Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Real World MPG

Comments

• justflooritjustfloorit Member Posts: 8
    My avg. over 3000 miles is 23.6 mpg with 70/30 city/hwy. A/C on most of the time, 75-80+ on hwys. :shades:
  • bob777bob777 Member Posts: 19
    We have about 10K miles on our Rav 4. The mileage has increased to about 25mpg. Our driving involves 70% in town and 30% highway miles. It seems it should be a bit better, but this is acceptable to us. We have not had a chance to check highway mileage since it is more broken in.
  • vivavegas99vivavegas99 Member Posts: 39
    I now have almost 1K on my Limited 4X4 V6 and I am averaging 19MPG 90% city / 10% highway. This is not by driving "economically correct". :) I am a lead foot and do jack rabbit starts. So for my type of driving, I'm not surprised at the mpg. Plus it's been over 100 Degrees so I have not driven it w/out the AC on yet.
  • thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    I just completed a round trip loop to Ocean City Maryland. I filled up at the start of the trip and after a 299.8 mile round trip I squeezed (I topped off after the pump stopped)10.842 gallons into the tank. That calculates to 27.65 mpg. That's the best I've ever gotten. I was doing 70+ mph most of the way .. tried to keep the tach at about 2k. For a V6 that isn't bad.
  • redtrain75redtrain75 Member Posts: 15
    We have 550 miles on our new base RAV-4. With living in Metropolitan suburb of Gahanna/Westerville Ohio with 70% in town stop and go and 30% freeway driving we have gotten 24.5 and 24.9 MPG. I guess I was hoping for a little better as our V6 Venture usually got anywhere from 23-27 with the same driving.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    We are constantly getting about 20 MPG about 70% highway and 30% city. I was hoping for about 23 MPG. Best I got all highway was 27 back from Branson to Wichita, KS. Not too bad.
  • philholtphilholt Member Posts: 4
    I've just returned from a cross country (Connecticut to Washington, with lots of side trips) trip covering 13000 miles over the past 3.5 months. On the highway, with a passenger and luggage load of about 600 pounds and driving on the interstates 75-80 mph, got 25-26 mpg. The car in all respects was great.
  • gilvkonagilvkona Member Posts: 31
    I just got back from taking my RAV4 across the country. I averaged 28.6 mpg and much of that time was at 70-75 mph whenever I could on the Interstate. The A/C was usually on. When I drove it around town, I got closer to 23mpg. Before I left, my normal driving is about half on the interstate and half in town. I was getting around 23mph then too. It seems it gets 29mpg on the open road no matter what I do. I did get 33mpg once when I drove the entire tankful of gas around 55 on some 2 lane open roads in UT with the A/C off.
  • eroseros Member Posts: 27
    I have now driven 1,000mi in a 2006 RAV4 4WD. I'm getting only 20MPH doing 90% city driving,much of it with air conditioning in August. I had hoped to get closer to 23 :cry:. I'm sure that it will do better when I'm out on the road, but most of my driving is going to be local.
    I am getting better but at the bottom of City with City and highway combined. This is the first vehicle that I have owned that I have found that my driving / MPG has been lower than what is on the sticker.
  • raviola4raviola4 Member Posts: 52
    I've finally got a little over 5000 miles on my 4cyl Rav. Mileage on 1st few fill ups in beginning around 23.5 in mostly local driving. That has dropped off some. Not sure if gas locally i use had the 10% Ethanol crap in it then or not and i'm told that affects mileage. Probably off 1 mpg, not much, but only helps to send me (and others)back to the pumps for more gas, more dependancy on foreign oil yada yada. Still have not had a solid 100% trip. When highway mixed in getting around 26 mpg, but alot of 70 mph driving involved. And sticker mileage ratings based on 50-55 mph.
    We have the 4 cyl with 1,000 miles now. 200 mile road trip we got 30.2 MPG.
  • orioninilorioninil Member Posts: 39
    11,100 miles and counting.

V6 4X4

24.68 average MPG

50/50 highway/city

87 octane
  • flyfatlifeflyfatlife Member Posts: 1
    Mine is about 25 mpg for highway, 89 Catane and about 80MPH.
    Does it suck?
  • chuck75chuck75 Member Posts: 9
    Here's ours just turned 1100 miles
    Holiday weekend & family getting together round trip 550 to 600 mile (some shopping) 90-95% hwy 70-75 avg sometimes 80mph trying to vary cruise control (and playing with it since this style is new to us, first foreign car)
    tanks avg 24.9
    stopped and topped off tank twice once down and once coming back - hard to pass up gas 87 octane at 2.11 per gallon. -))
    enjoy the rest of the holidays everyone
    chuck75
  • javatechiejavatechie Member Posts: 11
    I am averaging around 23 mpg for 60% hwy and 40% city driving, driven 750 miles so far. I am using premium gas.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    V4? I don't think so.
    Update
    15,500 miles
    V6 4X4
    50/50 highway/city
    87 octane

