second; Diesels do have a mountain of torque and in some cases, aren't as much fun to drive. Turbo charging does wonders for a diesel engine. Third; Given the higher cost of acquiring a diesel engined vehicle, you do have to put lots of miles on it to break even.

Here's where I disagree: Your point of perspective is probably very different from mine. My last truck was an F-350 diesel dually. I averaged 18.25mpg running empty while all of my buddies with their gassers were running in the 12-13mpg range. My 1-ton even did better than most 1/2 tons. Now given what I have gathered from DC's attempt at putting a diesel in the Jeeps, they are not getting the mileage they should be getting. A diesel GC or Libbie should be getting over 30mpg. I think the engines are too small.

Diesels benefit greatly from the addition of a chip or tuner. Gassers usually only will gain 10 or 15 HP, while a diesel engine will gain far more. The chip I had on my F-350 gave me an extra 75HP and 150ftlbs of torque. That put me at 325HP and 650ftlbs of torque, I can tell you from experience that it was more fun to drive than any gasser at that point. Infact, you can buy chips/tuners that will give you 150HP.

Turbos don't necessarily bring a lot of mechanical problems. Granted, that is just something else to break on the engine, but few people I know of have had any problems.

Diesels aren't as noisy as they were 10 years ago. The new Cummins in the Dodge trucks is so quiet that you can pass one on the road and never hear it. The Chevy Duramax is the same way and the Ford Powerstroke is getting there. As far as being dirty, they don't smoke anymore either - unless they are chipped. Even with my chip installed, the only time mine would smoke is when I really got into the throttle.
    I picked up the current issue of Consumer Guide Car and Truck Test and here it is: 18/24 EPA city/highway mpg (p. 135). So, it's not as good as I had hoped, but still better than any other mid-sized SUV.
    Good points there.

The approximate additional cost of getting a diesel engine in a Dodge, Ford and Chevy truck is $8,000 which includes the packages required for it. Yearly insurance costs are greater proportional to the vehicle cost as is fuel cost.

Diesel is more expensive because it is now beginning to have to meet the same emissions standards as gasolene. Because of the refining process it may become even more costly than gasolene. Diesel used to cost less because trucks were given exemptions.

Average car ownership in the U.S. is about 60K miles making it impossible to come out ahead with diesel if addtionl costs are considered.

Bigger engines mean more fuel use and more cost. Chips have not shown to increase mileage but rather horsepower and torque. However, the more power used the poorer the mileage.

I have considered modifying my Dodoge truck with a chip. However, everything I have read indicates that for a gas or diesel engine the life of the engine is reduced. If you have an independent study that shows it to be different, I'd like to see it

What I have seen is that diesel engines pulling heavy loads at highway speeds are better than gas engines and I think the stats confirm that.

Jeep is trying to rush a diesel engine into its vehicles because of the hysteria over gas prices just like in the 70's with other American cars. I think Jeep has great engines right now the 5.7 is one.
    Well, Consumer Guide does not agree with the 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee catalog. I picked it up today from a local Jeep dealer, and it says (p. 8) that the CRD engine gets an EPA rating of 19/23 mgp. I was hoping for 23/27. This is a big disappointment, so I'm going to look at the Mercury Mariner Hybrid again. I haven't crossed the JGC CRD off my shortlist, but it's no longer a sure thing.
    The Mercury Mariner Hybrid will cost more to own and operate for five years than a 5.7 Jeep Grand Cherokee so if cost actually is the issue-the Mercury Mariner loses.

The Mercury Mariner Hybrid is simply not even close to being in the same class as a Grand Cherokee-it only has a measly towing capacity of 1000#, under powered in all aspects and will be nearly useless off-road.

If gas mileage was my main issue, I'd get a motor scooter. However, I went for the 5.7 4WD Grand Cherokee because I drive in elevations exceeding 11,000 feet,in lots of snow and ice, on BLM roads that are barely improved and I tow as much as 7000# and the gas mileage is great for the application I use it for. It is a safe, powerful, great handling and rugged vehicle that does what I need it to do.

It is really important to decide what the application is before a vehicle is purchased. It produces a much higher level of satisfaction.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Posewards, I love the Jeep's Quadra-Drive II four-wheel drive system--it is by far the best! I also like the towing capability. However, I really dislike the fuel economy, so I was hoping that the Diesel version would be acceptable, getting a combined 25 mpg. Boy, what a disappointment. So, what kind of fuel economy are you getting at 11000 feet, in snow and ice, and towing 7000 lbs?
    Well it has been interesting. We have a home in Hattiesburg,Mississippi which is (hopefully always-we are 80 miles from the Gulf) about 200 feet above sea level. We have a second home in Grandlake, Colorado at 8,500 feet above sea level. Matter off fact I am heading out with just my Border Collie- Ms. Kate- to Grandlake next tuesday to get in a little late fishing. Will probably drive straight through (23 hours) because the Grand Cherokee is really comfortable. I have made this trip five times in my 2006 5.7 GC.