24.25 average total
    21.25 average since November

AVERAGE IS GOING DOWN SIGNIFICANTLY WITH THE CHICAGO WINTER GAS BLEND.
  • wuzzasailorwuzzasailor Member Posts: 19
    Owner's manual says not to drive at one speed for a long time during first 1000 miles. What is a long time? I thought that the VVTI was supposed to 'learn' the type of driving that you do in order to maximize efficiency. If turnpike driving is 80% of my miles, how can it learn it if I don't drive it?
  • cgj005cgj005 Member Posts: 1
    Chicago, city driving mostly 70%city/30% hwy
    so far ~1200mi on the car
    purchased in Jan.

about 14-15 MPG average
    i only get a little over 200mi on a full tank then my
    gas light comes on.
  • lirlir Member Posts: 81
    That's the lowest MPG I've heard to date. Maybe you should have it checked? My driving is 100% city and I get about 21. I have 4500 miles, I4, 2 wheel drive.
    Mostly 2 lane hiway around Wichita trying to get that first 1000 miles out of the way. 25.26 mpg
  • jdwheezerjdwheezer Member Posts: 9
    Is there a break-in period that, once achieved, will result in improved mileage? With a little over 1,600 miles I am getting about 19mpg in mixed driving with my RAV4 4WD V6 limited.
  • charliesodacharliesoda Member Posts: 3
    A little over 2000k and I'm only getting 180mi/tank on avg.
    drive 50-50 highw-city. It's doing worse that my 05 ex-4Runner.
    totally let down for this results! is there anything thta can be done with this?
    pls help.
    There is a breakin, first 1000 miles, but as to whether milage will improve, don't know. Most of my driving is highway and in five tanks, I've ranged from 22.3 to 25.6.
  • dugiehowsadugiehowsa Member Posts: 1
    2007 Rav4 V6 AWD Base Model.
    2500 miles.
    Getting an average about 22.5 MPG, with driving breakdown of 75/25 hi-way/city
    With the 16 gallon tank, I find that the gas light goes off with about 3 gallongs to go.
    Located in MA.
    Update
    18,000 miles
    V6 4X4
    50/50 highway/city
    87 octane

24.15 average total
  • dtown40dtown40 Member Posts: 18
    2007 Rav4
    V6 2WD
    1200 total miles
    70/30 City/Highway
    22.5 MPG

I live about 3 miles from work, so the car doesnt get a good warm-up in the morning or afternoon.
  • outpostnoutpostn Member Posts: 3
    In first 1000 miles, getting 22 MPG for mostly city driving, no trips over 40 miles yet. Can't complain.
  • swcoloradoswcolorado Member Posts: 9
    V6 Sport 4X4, 1,500 miles mixed on paved and dirt country roads, mountain roads and passes, and small, 2 stop light town. I'm getting 26-27 mountain roads if I keep it at 65 mph, 25 on the county roads and small town. I noticed an improvement in the last two weeks, this may be because of the shift over to summer blend. Mountain roads and cruise control don't work that well, the car stays in 3rd for most of the time, both uphill and down.
  • terrytennisterrytennis Member Posts: 4
    V6 BASE 4X4, 700 miles, mixed driving, I'm only getting about 18 mpg. (Live in NYC area)
  • cruiser10cruiser10 Member Posts: 12
    RAV4 Sport V-6 4x4 2007 @ 3000 miles
    Last Tank: 22.63 (local driving - mostly city with short 4 mile jaunts on a freeway)
    Overall Average: 22.08
    Best: 25.78 (All Highway)
    Worst: 20.53 (local driving)
  • jarekjarek Member Posts: 24
    Average over 5000 miles - 19.6 miles per gallon.
    Only premium gas, 50/50 highway - city driving.
    Soft on acceleration.
    Dealer says these results are O'K and there is no reason to file a complaint.

This is getting close to my 2004 V8 Tahoe.

What is happening with Toyota?
  • cbmortoncbmorton Member Posts: 252
    V6 AWD, 6000 miles. Only regular gas. Most driving is short trips (<5 miles) with a light touch on the pedal.

Best: 28.7 mpg (summer highway)
    Worst: 17.2 mpg (winter city)

Overall average: 23.1 mpg
    Got about 6500 miles now, averaging 22-23 mpg overall, but recent trip through Kansas rains, 70+ mph, windows up, ac on, 27 mpg?
  • feliciatwofeliciatwo Member Posts: 68
    4WD is NOT AWD.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Huh?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may be interested in 4WD & AWD systems explained.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I know the difference between AWD and 4WD, I just didn't catch the relevance of his reply to the other post. But now I realize he was pointing out the RAV4 is 4WD and not AWD. (Still don't think the differentiation matters in the context of this thread, but anyway.....)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I was sure you did but I put in the link just in case anyone tuned in late and may have been perplexed by the exchange.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • rstibbettsrstibbetts Member Posts: 5
    2007 V6 AWD with about 1300 miles. Have now filled up four times.

Tank 1 22.2 MPG. Lots of suburban stop-go.
    Tank 2 27.6 MPG All HWY miles against a head wind
    Tank 3 25.4 MPG Mostly HWY miles
    Tank 4 24.4 MPG HWY miles against a headwind and speeding

I think the vehicle will get very close to posted MPG if driven reasonably. Overall I am pleased, as it is close to Highlander Hybrid without the extra cost.
    Agreed - 4WD and AWD tend to mean different things to different people anyway. I subscribe to the definitions given at the beginning of the thread tidester linked to, which places the RAV4 in the AWD camp, regardless of the "4WD" badge on the back door.

Keeping on topic - having put some additional highway miles on I've found that 28 mpg is easily achievable and with an effort to drive for economy I can crack 30 mpg.
  • zivbndzivbnd Member Posts: 4
    I am a bit surprised by my mileage, my 2007 I4 RAV4 is getting about 17.5 mpg with the AC on (down from 21.5 average in the spring) with a light foot. I was expecting to get about 90% of the EPA numbers which is what I got in the cooler months, not the 75% I am getting now. Would an axle back exhaust system help? I can't find a catback system for the RAV4. Would a better air intake system be of any use?

(I have read a lot of the comments on the forum, and haven't found any mentions of anything that might help, which makes me wonder if I am not being realistic about trying to improve the mileage, even if it just gets me to 20 mpg w/ac. Filling up every 250 miles is getting kind of irritating.)
  • sidious6688sidious6688 Member Posts: 80
    First fill up, V6, 4x4, 25.1 mpg average. this was about 1 100 mile trip on highway plus 250 miles of 5 mile at a time in town driving. Excellent!
  • terrytennisterrytennis Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2007 Rav4 V6 AWD with less then 2000 miles, I am only getting around 18 mpg (NYC area).
  • dtown40dtown40 Member Posts: 18
    I have always kept very close tabs on fuel consumption in my vehicals I have a 2007 Rav4 2WD, with a V6 engine. With only 3000 or so miles on it so far, my worst mileage has been 21.6, and my best mileage has been 28.1. From my own experience, fuel economy seems to drop a bit in the summer months, then in winter. I suspect that fuel blends may have something to do with it, as I know they change from season to season here in Texas.
  • leeharvey418leeharvey418 Member Posts: 38
    Depending on where you are, you may be better off going with 87 octane than with premium. Many areas use ethanol as an octane booster, and an ethanol blend will have less chemical energy per volume than straight gas. I noticed this when I lived in Iowa- mid-grade is the cheapest gas there, so I always used it. I noticed about a 2-3 mpg drop using the 10% ethanol blend. (just enough of a difference to negate the price difference, but the owner's manual called for 91 octane anyway.)

Try a couple of tanks of regular and see if your mileage improves.
  • leeharvey418leeharvey418 Member Posts: 38
    Just burned through the first full tank that we bought (I'm not convinced that the tank was fully topped up when we took delivery). 24.4 mpg with about 100 miles on the highway and the remainder (~170) mostly in town/traffic. This is almost the same mileage we were getting with the '05 Camry 4-cyl that we traded in to get the RAV4. I could easily squeeze 35+ mpg (EPA estimated 34 hwy) out of the Camry on long highway trips. I don't expect the RAV4 to do quite that well, but I will be surprised if I can't at least match the EPA highway numbers.

BTW- I can't say it enough... the RAV4 is, in the immortal words of Peter Griffin, FREAKIN' SWEET!
    Just to update my results from a couple of months ago - after about 7000 miles I have a new personal best - 30.2 mpg. This was achieved on a five-hour trip, about 3/4 of which was two-lanes with speeds around 60 mph, and the remaining 1/4 on a freeway at 70 mph. The return trip, with a headwind and A/C on most of the way but same route/speeds, dipped to 28.0 mpg. This vehicle rewards a light foot when you're trying for those high fuel economy numbers.
  • djc1959djc1959 Member Posts: 5
    V6 Fwd I am getting 23.5 MPG in the City only have 1100 miles on it.