I have to go over Berthoud Pass (11000 feet and change)on Hy. 40 (off I-70) to get to Grand Lake and there are plenty of other such passes that starting right now can be very tough in fall,winter and spring and sometimes summer. I fish all over the place and some "roads" that are tough-through streams-rock-steep inclines & such.

I have pulled my boat and other folks over the passes several times. I use the tow-haul switch for this-works great-very stable.

I have always used premium gas in all my cars & trucks so it was not easy for me to give it up for the GC. Used mid-grade(89) at first then went to lower (87) at altitudes above 3000. Runs fine. Now I use 87 all the time and have yet to hear a ping or rattle. The 5.7 Hemi is just a wonderful engine.

On the road, on the long flat stretches of Interstate in north Texas or Oklahoma I will get 23+ if I keep it between 65-70 in that it allows the engine to shut down to 4 cyl most of the time. If I drive between 75 and 80 on same road it drops to 18+. I consider this outstanding.

In the mountains I average about 17-19 depending if I am towing. I only use gas going up-downs pretty much free.

If I behave myself arouind town, I'll get 18 and if I don't it'll fall to 14. Never got less than 14 on a tank. I am 57 but I did put one of those little sewing machine pocket rockets cars to shame yesterday at a traffic light-know better-just counld't help it.

Now I am one of those nuts (don't work for an oil copmnay or own stock in one)that does not think gas has been over priced. I saw no one driving less just bitching more on their way to buy fast food or make a trip to the store for one item. I'd like to see gas stay around $3.50 at least to promote more refinning and exploration of petroleum and other sources not to mention to saying adios to the mid-east.

The United States has enormous petroleum reserves-our plan has been to use other oil sources before using ours which is a good idea except that mid-east oil is not "sweet" and has a very high sulfur content which is why diesel has gone up with the new regs on emmissions. The U.S. is very likely to become an oil exporting nation within 20 years but those facts are hard to know without really looking at the facts independently.

Fact is, mid-east countries will either have to free their women to develop their economies or develop nuclear energy cause they got nothing else-squandered all their wealth. Tough.Doo Doo.

ButI have digressed off. Hope my figures encourage you. For what I use my GC for,I am happy as a dog chasing chickens.

By the way, we have a 2004 Ford Mustang GT convertible with the 4.6 V8. We get 26+ on the road. But I can't drive it west without a chiropractor on board.
  • johndperryjohndperry Member Posts: 3
    The camshaft on my 2004 Cherokee Laredo broke at about 10,000 miles. The fine, fine service at Daimler/Chrysler was such that they allowed the dealer to put a new camshaft and lifters in it, period. Never checked the valves... further, they returned it to me without even changing the oil! "Trust the "SPECIALISTs" is on the garbage that they mail me. I called to complain, and they told me that my wife couldn't tell them what brand oil I was using, as their reason for leaving the metal and anitfreeze contaminated oil in the engine after working on it. Never the less, the motor was never right again. It had no power, a terrible miss that everyone even my wife's 85 year old grandmother could feel while riding in the vehicle. However, three different JEEP dealers could find nothing wrong with it due to the fact that it was under warranty, and Daimler would not pay for any more work. Same issue on the recall for vibration on the brakes, it shook like crazy when the brakes were hot. I was told mine did not fit the replacement criteria under the recall. My Jeep averaged about 14 mph 4.0 6cyl. we live in a couny without a single red light, and trips to town are about 15 miles round trip. So the 14 could not be considered city. However, the motor was junk. I got tired of being screwed over by Daimler and their dealers (3) and riding and paying for a piece of Junk, sold the thing and will never buy another Chrysler product again.
    Sorry to hear about all your troubles with the dealers.

I purchased my 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee from Mac Grubbs Motors in Columbia, Mississippi. They handle Ford, GMC, Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep. They service our 2004 Dodge Ram 1500, 2004 Mustang GT, 2004 Ford Windstar Van and my Jeep. My experience has been fabulous including replacement, at no charge, of an air-conditioning compressor on the van after the warranty had expired.

They have good computer equipment and well trained technicians.

I've never had few problems with dealers. I don't understand why any dealer of any brand of automobile would not want to repair their product under warranty. Dealers make little on new car sales, better on used cars but their bread and butter is service. Good service means happy customers and better income for the dealership.

Integrity and honesty, I suppose, are found less and less often these days and for sure competence runs parallel to character. I urge you to meet personally with the regional representative and/or the general manager of the dealership.

There is someone who will not be happy with the quality of service you received and having the experience of finding that person would serve you well in the future on other similar problems. Find someone who understands that honesty and integrity are about faith in God-there are lots of folks who do care.

I really am sorry that you had this experience-it just really sucked.
  • tomloytomloy Member Posts: 2
    Look at the rear end ratios. The european rear end ratio runs a 3.55, while the US runs a 3.73.

Tom Loy
    Rear end ratios can effect mileage but the choice of rear end ratio depends on the application. A 3.55 will get a better mileage on flat roads at highway speeds but will get poorer mileage climbing or under load. It invlovesd the application of energy to produce force. http://www.howstuffworks.com/fpte.htm is a good site forlearning the basics.
  • pikalapikala Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (and love it), but I don't seem to be getting the mileage that everyone talks about. I haven't oficially done the test to see how much it gets, but I don't even get 300 miles to the tank. I'm getting around 270-280. Is this normal or is anyone else experiencing this??
  • patstratpatstrat Member Posts: 2
    Hi New Here...hows everyone doing?
    I have a 1998 jeep Grand limited with 111,000 miles I had it for a year now..nice car..lots of features..nice handling.. BUT the gas usage on this V8 car stinks...I am filling this car up almost every other day! 30.00 to 45.00 every time ... seems like I fill it up on Wed...and its at the halfway mark by Fri.. and I just drive the car around my neighhood!
    taking my kids back and forth to school...its like there is a hole in the tank where the gas just leaks out when I put gas in the SUV,,,,,is there anything that i can do to at least manage this problem..gas is too high for me to have to fill up
    almost every other day...
    Thanks
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    The diesel grand cherokee is available in showrooms now, as long as you are in the market for a new & maxxed-out-with-options model. (>$40k retail).
    My 2006 5.7 Hemi Grand Cherokee consistently averages between 17-18 mpg around town and between 20 and 23 in highway driving but I use a light foot. Consider a tune up, inflating tires to max pressure, and driving with a light foot. Consolidate driving needs and consider letting the kids walk to school.
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    walk to school? are you nuts
    this is the only country that people drive two blocks to the gym
  • spencer327spencer327 Member Posts: 106
    2007 GC Limited with hemi.
    12MPG around town. Many stops, trips under 1 mile
    18 to 20 on hwy 65 to 70. Does better with midgrade gas.
    love the GC.
    I have noticed something interesting about my 2006 Hemi GC Limited. When I am out west in altitudes above about 3000 feet, I can go to the lowest grade of gas without any change other than mileage increases about 2 mpg. I use mid-grade gas the rest of the time. It seems to be a combination of altitude and gas grade.

I have compared how my 4WD GC can perform, it's power potential, pulling ability and weight to other smaller and less capable 4WD's and I am convinced that it is far more fuel efficient. The "expert" comparisons are more like trying to compare a pony to a quarter horse-there can be no meaningful comparison unless capacity is considered.

I understand that Jeep is dealing with an uninformed public, but the Hemi GC is an outstanding product which the competition can't touch. Jeep needs to show a little more guts in backing up this great vehicle.
  • coolridercoolrider Member Posts: 84
    Hello to all, well it has come time to replace my Liberty CRD with another SUV with respectable fuel consumption and towing ability. I need to do this sooner (30days) than the new GM products will be for sale, ie Tahoe/Yukon Hybrids. I can purchase the JGC CRD for roughly the same as the Highlander Hybrid (mid 30's). Has anyone purchased the new CRD? Does anyone know where a leftover 06 Libby CRD is? Replies appreciated!
  • sonnet11sonnet11 Member Posts: 1
    2005 GC Limited with Hemi...
    10.5 mpg in town and 16 hwy with cruise at 70 on flat grade. MDS doesn't really exist, engine surges, flat acceleration unless geared down. Junk.
    I am curious about your post.

I just completed a 1,450 mile trip from Mississippi to Grand Lake, Colorado with a total elevation gain of 8,200 feet, traveling on mountain roads from Raton, New Mexico to Grand Lake, Co. I cruised at 76 mph on Interstate. My verified average mpg was 18.9. On Interstate stretches it average 20.3. I wonder about why your mileage is lower.

If you are concerned about gas mileage, why would have purchased a 5.7 Hemi Grand Cherokee in the first place?
  • 05jeepman05jeepman Member Posts: 12
    14mpg
    Odometer is at 26k, give or take a few miles.
    NORMAL City driving.
    I'm not convinced if an 05 GC Hemi has MDS, earlier truck/suv hemis' did not have this feature listed on the specs. I remember driving a new hemi durango when my 05 Jp Lib Ltd CRD was in the shop and the sticker said nothing about it as compared to my auto hemi, I could be wrong! Anyone know 4 sure?
  • eric091572eric091572 Member Posts: 13
    I also have a 05 JGC 4x4 Limited with Hemi, and my numbers are pretty much the same as sonnet's below. I live in L.A. where the traffic sucks. My combined average driving is around 12 MPG.

----------
    2005 GC Limited with Hemi...
    10.5 mpg in town and 16 hwy with cruise at 70 on flat grade. MDS doesn't really exist, engine surges, flat acceleration unless geared down. Junk.
    http://trucks.about.com/od/05jeepgrandcherokee/ss/06_jeepcherokee_4.htm

The 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi should have MDS, you can check it by VIN number, also see at what speed MDS is active for your car.
    I stand corrected, Thanks